DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:40 PM
Quote:
I want to thank the Cleveland Browns for giving me my opportunity and looking forward to seeing the change. Time for the next step.

https://twitter.com/garybarnidge/status/858014858486444032
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:41 PM
Dang, was hoping to see Njoku and Barnidge both. The youth movement continues...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:44 PM
i'm surprised by this. he probably requested it
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:45 PM
I was afraid that could happen. I don't like it, but I get it. I thought we might trade him. Disappointing.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:46 PM
Uhh.....damn I really thought we was gonna see some nasty two TE sets.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:48 PM
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:48 PM
why.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
I want to thank the Cleveland Browns for giving me my opportunity and looking forward to seeing the change. Time for the next step.

https://twitter.com/garybarnidge/status/858014858486444032

Wait, what?

Didn't see this coming. Like others have said, I thought we'd be in the two TE sets often.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
i'm surprised by this. he probably requested it

I'm not. Not because of Njoku but because he clearly isn't a top-end TE. He had one good year and some freak catches in 2015 when teams weren't paying attention to him. The minute they did, he was marginalized. Couple in the fact it's only $1.6MM in dead cap with three young TEs on the roster, it seemed somewhat inevitable.

Best of luck, Gary.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

That sucks for Gary. Seems like he was welcoming the kid with open arms. thumbsdown
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:54 PM
I was worried he would be a preseason cut. Still sad to see him go, but I'm sure he's happier to be released now than later. Maybe we got something for him though?
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:55 PM
he was a one hit wonder. good that they cut bait now if he isn't in the plans. I like Seth better than gary at this point.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 05:57 PM
This one hurts. Barnidge is a great guy and performed pretty well last year.

My only guess is that they don't want to take first team reps away from DeValve and Njoku in practice.

Crap.

EDIT

I would also like to say that Barnidge will be 32 in September and we save $2,187,500 in cutting him.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:04 PM
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
why.

Is this proof the Browns are totally opposed to ever getting better.

(nullifies the Njouku pick)

Barnidge is head and shoulders, and then some better than Seth DeValve.

in other news...

You know what the Steelers did, (besides making the playoffs perennially)...

The Steelers sid NOT release Ryan Shazier 12 hours after drafting T.J. Watt.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:06 PM
Quote:

I would also like to say that Barnidge will be 32 in September and we save $2,187,500 in cutting him.

This.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:08 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
why.

in other news...

That entire post is a joke, right?
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:10 PM
I said in the off season how the Browns needed to upgrade the TE position and most said TE was a not a position of need
I knew Barnidge was never going to peak after a productive
2015 season
He hit his ceiling.
He basically got his yards because the Browns had really no one to go in the offense
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:11 PM
Is the 2,187,000 a start to budget for the fact Osweiler might hang around since they whiffed on a QB last night?
I don't know.
What I know is, this isn't a calander day when players usually have to be cut.
So something must have changed since last night!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:17 PM
This is almost as bad as trading Trent Richardson!

Oh, wait...... Never mind.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
why.

in other news...

You do realize another long time player in a Browns uniform just went bye bye, without explanation, on a team with very few long time returning players, and he was arguably in the top 3-5 skill position offensive players on your team, Veteran Player,

And with the draft/aquisiton of one at his position,
HE is gone!

Show me the Joke! No it was not a joke.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:21 PM
why.

in other news...

You do realize another long time player in a Browns uniform just went bye bye, without explanation, on a team with very few long time returning players, and he was arguably in the top 3-5 skill position offensive players on your team, Veteran Player,

HE is gone!

The Cleveland Browns, where a guy who has been on the team for four seasons is a long time player.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:27 PM
Why anyone is surprised that we swapped out one of our oldest players is beyond me.

We are getting younger, so we can grow. A 32 year old TE doesn't grow. We now have a total of 4 players who are older then 28; Colquitt, Thomas, Greco, and Des Bryant. Bryant could be on his way out, especially if we draft another DL. Greco could be on his way our, with us having signed his replacement in Zeitler. A 32 year old P isn't a huge concern, and Joe Thomas is Joe Thomas.

Heck, we have only 4 guys who are 28. (Britt, Demario Davis, Haden, and Carder) I would be stunned if Carder is still on the team come opening day. I dunno about Davis either.

