Thread Like Summary
Ballpeen, MemphisBrownie
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Frenchy
Frenchy
Well my daughter turned 18 a week ago, and is starting OSU in a month. So we figured we should get her credit history going. We applied for a first time credit card, for first year college students, and she got denied. WTH.

Don’t understand what happened, she makes $14,000/yr. So we would have understood maybe a $500/$750 limit but no. Our bank would give her one, but they needed $2,500 in a savings account that has to stay there, with a $50 annual fee. A personal loan of $1000, would also have to be backed by her checking account which has $12,000 in it, no way.

How does an 18yo get credit? How did you go about helping your kids get started without feeling like something shady is gonna happen.
Liked Replies
by FORTBROWNFAN
FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Well my daughter turned 18 a week ago, and is starting OSU in a month. So we figured we should get her credit history going. We applied for a first time credit card, for first year college students, and she got denied. WTH.

Don’t understand what happened, she makes $14,000/yr. So we would have understood maybe a $500/$750 limit but no. Our bank would give her one, but they needed $2,500 in a savings account that has to stay there, with a $50 annual fee. A personal loan of $1000, would also have to be backed by her checking account which has $12,000 in it, no way.

How does an 18yo get credit? How did you go about helping your kids get started without feeling like something shady is gonna happen.

I worked at a bank for over 25 years as a BR Manager and loan officer. With no credit history whatsoever, we would require a co-signor. Also, we were required to have the same criteria for all borrowers, and if we deviated, we had to answer to auditors and we better have a good reason.

Normally parents co-signed. We did create a loan similar to your "backed by checking account" idea, but it required a CD. WE would allow borrowing 90% od the CD amount, and charge 2% above the CD rate and if the loan was paid monthly, it created a monthly on-time payment on your report. After a certain amount of time, likely 6 months to a year, a good score would exist. I even went so far as to recommend 2 of this for the same person. WE did have minimum for both CD and loan amount, $2,000 loan IIRC.

Also, I am not certain, but generally we found that being an authorized user on a CC did not create anything positive on your score because the user had no responsivity or obligation for payment. It has been 3 years since i retired so my memory may be a bit off.

Living in the small, rural, farming community where our bank was, it created a bit of a problem, because parents raised their kids to work hard and never borrow money, for anything other than a house. When I suggested credit at 18, one parent told their son not to listen to me. THat same parent was very upset when their son couldn't get a home loan without a co-signor a few years later. Not saying the kids in my area were not worthy. IT wasn't unusual for a kid to have worked from age 13-14 as a farm laborer and have $20-$40K cash when they graduated and wanted to buy a house.

So, that is my experience. I can only assume, other banks had other underwriting guidelines.
2 members like this
by YTownBrownsFan
YTownBrownsFan
We should have a class on basic finances, resume building, and interviewing for a job, along with reading, writing, and aritmetic. Too many kids don't know basic sentence structure, basic tenses, let alone partciples, and the difference between useage of a adjective and an adverb. (one of my personal pet peeves, because it is so prevelant)

Instead we waste time and resourecs on a bunch of unimportant garbage.

Phones should be banned in schools. Kids should learn how to actual;ly do things, not just how to punch things into a phone.
1 member likes this