DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:02 PM
link

#Browns announce they signed WR Miles Austin.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:03 PM
Hey now... we're getting somewhere
Posted By: TopDawg16 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:04 PM
I like it.

Makes me wonder what's about to go down with Gordon, though...
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:05 PM
Quote:

link

#Browns announce they signed WR Miles Austin.

Awesome! This guys has shown that he can be the best WR in the league and is a guy I hoped we would sign as soon as the draft ended. I know he is coming off of a nagging hamstring injury, but a hamstring injury is not something that he can not overcome.

You also have to take into account that his lack of production was hampered due to the presence of Dex Bryant as their #1.

I think he can come in right away and put up very capable numbers and be a very big presence here!

Good job Ray Farmer!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:05 PM
Quote:

I like it.

I think they expect him to be gone..
Posted By: brownsfansince79 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:06 PM
Quote:

I like it.

Hopefully this is just insurance in case Gordon can't play. I'm not sure Austin is a true # 1 WR, but he certainly isn't bad.

If Gordon is able to play, Austin has a lot of value. If Gordon can't play, at least we have a WR who isn't awful.

Seems pretty bad that a step up for our WR corps is "not awful."
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:06 PM
Like this signing a lot for a band aid stop gap. I still want Santonio Holmes because he has experience as a #1 WR.
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:07 PM
Browns Sign Miles Auston

The Cleveland Browns have signed former Dallas Cowboys veteran wide receiver Miles Austin, the team announced.

Austin is a two-time Pro Bowl selection who was cut in March and designated by Dallas as a post-June 1 release.

Austin struggled with hamstring injuries last season and caught just 24 passes for 244 yards and no touchdowns.

He caught 66 passes for 943 yards and six touchdowns in 2012.

For his career, the former Monmouth (N.J.) standout has 301 receptions for 4,481 yards and 34 touchdowns.

There was a report that the Browns were signing wide receiver Earl Bennett, but the Browns have made a different announcement and have signed Austin.

Pro Bowl wide receiver Josh Gordon is facing a potential NFL suspension for reportedy failing another drug test.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:10 PM
Burleson, Bennett, Austin, Hawkins is a lineup with some promise. It might also be a complete failure since Burleson and Austin both have injury histories and age.

Obviously true #1 WRs are hard to find so without Gordon we simply will lack that position. One of the best WRs in the league isn't easy to replace
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:12 PM
I read that Holmes had the most severe type of LisFranc foot injury and that he might be done as a player. I thought I posted a link somewhere here on DT - will try to find.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:16 PM
Quote:

Burleson, Bennett, Austin, Hawkins is a lineup with some promise. It might also be a complete failure since Burleson and Austin both have injury histories and age.

Obviously true #1 WRs are hard to find so without Gordon we simply will lack that position. One of the best WRs in the league isn't easy to replace

I like having veteran WRs. They will learn the playbook and help Manziel out.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:16 PM
Quote:

There was a report that the Browns were signing wide receiver Earl Bennett, but the Browns have made a different announcement and have signed Austin.

So is Bennett out before he was even in?
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:16 PM
Browns Agree to Terms With Miles Austin

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to terms wide receiver Miles Austin.
The longtime Dallas Cowboy led the NFC in receiving in 2009 with 1,320-yards and is a two-time Pro Bowler. Austin boasts 34 career touchdowns in eight career seasons.
We speculated the Browns interest in Austin earlier this week and wrote the following.
How many times in sports do we see someone who we think is on the decline, only to see a new city and jersey do wonders for the player?
Austin became a victim of not getting the football enough in the Dez Bryant/Jason Witten-centered offense. His stats suffered. His mindset wandered. He might not be the Pro Bowler he was in 2009, but his career isn’t over, either.
Austin, 29, has plenty left to offer and could become a hefty asset to Cleveland’s new-look offense. He joins Nate Burleson as the other new veteran to join the Browns’ wide receiving corps.
The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Monmouth alum had 49 catches for 244-yards in 2013.
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:20 PM
Quote:

Quote:

So is Bennett out before he was even in?

Yeah, it appears as though that's the case.

Miles Austin is a much better option than Bennett. This guy has a proven track record and think he makes an excellent addition to our WR Corps. He is a straight edge guy with a hard line approach to the game. Multiple Pro Bowls. Only 29. He has a lot of football left in him, and he will be the feature receiver in our offense IMO.

I also believe that Gordon won't be out for the entire year. Imagine pairing him up w/ Gordon on the ends. Could be a remarkable tandem to go along w/ a punishing run game.

We are definitely in the business of winning immediately.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...ost-severe-kind
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:25 PM
Good signing. He and Bennett give the Browns a couple of experienced veterans to go along with a lot of youth at the position. (at least until Burleson comes back from injury)

Austin was extremely effective for 2 season back in 2009 and 2010 .... looking like a #1. He then had some injuries, but did have a solid year in 2012, with 943 yards and 6 TD. As the roster is currently constructed, he is probably the closest thing to a #1 receiver we have if Gordon is out.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:43 PM
Whatever happened to this guy? Was it just the injuries? He was a really solid WR for a few years...

