DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:21 PM
Browns, Joe Haden agree to new contract through 2019

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 13, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Joe Haden
AP
The Browns are making a long-term commitment to Pro Bowl cornerback Joe Haden.

Haden, who has been with the Browns since they chose him with the seventh overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, has agreed to a new contract that will keep him in Cleveland through the 2019 season. A league source tells PFT that the deal includes a $14 million signing bonus, $22 million fully guaranteed at signing and another $23 million guaranteed for injury. The signing bonus, the full guarantee and the amount guaranteed for injury all surpass the deal that Richard Sherman just signed with Seattle.

It’s a big move for the Browns, and one that should bolster the optimism in Cleveland generated by the Browns’ draft, which netted cornerback Justin Gilbert and quarterback Johnny Manziel in the first round.

Haden has played well in Cleveland since Day One, and although he’ll be adjusting to a new defense with new coach Mike Pettine, the Browns apparently have no doubt that he’s one of the players they want to build their team around. He’s a talented player, and having just turned 25 last month, he should have many good years left in Cleveland.

Despite the circus that was the start of their offseason, and the recent report that star receiver Josh Gordon is facing a potential drug suspension, there are a lot of reasons to like what the Browns are doing right now. Getting Haden locked up is one more reason to think the Browns might finally be building a winner

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/13/browns-joe-haden-agree-to-new-contract-through-2019/
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:25 PM
Awesome to get Haden signed through 2019....but curious about the figures. I'll wait to get more information on this but I'll certainly scratch my head if he ends up getting more guaranteed money than Sherman.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:26 PM
Greta move by the Browns. This leave the franchise tag available long term, and settles the secondary for the next 4 or 5 years.

As Ronald might say .... "I'm lovin' it!"
Posted By: Lairdawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:26 PM
Excellent news.. he's worth every penny.....
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:27 PM
He did. 14 million up front. 22 million guaranteed no matter what.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:27 PM
Great news. Good job Farmer. Thank You Haden.

Nice to start keeping the good ones here.

Next up, Cameron, Sheard, Skrine, Rubin.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:28 PM
Awesome. One less thing to worry about going into the season.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:29 PM
Quote:

Awesome to get Haden signed through 2019....but curious about the figures. I'll wait to get more information on this but I'll certainly scratch my head if he ends up getting more guaranteed money than Sherman.

Well, it says he will get more than Sherman

Quote:

The signing bonus, the full guarantee and the amount guaranteed for injury all surpass the deal that Richard Sherman just signed with Seattle.

Why scratch your head,, He's worth every penny..
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:31 PM
sweet, another good move by this FO.

Sigining bonus or guarantees more than Sherman, not a big issue to me. I want to see how much TOTAL value it is.

Regardless I like that this FO if targeting who they want and making it happen.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:33 PM
Quote:

Greta move by the Browns. This leave the franchise tag available long term, and settles the secondary for the next 4 or 5 years.

Any chance that snagging Gilbert & Desir in the draft helped?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:34 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Well, it says he will get more than Sherman

Quote:

The signing bonus, the full guarantee and the amount guaranteed for injury all surpass the deal that Richard Sherman just signed with Seattle.

Why scratch your head,, He's worth every penny..

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact we've extended him. Where I'll scratch my head is offering him more guaranteed money than Sherman because I don't think he is as good as Sherman.

However, I know he fits Pettine's idea of a prototypical DB. So I get that. Again, I like the signing and love Joe Haden, I'll just be interested to see the numbers when a more reliable source than PFT releases it.....like spotrac or something like that.
Posted By: PDR Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:34 PM
Quote:

but I'll certainly scratch my head if he ends up getting more guaranteed money than Sherman.

Yeah, we overpaid.

But it's not like we're strapped for cash/space.

I have no problem with it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:35 PM
Quote:

Browns CB Joe Haden agreed to 5-year extension with CLEV, as @ProFootballTalk reported. It's a $68M deal, including $45M guaranteed.

Adam Schefter, Twitter
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:37 PM
Quote:

Haden's deal is worth a little less than $12M/year in new money at its max. $22m fully guaranteed

Jason La Canfora, Twitter
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:41 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Browns CB Joe Haden agreed to 5-year extension with CLEV, as @ProFootballTalk reported. It's a $68M deal, including $45M guaranteed.

Adam Schefter, Twitter

Gulp.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:41 PM
Great news! Now go get Jordan Cameron's deal done.
Posted By: PDR Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:42 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Adam Schefter, Twitter

Gulp.

If that's accurate, I have a problem with it.

Way too much.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:42 PM
The only thing that matter is this:

Quote:

However, I know he fits Pettine's idea of a prototypical DB

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:42 PM
Wait...

LaCanfora says $22M guaranteed

Shefter says $45M guaranteed
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Adam Schefter, Twitter

Gulp.

If that's accurate, I have a problem with it.

Way too much.

Why anyone would have a problem with this, I don't know.

Joe Haden is a top 5 corner in the NFL. And people are freaking out for paying the price for good talent.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:44 PM
Quote:

Wait...

They are both right. If you read the original article it says there is $23 million guaranteed if he gets injured. 23 + 22 = 45.
Posted By: BleedsOrange Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:45 PM
Quote:

Wait...

Shefter is including the additional $23M guaranteed against injury only.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:45 PM
Quote:

Wait...

Haden got a new contract through the 2019 season, which is worth $68 million and includes $45 million guaranteed, according to ESPN.

Haden got a $14 million signing bonus and $22 million fully guaranteed with an additional $23 million guaranteed for injury, according to Pro Football Talk.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/New-deal-for-Browns-corner-Joe-Haden.html
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:46 PM
Nice to see this one wrapped up so quickly and a nice show to the kids we'll pay for performance.
Posted By: Browns_Lonewolf Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:46 PM
Might s well, The Johnny Football financial gain will more than make up for the difference.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:46 PM
Does anyone know if that extra guaranteed $$$ due to injury is common?
Posted By: PDR Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:48 PM
Quote:

Joe Haden is a top 5 corner in the NFL.

