Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Cowboys fans can't be very happy with us right now

But hey they took Weeden away from us, those jerks.

Miles Austin was one of the first guys to really tactically improve his combine stats. He was able to drop his 40 time from 4.67 to 4.47 with practice.

I assume the guy has the same mindset going into the NFL and playing in the NFL. Intelligent and trying to perfect himself despite limitations.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Hopefully this is just insurance in case Gordon can't play. I'm not sure Austin is a true # 1 WR, but he certainly isn't bad.

If Gordon is able to play, Austin has a lot of value. If Gordon can't play, at least we have a WR who isn't awful.

Seems pretty bad that a step up for our WR corps is "not awful."

Hopefully it's a sign that they don't care about what happens to Gordon professionally. At some point, they have to come to the realization that Gordon may never play again or if he does, that he's one bad decision away from being permanently banned from the NFL.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Miles Austin is damaged goods.

We are screwed at receiver this year. Not much we can do right now, except get the best WR's not already on another team.

We can address the position (a #1 WR) in next year's draft's first round.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

We are screwed at receiver this year. Not much we can do right now, except get the best WR's not already on another team.

The Browns aren't screwed at WR at all. In my view, the draft position for WRs is highly overrated.

D
Legend
Legend
D
With Bennet and now Austiin, pretty clear Gordon is for sure, without doubt... going to get suspended for some period of time. I was "hoping" that no signing/drafting WR meant the Browns knew the report was false, but ehhh... we as Brown fans never receive such positive luck...

Me personally, I don't care too much for either vet WR we just signed. Hopefully they can at least be serviceable and able to teach some things. Our WR core went from hero to zero with no Flash IMO

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Quote:

The Browns aren't screwed at WR at all. In my view, the draft position for WRs is highly overrated.

We still need a WR that can scare a defense. Gordon did that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
how is he damaged goods?

He did have a nagging hamstring... that is healed with rest

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He did? Got proof of that statement?

Gordon is a talented player but no team was shaking in their shoes when facing the Browns with Brandon Weeden or Jason Campbell at the QB spot and Willis McGahee as the starting RB.

I hate doing it, but you really need to stop meeting up with Davone Bess and going over to Josh Gordon's place.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

how is he damaged goods?

He did have a nagging hamstring... that is healed with rest

A nagging hamstring. Okay. At least he's not getting high and facing a suspension.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gordon is a talented player but no team was shaking in their shoes when facing the Browns with Brandon Weeden or Jason Campbell at the QB spot and Willis McGahee as the starting RB.

I hate doing it, but you really need to stop meeting up with Davone Bess and going over to Josh Gordon's place.

The bottom line is that there is no replacing Josh Gordon's production of last year; and speaking of last year, let's not forget that we threw the ball 50 times a game. In this year balanced attack, its likely that Gordon's numbers would have evened out a bit. Not to a point where he wasn't a #1 WR, but not to the point of leading the league in receving. We threw the ball A LOT last year, we had to throw the ball A LOT last year w/o a running game. We will not be throwing the ball nearly as much this year.

Secondly, there is no replacing Josh Gordon's numbers from last year. Firstly, because of the point I made above, but secondly, because there are very few WR's w/ Gordon's talent. In 2010 and 2011 (before the Cowboys let Miles Austin play which led him to earning the #1 spot - and before they made Dez Bryant/Jason Witten their primary targets) Miles Austin was putting up some of the best numbers in the NFL leading to two consecutivne 1,000+ seasons. He is only 29 years w/ PLENTY left in the tank.

A hamstring injury is an afterthought. His hamstring is fine now. Never once did I read about a player having a 'career ending hamstring injury'.

Austin's should do just fine if he is managed well by our strength's & conditioning's coach.

Sometimes its unfortunate that Browns fans have nothing better to do than look on the negative side of things. This might not be a blockbuster signing by NFL's standards, but for the Cleveland Browns it is IMO. We are lucky to have him. Very lucky to have him. Not just for his proven track record on the field, but for his eagerness to bring the most out of, and mentor our rookies and teach them how to run the best routes possible and to be a pro's pro.

How you can't like this signing is beyond me.

