DawgTalkers.net
Wow, if true

Quote:

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2014, 4:28 PM EST

Getty Images
The Browns’ unpredictable head-coaching search nearly finished with what would have been the most unpredictable outcome of any head-coaching search since Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Buccaneers a dozen years ago.

Per multiple league sources, the Cleveland Browns nearly pulled off a trade with the 49ers for the rights to coach Jim Harbaugh.

A deal that would have sent multiple draft picks to San Francisco was in place between the teams. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

The 49ers could not immediately be reached for comment. Efforts to contact the 49ers continue.

The Browns declined to comment specifically on whether an effort was made to acquire Jim Harbaugh. The Browns characterized the search as thorough, and the Browns acknowledged that many options were considered. The Browns emphasized that the team is excited about its new coach Mike Pettine.

A deal would have been stunning, for several reasons. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to the NFC title game in each of his three years with the team. Also, he would have joined the same division as his brother, Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

Which means they would have been squaring off at least twice per year, and competing directly for division titles and/or wild-card positioning.

Link
that would have been crazy. I'm guessing the haul in picks would have been massive as well. probably for the best it didn't happen but that would have been fun.
I don't even know why the 49ers would consider this. Maybe it was a lot of picks and they just don't want to pay the man. Quite frankly the only thing that makes sense about this is that Harbaugh didn't want to come here.
He's good
Umm......Wow!

Browns have Zak Gilbert on the situation now....won't deny the attempt.
Quote:

I don't even know why the 49ers would consider this. Maybe it was a lot of picks and they just don't want to pay the man. Quite frankly the only thing that makes sense about this is that Harbaugh didn't want to come here.

Couldn't agree more. Honestly, I cannot believe any of this to be anything close to the truth... with that said - I'd surely take/took him over Mike. But I bet these "sources" are smoking crack with Davone Bess behind a McDonalds somewhere
Quote:

I could see SF agreeing if they contacted Shaw and he was willing to jump up and they were getting an absolute haul of draft picks.

But, I cannot see Harbaugh wanting to make the jump to go to a worse team, without a QB, and losing a bunch of draft picks (so may get worse in talent level over next few years).
Quote:

probably for the best it didn't happen but that would have been fun.

I think Harbaugh is one hell of a coach, but I'd be interested to see what "massive" really is. If anything I think it shows a few things:

1. They must have liked the talent to give up "massive" picks. That and perhaps the intent to be extremely active in FA.
2. Maybe the FO liked Hoyer enough to run with him as the starter w/o the need for a early round QB selection.....Gruden cost two first rounders plus some other picks. Precedence is there. Massive could have been both first rounders.
FWIW:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
In response to @ProFootballTalk report on #Browns nearly trading for Jim Harbaugh, #Niners source calls it “completely false. Ridiculous.”

https://twitter.com/RapSheet
Jim Harbaugh= "Mystery Candidate"
Wow is correct..that was the mystery person ..I never heard who it was ,just heard it was someone who was kept hidden behind the scenes..but what a impact that would have been..
But then there's this little bit about trading for HC's:

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel or scouts.

j/c

Haslam must have been on board with this effort, if true. And some of us thought we were accumulating draft picks for a QB!!! Unfreaking believable, totally off the wall, bordering incompetent.
How can you consider it incompetent when, 1. you don't even know if it's true and if it was true 2. you don't know what picks were even offered?
Quote:

FWIW:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
In response to @ProFootballTalk report on #Browns nearly trading for Jim Harbaugh, #Niners source calls it “completely false. Ridiculous.”

https://twitter.com/RapSheet

This is more understandable/comprehensible lol...
If true...it sounds like an act of desperation by someone in the Browns front office...wonder whose idea that was?

What happened to building the team via the draft?...
Infreekincredible! Shock and wonder. Sounds like draft wrecker potentially. I don't know the picks, but it surely wouldn't have been a firesale. Indicates some qualities JH/FO had in mind, I suspect. Hope farmer is killing evals at the combine.
Lots of people are wondering why Harbaugh and/or SF would be open to this. The speculation is that Harbaugh is expecting a nice pay bump for his next contract and SF doesn't want to pay that much for a HC so the idea is to try to get something now before you eventually lose Harbaugh anyways.

Just sharing the speculative explanation as to how this could even be possible.
How can this be true? If this applies?
Quote:

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel or scouts.

Something is not right here. Why would we offer picks when it states that you cannot if someone is under contract? Were we waiting for SF to fire him and then send them picks?
Quote:

What happened to building the team via the draft?...

Yeah.... This isn't what I liked about it.

We pretty much punted on the 2013 draft. This deal would have most likely punted 2014 as well.
Quote:

How can you consider it incompetent when, 1. you don't even know if it's true and if it was true 2. you don't know what picks were even offered?

Oh, very easily. I said "if true" and "bordering incompetent". The trade was reported to involve "multiple" picks.

And mac: You're right in questioning whose brainstorm this idea was...
J/C.
I'll bet that no matter how many posts this topic gets more people than not will believe all of it EXCEPT the part where SF denies it. It overall preposterous to me.
Quote:

Quote:

Something is not right here. Why would we offer picks when it states that you cannot if someone is under contract? Were we waiting for SF to fire him and then send them picks?

That quote is from 2003. I don't know what the rules are that are in effect today but that is a pretty dated source to rely on. If it weren't allowed I think that fact would be highlighted pretty fast... and not just on this chat forum.
From the SF Chronicle...

Did the San Francisco almost trade Jim Harbaugh to the Browns?

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm by Vic Tafur in 49ers

Multiple league sources have told Pro Football Talk that the Cleveland Browns nearly pulled off a trade for 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in exchange for multiple draft picks. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

The 49ers have not been reached for comment.

The Browns released a statement that not only failed to dispute the report, but essentially confirmed it: “The team conducted an extensive coaching search, and explored several options. That search produced an outstanding head coach in Mike Pettine and we’re excited about his future with the club.”

Per PFT’s Mike Florio, who reported the story, Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers: “Speculation that I’ve heard is that Harbaugh’s family, specifically his wife, wanted to stay put,” Florio said on 95.7 FM The Game.

Harbaugh has taken San Francisco to the NFC Championship Game in three consecutive seasons. He and recently fired Cleveland general manager Mike Lombardi are extremely tight, and there has been some recent media speculation that Harbaugh and 49ers general manager Trent Baalke are not. Harbaugh, a Raiders offensive assistant from 2002-03, worked with Lombardi when he was in Oakland’s front office. Lombardi’s son, Mick, was hired by the 49ers last year as an assistant to the head coach.

Harbaugh, who was two years remaining on his five-year, $25 million contract, is the third-highest paid coach in the NFC West. He is the only coach since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 to lead his team to a conference championship in each of his first three seasons. He is also tied for second for the most playoff wins (5) by a head coach in their first three seasons. The 49ers, who had 39 wins in the seven seasons before Harbaugh’s arrival, are 36-11-1 since 2011.

web page
Lombardi and Harbaugh are buddies going back to their days with the Raiders. Lombardi was almost hired as the GM of the 49ers when Harbaugh was hired as the head coach.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That quote is from 2003. I don't know what the rules are that are in effect today but that is a pretty dated source to rely on. If it weren't allowed I think that fact would be highlighted pretty fast... and not just on this chat forum.