If it's $22 million guaranteed, I'm OK with it.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:48 PM
Fantastic! Gettin' 'er done. Props, Ray Farmer. Props.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:48 PM
Quote:

Great news! Now go get Jordan Cameron's deal done.

That would be good too.
Posted By: BleedsOrange Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:48 PM
j/c

I'm not surprised we had to "overpay" a bit to sign Haden right now to a long-term deal. Think about it from Haden's perspective. This organization has a habit of firing it's GM/coaches every couple years and that actually accelerated last year when it fired everyone after only 1 year. Talk about instability. Regardless of the optimism that is around town right now a player would be insane to ignore that recent history so ya... it was going to cost us a premium and so we paid it.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:49 PM
We'll have to wait for someone to evaluate the actual contract language to be sure, but I would expect that the $23M Injury portion only pays out in the event of career-ending injury. As for CAP Accounting, I would expect that it also does not count as money "likely to be paid", which would mean that it should not have an affect on the cap unless he is lost to injury..
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:50 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Joe Haden is a top 5 corner in the NFL.

If it's $22 million guaranteed, I'm OK with it.

Because Richard Sherman NEVER got beat. By anyone.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:51 PM
I see a new car or 5 in the near future for Joe.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:53 PM
Not sure I understand the injury part of this deal. So if he gets injured, he gets paid for sure?

Seems like he got insurance against injury and we got him for 1-2mil/year less than market (or even more 2-3 years from now) and well, we got him through 2019. Do not forget that Haden already was making like 8-9mil/season on his rookie deal, so not much of extra cap money we had to tack on.

Not sure I understand all of this. I feared they'd let Haden go, if Desir develops or just tag him for one more season or maybe even a trade.

I like the idea of Haden-Gilbert for the next 5-6 years, but it makes the Desir-pick even more questionable now since he can't play the slot. Desir is strictly an outside depth player now, who won't contribute much in terms of snaps. He's strictly an injury backup now. A lot of luxury for a team that had no WR at the time of the pick, but oh well, guess we have good depth at CB finally, so there's the positive.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:53 PM
Knowing what Joe Haden likes, I am guessing he buys some new shoes.

Posted By: BleedsOrange Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:54 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:56 PM
I guess the way I am looking at it (at least for now) is Haden essentially took out an insurance policy with the Browns with that $23M figure?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Any chance that snagging Gilbert & Desir in the draft helped?

I think that it probably helped ......

Helped him see that we want a top defense, and are making moves to bring that about.

He has to be thrilled to know that he's not going to be lining up across from guys like Ralph Brown, or have Chris Owens covering the slot.

Our #3 CB last year wound up being McFadden. he will now battle it out for the 4th CB spot. If he can win that job, then great. If not, then Desir may well win that job. Our secondary has been upgraded dramatically, and we have strong depth. I think that had to have an influence on Haden. He can be part of one of the better secondaries in the NFL. I think that has an appeal to a player.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 04:57 PM
Quote:

Wait...

and, apparently both are correct. $22mil in guarantee + a $23mil injury guarantee on top of it (if he gets injured, it kicks in w/ insurance).
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:00 PM
Joe Haden Adds A Lamborghini Murcielago To His Lineup
15 COMMENTS · WHAT DO YOU THINK? LEAVE A COMMENT...
Looks like cornerback, Joe Haden is getting some major use out of his 50 million dollar contract with the Cleveland Browns. He's only 22 and he's only been in the NFL for a couple years but that hasn't stopped him from dropping some major cash on cars including a Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Bentley Continental, BMW X6, a Rolls Royce and now Akon's old Lamborghini Murcielago that was for sale on eBay recently.

Haden posted photos of himself with the Lamborghini (along with all his other rides) on his Instagram account just recently. He's sure living the life! Wonder what he'll pick up next.

What's your favorite one out of the whole mix?

web page
Posted By: MrDNA Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:00 PM
It's not my money

And unless I miss my guess, it's probably pretty front-loaded given the cap room we have this year. Very, very glad to have him locked up for the next half decade.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:06 PM
Quote:

It's not my money

And unless I miss my guess, it's probably pretty front-loaded given the cap room we have this year. Very, very glad to have him locked up for the next half decade.

EXACTLY!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:16 PM
Browns sign cornerback Joe Haden to five-year extension
Posted 1 hour ago

Kevin Jones
Staff Writer
@Mr_KevinJones Facebook
Pro Bowler will key success on defense for years

On Tuesday, Pro Bowl cornerback Joe Haden signed a five-year contract extension with the Cleveland Browns.
““This is a great day for both Joe Haden and the Cleveland Browns,” General Manager Ray Farmer said. “Joe’s a good, young player who’s made a commitment to our organization, and he’s somebody with whom we want to move forward in order to advance our football team. He’s a great person. He’s the right guy to both build with and build around as we attempt to become an elite football team.”
Haden, 25, is regarded as a premiere shutdown cornerback in the NFL.
In 57 career games, Haden has logged 13 interceptions and 186 tackles. Following the 2013 season, Haden was selected to his first all-pro team. And rightfully so.
The following is a chart documenting the struggles of top-flight receivers when they faced Haden and the Browns defense.

