OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Wow, if true

Quote:

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2014, 4:28 PM EST

Getty Images
The Browns’ unpredictable head-coaching search nearly finished with what would have been the most unpredictable outcome of any head-coaching search since Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Buccaneers a dozen years ago.

Per multiple league sources, the Cleveland Browns nearly pulled off a trade with the 49ers for the rights to coach Jim Harbaugh.

A deal that would have sent multiple draft picks to San Francisco was in place between the teams. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

The 49ers could not immediately be reached for comment. Efforts to contact the 49ers continue.

The Browns declined to comment specifically on whether an effort was made to acquire Jim Harbaugh. The Browns characterized the search as thorough, and the Browns acknowledged that many options were considered. The Browns emphasized that the team is excited about its new coach Mike Pettine.

A deal would have been stunning, for several reasons. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to the NFC title game in each of his three years with the team. Also, he would have joined the same division as his brother, Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

Which means they would have been squaring off at least twice per year, and competing directly for division titles and/or wild-card positioning.

Link

N
Legend
Legend
N
that would have been crazy. I'm guessing the haul in picks would have been massive as well. probably for the best it didn't happen but that would have been fun.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don't even know why the 49ers would consider this. Maybe it was a lot of picks and they just don't want to pay the man. Quite frankly the only thing that makes sense about this is that Harbaugh didn't want to come here.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
He's good

M
Legend
Legend
M
Umm......Wow!

Browns have Zak Gilbert on the situation now....won't deny the attempt.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I don't even know why the 49ers would consider this. Maybe it was a lot of picks and they just don't want to pay the man. Quite frankly the only thing that makes sense about this is that Harbaugh didn't want to come here.

Couldn't agree more. Honestly, I cannot believe any of this to be anything close to the truth... with that said - I'd surely take/took him over Mike. But I bet these "sources" are smoking crack with Davone Bess behind a McDonalds somewhere

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I could see SF agreeing if they contacted Shaw and he was willing to jump up and they were getting an absolute haul of draft picks.

But, I cannot see Harbaugh wanting to make the jump to go to a worse team, without a QB, and losing a bunch of draft picks (so may get worse in talent level over next few years).

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

probably for the best it didn't happen but that would have been fun.

I think Harbaugh is one hell of a coach, but I'd be interested to see what "massive" really is. If anything I think it shows a few things:

1. They must have liked the talent to give up "massive" picks. That and perhaps the intent to be extremely active in FA.
2. Maybe the FO liked Hoyer enough to run with him as the starter w/o the need for a early round QB selection.....Gruden cost two first rounders plus some other picks. Precedence is there. Massive could have been both first rounders.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
FWIW:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
In response to @ProFootballTalk report on #Browns nearly trading for Jim Harbaugh, #Niners source calls it “completely false. Ridiculous.”

https://twitter.com/RapSheet

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Jim Harbaugh= "Mystery Candidate"

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 02/21/14 06:19 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow is correct..that was the mystery person ..I never heard who it was ,just heard it was someone who was kept hidden behind the scenes..but what a impact that would have been..
But then there's this little bit about trading for HC's:

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel or scouts.

Last edited by Attack Dawg; 02/21/14 06:46 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Haslam must have been on board with this effort, if true. And some of us thought we were accumulating draft picks for a QB!!! Unfreaking believable, totally off the wall, bordering incompetent.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
How can you consider it incompetent when, 1. you don't even know if it's true and if it was true 2. you don't know what picks were even offered?

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

FWIW:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
In response to @ProFootballTalk report on #Browns nearly trading for Jim Harbaugh, #Niners source calls it “completely false. Ridiculous.”

https://twitter.com/RapSheet

This is more understandable/comprehensible lol...

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If true...it sounds like an act of desperation by someone in the Browns front office...wonder whose idea that was?

What happened to building the team via the draft?...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Infreekincredible! Shock and wonder. Sounds like draft wrecker potentially. I don't know the picks, but it surely wouldn't have been a firesale. Indicates some qualities JH/FO had in mind, I suspect. Hope farmer is killing evals at the combine.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Lots of people are wondering why Harbaugh and/or SF would be open to this. The speculation is that Harbaugh is expecting a nice pay bump for his next contract and SF doesn't want to pay that much for a HC so the idea is to try to get something now before you eventually lose Harbaugh anyways.

Just sharing the speculative explanation as to how this could even be possible.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How can this be true? If this applies?
Quote:

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel or scouts.