These rules changed at the last owners meeting
Thanks Candy I did not know that.
Quote:

the third-highest paid coach in the NFC West.

Only the 3rd highest paid coach in his division? That doesn't sound cost prohibitive given the results he's achieved to me. Sounds more like a bargain price.
Quote:

Lombardi and Harbaugh are buddies going back to their days with the Raiders. Lombardi was almost hired as the GM of the 49ers when Harbaugh was hired as the head coach. [/quote

I wonder if this is what finally prompted Haslam to clean house? It would have been a really crazy move that would have set us back even further, if such a thing is possible. Harbaugh is a good coach. Is he worth a bunch of draft picks? I'm curious about the details and time line of the deal.
Quote:

Quote:

Only the 3rd highest paid coach in his division? That doesn't sound cost prohibitive given the results he's achieved to me. Sounds more like a bargain price.

Right. Which will obviously change on his next contract.

I don't understand why SF cares how much they pay their HC if he's doing what JH is doing.

The guy would have a statue in Cleveland with his resume.
Quote:

The Browns released a statement that not only failed to dispute the report, but essentially confirmed it: “The team conducted an extensive coaching search, and explored several options. That search produced an outstanding head coach in Mike Pettine and we’re excited about his future with the club.”

How in the hell does that confirm anything? In confirms that they explored several options, it confirms they hired Pettine.

Just because it doesn't say we didn't go after Harbaugh, doesn't mean we did.

But, let's say we did, Haslam said they'd be bold, that would fit for sure.

If they did, I think it shows that Haslam is willing to do whatever it takes.

Am I alone in thinking that this is a positive?
" That guy would have a statue in Cleveland with his resume."

Fixed it..Sorry..had to

I don't know about statues...Hell Jim Brown doesn't have one...
He said 'essentially confirmed', and there's a strong argument to be made based on the team's statement. There's allusion and a lack of denial.

Normally, when an organization is reported to have engaged in head scratching behavior, they deny it.

I don't know if there's truth to the reports or not, but reading the team's statement, I lean towards the former.
Ummm. didn't the league outlaw such a thing after the Gruden trade ?
I don't believe this is even a possibility,
No, Herm Edwards was traded a few years later.
I think the Browns didn't mind confirming it somewhat, because it lets the fan base know he explored every option....gives the Jimmaayy some good PR. I believe the source within the 49ers who leaked it to begin with was Harbaugh himself, because it makes him look sympathetic and gives him negotiating power moving forward.

Someone mentioned in another thread and it holds true here IMO.......these "insiders" get information that people want to be made public for one reason or another.
...then why didn't we at least try to get a bag of peanuts or something for Shurmur?
Quote:

...then why didn't we at least try to get a bag of peanuts or something for Shurmur?

Banner wanted a grilled cheese, Lombardi wanted chocolate milk. Started a whole argument, big mess.
Quote:

Quote:

J/C ........

Of course he's the 3rd highest paid coach.

Look who else is in that division.

Jeff Fisher with the Rams. He was heavily sought after. I'm sure he got a huge deal to come to St Louis.

Pete Carroll with the Seahawks.I am certain that he got an enormous deal to take over the Seahawks.

These were 2 coaches who didn't come cheap. The other coach in the division is Bruce Arians with the Cardinals.

Man, that division is stacked with great coaching talent. When Jeff Fisher might just be the 3rd or 4th best coach in your division, you have some serious coaching talent.
Wow...what is interesting is back in January via message or even a Facebook mention a fellow dawg with inside info told me he doesn't know what but that we got some Big Impact hire coming for an Experienced head coach...right away I'm thinking of course Gruden. But now I see what it was about and yes it was big time impact.

In sort of a way I'm happy with what we got and the multiple draft picks we would have had to give up to get him are still here.

And on the flip side I liked him before he became a candidate to come out of Stanford and coach in the NFL. I'm surprised that the FO wants him out. Thats like us wanting Marty out of here back in the day! What a great deal that would have been. Hey props out to Lombardi...now I'm wondering if most of the problems was with Banner.
Mort confirms “substance” of our Harbaugh report

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2014, 10:23 PM EST

It’s been an interesting day in Indianapolis.

Not long after finishing the last of 19 coach/G.M. interviews for Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, we nailed down the news that the Browns and 49ers had a trade in place to send Jim Harbaugh to Cleveland, and that Harbaugh ultimately opted not to consummate the deal.

The Browns did not deny the news, telling PFT that there would be no comment on the specific report, but explaining that many options were considered during the search for a new coach. The 49ers didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The 49ers apparently opted to try a different approach to denying the report with a press release, leaking to NFL Media via an unnamed source that the notion that the report is both “completely false” and “ridiculous.” It seemed odd that the 49ers wouldn’t use those terms on the record if the report were indeed “completely false” and “ridiculous,” so we pointed that out.

So then 49ers CEO Jed York decided to address the situation on Twitter. “Report isn’t true,” York said.

It’s unclear whether York takes issue with all or just part of the report. He has declined a request to elaborate, explaining to PFT that he has nothing more to add.

Enter Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

“Browns did indeed make a run at Jim Harbaugh that reached a serious stage, sources confirm substance of @ProFootballTalk report,” Mortensen said via Twitter.

Given the sensitive nature of the relationship between the 49ers and Harbaugh — a relationship sufficiently volatile to apparently prompt the 49ers to consider ending it — it’s easy to understand why the 49ers would take the position that the report isn’t true. Since the trade didn’t happen, the 49ers need to work with Harbaugh.

They also may need to sign Harbaugh to a long-term contract, breaking the impasse that currently exists, according to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

In the end, the biggest winner could be Harbaugh. For the 49ers to persuade the average fan that they really didn’t think about divorcing Harbaugh, the 49ers may need to renew the vows.

Vows written by Harbaugh.

web page
This news is shocking.

When I connect the dots, it appears to be based in truth. I wonder if Lombardi and Banner's inability to land Harbaugh resulted in their dismissal?

I am not sure how I feel about the move. I love Harbaugh as a coach. I do remember him saying that Cleveland didn't have a shot of hiring him when he left Stanford, but that was when The Big Show was here.

I guess the big question is what draft picks were offered? Without knowing that, it's hard to offer an intelligent opinion on the proposed trade.
Quote:

I guess the big question is what draft picks were offered?

Only what was reported as multiple picks. While Harbaugh may be a good coach, I dislike his at times, outrageous, undisciplined behavior. I don't want him here on any level, certainly not selling our 2014 draft to do so. This was a daft idea...
So wait, Harbaugh takes the niners to the SB and to brink of the SB the last two years and he's on the outs with the ownership?

wow
Quote:

I guess the big question is what draft picks were offered? Without knowing that, it's hard to offer an intelligent opinion on the proposed trade.

While we can't know what was offered by the Browns (if the report is true), I think its safe to say it would have been along the same lines as the price Tampa paid for Gruden. In other words - a lot. Too much? Hell if I know ...