Week Wide Receiver Receptions Yards
1 Mike Wallace 1 15
5 Stevie Johnson 2 19
6 Calvin Johnson 3 26
7 Jordy Nelson 5 43
8 Dwayne Bowe 1 8
11 A.J. Green 2 7
There are weapons on offense. The object of the defense is to put obstacles in the way to stop those offensive threats. Haden is more than an obstacle. He’s proved himself to be a nail that can puncture a tire, disrupting the whole flow and movement of an offense.
“It’s important for us,” said Head Coach Mike Pettine, “to extend our core players and continue to grow with guys that represent everything we want this team to be: Tough, hard-working and passionate. Joe obviously loves his teammates, and he loves this city."
The Browns are committed to building a winning program. Their dedication to Joe Haden proves that.
“He’s a true professional,” said Farmer. “When we talk about identifying talent, building through the draft, developing solid players and retaining them, Joe Haden’s at the top of the list. I’m excited. Our team is excited.”

web page
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:22 PM
Alright! I was worried he wouldn't be back after we let Ward walk.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:29 PM
This is awesome. Big step toward building a winner.
Posted By: BpG Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:30 PM
I read 22m in guarantees. Not sure how the "Injury" money actually works, I've never seen that before.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:31 PM
Great news.

Another great move by the FO. I hope they're right about Gilbert and Manziel too (and not getting a WR in the draft - I'm not worried about the WR just yet).
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:31 PM
Quote:

Might s well, The Johnny Football financial gain will more than make up for the difference.

Unfortunatly, that's not how it works...
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:33 PM
j/c

Pretty impressive work by Farmer considering the timing of the draft chaos and all of the UDFAs that were brought in.

Very impressive.
Posted By: Olskool711 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:40 PM
I like Joe

But...

If the guarnteed money is 45 million, that's a lot of dough.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:41 PM
Quote:

j/c

Pretty impressive work by Farmer considering the timing of the draft chaos and all of the UDFAs that were brought in.

Very impressive.

LOL Didn't you hear, we overpaid

I absolutely love this signing..

The Browns are finally saying, if you perform at a high level, we'll pay you, if you don't, we'll replace you as soon as we can.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:43 PM
Quote:

I like Joe

But...

It's not. It's only 22M guaranteed.
The other 23M is an injury insurance policy.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:45 PM
Quote:

Joe Haden Adds A Lamborghini Murcielago To His Lineup
15 COMMENTS · WHAT DO YOU THINK? LEAVE A COMMENT...
Looks like cornerback, Joe Haden is getting some major use out of his 50 million dollar contract with the Cleveland Browns. He's only 22 and he's only been in the NFL for a couple years but that hasn't stopped him from dropping some major cash on cars including a Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Bentley Continental, BMW X6, a Rolls Royce and now Akon's old Lamborghini Murcielago that was for sale on eBay recently.

Haden posted photos of himself with the Lamborghini (along with all his other rides) on his Instagram account just recently. He's sure living the life! Wonder what he'll pick up next.

What's your favorite one out of the whole mix?

web page

So he was 18 when we drafted him in 2010?
Born: April 14, 1989 (age 25)..

That link is from 2 years ago. :P
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:47 PM
Age issue and mistakes aside, If I had that kinda money, there would be several exotic cars in my driveway.. No problem..
Posted By: BpG Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:50 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I like Joe

But...

that's the way I'm reading it. If he gets injured and can't play in the league he gets 45m, if he is healthy he gets 22???
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:51 PM
The Browns have a boat load of dead money coming off the books next year as well. Trading Richardson, cutting Weeden and Jackson totaled $15M in dead money this year. The Browns still have the most available cap in the league right now.

As of right now (not including Joe's new deal) according to overthecap.com, the browns have the 3rd least total team salary next year.
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:54 PM
Quote:

that's the way I'm reading it. If he gets injured and can't play in the league he gets 45m, if he is healthy he gets 22???

Guaranteed money.

The contract is worth up to $58million.

If he gets injured and can't play, he can't meet his incentives, so there's a $23mil injury clause. So I'm assuming he'd get $45mil if he becomes injured.

If I'm reading into this right?
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:55 PM
Quote:

Age issue and mistakes aside, If I had that kinda money, there would be several exotic cars in my driveway.. No problem..

Exotic cars and exotic wom...I mean, clothes.

I had a manager a few years back that was trying to convince me that if he somehow had/won $1b he would still buy a sensible, modest car because purchasing an expensive car is a bad investment. I would have a Bentley, a fully restored 1973 Dodge Challenger, a 1965 Lincoln Continental, a Tesla, a dozen motorcycles of varying ages, a huge boat, and probably a helicopter too.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like Joe

But...

Joe Haden Defensive Back 5/13/2014: Signed a six-year, $74.678 million contract. The deal contains $45 million guaranteed, including a $14 million signing bonus. 2014: $6,678,193, 2015-2019: Under Contract, 2020: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/cle/browns

all I know is he is getting over 20 mil this year.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:57 PM
Great news!!!!! takes a little of the sting out of the Gordon thing
Posted By: BpG Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 05:58 PM
I really don't care that much, he's worth it, if you watched him at the Pro Bowl, he is the exact kind of guy you want to pay the money to. He's our leader, he's smart, high character.

He does tend to be a front runner, which is annoying, but he's worth it.
Posted By: Olskool711 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 06:18 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I like Joe

But...

The steelroid stooge's blog has stated that his contract exceeds Richard Sherman's. It would have to be 45 in order to exceed Shermans. How much did Jarius Byrd get?

Hey, that's a lot of dough.

Once again, I like Joe and him signing now, which opens up us keeping someone else in the future, is a good thing. But... wow that is an awful lot of money. Versatile turned us on to a website (it is currently down or I would have linked it) Presnapreads that did a detailed breakdown of Joe's weaknesses. He still has a lot of room for improvement.

But, his stats against good receivers does speak for itself.

I keep reading that "we have all this available money to spend" well, I've learned that when you spend a lot of money eventually it runs out.
Posted By: KingSteve Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 06:26 PM
Haden > Sherman...

that's is all
Posted By: eotab Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 06:29 PM
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 06:48 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Exotic cars and exotic wom...I mean, clothes.

I had a manager a few years back that was trying to convince me that if he somehow had/won $1b he would still buy a sensible, modest car because purchasing an expensive car is a bad investment. I would have a Bentley, a fully restored 1973 Dodge Challenger, a 1965 Lincoln Continental, a Tesla, a dozen motorcycles of varying ages, a huge boat, and probably a helicopter too.