Times are a-changin' if you are an older player on the Cleveland Browns.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:28 PM
Sorry...can't get behind this move. Njoku, for all his potential, is still an unproven asset. We've seen very little of DeValve. So we cut a good all around TE?

This angers me.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:32 PM
Well, I'm surprised because we gave barnidge a decent contract.

And it would've been great to have a pro bowl TE and a guy with just drafted with pro bowl talent on the field together, at least for one season.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:33 PM
They gave Gary a good contract and he didn't play up to it. Man he killed so many drives last year with the ball bouncing off his chest. Hell there was a few where I don't know if he even got his hands on the ball that bounced off his head or chest. He really was horrible last year.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:36 PM
I'm surprised.

Character guy. Decent if not great. We might save some $$$ but it's a drop in the ocean compared to where our cap number is.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:38 PM
I dunno bro.

With just average QB play, he got to the pro bowl.

He's had some trash guys tossing him the rock the last few years. And last year specifically was a tough year for the entire O.

he was actually the last guy I thought about when complaining about our offense. I'm gonna miss him, and he would've helped groom our new TE cause now we lack experience at that position.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:47 PM
30+ year old players (not named Joe Thomas) on a rebuilding team should not expect longevity.

That's just the facts of NFL life.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg
Sorry...can't get behind this move. Njoku, for all his potential, is still an unproven asset. We've seen very little of DeValve. So we cut a good all around TE?

This angers me.

DeValve was already clearly better than Gary, in my opinion. Gary cannot block well anymore, and DeValve is much better as a receiver at this point and getting better.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 07:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
They gave Gary a good contract and he didn't play up to it. Man he killed so many drives last year with the ball bouncing off his chest. Hell there was a few where I don't know if he even got his hands on the ball that bounced off his head or chest. He really was horrible last year.

He wasn't the guy he was the year before, that's for sure. Barnidge dropped a lot of balls last year and struggled to get separation. He's 32. His best days are behind him.

It's sad to see cause he's a nice guy, but at least we let him go now and not later. Hopefully he can find himself a new team
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 07:14 PM
Is the 2,187,000 a start to budget for the fact Osweiler might hang around since they whiffed on a QB last night?
I don't know.

My guess is one of two things:

1. Barnidge requested it because he is older and it's getting to be a crowded room

2. The FO knows that Barn isn't in their plans for this year, so they are releasing him early so that he has a fair shot at catching on somewhere well before camps begin.

Both are fine and respectable.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 07:16 PM
Just stop! You're making too much sense! Do you realize where you're posting right now?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 07:18 PM
why.

Is this proof the Browns are totally opposed to ever getting better.That's NOT a joke?

Barnidge is head and shoulders, and then some better than Seth DeValve.And slower and older and can no longer block

in other news...

The Steelers sid NOT release Ryan Shazier 12 hours after drafting T.J. Watt. The joke is that you are comparing apples to oranges

HE is gone!

Peek at the bold and italics above. If not a joke, then it's a simply ridiculous take. I'm disappointed...but the sky is NOT falling here.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 07:23 PM
Gary has played behind some good TEs in his day. His age of 32 isn't like he's played every snap and his body has been taking a beating all these years.

But yeah, he's a fragile old man. Glad we cut him before his pacemaker gets put in.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 07:24 PM
Barnidge may be done.

This is a deep draft for TEs, and a 31 or 32 year old had a hard enough time finding work in the NFL as it is.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 07:30 PM
We could be looking at another TE in the draft or as an UDFA before the weekend is over.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 07:57 PM
Quote:
. The FO knows that Barn isn't in their plans for this year, so they are releasing him early so that he has a fair shot at catching on somewhere well before camps begin.

wonder if the coaching staff knew he wasnt in the plans....
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 08:01 PM
Thanks Gary You Will Be missed ... God Bless You thumbsup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Quote:
. The FO knows that Barn isn't in their plans for this year, so they are releasing him early so that he has a fair shot at catching on somewhere well before camps begin.

If this is the option that happened, I would bet that they did.
Despite our local media's regular attempts to paint a picture of discord in Berea between the coaches and the FO, I think that every move like this is a joint decision -- they're smart enough to not do things in a vacuum or "silos".
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Quote:

If this is the option that happened, I would bet that they did.
Despite our local media's regular attempts to paint a picture of discord in Berea between the coaches and the FO, I think that every move like this is a joint decision -- they're smart enough to not do things in a vacuum or "silos".