JMHO
T
Legend
Legend
T
Report, Browns sign Miles Austin. No Way! I've heard of Miles Austin, he's pretty good. There has to be a catch.
Sounds too good to be true.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

QB: Hoyer, Manziel, Shaw
RB: Tate, West, Lewis, Crowell
FB: Pressley
WR: Austin, Burleson, Bennett, Hawkins, Little, Benjamin, Snead (+Ch. Jones +Shaw +C. Johnson)
TE: Cameron, Dray
LT: Thomas
LG: Bitonio/Greco
C: Mack
RG: Pinkston/Gilkey
RT: Schwartz

LE: D. Bryant, B. Winn
NT: Taylor, Kitchen
RE: Rubin, Hughes, Bryant
LOLB: Kruger, Groves
SILB: Dansby, Carder
WILB: Robinson, Kirksey
ROLB: Sheard, Mingo
CB: Haden
CB: Gilbert
Nickle: Skrine
FS: Gipson
SS: Whitner

Man, that's a pretty solid lineup all of a sudden. Pulling Bennett and Austin out of their hats was a big move to improve this team.

Kudos.

I agree. You don't replace a guy like Gordon, but we have just added a couple of decent options who can make the plays, and that is all you need.

Whoever is throwing the ball is going to have guys who can make plays. I wouldn't say we are weak at WR by any means.

Elhadji Ndiaye.....I was reading up on that guy....a beast in the making? We might have something here.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

I'm going to make two predictions after learning that we signed Austin:

1. Gordon will be suspended at least 6 games.
2. Nate Burleson will not make this team.

I don't know how much Austin has left in the tank (or if he'll even hold up), but I think these moves are in response to BOTH Gordon and Burleson's situations.

I don't see Burelson not making the team. What makes you think that?

It's just a hunch more than anything; nothing really tangible to back it up. During the previous press conference I got the sense that Farmer/Pett were frustrated and somewhat angry about Burleson (and I realize some of their anger stemmed from the media's stupid questions).

I think the following players will make the roster:

1. Austin
2. Little
3. Bennett
4. Benji
5. Hawkins

So with one more spot (maybe) that would be Burleson or Charles Johnson (who I think will show some promise for the FO)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Nice pickup. He's certainly had his injury problems, but when healthy he is talented and productive.

The potential loss of Gordon is terrible, but no one person is going to replace him or his production. Accumulating multiple options is the smart thing to do, and I think Farmer is doing a good job.

Between Miles Austin, Earl Bennett, Nate Burleson, Andrew Hawkins, Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Charles Johnson, and the undrafted guys, hopefully a productive receiving corp can be assembled. It certainly seems like speed/quickness is valued over size, based on the guys signed either as free agents or undrafted guys.

Charles Johnson might be the wildcard of the group. He has good size at 6'2" and 215 pounds, and excellent athleticism having run a 4.39 forty, had a 39 1/2" vertical jump, and an 11'1" broad jump at the combine. He is coming off an ACL injury and was a 7th round pick out of Grand Valley State by the Packers, so the expectations should be low, but he has a size/speed combination that can't be taught. So worth monitoring.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
J/C

Love the Austin signing! That guy runs impressive routes. Injury risks are a concern but IF he can stay on the field he'll be a servicable #1 WR. I've been a big fan of his so very happy... hope he can stay on the field.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Obviously true #1 WRs are hard to find so without Gordon we simply will lack that position.

I never saw a play book with that position. I always thought it was simply WR1 n WR2 or WR X n WR Z. There simply is no such position to lack or covet. Go to guy...I think Cameron can be the Go To guy and we will see if anyone else will step up...like Hawkins or Austin.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

Oh, I'm sure that the Training Staff will do the best they can to keep Austin healthy.

I am sure they will too. I just have this thing about injuries. Some are just bad breaks....blowing out a knee as an example. Others are chronic.....pulled muscles, concussions...some guys seem to be prone to those, and how do you prevent it?

Make no mistake, I like the addition of Austin. Probably the best available move we could make that doesn't involve trading for a player...and who knows, maybe we'll do that as well. Everything I am seeing points to winning some games this year. I think Jimmy has given the marching orders....start winning this year. I don't think to the point we forsake the future, but win none the less. It wouldn't shock me if we traded for a Crabtree.

I would love a trade for Crabtree (if the price is right). Nonetheless, this is the last year of his contract and it isn't putting the 49'ers in any kind of danger to keep him aboard for this season. All the talk is saying that he will likely be let loose after this season.

I think they are trying to assemble the best team possible this year - despite the salary cap concerns - to win the Super Bowl.

I think that if Crabtree becomes available this year, it won't be until training camp starts to shape out and the 49'ers begin to assess their depth chart and decide whether or not Crabtree is expendable...and even if he is, I don't see them cutting him, rather seeking the right trade.