LOL Not sure I'd go quite that far. I'd have at least one of these, a Vette ZR1, Chevy SS, Camaro ZL1. Probably a Bentley Contenental GT Speed and for my wife, a Mercedes convertable (red with tan leather) and several others of her choice.

Also a Pick up Truck.. Man has to have a pick up truck. I think it's in our DNA LOL

House here, house in Florida and a fractional ownership of a private Jet so I can come and go as I please without regard to the TSA LOL

I would not even need a billion
Posted By: predator16 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 06:56 PM
What no one is say is Sherman's extension is for 4 years and Joe's is 5. So while Joe exceeds his total guaranteed amount it's over a longer term than Sherman. The per year is the true measure not total amount.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 07:01 PM
Quote:

JC

I assume that $14 mill bonus goes against 2014? Hope so, because we still have the cap room.

Glad to see we are serious about the secondary!

I thought it gets all paid to Joe now, but from a cap hit, we distribute it evenly over the life of the contract in addition to the base pay.

1. I could be completely wrong.
2. I wonder if teams could opt to use it all in one cap year if they have the cap space....like we do.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 07:04 PM
Quote:

Quote:

JC

I assume that $14 mill bonus goes against 2014? Hope so, because we still have the cap room.

I thought it gets all paid to Joe now, but from a cap hit, we distribute it evenly over the life of the contract in addition to the base pay.

1. I could be completely wrong.
2. I wonder if teams could opt to use it all in one cap year if they have the cap space....like we do.

Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi · 1h
My calculations are Joe Haden's cap number in '14 rises from $8.92m to $11.7m per terms of new deal. #browns

if grossi knows what he is talking about.
Posted By: Cincy_Dawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 08:42 PM
Absolutely Love This!!

Locks him in forever.... Locks out AJ Green forever!
(Forever in Dawg and Football Years)

Shows the other players, both on the Browns and other teams, we are willing to Pay for Play!
Excel and we will Reward!
Half-measure it and you are gone.
This will go far in getting talent to sign here.....
Posted By: slick Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 08:50 PM
wow...talk about over paying someone. Dont get me wrong i like joe allot...and i think he is avery good corner....but 68 mill!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? How does farmer plan to build and hold a team together when he is giving out contracts like this? Taylor, Sheard, JORDAN CAMERON...all these guys contract is up after this season......
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 08:51 PM
awesome give credit to farmer I would hate to play poker against him
Posted By: slick Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 08:53 PM
Quote:

Not sure I understand the injury part of this deal. So if he gets injured, he gets paid for sure?

Seems like he got insurance against injury and we got him for 1-2mil/year less than market (or even more 2-3 years from now) and well, we got him through 2019. Do not forget that Haden already was making like 8-9mil/season on his rookie deal, so not much of extra cap money we had to tack on.

Not sure I understand all of this. I feared they'd let Haden go, if Desir develops or just tag him for one more season or maybe even a trade.

I like the idea of Haden-Gilbert for the next 5-6 years, but it makes the Desir-pick even more questionable now since he can't play the slot. Desir is strictly an outside depth player now, who won't contribute much in terms of snaps. He's strictly an injury backup now. A lot of luxury for a team that had no WR at the time of the pick, but oh well, guess we have good depth at CB finally, so there's the positive.

Yeah i like this desir kid...i think it was kiper who said he had him rated as a 2nd round talent. he was passed over because of the school he comes from. i was thinking he might be hadens replacement....guess not
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 08:59 PM
Quote:

wow...talk about over paying someone. Dont get me wrong i like joe allot...and i think he is avery good corner....but 68 mill!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? How does farmer plan to build and hold a team together when he is giving out contracts like this? Taylor, Sheard, JORDAN CAMERON...all these guys contract is up after this season......

until you get a good winning team put together your going to over pay. on thing I noticed though is most these contracts like kruger's are really 2 year deals. you can cut them then with very little dead money.

----------------------

Browns TE Jordan Cameron hires new agent

By George M. Thomas Published: May 13, 2014

Browns Pro Bowl tight end Jordan Cameron has hired CAA Sports to serve as his agent.

Cameron is in the final year of his contract which pays him $645,000 and so far he and the Browns have been unable to come to an agreement on an extension.

If he and the Browns are unable to come to an agreement, he can become a free agent after next season if the team doesn’t use its franchise or transition tag on him.

The latter was used for center Alex Mack recently and would allow Cameron to negotiate with teams next spring to test the free-agent market, but the Browns would have the right to match any offer.

If the Browns use the franchise tag on him, he’d cost the team approximately $7 million dollars.

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound tight end made his first Pro Bowl last season based on season that included 80 catches for 917 yards and seven touchdowns.

He fired his former agent, Michael Hoffman of Premier Sports, last week, according to reports.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...-agent-1.487763

maybe we can work a deal now before the season?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 09:26 PM
j/c

I know it's none of my concern/worry.......but, is Joe Haden going to be one of those guys that, 2 years after retiring, is bankrupt?

Taxes, agent fees.........all the cars, the clothes, the shoes.........Hey, Joe, the checks aren't going to keep coming. I've seen people blow threw $10 million in no time. Buying stuff is great - until you lose your income but still have all the stuff and the costs associated with said stuff.

Anyway, it's not my concern, I know. But he plays for the Browns - he's a good player - I always wish the best for those guys. I don't want to see him bankrupt in a few years.

Carry on.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 09:34 PM
I am so happy about this. If everyone played with as much heart and effort as Joe, then we'd be superbowl bound on just those aspects alone.

LOVE IT! Great job Ray. Haden is a monster.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 09:49 PM
I am very excited about seeing him and Justin Gilbert for 5 years together locking up receivers and allow our rushers to get after opposing QB's.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 09:52 PM
Quote:

I am very excited about seeing him and Justin Gilbert for 5 years together locking up receivers and allow our rushers to get after opposing QB's.