From Wiki:
After compiling a 40–28 win-loss record (including playoffs) in four seasons with the Raiders, Gruden replaced the fired Tony Dungy as head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002, via a high-stakes trade that included Tampa Bay's 2002 and 2003 first-round draft picks, 2002 and 2004 second-round draft picks, and $8 million in cash.
Quote:

This news is shocking.

When I connect the dots, it appears to be based in truth. I wonder if Lombardi and Banner's inability to land Harbaugh resulted in their dismissal?

I am not sure how I feel about the move. I love Harbaugh as a coach. I do remember him saying that Cleveland didn't have a shot of hiring him when he left Stanford, but that was when The Big Show was here.

That is the key here. If the report is true, there still hasn't been any leak on what the compensation would have been.

The Pats gave up a first round pick to hire Belichick; the Bucs traded two firsts AND two seconds to hire Gruden, so there's a pretty wide range of precedent here.
Ultimately though, it's a moot point. Even if the report is true, Harbaugh chose not to come here. That puts the kabosh on the deal, period. For all we know, he was simply using the Browns as leverage to get a better deal from the 49ers. There are a lot of 'ifs' in there though.
Quote:

Ultimately though, it's a moot point. Even if the report is true, Harbaugh chose not to come here. That puts the kabosh on the deal, period. For all we know, he was simply using the Browns as leverage to get a better deal from the 49ers. There are a lot of 'ifs' in there though.

FWIW, Jed York is saying it's not true...
I think it's complete bull$#!% started by Lombardi to make him look somehow heroic and to throw the Cleveland FO and fan base into a tizzy. He's a scumbag POS and is the only player on the board with any motivation whatsoever to float this story. The 49ers would be completely stupid to entertain any offer like that and Harbaugh would have to be a complete moron to walk away. Lombardi, scumbag, end of story.

Jim Harbaugh: I know nothing about trade with Browns

* By Gregg Rosenthal
* Around The League Editor
* Published: Feb. 22, 2014 at 09:23 a.m.
* Updated: Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:03 a.m.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NFL Scouting Combine was rocked late Friday afternoon by a ProFootballTalk report that the Browns were close to a trade that would have brought coach Jim Harbaugh to Cleveland.

San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York quickly said that the report "isn't true" on Twitter. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the Browns did make a run at Harbaugh, as did the University of Texas, per sources informed of the Browns' thinking. But Harbaugh wasn't interested in the move, per Rapoport.

Now Harbaugh is going on the record with a strong denial as well.

"I echo Jed York's comment ... 'isn't true,'" Harbaugh told ESPN's Ed Werder in a text message. "I know nothing about a trade with the Cleveland Browns and us, involving me."

The Browns, meanwhile, issued a statement that didn't exactly confirm or deny the story.

"The team conducted an extensive coaching search, and explored several options. That search produced an outstanding head coach in Mike Pettine and we're excited about his future with the club," the Browns said in a statement.

Browns CEO Joe Banner, who only has a few months left with the team, acknowledged weeks ago that there was a "mystery candidate" for the Browns' head-coaching job that was never revealed.

Browns coach Mike Pettine will meet with the media here in Indianapolis on Saturday morning, but his response is almost irrelevant. It's more interesting to ponder what's next with the 49ers and Harbaugh.

The 49ers and Harbaugh have both previously expressed public interest in a contract extension. No deal was able to be reached last offseason. CSNBayArea's Matt Maiocco reported Friday that the 49ers are "believed to be offering less in guaranteed money on a short-term deal" for Harbaugh with him only reaching the upper levels of NFL coaches if he wins a Super Bowl. One source told Maiocco that the 49ers are not expected to pay Harbaugh like a Super Bowl-winning coach if he has not won a Super Bowl.

This news of the Browns' interest could oddly help Harbaugh. It's more important than ever for the franchise and Harbaugh to present a united front to their fans and players. A new contract would accomplish that.

Link
Quote:

I think the Browns didn't mind confirming it somewhat, because it lets the fan base know he explored every option....gives the Jimmaayy some good PR. I believe the source within the 49ers who leaked it to begin with was Harbaugh himself, because it makes him look sympathetic and gives him negotiating power moving forward.

Someone mentioned in another thread and it holds true here IMO.......these "insiders" get information that people want to be made public for one reason or another.

Kinda fits what I mentioned to U doesn't it?

And yes when things are leaked it is supposed to benefit someone..we need to think who would benefit from having that leaked out?
Quote:

I think it's complete bull$#!% started by Lombardi to make him look somehow heroic and to throw the Cleveland FO and fan base into a tizzy.

Yeah, that's logical.

We have posters saying it would have been a dumb move.

And why would Lombardi want that? He is out of the hell-hole that is Cleveland in one of the most stable franchises in all of sports.
Quote:

Sound thinking. And this time, I am not being sarcastic.
Quote:

Quote:

Kinda fits what I mentioned to U doesn't it?

And yes when things are leaked it is supposed to benefit someone..we need to think who would benefit from having that leaked out?

Only two types of people would leak that story. (true or not)

A. Someone internal to the Browns wanting to let the fanbase know they went out on a limb to try to get a great HC

B. Someone that has an ax to grind. that could be Lombardi or Banner. My vote would be for Lombardi because he's at the Combine and would have found it easy to leak the story to one of his friends.

My guess, Lombardi. Reason, if it was someone internal to the Browns, it could easily backfire as another failed attempt to lure a popular HC to the Browns.

Yeah, Lombardi.. I think Cal is Right...
You really haven't considered a third possibility? How about Harbaugh? Think it through for a moment. It might come to you.
Quote:

You really haven't considered a third possibility? How about Harbaugh? Think it through for a moment. It might come to you.

yes of course, I see your point. He could have floated that story to get a better deal. No question

I'm still going with Lombardi however. Reason, Harbaugh is gonna get his coin either way.
Quote:

Was listening to a talk show and the guy on it mentioned that JH and the 49ers were a little at odds with each other.
I don't know how much, I do know in the past it has been noted there were some differences between him and the team so I would tend to think that could have come from him,..and supposedly Lombardi is good friends with him also.
This is just another fabrication that comes out during the off season. Complete and utter nonsense. No WAY would the Niners deal their Head Coach. No WAY would Harbaugh even consider leaving that team, let alone for a team like the Browns.
The Browns may have called. But IF they did, I'm certain they got laughed off the phone. Loudly.

He's had the Niners in the playoffs every season he's been there, and took them to a SB two years ago. They made the NFC Championship this last season. To cut ties with Harbaugh would be monumentally stupid.

I call BS.
That makes sense to me.
Quote:

This is just another fabrication that comes out during the off season. Complete and utter nonsense. No WAY would the Niners deal their Head Coach. No WAY would Harbaugh even consider leaving that team, let alone for a team like the Browns.
The Browns may have called. But IF they did, I'm certain they got laughed off the phone. Loudly.

He's had the Niners in the playoffs every season he's been there, and took them to a SB two years ago. They made the NFC Championship this last season. To cut ties with Harbaugh would be monumentally stupid.

