Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Surprised I didn't see this posted so if it's already being discussed please delete.

Bills' Kiko Alonso likely out for '14

ESPN.com Bills reporter Mike Rodak and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

The Buffalo Bills confirmed Wednesday that linebacker Kiko Alonso suffered a torn ACL in his left knee while working out in Oregon and will likely miss the 2014 season.

Bills general manager Doug Whaley said in a statement that Alonso would be scheduled for surgery "in the near future and begin a rehabilitation program at the appropriate time."

"We feel badly for Kiko because he has worked very hard this offseason in preparation for the upcoming season, but we look forward to his return with his style of play that made him one of the league's outstanding rookies in 2013," Whaley said in a statement.

A seven- to nine-month recovery is expected, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Oregon Ducks product played every defensive snap last season in his rookie year and ranked third in the NFL with 159 tackles.

Under new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Alonso was expected to shift from middle to weakside linebacker in Schwartz's 4-3 scheme. The team wanted to "free up" Alonso to make more plays from the outside of the formation and signed Brandon Spikes this offseason to replace Alonso at middle linebacker.

Alonso already was recovering from hip surgery this offseason. The procedure, to repair a torn labrum, was performed sometime in January, a league source told ESPN's Adam Caplan.

The Bills do have some depth behind Alonso.

Manny Lawson, an eight-year NFL veteran, has experience playing the position. The Bills also selected linebacker Preston Brown in the third round of the draft in April.

The Bills are off until July 18, when players are scheduled to report for the start of training camp in suburban Rochester.

Link

Karma's a bitch. That sound you hear is our Bills #1 draft pick clicking up a notch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
We're going to have a legit shot at two top ten picks.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Possibly two top 5 picks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'll settle for one

Joe Thomas #73
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

whose other 1st round pick are we getting because the Browns are making the playoffs!!!!

(it's July, if we cannot be optimistic this month, then we are lost)

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
There's a difference between optimistic and reality. Every year for the past 3 or I really believed that the Browns can with the AFC North and that hasn't changed this year, but I've been wrong every year as well.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

whose other 1st round pick are we getting because the Browns are making the playoffs!!!!

(it's July, if we cannot be optimistic this month, then we are lost)

Buffalo from a draft day trade

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

B
Legend
Legend
B
Tough break for the Bills and the player, but a potentially big break for us since we hold their 1st rounder next year..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Losing Kiko is hard. But I don't think this really effects their outcome on the season...

They will go as far as EJ, CJ, and Sammy take them.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sucks to see any player get hurt. Hope he heals up quick for them. His hit on Hoyer was legal, Hoyer didn't slide well.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
I didn't know hitting a sliding QB was legal...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Losing Kiko pales in comparison to the Bill's biggest loss. It was the loss of their defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Losing Kiko is hard. But I don't think this really effects their outcome on the season...

They will go as far as EJ, CJ, and Sammy take them.

Probably so, but I don't think losing a good MLB is insignificant.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Was it even a slide, or an awkward collapse that could have been deemed a slide by some?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It is when the QB doesn't slide till after the defensive player is going for the hit.

Hoyer should have slide sooner.

Kiko made contact before Hoyer's knee was down.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I dont even think kiko was the cause of the injury. That was horrible leg placement for that slide by hoyer. One reason i think a QB should not be allowed to slide but run it like a HB. If your gonna run it then run it. If you can't run it then throw it away.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think when Kiko rolled over Hoyer his knee slammed into the ground while twisting sideways. IMO that caused the injury. Had Kiko not him him causing that motion I doubt his ACL would have torn. But i'm no doctor.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

It is when the QB doesn't slide till after the defensive player is going for the hit.

But it is not legal to launch at him leading with the crown of your helmet, aiming for his head, as Alonso was. Hoyer was obviously going down, Alonso was clearly trying to do damage to him. The helmet to helmet wasn't even called, IIRC. Makes contact before his knee was down? BFD. It was a B.S. punk-ass move ala Harrison. As I stated earlier, Karma's a bitch.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But it is not legal to launch at him leading with the crown of your helmet, aiming for his head, as Alonso was. Hoyer was obviously going down, Alonso was clearly trying to do damage to him. The helmet to helmet wasn't even called, IIRC. Makes contact before his knee was down? BFD. It was a B.S. punk-ass move ala Harrison. As I stated earlier, Karma's a bitch.

Kiko was already committed to the hit before Hoyer's "slide". It was only Helmet to Helmet because Hoyer ducked down and brought his helmet to Kiko's level.

Quote:

Nevertheless, the league has confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that neither Gipson nor Alonso was fined and determined officials also were correct in not throwing penalty flags on the plays that hurt Hoyer and Manuel.

