Thread Like Summary
dawg66, FATE, PastorMarc, ScottPlayersFacemask
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1925776 02/21/2022 2:05 AM
by bugs
bugs
Since OL is a major key to the Browns offense, I thought I start a thread on the offensive lineman.

Tyler Linderbaum, Center from Iowa, may be someone to look at. I remember how Alex Mack contributed. I'm not usually a fan of taking IOL in the first round, but you don't see good Centers ranked this high.

From PFF:
12. C Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa

The best center prospect we've seen in the PFF College era. He was already the highest-graded center in the country in 2020, but he took his game to new heights in 2021, earning a 95.4 overall grade.

Kyle Crabbs Grade: 88.00/100 (First Round Value)
Liked Replies
#1925780 Feb 21st a 03:43 AM
by jaybird
jaybird
Doubt he's there when we pick... also, don't want OL in first round this year... our OL is pretty good... we need play makers... I'll be shocked if we don't go WR at 13
2 members like this
#1925956 Feb 22nd a 08:06 PM
by FATE
FATE
j/c...

I just looked at the last 30 years of NFL Drafts. Only 16 centers have even garnered a 1st round pick. The highest of the bunch was the Browns Steve Everitt, drafted at 14.

I see seven Pro Bowlers... in 30 years of 1st round centers.

Is Linderbaum a perennial PBer and possible HOF talent? He would be the highest drafted Center since 1976.

Originally Posted by bugs
How many more years can you rely on Tretter?

Well, the easy answer is "at least one".

There is no way (in my mind) you can pass on the bulk of *possible elite* WRs available, at our slot, when that intersects with our area of greatest need.

Big picture? Draft for the future? We need to draft to see if we have a future. At least the future we thought we had planned for.

I draft a WR high, I sign another high-production WR in FA. I find out if this offense, coach and fQB are what I want on my payroll.

That is the only path to the future, and the best way to finish meandering towards an accurate pic of the future. It's now or wait another three years to see if you have a fQB never.
1 member likes this
#1926017 Feb 23rd a 05:52 AM
by ScottPlayersFacemask
ScottPlayersFacemask
Fate,

I posted the same thing about centers in the draft thread on the 11th. I don’t see a need to draft for one this high with other needs, and if we do…there better be a trade back.

—————

Over the past 20 NFL drafts, 10 centers have been selected in the first round. Of those, the highest drafted center was Damien Woody, selected 17th overall by the Patriots back in 1999. The other nine centers have been drafted anywhere from 18th thru 31st, with an average pick of 23. Suffice to say, centers rarely go early in the draft, and on the random year when a center does get selected in the first round, somewhere like #21 overall (where the Bengals are sitting with their first round pick) would more than likely allow a team like the Bengals to select the best center in the draft

Link

Draft history by position

Anything’s possible, but if we are targeting a center….then I would expect a trade back.

Edit: last time a center was drafted close to our pick 13 was Steve Everitt (#14) 1993 Browns
1 member likes this
#1926552 Feb 25th a 04:33 PM
by Hammer
Hammer
I think Penning goes mid to late 1st round, Tab.
1 member likes this