DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: DiamDawg Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 12:31 AM
Good news dawgs ...

Njoku was just on NFL Total Access ... think he said there in Cali ... wherever they are he said right now before OTA’s they were working with Bake ... Njoku said it was Himself, VG and Higgins working with Bake on timing ... there may be more he seemed reluctant to say anything ... I really hope Calloway is there also .. THEY ALL NEED IT ...

Said there orking on timing and they’ll do it again after OTA’s ...

OBJ is in Europe ... wonder if he’s flying back to get in on it ...

YESSSSSsssssssss ... thumbsup

THINGS ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!

Posted By: jfanent Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 12:33 AM
He also said Ratley was with them.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 12:39 AM
These guys just really seem to like hanging out and doing business by their own way of making everyone better.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 01:07 AM
Love to hear things like this... off season work is most important time....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Good news dawgs ...

Njoku was just on NFL Total Access ... think he said there in Cali ... wherever they are he said right now before OTA’s they were working with Bake ... Njoku said it was Himself, VG and Higgins working with Bake on timing ... there may be more he seemed reluctant to say anything ... I really hope Calloway is there also .. THEY ALL NEED IT ...

The boys know what is going on. The kingdom is about to be theirs.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 11:22 AM
VG?
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 11:35 AM
Vice Grips. That's Landry.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 11:41 AM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Vice Grips. That's Landry.

So you're saying Landry's a tool.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 12:57 PM
The core of Baker, Landry, OBJ, Njoku, Chubb, Callaway, Higgins ... that's an unreal nucleus that's YOUNG
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 01:04 PM
Who was it, AB or Bell that was saying that once the season was over, they never heard or seen Ben until OTAs and TC.

Good to see our guys taking the initiative to work on their craft. That's one of the steps to becoming a champion.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
The core of Baker, Landry, OBJ, Njoku, Chubb, Callaway, Higgins ... that's an unreal nucleus that's YOUNG
Hunt?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 01:58 PM
Yeah, I'm hesitant to count on him yet smile
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 03:08 PM
OBJ will be there at some point as well. Baker and OBJ both live in LA in the off-season, so I'm sure they will be seeing a lot of each other.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 03:10 PM
Look for this to be a break out year for Njoku.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

He's going to be open a lot.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 04:24 PM

If not, look for him to be looking for work elsewhere. I hope he’s dedicated himself to becoming a more complete TE. If he won’t block, Dorsey won’t have it. He’s already made comments to such.
I’ve also noticed in watching film on him that he doesn’t appear to have a natural sense for finding soft spots in defenses. Some guys, like Witten, just have a knack for it. It’s like a QB with pocket prescience. Some guys just have it. It can be worked on, but some guys appear to have it built in. I’m not sure Njoku does.
He has all the measurables to be All Pro. This year we’ll see what’s in his heart when it comes to blocking. And what’s in his ‘feel’ when it come to on field adjustments.
I hope he excels. I’m holding my breath.
Posted By: eotab Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 04:30 PM
Good news dawgs ...

yeah he mentioned Ratley, Higgins - I missed the part that he said Landry (VG) Cause I was huh...no Landry? to myself. You sure...I sort of saw it about 20 times as I fell asleep with NFL Network on and seemed to wake up when Njoku was on.

Also I read some rumors about Joe Thomas coming out of retirement.
1. He would have to gain like 40-50 lbs.
2. His knees are pretty bad and he stated he can't even run now.
3. I hate dumb asses that blog like they are experts and say things like that. Total Ignorance!

For the Record, I'm sure Joe WISHES he could come back but knows physically he cannot!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 04:34 PM
The only thing I heard was a comment he made on NFL Network where he said he wished his knees would have held out longer. Didn't sound like he planned on a come back.
Posted By: eotab Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 04:41 PM
While searching for some info came up with some Yahoo expert saying that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 04:57 PM

He better. If not, he could be gone soon.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
OBJ will be there at some point as well. Baker and OBJ both live in LA in the off-season, so I'm sure they will be seeing a lot of each other.

I understand that OBJ is in Paris.. Not sure why, but that's what I read
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 05:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I understand that OBJ is in Paris.. Not sure why

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The only thing I heard was a comment he made on NFL Network where he said he wished his knees would have held out longer. Didn't sound like he planned on a come back.

