Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
It’s not a head scratcher at all. I said this in the Winston thread and someone quoted a piece that said the browns had a similar take, which was they don’t want a QB controversy. They understood that Flacco had delierious, irrational levels of love from Cleveland fans and they don’t want fans, journo’s and maybe even players calling for Flacco if Watson has 2-3 poor games. And the truth is, Flacco ain’t gonna get anyone to the promise land. He’s going to give the game away at some point. If you don’t know that, you’re fooling yourself. So why have your $230MM starter hearing the calls, reading the Mary Kay articles and looking over his shoulder if you’re going to get the same production from another QB?

This 100%

Flacco has also said he wants to start, so there's fuel on the kindling before there's even a spark. People can yell and scream that this makes no sense, but it makes perfect sense to me. Winston is the same guy but 10 years younger. And please don't tell me about pedigree, the past has nothing to do with the future of a 40-year-old back-up with just enough jeanie-in-the-bottle that fans will scream his name.

6-4 230 and willing to sling it with an able arm. Winston knows and has stated that he's here to fill the backup role and support DeShaun Watson. If Watson were to miss five or more games, I can't see a case where Flacco would bend the needle one way or another. We were lucky we had a defense that overcame his incredible turnover rate last year.