Thread Like Summary
clwb419, RememberMuni
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1908185 12/04/2021 5:52 PM
by clwb419
clwb419
Anyone on here collect trading cards?

My brother has been doing it for a long time and I started more recently. It is a combination of connecting with him and my nephew more, a fun hobby (and expensive one), and time killer (too much free time during covid). I'm pretty much just soccer (NWSL) and NFL, but the trading card industry is well beyond that (all sports, Poke Mon, other games, military, entertainment, etc...) and seems to be growing like crazy and becoming almost to the point where it is outpricing itself. It'll be interesting to see what happens as covid reduces to see if the industry slows down and prices reduce a bit.

I was selling some cards, but that'll stop in 2022, as tax laws will change (eBay, etc... will start sending 1099s for anyone selling over $600 total for the year (and will be considered short term capital gains from what I understand) - it is $20k now - and will be up to individuals to prove to government "profit" or not). Without starting a business and documenting literally every purchase, inventory, etc... it just isn't worth it any more (starting in January). I do have some interest in trading and selling/buying offline but haven't spent the time yet looking into this.

Would love to hear who else collects, trades, who you break with, where you buy from, collectibles insurance, etc... and what people have in their collection.

My new favorite card is a 2021 Panini XR Nick Chubb patch auto 1/1 (for those of you not into this - Panini XR is the brand. It has a jersey patch in the card and Nick Chubb autographed the card The 1/1 means it is 1 of 1, the only one made) I got it as part of a break this week and am stoked to receive it.

edit: refs I wasn't sure if this is Tailgate or Everything Else. I only collect sports cards, but this could easily turn into a more generic thread. If you prefer this be in Everything else, please either move, or delete and I can recreate in Everything Else.
Liked Replies
#1908673 Dec 7th a 05:01 PM
by PortlandDawg
PortlandDawg
I’m in a similar situation. I have Topps and Donruss sets from 1988. Nothing of value except a Tom Glavin rookie card.
The rest of the cards aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. I may give them to a nephew… to give to his yet to be born son… to give to his son… to give to his son. By then having something to easily start fires will be valuable. Especially after all the books have been burned in our post apocalyptic hellscape.
1 member likes this
#1913701 Dec 24th a 11:01 PM
by EveDawg
EveDawg
The other cool part is that the card was actually signed by him and Beckett witnessed. Not a sticker autograph.
1 member likes this