Thread Like Summary
Ballpeen, lampdogg, mac, PitDAWG, ScottPlayersFacemask, Versatile Dog
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#2010212 04/03/2023 12:16 AM
by SaintDawg
SaintDawg
Saw this online.. whatcha all think?

IMO there are 3 grades that matter.. Below NFL Average, NFL Average and Above NFL Average. I think Jed here is between the middle and the top. In other words NFL Average+

Jedrick Wills’ future
By May 1, the Browns must decide whether to pick up the fully-guaranteed fifth-year option for 2024 on left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. Based on the formula used for those options, picking up the option on Wills would cost the Browns $14.175 million for 2024.

Berry cited his personal policy of not publicly discussing contract issues in declining to disclose the Browns’ plans, but he echoed Stefanski’s previous sentiments in saying the Browns believe 2022 was Wills’ best season after two different ankle injuries limited Wills’ effectiveness in 2021.

“I think in the moment, in the season, you felt (good about Wills) because he was healthy and was playing well,” Stefanski said. “But as you go back and watch a lot of the tape over and over, he’s doing a nice job in the run game and the pass game. He’s winning his one-on-one matchups. Never perfect because it’s hard to be perfect as a left tackle in this game. But he played well. I really think, if he stays healthy, the trajectory continues to ascend.”

If the Browns pick up Wills’ option — and it feels like a near-certainty that they will — they won’t necessarily plug a cap charge of more than $14 million into their 2024 planning. They could still sign Wills to a long-term extension before the option year kicks in, and the Browns generally have back-loaded those second contracts to reduce the first-year cap charge. Given the team’s cap situation, that might be a necessity, though it’s too early to know for sure.
Liked Replies
#2010231 Apr 3rd a 01:23 PM
by Day of the Dawg
Day of the Dawg
Wills is a good enough LT for this team with the talent they have around him. I would not pick up the 5th year option but would try to sign him to a long-term contract at a reasonable cost. If he does not sign it then work on replacing him.
1 member likes this
#2010226 Apr 3rd a 12:39 PM
by PrplPplEater
PrplPplEater
Wills is plenty good enough to win with.
He is in a very similar boat to that which Mitchell Schwartz was in that his biggest problem is that he isn't Joe Thomas, and you never want to have to be the guy stuck following The Guy.
1 member likes this
#2010774 Apr 7th a 12:16 PM
by WSU Willie
WSU Willie
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Nothing wrong with Jed.

Nothing special with Jed either...and that with the best OL coach in the league. I think he'd get more slack if he wasn't a top 1st Rd pick...serviceable isn't what we needed from such an investment.
1 member likes this
#2010895 Apr 8th a 05:52 AM
by Ballpeen
Ballpeen
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Nothing wrong with Jed.

Nothing special with Jed either...and that with the best OL coach in the league. I think he'd get more slack if he wasn't a top 1st Rd pick...serviceable isn't what we needed from such an investment.

Once a player is on the team, draft position doesn't matter. I think he is better than serviceable, but even then, that is all one can expect.

Just because a guy is a 1st round pick doesn't mean he is going to be great, nor should one expect that. You may want that but wants and reality are two different things.

You'll be better off dealing with who and what he is rather than holding him to some expectation. If we can replace him with someone better, great, but for the here and now he is good enough. I don't see any great need in replacing him any time soon.

I mentioned this some time back, and Purp mentioned it in this thread, Wills biggest problem is he followed Joe Thomas. It's rare in any sport that the player who follows a legend ever matches up, but they are always compared to that all-time great rather than simply a good player.
1 member likes this
#2010232 Apr 3rd a 01:44 PM
by FL_Dawg
FL_Dawg
-->PICK NO. 4: NEW YORK GIANTS: T ANDREW THOMAS

• PFF grade, 2020-22: 80.8 (22nd/223)

• PFF WAR, 2020-22: 0.63 (13th)

-->PICK NO. 10: CLEVELAND BROWNS: T JEDRICK WILLS JR.

• PFF grade, 2020-22: 64.0 (105/223)

• PFF WAR, 2020-22: -0.12 (200th)

-->PICK NO. 11: NEW YORK JETS: T MEKHI BECTON

• PFF grade, 2020-22: 74.6 (44th/223)

• PFF WAR, 2020-22: 0.08 (66th)

-->PICK NO. 13: TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: T TRISTAN WIRFS

• PFF grade, 2020-22: 88.6 (4th/223)

• PFF WAR, 2020-22: 0.98 (2nd)
1 member likes this
#2010965 Apr 8th a 07:45 PM
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
It's a tough call and I understand the good and the bad that comes w/Wills. My tipping point in keeping him is that it is incredibly hard to find adequate LTs. That's why I asked WSU to comprise a list, earlier. There won't be a list because they are hard to find.

I am not all that educated on contracts in regards to what a NFL team should do, but I'm kind of leaning on reworking his deal to a multi-year deal where we can backload the contract and move on if it becomes necessary. I think I would prefer that over picking up his option and paying him $15 million. I could be persuaded to change my mind if someone has a good argument.
1 member likes this