I call BS.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that Lombardi made that call (which is another reason he's gone perhaps) to help Harbaugh out with contract talks in SF.

Then Leak the story to the press at the combine to get a dig in against the Browns..

But who knows and I agree with you,, This whole story smells bad,, a little like BS....
Quote:

Quote:

yes of course, I see your point. He could have floated that story to get a better deal. No question

I'm still going with Lombardi however. Reason, Harbaugh is gonna get his coin either way.

Harbaugh doesn't need to float that story for any reason, in fact it would be stupid to do so, alienating him both from the players and from ownership. Besides, if there were so called draft picks involved and since Harbaugh is under contract, then ownership, not Harbaugh, would be taking lead in negotiations. So to think Harbaugh is leaking this story to improve his negotiating position against an ownership that would have to be complicit in and desirous of getting rid of him in the first place is completely ridiculous. This whole thing stinks of fantasy and has the stench of Lombardi all over it.
If the rumor has any legs..If it came from him...Maybe he wants out....?
I could see Lombardi leaking this also.
I think we'll eventually learn that an inquiry was made and rejected and that's all that happened. Everything else and anything having to do with the leak and inflated scope of this story is Lombardi related. JMHO
Actually what was reported on the NFL Network today made the most sense to me.

Basically stated there was an initial call made and Harbaugh simply balked at the idea of leaving San Fran. No draft picks or terms mentioned because it never got that far.

But secondly, I don't see how leaking a story where you refused to leave your job as their coach would alienate any fans. To me it would show them you want to be there and refused to leave.

There was a similar story about offers from Texas to Harbaugh which he also refused.

How would you draw the conclusion that would alienate your fan base?
The original story leaked was that he was set to do the deal but his family, specifically his wife said no. Where do you see me concluding it would alienate the fan base? Though it certainly could be true if there were a shred of truth to the original story.
Quote:

Harbaugh doesn't need to float that story for any reason, in fact it would be stupid to do so, alienating him both from the players and from ownership.

From this post you made on the previous page.
Quote:

Quote:

Harbaugh doesn't need to float that story for any reason, in fact it would be stupid to do so, alienating him both from the players and from ownership.

From this post you made on the previous page.

Yeah... Don't see fan base written there, but as I posted...
from the redzone............

Mike Pettine said the Harbaugh trade story had 'zero effect' on him

2/22/2014 3:51:02 PM

Browns coach Mike Pettine stressed Saturday that he doesn't give a "flying ----'' or a "rat's ---'' about the report the Browns tried to trade for 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh just before they hired him, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports..

"I got a phone call saying that report was about to come out and I shot the messenger a little bit,'' Pettine said at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I asked, ‘How does that affect my tenure as the head coach? Has that changed?' The obvious answer was 'no' and I think my next sentence, I either used the word flying followed by something, or referenced a part of a rat’s body.''

Pettine vowed that the report, by profootballtalk.com's Mike Florio, will have no bearing on his job moving forward.

"It doesn't faze me,'' he said. "That's noise to me. That’s a critical thing. A big part of being an NFL head coach is dealing with the noise, dealing with the distractions. Just add that one to list.''

Pettine said that if anything, such a power-play makes a positive statement on the club.

"What it tells me is that the Cleveland Browns have a desire to win and get this team back to a championship level,'' he said. "To me, it shows the commitment, but as far as how it affects me and my approach to how I'm going to coach this football team and how we are moving forward, has zero effect.''
Vers I think they were in hot water for their responsibilities of the poor showing in 2013. But it was the interview process that shocked Haslam I believe. As Lombardi had two big names in McDaniels and Harbaugh but I think the discord between Banner and Lombardi showed up and was obvious to both candidate and Haslam - Something turned Harbaugh off as he was the one who nixed it at the end but in the beginning was the one who sort of gave it a nod with Lombardi. Also McDaniels chose to bow out as well again in both case it wasn't Lombardi who scared them off.

We know of the Wisenhunt but that was public and we know of the whats his name highly recommended by BB and the OSU HC. I think the friction and growing farther apart in Banner and Lombardi was very evident turning off a lot of the candidates and Haslam. Who knew until the bits and pieces came in.

In a way I actually feel sorry for Lombardi...I think if it was just him as CEO and Farmer as GM it would have worked out as it seemed Lombardi had a plan but Banner did not.
Just clicking

I was wondering, how many of you really feel that going after Harbaugh (if true) was a bad idea?

First off, I think the entire thing was blown out of whack.. But, if true, I'd say that it's basically turning over every rock to find a winner. that can't be a bad thing.
Guess it was true after all

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/02/23...d-jim-harbaugh/
Quote:

Guess it was true after all

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/02/23...d-jim-harbaugh/

WOW,, This is the article that Dawg LB mentioned in PM I guess..

Anyway, not sure how others look at this, but what it says to me is that Haslam left no stone unturned to get a HC.. That's actually pretty bold..

EDIT: Another thought occurred to me.. By saying that he did try to get Harbaugh, all those that said it didn't happen are now known liars LOL wow. I bet he made a few friends......
Haslam needs to learn to shut up. He just made Farmer's job a lot harder as other teams in the league will be hesitant to discuss trade scenarios with us in the future knowing the ownership of the Browns has a big mouth.

At least we know he now didn't know about what was going on at Pilot Flying J. If he did, he would have told the whole world.
For me, I'm glad this never happened.

1. It probably would have cost us a boat load of picks (some of which I'm guessing would be early rounders). At this point we have nothing significant to show from the 2013 draft. I would hate for the same thing to possibly happen in 2014.

2. I've always viewed Harbaugh as a loose cannon. Sure, he is a good coach but it looks as though he is becoming another guy that wants all the credit and power over the front office and it is wearing organization thin. Talk about egos.....

Try to imagine Banner and Harbaugh in a draft war room!
Quote:

Haslam needs to learn to shut up. He just made Farmer's job a lot harder as other teams in the league will be hesitant to discuss trade scenarios with us in the future knowing the ownership of the Browns has a big mouth.

At least we know he now didn't know about what was going on at Pilot Flying J. If he did, he would have told the whole world.

that was good...

Seriously, he shouldn't have spoken about it. He should have shut up.
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. He does need to keep his mouth shut.

I think we may be getting a NEO Jerry Jones on our hands.
Quote:

For me, I'm glad this never happened.

No need to worry; Harbaugh would have failed his physical...
Quote:

What? They asked the 49ers about it, they lied about it. Haslam was asked about it, and said there was something there that didn't materialize.

Big deal.
This is after the 49ers CEO said he knew nothing about it though. He didn't make any friends with that move.

littlebig...I agree, not a big deal...

...the story has been public for two or three days and 90% or more believe the Browns and 9ers had some kind of talks concerning Harbaugh going to Cleveland for draft picks.

The idea that Haslam just gave up top secret information that is somehow going to damage the creditability of the Browns front office is a bit of a stretch.