+ 1

Like Gilbert said in one of his interviews about the combo of Haden and himself - "It's going to be dangerous. It's going to be real dangerous".

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 10:17 PM
Quote:

JC

Actually, the more I think about it, the less that really matters. I say that because we can carry over cap space from year to year ......

It's almost 6 of one, half dozen of another, whether we use up our cap space this year, or carry more cap space over to next year.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 10:19 PM
Quote:

Where did you come up with 68 million, what did I miss?
Posted By: PDR Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 10:20 PM
Quote:

Quote:

We extended Joe Haden's contract today.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 10:32 PM
Quote:

Quote:

5/13/2014: Signed a six-year, $74.678 million contract. The deal contains $45 million guaranteed, including a $14 million signing bonus. 2014: $6,678,193, 2015-2019: Under Contract, 2020: Free Agent.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/cle/browns

the 68 mil is just the extra 5 years and bonus. he still gets his base pay of $6,678,193 this year.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 10:35 PM
Its not only good to see Joe Sign but to see our players wanting to be here to see this thing through to the Super Bowl
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/13/14 10:50 PM
Quote:

Just look back about 2 full years ago, there was a little bit of a "labor dispute" and part of the outcome of that, means we will see teams giving contracts like these to veterans like Joe, instead of first round picks like Justin Gilbert.

point 2. For those of you who don't understand the injury / signing bonus thing, let me try to explain how I think it works, but not sure I know what I'm talking about.
Joe Haden got 22 million for a signing bonus, guaranteed. If the Browns Waive him tonight, Cut him tonight, because the Browns think he doesn't know how to play football, or doesn't understand, or has no talent, or just isn't as good as all the other players the Browns could use, then Haden gets 22 million, guaranteed.

If Joe Haden, decides to say, (forget this!) and wants to go to Australia and play miniature golf for the rest of his life and, walks out, "tonight!" saying take this job and shove it, Haden get's 22 million dollars. ( Just for signing the paper today) That's why it's called a signing bonus.

Both of those scenario's are based on him being healthy at the time.

NOW, If Joe Haden Jumps in the Ocean and a Shark bites his leg off at the Knee,... Tonight!, and he can never play football again, then Joe gets 22million, + 23 million, so 45 million dollars.

So anyone saying he gets 45 million guaranteed, is just assuming that neither of the 1st two scenarios are going to happen, before his regular salary of (Whatever it is) per year reaches more than the 45 million dollars.
And that he is going to stay in the NFL, which is probably not that big of an assumption.

point 3. Joe, don't spend all your money in one place. Make good investments, remember the NFL average is only something like 4 years. And for Damon, I think, ... A helicopter has a high cost of ownership, on that list.
I hope he makes wise decisions with his money, Remember a Million is only a thousand thousand. Don't come back in 37 years, saying " I wish somebody told me I couldn't afford to buy that."

Point final. I'm not sure I like the signing but I understand it. Is it an endorsement of Joe Haden on the Cleveland Browns? I say yes, and no.
Yes, obviously, cause it's a contract extension. But
No, because, if you put it on the same table as the two draft picks for Cb's it is just something we've seen too many times before.

Haden is easier to trade, being locked up in a contract for 6 years than for just 1 more year. The last player I remember getting a 6 year contract on the Browns was Joe Juriwishiquit, who wasn't on the team a year and a half later.

What,cha wanna bet Haden is not on the Browns roster June 1, 2018? I think the odds are in my favor on that one.

So I like the move, and I understand the move, and I really like the player, but it doesn't make me think that he is going to be one minute longer as a Cleveland Brown than he was already destined to.
Posted By: PDR Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 12:47 AM
Quote:

Joe Haden got 22 million for a signing bonus, guaranteed. If the Browns Waive him tonight, Cut him tonight, because the Browns think he doesn't know how to play football, or doesn't understand, or has no talent, or just isn't as good as all the other players the Browns could use, then Haden gets 22 million, guaranteed.

If Joe Haden, decides to say, (forget this!) and wants to go to Australia and play miniature golf for the rest of his life and, walks out, "tonight!" saying take this job and shove it, Haden get's 22 million dollars. ( Just for signing the paper today) That's why it's called a signing bonus.

NOW, If Joe Haden Jumps in the Ocean and a Shark bites his leg off at the Knee,... Tonight!, and he can never play football again, then Joe gets 22million, + 23 million, so 45 million dollars.

Surprisingly coherent for Throw Long, but nowhere near correct.

If Haden woke up tomorrow and said 'screw football, I quit', he gets only his signing bonus, but only what is guaranteed in the initial year of the signing bonus (if it's spread out).
Posted By: OverToad Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 12:53 AM
I'm always in the camp of overpaying a little in order to keep your best player, and while I've thought Haden takes too much flack, that's an awful lot of money for a guy who may not be a top-5 corner.

I'm glad he's signed, but his agent got over on the Browns.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 12:55 AM
Awesome!!
Posted By: PDR Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 12:57 AM
Quote:

I'm always in the camp of overpaying a little in order to keep your best player, and while I've thought Haden takes too much flack, that's an awful lot of money for a guy who may not be a top-5 corner.

I'm glad he's signed, but his agent got over on the Browns.

Same boat.

I'm not upset about this, but I'm not happy, either.

Haden better prove it. He's not the Top 5 guy people anoint him as. He's very good. And he could be Top 5. But right now, he's not elite.

You can put that on him, or the mediocrity that's surrounded him, but I just can't give the guy elite status based on his play at this time.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 01:08 AM
Quote:

Quote:

If Haden woke up tomorrow and said 'screw football, I quit', he gets only his signing bonus, but only what is guaranteed in the initial year of the signing bonus (if it's spread out).

