Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by jfanent
Flacco did say he attributes some of this success to being fresh and able to play at this point of the season without having 3 months of wear and tear on his body. Who knows what shape he'd be in if he started from week one.

You bring up a very valid and interesting point. I've never been one to advocate that Flacco be the starter in Cleveland but a very valuable backup. Considering the points you made in your post it only solidifies that opinion for me.

What Pit ! with all do respect, well maybe a little LOL

You were asking the question a bit about who would be the better QB to start

As the Browns were moving in the direction of making the play-offs

DTR or the vetern Flacco

So I know in some way I'll catch some kind of hell for this

But ! wasn't you kind of advocating Flacco ?

Oh boy ! I'm in trouble now smile

You're not in trouble. lol

I certainly was and am promoting Flacco be the starter. But it wasn't nor is it for the entire season. What I meant, and you are correct that I certainly wasn't clear, is that as the back-up, between DTR and Flacco I think it's very clear which of the two is the best QB at this point in their respective careers. The team was and is in the payoff hunt and I didn't think it was wise to start DTR in the role when watson couldn't play.

I don't think you would want Flacco to be the named starter going into the season next year. He will be 39 next season and a 17 game schedule would be grueling on him. The situation was that the Browns were and are in playoff contention and they were entering the 12th game on the schedule. That left 6 games to go on the schedule. At that juncture I thought Flacco would give the Browns the best chance to make the playoffs and still do over any other QB that was on the roster at that time. Coming in as the starter from the backup role is what I was advocating for.