I completely feel the same way. I mean the reports of the Chicago coach not knowing about the trade/drafting Mitch was like, wow. I think we're not like that.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 09:15 PM
I was telling my brother that I wouldn't be surprised if Barnidge or Haden got traded on draft day.

Barnidge didn't fit Hue's system last year. He's 32 and we had 3 young tight ends last year that looked promising.

I really like the guy, but I saw this one coming.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 09:17 PM
Would have loved him to stay and help the youngins out and still contribute...good overachiever he was for us.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 09:23 PM
Sorry to see him go...I think his talent was a bit over rated. But he was a good Team mate and worked hard.
I thought he would be good for the kid Njuko but I guess we like DeValve a lot better than I thought we did!

jmho...Good luck Barnidge at least you got your one year pay day!
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 09:59 PM
Me, too. Something hit the fan and I missed it. Poser for me.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 10:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
he was a one hit wonder. good that they cut bait now if he isn't in the plans. I like Seth better than gary at this point.

I agree, and there is our 2 TE set. Two guys with some speed and good hands. Njoku is said to be a good blocker. I looked up his combine stats...4.6 speed and pushed the bar 22 times. He has the strength to be a good blocker.

That said, Gary was a good player for us. His playing days aren't over. He will find a home and help them.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/28/17 10:30 PM
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
I was telling my brother that I wouldn't be surprised if Barnidge or Haden got traded on draft day.

Barnidge didn't fit Hue's system last year. He's 32 and we had 3 young tight ends last year that looked promising.

I really like the guy, but I saw this one coming.

Well he was certainly under-utilized when compared to the previous season. TE was one of our "strong" points and IMO Hue didn't make full use of it.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/29/17 12:10 AM
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/29/17 01:07 AM
Class. Act.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/29/17 01:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Class. Act.

Absolutely.
Posted By: slick Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/29/17 02:48 AM
Stupid move in my opinion
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/29/17 03:14 AM
Hate to lose Barnidge. I do not like this move. For a team trying to claw their way back to respectability letting a talented player go just because you drafted another talented player I do not get. Do the Browns only allow so many talented players on the roster at one time?
Posted By: Cincy_Dawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/29/17 11:27 AM
Thanks Gary for your time here!
From a Class and Character standpoint I'm Sorry to see him go.
Barnidge has certainly been a work horse and always been a Team Guy!

But at 32 he certainly won't fit into Hue's style of Offense.
His speed, needed for separation, and blocking abilities just can't cut it anymore.
Young fresh bodies are the building blocks needed now.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/29/17 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I don't know.

My guess is one of two things:

1. Barnidge requested it because he is older and it's getting to be a crowded room

2. The FO knows that Barn isn't in their plans for this year, so they are releasing him early so that he has a fair shot at catching on somewhere well before camps begin.

Both are fine and respectable.

I think it's the second... While I don't like releasing him if you know he's not in your plans more decent to let him go early so that he can hopefully sign on with someone
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/29/17 09:59 PM
It also sounds like maybe he's going to retire. The way he thanked the Browns and it was time to move on. I hope he does retire and enjoy his life, he's earned it. Thanks Gary!
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/30/17 02:08 AM
Good luck Gary...you are a class act.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/30/17 02:16 AM
I don't agree w/cutting him. I think the guys we have at TE are raw and inexperienced. I have no problem w/moving on from Barnidge, but I would have kept him around for one more year to be the dependable one and a mentor.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/30/17 03:54 AM
Thats must have been a hard decision.
Telfer is basically a blocker and DeValve is a reciever playing TE.

The rook better be put on a fast track to fill Gary's shoes.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/30/17 07:53 AM
they have to like Devalve quite a bit too
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/30/17 12:32 PM
j/c...

What we all have to realize, Roster spots are at a premium this year. We are not going to carry excess, don't blame the Browns,
blame the NFL they should increase Rosters to 65!

jmho
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/30/17 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

What we all have to realize, Roster spots are at a premium this year. We are not going to carry excess, don't blame the Browns,
blame the NFL they should increase Rosters to 65!

jmho

Roster spots have always been a premium; not just this year. 53 is fine.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 04/30/17 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't agree w/cutting him. I think the guys we have at TE are raw and inexperienced. I have no problem w/moving on from Barnidge, but I would have kept him around for one more year to be the dependable one and a mentor.