Something is not right here. Why would we offer picks when it states that you cannot if someone is under contract? Were we waiting for SF to fire him and then send them picks?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

What happened to building the team via the draft?...

Yeah.... This isn't what I liked about it.

We pretty much punted on the 2013 draft. This deal would have most likely punted 2014 as well.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How can you consider it incompetent when, 1. you don't even know if it's true and if it was true 2. you don't know what picks were even offered?

Oh, very easily. I said "if true" and "bordering incompetent". The trade was reported to involve "multiple" picks.

And mac: You're right in questioning whose brainstorm this idea was...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C.
I'll bet that no matter how many posts this topic gets more people than not will believe all of it EXCEPT the part where SF denies it. It overall preposterous to me.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Quote:

Quote:

Something is not right here. Why would we offer picks when it states that you cannot if someone is under contract? Were we waiting for SF to fire him and then send them picks?

That quote is from 2003. I don't know what the rules are that are in effect today but that is a pretty dated source to rely on. If it weren't allowed I think that fact would be highlighted pretty fast... and not just on this chat forum.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
From the SF Chronicle...

Did the San Francisco almost trade Jim Harbaugh to the Browns?

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm by Vic Tafur in 49ers

Multiple league sources have told Pro Football Talk that the Cleveland Browns nearly pulled off a trade for 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in exchange for multiple draft picks. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

The 49ers have not been reached for comment.

The Browns released a statement that not only failed to dispute the report, but essentially confirmed it: “The team conducted an extensive coaching search, and explored several options. That search produced an outstanding head coach in Mike Pettine and we’re excited about his future with the club.”

Per PFT’s Mike Florio, who reported the story, Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers: “Speculation that I’ve heard is that Harbaugh’s family, specifically his wife, wanted to stay put,” Florio said on 95.7 FM The Game.

Harbaugh has taken San Francisco to the NFC Championship Game in three consecutive seasons. He and recently fired Cleveland general manager Mike Lombardi are extremely tight, and there has been some recent media speculation that Harbaugh and 49ers general manager Trent Baalke are not. Harbaugh, a Raiders offensive assistant from 2002-03, worked with Lombardi when he was in Oakland’s front office. Lombardi’s son, Mick, was hired by the 49ers last year as an assistant to the head coach.

Harbaugh, who was two years remaining on his five-year, $25 million contract, is the third-highest paid coach in the NFC West. He is the only coach since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 to lead his team to a conference championship in each of his first three seasons. He is also tied for second for the most playoff wins (5) by a head coach in their first three seasons. The 49ers, who had 39 wins in the seven seasons before Harbaugh’s arrival, are 36-11-1 since 2011.

web page

C
Legend
Legend
C
Lombardi and Harbaugh are buddies going back to their days with the Raiders. Lombardi was almost hired as the GM of the 49ers when Harbaugh was hired as the head coach.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That quote is from 2003. I don't know what the rules are that are in effect today but that is a pretty dated source to rely on. If it weren't allowed I think that fact would be highlighted pretty fast... and not just on this chat forum.

These rules changed at the last owners meeting

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks Candy I did not know that.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

the third-highest paid coach in the NFC West.

Only the 3rd highest paid coach in his division? That doesn't sound cost prohibitive given the results he's achieved to me. Sounds more like a bargain price.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Lombardi and Harbaugh are buddies going back to their days with the Raiders. Lombardi was almost hired as the GM of the 49ers when Harbaugh was hired as the head coach. [/quote

I wonder if this is what finally prompted Haslam to clean house? It would have been a really crazy move that would have set us back even further, if such a thing is possible. Harbaugh is a good coach. Is he worth a bunch of draft picks? I'm curious about the details and time line of the deal.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Only the 3rd highest paid coach in his division? That doesn't sound cost prohibitive given the results he's achieved to me. Sounds more like a bargain price.

Right. Which will obviously change on his next contract.

I don't understand why SF cares how much they pay their HC if he's doing what JH is doing.

The guy would have a statue in Cleveland with his resume.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Browns released a statement that not only failed to dispute the report, but essentially confirmed it: “The team conducted an extensive coaching search, and explored several options. That search produced an outstanding head coach in Mike Pettine and we’re excited about his future with the club.”

How in the hell does that confirm anything? In confirms that they explored several options, it confirms they hired Pettine.

Just because it doesn't say we didn't go after Harbaugh, doesn't mean we did.

But, let's say we did, Haslam said they'd be bold, that would fit for sure.