He was literally scolding his knees on-air for not holding out another couple of years, lol

Folks on the Twit have been badgering him to come out of retirement.

I'm sure he would LOVE to be on the field when we win one, but he can't play.

IF we make it to a Super Bowl, I hope he is signed to a vet minimum contract at Half Time so that he can take part in the kneel-down that seals the win for us.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 06:15 PM
What's a VG?
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

He better. If not, he could be gone soon.

Just my 2 cents...not arguing.

He made good strides year 1 to year 2. And, he had 56 catches for over 600 yards. If he continues with those numbers, I'd say he was a successful draft pick. They're not stellar, but top 10 in catches and yards. I'd think we'd keep him around if he continues that (just not at a ridiculous cost).
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 06:38 PM
Ya, i’m positive he said VG was there ...

super Landry is Vice Grips ... thumbsup
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 06:59 PM
We are set at WR and I liked when they said the Trade for OBJ would be rejected on Madden smile
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/14/19 07:46 PM
Ya, i’m positive he said VG was there ...

super Landry is Vice Grips ... thumbsup

He knows that, he is just amusing himself.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/15/19 12:20 AM
Vice grips. Amusing himself.

Ewwwwwwww....
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/24/19 10:08 PM
Here is Higgins 2018 catches and targets...

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/24/19 10:09 PM
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/24/19 11:14 PM
He’s been infected by the Baker magnetism.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 12:41 AM
Thanks, Turk

That was a fun stroll down memory lane.

So pumped for next season!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 01:33 AM

As I watch a lot of these replays I am struck by Baker's footwork. Most of his throws come from a balanced platform. Yes, he makes off platform throws. He throws well on the move as well.

But on his pocket throws man his feet are right.

That helps so much in throwing accurately.

The more you watch the more impressive it is.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 01:52 AM
His feet are very quick, and they dance all the time. Then, when it's time to launch, they seem to snap into alignment, sending the pass with line and accuracy. If he's buying time in the pocket, he's never flat-footed when it's time to break contain.

One big exception I can remember: 1st half of that Denver game. He did some scrambling for sure, but that was nothing new. What was new: Dawg, how many of his passes were on line, but sailed 1-2 ft too HIGH? I recorded that game, and watched it a couple time that week. During the game, I thought it may have been the thin mile-high air. Nope.

For some reason, he was just launching them without setting much of the time. He really settled down later in the game.

But yeah- he has much better footwork/mechanics than I would have expected for a rookie. Any rookie.

thumbsup
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 10:26 AM
Did my soul good to hear of this. Baker is setting the bar for the team it seems. They all need the work. Gronk is available.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 12:10 PM
I think Baker's footwork is good at times and not so good at other times. You can see the good footwork on some of those highlight throws.

However, Baker often gets off of that balanced platform that you spoke of. The front foot opens too wide and he is throwing against his body. It's on these throws where you see him deliver the ball high and/or wide. It's why he can go from having superb accuracy to being inaccurate w/in the course of the game.

Two caveats:

1. Baker's footwork w/in the pocket is very good. He does a great job of having active feet to avoid pass rushers. His steps are short and choppy. He was taught well and he has mastered it.

2. Baker has a good arm and can still make good throws when he is off his platform.

Parting shot: Baker's footwork is the biggest reason I was disappointed that he didn't work w/a QB "guru" this off-season. Lower body mechanics are huge when it comes to accuracy and velocity. Muscle memory is huge, especially when the qb is facing pressure in the pocket.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
His feet are very quick, and they dance all the time. Then, when it's time to launch, they seem to snap into alignment, sending the pass with line and accuracy. If he's buying time in the pocket, he's never flat-footed when it's time to break contain.

One big exception I can remember: 1st half of that Denver game. He did some scrambling for sure, but that was nothing new. What was new: Dawg, how many of his passes were on line, but sailed 1-2 ft too HIGH? I recorded that game, and watched it a couple time that week. During the game, I thought it may have been the thin mile-high air. Nope.

For some reason, he was just launching them without setting much of the time. He really settled down later in the game.

