Thread Like Summary
AZBrown, DawgPound75, PitDAWG, Versatile Dog
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1986193 11/14/2022 6:31 PM
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
I'll ask again this week.........Can we please keep this thread about things that specific to this game only? There won't be many posts if we stick to that criteria and that is fine, because some posters don't get to see the games. Other posters just like to talk about the "football" that goes on during a game. The Post Game thread has a ton of posts about who should be fired, how bad our organization is, how the world is ending because a sports team isn't winning. So, there is a place that already exists to vent. I am not asking that the replies be positive. Just game specific.

--The defense was extremely pathetic. Everyone knows this, but it needs to be emphasized....our DTs were horrible. I saw both DTs pushed back 5-8 yards on multiple plays. That is unacceptable.

--We did a pretty good job of limiting Miam's deep passing game, but they ran it down our throats and hit a lot of underneath routes.

--Myles had no impact, even when he was blocked by only one man.

--Clowney is stealing money.

--I thought Taki played hard.

--Ward had a beautiful, athletic play where he jumped and knocked the ball away from Hill on a long pass.

--Our safeties did not provide much help in the passing game.

--We had a great first drive on offense. We actually moved the ball well most of the game. The defense kept letting the O down.

--Jacoby's stats probably were not great, but he played well. Very accurate w/most of his throws. Scrambled well. Most of his misses were during garbage time when we were playing in desperation. He can't succeed playing hero ball.

--Chubb's fumble was a killer.

--The 'Phins were intent on stopping Chubb and we did exploit their passing D quite a bit. Chubb still ran hard.

--Hunt looks like he lost a step of quickness.

--DPJ w/some nice catches and plays. One crucial drop, though. Gotta make that one on 4th down.

--We missed Njoku big time. Bryant can't block and he isn't dynamic as a receiver.

--Cooper drew a tough matchup.

--The OL struggled. Bitonio and Pocic were good. Wills, Conklin, and Froholdt were really bad. Teller must have aggravated his calf injury. I have never seen Conklin play anywhere close to that bad.

--I noticed Hudson replaced Wills at LT. Injury or performance?

--Special teams actually held up yesterday.

--I agreed w/the 4th down decisions. Even those late in the game when we had little chance of converting them. Better to go down fighting rather than punting the ball away because you care about how lopsided the score will be.

--It's been said that South Beach provides a lot of distractions. It looked like many of our defensive guys might have experienced those distractions. They were beyond awful.

Okay, I would like to hear about your thoughts about this game only. Player performances and the like.
Liked Replies
#1986197 Nov 14th a 06:41 PM
by Dawgs4Life
Dawgs4Life
You touched on a lot of what I’d say as well.

Our DEs were totally ineffective. Their worst day by far. And it seemed like they mailed it in.

Our Safeties stink. They can’t cover and don’t offer much other ways either.

Another area of concern for me: we don’t create as many turnovers as other teams, and that’s an ongoing problem

DPJ has been good, but he had a few headscratchers yesterday too
1 member likes this
#1986320 Nov 15th a 12:43 PM
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
Yeah, that was probably the worst our OL has played all year.

One other thing I noticed was the officiating. It did not cost us the game or anything, but it was pretty bad. There were several plays where you literally could see our jerseys being pulled from behind by their OL as we tried to rush the passer. Not one of them was called. Then, we get called on a ticky-tack hold while on O. Jacoby took a hit to the helmet and no call. Their WR [#14] pushed off to our defenders facemask on the one TD catch. No call. Now, they did call a ticky tack PI on Miami on one play. But overall, the officiating was poor.
1 member likes this
#1986414 Nov 15th a 05:43 PM
by bonefish
bonefish
Consider the limited offensive options when you are down by 14 points in the second half.
1 member likes this
#1986615 Nov 16th a 04:34 PM
by FATE
FATE
Yes, it does reinforce your opinion. Just posting for a little more clarity on the process. To be clear though, we marched down for the FG to open the second half, not a TD. TD was on the next possession that actually bled into the 4th Q, not that takes away from your point in any way.

I think the best way to sum this up is a rather simple statement.

A coach scripts plays based on a combination of what he thinks the defense will do and where weaknesses may be exploited.

When he's right -- scripting works. When he's wrong -- scripting doesn't.

Now obviously there is a scale between "works" and "doesn't". For us, many times it seems to work very well. Since we can safely assume that we rehearse (practice) these scripted plays more, maybe there is some disconnect in the way we practice all the other plays. Or a problem with how intense or lengthy our actual practice sessions are. Not saying for sure, mostly just spit-balling.
1 member likes this