Originally Posted by mac
jc...

Andrew Berry cut Austin Watkins, the Browns best WR of 2023 preseason ...a young receiver who led the Browns in receptions, yards and touchdowns in preseason. Watkins is a 25 yr old, 6-2/209lb WR with excellent hands and proved to be durable.

Goodwin has done NOTHING for the Browns in the preseason, but try to heal his "blood clots"...plus he's a going to 33 yrs old in Nov. and is smallish in size, 5-9, 185 WR who ran 4.27-40 many years ago.
Goodwin catches about half the passes targeted toward him. Goodwin's injury history over the last 2 yrs is below:

MARQUISE GOODWIN INJURY HISTORY (2021-2022)

Shoulder & wrist strain....Week 15 (2022)....Games missed-2

Groin strain....Week 8 (2022)....Games missed-1

Back strain....Week 4 (2022)....Games missed-0

Knee sprain....Week 4 (2022)....Games missed 1

Foot injury....Week 12 (2021)....Games missed 3

Hopefully Andrew Berry will get lucky and get Watkins on the practice squad. Berry open for criticism due to this move. Let's hope it works out ok for the Browns..!

I don't know if that would be excessive. I don't hear you complaining about Hospital ward missing multiple games a season

The bottom line is it was determined that Goodwin would give us more help this year. I will also add that it isn't over just yet. I liked Watkins as well. It may not be over for his return.

I'll also add that i don't think Goodwin is who bumped Watkins off the roster. I think it was Ventrone and or Schwartz. I think it came down to Diabate or Watkins. In the end it was determined that Diabate was going to have a bigger impact. I don't think Watkins was going to help special teams and the D. Both areas that needed to improve.