Thread Like Summary
AZBrown, DeisleDawg, FATE, jfanent, Milk Man
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by YTownBrownsFan
YTownBrownsFan
Titans plan to hire Brian Callahan as head coach: Former Bengals OC to replace Mike Vrabel in Tennessee - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-oc-to-replace-mike-vrabel-in-tennessee/

The Tennessee Titans are planning to hire former Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan as their new head coach, according to CBS Sports Lead NFL Insider Jonathan Jones. Callahan replaces Mike Vrabel, who was fired earlier this month after two straight losing seasons. At 39 years old, Callahan becomes the sixth-youngest head coach in the NFL.

Callahan, who is the son of former Oakland Raiders head coach and current Cleveland Browns offensive line coach Bill Callahan, spent the past five seasons as the offensive coordinator of the Bengals. Previously, he served as the quarterbacks coach for the Raiders and Detroit Lions, and got his start in the league as a coaching assistant with the Denver Broncos. He was an offensive assistant in Denver when the Broncos won Super Bowl 50.

Callahan has worked with some of the best quarterbacks in the league, including Peyton Manning, Joe Burrow, Matthew Stafford and Derek Carr, and the Titans have a young quarterback in need of developing in Will Levis. Callahan had to work through some offensive adversity this year when Burrow went down with a season-ending wrist injury in November. Backup quarterback Jake Browning, who previously had never started a game in the NFL, stepped in and went 4-3 as the new starter, winning three games in a row -- two of those victories coming in overtime. Browning finished the 2023 campaign ranked first in completion percentage (70.4%) and tied for fourth in yards per attempt (8.0).

Developing Levis is an important goal, but so is resetting the offense at large. Tennessee has had one of the worst offenses over the last three years, finishing No. 17 in total yards in 2021, No. 30 in 2022 and No. 28 this past season. The Titans averaged 17.9 points per game in 2023. Only the New York Jets, New York Giants, New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers averaged fewer points.

Titans owner Amy Adams Strunk said at the beginning of this coaching search that the staff her next head coach brings in is "very important." Now, with the hiring of a first-year head coach, that staff becomes even more important.
Liked Replies
by YTownBrownsFan
YTownBrownsFan
2 members like this
by FATE
FATE
Uh-oh.
1 member likes this
by DeisleDawg
DeisleDawg
Originally Posted by bonefish
I cannot say that I am surprised.

Many head coaches have had their sons coach on their teams.

I don't know if there have been cases of fathers working for their sons?

If I'm a young and new HC

The last thing I feel I would want would to have my father coaching on my team

Close or not close to my father

If I was having a successful season, I wouldn't want people saying it was due to having a father coaching on the team who was known as a successful coach.

And him being the reason for the success of the team

Maybe it's okay, just not what I would want

As a HC I would want the best of the best and if having my dad as the OL coach helps the team then maybe
1 member likes this
by FATE
FATE
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Pdawg

If I were Brian.....I would have waited a year to get my house in order, firm up my role within the organization, and establish credibility before hiring my Dad.

Nah. Dad's a consummate professional and one of the GOAT. He'll stay in his lane and make your life much easier. With ZERO drama.
1 member likes this
by Bull_Dawg
Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I'm sure he speaks the gospel since he was simply repeating what someone told him and taking their word as being true. In most social circles people call that a rumor.

...In 2024, they call that journalism....
1 member likes this