You're not just going to find a #1 in the scrap heap unless it's some undrafted kid nobody knows about, so this may be our best option right now.. I also don't buy the whole Andre Johnson being traded.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:45 PM
Quote:

I like it.

I believe they expect he will be gone for the year but even if they come out tomorrow and announce the failed test was all a mistake, this is still a good signing.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:48 PM
j/c

He's only 29... and when he's healthy he's a very good receiver. I like this pick up a lot. Just have to hope we catch lighting and his injuries are behind him.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:52 PM
Quote:

Good signing. He and Bennett give the Browns a couple of experienced veterans to go along with a lot of youth at the position.

Don't think we signed Bennett after all. Do like this signing though.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 07:58 PM
This is a good signing. Between the receivers we already have, the udfa, and now the signing of Austin I think we'll be o.k. I don't think we need to make a trade. Let's hold onto our draft picks and see what happens with JG.

We can keep scouring the waiver wire from now right through all the camp cuts and see what's out there.JMHO.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:23 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Good signing. He and Bennett give the Browns a couple of experienced veterans to go along with a lot of youth at the position.

He's signed, There is a link on the Bennett thread.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:25 PM
The best part about this is that the front office is addressing a known problem instead of ignoring it.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:28 PM
I have to wonder if they didn't want veteran WRs to go with a rookie QB, especially in the WCO,which is a precision based offense, where receivers need to be where and when precisely.
Posted By: Fox&Hound7 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:34 PM
Yep. This was the guy I've been suggesting for a while now. When he's healthy, Austin is a productive WR. I like this move since we now have a competent WR in our corps regardless of what happens to Gordon.

Welcome to Cleveland, Miles Austin!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:35 PM
For the most part all we had was veteran wide receivers. Gordon would have the youngest of the main guys and he was going into his third season.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:36 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yup he's signed..

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...a9-cb578b6e6cda

also some other guy I never heard of is signed..
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:40 PM
Quote:

The best part about this is that the front office is addressing a known problem instead of ignoring it.

The best part of getting a huge prospect like JM is, many big name NFL FA's will actually consider signing on with the Brown's now. None of them would have given us the time of day a month ago.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:49 PM
good signing while I will be in wait & see mode. Still, his numbers seem solid. Good add for the rooks, too.

Just win, baby.

Shanny might want to throw it around some, it seems.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:51 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, talk about conflicting reports.

Browns sign Earl Bennett and Elhadji Ndiaye

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns on Thursday signed veteran WR Earl Bennett and undrafted free agent DL Elhadji Ndiaye. General Manager Ray Farmer made the announcement.

Bennett, a 5-11, 209-pound veteran, enters his seventh NFL season out of Vanderbilt. Originally a third-round (70th overall) draft pick by Chicago, Bennett has appeared in 78 games with 29 starts all with the Bears. He has totaled 185 receptions for 2,277 yards with 12 touchdowns. In 2013, he recorded 32 receptions for 243 yards with four touchdowns in 15 games.

He finished his collegiate career as the SEC’s all-time leader in receptions with 236. He logged 2,852 receiving yards with 20 touchdowns and set school records for receiving yards in a game (223), touchdown receptions in a game (five) and games with 10 or more receptions (nine). A native of Birmingham, Ala., Bennett graduated from West End High School.

Ndiaye, pronounced ee-LIE-juh JIE (rhymes with tie), joins a group of 11 undrafted free agents signed by the Browns Monday.

Born in Senegal, the 6-4, 265-pound Ndiaye attended Nebraska-Kearney, where he led the team with six sacks in 2013. He attended New Utrecht High School in Brooklyn and transferred to Nebraska-Kearney after playing basketball at Grossmont (Calif.) College. His younger brother, Dame, is a defensive lineman at Portland State.

Link
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:55 PM
I love these veteran signings. If, and I do mean if, we are going to a zone block, have a moving pocket, a run heavy offence (sorry if my terminology is off... put it down to me being Australian :P), then I think its very important to have these veterans, that while have slowed down, can run tight routes, and also use their experience to take advantage of gaps in zone coverage.

Based on what I saw on Shanahans offence with Washington, I think we just might be ok with signing veterans.

Then again I could be totally wrong about the sort of offence I am expecting next year.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 08:59 PM
Quote:

then I think its very important to have these veterans, that while have slowed down, can run tight routes, and also use their experience to take advantage of gaps in zone coverage

If we are going to have questionable WRs, I'd rather have questionable veterans than questionable young guys..

I know young guys have more upside but JM or Hoyer, for that matter, need somebody they can rely on right now, not somebody who might be better 3 or 4 years from now.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:01 PM
These are win now moves ... JMHO
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:02 PM
Quote:

And as I said above, these are guys that can provide some stability to young and inexperienced QBs...
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:03 PM
j/c

Starting to love this FO. Finally moves that make sense. I still wish they had gone WR in round 3 instead of Kirksey but the pickings were getting a bit thin.

