Thread Like Summary
bonefish, FATE, GMdawg, lampdogg, mgh888, PitDAWG, WSU Willie
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#2032071 10/02/2023 9:13 AM
by 3rd_and_20
3rd_and_20
We need a much better backup QB. Sunday was a trainwreck.

Right now I would be more than glad to take Carson Wentz over DTR. (Hell, I'd even take Colin Kaepernick, but that's stretching things more than a bit here.)

DTR should probably be placed on the practice squad if we get someone new who can take care of business.

Thoughts?
Liked Replies
#2032261 Oct 3rd a 12:15 PM
by Ballpeen
Ballpeen
There are a good number of people in here that act like those fans on a current commercial...they start knocking food off the counter, a guy starts burning his gear in the backyard. Ranting how the seasons over..then someone reminds them that is only the 1st play of the new season.

I think a good number of them were the ones calling for DTR to start over Watson and now they see how foolish that thought was and now want nothing to do with the guy.
2 members like this
#2032122 Oct 2nd a 02:41 PM
by YTownBrownsFan
YTownBrownsFan
I just want to say something, and I am not really making the comparison a dead fact, but when Nick Chubb was a rookie, and he blew a pass pro in that first game, there was a very vocal segment of the fanbase that wanted him cut immediately.

It was the first game of DTR's career ..... and much of the rest of the team played like they forgot to show up. I am not willing to pillary and destroy him over that 1st game against a tough opponent., who always gives us trouble.
1 member likes this
#2032254 Oct 3rd a 10:21 AM
by steve0255
steve0255
It might have been a difficult position to be in but as a HC, do you give your team a chance to win or is there confidence in you by the players that you can adjust? The purpose of the game was to win. No one gave a sh_t about how they won. Though running the ball would have been extremely difficult, why wasn't the run game used to play a game of field position? You had one of the best defenses in football through the first 3-weeks of the season. Why wouldn't you want to put it on their backs to make something happen? Using 12 and 13 personnel should have been the trend. The passing game would have consisted of slants and flat passes with an occasional deep sideline pattern where either your player catches it or it goes out of bounds. Don't give DTR an opportunity to make a mistake. Run the dang ball. Continue to punt for field position and be patient. Wait for your defense to make the play to help out the offense. The Browns were winning the field position game in the 1st qtr before DTR threw the interception intended for Cooper. Come on man, it was a 3rd and 3 from the Cleveland 45 and they threw a 17-yard pass that was intercepted and returned to the Browns 10. If you throw a flat pass, slant or run and don't make the 3-yards you punt and pin the Ravens deep. Instead, poor play calling gave the Ravens a 10-yard short field and the route was on.

DTR had a bad game, but the HC didn't put him in a position to be successful or win. Having DTR throw 36 passes is an absolute joke. Only running the ball 25 times with a struggling rookie QB is an even bigger joke. Hell, the Ravens ran the ball 33 times for 143 yards compared to 19 passes (thought our run defense was fixed). Face it, Stefanski got schooled. Sad part is DTR is the one who took the blows for Stefanski being outcoached, again!
1 member likes this
#2032308 Oct 3rd a 05:21 PM
by Homewood Dog
Homewood Dog
No matter what weakness our FO doesn't address adequately with the roster seems to come to an ugly head. This year back-up QB. Last year DL etc. One year it was LB or safety. The back-up QB this year could easily have been addressed. It wasn't and cost us a game and all this indignation which will go on for 2 weeks. Very avoidable.
1 member likes this
#2032448 Oct 4th a 02:25 PM
by Bull_Dawg
Bull_Dawg
Losing 28-3 while paying Jacoby Brissett $8M would have left me feeling worse. We lost the game Brissett started against the Ravens last year and he had been the starter going into it. Your record doesn't look different based on point differential.

We got beat. The Ravens may have done it if a healthy Watson played. It happens. The Ravens played well. When Lamar is playing well, they are a dangerous team.

Throw in a QB on short notice and things will often (always?) be discombobulated. Doesn't matter who it is.

I'm more worried about the OL than the backup QB.
1 member likes this
#2032555 Oct 4th a 08:16 PM
by archbolddawg
archbolddawg
I'm not going to bother to find the article but Andrew Berry said it was obvious DW wasn't going to play. Now, that may have been Sunday morning, might have been Saturday. he said it was obvious to him and the coaches.
1 member likes this