If that....teams do take measures. I am sure Joe just can't retire tomorrow and walk away to $40 mil.
Posted By: PDR Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 01:37 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If that....teams do take measures. I am sure Joe just can't retire tomorrow and walk away to $40 mil.

Based what I've seen, in legal terms - which isn't my wheelhouse - if he quit tomorrow we'd owe him anywhere from $2-14 million depending on how hard the lawyers went into battle.

A moot discussion, really, as we're discussing a Throw Long hypothesis.

But without knowing all of the language intimately...his agent was brilliant in getting guaranteed money in the case of injury. Don't ever remember seeing that before, and don't think for a second it won't set precedent.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 01:42 AM
Too bad we couldn't re-sign the whole team at once using that "insurance" method.
Posted By: Cincy_Dawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 10:00 AM
Throw Long forgot Point #4
Joe's 1 year Wedding Anniversary is coming up soon.....

W/ the money he just got bumped.... There'd better be a serious present coming!
Or the injury clause might just get kicked in a little early!
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 12:27 PM
I agree. And this type of "loyalty" signing, even if considered high by some (not me), is a positive part of a culture change. This year feels different somehow. I think it is part of a post-Banner shift perhaps. Haden has proof of his value today; I admit this pendulum can swing too far the opposite direction, and certainly busts can happen and a few will be overpaid in light of injuries or performance fall off.

This group seems to have some core values. Hopefully this makes some others more inclined to come here when we come knocking.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 12:31 PM
I think it's a two parter..

1. The new CBA, you're going to be seeing vets getting paid more than you ever have.

2. When was the last time we had someone worth paying big bucks to STAY here? Joe Thomas? He's about the only once since 99, and that was 3 years ago... People just aren't used to it around here..
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 12:36 PM
Quote:

Throw Long forgot Point #4
Joe's 1 year Wedding Anniversary is coming up soon.....

W/ the money he just got bumped.... There'd better be a serious present coming!
Or the injury clause might just get kicked in a little early!

I'm pretty sure that Mrs. Haden will be sporting some new Bling soon LOL
Posted By: Draftdayz Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 12:38 PM
Quote:

I agree. And this type of "loyalty" signing, even if considered high by some (not me), is a positive part of a culture change. This year feels different somehow. I think it is part of a post-Banner shift perhaps. Haden has proof of his value today; I admit this pendulum can swing too far the opposite direction, and certainly busts can happen and a few will be overpaid in light of injuries or performance fall off.

This group seems to have some core values. Hopefully this makes some others more inclined to come here when we come knocking.

Along this same vein, I think this can also be seen as another clue that we're interested in keeping a certain type of player that fits our scheme rather than the best player out there. If a player comes along that fits our needs to the T, we'll pay to get them.

Another thought I had is that this may also be evidence that Pettine (maybe Farmer too, but especially Pettine) is going to have a longer tenure here than most people expect, regardless of his overall W/L ratio at the end of the year. We drafted for our schemes, we're paying a hefty sum to retain those that fit the roles they're in, this all (hopefully) adds up to an owner and GM that will be more patient and allow this group of coaches to settle in for a time.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 02:50 PM
Well unless it's the owner making the picks, don't most FO's draft and sign players who fit their scheme?

To me that's pretty much the status quo. That's why when new coaching staffs and FO's take over, there's such a big turnover on NFL rosters. The last group got players to fit their schemes so now the new guys have to get guys to fit their schemes.

I don't really see anything unusual about that.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 06:00 PM
Quote:

Well unless it's the owner making the picks, don't most FO's draft and sign players who fit their scheme?

To me that's pretty much the status quo. That's why when new coaching staffs and FO's take over, there's such a big turnover on NFL rosters. The last group got players to fit their schemes so now the new guys have to get guys to fit their schemes.

I don't really see anything unusual about that.

Conspiracy theorist like to say that H&H drafted Haden and Ward when we had Mangini because they are two guys that could play regardless of what defense we ran.. Mangini with the 3-4, and then us switching to the 4-3 the following year...
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 06:12 PM
Quote:

OOOHHHHHH that makes a lot more sense... I just kept thinking, didn't Franklin Roosevelt sign the new deal like 70 years ago....
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 06:15 PM
Quote:

Quote:

OOOHHHHHH that makes a lot more sense... I just kept thinking, didn't Franklin Roosevelt sign the new deal like 70 years ago....

U.S. History joke!

I legitimately chuckled at that one.

Hopefully Haden has a Fourteen Point plan for success.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/14/14 06:24 PM
I'm hoping it's to hold the other team to 14 points or less...
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/15/14 01:55 PM
Joe Haden, Justin Gilbert best young CB duo in NFL

By Bryan Fischer
College Football 24/7 writer
May 14, 2014 at 08:55 p.m

Mike Pettine has it pretty good in Cleveland for a first-time head coach. He has a quarterback of the future in Johnny Manziel, thanks to the 2014 NFL Draft, and should field one of the best starting lineups in the division after a productive offseason.

Plus, in a pass happy league he won't have to worry about the cornerback position for quite some time. The Browns recently locked up Joe Haden to a blockbuster extension and the team added one of the best in the draft with ninth overall pick Justin Gilbert.

That was enough to make former team scout and current NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah a little jealous of the situation, saying Wednesday on "Path to the Draft" that the combo of Gilbert and Haden gives Cleveland one of the best corner tandems in the league.

"If we're going to stress young pairs, I don't know who is more athletic than these two," Jeremiah said. "When they get the ball in their hands, they are going to do something with it. I think they're both playmakers, and Mike Pettine's defense has two pretty good building blocks."

We don't exactly know what Gilbert can do in the NFL, but his ability to shut down Big 12 receivers over the years certainly gives him a great resume entering the league. Haden should benefit from a talented running mate in the coming years, too, since teams won't just be able to avoid him.

While there are young cornerback tandems in the NFL -- rookie Bradley Roby and Aqib Talib in Denver, Jimmy Smith and Lardarius Webb in Baltimore spring to mind -- it is tough to say that anybody has quite the blend of speed and coverage skills as the pair in Cleveland does.

