DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: CalDawg Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/02/14 07:49 PM
Surprised I didn't see this posted so if it's already being discussed please delete.

Bills' Kiko Alonso likely out for '14

ESPN.com Bills reporter Mike Rodak and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

The Buffalo Bills confirmed Wednesday that linebacker Kiko Alonso suffered a torn ACL in his left knee while working out in Oregon and will likely miss the 2014 season.

Bills general manager Doug Whaley said in a statement that Alonso would be scheduled for surgery "in the near future and begin a rehabilitation program at the appropriate time."

"We feel badly for Kiko because he has worked very hard this offseason in preparation for the upcoming season, but we look forward to his return with his style of play that made him one of the league's outstanding rookies in 2013," Whaley said in a statement.

A seven- to nine-month recovery is expected, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Oregon Ducks product played every defensive snap last season in his rookie year and ranked third in the NFL with 159 tackles.

Under new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Alonso was expected to shift from middle to weakside linebacker in Schwartz's 4-3 scheme. The team wanted to "free up" Alonso to make more plays from the outside of the formation and signed Brandon Spikes this offseason to replace Alonso at middle linebacker.

Alonso already was recovering from hip surgery this offseason. The procedure, to repair a torn labrum, was performed sometime in January, a league source told ESPN's Adam Caplan.

The Bills do have some depth behind Alonso.

Manny Lawson, an eight-year NFL veteran, has experience playing the position. The Bills also selected linebacker Preston Brown in the third round of the draft in April.

The Bills are off until July 18, when players are scheduled to report for the start of training camp in suburban Rochester.

Link

Karma's a bitch. That sound you hear is our Bills #1 draft pick clicking up a notch.
Posted By: PDR Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/02/14 08:05 PM
We're going to have a legit shot at two top ten picks.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/02/14 08:08 PM
Possibly two top 5 picks.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/02/14 08:30 PM
Quote:

I'll settle for one
Quote:

whose other 1st round pick are we getting because the Browns are making the playoffs!!!!

(it's July, if we cannot be optimistic this month, then we are lost)
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/02/14 08:41 PM
There's a difference between optimistic and reality. Every year for the past 3 or I really believed that the Browns can with the AFC North and that hasn't changed this year, but I've been wrong every year as well.
Being discussed here....
https://www.dawgtalkers.net/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/268804034/an/0/page/0#Post268804034
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/02/14 10:04 PM
Quote:

Quote:

whose other 1st round pick are we getting because the Browns are making the playoffs!!!!

(it's July, if we cannot be optimistic this month, then we are lost)

Buffalo from a draft day trade
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/02/14 10:32 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/02/14 10:34 PM
Tough break for the Bills and the player, but a potentially big break for us since we hold their 1st rounder next year..
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 03:49 AM
Losing Kiko is hard. But I don't think this really effects their outcome on the season...

They will go as far as EJ, CJ, and Sammy take them.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 03:57 AM
Sucks to see any player get hurt. Hope he heals up quick for them. His hit on Hoyer was legal, Hoyer didn't slide well.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 05:25 AM
I didn't know hitting a sliding QB was legal...
Losing Kiko pales in comparison to the Bill's biggest loss. It was the loss of their defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 08:33 AM
Quote:

Losing Kiko is hard. But I don't think this really effects their outcome on the season...

They will go as far as EJ, CJ, and Sammy take them.

Probably so, but I don't think losing a good MLB is insignificant.
Quote:

Was it even a slide, or an awkward collapse that could have been deemed a slide by some?
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 12:43 PM
Quote:

It is when the QB doesn't slide till after the defensive player is going for the hit.

Hoyer should have slide sooner.

Kiko made contact before Hoyer's knee was down.
I dont even think kiko was the cause of the injury. That was horrible leg placement for that slide by hoyer. One reason i think a QB should not be allowed to slide but run it like a HB. If your gonna run it then run it. If you can't run it then throw it away.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 01:54 PM
I think when Kiko rolled over Hoyer his knee slammed into the ground while twisting sideways. IMO that caused the injury. Had Kiko not him him causing that motion I doubt his ACL would have torn. But i'm no doctor.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 02:20 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It is when the QB doesn't slide till after the defensive player is going for the hit.