Both guys are decent receivers. Not Gordon good but if we have decent talent across the board, we know have guys that can make plays if they are there.

It doesn't make up for Gordon but it also will keep teams from stacking the box on us.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:04 PM
QB: Hoyer, Manziel, Shaw
RB: Tate, West, Lewis, Crowell
FB: Pressley
WR: Austin, Burleson, Bennett, Hawkins, Little, Benjamin, Snead (+Ch. Jones +Shaw +C. Johnson)
TE: Cameron, Dray
LT: Thomas
LG: Bitonio/Greco
C: Mack
RG: Pinkston/Gilkey
RT: Schwartz

LE: D. Bryant, B. Winn
NT: Taylor, Kitchen
RE: Rubin, Hughes, Bryant
LOLB: Kruger, Groves
SILB: Dansby, Carder
WILB: Robinson, Kirksey
ROLB: Sheard, Mingo
CB: Haden
CB: Gilbert
Nickle: Skrine
FS: Gipson
SS: Whitner

Man, that's a pretty solid lineup all of a sudden. Pulling Bennett and Austin out of their hats was a big move to improve this team.

Kudos.

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:05 PM
Quote:

Quote:

And as I said above, these are guys that can provide some stability to young and inexperienced QBs...

Amen
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:14 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I like it.

Hopefully this is just insurance in case Gordon can't play. I'm not sure Austin is a true # 1 WR, but he certainly isn't bad.

If Gordon is able to play, Austin has a lot of value. If Gordon can't play, at least we have a WR who isn't awful.

Milues Austin came out of nowhere a few years ago - as an undrafted free agent - and led the Cowboys in receiving for multiple years. Went to multiple pro bowls, and he is only 29 years old. He still has a lot left in the tank.

He had an injury ridden season last year due to lingering hamstring issues and a drop in production in conjunction with the emergence of Dez Bryant, one of the most physically gifted and productive WR's in the game today led to Austin's downfall in Dallas, but even still, I read many reports that Dallas wanted him to resign with them BADLY and that they would have never let him get away if it weren't for his contract. They wanted him to come back signing a cheaper deal. Wisely, he chose to become the potential #1 in Cleveland.

And in regards to his hamstring issues last year, that is an injury that a WR can overcome! Our strength coach will assure that this is the case.

I expect Miles Austin to be our Starting 'X' receiver this year and I think he can put up more than capable numbers until Josh Gordan comes back from his suspension

If/When that happens, Austin and Gordon will make for an amazing 1-2 punch (barring injury) with Hawkins and anyone else in the slot with the other receivers getting game time in different packages.

This move has me almost just as excited as I was the night after we drafted Johhny Football. We have some decent depth in the passing Game now w/ Austin, Cameron, Hawkins, Burleson, Little, Benjamin, and a couple of others being it a mix of UDFA's, potential pick ups from cuts that other teams make during training camp, and maybe another move by 'Trader Ray'.

Our Running Game could go from worst to first with Tate, West, Crowell, and our Top 5 offensive line w/ the addition of Joel Bitonio in the draft and Paul McQUistan in FA. Our team is beggening to take shape folks and really like what I see!

I think Our O-Line WIll Look Like this:

Thomas (LT) - McQuistan (LG) - Mack (C) - Bitonio (RG) - Schwartz (RT)

Now before you immediately state that Schwartz is a weak spot, he had a very good rookie year in the WCO (which Shanahan runs) and was not as bad as everyone made him out to be last year. Don't forget, besides Hoyer, he had to block for QB's that held onto the ball way too long and playing Tackle for multiple QB's and not being able to just to one QB's tendencies can make a pro bowl tackle look like crap. Sure, he got beat by speed rushers, but he had no help in Lavauo as well who was clueless out there IMO. Good Luck Washington .

I can finally forget about the gaping hole at WR and focus more on how we develop our young UDFA's at the position and also how Johnny Manziel clicks with out WR Corps in camp! Farmer!
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:16 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Amen

Austin is one of the best WR's to mentor a young group. He's always been a stand up guy. One of the best character guys you will find (from what I've read). Also known as being an excellent route runner.

Terrance Williams (Cowboys WR) stated that Miles Austin "kept my mind straight when I wasn't thinking well...He showed me how to (be a more creative route-runner)."

This was an awesome pickup as opposed to Smoketonio Holmes which I would have been very skeptical about. WTG Ray Farmer! I'm really stoked right now...not so much because I think Miles will be an all-pro, but because I know he can be a more than productive receiver again, and maybe even more importantly, add to what could be the best pair of mentors this young WR corps needs in he and Nate Burleson.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:38 PM
Quote:

I like it.

Really? I think we all know exactly what's going to go down with Gordon. If you're still wondering, then you're extremely naïve or simply living on another planet.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:40 PM
Cowboys fans can't be very happy with us right now

But hey they took Weeden away from us, those jerks.

