DawgTalkers.net
https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-want-players-earn-helmet-031938818.html

In a move reminiscent of college football’s helmet stickers, the Cleveland Browns are enacting a protocol for “earning” the stripes on their helmets.

According to the team’s website, head coach Hue Jackson intends on withholding the stripes atop players orange helmets until they’ve made the 53-man roster.

“There’s a certain way that the Cleveland Browns have to play and we’re going to earn our stripes,” Jackson said.

The Browns have been practicing without the stripes on their helmet this offseason.

Ohio State gives out buckeyes on their helmets to reward certain achievements. Arkansas has hog heads, Florida State has tomahawks and Clemson has paws. Temple reserves single digit numbers for team leaders and Nebraska issues black jerseys for their starting defensive members in practice.

While the Browns plan isn’t exactly the same thing as done by college teams, it serves as an achievement for players to “earn.”

It remains unclear just to what extent the practice will be employed. NFL uniform rules likely won’t allow the team to go without the stripes on their helmets during preseason games. Additionally, does it mean that players on the practice squad will practice without the stripes on their helmet until, or if, they get promoted to the active roster?

While the full implementation of the plan is still a bit unclear, the idea of using it as motivation is evident.

“The guys that put them on their helmets that get a chance to wear them, it’s going to be because they demonstrate the characteristics that we’re looking for in Cleveland Browns players,” Jackson said. “That’s the way we’re going to play and conduct ourselves and go out and win football games.”
Didn't we try something like that under Mike Pettine? Something about handing out dawgbones for good plays?

It didn't work to well in the past but maybe it will this time with the rookies.
Not a fan. This seems gimmicky. What, like 80-85% percent of the 53 man roster is already set. To me, earning a hefty salary should be incentive enough to make a roster....not a stripe.

This isn't high school or college.
I’m sure earning the stripe will be a huge motivator to make the team ... rofl ...
1-31 team should play with white helmets and uniforms....

Maybe a big turd has the symbol, so they all can remind what they have done this past seasons.
Originally Posted By: savagedawgs
Didn't we try something like that under Mike Pettine? Something about handing out dawgbones for good plays?

It didn't work to well in the past but maybe it will this time with the rookies.

Pettine's motivational tactic was that the winning side between the offense and defense got to wear the camo jersey the next day at practice.
I wonder what came first.....

Baker Mayfield saying that he needs to earn his stripes in the logo coloring excercise and the Browns adopting the practice after the fact or the other way around?

[video:youtube]http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-brow...-new-team-logos[/video]

Skip to 2:25
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’m sure earning the stripe will be a huge motivator to make the team ... rofl ...

Especially if it's on the front of a paycheck...
I am shocked that none of our 900 previous coaches have tried this gimmick before. If it even helps a little bit, I am all for it.

Are the players going to play sans stripes during preseason games?
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Are the players going to play sans stripes during preseason games?

That certainly would be interesting to see. I mean, they'd have to right? Or is that considered a uniform violation from the NFL?
There's a joke in here somewhere about Gregg Williams and earning your stripes...
Sounds like a gimmick.
I hate gimmicks.... just line up and play like it's your job.
I am shocked that you guys hate the idea. Who would ever have thought that you would criticize Hue for something so trivial?
It's a lot like college ... where guys earn stars, or buckeyes, for their play.

I can see it being a motivator. It also evens everyone out a bit, saying that everyone has to earn their way onto the roster. (even though we already know a lot of what the final roster will look like)
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Sounds like a gimmick.

Yes, it is a gimmick, but I don't see it as a big issue.
It probably is a bit of a gimmick, but I don't see what the problem is, other than presenting an opportunity to bash Hue.
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
[Yes, it is a gimmick, but I don't see it as a big issue.

Agreed
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am shocked that you guys hate the idea. Who would ever have thought that you would criticize Hue for something so trivial?
\

So many people on this thread have a Hue agenda. THE MADNESS!!!

Why can't a bad idea to some simply just be a bad idea?
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Sounds like a gimmick.

Yes, it is a gimmick, but I don't see it as a big issue.

Agreed

A gimmick can be a motivational tool if used properly.

Even if it might only be helpful to the young players and rookies. The Vets go along for the greater good of the team, because I think they have most likely had discussions on the topic.
I kind of like this

I guess it can be looked at as gimmicky but I also think it can be looked as pride in being a Cleveland Brown and pride in being a part of a storied franchise. Its like sayig if you want to have the same stripe on your helmet that Jim Brown wore , then damn it you have to earn it
J/c

This is useless information and me just being picky.

