Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't believe that playing "3 times better" is the measuring stick. You have levels of players and their value is, or at least should be based on which level they fit into. As an example a WR who catches for 600 yards per season doesn't mean a WR who catches for 1200 yards per season isn't worth three times as much. It's true his production in only double that of the WR who catches for 600 yards but he is in the elite level of WR's and that's what the market is set at for his services.

I think bone hit the nail on the head. If Bush can fill the needs at the position adequately there is no need to sign a player at the elite level at the position. That does not however mean that White isn't worth the money for a team that requires a better player in that role.

Right. I think that last part is important. Fit is important. Actual/expressed Value is largely dependent on what one is asked to do.

I think our FO probably also considers the idea of surplus value. They might think Bush's cost is low enough that he'd provide more value than that number. I.e, he's costing 2.5M while providing "3M" in value. Meanwhile, White might provide 8M of "actual value" while wanting to be paid upwards of 10M with multiple years of guarantees.