But yeah- he has much better footwork/mechanics than I would have expected for a rookie. Any rookie.

thumbsup

It may have been due to the "Von Miller Effect".

I might have to watch that game again and see how much pressure Baker felt early.
Posted By: BpG Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 03:06 PM
I'd be more concerned if they were not doing this.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 03:26 PM

At times he does open. But I was looking at a normal 5 step drop within the pocket with a clean pocket.

Ideal conditions. Like practice. Like a good swing at a ball down the middle. He has pretty mechanics. The ball jumps from his hand. Fast and accurate release.

Mistakes happen because of pressure conditions. When he is looking and feels pressure he has the quick feet to move and reset. And he does it very quickly.

During the draft process my concern about him was he looked slow. I mean by that straight line speed 40 time. I saw him get run down by linemen on a few occasions. So at the combine I wondered about his speed. Thought the jump to the NFL where you have DE that can run like deer would be trouble. But he put up a way better 40 than I expected 4.84.

When he moved into the starters role. As expected he was uncertain at times. As he got used to his role and when Freddie came in. You could see the confidence grow.

Now as I look at replays of the season and cut ups of Higgins, and Callaway, etc. I look more closely. He made some truly great throws. But more importantly I think that the improvements that all need; he will make.

His baseline is super good. I bet at practice in Berea he doesn't miss much. That is why the team plays with confidence with Baker. They see him everyday making quality throws.

I have always felt when looking at young talent. Watch what they do well and see how consistently they do it. Everybody makes errors. Overtime you work at what needs to improve. But if you start from a strong foundation improving is way easier.

Tebow for example was just the opposite. Lamar may never be accurate consistently. His feet are a mess under good conditions.

I am more impressed by Baker the more I study him.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 06:12 PM
I don't think a QB needs to work with a "QB guru" to improve what needs to be improved.

Isn't that why we have a QB coach?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 06:17 PM
It is. The only problem is the CBA agreement strictly limits the time players and coaches can work together. And during the off season, prior to work outs, they can't work with them at all. That's why some teams sign long time veterans as back up QB's when they draft a rookie. Players can spend unlimited time working together. Not so with coaches.

I don't believe it's a make or break thing. Would it be beneficial for a young QB to work on the finer points of his position during the off season? Probably so. I can also see why some would feel it may be just as beneficial to work on timing with your team mates during that same time frame.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 06:18 PM
Many QBs work w/a coach during the off-season to refine their games. It's much harder to work on mechanics during the course of OTA's, TC, the season, etc.

If you work w/a coach during the off-season, you can isolate certain mechanical aspects of your game. I don't even like the term "guru." It's just a guy who can help you improve your mechanics. Golfers have their own personal swing coaches for the very same reason. Mechanics are very important.

There are stories of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady who were both in their 30s at the time spending their off-season working on their footwork because they were looking for an edge.

I am not making a huge deal out of this, but I think Baker needs to clean some things up w/his footwork when he is facing pressure. The off-season is a great time to accomplish that.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 11:31 PM
To pit:
I never thought of the CBA aspect, which certainly changes my outlook. Does he actually need a lot of person-to person sessions, can't he be given a program that he can work on without someone overseeing it in person?

Vers, I think any pro athlete should do whatever it takes to keep getting better. And I trust your eye if you say Baker at times would get his mechanics out of whack.

Maybe you said it already, but did he improve in that respect as the season went along?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 11:47 PM

Just jumping in here briefly. Freddie told Baker to debrief and unplug for awhile.

The rookie season for any player is long. Longer and more demanding than anything in college. It is professional not amateur.

This year because Freddie is a rookie coach they get extra time. I think they can report a week or two earlier.

It has been reported he is working out with receivers.

Hard to ask for more. I have never heard of Baker avoiding work or not working hard.

Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 11:49 PM
I'm not going to disagree with you.

My question/comment/wonder is: how do you actually work on things "under pressure?"

I know they do all sorts of things with brooms and bags and balls, but intellectually a player knows they're not going to get crushed by a 270# DE. It's not really the same.

