Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I agree, and have no problem with that. We need to do that.

That's great to see/hear and honestly I doubt many would honestly disagree with that as a goal for society. The issue is how you do it. The issue is that some focus on the small % that abuse the system rather than focus on the big picture. Some focus on the fact that anything run by government - state or federal - is inevitably inefficient.

I also think many assume that anyone getting free "anything" immediately lose any desire to work to improve their lot in life and will forever after have their hand out - something I strongly disagree with. I believe that you could take any individual who has ever read or posted on Dawgtalkers - give them the bare minimum of assistance for them to "live" for 6 months: A free room with a bed. Enough to eat 1,500-2,000 calories of food a day. Hell maybe a TV to watch with basic cable. . . . . . . . Not a one of us would settle for that and would all work our tails off to get a job so we could get "more". If we look around and think that's what "we" would all do - why do we assume that others would settle for a crappy, bare minimum but free lifestyle??

As for the abusers - they are in every walk of life, from the CEO's of Enron and other such billion dollar corporations, to those actively avoiding taxes, to people working two jobs and only every actually working one of them ... I bet we've all worked alongside someone that did the minimum, took credit for work and effort of others etc .... they are all cut from the same cloth in my eyes. jmo