If they did, I think it shows that Haslam is willing to do whatever it takes.

Am I alone in thinking that this is a positive?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
" That guy would have a statue in Cleveland with his resume."

Fixed it..Sorry..had to

I don't know about statues...Hell Jim Brown doesn't have one...

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
He said 'essentially confirmed', and there's a strong argument to be made based on the team's statement. There's allusion and a lack of denial.

Normally, when an organization is reported to have engaged in head scratching behavior, they deny it.

I don't know if there's truth to the reports or not, but reading the team's statement, I lean towards the former.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Ummm. didn't the league outlaw such a thing after the Gruden trade ?
I don't believe this is even a possibility,

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
No, Herm Edwards was traded a few years later.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the Browns didn't mind confirming it somewhat, because it lets the fan base know he explored every option....gives the Jimmaayy some good PR. I believe the source within the 49ers who leaked it to begin with was Harbaugh himself, because it makes him look sympathetic and gives him negotiating power moving forward.

Someone mentioned in another thread and it holds true here IMO.......these "insiders" get information that people want to be made public for one reason or another.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
...then why didn't we at least try to get a bag of peanuts or something for Shurmur?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

...then why didn't we at least try to get a bag of peanuts or something for Shurmur?

Banner wanted a grilled cheese, Lombardi wanted chocolate milk. Started a whole argument, big mess.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

J/C ........

Of course he's the 3rd highest paid coach.

Look who else is in that division.

Jeff Fisher with the Rams. He was heavily sought after. I'm sure he got a huge deal to come to St Louis.

Pete Carroll with the Seahawks.I am certain that he got an enormous deal to take over the Seahawks.

These were 2 coaches who didn't come cheap. The other coach in the division is Bruce Arians with the Cardinals.

Man, that division is stacked with great coaching talent. When Jeff Fisher might just be the 3rd or 4th best coach in your division, you have some serious coaching talent.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Wow...what is interesting is back in January via message or even a Facebook mention a fellow dawg with inside info told me he doesn't know what but that we got some Big Impact hire coming for an Experienced head coach...right away I'm thinking of course Gruden. But now I see what it was about and yes it was big time impact.

In sort of a way I'm happy with what we got and the multiple draft picks we would have had to give up to get him are still here.

And on the flip side I liked him before he became a candidate to come out of Stanford and coach in the NFL. I'm surprised that the FO wants him out. Thats like us wanting Marty out of here back in the day! What a great deal that would have been. Hey props out to Lombardi...now I'm wondering if most of the problems was with Banner.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Mort confirms “substance” of our Harbaugh report

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2014, 10:23 PM EST

It’s been an interesting day in Indianapolis.

Not long after finishing the last of 19 coach/G.M. interviews for Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, we nailed down the news that the Browns and 49ers had a trade in place to send Jim Harbaugh to Cleveland, and that Harbaugh ultimately opted not to consummate the deal.

The Browns did not deny the news, telling PFT that there would be no comment on the specific report, but explaining that many options were considered during the search for a new coach. The 49ers didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The 49ers apparently opted to try a different approach to denying the report with a press release, leaking to NFL Media via an unnamed source that the notion that the report is both “completely false” and “ridiculous.” It seemed odd that the 49ers wouldn’t use those terms on the record if the report were indeed “completely false” and “ridiculous,” so we pointed that out.

So then 49ers CEO Jed York decided to address the situation on Twitter. “Report isn’t true,” York said.

It’s unclear whether York takes issue with all or just part of the report. He has declined a request to elaborate, explaining to PFT that he has nothing more to add.

Enter Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

“Browns did indeed make a run at Jim Harbaugh that reached a serious stage, sources confirm substance of @ProFootballTalk report,” Mortensen said via Twitter.

Given the sensitive nature of the relationship between the 49ers and Harbaugh — a relationship sufficiently volatile to apparently prompt the 49ers to consider ending it — it’s easy to understand why the 49ers would take the position that the report isn’t true. Since the trade didn’t happen, the 49ers need to work with Harbaugh.

They also may need to sign Harbaugh to a long-term contract, breaking the impasse that currently exists, according to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

In the end, the biggest winner could be Harbaugh. For the 49ers to persuade the average fan that they really didn’t think about divorcing Harbaugh, the 49ers may need to renew the vows.

Vows written by Harbaugh.

web page

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Sources: Browns tried to trade for Jim Harbaugh

Link Copied to Clipboard