Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
That's why I'm saying there should be a way to get the choices thrown out, and make them come up with better ones.
If you only give bad choices to voters and their only option is to pick one, the results aren't really the voters fault. It's the fault of those giving the choices. We need to give voters the ability to get rid of bad choices.

While I certainly do not disagree with you, as I said, it's the voters who select these people. Republicans voters have their choice of who they elect as their nominee for president. They have current and former members of house, the senate and vice presidents to choose from. But to republican voters trump is the best person for the job. And the democrats aren't any better. Out of their rank and file they selected an 80 year old Biden to run.

So who other than their own party members do you think has the right to select who represents their party in an election? While I think your idea is sound based on principal, creating a process where you force a party to select someone not of their own choosing is a very slippery slope and one the people in power would never allow through the process. The best thing people can do thus far is vote third party in protest. And as we've seen that hasn't been a very productive path to walk down in order to solve the problem.

It shouldn't just be people voting for their own party. Democrats (or any segment of the entire voter base of large enough size) should have a way to vote out a Republican candidate. And the opposite. Eventually, once all the lousy candidates got voted as unacceptable, they'd have to give a sane/"compromise" candidate. Would it extend the voting process? Yes. You'd have to go multiple rounds. For me, the future of the country would be worth it.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion we should do away with both parties. I think there is an argument to be made that they violate antitrust laws. The two parties effectively have a monopoly and make it impossible for independents to have a realistic shot. Plus, the evidence of the past several decades should amply illustrate the dangers of groupthink in politics.