Haslam simply confirmed what everyone already believed happened.
j/c

How far or to what level did this permeate into the 49ers FO? I understand that the Browns (and Texas) made an inquiry to Harbaugh's agent. According to the story, Harbaugh briefly considered the move and subsequently declined. Now did this actually reach the 49ers FO and was trade compensation discussed? Don't know...
Yeah, I think that would've been the smarter move. If they didn't want to deny it (because that would've been lying, I guess), they could've put out another canned "neither confirm nor deny" statements for the media to chew on. When pressed, he should've said, "it's in the past, we got our guy."

Or, the other GMs just don't care...
Yeah. I think this was a nod to the fans that said "See guys, we didn't screw up. We almost got our guy." but after he confirmed it, it's just screaming it. I think Haslam should watch House of Cards more. Realpolitiking only works if people don't know you're the perpetrator.
Oh, I didn't read that from it at all.

In my opinion, the whole process of getting Harbaugh here would've been so crazy, the fact that it didn't work out isn't disappointing or anything for me. The shocking part of this whole story is that the deal got as far as it did. You can't really be disappointed, or hold it against anyone that that deal wasn't completed (hence, why I won't say they didn't get their guy).

I think this looks worse for the 9ers than us. Was I the only one that picked up on that little nugget in the article that Harbaugh was the first one that expressed interest in coming here? That's a new wrinkle that I hadn't read yet.
At the risk of sounding extremely pretentious, I wouldn't consider us the average fan. I feel like we calculate the payment for Harbaugh while others wouldn't, at first. For example take the RG3 trade, I know a fair amount of Browns fans who are still mad we didn't take that deal despite seeing the results of that deal for the Rams.
I believe we have Harbaugh and his agent using the trade information to pressure the 9ers owner to improve the contract offer to Harbaugh. Haslam simply confirmed what had already been leaked.

Some believe it was Lombardi who leaked the info...anyone know if Lombardi and Harbaugh have the same agent?

I do agree, this really looks bad for the 49ers ownership...they look cheap and unappreciative of Harbaugh's effort.
Sorry did I miss something where is it known that it was Haslam who leaked this out...all he did was basically Not lie about it. Unless that article states that it was Haslam that leaked it to the media. Actually Farmer's job was made easier via the firing of Lombardi n Banner cause it was then that a few NFL teams stated...now we can talk with the Browns again.
Quote:

Quote:

What? They asked the 49ers about it, they lied about it. Haslam was asked about it, and said there was something there that didn't materialize.

Big deal.

Actually, it is kind of a big deal. The 9ers exec was asked about it, so was Harbaugh. Both said nothing happened. So by saying that he did approach the 9ers and it didn't materialize, Haslam has made them out to be liers.

Yeah, it's kind of a big deal. That's going to be a topic of discussion at the next owners/league meetings.

Will they kiss and make up, yeah, will it turn out to be some kinda major problem, no I don't think so. But he did embarrass the 9ers organization

The Yorks and the Haslams are partners in the NFL... Partners don't do that to Partners.. Usually, there is some resentment that lingers. Maybe not cause any problems, but it's always there.
I would agree, it's a knock to the 49'ers organization who are still denying anything ever happened/materialized. They're basically liars now...

I'm shocked that Jimmy would confirm it actually. More stupid/pointless pressure (cause it's already happened with the media morons at the combine) on Mike to answer stupid rhetorical questions. He already has enough going on and the questions the media asks are just... so dumb I feel bad for Mike for having to endure it. What difference does it make how Mike feels that Jimmy pursued so-n-so anyway? Media
Quote:

I would agree, it's a knock to the 49'ers organization who are still denying anything ever happened/materialized. They're basically liars now...

Or Haslam is! I forgot, it's a 2 way street......
Pretty good summary of the Harbaugh situation:

Quote:

On Friday afternoon, a relatively quiet NFL scouting combine was interrupted by a stunning story, as Pro Football Talk quoted multiple league sources in reporting that the 49ers and Browns had nearly completed a trade that would have sent 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh to Cleveland. Mike Florio’s initial report said a swap of Harbaugh for picks “was in place between the teams,” and when the Browns released a statement that failed to deny the report, rumors began to run rampant. While 49ers owner Jed York denied the story was true on Twitter, multiple sources around the league — including Browns owner Jimmy Haslam have since confirmed there were some discussions regarding a possible Harbaugh move to Cleveland. Exciting!

Of course, this move won’t be happening; the Browns eventually hired Mike Pettine to be their new head coach and promptly overhauled the remainder of their front office by parting ways executives Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi, so even if there was a brief window of opportunity for a Harbaugh trade, it’s now safely shut. But that doesn’t make the idea of a Harbaugh trade much less interesting, nor does it preclude the 49ers from considering one in the future. That this story even happened might very well tell us a lot about Harbaugh’s future with the team, or at the very least, his current level of happiness with the organization. Let’s break down what happened, how it could have worked for both sides, and what to look for going forward with the Harbaugh-49ers relationship.

1. Is the story true?

There’s almost definitely some truth to the rumors. There is little reason to believe the Browns would make up the story, leak it to multiple league sources, allow them to leak it to the media, and then refuse to deny it, especially after failing to complete the transaction and hiring a different coach. Harbaugh would gain nothing from confirming the reports publicly and seeming like he wants out of San Francisco when no such deal is coming, but if his camp leaked the story, it would be their way of casting aspersions on the organization and beginning to create the narrative that the team doesn’t want him around. The 49ers have absolutely nothing to gain from confirming the story whatsoever. Put it this way: The Browns are one of the most sputtering organizations in football and have been for a decade now. Do you really think they’re suddenly capable of pulling an elaborate con that lured in some of the most notable reporters around the league? Something happened here.

Of course, the specific nature of what exactly happened is up for grabs. One man’s negotiations can be another’s hypothetical conversation. Florio’s report suggested the Browns and 49ers had agreed on compensation for Harbaugh, but that the head coach turned down the opportunity. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen confirmed the “substance” of the report, noting that the Browns’ run at Harbaugh had reached a “serious stage.” York said the report “isn’t true,” a statement Harbaugh reiterated when reached for comment by 49ers writer Matt Maiocco.

There’s enough wiggle room in all those statements for there to have been some contact between Harbaugh and the Browns without anybody having to lie. Tim Kawakami laid out a convincing-if-hypothetical argument suggesting that the Browns would have contacted Harbaugh through Harbaugh’s assistant, Mick Lombardi, the son of Mike Lombardi. The initial inquiry might very well have been to interview one of the respected assistants on San Francisco’s staff, but Kawakami suggests Harbaugh might have instead told the Browns that he would be interested in a possible deal to leave for Cleveland. For what it’s worth, Cleveland radio host Joe Lull laid this out as the actual way things went down, with the deal falling apart over terms of compensation.