Miles Austin was one of the first guys to really tactically improve his combine stats. He was able to drop his 40 time from 4.67 to 4.47 with practice.

I assume the guy has the same mindset going into the NFL and playing in the NFL. Intelligent and trying to perfect himself despite limitations.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:41 PM
Quote:

Hopefully it's a sign that they don't care about what happens to Gordon professionally. At some point, they have to come to the realization that Gordon may never play again or if he does, that he's one bad decision away from being permanently banned from the NFL.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:45 PM
Miles Austin is damaged goods.

We are screwed at receiver this year. Not much we can do right now, except get the best WR's not already on another team.

We can address the position (a #1 WR) in next year's draft's first round.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:47 PM
Quote:

We are screwed at receiver this year. Not much we can do right now, except get the best WR's not already on another team.

The Browns aren't screwed at WR at all. In my view, the draft position for WRs is highly overrated.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:49 PM
With Bennet and now Austiin, pretty clear Gordon is for sure, without doubt... going to get suspended for some period of time. I was "hoping" that no signing/drafting WR meant the Browns knew the report was false, but ehhh... we as Brown fans never receive such positive luck...

Me personally, I don't care too much for either vet WR we just signed. Hopefully they can at least be serviceable and able to teach some things. Our WR core went from hero to zero with no Flash IMO
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:49 PM
Quote:

Quote:

The Browns aren't screwed at WR at all. In my view, the draft position for WRs is highly overrated.

We still need a WR that can scare a defense. Gordon did that.
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:53 PM
how is he damaged goods?

He did have a nagging hamstring... that is healed with rest
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:54 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He did? Got proof of that statement?

Gordon is a talented player but no team was shaking in their shoes when facing the Browns with Brandon Weeden or Jason Campbell at the QB spot and Willis McGahee as the starting RB.

I hate doing it, but you really need to stop meeting up with Davone Bess and going over to Josh Gordon's place.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 09:55 PM
Quote:

how is he damaged goods?

He did have a nagging hamstring... that is healed with rest

A nagging hamstring. Okay. At least he's not getting high and facing a suspension.
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:13 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gordon is a talented player but no team was shaking in their shoes when facing the Browns with Brandon Weeden or Jason Campbell at the QB spot and Willis McGahee as the starting RB.

I hate doing it, but you really need to stop meeting up with Davone Bess and going over to Josh Gordon's place.

The bottom line is that there is no replacing Josh Gordon's production of last year; and speaking of last year, let's not forget that we threw the ball 50 times a game. In this year balanced attack, its likely that Gordon's numbers would have evened out a bit. Not to a point where he wasn't a #1 WR, but not to the point of leading the league in receving. We threw the ball A LOT last year, we had to throw the ball A LOT last year w/o a running game. We will not be throwing the ball nearly as much this year.

Secondly, there is no replacing Josh Gordon's numbers from last year. Firstly, because of the point I made above, but secondly, because there are very few WR's w/ Gordon's talent. In 2010 and 2011 (before the Cowboys let Miles Austin play which led him to earning the #1 spot - and before they made Dez Bryant/Jason Witten their primary targets) Miles Austin was putting up some of the best numbers in the NFL leading to two consecutivne 1,000+ seasons. He is only 29 years w/ PLENTY left in the tank.

A hamstring injury is an afterthought. His hamstring is fine now. Never once did I read about a player having a 'career ending hamstring injury'.

Austin's should do just fine if he is managed well by our strength's & conditioning's coach.

Sometimes its unfortunate that Browns fans have nothing better to do than look on the negative side of things. This might not be a blockbuster signing by NFL's standards, but for the Cleveland Browns it is IMO. We are lucky to have him. Very lucky to have him. Not just for his proven track record on the field, but for his eagerness to bring the most out of, and mentor our rookies and teach them how to run the best routes possible and to be a pro's pro.

How you can't like this signing is beyond me.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:14 PM
Report, Browns sign Miles Austin. No Way! I've heard of Miles Austin, he's pretty good. There has to be a catch.
Sounds too good to be true.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:16 PM
Quote:

WR: Austin, Burleson, Bennett, Hawkins, Little, Benjamin, Snead (+Ch. Jones +Shaw +C. Johnson)

Man, that's a pretty solid lineup all of a sudden. Pulling Bennett and Austin out of their hats was a big move to improve this team.

Kudos.

I agree. You don't replace a guy like Gordon, but we have just added a couple of decent options who can make the plays, and that is all you need.

Whoever is throwing the ball is going to have guys who can make plays. I wouldn't say we are weak at WR by any means.

Elhadji Ndiaye.....I was reading up on that guy....a beast in the making? We might have something here.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:35 PM
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I'm going to make two predictions after learning that we signed Austin:

1. Gordon will be suspended at least 6 games.
2. Nate Burleson will not make this team.

I don't know how much Austin has left in the tank (or if he'll even hold up), but I think these moves are in response to BOTH Gordon and Burleson's situations.

I don't see Burelson not making the team. What makes you think that?

