Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
2022 Kelce stats - 110 receptions - 1338 yards - 12 TD's
4-years Njoku stats - 118 receptions - 1357 yards - 11 TD's

Imagine writing this out thinking it is a legit argument.

Your comment would only lead me to believe that you believe the Browns have gotten a return on their investment in Njoku and that he's more than worthy of the 2nd highest TE cap hit in the NFL in 2024. When you believe your player is deserving of the top pay at the position, it shouldn't take 6 plus years to get a return on that investment. Yet it's taken Njoku his 4 most recent seasons of work to equal the current best TE in football, Kelce's, production in a single season in 2022. I actually believe that legitimizes the argument that he's grossly overpaid. Obviously, you think not and have some excuse for Njoku's continued failure to give a valid return on investment. So now we are entering year 7 and still waiting for that same BS story of Njoku's potential and the same old, continued adage - "this will be his year."

I am saying you "stat comparing" one of the best TEs in the history of the NFL having one of his best seasons in his career playing with arguably the best QB in the NFL (perhaps one of the best ever when his career is over) naturally getting more targets because Tyreek Hill was traded and became THE #1 target, to four years of Njoku playing with QBs like Baker Mayfield, Jacoby Brissett, Case Keenum, and Watson who hadn't played in 2 years is ridiculous. Further, two of those years playing behind Austin Hooper (talk about a bad contract), one year when he only played in four games (because of a season ending injury) and who finally had the opportunity to get the lion share of the TE snaps within those four years, just last year. When he got those snaps, he ranked fifth among all TEs in receiving grades from PFF since you lean on those grades more than most. He was top 10 in targets, receptions, yards among all TEs-- with a career back-up and Watson in six games back after a 2 year absence.

I don't know why you are skipping all the way to 2024 when so many things can happen with a player's contract in terms of perceived value as we've seen countless teams restructure contracts over and over again. I'm happy to address 2023 which, again, has yet to be played.....he's 11th among TEs in cap hit. His guaranteed contract money overall (which is what people claim to be the most important) is currently 8th which will go down as other TEs signed extended contracts.

I'm more than happy to have a reasonable argument regarding Njoku's value on this team and his rank amongst all TEs, but it's an absolutely ridiculous comparison to Kelce and leap frogging to 2024 cap when (1) contracts adjust all the time, and (2) other signed TEs could change that ranking seems meaningless and silly.