The writer did a terrible job with his example. This is nothing like “buckeye stickers”. The Buckeye leaves are for game performance...individual and team effort.

If he wanted to make an OSU comparison, it should’ve been the use of the black stripe.

Incoming Freshman and transfers have to wear a black stripe starting from Day 1. Once they have earned it through practices and lifting, the stripe is removed they are a “Buckeye”.
The NFL has fined players over their socks. lmao

I'd bet anyone that come pre season, every player on the field will be wearing the same helmet.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It probably is a bit of a gimmick, but I don't see what the problem is, other than presenting an opportunity to bash Hue.

No, it isn't an opportunity to bash Hue.
It's an instance of voicing my disagreement with the announcement and promotion of a gimmick. We don't need to know, we don't even need to discuss, and it doesn't inherently lend itself to making the Browns a better football team - it's the definition of fluff, and disagreeing with something is not the same as bashing no matter how much you want it to be so.

This is akin to Butch Davis redecorating the locker rooms - just another "Dead Zone" snippet of things that don't matter.
Bingo.
Maybe we could give them out for scoring, tackling, interceptions,, whatever. Can't imagine anybody hypnotized by this shiny gimmick too much IMO.

Do your job.
pretty sure most teams do something like this.. i remember reading that at one point when they were talking about the dog tags or whatever it was... the camo cloths too.

anything to help motivation and competion... just saying nothing wrong with it...
I wasn't saying you were taking the opportunity, but Memphis and cfrs sure did.
Pretty sure that Dallas did this with their Star in years past. I don't know if they are still doing it. It didn't get much press then. But it's the Browns so must be something wrong with it.

Apparently it still a thing in Big D . Just for the rookies but it's essentially the same motivator. When you're 1-31 probably wise that everybody earn it.
Fixing the stripe? Does this help them beat Pittsburgh? No.

So it's a non starter.
Sounds kind of rinky dink to me.

A talking point for the Hard Knocks crowd. "You got to earn your stripes, men".
Its not that there's something wrong with it because the Browns did it. Its just that its dumb. The stripe on the Browns helmet isn't especially iconic, or particular to the Browns. If you want to institute a uniform policy that puts a PB decal on the back of the helmet for players who achieved some measure of performance, that commemorates Paul Brown, I'd think that's pretty cool. But this is just window dressing and PR gimmickry, and the players are smart enough to recognize it as such. They know that if they are on the field for preseason or opening day that their helmet will have a stripe, because the NFL has traditionally fined them for the smallest uniform variance.
If a PB sticker isn't bush league and a Star isn't bush league it doesn't compute to me that the helmet stripe is any different. The stripe is emblematic of this club simply because there is no logo. The symbol of full fledged membership could be anything, it's arbitrary in my opinion. Its the representation of belonging that matters.
I'm totally ambivalent about this. Don't care.
Because the players know that the stripe will be there when they take the field, regardless of their practice performance. NFL uniform rules would dictate that if any player has a helmet stripe, then they all must have a helmet stripe. That's why they call it "a uniform". I actually don't know if NFL teams can award decorative decals based on performance, but I suspect they cannot. Its probably a non-issue.
Quoted a part of that article...

Here's What Will Be Missing at Cowboys Rookie Camp This Week

Later this week the Cowboys will hold Rookie Camp at The Star in Frisco. But here's something the Cowboys' rookies won't find during their first official offseason work as an NFL player: a helmet with a blue star. They also won't be wearing full pads or have the opportunity for 'live contact', so there's no chance to make an early impression on a coach with a slobber-knocking tackle or pancake block.

As for the star-less helmets, the Cowboys' blue star is something that has to be earned.

"The star is very important to us," says head coach Jason Garrett. "The star is an international symbol. It's the Dallas football Cowboys. And the players hear me say that a lot. The star means something. This team has been around for more than 55 years, and it's a great tradition. You have to earn the right to wear that star, and we're very clear with the players about that. Just because you sign with the Dallas Cowboys doesn't mean you earned that thing yet."

Rookies won't earn the star on their helmet until they make the roster. It doesn't matter if a rookie is a highly touted first-round draft pick, or an undrafted free agent. When preseason games roll around, the equipment staff will stick a blue star on a rookies' helmet, but by the time that rookie is back on the practice field at training camp, the star is gone.