Perfectly stated
Posted By: MrTed Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/01/17 12:12 AM
Definitely gonna miss this guy. Whether the other guys end up better or not, he was a bright spot for a while.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/01/17 03:34 PM
Yeah, I never liked the practice of letting guys go before you know that you've filled their shoes. We now have a TON of inexperience at the TE position.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/01/17 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Yeah, I never liked the practice of letting guys go before you know that you've filled their shoes. We now have a TON of inexperience at the TE position.

Those inexperienced guys also need reps.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/01/17 06:16 PM
It would be nice to see those new guys "earn their roster spot" on field, instead of having the front office guarantee them a roster spot by eliminating competition for a spot.

This idea that the picks of this front office are superior and deserve to be handed a roster spot is not how most teams build a roster of "studs".

Last season was a tip off that fair competition for roster spots is not how the new Browns do business, with all 14 draft picks making the roster...

JMO

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/01/17 07:01 PM
From the looks of Barnidge on the field last year, it looks more like he would have needed to earn that spot.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/01/17 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By: mac
It would be nice to see those new guys "earn their roster spot" on field, instead of having the front office guarantee them a roster spot by eliminating competition for a spot.

This idea that the picks of this front office are superior and deserve to be handed a roster spot is not how most teams build a roster of "studs".

Last season was a tip off that fair competition for roster spots is not how the new Browns do business, with all 14 draft picks making the roster...

JMO

Better get over that. It's not like the front office is releasing veterans that met expectations, they didn't come close, so they drafted a replacement. It's the NFL not a charity.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/01/17 07:39 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
From the looks of Barnidge on the field last year, it looks more like he would have needed to earn that spot.

he was our second leading reciever... makes you wonder about the talent kept over him...
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/01/17 08:05 PM
All 14 may have been kept initially, but I believe some were cut as time went on. I know Scooby Wright was..
Posted By: FargoFan Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/01/17 08:07 PM
I liked Barnidge. Was always a class act. If he doesn't retire, I hope he goes to contender. He deserves that.

Good Luck Gary!
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/02/17 02:23 PM
I know cause NO OTHER NFL team gives their rookies a HONEYMOON window to progress rolleyes
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/02/17 02:30 PM
The thing with TE's is they don't have complicated routs to learn, and most of their catches are quick hitting plays. If we thought his hands were good enough, he can step right in and play.

I see a lot of 2 TE sets. Both Njoku and DeValve can play in line of play outside. I see major mismatches with both on the field.

It will also open up our running game. Teams will have to move in to a nickle or even dime which should allow our line to bust open huge holes.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/02/17 04:36 PM
I wonder who will get the blame next year when all these positive thoughts don't come to fruition and reality sets in?

Hue?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/02/17 04:52 PM
Njoku, physically, is a direct comparison to Kellen Winslow, Jr..... except that Njoku's taller, more explosive, and can actually block.

For all the noise folks like rasta want to make about his drops - he had EIGHT over his last TWO SEASONS. That's it. Only Eight.

Combine Results

Njoku
6' 4", 246lbs
40: 4.64
Bench: 21 reps
Hands: 10"
Broad Jump: 133"
Vertical: 37.5"

Winslow
6' 3", 247lbs
40: 4.62
Bench: 24 reps
Hands: N/A
Broad Jump: 120"
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/02/17 04:54 PM
Quote:
Combine Results

Njoku
6' 4", 246lbs
40: 6.64
Bench: 21 reps
Hands: 10"
Broad Jump: 133"
Vertical: 37.5"

40: 4.64
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/02/17 04:54 PM
You got it! thumbsup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/02/17 04:55 PM
Yeah, I noticed the typo after I hit submit, lol laugh
Posted By: drobs Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/02/17 07:42 PM
I hope you are all right - don't know much about Njoku. However, I'd like to point out that KWII had some of the best hands we have had on this team in recent memory (ok, not a great pinnacle but still). i lost count of the times he and Jurevicius bailed out DA in that 10-6 season. If Njoku can live up to 80% of that billing, then I'd be thrilled. I thought KWII was a special player, such a shame frown

