Thread Like Summary
guard dawg, Homewood Dog, lampdogg, PitDAWG
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#2018690 06/19/2023 2:54 PM
by bonefish
bonefish
The AFC is loaded with top quarterbacks.

The East - Rodgers, Allen, (Tua), (Jones).

The North - Watson, Jackson, Burrow, (Pickett).

The South - Lawrence, (Tannehill, Levis), (Minshew, Richardson), (Mills, Stroud).

The West - Mahomes, Herbert, Garoppolo, Wilson

*( ) questionable, or rookie
===========================================================

Ten quarterbacks that there is a pretty good record on. You can rank them in what order that seems appropriate.

You could maybe argue about Garoppolo and Wilson. But they have won in the NFL.

With talent around them these guys could win a Super Bowl. The better the talent; the better the odds.

Winning the division is not a given for any of these teams.

I don't predict because I don't think anyone knows.

Of course the Chiefs are the Champs and they have Mahomes. They have the best quarterback and no doubt one of the best coaches.

No way can you pencil them in to repeat. If we know one thing. That thing is "Parity in the NFL." Every year new talent is added. Every year there are injuries. Every year some players improve and others slip.

Playing a NFL schedule is damn hard. I truly believe that you can lose to any team. Obviously quarterback play is a huge factor in success or failure.

Watson gives us a chance. We have talent on the roster. I don't think it is really possible at this stage of the season to measure roster talent accurately.

We have a chance. Probably the best chance we have had in a long time. I sure as hell hope the talent we have takes us to the top.
Liked Replies
#2018701 Jun 19th a 05:41 PM
by bonefish
bonefish
I do not disagree.

Every year I would take the field over the previous champs. Teams have to deal with cap. No team can pay a roster of all pros.

The one known factor is injuries will occur. Who gets them and when is unknown. That will always play a role in team records.

Just in the North six games my best guess is 500. But I would say that for every team. The Steelers have Pickett and we really don't know his ceiling. We also know the Steelers will be good defensively.

Lamar got what he wanted. He got a deal. He has a new OC. They brought in receivers. They are going to be throwing more as are the Browns.

Burrow has proven he can take a team to the Super Bowl. They have a great receiving unit. The first mission is win the North.

That will be really hard for any of the teams. In years past we were so bad it was easy to know we were not going to win the division. I can still feel what it was like to beat the Steelers in the playoffs. I felt close to floating in air.

This year I don't have a clue. We could win the North and we could finish last.

My stance has become clear to me. Play each game and hope like hell.
3 members like this
#2018696 Jun 19th a 04:30 PM
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
I won't get into the entire "we have a chance" part of your post. I believe that holds true of most teams in the AFC actually and the Browns are certainly no exception to that. To a degree I certainly won't say you are wrong. We have a very talented roster and Berry has an uncanny ability to find bargains in the FA market to fill gaps at below market value. We have more talent than I think we have had in recent memory. I feel we certainly upgraded the coaching staff with the addition of Schwartz as DC. As it pertains to that it will be dependent on whether we see what we saw last season with watson or whether we see what we saw when watson played in Houston. The jury is out in regards to that. As you stated about predictions, I certainly won't make any predictions either way on that. I'm in a "we'll see" pattern. But I will say that I don't feel watson will have to play at a top 5 QB or elite level for the Browns to be serious contenders or make the playoffs. I do think he will have to have an above average level of play however.

I do believe you articulated that the AFC is blessed with many very talented QB's quite well. It certainly is not a given as to who can or will win the AFC title.

I would however like to touch upon the following aspect of your post.........

Originally Posted by bonefish
Of course the Chiefs are the Champs and they have Mahomes. They have the best quarterback and no doubt one of the best coaches.

No way can you pencil them in to repeat. If we know one thing. That thing is "Parity in the NFL."

First, I think the system is open for parity. It's set up in a way that gives each team, and especially those at the bottom to improve with the way the draft is set up. Yet at the very same time, that parity can only be achieved if you have people running the operation that can take advantage of such an opportunity. We've seen teams hover at the bottom of the league for very long periods of time because they simply hired the wrong people to run things. Once they get the right people in place things begin to turn around. But even then they have to get all of the pieces of the puzzle right. If you give a poor coach good talent you still won't find success. If you give a great coach bad talent you won't reach success. It's pretty much a situation that from the owner all the way down to the coaching staff the right people have to be in place. And that's no easy task to achieve. With the Browns I think that was the biggest obstacle in the way for a very long time. Not so much anymore. It's true that giving watson that huge contract was a gamble. Whether it will pay off or not is still to be determined. But it was an understandable gamble. Every major signing such as that is a gamble. Fame and success is not for the faint of heart. It was either go big or stay at home. So no matter how things shake out, it would be hard to say that I don't understand the move.

Secondly I would like to address your comments in regards to Mahomes and the Chiefs. I agree with you that as of now you would certainly have to call Mahomes the best QB in the NFL and that Andy Reid is one of the, if not the best HC in the NFL. With that said, I still agree with you that there's no way you can pencil them in to repeat. But I would like to touch on another very big reason as to why that's so. While there are some exceptions, in every phase of the NFL from owners, to coaches to players, the competitive fire in these people is fierce. They didn't get to where they are by resting on their laurels.

They know to be the best you have to beat the best. Yes, teams game plan for all of their opponents during the season. But beating the current champions is something every true competitor will focus on. From a coaching standpoint nothing could motivate your team more than beating the reigning champs. As such, every game the Chiefs will play they will have a special target on their backs. Their opponents will have a greater level of intensity. That makes it even harder for any team that holds the NFL championship to repeat.
1 member likes this