"They need to be talented, because in this league, especially in the AFC, if you want to get to a Super Bowl with the Cleveland Browns ... you're going to have to go through Peyton Manning and company," Jeremiah said. "To get to that ultimate prize, having two talented corners is a good way to build your defense."

New general manager Ray Farmer and Pettine seem to agree.

As for whether the Haden-Gilbert duo is enough to make Cleveland a Super Bowl contender, we'll just have to see about that down the road.
Posted By: Arps Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/15/14 02:32 PM
I am glad they locked up Joe for the future. Not only is he a great player but he seems to be a good ambassador for the team as well.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/15/14 09:59 PM
Quote:

Joe Haden, Justin Gilbert best young CB duo in NFL

By Bryan Fischer
College Football 24/7 writer
May 14, 2014 at 08:55 p.m

Mike Pettine has it pretty good in Cleveland for a first-time head coach. He has a quarterback of the future in Johnny Manziel, thanks to the 2014 NFL Draft, and should field one of the best starting lineups in the division after a productive offseason.

Plus, in a pass happy league he won't have to worry about the cornerback position for quite some time. The Browns recently locked up Joe Haden to a blockbuster extension and the team added one of the best in the draft with ninth overall pick Justin Gilbert.

That was enough to make former team scout and current NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah a little jealous of the situation, saying Wednesday on "Path to the Draft" that the combo of Gilbert and Haden gives Cleveland one of the best corner tandems in the league.

"If we're going to stress young pairs, I don't know who is more athletic than these two," Jeremiah said. "When they get the ball in their hands, they are going to do something with it. I think they're both playmakers, and Mike Pettine's defense has two pretty good building blocks."

We don't exactly know what Gilbert can do in the NFL, but his ability to shut down Big 12 receivers over the years certainly gives him a great resume entering the league. Haden should benefit from a talented running mate in the coming years, too, since teams won't just be able to avoid him.

While there are young cornerback tandems in the NFL -- rookie Bradley Roby and Aqib Talib in Denver, Jimmy Smith and Lardarius Webb in Baltimore spring to mind -- it is tough to say that anybody has quite the blend of speed and coverage skills as the pair in Cleveland does.

"They need to be talented, because in this league, especially in the AFC, if you want to get to a Super Bowl with the Cleveland Browns ... you're going to have to go through Peyton Manning and company," Jeremiah said. "To get to that ultimate prize, having two talented corners is a good way to build your defense."

New general manager Ray Farmer and Pettine seem to agree.

As for whether the Haden-Gilbert duo is enough to make Cleveland a Super Bowl contender, we'll just have to see about that down the road.

Typical modern proofreading. Gilbert was taken with the 8th selection.

Other than that, I mostly agree. I like the duo of Haden & Gilbert with Desir (who I think could be as good as anyone).
Posted By: Riddler Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 05/16/14 09:36 AM
no pressure on Gilbert at all. He's number 2 to Haden, completely overshadowed by Manziel and can go about learning his trade with quite a low weight of expectation on his shoulders not becoming of the 9th overall pick. Here's hoping for Dixon and Minnie 2.0!
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 06/10/14 10:28 PM
Joe Haden: Breaking Down the High-Priced Cornerback's 2013 Season

The Cleveland Browns gave Joe Haden a $68 million contract extension last week.

Haden is widely considered to be one of the most talented defensive backs in the NFL, and he is still just 25 years of age. During his first four seasons in the NFL, Haden has accumulated 13 interceptions and 67 pass deflections in 48 starts.

As the Seattle Seahawks have proven, finding high quality starters in the secondary is vitally important for building a dominant defense. New head coach Mike Pettine is used to working with high quality starters in his secondary, so it's no surprise that the Browns felt the urge to lock down Haden for the future despite adding multiple cornerback pieces in the draft also.

The Browns front office invested a huge sum in Haden before Pettine could even get an opportunity to coach him. It's unclear whether that was Pettine's choice or not, while it's also unclear if that was a wise investment or not.

Haden has a previous suspension on his record, something that the Browns will have been wary of because of Josh Gordon. However, more important than the threat of a suspension is the question about just how good Haden is.

Even though he is widely considered to be a shutdown cornerback who can compete with Richard Sherman and Darrelle Revis, there is little in-depth analysis available to prove that theory.

With that in mind, I decided to use the Pre-Snap Reads cornerback analysis method to understand exactly what the Browns have in their now high-priced cornerback.

-----------

Joe Haden is an adequate starting cornerback who could excel in a scheme that allows him to play more zone coverage or as part of more Cover 2 looks. His ball skills are exceptional and his physical talent is easy to become infatuated with.

At 25 years of age, Haden needs to be better than what he currently is.

The consistency in his footwork and overall technique in man coverage simply isn't good enough. Not only is he not a shutdown cornerback, but he is also not even an above average cornerback in man coverage. His 62.8 percent success rate for the 2013 season is significantly worse than his 73.6 percent success rate for the 2012 season.

Haden's name is often mentioned alongside Darrelle Revis and Richard Sherman in terms of him being a shutdown cornerback, but his performances don't merit that recognition. Under the same criteria for last season, Revis had a success rate of 81.9 percent, while Sherman had a success rate of 79 percent.

Even in comparison to Alterraun Verner (79.8 percent), Sam Shields (68 percent) and Patrick Peterson (69.6 percent), Haden's raw numbers are very unimpressive.