It's just a hunch more than anything; nothing really tangible to back it up. During the previous press conference I got the sense that Farmer/Pett were frustrated and somewhat angry about Burleson (and I realize some of their anger stemmed from the media's stupid questions).

I think the following players will make the roster:

1. Austin
2. Little
3. Bennett
4. Benji
5. Hawkins

So with one more spot (maybe) that would be Burleson or Charles Johnson (who I think will show some promise for the FO)
Posted By: urbrowns Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:36 PM
Nice pickup. He's certainly had his injury problems, but when healthy he is talented and productive.

The potential loss of Gordon is terrible, but no one person is going to replace him or his production. Accumulating multiple options is the smart thing to do, and I think Farmer is doing a good job.

Between Miles Austin, Earl Bennett, Nate Burleson, Andrew Hawkins, Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Charles Johnson, and the undrafted guys, hopefully a productive receiving corp can be assembled. It certainly seems like speed/quickness is valued over size, based on the guys signed either as free agents or undrafted guys.

Charles Johnson might be the wildcard of the group. He has good size at 6'2" and 215 pounds, and excellent athleticism having run a 4.39 forty, had a 39 1/2" vertical jump, and an 11'1" broad jump at the combine. He is coming off an ACL injury and was a 7th round pick out of Grand Valley State by the Packers, so the expectations should be low, but he has a size/speed combination that can't be taught. So worth monitoring.
Posted By: BleedsOrange Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:42 PM
J/C

Love the Austin signing! That guy runs impressive routes. Injury risks are a concern but IF he can stay on the field he'll be a servicable #1 WR. I've been a big fan of his so very happy... hope he can stay on the field.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:43 PM
Obviously true #1 WRs are hard to find so without Gordon we simply will lack that position.

I never saw a play book with that position. I always thought it was simply WR1 n WR2 or WR X n WR Z. There simply is no such position to lack or covet. Go to guy...I think Cameron can be the Go To guy and we will see if anyone else will step up...like Hawkins or Austin.

Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:51 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Oh, I'm sure that the Training Staff will do the best they can to keep Austin healthy.

I am sure they will too. I just have this thing about injuries. Some are just bad breaks....blowing out a knee as an example. Others are chronic.....pulled muscles, concussions...some guys seem to be prone to those, and how do you prevent it?

Make no mistake, I like the addition of Austin. Probably the best available move we could make that doesn't involve trading for a player...and who knows, maybe we'll do that as well. Everything I am seeing points to winning some games this year. I think Jimmy has given the marching orders....start winning this year. I don't think to the point we forsake the future, but win none the less. It wouldn't shock me if we traded for a Crabtree.

I would love a trade for Crabtree (if the price is right). Nonetheless, this is the last year of his contract and it isn't putting the 49'ers in any kind of danger to keep him aboard for this season. All the talk is saying that he will likely be let loose after this season.

I think they are trying to assemble the best team possible this year - despite the salary cap concerns - to win the Super Bowl.

I think that if Crabtree becomes available this year, it won't be until training camp starts to shape out and the 49'ers begin to assess their depth chart and decide whether or not Crabtree is expendable...and even if he is, I don't see them cutting him, rather seeking the right trade.

As unlikely the possibility that they trade him it's certainly not out the realm of possibility.

On another note, I think that if there is any team to monitor in regards to their WR position, it would be the Green Bay Packers. There is going to be a pretty big name hanging in the balance on their depth chart due to the players they've drafted, signed, and/or committed to - namely a contract extension for Randall Cobb combined w/ their draft picks. Keep an eye on that situation because something worth noting is likely to happen - very possibly w/ Jordy Nelson. You put him in the slot and/or line him on the outside at times and suddenly we become a team to truly be taken seriously.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:53 PM
As strange as it may sound, of the group I believe Hawkins will be the one to step up. Until his injury last year, he was a young WR on the rise. If you want to talk about a quick, elusive slot WR, he's the guy.

And in this O, I believe that will give him an advantage. Look for a lot of YAC from this kid.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:55 PM
kind of replying to you Pit, but mostly to everyone ... is anyone else seeing that Hawkins, Bennett, and Austin are considered stronger in the slot? Just something that seems strange, but maybe I'm wrong.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:56 PM
If he can stay on the field this is a great signing.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 10:57 PM
Quote:

Obviously true #1 WRs are hard to find so without Gordon we simply will lack that position.

I never saw a play book with that position. I always thought it was simply WR1 n WR2 or WR X n WR Z. There simply is no such position to lack or covet. Go to guy...I think Cameron can be the Go To guy and we will see if anyone else will step up...like Hawkins or Austin.

I agree. I have said for a long time that the #1 receiver the the guy that the ball is headed towards.

Also.....for many years, Ozzie Newsome was our #1 receiver.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:01 PM
I like Little in the WCO. I like Hawkins in the WCO. Austin when healthy is in that 2nd group of receivers behind Johnson, Gordon, Megatron. I think he needs to learn yoga and invest in deep tissue massage. Nothing helps prevent muscle injuries better.