The tradition of "earning the star" started long before Garrett took over as head coach. When Bill Parcells arrived at Valley Ranch in 2003, first round pick Terrence Newman and other rookies like Jason Witten and Tony Romo were star-less. Of course, each of those players went on to outstanding careers.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Yeah, it's like when Mike use to hand out dawg bones.

These dudes are at the highest level of football, if that's not motivation enough then I'd hope they wouldn't be a part of the team.
Quote:
Because the players know that the stripe will be there when they take the field, regardless of their practice performance.

Yes, at some point if you still have a helmet, it will have stripes on it.. that's a given..

I have serious doubts about whether this will have any impact on effort or performance during camp but whatever..
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

These dudes are at the highest level of football, if that's not motivation enough then I'd hope they wouldn't be a part of the team.

I agree with you logically, but it's still cool to have some fun stuff at work.

Like cake in the break room in the office or employee of the month, etc, just a little something to compliment the players doing well.
It is more of a "right of passage." the stripe comes when you make the 53
IMO they're doing this for hard knocks. It's another time filler for the show.....who earned their stripes this week?
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
It is more of a "right of passage." the stripe comes when you make the 53

Yet I don't believe that will work. The NFL has strict uniform guidelines. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, NFL players have gotten fined for even wearing different socks. Now this may work to achieve certain goals in training camp, but when NFL players take the field, the uniforms must be the same.

That would include pre-season. So every player would have to wear stripes on their helmets during pre-season which is long before the roster is cut down to 53 players.
Originally Posted By: myka

I agree with you logically, but it's still cool to have some fun stuff at work.

Like cake in the break room in the office or employee of the month, etc, just a little something to compliment the players doing well.

Ehhh... when you put it like that, how can one not agree? Point made and accepted thumbsup
That is why I think it a rinky dink move.
Except a employee of the month singles out one person. Nobody gets their stripes until they make the final roster.

I don't see it as a motivational tool at all. Not getting fired is the motivation for the players.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Except a employee of the month singles out one person. Nobody gets their stripes until they make the final roster.

I don't see it as a motivational tool at all. Not getting fired is the motivation for the players.

Lol, I'd hate to be your employee! :-P Just jokin' around.

Positive reinforcement has it's place in management.

Why yell at 52 players, when you can just give 1 a compliment?

While I agree, once 20 or so guys get their stripes it probably won't matter, but the first bunch? If it were me it would mean a lot.

Like, you expect all the stars of the team to get them, like Garrett, Gordan, etc.

Now I'm Howard Wilson, I put together a great day at camp, and I'm the 15th guy to get my stripe. I feel really good walking out on the field at practice that day.

I highly doubt it makes the difference between someone making the team or not, BUT WHY NOT make them feel good when they do something?

They are NFL players, but they are also 20-27 year old humans.
Meh. I was a jocks jock til I couldn't anymore. Martial arts, Football, Basketball, and Track.

For me it was only, and only about being better than the other guy/team.

Beating the guys that where the best before me, made me want to beat them even more.

Even when I was fighting for money (rough house boxing). I would have done it for free.

So "pride" being key here I think. I would have killed myself trying to earn that stripe.

Then wore as a badge of honor...at least for me that how I attacked sports.
We don't disagree on all of that stuff. I am just saying this is rinky dink.

Nobody is actually earning anything here. It's not like some guys have no stripes, some have only a white stripe while others have one or two brown stripes.

That could be motivational if you had a guy running around missing one of the Brown stripes.
We don't disagree on all of that stuff. I am just saying this is rinky dink.

Nobody is actually earning anything here. It's not like some guys have no stripes, some have only a white stripe while others have one or two brown stripes.

That could be motivational if you had a guy running around missing one of the Brown stripes.

If I am not mistaken, I do believe that the earning of stripes to be on the practice helmets.

although would be darn funny if this happened

announcer "Well there is Duke and Hyde in the backfield. Duke has both stripes and Hyde said before the game that he is doing everything he can to earn that second stripe."

I would die laughing
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Not a fan. This seems gimmicky. What, like 80-85% percent of the 53 man roster is already set. To me, earning a hefty salary should be incentive enough to make a roster....not a stripe.

This isn't high school or college.

1. We are talking about players who know only the College environment and not the NFL yet for this to be just an insignificant Rah Rah thing.