As unlikely the possibility that they trade him it's certainly not out the realm of possibility.

On another note, I think that if there is any team to monitor in regards to their WR position, it would be the Green Bay Packers. There is going to be a pretty big name hanging in the balance on their depth chart due to the players they've drafted, signed, and/or committed to - namely a contract extension for Randall Cobb combined w/ their draft picks. Keep an eye on that situation because something worth noting is likely to happen - very possibly w/ Jordy Nelson. You put him in the slot and/or line him on the outside at times and suddenly we become a team to truly be taken seriously.

JMHO
P
Legend
Legend
P
As strange as it may sound, of the group I believe Hawkins will be the one to step up. Until his injury last year, he was a young WR on the rise. If you want to talk about a quick, elusive slot WR, he's the guy.

And in this O, I believe that will give him an advantage. Look for a lot of YAC from this kid.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
kind of replying to you Pit, but mostly to everyone ... is anyone else seeing that Hawkins, Bennett, and Austin are considered stronger in the slot? Just something that seems strange, but maybe I'm wrong.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
If he can stay on the field this is a great signing.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Obviously true #1 WRs are hard to find so without Gordon we simply will lack that position.

I never saw a play book with that position. I always thought it was simply WR1 n WR2 or WR X n WR Z. There simply is no such position to lack or covet. Go to guy...I think Cameron can be the Go To guy and we will see if anyone else will step up...like Hawkins or Austin.

I agree. I have said for a long time that the #1 receiver the the guy that the ball is headed towards.

Also.....for many years, Ozzie Newsome was our #1 receiver.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Little in the WCO. I like Hawkins in the WCO. Austin when healthy is in that 2nd group of receivers behind Johnson, Gordon, Megatron. I think he needs to learn yoga and invest in deep tissue massage. Nothing helps prevent muscle injuries better.

Bennet and Burleson we will see.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

kind of replying to you Pit, but mostly to everyone ... is anyone else seeing that Hawkins, Bennett, and Austin are considered stronger in the slot? Just something that seems strange, but maybe I'm wrong.

I believe to a large degree it's more about speed and shiftiness. Being elusive and YAC type WR's. Seems a theme here. But for the WCO that's a good thing.

The only worry I have is stretching the field. I am a bit concerned about opposing D's being bunched up on a short field.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Those hands of Little's worry the hell out of me. But otherwise I agree with you.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is any 3rd round rookie WR better than Mile Austin when healthy? Very doubtful.

Solid signing.

B
Legend
Legend
B
You always face that on a short field. No?

I think we have guys who can go deep. If you run them out there, somebody has to go with them. Cameron working the deep seam will be a weapon in this O....that is going to hold a safty back because a backer can't cover Cameron on a deep seam route.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
With question marks surrounding Gordon and Burleson hovering over the team, I was getting worried about other teams stacking the box for our new running game. But since the signing of Austin and Bennett, I'm feeling a little better now against that happening.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Solid signing.

Agree 100%

There will be first round WR's that wouldn't match Austin's numbers if he plays healthy this year. He will be our go-to-guy. He has a a lot of experience, and is more than willing to teach the young guys how to run routes and be a pro's pro.

If you are looking for a WR to fill a big void THIS SEASON and put up good numbers, there are few if any rookies that could provide you with that return. In the years to come, Austin can become an excellent compliment to Josh Gordon (if he finally learns from this horrible experience) and mentor him into the WR that we all want him to be - on and off the field. I think that is very valuable.

JMHO
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not sure if anybody has mentioned it. I am very pleased that the team is exploring this avenue for the WR solution instead of using any of next years draft picks. Those are way too valuable and it would be irresponsible and desperate to spend one of those picks instead of exhausting the FA route first. In the remote chance that all of the guys being brought in fail completely then and only then would a trade make sense. The team can have a effective, balanced offense with the caliber of players currently on the roster.

