Thread Like Summary
EveDawg, FATE, FORTBROWNFAN
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1914783 12/27/2021 6:02 AM
by Clemdawg
Clemdawg
Anyone who is a fan of sports, die hard or casual, realizes that there is a soundscape to the game regardless of sport. Football sounds different than baseball sounds different than basketball sounds different than hockey sounds different than soccer, etc. There exists one sound that is constant in all of these sports: the people who are paid to describe to us what we are already seeing. These dolts are my focus tonight.

Since I started this mess, it's only appropriate that I start it off with two of my own favorite examples.

1. "The defense is going to really pin their ears back , and go after the offense..."

[Game clock]: 6... 5... 4...
[Defensive player]: " Oh man! We got these boys back on their heels... lemme get up under this helmet with these clothespins... " WTF is that phrase even supposed to mean? How did anything this stupid ever become a cliche? Or is there some real life application that makes this weird comment relevant? I have never understood this one...

2. "A spectacular play by the wide receiver! He fought off double coverage, and went up to take that ball at its highest point..."
No, he didn't. If anything, that wide receiver went up, and caught that ball at one of its lowest possible trajectory points . Logic (and geometry) dictates that the highest point of every pass is the midpoint of its trajectory. In fact, there is only one lower trajectory point than the QB's launchpoint and the WR's catchpoint.. the ground, if the ball falls incomplete.

So why do we accept such stupid (and misleading) cliches from announcers that insult our intelligence?

This is the place that you can use to post your own personal pet peeves about the dumb chit that announcers say.

This could be fun. I can't wait to hear which other ones bug the mess out of you.
Liked Replies
#1914866 Dec 27th a 06:29 PM
by Dave
Dave
I remember the time the camera showed a solitary fan of the losing team staying to the bitter end, and the guy flipped the bird at them. Don said something like "Well he still thinks they're #1, Howard.". Cosell lost it, IIRC.
2 members like this
#1914876 Dec 27th a 06:54 PM
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
Then there was this doozy....

Then there was the Cleveland game when the Browns had a player on their roster named Fair Hooker, which opened the door for Meredith to chirp: "Fair Hooker...I've never met one."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/536138-don-meredith-he-was-simpy-dandy-on-monday-nights

Man do I miss listening to him in the booth.
1 member likes this
#1914933 Dec 28th a 04:46 AM
by Clemdawg
Clemdawg
See?
I'm never wrong.
1 member likes this
#1914905 Dec 27th a 10:47 PM
by Bard Dawg
Bard Dawg
Can we still kneel at your feet? That was quite an explanation. LOL
1 member likes this