In any case, it doesn’t take much to satisfy the terms of the various rumors and reports. Through some channel, the Browns and Harbaugh need to have expressed some level of interest in completing a deal, at which point the rest of the San Francisco front office was likely made aware of a possible situation brewing. There were likely preliminary discussions of what the draft-pick compensation would look like, either internally in San Francisco or via an offer from Cleveland to which the 49ers were, at some level, amenable. An outline of terms for Harbaugh’s contract and specific level of power within the organization was likely discussed with Harbaugh’s agent, David Dunn. And then, at some point, the deal fell apart. It seems unlikely the parties had all agreed on everything, only for Harbaugh to decide against putting his name on the dotted line at the last moment. Likewise, it’s hard to figure this was as simple as the Browns asking about Harbaugh, the 49ers saying no, and the discussion ending there. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

2. Is it even legal to trade your head coach?

It appears so, yes. The league banned the practice of trading assets for coaches in 2003, after the Buccaneers sent a bounty of picks to the Raiders for Jon Gruden, but at some point in the interim, the rules again changed to legalize the practice. NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello released a statement noting the following league policy:

Except for Head Coaches and High-Level Club Employees (club presidents, general managers, and persons with equivalent responsibility and authority), clubs are not permitted to exchange draft choices or cash for the release of individuals who are under contract to another organization.

A Harbaugh trade would have been legal under league rules.

3. Why would Harbaugh want to leave the 49ers for Cleveland?

A fair question. Of course, it would seem odd for Harbaugh to leave what is regarded as one of the league’s best franchises for one of its worst. The 49ers are overflowing with young talent and set to compete for the foreseeable future; the Browns have three stars in Josh Gordon, Joe Haden, and Joe Thomas, but lack the sort of depth the 49ers have in spades. While the Browns have two first-round picks in this year’s deep draft after the Trent Richardson trade, Cleveland would surely be forced to give up a serious haul as part of any trade for Harbaugh, limiting his ability to quickly turn around the roster. Having built one of the league’s best coaching staffs in San Francisco, Harbaugh would likely need to rebuild things in Cleveland without the services of his coordinators. And, obviously, it’s a lot easier to build a winner with Colin Kaepernick than it is with Brian Hoyer, Brandon Weeden, Alex Tanney or Jason Campbell, the three current quarterbacks on Cleveland’s roster.

So, if it’s impossible to construct a case for Harbaugh to leave for football reasons, it seems logical to believe the reasons he might choose to leave would be personal. Namely, Harbaugh would want to leave San Francisco only if he didn’t enjoy being part of the 49ers organization. It’s the only plausible explanation, and in the past 72 hours, arguments to that point have begun to arise. Kawakami’s description of Harbaugh, almost surely informed by folks within the 49ers organization, speaks to the perception surrounding the head coach:

Larger point: I know some 49ers fans — or mostly Harbaugh fans — don’t want to hear this, but the reality is that Harbaugh is a combustible commodity who has 49ers HQ very unsettled most days and now he’s coming up on a contract extension that he really thought he deserved last year, so things are a little pent-up between coach and management.

That looming contract negotiation pops up in reports as a flash point for the organization. Harbaugh signed a five-year, $25 million deal to take over as 49ers head coach before the 2011 season, and after going 36-11-1 while leading the team to a Super Bowl and three consecutive NFC Championship Games, Harbaugh likely expects his next deal to be among the largest in football. Both Kawakami and Maiocco, though, report that the 49ers are hesitant to make Harbaugh one of the league’s highest-paid coaches until he wins a Super Bowl, with Maiocco reporting that the 49ers would likely offer Harbaugh an extension similar to his current contract, only with a hefty incentive for winning the Super Bowl. Such an extension — my speculation here — could look like a three-year, $20 million deal with a $2 million escalator were Harbaugh to claim the Super Bowl at any time during the deal. Harbaugh would probably expect to receive something like $8 million per year in an extension with the 49ers. The Browns would surely have had to pay over the odds to get Harbaugh, but more on that in a minute.

4. Why would the 49ers want to move on from Harbaugh?

For a few reasons. If the contract impasse is significant enough that the 49ers fear Harbaugh would leave for another NFL team (or a high-profile college program) at the end of his deal, it would make sense for the 49ers to sell high on Harbaugh while they can, allowing them to replace him with one of the members of his highly touted staff while picking up a fortune in draft picks in the process.

Kawakami also reported as recently as December that there was definite tension in the relationship between Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke, who has final say in the team’s personnel decisions. A move might give Harbaugh the chance to, at the very least, have a much larger say in shopping for the team’s groceries; it might also give Baalke a chance to mold the team without public disagreements from his head coach. (It’s also worth noting that every combination of head coach and general manager disagrees on specific player valuations, so it’s entirely possible the conflicts don’t represent a problem.) Harbaugh might have suspected Lombardi to be a more amenable partner.

The 49ers can certainly afford to sign Harbaugh, but if they felt like a large contract extension didn’t represent good value, they could certainly pocket a significant return while paying another coach a relatively cheaper sum.

5. Why would the Browns want to acquire Harbaugh?

Chris Palmer
Butch Davis
Terry Robiskie
Romeo Crennel
Eric Mangini
Pat Shurmur
Rob Chudzinski

6. How much should it have cost the Browns to acquire Harbaugh?

The fun stuff! For whatever issues the 49ers and their head coach might possibly have, it certainly doesn’t appear that Harbaugh is exactly on the trading block. The public-relations hit the 49ers would take if they dealt away their wildly successful head coach, especially as they move into a new stadium, would be downright brutal, especially if they failed to make it back to the NFC Championship Game without Harbaugh around in 2014. It would be a very risky move for the 49ers, and with two years left on Harbaugh’s original contract, it would take an overwhelming offer for the 49ers to even consider trading him away.

The most similar situation to a possible Harbaugh trade would likely be the aforementioned Jon Gruden deal between the Raiders and the Buccaneers. Gruden had taken over a 4-12 team and gone 38-26 in his four years with the Raiders, taking a trip to the AFC Championship Game in his third season before losing to the Patriots in the infamous Tuck Rule divisional-round contest during his fourth and final season at the helm. He was regarded as one of the league’s better coaches, but like Harbaugh, he hadn’t yet broken through to the Super Bowl level. The 9-7 Buccaneers had just fired Tony Dungy after six seasons at the helm, owing mostly to Dungy’s 2-4 record in the playoffs. The Buccaneers expected to replace Dungy with Bill Parcells, but after Parcells turned Tampa down, the Buccaneers were left desperate for a big name.

They attempted to first go after 49ers coach Steve Mariucci, but after that fell through, the Buccaneers went after Gruden, who had one year left on his deal. Afraid of losing him for nothing, the Raiders bit the bullet and dealt Chucky to the Buccaneers for a massive haul: Tampa Bay’s first- and second-round picks in the 2002 draft, their first-rounder in the 2003 draft, a second-rounder in the 2004 draft, and $8 million in cash. That’s pretty close to the haul the Rams got for trading down in the 2012 draft and handing Washington the rights to Robert Griffin III.

The Buccaneers had been a playoff-caliber team for years under Dungy, so the Raiders likely made the trade figuring that the picks would be toward the bottom of each round. In constructing a similar haul for a possible 49ers-Browns deal, it’s not necessarily fair to make the same assumption about Cleveland’s picks, which are likely to be toward the top half of the draft. Furthermore, at the moment, the Browns are loaded with picks; by virtue of the extra first-rounder they have from the Richardson trade and the third-rounder they acquired from the Steelers in a draft-day deal last year, Cleveland has the most valuable set of selections in football for this year’s draft. (More on that after compensatory picks are announced.)