But it is not legal to launch at him leading with the crown of your helmet, aiming for his head, as Alonso was. Hoyer was obviously going down, Alonso was clearly trying to do damage to him. The helmet to helmet wasn't even called, IIRC. Makes contact before his knee was down? BFD. It was a B.S. punk-ass move ala Harrison. As I stated earlier, Karma's a bitch.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 02:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But it is not legal to launch at him leading with the crown of your helmet, aiming for his head, as Alonso was. Hoyer was obviously going down, Alonso was clearly trying to do damage to him. The helmet to helmet wasn't even called, IIRC. Makes contact before his knee was down? BFD. It was a B.S. punk-ass move ala Harrison. As I stated earlier, Karma's a bitch.

Kiko was already committed to the hit before Hoyer's "slide". It was only Helmet to Helmet because Hoyer ducked down and brought his helmet to Kiko's level.

Quote:

Nevertheless, the league has confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that neither Gipson nor Alonso was fined and determined officials also were correct in not throwing penalty flags on the plays that hurt Hoyer and Manuel.

Nuff Said
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mind you I don't care about kiko one way or the other... watch the video again, when he went to tackle him Hoyer was still upright and he was aiming for his waist. Hoyer suddenly drops just as Kiko launches. There is no way Kiko could have stopped himself. We are literally talking less than a second to react here. Hoyer didn't run with the intention to slide. He slid as an after thought at the last possible second which is why his legs were in a very bad position when he slid. Hoyer caused his own injury IMHO. He should have braced for the hit or just ran out of bounds but he was too focused on getting that extra yard because he was trying to do too much and carry the team when they were struggling. I like that about him but it is what it is.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 02:56 PM
Yeah, because the league is never wrong. The league's ruling and your opinion notwithstanding, and regardless of when Hoyer went into his slide, he launched head first, leading with the crown of his helmet. I stand by my statement.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 03:04 PM
Quote:

Yeah, because the league is never wrong. The league's ruling and your opinion notwithstanding, and regardless of when Hoyer went into his slide, he launched head first, leading with the crown of his helmet. I stand by my statement.

Looks more like his right shoulder to me. Take your Homer glasses off. It was a good hit, Hoyer should have never put himself in that position.
It's not illegal to launch a helmet into someone's waist which is what he did. I stand by what I said. A LB can't stop or redirect his tackle in that short amount of time.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 03:10 PM
First Gif

Looks like to me Kiko goes to aim for his chest with right shoulder/side of helmet, Hoyer tries to slide to late and it was incidental helmet to helmet.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 04:05 PM
Looks like a clean hit to me.

Posted By: CalDawg Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 04:13 PM
His hands were at his side. He was launching with the crown of his helmet. Doesn't matter where he might have maybe, possibly, I think he could've, intended to hit. He made square helmet to helmet contact with a QB going into a slide. Take your Alonso lover blinders off and watch what actually happened, not what you think he might have been trying to do.
Posted By: BpG Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 04:24 PM
Absolutely looks like launching to me.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 04:51 PM
Quote:

Your optimism is contagious.

#keepingitreal
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 05:01 PM
Quote:

Take your Alonso lover blinders off and watch what actually happened, not what you think he might have been trying to do.

LOL, hardly know who the guy is. If a Browns player had done that and got fined you would be crying that it was a clean hit. Incidental H2H on a Running Back (because that is what Hoyer was at the time) is not cause for a penalty. Refs saw it that way, it was reviewed by the NFL and no fines were given out.

It's as simple as that.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 05:04 PM

Contact with the shoulder first, not the Helmet.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 05:17 PM
Quote:

Quote:

#keepingitreal

LOL What if we end up playing Buffalo in the AFC Championship game and we win then go on to the SB and win.. Then we'd have 2 of the last 4 picks in the draft....
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 05:22 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

#keepingitreal

LOL What if we end up playing Buffalo in the AFC Championship game and we win then go on to the SB and win.. Then we'd have 2 of the last 4 picks in the draft....