Bennet and Burleson we will see.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:02 PM
Quote:

kind of replying to you Pit, but mostly to everyone ... is anyone else seeing that Hawkins, Bennett, and Austin are considered stronger in the slot? Just something that seems strange, but maybe I'm wrong.

I believe to a large degree it's more about speed and shiftiness. Being elusive and YAC type WR's. Seems a theme here. But for the WCO that's a good thing.

The only worry I have is stretching the field. I am a bit concerned about opposing D's being bunched up on a short field.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:03 PM
Those hands of Little's worry the hell out of me. But otherwise I agree with you.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:05 PM
Is any 3rd round rookie WR better than Mile Austin when healthy? Very doubtful.

Solid signing.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:07 PM
You always face that on a short field. No?

I think we have guys who can go deep. If you run them out there, somebody has to go with them. Cameron working the deep seam will be a weapon in this O....that is going to hold a safty back because a backer can't cover Cameron on a deep seam route.
Posted By: Fingerlakerdawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:11 PM
With question marks surrounding Gordon and Burleson hovering over the team, I was getting worried about other teams stacking the box for our new running game. But since the signing of Austin and Bennett, I'm feeling a little better now against that happening.
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:11 PM
Quote:

Solid signing.

Agree 100%

There will be first round WR's that wouldn't match Austin's numbers if he plays healthy this year. He will be our go-to-guy. He has a a lot of experience, and is more than willing to teach the young guys how to run routes and be a pro's pro.

If you are looking for a WR to fill a big void THIS SEASON and put up good numbers, there are few if any rookies that could provide you with that return. In the years to come, Austin can become an excellent compliment to Josh Gordon (if he finally learns from this horrible experience) and mentor him into the WR that we all want him to be - on and off the field. I think that is very valuable.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:31 PM
Not sure if anybody has mentioned it. I am very pleased that the team is exploring this avenue for the WR solution instead of using any of next years draft picks. Those are way too valuable and it would be irresponsible and desperate to spend one of those picks instead of exhausting the FA route first. In the remote chance that all of the guys being brought in fail completely then and only then would a trade make sense. The team can have a effective, balanced offense with the caliber of players currently on the roster.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:36 PM
I think we'd look to trade Buffalo's 4th rounder and/or Baltimore's 6th rounder if we absolutely needed a starting WR
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/15/14 11:42 PM
I've heard the term #1 wide receiver thrown around, how many #1 wider receivers are in the league? I'd say there are 32. If Gordon is suspended, little keeps dropping balls and Austin has a good year, he's a #1 receiver.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 12:22 AM
Quote:

Kudos.

the only thing I can't see happening is Pinkston starting over Greco but I agree that is solid in comparison to anyhing we have had in the past 5+ yeasr
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 12:34 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The bottom line is that there is no replacing Josh Gordon's production of last year; and speaking of last year, let's not forget that we threw the ball 50 times a game. In this year balanced attack, its likely that Gordon's numbers would have evened out a bit. Not to a point where he wasn't a #1 WR, but not to the point of leading the league in receving. We threw the ball A LOT last year, we had to throw the ball A LOT last year w/o a running game. We will not be throwing the ball nearly as much this year.

Secondly, there is no replacing Josh Gordon's numbers from last year. Firstly, because of the point I made above, but secondly, because there are very few WR's w/ Gordon's talent. In 2010 and 2011 (before the Cowboys let Miles Austin play which led him to earning the #1 spot - and before they made Dez Bryant/Jason Witten their primary targets) Miles Austin was putting up some of the best numbers in the NFL leading to two consecutivne 1,000+ seasons. He is only 29 years w/ PLENTY left in the tank.

A hamstring injury is an afterthought. His hamstring is fine now. Never once did I read about a player having a 'career ending hamstring injury'.

Austin's should do just fine if he is managed well by our strength's & conditioning's coach.

Sometimes its unfortunate that Browns fans have nothing better to do than look on the negative side of things. This might not be a blockbuster signing by NFL's standards, but for the Cleveland Browns it is IMO. We are lucky to have him. Very lucky to have him. Not just for his proven track record on the field, but for his eagerness to bring the most out of, and mentor our rookies and teach them how to run the best routes possible and to be a pro's pro.

How you can't like this signing is beyond me.

I don't dislike the Miles Austin or Earl Bennett signings at all. I like them 1000 times more than having Josh Gordon serving a suspension. Gordon won't get you a damned thing as he's likely to be sitting out the season.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 12:36 AM
This is the same argument people use for pitchers who are aces in baseball. Every team has a staff ace, but there aren't actually 30 aces in MLB. It all depends on how you define the word.

If you are saying there 32 teams and all of them have a best receiver, then yes, you are correct. But there are not 32 prototypical #1 receivers in the league.
Posted By: slick Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 12:55 AM
Quote:

Solid signing.

usually i would agree with you. However i have read and heard from guys like kiper that this years wr class was so talented that wr's that went in the 2nd and 3rd would have gone in the 1st in most drafts.....i still think it was a mistake not to draft one in the first 3 rounds. however i hope austin can stay healthy
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 12:59 AM
I'll admit when we were setting up for Round 2 I really wanted Jordan Matthews or Marqise Lee (even before hearing about Gordon's suspension).

