Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-want-players-earn-helmet-031938818.html

In a move reminiscent of college football’s helmet stickers, the Cleveland Browns are enacting a protocol for “earning” the stripes on their helmets.

According to the team’s website, head coach Hue Jackson intends on withholding the stripes atop players orange helmets until they’ve made the 53-man roster.

“There’s a certain way that the Cleveland Browns have to play and we’re going to earn our stripes,” Jackson said.

The Browns have been practicing without the stripes on their helmet this offseason.

Ohio State gives out buckeyes on their helmets to reward certain achievements. Arkansas has hog heads, Florida State has tomahawks and Clemson has paws. Temple reserves single digit numbers for team leaders and Nebraska issues black jerseys for their starting defensive members in practice.

While the Browns plan isn’t exactly the same thing as done by college teams, it serves as an achievement for players to “earn.”

It remains unclear just to what extent the practice will be employed. NFL uniform rules likely won’t allow the team to go without the stripes on their helmets during preseason games. Additionally, does it mean that players on the practice squad will practice without the stripes on their helmet until, or if, they get promoted to the active roster?

While the full implementation of the plan is still a bit unclear, the idea of using it as motivation is evident.

“The guys that put them on their helmets that get a chance to wear them, it’s going to be because they demonstrate the characteristics that we’re looking for in Cleveland Browns players,” Jackson said. “That’s the way we’re going to play and conduct ourselves and go out and win football games.”

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
S
1st String
1st String
S
Didn't we try something like that under Mike Pettine? Something about handing out dawgbones for good plays?

It didn't work to well in the past but maybe it will this time with the rookies.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Not a fan. This seems gimmicky. What, like 80-85% percent of the 53 man roster is already set. To me, earning a hefty salary should be incentive enough to make a roster....not a stripe.

This isn't high school or college.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m sure earning the stripe will be a huge motivator to make the team ... rofl ...

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
1-31 team should play with white helmets and uniforms....

Maybe a big turd has the symbol, so they all can remind what they have done this past seasons.

Last edited by rastanplan; 06/06/18 11:54 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: savagedawgs
Didn't we try something like that under Mike Pettine? Something about handing out dawgbones for good plays?

It didn't work to well in the past but maybe it will this time with the rookies.

Pettine's motivational tactic was that the winning side between the offense and defense got to wear the camo jersey the next day at practice.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I wonder what came first.....

Baker Mayfield saying that he needs to earn his stripes in the logo coloring excercise and the Browns adopting the practice after the fact or the other way around?

[video:youtube]http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-brow...-new-team-logos[/video]

Skip to 2:25

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’m sure earning the stripe will be a huge motivator to make the team ... rofl ...

Especially if it's on the front of a paycheck...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
C
Legend
Legend
C
I am shocked that none of our 900 previous coaches have tried this gimmick before. If it even helps a little bit, I am all for it.

Are the players going to play sans stripes during preseason games?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Are the players going to play sans stripes during preseason games?

That certainly would be interesting to see. I mean, they'd have to right? Or is that considered a uniform violation from the NFL?

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There's a joke in here somewhere about Gregg Williams and earning your stripes...

Legend
Legend
Sounds like a gimmick.
I hate gimmicks.... just line up and play like it's your job.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am shocked that you guys hate the idea. Who would ever have thought that you would criticize Hue for something so trivial?

Legend
Legend
It's a lot like college ... where guys earn stars, or buckeyes, for their play.

I can see it being a motivator. It also evens everyone out a bit, saying that everyone has to earn their way onto the roster. (even though we already know a lot of what the final roster will look like)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Sounds like a gimmick.

Yes, it is a gimmick, but I don't see it as a big issue.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
It probably is a bit of a gimmick, but I don't see what the problem is, other than presenting an opportunity to bash Hue.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
[Yes, it is a gimmick, but I don't see it as a big issue.

Agreed

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am shocked that you guys hate the idea. Who would ever have thought that you would criticize Hue for something so trivial?
\

So many people on this thread have a Hue agenda. THE MADNESS!!!

Why can't a bad idea to some simply just be a bad idea?

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Sounds like a gimmick.

Yes, it is a gimmick, but I don't see it as a big issue.

Agreed

A gimmick can be a motivational tool if used properly.

Even if it might only be helpful to the young players and rookies. The Vets go along for the greater good of the team, because I think they have most likely had discussions on the topic.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I kind of like this

I guess it can be looked at as gimmicky but I also think it can be looked as pride in being a Cleveland Brown and pride in being a part of a storied franchise. Its like sayig if you want to have the same stripe on your helmet that Jim Brown wore , then damn it you have to earn it

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/c

This is useless information and me just being picky.

The writer did a terrible job with his example. This is nothing like “buckeye stickers”. The Buckeye leaves are for game performance...individual and team effort.

If he wanted to make an OSU comparison, it should’ve been the use of the black stripe.

Incoming Freshman and transfers have to wear a black stripe starting from Day 1. Once they have earned it through practices and lifting, the stripe is removed they are a “Buckeye”.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The NFL has fined players over their socks. lmao

I'd bet anyone that come pre season, every player on the field will be wearing the same helmet.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It probably is a bit of a gimmick, but I don't see what the problem is, other than presenting an opportunity to bash Hue.

