Some of you may remember me speaking of "mentoring" a youth, through a church program. I wasn't really excited about it, but did it.

Had a great 4 years. Got to watch this kid grow, in all ways. 2-3 get togethers a month. I was in NO way a 'parent' to him. I didn't 'mentor' much. We just hung out, got to know each other. I encouraged him in his trade school education.

We were "done" last May, yet we still get together, text, call, etc.

Friday evening he called me, wondering what I was doing. I said 'nothing, other than going up to the house to let the dog out, shower, then get some food."

Him: "Um, my dad is gone, and I just shot a deer. Can you help me gut it? (for those that don't like that language "field dress".)

Sure. I went to his house and told him I was there to offer advice. HE was going to get his hands dirty, not me.

He started, and it took about 3 minutes before we we both had bloody hands. Good, fun time. "Dude, right now, you need to cut the diaphragm" Okay. What's that? That's the part holding the heart and lungs away from the intestines, and stomach and stuff. Here - (reaching in) this stuff. Be careful, don't cut the intestines or stomach.

Now, reach way up its throat and cut the esophagus. It'll feel like a garden hose. He did. No, further up. Here, like this.

Anyway, we got done. His mom and dad both texted me later "thanks for helping. We didn't even know he was going out."

Relationships that WILL stand the test of time.