Bitonio will most likely be a solid, dependable player for us for years, so it was probably the prudent selection.
Posted By: SunDawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 01:00 AM
History of hamstring problems....doubt he will be able to stretch the D anymore, let alone play 16 games.

Hope we didn't pay much for him.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 02:05 AM
Quote:

History of hamstring problems....doubt he will be able to stretch the D anymore, let alone play 16 games.

Hope we didn't pay much for him.

Was waiting for a dose of reality to seep it's way into the optimism, hehe.

Look, these aren't "brilliant" moves by the FO. They really didn't have much of a choice. These were signings that we essentially had no choice in making. The appropriate phrase was used by another poster who said we are trying to catch lightning in a bottle.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 02:26 AM
Same ol', same ol'. It's the battle of alternating regimes. Everything is either "brilliant by a FO we trust" or "idiocy by a FO comprised of stooges."

It's so predictable that it is boring.

It would be nice to find more posters that would actually evaluate each move independently rather than stupid or awesome.
Posted By: bigf00t Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 02:28 AM
both of these moves are solid pickups. Its better then sending rookies out there. Austin is still a viable threat, and if he can stay healthy will be a solid contributor. Dallas wanted to keep him.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 02:43 AM
whats not to like? when healthy Miles Austin is a fantastic player. Can his hammies last? that remains to be seen but I like this signing. Really saw nothing with Bennet and Burleson however.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 03:07 AM
Quote:

Kudos.

From this roster and the other posts, it looks like everyone here is giving Josh Cooper the boot. He made a few good snags last year, but it doesn't appear he'll survive the numbers game.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 03:09 AM
I think that our OL will look like it did when it was so effective in the WCO 2 years ago .......

LT Thomas
LG Greco
C Mack
RG Bitonio (The obvious difference)
RT Schwartz

I see no need to change the LG spot to Pinkston, (who can't stay healthy) or to McQuistan. (who is nowhere near as good a pass blocker as Greco)

CBS Sports' drpth chart shows Bitonio at LG, and Greco at RG, but I think that Bitonio will play RG. He is supposed to be a ferocious run blocker, and we want to add some attitude to the OL, and that would see to me to be the spot to do it from.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 03:13 AM
Please...let...it...go

You are the ONLY poster on this forum who gives a rats butt about which regime drafted which guy...you are a knowledgeable football guy...go with that.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 03:20 AM
I wanted the Browns to pick up Miles Austin to replace Little when FA started.. I felt the Cowboys made a mistake letting him go.. I know they wanted him to resign a cheaper contract.... I'm glad he didn't resign and the Browns have him now....
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 03:34 AM
I like the Austin signing, because he is a veteran, and I think that we need that veteran influence on a very young WR corps. He has been a #1 receiver in the past, and while it remains to be seen if he can still perform at that level, if he is healthy, then he is our #1 right now. (assuming that Gordon is gone, of course)

I will point out that Shanahan is immensely flexible in his offense. In 2012, when the Redskins had a rookie RG3 under Center, and when they won 10 games and made the playiffs, the Redskins #1 receiver was Pierre Garcon, who played 10 games, had 633 yards, and 4 TD. Was he the difference maker that year?

Their other receivers went as follows:

S. Moss: 573 yards
Hankerson: 543 yards
Morgan: 510 yards
Davis (TE) 325 yards
Paulson (TE) 308 yards

I think that this is the model we will have to follow this year. We don't necessarily have a #1 receiver without Gordon, but we have a bunch of #2 or #3 guys. I do think that Shanahan knows how to work around certain sets of circumstances. It's not an ideal situation, and I am not going to pretend that it is ..... but I think that we can work with, and win with the type of guys we are pursuing. I also believe that we'll probably be able to add another solid veteran type at some point in camp, as an expensive veteran loses his job to a hotshot rookie. Stevie Johnson has already been dumped, and unfortunately we missed out on him. I don't think that he'll be the last veteran WR to be moved by his current team. Too many rookie WRs went too high in this draft for all teams to hold on to expensive receivers. Luckily we can afford those bigger contracts if we have to.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 03:57 AM
Quote:

Same ol', same ol'. It's the battle of alternating regimes. Everything is either "brilliant by a FO we trust" or "idiocy by a FO comprised of stooges."

It's so predictable that it is boring.

It would be nice to find more posters that would actually evaluate each move independently rather than stupid or awesome.

Would you have given up on Botanio for a WR?

The choices were limited, and I believe the front office agreed that OL was a greater need.

I like the signings, especially Austin, he was solid until Bryant hit the scene.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 04:13 AM
j/c

The moves of adding Austin and Bennett make the team stronger as a whole. Neither will obviously be able to replace Gordon's impact on the game. They are both guys who will catch the ball though.