If the 49ers wanted to go for the quantity-over-quality approach, the Browns could have offered a pretty similar deal to what Tampa offered for Gruden a decade ago. They could have sent Indy’s first-round pick (26) in this year’s draft, their own third-rounder (71), and Indy’s fourth-rounder (125) while still maintaining at least one pick in each round. They likely would have also had to throw in their 2015 first-rounder (likely to be juicy unless Harbaugh turned things around quickly) and a 2016 second-rounder, providing the 49ers with five picks for their head coach. Cash considerations would also likely come into play, especially if the 49ers planned on using some of the money to buy a coach like Stanford’s David Shaw out of his college deal.

On the other hand, the 49ers could have opted for a premium pair of selections. Would they make this trade if the Browns offered them the fourth overall pick in this year’s draft, their first-rounder in 2015, and a conditional midround pick in 2016? With one of the deepest rosters in the league and five picks in the first three rounds this year, the 49ers might very well prefer to pick up a premium selection at the top of the draft. Could they have ended up with Jadeveon Clowney to play across from Aldon Smith if they get up to four? What about lining up Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins on the outside across from Michael Crabtree? The 49ers don’t lack for much, but if they’re going to lose Harbaugh, why not get a top-five pick out of it?

If the Niners are weak anywhere, it’s in the secondary, so a third option could have seen the Browns include one of their core players, cornerback Joe Haden, in a Harbaugh deal. Haden’s rookie deal is up after this season, so the Browns wouldn’t have taken a huge hit in dead money by dealing him, but the 49ers would have had to give Haden an extension as part of any trade. Haden is probably worth a first-round pick in today’s market (think the Percy Harvin and Darrelle Revis trades), so the Browns might have alternately offered something like Haden, the 26th and 71st overall picks in the 2014 draft, and a second-rounder in 2015 to try to get the job done.

I don’t know that the 49ers would have accepted any of those deals, but if the Gruden trade is a fair comp (and I think it is), those three deals represent roughly similar levels of compensation.

7. How much is Harbaugh worth on an annual basis?

Wouldn’t you know I just happened to write about this very topic on this very site? In December 2012, I wrote that Harbaugh was one of the biggest bargains in football, and nothing has changed to make me think otherwise. You can read that piece for a longer explanation, but my logic dates back to those trades for the likes of Gruden. The haul the Buccaneers sent to Oakland for Gruden isn’t much different from the sort of deal Washington did for Griffin or the Bears did to acquire Jay Cutler.

In other words, a great coach has roughly the same trade value that a Pro Bowl–caliber young quarterback enjoys. When those quarterbacks sign extensions or hit the free market, they get paid in a way coaches simply don’t. Cutler’s deal pays him an average of $17 million over its first five seasons. It should stand to reason, then, that the value of a great coach like Harbaugh should approach that same figure; my estimate is that Harbaugh is probably worth around $15 million per year.

Bizarrely, the coaching market doesn’t allow for anywhere near that large of a deal, even though coaching salaries are uncapped. Sean Payton is reportedly the highest-paid coach in football, and he made $8 million last year. Isn’t that crazy? Twenty-four NFL players made more than that last year, and as you might suspect, some of them aren’t any good! Mark Sanchez ($8.3 million) had a larger salary than Bill Belichick ($7.5 million) last year, and the Sanchize made it over $10 million with bonuses included. How does that make sense?

The coaching market has a correction coming at some point over the next 10 years; with colleges able to pay coaches more than ever before and teams desperate to find advantages outside the salary cap, the current market just doesn’t make much sense. The Buccaneers tripled Gruden’s salary when they acquired him from Oakland; I doubt the Browns would have done that for Harbaugh, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they offered to give him $10 million per season to become their head coach, which would make him the first coach in league history with an eight-figure annual salary and double his current pay.

8. Should this deal have happened?

I don’t like it for either side, honestly. While the Browns unquestionably want a coach with a proven track record of success to oversee yet another rebuilding project in Cleveland, it was only a few years ago that they turned to Mike Holmgren as team president and found him lacking, with Haslam firing him after three years at the helm. Harbaugh would have more input as a head coach, obviously, but he would have needed time to rebuild the roster with Lombardi, a move that would have been exceedingly difficult after having traded four or five key picks away to the 49ers as part of Harbaugh’s compensation package.

While there’s always value in picking up a host of draft picks, this isn’t a move that makes a ton of sense for the 49ers, who already have plenty of picks and need a star coach to help get the most out of their talented roster. The team might be in solid hands if they turned things over to defensive line coach Jim Tomsula, offensive coordinator Greg Roman, defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, or another candidate, but there’s no guarantee those guys can match what Harbaugh does. It seems distant now, but the 49ers spent most of the decade before Harbaugh’s arrival in the NFL wilderness, floundering with the likes of Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, and Mike Singletary at the helm. While Singletary did a good job of setting a locker-room tone and culture of discipline within the organization, Harbaugh has gotten more out of virtually every player who was around during the Singletary era since taking over as head coach. He might be abrasive, but given his bargain-basement price and the scarcity of truly great coaches, it’s just too difficult to trade away Harbaugh unless he leaves the team with no other choice. And that’s not the case yet.

9. What does this mean for Harbaugh’s future in San Francisco?

Well, for the first time during his run as 49ers head coach, there will be serious questions about the likelihood of Harbaugh signing an extension with the team. While some stories briefly linked Harbaugh to the Texas job in late 2013, those rumors were never serious. Now, the league will be watching closely to see if Harbaugh does decide to secure his long-term future in San Francisco. If he makes it to 2015 without an extension, there will be serious questions about whether Harbaugh will be entering a lame-duck year with the Niners. It might actually encourage both parties to come to the negotiating table for an extension earlier than otherwise would have happened.

I also think it makes a Harbaugh trade less likely, just because the element of surprise is gone. The 49ers will be hesitant to even discuss Harbaugh trade talks with another team having already gone through this, and once it looks like they’re shopping their head coach around, it limits their leverage and, with that, their expected return for Harbaugh.

To be honest, I think the 49ers end up re-signing Harbaugh before long. It’s the best move for both him and the team. This might end up as only a trivial footnote on Harbaugh’s Wikipedia page, but if there’s more than meets the eye here, it could be the first sign that Harbaugh’s successful reign in San Francisco is beginning to come to an end.

Grantland
The 49ers would be stupid not to pay Jim. He might be a little out there, but you can't argue the results. Remember this team was a trainwreck with Mike Singletary coaching them. They had loads of talent back then. He actually benched Alex Smith for Troy Smith.
Quote:

He might be a little out there,

"He's crazy"

(like a fox)
Quote:

The terms of the trade that Harbaugh ultimately didn’t want (based on our report) could go a long way toward shaping his future value if a deal happens, but those terms remain unknown. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported over the weekend that the package did not include a first-round pick.

Link
Saw that earlier.

Didn't really buy it.

No way that they would consider it without a first or two. Just can't see anyway that would have been discussed.
Maybe thats why it "didn't materialize"?
Lot's of speculation. Not many facts.