I could live with that.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 05:25 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

#keepingitreal

I could live with that.

Oh Hell yeah,, So could I LOL
Posted By: Cjrae Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 05:39 PM
Was at that game. What REALLY bothers me is that there were 6 defenders around Hoyer and not one...not one....orange and brown jersey. I did not notice that specifically during the game. We need to address this if Manziel will be at the helm scrambling as he does so well.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 05:46 PM
Quote:

I think when Kiko rolled over Hoyer his knee slammed into the ground while twisting sideways. IMO that caused the injury. Had Kiko not him him causing that motion I doubt his ACL would have torn. But i'm no doctor.

If no one touches Hoyer, he slides down, stumbles, and rolls on the ground. He gets up and laughs off his terrible slide as teammates rib him for it...

But when you slide, and a 200 pound person lands on you, it kind of effects your bodies ability to take it...

Kiko did not intend to injure Hoyer, but his hit is the reason it happened, regardless of how good or bad Hoyers slide was...
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 05:57 PM
Quote:

It was an awkward slide with Hoyer's cleat stuck in the sod and it might have tweaked Hoyer's knee regardless (but a much less significant injury)... but then a 260 pound guy falls on you and both of your momentum carriers you over the knee before you can get your cleat free from the sod again and the injury happened.

Based on the pics, I don't think it was a dirty hit, or worthy of a penalty or a fine.. Helmet came in on the shoulder then the contact slid it up the shoulder to make contact with Hoyer's helmet..

Just an unfortunately series of events.
Quote:

His hands were at his side. He was launching with the crown of his helmet. Doesn't matter where he might have maybe, possibly, I think he could've, intended to hit. He made square helmet to helmet contact with a QB going into a slide. Take your Alonso lover blinders off and watch what actually happened, not what you think he might have been trying to do.

It was pretty funny to read this right after the posting of pictures that clearly show the exact opposite of what you so vehemently claim, heheh
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 07:08 PM
I zoomed in my browser and watched that gif on replay a dozen times and I actually don't think his helmet made contact with Hoyer's. It looks like all shoulders.

I zoomed to about 300%

web page
Posted By: mac Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 07:42 PM
Quote:

I zoomed in my browser and watched that gif on replay a dozen times and I actually don't think his helmet made contact with Hoyer's. It looks like all shoulders.

I zoomed to about 300%

web page

free....you are wrong...Kiko clocked Hoyer right in the side of his helmet.

Notice, the tip off is Hoyer chin strap being forced off of Hoyer's chin and over his mouth...because of the helmet to helmet contact.

In LB talk...Hoyer got earholed.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 07:51 PM
He hit him in the shoulder.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 09:49 PM
It looked to me like it did make contact helmet to helmet but it was an incidental tap after hitting shoulder to shoulder. I don't think Alonso intended to use his helmet as a weapon by any stretch of the imagination.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 09:49 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Was it even a slide, or an awkward collapse that could have been deemed a slide by some?

Not going to take sides, but it's clear Hoyer gave up on the play and was giving himself up. Yes, an awkward slide but still a slide IMO. Ah well it's done and over with now. Who knows what our season wouldn't have been like if he had slid better, if Kiko was a second or so later in his hit or didn't hit at all.

Posted By: ddubia Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 09:51 PM
And if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/03/14 10:13 PM
Quote:

Don't care about Alonso what so ever. don't hate him and don't like him. Could care less.

It wasn't a dirty hit. He wasn't aiming for his head. Far as I know there is no rules against a diving tackle. At the point he dove it was not aimed at Hoyer's head but at his waist. Hoyer was running hard for a first down and didn't appear to be stopping until the very last possible second. Love Hoyer, hate that he got hurt but it wasn't Alonso's fault it was Hoyer's. Hoyer didn't slide properly and was running it like a HB ready to pound it in for that last yard.

