Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by mac
"The reason he was let go in Cleveland was because ownership and [Chief Strategy Officer] Paul DePodesta, not Kevin Stefanski, were frustrated with the progress Deshaun Watson has made. I don't think the people who made that decision really knew Van Pelt's value to that staff."

Haslam went looking for someone to blame for Watson's lack of progress...that certain someone volunteered VanPelt...

But, how is Watson going to show progress when he's recovering FROM SURGERY on his throwing shoulder and the doctors will be the authority that determines when Watson will be cleared to begin throwing a football again?

Looks like those who made the trade for Watson are beginning to panic a bit.

"Hey boss, come on in."

Haslam looks angry, wringing his hands, eyebrows stitched together. "You know Kev, this Watson things has us looking like fools, the sharks want their pound of flesh."

Stefanski looks confused, cocks his head. "I'm not sure what you're getting at..." He pauses as he suddenly wonders if he's getting fired.

"We need to let someone go, a scapegoat." Haslam sits down, crosses his legs, dusts some crumbs off the arm of the chair. He sips his bourbon as he stares into space.

"Well, there are strong rumors Brian's gonna get that job in Tennessee and Bill will probably join him... we could fire him before he quits? I mean, we'll let him know and wait 'til the rumors are confi..."

"NO, you fool", he slams his glass down. "I can't fire a legend! How would that look?? I'm tired of looking like an
overreaching, incompetent owner."

The tension is palpable. Kevin feels the heat rising in the room, he walks over and raises the window. In the distance, he hears a dog barking. It's a small, harmless dog, probably a chihuahua, the irony is not lost on him.

"Okay... well, Stump is an easy choice. I think he's probably leaving anyway. Especially if the rumors about he and Kareem's girlfriend are true."

"That won't cut it. That's an ounce of flesh and he's another NFL legend." Haslam sips his fine liquor... "AVP has got to go."

Stefanski's elbows hit the desk and his chin falls between his thumbs. His biggest fear confirmed. As the voices in his head take hold, Haslam's begins to fade..."Actually, let's clean house a bit. Who's that Tight End guy? I don't really care for him..."

Haslam pops up and grabs his glass. Reenergized, strutting toward the door he pauses... "And one more, get rid of at least one more, we'll look more focused if it's viewed as 'restructuring'". He turns and smiles, "thanks Kev". He downs the last of his drink and firmly places his glass on the file cabinet marked "Guard Rails" as he leaves.

Stefanski is now rubbing his temples as he glances across the room. He sees his playchart... it seems a million miles away. He panics as he realizes...

Grabbing his phone, he quickly swipes and dials.

The seconds seem like minutes as he waits for the tone.

Berry answers... "Hey, how's my favorite coach of the ye..."

"Operation: Wafflehouse".

"I'll be right there."

This. Was. Awesome.