Hopefully we now have some mismatch weapons in DeValve and Njoku who can open up the running game. Virtuous versus vicious cycles. No KWII pun intended.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/02/17 09:08 PM
"In two seasons at Miami, he caught 64 passes for 1,060 yards and nine touchdowns. As a redshirt sophomore, he led ACC tight ends with 698 yards and eight touchdowns on 43 catches. Among Power Five tight ends, only Mississippi senior Evan Engram had more yards (926, on 65 catches). In Miami history, only Winslow (726 yards in 2002***) produced more in a single year.
He left Miami with two seasons of eligibility remaining. In doing so, he became one of the youngest players to enter the draft. Since 2007, when Houston made 19-year-old defensive end Amobi Okoye the youngest draft pick ever, one player was selected as a 20-year-old. Njoku turns 21 on July 10.

That age and ability are two reasons CBS Sports’ Dane Brugler reported one anonymous NFL tight end coach viewing Njoku as having “the most upside he’s ever seen in a TE prospect.”"

link

*** Winslow needed 57 receptions to hit that total, for an average of 12.7 ypc. Njoku averaged 16.2 ypc. Both players had 8 TD in their respective best seasons.

Winslows college career average was even lower at 11.5 ypc, while Njoku's was higher at 16.6 ypc.

His drops average 1 in every 9 targets (and has a 1:1 TD:Drop ratio, lol). That's not fantastic, but if he can give me 8 catches for 133 yds and 1 TD, I'll forgive that next ball, lol!

p.s. Njoku can jump like Winslow only wishes he could.... he was also a high jumper (2015 All-ACC 2nd Team, 2016; holds 2nd best high jump ever at Miami (FL))
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/03/17 05:31 PM
Barnidge visiting the Bills today
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/03/17 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

Best of luck to him! Bills be getting a good player on/off the field.
Posted By: FargoFan Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/03/17 09:26 PM
Barnidge will sign somewhere. I hope it's with a contender rather than a pretender. A class act like that deserves better.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/03/17 10:55 PM
I wonder who will get the blame next year when all these positive thoughts don't come to fruition and reality sets in?

Hue?

Nah...its going to be All your fault for that negative vibe... lol laugh
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/04/17 08:25 AM
Originally Posted By: FargoFan
Barnidge will sign somewhere. I hope it's with a contender rather than a pretender. A class act like that deserves better.

I agree.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/07/17 06:26 PM
Hope you are right, play action passes of run fake should could be sweet with two TE on field and Cory out wide- time will tell. Go Browns!!! Wonder if Barnidge release is all age and injuries- moneyball at work.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/08/17 04:51 PM
I believe the concept is an easy one to understand. It's going to be two years before we have any hope of possibly competing for the AFC North ort any real shot at a SB, at best.

So the question at that stage becomes, is a 34 year old Barnidge going to be a better option than a 23 year old Njoku?

If you don't see Barnidge in your future plans, it seems like an easy decision.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/08/17 05:38 PM
Agree, wonder/hope a 20yr body doesn't get destroyed by guys in their prime-young man is big and strong-BUT now he gets hit by every big/strong guy....time will tell/ hope he stays somewhat healthy.....GO Browns!!!
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/08/17 05:42 PM
I believe the concept is an easy one to understand. It's going to be two years before we have any hope of possibly competing for the AFC North ort any real shot at a SB, at best.

So the question at that stage becomes, is a 34 year old Barnidge going to be a better option than a 23 year old Njoku?

I have a bad feeling we will next say that about D Bryant
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/08/17 05:43 PM
And that's the thing. While injury is a constant threat to any and all NFL players careers, I don't believe that a FO or coach can move forward with a teams plans with that thought in mind. IMO you have to make plans with the information at hand and let the chips fall where they may. You have that pesky "53 man roster" limitation and all plans must revolve around that I believe.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/08/17 05:45 PM
I would say that's the most likely scenario. It's a move that will be questioned by some fans but when looking at the big picture for the team moving forward I would certainly understand the logic behind it.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/08/17 06:27 PM

We just drafted 2 3TDT. If the 6th rounder is acquitted, Bryant is history. He very well could be anyway.

A team that was 1-15 a year ago, and which is committed to youth, is not going to hang onto an older DL coming off of surgery. It makes no sense.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/08/17 10:37 PM
Very Probable...who knows but if so its because he is 32? and has suffered injuries over the last several years.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/08/17 10:39 PM
Those things have to be a factor in the outcome.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 01:11 AM

Pit.........you know I respect you, but I disagree w/this logic.