Legend
Legend
I think we'd look to trade Buffalo's 4th rounder and/or Baltimore's 6th rounder if we absolutely needed a starting WR

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've heard the term #1 wide receiver thrown around, how many #1 wider receivers are in the league? I'd say there are 32. If Gordon is suspended, little keeps dropping balls and Austin has a good year, he's a #1 receiver.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

QB: Hoyer, Manziel, Shaw
RB: Tate, West, Lewis, Crowell
FB: Pressley
WR: Austin, Burleson, Bennett, Hawkins, Little, Benjamin, Snead (+Ch. Jones +Shaw +C. Johnson)
TE: Cameron, Dray
LT: Thomas
LG: Bitonio/Greco
C: Mack
RG: Pinkston/Gilkey
RT: Schwartz

LE: D. Bryant, B. Winn
NT: Taylor, Kitchen
RE: Rubin, Hughes, Bryant
LOLB: Kruger, Groves
SILB: Dansby, Carder
WILB: Robinson, Kirksey
ROLB: Sheard, Mingo
CB: Haden
CB: Gilbert
Nickle: Skrine
FS: Gipson
SS: Whitner

Man, that's a pretty solid lineup all of a sudden. Pulling Bennett and Austin out of their hats was a big move to improve this team.

Kudos.

the only thing I can't see happening is Pinkston starting over Greco but I agree that is solid in comparison to anyhing we have had in the past 5+ yeasr

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The bottom line is that there is no replacing Josh Gordon's production of last year; and speaking of last year, let's not forget that we threw the ball 50 times a game. In this year balanced attack, its likely that Gordon's numbers would have evened out a bit. Not to a point where he wasn't a #1 WR, but not to the point of leading the league in receving. We threw the ball A LOT last year, we had to throw the ball A LOT last year w/o a running game. We will not be throwing the ball nearly as much this year.

Secondly, there is no replacing Josh Gordon's numbers from last year. Firstly, because of the point I made above, but secondly, because there are very few WR's w/ Gordon's talent. In 2010 and 2011 (before the Cowboys let Miles Austin play which led him to earning the #1 spot - and before they made Dez Bryant/Jason Witten their primary targets) Miles Austin was putting up some of the best numbers in the NFL leading to two consecutivne 1,000+ seasons. He is only 29 years w/ PLENTY left in the tank.

A hamstring injury is an afterthought. His hamstring is fine now. Never once did I read about a player having a 'career ending hamstring injury'.

Austin's should do just fine if he is managed well by our strength's & conditioning's coach.

Sometimes its unfortunate that Browns fans have nothing better to do than look on the negative side of things. This might not be a blockbuster signing by NFL's standards, but for the Cleveland Browns it is IMO. We are lucky to have him. Very lucky to have him. Not just for his proven track record on the field, but for his eagerness to bring the most out of, and mentor our rookies and teach them how to run the best routes possible and to be a pro's pro.

How you can't like this signing is beyond me.

I don't dislike the Miles Austin or Earl Bennett signings at all. I like them 1000 times more than having Josh Gordon serving a suspension. Gordon won't get you a damned thing as he's likely to be sitting out the season.

C
Legend
Legend
C
This is the same argument people use for pitchers who are aces in baseball. Every team has a staff ace, but there aren't actually 30 aces in MLB. It all depends on how you define the word.

If you are saying there 32 teams and all of them have a best receiver, then yes, you are correct. But there are not 32 prototypical #1 receivers in the league.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

Solid signing.

usually i would agree with you. However i have read and heard from guys like kiper that this years wr class was so talented that wr's that went in the 2nd and 3rd would have gone in the 1st in most drafts.....i still think it was a mistake not to draft one in the first 3 rounds. however i hope austin can stay healthy

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
I'll admit when we were setting up for Round 2 I really wanted Jordan Matthews or Marqise Lee (even before hearing about Gordon's suspension).

Bitonio will most likely be a solid, dependable player for us for years, so it was probably the prudent selection.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
History of hamstring problems....doubt he will be able to stretch the D anymore, let alone play 16 games.

Hope we didn't pay much for him.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

History of hamstring problems....doubt he will be able to stretch the D anymore, let alone play 16 games.

Hope we didn't pay much for him.

Was waiting for a dose of reality to seep it's way into the optimism, hehe.

Look, these aren't "brilliant" moves by the FO. They really didn't have much of a choice. These were signings that we essentially had no choice in making. The appropriate phrase was used by another poster who said we are trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
V
Legend
Legend
V
Same ol', same ol'. It's the battle of alternating regimes. Everything is either "brilliant by a FO we trust" or "idiocy by a FO comprised of stooges."

It's so predictable that it is boring.

It would be nice to find more posters that would actually evaluate each move independently rather than stupid or awesome.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
both of these moves are solid pickups. Its better then sending rookies out there. Austin is still a viable threat, and if he can stay healthy will be a solid contributor. Dallas wanted to keep him.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Miles Austin...

Link Copied to Clipboard