Nuff Said

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mind you I don't care about kiko one way or the other... watch the video again, when he went to tackle him Hoyer was still upright and he was aiming for his waist. Hoyer suddenly drops just as Kiko launches. There is no way Kiko could have stopped himself. We are literally talking less than a second to react here. Hoyer didn't run with the intention to slide. He slid as an after thought at the last possible second which is why his legs were in a very bad position when he slid. Hoyer caused his own injury IMHO. He should have braced for the hit or just ran out of bounds but he was too focused on getting that extra yard because he was trying to do too much and carry the team when they were struggling. I like that about him but it is what it is.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yeah, because the league is never wrong. The league's ruling and your opinion notwithstanding, and regardless of when Hoyer went into his slide, he launched head first, leading with the crown of his helmet. I stand by my statement.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yeah, because the league is never wrong. The league's ruling and your opinion notwithstanding, and regardless of when Hoyer went into his slide, he launched head first, leading with the crown of his helmet. I stand by my statement.

Looks more like his right shoulder to me. Take your Homer glasses off. It was a good hit, Hoyer should have never put himself in that position.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
It's not illegal to launch a helmet into someone's waist which is what he did. I stand by what I said. A LB can't stop or redirect his tackle in that short amount of time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First Gif

Looks like to me Kiko goes to aim for his chest with right shoulder/side of helmet, Hoyer tries to slide to late and it was incidental helmet to helmet.

Legend
Legend
Looks like a clean hit to me.

#GMSTRONG
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
His hands were at his side. He was launching with the crown of his helmet. Doesn't matter where he might have maybe, possibly, I think he could've, intended to hit. He made square helmet to helmet contact with a QB going into a slide. Take your Alonso lover blinders off and watch what actually happened, not what you think he might have been trying to do.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Absolutely looks like launching to me.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Your optimism is contagious.

#keepingitreal

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Take your Alonso lover blinders off and watch what actually happened, not what you think he might have been trying to do.

LOL, hardly know who the guy is. If a Browns player had done that and got fined you would be crying that it was a clean hit. Incidental H2H on a Running Back (because that is what Hoyer was at the time) is not cause for a penalty. Refs saw it that way, it was reviewed by the NFL and no fines were given out.

It's as simple as that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Contact with the shoulder first, not the Helmet.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

#keepingitreal

LOL What if we end up playing Buffalo in the AFC Championship game and we win then go on to the SB and win.. Then we'd have 2 of the last 4 picks in the draft....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

#keepingitreal

LOL What if we end up playing Buffalo in the AFC Championship game and we win then go on to the SB and win.. Then we'd have 2 of the last 4 picks in the draft....

I could live with that.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

#keepingitreal

I could live with that.

Oh Hell yeah,, So could I LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Was at that game. What REALLY bothers me is that there were 6 defenders around Hoyer and not one...not one....orange and brown jersey. I did not notice that specifically during the game. We need to address this if Manziel will be at the helm scrambling as he does so well.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think when Kiko rolled over Hoyer his knee slammed into the ground while twisting sideways. IMO that caused the injury. Had Kiko not him him causing that motion I doubt his ACL would have torn. But i'm no doctor.

If no one touches Hoyer, he slides down, stumbles, and rolls on the ground. He gets up and laughs off his terrible slide as teammates rib him for it...

But when you slide, and a 200 pound person lands on you, it kind of effects your bodies ability to take it...

Kiko did not intend to injure Hoyer, but his hit is the reason it happened, regardless of how good or bad Hoyers slide was...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It was an awkward slide with Hoyer's cleat stuck in the sod and it might have tweaked Hoyer's knee regardless (but a much less significant injury)... but then a 260 pound guy falls on you and both of your momentum carriers you over the knee before you can get your cleat free from the sod again and the injury happened.

Based on the pics, I don't think it was a dirty hit, or worthy of a penalty or a fine.. Helmet came in on the shoulder then the contact slid it up the shoulder to make contact with Hoyer's helmet..

Just an unfortunately series of events.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

His hands were at his side. He was launching with the crown of his helmet. Doesn't matter where he might have maybe, possibly, I think he could've, intended to hit. He made square helmet to helmet contact with a QB going into a slide. Take your Alonso lover blinders off and watch what actually happened, not what you think he might have been trying to do.

It was pretty funny to read this right after the posting of pictures that clearly show the exact opposite of what you so vehemently claim, heheh

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I zoomed in my browser and watched that gif on replay a dozen times and I actually don't think his helmet made contact with Hoyer's. It looks like all shoulders.

I zoomed to about 300%

web page

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season

Link Copied to Clipboard