I think it is imperative to win some games. Losing a ton of games is not healthy for any team.

Additionally, having inferior players on the field retards the development and performance of other players.

I am NOT saying to keep all aging vets, but having a few to lead the way and be reliable players that will help others be better players is smart.

Cutting guys because you don't think you'll win the Super Bowl this year is illogical in my opinion.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 01:12 PM
Comes back to a theme I've been expounding here and there. With the Roster limited to 53...players like Barnidge and yes, Bryant, are limited to stick around and provide that Veteran leadership. We have loaded up on a lot of young talent and we wish to keep as many on the 53 roster as possible.

Also, Njoku will not be replacing Barnidge. Njoku will be a TE/WR and will stay away from the Box.
Devalve btw is going to take Barnidge's role. He has Bulked up to 260 up from last years playing weight of 240. He wants to contribute as our blocking TE and that is the most important virtue...Willing to block. Its not Rocket Science stuff its just a will to block and a will to dedicate oneself. I think he has better hands and speed than Barnidge. I think that is why they decided to let Barnidge go.

We got younger...but we just might of gotten better as well!
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

We just drafted 2 3TDT. If the 6th rounder is acquitted, Bryant is history. He very well could be anyway.

A team that was 1-15 a year ago, and which is committed to youth, is not going to hang onto an older DL coming off of surgery. It makes no sense.

I would add that X Cooper is better suited as a 3TDT and has been miscast since being drafted. (Qualifier: I did not personally make that observation. I'm far from being 'that' guy. I've learned a lot on this board about what-is a 3TDT and have read comments all over the net that XC is much more a 3TDT than anything he's played since coming here.)
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 01:22 PM
I guess he was miscast in college then? He played 3-4 DE (at a very high level) at Washington State
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 01:23 PM

I think it is imperative to win some games. Losing a ton of games is not healthy for any team.

Additionally, having inferior players on the field retards the development and performance of other players.

I am NOT saying to keep all aging vets, but having a few to lead the way and be reliable players that will help others be better players is smart.

Cutting guys because you don't think you'll win the Super Bowl this year is illogical in my opinion.

I agree with what you are saying but I DO see the logic in it. I didn't like GB getting cut and I won't like DB getting cut if that happens.

If we were a potential playoff team this year - or maybe even next year - I couldn't see the logic in cutting a better (potentially) player like Des. But Des has one or two good years left in him - if he's lucky. He may be better 'right now' than the other guy(s), but if we keep Des and cut the other guy, then we have neither guy two years from now when we are ready to compete. I'm still not sure I agree with that logic because all we can control is 'the right now'. Who knows what next year will bring?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 01:30 PM
I guess he was miscast in college then? He played 3-4 DE (at a very high level) at Washington State

Interesting. I don't remember him doing much in our 3-4. Maybe he is still figuring that out.

Like I said, I didn't personally come up with that observation...but I've read it more than a few times and his ability to get off the line and penetrate is the reason why so many people have said he's better suited as a 3TDT than anything he's played here.

Those explanations made sense to me...but I'm limited in making that kind of evaluation. Do you see him differently? Do you see him as a DE in the 4-3?
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 02:20 PM
no, I definitely agree with you that his best shot is at 3T in our defense. He has great quickness off the snap but in the pros he's been unable to turn that into anything useful. I'm disappointed as much as anyone because I was a big fan of his coming out in the draft and thought it was a coup we were able to get him at almost pick 100. He has a special get-off and athleticism but he hasn't been able to turn that into the power needed to play the position. With Ogunjobi being drafted in the third, I think it's unlikely Cooper makes the team if Brantley ends up being cleared.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 07:38 PM

I believe we have a miscommunication here. And after a second look at my post, I believe that it's my fault. lol

I'm not advocating this strategy. However, from what I perceive that I'm seeing, I believe that's the strategy they are implementing.

In another thread you spoke about how important it is to win some games to help change the culture. That only by turning things around and start winning some game can accomplish that.

I couldn't possibly agree more.

I don't believe shipping off players like Barnidge and Bryant help achieve that goal. They are good veteran players that could be critical in helping develop the young talent being drafted. It could be critical in having average or above starters while young talent develops.

