Just spitballing here but it seems Halsam could do much of what you have described on much less acreage than what he purchased. I believe it could be accomplished using half or less than half the land he purchased. But can you imagine how much the rest of that land would be worth if he decided to sell it off after the stadium was complete? The value of that remaining land would skyrocket.

I can understand why the citizens of Cleveland would be upset about the possibility of the stadium being built outside the city. I can also see how Halslam may see that as the most advantageous move he could make. Most people hate the idea of they themselves having to deal with the government. Until it's Haslam. Then they expect him to deal with it at possibly much great expense to himself. Cleveland already lost the Browns once by dragging its heals. If Haslam can't work out a satisfactory deal with the city of Cleveland, at least he isn't bribing another city and moving the Browns. Those who remember those days should be thankful for that.

But tradition is something that's hard to let go of.