2. These are not accountants, they are football players and this stuff still hits home for them.

3. This also gives hope for hard work by UDFA's as it signifies that that they are in the same position as a drafted player. Hard work and competition is open.

4. This will be the hardest earned roster spots I think since 1999...if a 4th round pick slacks off a UDFA can take their spot.

5. I'm curious if anyone knows please educate me. Did Ward get his Stripes? As he was just named/given Starter status moving into the #1 role and reps.

Gimmicky, The game of football is very mental. If they are into it and I see a concerted effort for us to sign players who are FOOTBALL PLAYERS if they are they go for gimmicks and still get Revved up by emotions! $$$ earned is a by product of their love for the game.

Yes, they are now MEN not boys, but its still a GAME where you got to be a little boy in loving the game... wink We want football players not professionals earning a salary!

jmho
Eo, nobody earns their stripes until they make the team, so no, Ward hasn't earned his stripes.

That is the point. It's pretty meaningless.
I think this could gain some degree of meaning IF the guys who everyone knows will make the team, practice with the stripes on their helmets. Call it like it is...might be refreshing and separates from college.

OR if you want it to be like college, apply small parts of the stripe for attaboys in TC...which I would hate.

It's a time-filler and this year's mantra of sorts...for me, it's essentially nothing.
I agree.

It's not a bad thing. It won't have a negative impact. I just think it foolish to tell a guy like Bitonio or Garrett they have to earn their stripes.

I think they already know that.
Wasn't it reserved just for Rookies. Bitonio and Garrett already have theirs...or are you stating when they were rookies there was no question about it?

Same would be for BM, Ward and Chubb...pretty much all know that they are making the team, best thing is that all 3 have a reputation of working hard at the game so it merits the Gimmee status as part of the roster. Not a big thing we can guess but still hey its like some sort of Blue Ribbon of winning a roster spot. For the bottom of the draft and UDFA it will mean a lot to them. Of course the pay check for UDFA will also be a big reward.

jmho
The way I understand it, Joe Thomas or Jim Brown wouldn't have their stripes until they made the team.

At this point it is just a bunch of pumpkin heads running around.
You're right, just saw vets at OTA's and nobody had stripes, TT, Garrett ehhh, I guess there is some meaning to it you never know what can get the team to become just that A TEAM it could be little things like this giving them some connection with each other. I get it. Doesn't mean its a slam dunk in what they were looking for. But you never know.

The theme might be Competition and everyone has a shot, don't care how it looks, if it makes us 1% better than I'm all for it. Can't hurt.

jmho
I don't really think the helmet stripe is going to motivate anybody but I don't really think it's harmful either. Maybe they will give players something to work towards together and help build the team little bit. It does on paper at least show that everybody starting out equally.
It won't hurt anything.

We will probably get tired of hearing people talk about earning their stripes by the end of Hard Knocks.
A large part of our team was in college a year or 2 ago. They are probably still used to this kind of thing. Taylor, Hyde, Fells ... these guys have been around for a while. They are probably amused by it, but I bet it is, at least, a little bit of motivation to the younger guys who had to earn buckeyes, bones, paw prints, and so forth.
It won't hurt anything.

We will probably get tired of hearing people talk about earning their stripes by the end of Hard Knocks.

And it's kind of odd that we hadn't heard of any such gimmicks until Hard Knocks came to town. I'm not a fan of it.
yeah, how many times will the phrase "earned his stripes" be muttered on Hard Knocks? Over/Under 10
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
yeah, how many times will the phrase "earned his stripes" be muttered on Hard Knocks? Over/Under 10

Maybe it'll end up being a drinking game like:

The Austin 'Throw the Hammer Down/Deep in the Q" Carr Drinking Game

or

"Have a Drink on Me/ AC/DC" drinking game.

or

"Drink Anytime That Kid From Dazed and Confused Touches His nose" drinking game

Taking Hard Knocks to a whole new level this summer! rofl
last year we drank every time Kizer turned it over ... and you had to take 2 shots every time he did so in the Red Zone

hammered by half
last year we drank every time Kizer turned it over ... and you had to take 2 shots every time he did so in the Red Zone

hammered by half

I could get drunk off the cheapest beer following those rules hahaha..

hammered by half

I could get drunk off the cheapest beer following those rules hahaha..
brownie
© DawgTalkers.net