I may understand what I believe they're doing, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I hope that helps clear things up Bud.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 11:22 PM

I believe we have a miscommunication here. And after a second look at my post, I believe that it's my fault. lol

I'm not advocating this strategy. However, from what I perceive that I'm seeing, I believe that's the strategy they are implementing.

In another thread you spoke about how important it is to win some games to help change the culture. That only by turning things around and start winning some game can accomplish that.

I couldn't possibly agree more.

I don't believe shipping off players like Barnidge and Bryant help achieve that goal. They are good veteran players that could be critical in helping develop the young talent being drafted. It could be critical in having average or above starters while young talent develops.

I may understand what I believe they're doing, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I hope that helps clear things up Bud.

i was wondering too lol
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/09/17 11:48 PM
My bad, Pit.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/10/17 12:51 AM
Quote:

Isn't it the coaches job to develop talent ? Veterans don't always help the rooks. Not saying they don't. But I'm pretty sure Veterans don't develop the young guys talent.. They help in some aspects of the game... But not developing the talent..

If it was as easy as paying older vets to get talent of a young player.. Then don't have coaches.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/10/17 05:20 PM
My bad, Pit.

Actually I think this was more my fault. I didn't actually make that very clear. I can see how confusing that may have been.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/10/17 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg

Isn't it the coaches job to develop talent ? Veterans don't always help the rooks. Not saying they don't. But I'm pretty sure Veterans don't develop the young guys talent.. They help in some aspects of the game... But not developing the talent..

If it was as easy as paying older vets to get talent of a young player.. Then don't have coaches.

You have a 53 man roster with a much smaller coaching staff. I believe if you look around the NFL at young teams, they will have at least some veteran leadership in each grouping of players. Such as the OL, TE's, WR's, secondary and so forth. I believe these coaching staffs have some reasoning for that.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/12/17 03:09 PM
The roster as it stands
So here’s what the Browns currently have on the roster:
Kenny Britt: 104 games, 309 catches.
James Wright: 24 games, 18 catches.
Ricardo Louis: 16 games, 18 catches.
Rashard Higgins: 16 games, 6 catches.
Corey Coleman: 10 games, 33 catches.
Jordan Payton: 4 games, 1 catch.
Mario Alford: 4 games, 0 catches.
Josh Boyce: 3 games, 9 catches.
Rannell Hall: 1 game, 0 catches.
Jordan Leslie: 0 games, 0 catches.

---------------------------

and we get rid of our leading pass catchers? brilliant!!!!
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/12/17 05:55 PM
The roster as it stands

Is there a correlation between having a leading pass catcher and the number of wins a team has?

We are a young team. Barnridge fell off hard last year. We upgraded the TE position (arguable I know) in my eyes.
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/12/17 06:09 PM
The roster as it stands

Who did we get rid of? Don't say Pryor, he left on his own, we didn't get rid of anybody.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/12/17 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
The roster as it stands

Who did we get rid of? Don't say Pryor, he left on his own, we didn't get rid of anybody.

pryor came back from the skins with a 1 year deal in his hand. the fo CHOSE not to match. the FO CHOSE not to do the original offer...

the fo cut our second leading pass catcher...

just facts.
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/12/17 07:42 PM
we didn't match because of the FACT that Pryor wanted a 1 year deal and we wanted a long term deal. No Deal, Pryor's choice.

Edit: We didn't cut anybody
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/12/17 08:28 PM
we didn't match because of the FACT that Pryor wanted a 1 year deal and we wanted a long term deal. No Deal, Pryor's choice.

Edit: We didn't cut anybody

want to pretend the FO had no choice go ahead lol

want to pretend barnidge wasnt cut go ahead lmao
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/12/17 09:18 PM
The FO has a plan, which is a long term plan with the players they want to sign. I guess we should just throw that out the window and show all our players how we can be strung along and get our own way? Yeah thats the plan. I thought we were discussing the WR's? Not the TE's.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/12/17 10:02 PM
The FO has a plan, which is a long term plan with the players they want to sign. I guess we should just throw that out the window and show all our players how we can be strung along and get our own way? Yeah thats the plan. I thought we were discussing the WR's? Not the TE's.

this is a barnidge thread right... i said our leading pass catchers right?
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: Browns Release Gary Barnidge - 05/12/17 10:08 PM
Yes you did, sorry, I miss read it.
© DawgTalkers.net