It's funny, because I think the Browns are doing a great job of following the model of the Seahawks. They are finding guys who have decent size, who can catch the ball, but aren't great after the catch. Bennett and Austin fit these descriptions perfectly. I'm okay with that, because the Browns need guys who will just move the chains. It's clear that's the type of offense the Browns want.

The only guy who, IMO, has the chance to change the entire WR corp is Charles Johnson. The guy is an athletic freak, was drafted by a WR smart team, and should be motivated to come back strong. If he ever lives up to his physical talent, he could be more valuable than Josh Gordon.
Posted By: OverToad Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 04:23 AM
There are teams who have made it work without big-name receivers but solid groups as a whole. Having a QB who can really play helps that, as does a very strong running game. If we can manage to get one of those two we can progress as a team with a combination of castoffs, never-wasses and has-beens.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 04:29 AM
It would seem that the Browns believe a great running game is the way to go. With Tate, West, and others, there should be plenty of quality running backs to do just that.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 04:37 AM
We don't know the terms of the Austin signing, but I think that if it is a one year deal it is a good signing no matter what. Given the need and what's available I don't see many better moves that could be made.

If something better comes along I don't see how this move would preclude us from further upgrading the position.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 05:52 AM
JC...I remember seeing a couple cowboys games this year...Miles Austin looked invisible...but is a high character route savvy guy...great signing for veteran leadership... Hopefully he can show guys the ropes...I think with his re occuring leg or hammy issues took a big tole on his speed...he looked awfully slow compared to his former self...the guys legs are always hampering his on field abilities...a shame.

Far as Earl Bennett... Was pretty famous for never following the dress code per shoes and socks I think... He always wanted the baller shoes lol...always thought he was pretty decent-good...will drop some easy ones here and there... But is a good signing considering there's a high probability that Benjamin Burleson or Hawkins will get injured this year...great signings for what is available with really no down side of signing them

As far as those wanting Holmes...I recall reading so many reports about this guy giving up and milking his injury and becoming cancerous and lazy that the Jets (whom were horrible at wide out) could not wait to cut this guy loose...Holmes is washed up with a pissy attitude...Miles Austin may be washed up as well...but least he tries and has a very respectable character...I wouldn't sign Holmes for the veteran minimum...guy has a lot of question marks and even rumored to be bi polar...no thanks
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 07:12 AM
Quote:

JC...I remember seeing a couple cowboys games this year...Miles Austin looked invisible...but is a high character route savvy guy...great signing for veteran leadership... Hopefully he can show guys the ropes...I think with his re occuring leg or hammy issues took a big tole on his speed...he looked awfully slow compared to his former self...the guys legs are always hampering his on field abilities...a shame.

I read that he didn't play at 100% last year or the year before, yet he still played. In his last productive year where he had about 1,000 yards, i think in 2012, he also wasn't 100%. Gotta love that toughness.

Either way, I'm sure the organization has a plan to get him the best shape possible and keep him as healthy as possible. Hamstring issues are not a major concern to me. If anything, it showed the Cowboys lack of depth at WR other than Dez Bryant and the need to put Miles out there IMO, sometimes as a decoy.

I think he will be hungry going into this year knowing that he has a very good chance at being our #1, which he knew he wasn't he past couple of years. Hopefully this translates into him working really hard to get in the best shape possible and showing the Cowboys that they made big mistake in letting him loose.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 12:02 PM
I agree with you CanadaDawg, and most especially on the last part. Getting people out of the box more and forcing them to perform against us and adjust to our offense should result in more points, maybe a lot more points. Two more scores would have won us a number of games the last two seasons, and preserved leads to give us wins.

The Three - And - Out Club that has passed for our offense has killed us too long. We are not effective when we own the ball. This enables running and passing.
Posted By: slick Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 10:45 PM
correct me if im wrong...but would i be wrong to assume that the big year that austin had was in large part because of dez bryant being the one defenses keyed in on?
Posted By: PDR Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/16/14 10:48 PM
Quote:

correct me if im wrong...but would i be wrong to assume that the big year that austin had was in large part because of dez bryant being the one defenses keyed in on?

Dez Bryant was not in the NFL during Austin's breakout year.
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns sign Miles Austin... - 05/17/14 03:31 PM
Quote:

I agree with you CanadaDawg, and most especially on the last part. Getting people out of the box more and forcing them to perform against us and adjust to our offense should result in more points, maybe a lot more points. Two more scores would have won us a number of games the last two seasons, and preserved leads to give us wins.

The Three - And - Out Club that has passed for our offense has killed us too long. We are not effective when we own the ball. This enables running and passing.

I like the point you made about how we could have won so many more games last year if we could have just one more TD or two. Not to mention our defense not giving up leads in the 4th quarter.

I think it shows you that it isn't being overly optimistic to think that the Browns can contend in the division this year all the way until the end. This year's team definitely has more talent than the 10-6 season and the 8-8 playoff season as well IMO. But they have to prove it.

Even without Gordon, our running game and defense should be drastically improved...and that alone is going to lead to more wins.