Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I know you love to use semantics as a means to avoid things. But saying he was responsible means he walked right into them. Since it seems you're trying to change the scoreboard here you must also account for the times he held the ball so long. The NFL average time a QB has protection to get rid of the ball has been posted on this board many times. If your QB keeps staying back there holding the ball the OL shouldn't be blamed for that. You may wish to take those times into account. Or maybe not.

I prefer to look at context to try to understand things. You seem to love to use vague generalities, flat out inaccurate characterizations, and straw man arguments to support agendas. You may think you are using "stats" and "facts," but, even if they are, they aren't worth anything when used in those straw man arguments.

Does "saying he was responsible" actually mean "he walked right into them" as you say? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Where are you getting your numbers and how do they actually define the "responsibility stat?" I'm guessing there is a time element involved, as you eventually get to, but a QB isn't always the reason the ball is held. They don't have/use the option of holding receivers responsible for not being open. Sometimes the QB is "missing" (not seeing) open receivers because the timing of the play is spoiled by pressure. Sometimes its not just one thing. There is a time to pass stat. There is also a time to pressure stat. They can be inversely related. If a QB is under duress before the hot read can even get open, the ball can't come out quick and the QB is going to be running for his life. He'll be holding the ball while doing this and if he scrambles for a long time it will have a large effect on his time to throw stat. You can get it out in 2.2 seconds 10 times, but throw in one 10 second scramble play and the average jumps to 2.9 seconds. Players that have "scrambling ability" will frequently have higher time to throw stats for this reason. Perhaps having a stat that looked at the mode (as in mean, median, and mode-- most frequent) of a QB's pass times would be a helpful complement to the average.

I'm not trying to change the scoreboard, I'm trying to look beyond it. Some people are box score scouts. Some aren't. I'm not. You seem to be.

It is what it is. For me, box score scouting (or "stat" scouting) is annoying. Some people appear to need the simplicity, and/or for other people to do their thinking/work. For me, simplicity is insufficient, especially when upon further examination the simplicity appears to mislead or at best not really tell one a whole lot.

*shrug* I'm going through the ALL-22 now.