Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

Best of luck to him! Bills be getting a good player on/off the field.

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
Barnidge will sign somewhere. I hope it's with a contender rather than a pretender. A class act like that deserves better.

And the next head coach is ......
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I wonder who will get the blame next year when all these positive thoughts don't come to fruition and reality sets in?

Hue?

Nah...its going to be All your fault for that negative vibe... lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: FargoFan
Barnidge will sign somewhere. I hope it's with a contender rather than a pretender. A class act like that deserves better.

I agree.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Hope you are right, play action passes of run fake should could be sweet with two TE on field and Cory out wide- time will tell. Go Browns!!! Wonder if Barnidge release is all age and injuries- moneyball at work.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe the concept is an easy one to understand. It's going to be two years before we have any hope of possibly competing for the AFC North ort any real shot at a SB, at best.

So the question at that stage becomes, is a 34 year old Barnidge going to be a better option than a 23 year old Njoku?

If you don't see Barnidge in your future plans, it seems like an easy decision.

Last edited by PitDAWG; 05/08/17 01:04 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Agree, wonder/hope a 20yr body doesn't get destroyed by guys in their prime-young man is big and strong-BUT now he gets hit by every big/strong guy....time will tell/ hope he stays somewhat healthy.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I believe the concept is an easy one to understand. It's going to be two years before we have any hope of possibly competing for the AFC North ort any real shot at a SB, at best.

So the question at that stage becomes, is a 34 year old Barnidge going to be a better option than a 23 year old Njoku?

I have a bad feeling we will next say that about D Bryant

P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's the thing. While injury is a constant threat to any and all NFL players careers, I don't believe that a FO or coach can move forward with a teams plans with that thought in mind. IMO you have to make plans with the information at hand and let the chips fall where they may. You have that pesky "53 man roster" limitation and all plans must revolve around that I believe.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would say that's the most likely scenario. It's a move that will be questioned by some fans but when looking at the big picture for the team moving forward I would certainly understand the logic behind it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

We just drafted 2 3TDT. If the 6th rounder is acquitted, Bryant is history. He very well could be anyway.

A team that was 1-15 a year ago, and which is committed to youth, is not going to hang onto an older DL coming off of surgery. It makes no sense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Very Probable...who knows but if so its because he is 32? and has suffered injuries over the last several years.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Those things have to be a factor in the outcome.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

Pit.........you know I respect you, but I disagree w/this logic.

I think it is imperative to win some games. Losing a ton of games is not healthy for any team.

Additionally, having inferior players on the field retards the development and performance of other players.

I am NOT saying to keep all aging vets, but having a few to lead the way and be reliable players that will help others be better players is smart.

Cutting guys because you don't think you'll win the Super Bowl this year is illogical in my opinion.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Comes back to a theme I've been expounding here and there. With the Roster limited to 53...players like Barnidge and yes, Bryant, are limited to stick around and provide that Veteran leadership. We have loaded up on a lot of young talent and we wish to keep as many on the 53 roster as possible.

Also, Njoku will not be replacing Barnidge. Njoku will be a TE/WR and will stay away from the Box.
Devalve btw is going to take Barnidge's role. He has Bulked up to 260 up from last years playing weight of 240. He wants to contribute as our blocking TE and that is the most important virtue...Willing to block. Its not Rocket Science stuff its just a will to block and a will to dedicate oneself. I think he has better hands and speed than Barnidge. I think that is why they decided to let Barnidge go.

We got younger...but we just might of gotten better as well!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

We just drafted 2 3TDT. If the 6th rounder is acquitted, Bryant is history. He very well could be anyway.

A team that was 1-15 a year ago, and which is committed to youth, is not going to hang onto an older DL coming off of surgery. It makes no sense.

I would add that X Cooper is better suited as a 3TDT and has been miscast since being drafted. (Qualifier: I did not personally make that observation. I'm far from being 'that' guy. I've learned a lot on this board about what-is a 3TDT and have read comments all over the net that XC is much more a 3TDT than anything he's played since coming here.)

Legend
Legend
I guess he was miscast in college then? He played 3-4 DE (at a very high level) at Washington State

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I think it is imperative to win some games. Losing a ton of games is not healthy for any team.

Additionally, having inferior players on the field retards the development and performance of other players.

I am NOT saying to keep all aging vets, but having a few to lead the way and be reliable players that will help others be better players is smart.

Cutting guys because you don't think you'll win the Super Bowl this year is illogical in my opinion.

I agree with what you are saying but I DO see the logic in it. I didn't like GB getting cut and I won't like DB getting cut if that happens.

If we were a potential playoff team this year - or maybe even next year - I couldn't see the logic in cutting a better (potentially) player like Des. But Des has one or two good years left in him - if he's lucky. He may be better 'right now' than the other guy(s), but if we keep Des and cut the other guy, then we have neither guy two years from now when we are ready to compete. I'm still not sure I agree with that logic because all we can control is 'the right now'. Who knows what next year will bring?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
I guess he was miscast in college then? He played 3-4 DE (at a very high level) at Washington State

Interesting. I don't remember him doing much in our 3-4. Maybe he is still figuring that out.

Like I said, I didn't personally come up with that observation...but I've read it more than a few times and his ability to get off the line and penetrate is the reason why so many people have said he's better suited as a 3TDT than anything he's played here.

