Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by mac
Peen...some of your quotes concerning the LB position are listed below...

...#1..."Backer units are the weakest group because teams have the LB position at the bottom of the totem pole on the defensive unit."

...#2..."Being the least important group on the defensive side, I don't know."

I know what I said. I believe that.

I never said they aren't important. They just aren't as important as the other units.

Peen...No doubt about "THE BROWNS devaluing the LB group", especially under the leadership of those calling the shots over the last 3 yrs or so....under GM Berry and DC Woods.

Many are counting on the Browns new Defensive Coordinator, Jim Schwartz to fix what is wrong with the Browns defense. Schwartz played LBer in High School and lettered all 4 yrs in college, playing LB at Georgetown. Schwartz went on to coach the LBer position in college and in the Pros before being named as a Defensive Coordinator for the Titans, Bills and Eagles as well as HC of the Lions.

I do not expect Jim Schwartz to devalue the importance of the Browns LB position like Joe Woods did in past few years.

Also, it would not surprise me if the Browns added additional LB talent. Whatever it takes to improve the Browns defense.

I am really confused about how this LB conversation is still going on.

Remember back to last year's games. What sticks out about our defense?

1. Secondary breakdowns (Jets game)
2. Defensive line getting owned on running plays (see Atlanta game)
3. Questionable coaching

I'm not saying our LB group is a room of world-beaters, but they were also so far down the list of things to worry about. The only thing I might be worried about is #1 on that list since our personnel changes have been minimal (I know that we signed safeties and got rid of JJ3, but those busted coverages were usually a tandem effort between a CB and a safety, no?)... however, I think a lot of that leftover worry is mitigated by addressing #3.

oobs...first, welcome back...we should probably expect the subject matter of this thread to continue until the fans can see improvement in the defense's performance, comparing 2022 vs 2023.

While I agree with your noticing #1.#2 and #3, I will add that I constantly caught myself saying to myself...OH NO, who is covering the flat..?

...then watching our Browns defensive players looking at each other as if to say, it wasn't my responsibility to cover the flat.

From game one of last season to late in the season, Woods was unable to adjust the Browns defense to insure that the flat was defended.

I expect to see improvement in the basic area of defensive responsibility each Browns defensive player is responsible for...know your assignment..then execute it.