IMHO they shouldn't even allow QB's to slide because it's far more dangerous when it comes to how exposed they are. If they can't handle getting hit then they shouldn't run it but throw it away.
Posted By: Dave Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/04/14 12:24 PM
Its a close call, and the stop-action photos appear to show his helmet hitting Hoyer's shoulder pad and not his helmet, but I have no doubt that if it had been a Browns' LB making that hit on a Brady, a Manning, a Roethlisberger, etc, it would have drawn a flag and a probable fine.
Posted By: mac Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/04/14 02:49 PM
Quote:

He hit him in the shoulder.

No Pit...watch it again, Kikos helmet goes right over the shoulder pad and contacts Hoyer right in the side of the helmet. The impact of the helmet to helmet hit causes Hoyer's chin strap to be dislodged from under his chin, sliding up and over Hoyer's nose.

...I would say that 95% of the energy of the impact was absorbed by the helmets, not the shoulder pads.

...if this hit was not helmet to helmet then explain why Hoyer's chin strap ends up over his nose?

I'm not saying there was no contact between the right side of the LB's helmet with the top of Hoyer's shoulder pad...it is very slight, grazing over the top of Hoyer's shoulder pad...but that was a classic "earhole" shot from a LB.

I'm not calling the hit illegal nor dirty...but I'm not about to claim that Kiko didn't hit his intended target, Hoyer's helmet. I have no problem with the officials not throwing a flag as long as they call the game both ways.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/04/14 04:29 PM
The initial hit was the shoulder pad. Kiko launched before Hoyer began the slide. There's no way he could have determined or accurately estimated where he would have hit Hoyer when he left his feet for the tackle, while Hoyer was still standing upright.

I'm not saying the helmets did not meet at some point. But what I can say, is that Kiko went for the tackle before Hoyer began to slide and the initial hit was on the shoulder.

That's not illegal or worthy of a penalty or fine.
Quote:

When he pulls the ball down and runs past the LOS he isn't a quarterback any longer. He's a running back. And you can lay the wood to a running back.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/06/14 09:16 AM
Are we still hashing this out?
Quote:

Quote:

When he pulls the ball down and runs past the LOS he isn't a quarterback any longer. He's a running back. And you can lay the wood to a running back.

That is not correct.

You cannot hit a QB once he starts to slide and gives himself up. The play is dead at the point that he begins his slide, and any part of his body other than a hand or foot hits the ground.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pub...Ball_Scrimm.pdf

Section 2 Dead Ball

Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:

(a) when a runner is contacted by a defensive player and touches the ground with any part of his body other than his hands or feet. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground. A runner touching the ground with his hands or feet while in the grasp of an opponent may continue to advance; or;

(b) when a runner is held or otherwise restrained so that his forward progress ends; or

(c) when a quarterback immediately drops to his knee (or simulates dropping to his knee) behind the line of scrimmage; or

(d) when a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet; or

Note: Defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as they would a runner who is down by contact.

(1) A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first slide. This does not mean that all contact by a defender is illegal. If a defender has already committed himself, and the contact is unavoidable, it is not a foul unless the defender commits some other act, such as helmet-to-helmet contact or by driving his forearm or shoulder into the head or neck area of the runner.

(2) A runner who desires to take advantage of this protection is responsible for starting his slide before contact by a defensive player is imminent; if he does not, and waits until the last moment to begin his slide, he puts himself in jeopardy of being contacted.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/07/14 01:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I zoomed to about 300%

web page

free....you are wrong...Kiko clocked Hoyer right in the side of his helmet.

Notice, the tip off is Hoyer chin strap being forced off of Hoyer's chin and over his mouth...because of the helmet to helmet contact.

In LB talk...Hoyer got earholed.

I still see a gap where his head hit the shoulder and from that point on the Hoyer's head goes away. As for Hoyer's helmet well that's just physics.

The force of being hit from the side while trying to go forward and downward made his head go one direction while the helmet wanted to go another. I've seen guys take solid hits in the chest and the helmet has popped off with no contact to the helmet.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season - 07/07/14 03:02 PM
My point was never intent, or even if Kiko hit Hoyer's helmet...

I'm just saying people that think a 200 pound guy landing on Hoyer has nothing to do with his ACL tearing are crazy...
© DawgTalkers.net