Thread Like Summary
Ballpeen, FATE, mac, mgh888
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by SaintDawg
SaintDawg
https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...-to-a-report-and-a-look-at-his-contract/

Austin Hooper is likely sticking around the Browns according to a report and a look at his contract

Jared Mueller follow
March 9, 2022 9:25 am ET

The Cleveland Browns made one bigger move so far this offseason with the use of the franchise tag on TE David Njoku. They’ve made other smaller moves including bringing back multiple players on future/reserve deals earlier this offseason and tendering three players making them exclusive rights free agents recently.

Following the Njoku news, there was some thought that it would lead to the team moving on from Austin Hooper. The former Atlanta Falcons tight end was one of two big moves early in Andrew Berry’s first year with Cleveland. The other, Jack Conklin, will be sticking around for another year after restructuring his deal this offseason.

According to Over the Cap, Hooper’s contract has some interesting financial particulars. As is, the tight end costs $13.25 million against the cap in 2022, the fourth largest on the team. If he is cut with a “June 1st designation,” the team saves $9.5 million this year against the cap but he will cost $7.5 million next year and $3.75 the year after that.

If Hooper is cut before the 2023 season, he’d cost $3.75 million that year and another $3.75 the year after that.

In either scenario, Hooper will cost the team $20.25 million in cap space over the next three years. Trading him before June 1st would save the team about $2 million over the span of the deal but trading him after that date would save them $9 million in cap space, mostly in 2022.

With only a trade after June 1st likely to save the team significant cap space, Hooper is reportedly expected to stick around:

That could change after June 1st but, for now, it makes the most sense to Cleveland to keep him around as they look to build their roster. Saving some cap space this year only to pay it next year may not be the highest priority for Berry and company.
Liked Replies
by Clemdawg
Clemdawg
I don't really have an argument against that approach.

As I recall, 2020's roster was expected to go deep in 2021, based on talent/team makeup alone.
I said it halfway through last year's disappointing season- this team has a core that can be tweaked to win now. When healthy, this roster can be top 10-12 on both O & D. That puts any NFL team in the hunt. We still have the lion's share of that team who played KC to the last minute of a round 2 playoff game. I see nothing that should keep us from retooling what's necessary, and moving forward.

Associated side-thought: this is usually that time in a typical Browns regime when wholesale roster churn happens (because of cap mismanagement), large-scale staff turnover (because of dysfunction/ineptitude) or a Jimmy Haslam signature purge/reboot (because noone ever tests the water at 76 Groza). I am quite happy that this team has seemingly broken through that 2.5-year lifespan threshold. That ish was maddening.

I'm OK with dancing with the ones what brung us this far. "The Devil I know" took us to 11-5 with 2 playoff games. If we can hold cap integrity, keep players with history signed, and add what we need as we go, we are ahead of any previous Browns regime since The Return. Consistent personnel/roster is how chemistry is built. Chemistry codified over time is how Culture is built. Modern Browns have never been this close to establishing both.

2 members like this
by OldColdDawg
OldColdDawg
I would rather have Clowney than any WR or TE on this roster.
2 members like this
by FATE
FATE
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by jfanent
Despite his targets being lower than they were before he came here, he still managed to lead all TEs in the league in drops these last 2 seasons.

I'm not sure this is true. Kelce had 10 drops just this season.

But his volume of catches and yardage tend to help people turn a blind eye.

Hooper was tied for 21st in drops... 8th in drop percentage.

Kelce was tied for 2nd in drops... 20th in drop percentage.
1 member likes this
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
It's like I said the other day, some people advocate paying Hooper not to be here. I'll add to that they must also think pushing huge cap hits to future years by moving on from him must be a good idea. I disagree on both counts. I'm not a fan of Hopper or his production since he's been here. But at this juncture that really has nothing to do with it. The contract is what it is and I'd rather pay the piper now than pay him later. And lastly, nobody is going to take on Hooper's contract at the current cost. People may as well get those thoughts out of their heads.
1 member likes this