The interesting thing is how would people have reacted had it actually taken place. I think it comes down to how much were the Browns willing to part with to get Harbaugh.

Without knowing the terms, it's impossible to draw any conclusions in this particular situation.
Quote:

We know for sure there were discussions. The owners of both the 49ers and the Browns have acknowledged that they were discussions. What we don't know is how far along the discussions were.
Quote:

The interesting thing is how would people have reacted had it actually taken place. I think it comes down to how much were the Browns willing to part with to get Harbaugh.

Without knowing the terms, it's impossible to draw any conclusions in this particular situation.

I don't think it's hard at all to draw conclusions.

I honestly don't know how some would have reacted, but what it does show is that they left no stone unturned.

But, I think if you look at it, he's one of the best coaches over the last 4 years in the league. I mean, it's hard to find much wrong with him as a HC. so he'd be a terrific hire I believe.

What would they have had to give up,, my guess, at least the #4 pick this year and probably more.

I know that wouldn't make you happy Vers, because that would have eliminated any chance of getting Teddy or Johnny.

But even you have to admit, that would have been a very bold move. VERY.

It's hard to draw conclusions because we don't know what was offered in terms of draft picks. The reports have said "multiple picks."

Well, it would have been great if it was late round picks in the next couple of years, but not so great if it would have involved first round picks.

But yes..........it would have been bold.
Posted By: Olskool711 Jim Harbaugh - 02/27/14 02:53 AM
What am I missing?

Jim Harbaugh

*Every Unit on the Field Plays Tough
*Team plays tough, physical football that will break you down.
*You go up against him, you are in a fight.
*Innovative, yet old school football
*Took over 6-10 forty niner team
*3 years, 3 NFC Championships
*1 Super Bowl (very questionable, crucial, officiating call)
*Turned Alex Smith from a "deer in headlights bust" into a winner.
*Kaepernick (I watched this kid in college for four years, Harbaughs most amazing accomplishment by far!)
*Andrew Luck was not near the top ten in High School Quarterbacks his Senior Year. I think he was 3 star.
*Took over a Stanford program that was so low it was embarrassing. Turned it completely around. With the coaches he developed they still are a top 5 program.
*Where is he from?

He can teach men to win. That is rare. Very, very rare.

There is no way pros play like the 49'rs do, play that hard, and the players not like the coach.

If we really didn't offer a first...
we should have

Question is, what could be wrong with the Forty Niners, what is that owner thinking?

For him to jeopardize this run, for him to "Jerry Jones" this thing is unimaginable. Could he be that dumb?

There are only so many guys out there who will do whatever it takes to win.

This is a guy that not only gives you the coach you need, he will turn around and build you your quarterback from scratch if he has to. He has shown that he can do it.

Our big problem has been that we have rarely ever had a coach who can handle the job. Marty did... eventually, but since Paul Brown the job has been bigger than anyone who filled the shoes can handle. Harbaugh could handle it. Holmgrem could have handled it but didn't step up. Mike Pettine could start by looking at what Harbaugh has done and see if he's willing to do what it would take to best him.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Jim Harbaugh - 02/27/14 02:17 PM
Jim Harbaugh's relationship with 49ers brass is getting worse

INDIANAPOLIS -- Things are not getting better behind the scenes for the San Francisco 49ers. There was a persistent rumble throughout the combine about the extent of the rift between coach Jim Harbaugh and the team's front office. It doesn't seem like it will go away, and there is increasing buzz that the team might have to decide between Harbaugh or GM Trent Baalke.

The men are barely speaking, I'm told, and almost all communication is through email. Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said, and he has clashed with many within the organization. It could prove untenable. If anything, the impression I got this week was that the situation there is actually much worse than how it has been portrayed in the media, and helps explain the delay in giving a new deal to the coach, who has two years left on a contract he has outperformed.

Harbaugh has done nothing but reach, at least, the NFC Championship Game since coming to San Francisco three years ago, and the longer this goes on, the worse it might get. To almost anyone I posited the question to, the response was pretty much the same -- there is no way they can't extend Harbaugh. But then again, in the NFL, you never know.

I've long expected Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh, and we all know he already tried to hire him before firing a coach in the past. I'm also not surprised that the Browns made an attempt to land him as well, although, from what I have heard of that situation, Cleveland's approach did not get very far. Still, if other teams sense a vulnerability there, they will continue to explore, and it's hard to imagine Harbaugh coaching out a lame-duck year there in 2015 if he hasn't received an extension by then.

This is a matter that will need attention this off-season, one way or the other. When the 49ers landed Harbaugh, his intensity, personality, potential issues getting along with others, etc., were no secret. Some wondered how long it might be before issues arose, with Baalke also very intense and strong-willed himself. If they did in some way move on from him -- via a trade or whatever -- many believe defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would be positioned to slide in.

Perhaps owner Jed York can find a way to make this situation work long term and retain the many talented people he has assembled. He has proven to be a dynamic leader and a problem solver already.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jaso...s-getting-worse
Posted By: Olskool711 Re: Jim Harbaugh - 02/27/14 04:36 PM
Smartest thing the Dolphins could ever do.
Posted By: eotab Re: Jim Harbaugh - 02/27/14 05:49 PM
At this point just like its known that there is trouble with a team and player and that player is going to get released...why TRADE???

Let him get fired and then hire him.

jmho
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Jim Harbaugh - 02/27/14 05:56 PM
Quote:

At this point just like its known that there is trouble with a team and player and that player is going to get released...why TRADE???

Let him get fired and then hire him.

jmho

if he gets fired, then you have competition for him, if you wanna make sure you get him, you make the trade. That way you KNOW you got him.

All depends on how much you want him and how much risk you are willing to take. Of course, at this point, every team is set so any teams that JUST hired new HC's would look like jackwads for doing that.
Posted By: Olskool711 Re: Jim Harbaugh - 02/27/14 06:21 PM
EO, they aren't going to fire him.

He has transcended the organization. Although the 49'rs FO may see themselves as young, cool, hip, gay, and trendy, if they lose Harbaugh they will have ramifications throughout their fanbase that will be devastating.

He "gets it"

The facts behind Harbaugh are different than the media garbage (ie read anything these charlatans write about the Cleveland Browns, Tebow, The Dolphins situation, etc...) that attempts to get our attention.

It appears that Harbaugh has probably pulled some power plays with the front office recently. And, for the forty niners sake that is probably a good thing. Like I said, he's transcended the GM, Owner, etc... all of them. Instead of them building trust with him, they have alienated him.

Stupid

Harbaugh is crazy like a fox. Other than the deal with USC and Carroll, he has never really crossed the line. This "combustible" thing is a typical sports journalist telling you what to think campaign.

I wonder what Seahawks fans are REALLY thinking right now? The most dangerous man in their universe is being carved up by his own people - he's being ripped apart from the inside. Destruction from within is far more devastating than any adversary can do.

Stupid, just plain stupid.
Posted By: eotab Re: Jim Harbaugh - 02/27/14 06:25 PM
you make the trade.

Gruden set the precedent...you compete for him rather than give up the multiple draft picks. Sometimes its pretty simple. Don't make it complicated.