His tape helps his case because he is a very willing tackler and a good zone defender, but the Browns have made a catastrophic mistake by giving him such a huge contract extension. He will likely be thrown at a lot more next season too after the Browns investments at the cornerback position in the draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/20687...cks-2013-season

long with breakdown of every game last year. this is only the start and finish of the article.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 06/11/14 12:00 AM
to much wind in that article. Bottom line, haden can cover the big physical receiver better than any corner in the game. He however, lacks the quick twitch in his hips to cover the smaller speed receiver. He is a liability in this area.
Posted By: predator16 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 06/11/14 12:09 AM
Quote:

to much wind in that article. Bottom line, haden can cover the big physical receiver better than any corner in the game. He however, lacks the quick twitch in his hips to cover the smaller speed receiver. He is a liability in this area.

+1 The good thing is as WRs trend bigger we will be ok. There's a small window of hips and understanding when it comes to covering a shifty route runner. I think Skrine and Haden are close to entering that time. Old enough to gamble intelligently but still athletic enough to stay with the WR.

Though I would say it's quickness that Joe struggles against more than speed but thats nitpicking
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 06/11/14 12:11 AM
I claim BS ... numbers blah, blah blah, the only numbers I look at are receptions and yards...

He consistently shut down the best WR on every team we faced,
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Joe Haden signs new deal. - 06/14/14 01:20 AM
'You Won't Believe What Joe Haden Plans on Doing to Receivers in 2014'

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wont-believe-joe-haden-plans-153012647.html

By Jordan Zirm
9 hours ago

Joe Haden isn’t just talking. He’s raving.

A mile-wide grin lights up his face as he thrusts his right fist into the open palm of his left hand with excitement. In the equipment room at the Cleveland Browns' headquarters in Berea, Ohio, the All-Pro cornerback, dressed in his post-practice garb of a Nike zip-up, black shorts stretching past his knees and Air Jordan sandals, has trouble containing his love for the team’s upgraded secondary.

“[Gilbert,] Desir, Trufant, Skrine,” he says, rattling off the last names of his defensive backfield brethren. “They can all play. We’ve really got no holes.”

It’s early June, and the Browns are wrapping up Organized Team Activities (OTAs), the second-to-last week of work before they break until training camp opens in late July. Since the team’s return to the league in 1999, early summer has been the best time of year for both Browns fans and players—the team hasn’t lost a game yet, its coach hasn’t been fired and its quarterback situation (a recurring source of despair) is looking up for the first time in years.

But it’s the team’s moves in the secondary that has Haden so excited. The Browns replaced safety T.J. Ward, who left via free agency, with Donte Whitner, who spent the last few years competing for championships with the 49ers. They drafted Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert with the eighth overall pick in May's NFL Draft, then nabbed another, Pierre Desir, in the third round. Include returning vet Buster Skrine and off-season signee Isaiah Trufant, and you have a crew that’s calling itself the “Lock Down on the Lake,” referring to Lake Erie, just north of their home turf at First Energy Stadium.

At just 25 years old, Haden is the leader of the bunch. He’s been in Cleveland for all five years of his pro career, and he's coming off his first Pro Bowl appearance, having earned a coveted reputation as a “shutdown corner,” an honor bestowed only upon top-tier defenders like Seattle’s Richard Sherman and Arizona’s Patrick Peterson, who routinely cover their opponent’s best wide receiver. According to Pro Football Focus, Haden covered the opposing team’s No. 1 pass catcher on 65 percent of plays in 2013, more than both Peterson (55 percent) and Sherman (27 percent). Haden didn’t allow a single receiver to gain 100 yards on him last season, and he gave up just six touchdowns all year while covering guys like Calvin Johnson, Jordy Nelson, Antonio Brown and A.J. Green (twice).

But despite his individual greatness, Haden does not yet have a playoff appearance on his résumé. He’s striving to make 2014 the year the Browns finally get near the top of the endless staircase they’ve been climbing in the hopes of returning to relevance. To help his team get there, Haden has set a lofty goal: limit every opposing receiver he faces to 55 yards or less per game.

“That’s my personal goal. No matter who it is, whoever I follow, I keep under 55 yards.”

“That’s my personal goal. No matter who it is, whoever I follow, I keep under 55 yards,” he said.

To accomplish this ambitious goal, Haden has changed his off-the-field regimen. As a rookie, the defensive back from the University of Florida showed up daily at the facility, played football and went home. No stretching, no cold tubs, no nothing. But he’s older now and a veteran of the game, so that’s all changed.

“I was used to going out there and playing football and going home,” Haden said. “Now I stretch, get a massage every week, and get in the hot tub and cold tubs. I do a lot of things, like taking care of my legs, that I didn’t do as a rookie. Your job is your body.”

Haden's other focus this season is to improve his footwork, allowing him to shadow even the quickest, most elusive receivers, like Antonio Brown of the Pittsburgh Steelers, whom the Browns will face in Week 1 (and Week 6), or T.Y. Hilton of the Indianapolis Colts, a Week 14 foe. He’s so committed that he strolls around his home moving his feet as he would during practice.

“I do a lot of footwork drills," Haden said. "Even walking around the house, I take two steps back and two forward, practicing making sure I put my whole foot in the ground during my breaks.”

A drill Haden favors, one that teaches him to explode out of his break, is the “W-Drill.”

Joe Haden's W-Drill

Set up five cones in the shape of a W, with the cones 5 yards apart.
Start at the first cone with your back turned to the second.
Backpedal to Cone 2.
Explode at a 45-degree angle to Cone 3.
Repeat the move from Cone 4 to Cone 5.
The goal of the drill is to increase agility and reaction time for a defensive back coming out of his break.
Learn the W-Drill by watching Devin and Jason McCourty perform it.
“You don’t ever waste a step,” Haden said. “Once you put that clamp foot down, the next step is going to where you need to go.”

Haden’s jubilance dissipates as the day winds down. With OTAs done for the day, many players have gone home, and the locker room is silent. For Haden, "silence" is the perfect word for what he hopes to do to receivers this year to help the Browns finally make some noise in the playoffs.

This article originally appeared on STACK.com: You Won't Believe What Joe Haden Plans on Doing to Receivers in 2014

(end)
© DawgTalkers.net