Cincinnati .. another DT
Liked Replies
by Pdawg
Pdawg
2 members like this
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
Originally Posted by mac
The Browns blew a 4th round pick on Winfrey in 2022, knowing he wasn't a real smart guy...How does that happen...?

How could Andrew Berry's draft room misjudge so badly on Winfrey?

Probably much the same way these first round picks were selected by other teams.....

LB Vernon Gholston, Jets (2008, sixth overall pick)

WR Justin Blackmon, Jaguars (2012, fifth overall pick)

RB Lawrence Phillips, Rams (1996, sixth overall pick)

WR Charles Rogers, Lions (2003, second overall pick)

QB Trey Lance, 49ers (2021, third overall pick) We all know how badly the 49'ers suck, right?

QB Ryan Leaf, Chargers (1998, second overall pick)

QB JaMarcus Russell, Raiders (2007, first overall pick)

The fact of the matter is only 8% of fourth round draft picks ever become starters in the NFL...........................

A few years ago I did a 20 year look at exactly how good your chances are of being a solid starter in the NFL, based on your draft round. I just wanted to mention this as we get salty about how bad this or that guy is playing who was taken in the 3rd or 4th round. Odds are not high you will become a difference maker in the NFL... no matter where you're taken.

1st round - about 50% of players drafted in the 1st round developed into solid NFL starters.

2nd round - about 33% of players drafted in the 2nd round developed into solid NFL starter. From here, it dropped by 50% per round.

3rd round - about 16%.

4th round - about 8%.

5th round - about 4-5%.

6th round - about 2%.

7th round - about 1-2%.

Note: this wasn't based on likelihood of making an NFL roster, it was based on subjective factors, like # of seasons or games starting, statistical performance, Pro Bowls, etc. So it wasn't that only 2% of 6th rounders would be role-players, it was that 2% would become solid starters. Lots of 4th, 5th, 6th rounders develop into decent special teamers or fill-in guys. Almost none of them became every week starters, though. I think I didn't include kickers and punters in the calculation, though.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...yer-in-the-nfl-by-draft-round-211678773/

Sometimes I don't think you hear yourself. But we do.
1 member likes this