Those explanations made sense to me...but I'm limited in making that kind of evaluation. Do you see him differently? Do you see him as a DE in the 4-3?

Legend
Legend
no, I definitely agree with you that his best shot is at 3T in our defense. He has great quickness off the snap but in the pros he's been unable to turn that into anything useful. I'm disappointed as much as anyone because I was a big fan of his coming out in the draft and thought it was a coup we were able to get him at almost pick 100. He has a special get-off and athleticism but he hasn't been able to turn that into the power needed to play the position. With Ogunjobi being drafted in the third, I think it's unlikely Cooper makes the team if Brantley ends up being cleared.

P
Legend
Legend
P

I believe we have a miscommunication here. And after a second look at my post, I believe that it's my fault. lol

I'm not advocating this strategy. However, from what I perceive that I'm seeing, I believe that's the strategy they are implementing.

In another thread you spoke about how important it is to win some games to help change the culture. That only by turning things around and start winning some game can accomplish that.

I couldn't possibly agree more.

I don't believe shipping off players like Barnidge and Bryant help achieve that goal. They are good veteran players that could be critical in helping develop the young talent being drafted. It could be critical in having average or above starters while young talent develops.

I may understand what I believe they're doing, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I hope that helps clear things up Bud.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

I believe we have a miscommunication here. And after a second look at my post, I believe that it's my fault. lol

I'm not advocating this strategy. However, from what I perceive that I'm seeing, I believe that's the strategy they are implementing.

In another thread you spoke about how important it is to win some games to help change the culture. That only by turning things around and start winning some game can accomplish that.

I couldn't possibly agree more.

I don't believe shipping off players like Barnidge and Bryant help achieve that goal. They are good veteran players that could be critical in helping develop the young talent being drafted. It could be critical in having average or above starters while young talent develops.

I may understand what I believe they're doing, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I hope that helps clear things up Bud.

i was wondering too lol

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
My bad, Pit.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Isn't it the coaches job to develop talent ? Veterans don't always help the rooks. Not saying they don't. But I'm pretty sure Veterans don't develop the young guys talent.. They help in some aspects of the game... But not developing the talent..

If it was as easy as paying older vets to get talent of a young player.. Then don't have coaches.

P
Legend
Legend
P
My bad, Pit.

Actually I think this was more my fault. I didn't actually make that very clear. I can see how confusing that may have been.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg

Isn't it the coaches job to develop talent ? Veterans don't always help the rooks. Not saying they don't. But I'm pretty sure Veterans don't develop the young guys talent.. They help in some aspects of the game... But not developing the talent..

If it was as easy as paying older vets to get talent of a young player.. Then don't have coaches.

You have a 53 man roster with a much smaller coaching staff. I believe if you look around the NFL at young teams, they will have at least some veteran leadership in each grouping of players. Such as the OL, TE's, WR's, secondary and so forth. I believe these coaching staffs have some reasoning for that.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The roster as it stands
So here’s what the Browns currently have on the roster:
Kenny Britt: 104 games, 309 catches.
James Wright: 24 games, 18 catches.
Ricardo Louis: 16 games, 18 catches.
Rashard Higgins: 16 games, 6 catches.
Corey Coleman: 10 games, 33 catches.
Jordan Payton: 4 games, 1 catch.
Mario Alford: 4 games, 0 catches.
Josh Boyce: 3 games, 9 catches.
Rannell Hall: 1 game, 0 catches.
Jordan Leslie: 0 games, 0 catches.

---------------------------

and we get rid of our leading pass catchers? brilliant!!!!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
The roster as it stands

Is there a correlation between having a leading pass catcher and the number of wins a team has?

We are a young team. Barnridge fell off hard last year. We upgraded the TE position (arguable I know) in my eyes.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The roster as it stands

Who did we get rid of? Don't say Pryor, he left on his own, we didn't get rid of anybody.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
The roster as it stands

Who did we get rid of? Don't say Pryor, he left on his own, we didn't get rid of anybody.

pryor came back from the skins with a 1 year deal in his hand. the fo CHOSE not to match. the FO CHOSE not to do the original offer...

the fo cut our second leading pass catcher...

just facts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
we didn't match because of the FACT that Pryor wanted a 1 year deal and we wanted a long term deal. No Deal, Pryor's choice.

Edit: We didn't cut anybody

Last edited by bleednbrown; 05/12/17 03:43 PM.

#GMSTRONG

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
we didn't match because of the FACT that Pryor wanted a 1 year deal and we wanted a long term deal. No Deal, Pryor's choice.

Edit: We didn't cut anybody

want to pretend the FO had no choice go ahead lol

want to pretend barnidge wasnt cut go ahead lmao

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The FO has a plan, which is a long term plan with the players they want to sign. I guess we should just throw that out the window and show all our players how we can be strung along and get our own way? Yeah thats the plan. I thought we were discussing the WR's? Not the TE's.

#GMSTRONG

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The FO has a plan, which is a long term plan with the players they want to sign. I guess we should just throw that out the window and show all our players how we can be strung along and get our own way? Yeah thats the plan. I thought we were discussing the WR's? Not the TE's.

this is a barnidge thread right... i said our leading pass catchers right?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yes you did, sorry, I miss read it.

#GMSTRONG

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Release Gary Barnidge

Link Copied to Clipboard