No, it isn't an opportunity to bash Hue.
It's an instance of voicing my disagreement with the announcement and promotion of a gimmick. We don't need to know, we don't even need to discuss, and it doesn't inherently lend itself to making the Browns a better football team - it's the definition of fluff, and disagreeing with something is not the same as bashing no matter how much you want it to be so.

This is akin to Butch Davis redecorating the locker rooms - just another "Dead Zone" snippet of things that don't matter.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Bingo.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Maybe we could give them out for scoring, tackling, interceptions,, whatever. Can't imagine anybody hypnotized by this shiny gimmick too much IMO.

Do your job.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
pretty sure most teams do something like this.. i remember reading that at one point when they were talking about the dog tags or whatever it was... the camo cloths too.

anything to help motivation and competion... just saying nothing wrong with it...

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't saying you were taking the opportunity, but Memphis and cfrs sure did.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Pretty sure that Dallas did this with their Star in years past. I don't know if they are still doing it. It didn't get much press then. But it's the Browns so must be something wrong with it.

Apparently it still a thing in Big D . Just for the rookies but it's essentially the same motivator. When you're 1-31 probably wise that everybody earn it.

Last edited by guard dawg; 06/06/18 07:05 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Fixing the stripe? Does this help them beat Pittsburgh? No.

So it's a non starter.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Sounds kind of rinky dink to me.

A talking point for the Hard Knocks crowd. "You got to earn your stripes, men".

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its not that there's something wrong with it because the Browns did it. Its just that its dumb. The stripe on the Browns helmet isn't especially iconic, or particular to the Browns. If you want to institute a uniform policy that puts a PB decal on the back of the helmet for players who achieved some measure of performance, that commemorates Paul Brown, I'd think that's pretty cool. But this is just window dressing and PR gimmickry, and the players are smart enough to recognize it as such. They know that if they are on the field for preseason or opening day that their helmet will have a stripe, because the NFL has traditionally fined them for the smallest uniform variance.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If a PB sticker isn't bush league and a Star isn't bush league it doesn't compute to me that the helmet stripe is any different. The stripe is emblematic of this club simply because there is no logo. The symbol of full fledged membership could be anything, it's arbitrary in my opinion. Its the representation of belonging that matters.

Last edited by guard dawg; 06/06/18 07:58 PM.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm totally ambivalent about this. Don't care.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Because the players know that the stripe will be there when they take the field, regardless of their practice performance. NFL uniform rules would dictate that if any player has a helmet stripe, then they all must have a helmet stripe. That's why they call it "a uniform". I actually don't know if NFL teams can award decorative decals based on performance, but I suspect they cannot. Its probably a non-issue.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quoted a part of that article...

Here's What Will Be Missing at Cowboys Rookie Camp This Week

Later this week the Cowboys will hold Rookie Camp at The Star in Frisco. But here's something the Cowboys' rookies won't find during their first official offseason work as an NFL player: a helmet with a blue star. They also won't be wearing full pads or have the opportunity for 'live contact', so there's no chance to make an early impression on a coach with a slobber-knocking tackle or pancake block.

As for the star-less helmets, the Cowboys' blue star is something that has to be earned.

"The star is very important to us," says head coach Jason Garrett. "The star is an international symbol. It's the Dallas football Cowboys. And the players hear me say that a lot. The star means something. This team has been around for more than 55 years, and it's a great tradition. You have to earn the right to wear that star, and we're very clear with the players about that. Just because you sign with the Dallas Cowboys doesn't mean you earned that thing yet."

Rookies won't earn the star on their helmet until they make the roster. It doesn't matter if a rookie is a highly touted first-round draft pick, or an undrafted free agent. When preseason games roll around, the equipment staff will stick a blue star on a rookies' helmet, but by the time that rookie is back on the practice field at training camp, the star is gone.

The tradition of "earning the star" started long before Garrett took over as head coach. When Bill Parcells arrived at Valley Ranch in 2003, first round pick Terrence Newman and other rookies like Jason Witten and Tony Romo were star-less. Of course, each of those players went on to outstanding careers.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Yeah, it's like when Mike use to hand out dawg bones.

These dudes are at the highest level of football, if that's not motivation enough then I'd hope they wouldn't be a part of the team.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Because the players know that the stripe will be there when they take the field, regardless of their practice performance.

Yes, at some point if you still have a helmet, it will have stripes on it.. that's a given..

I have serious doubts about whether this will have any impact on effort or performance during camp but whatever..

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Yeah, it's like when Mike use to hand out dawg bones.

These dudes are at the highest level of football, if that's not motivation enough then I'd hope they wouldn't be a part of the team.

I agree with you logically, but it's still cool to have some fun stuff at work.

Like cake in the break room in the office or employee of the month, etc, just a little something to compliment the players doing well.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
It is more of a "right of passage." the stripe comes when you make the 53

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
IMO they're doing this for hard knocks. It's another time filler for the show.....who earned their stripes this week?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns want players to earn their helmet stripes

Link Copied to Clipboard