In boxing, they at least have sparring. In football, there is so much "chaos" going on, and the impacts are so violent, I don't know how you can accurately simulate that without risking injury.

Maybe with surround sound (cracking pads, footsteps, etc) and fans/wind machines (sense of movement around the QB) you could stimulate similar visceral responses. I don't know if the additional senses being stimulated would help bypass the intellectual "hurdle" of knowing it wasn't "real."
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/25/19 11:54 PM
Never mind, lamp. It seems that no one wants to hear an objective criticism of Baker. Hell, I even make sure I praise him in other areas, but that gets ignored and the excuses are trotted out.

Not sure why talking about something a guy should improve upon is such a bad thing? Whatever.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 12:02 AM
It isn't a bad thing. I have no issue with anyone pointing out perceived mechanical flaws they see in a QB (even Baker wink ).

I'm just asking questions, tossing out ideas.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 02:46 AM
Quote:
If you work w/a coach during the off-season, you can isolate certain mechanical aspects of your game. I don't even like the term "guru." It's just a guy who can help you improve your mechanics. Golfers have their own personal swing coaches for the very same reason. Mechanics are very important.

I'm reading this in a vacuum. In other words, I'm pretty sure there is context to this post that I could find earlier in the thread. I'll go look for it after I finish. In the meantime, I wanted to piggyback this, combine it with a post you made in EE (about music and sports being similar)... and make this point.

After a few years of playing on the job, it's important for us to play for others. The daily grind of playing 5-6 days/wk allows sloppy habits to seep in to our base technique. Sitting improperly on the chair. Uneven weight distribution. Arms/torsos/fingers out of alignment.

It's good to drop down in front of an objective observer and get some feedback. It's different than lessons we got as a kid, because we already know most of this stuff. It's more a reinforcement of those old rules that helped us to establish good technique during our 'wonder years.' A 'refresher course in basics' allows us to objectively reassess where we are, and tighten up those parts that loosen over time. Master classes, mock auditions and 'peer coachings' are great for that.

Other public performance-based occupations do this sort of thing all the time.

JUst thought I'd drop that in as a side note.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 03:57 AM
Never mind, lamp. It seems that no one wants to hear an objective criticism of Baker. Hell, I even make sure I praise him in other areas, but that gets ignored and the excuses are trotted out.

Not sure why talking about something a guy should improve upon is such a bad thing? Whatever.

I've been quiet, but here's the thing for me... I know Baker isn't perfect. He threw like 14 interceptions, so he obviously has work to do. It is entirely plausible that you are not correct on what he needs to work on and how to go about improving his game.

We also don't know that he isn't working on his game. I'm sure he's not just sitting around playing video games. Baker is one of the hardest working and most driven players I've ever seen on this team. I'm not worried about what he is or isn't doing because I know he's going to do whatever it takes to be the best quarterback this game has ever seen.

That's my opinion. People can disagree and pretend to know what's best for Baker, but frankly...I'm not worried.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 12:47 PM

It's good to drop down in front of an objective observer and get some feedback. It's different than lessons we got as a kid, because we already know most of this stuff. It's more a reinforcement of those old rules that helped us to establish good technique during our 'wonder years.' A 'refresher course in basics' allows us to objectively reassess where we are, and tighten up those parts that loosen over time. Master classes, mock auditions and 'peer coachings' are great for that.

Other public performance-based occupations do this sort of thing all the time.

JUst thought I'd drop that in as a side note.

and to piggyback on your piggyback.... I've seen this at the top level of lots of things. In many things, efficiency of movement is king. In endurance running, it means quieting muscle groups not needed to run so as to conserve energy, in swimming it is ALL about your form in the water, cycling is all about position on the bike and evenness of your pedal strokes.... details right down to hand and finger position on the aero bars in front of you get scrutinized to maximize aerodynamic efficiency. In CrossFit, a guy might widen his stance by two inches so that he can cycle squats faster, or he might narrow that stance to make the movement more quad-dominant than hamstring because he may be trying to save the hammys for another part of the workout...... in short, the separators at the top, the things that determine who is Good and who is Great, are the small things.

The single biggest mistakes that amateurs make is that they focus too much on those small things with the reasoning of "well, it's good enough for '<insert name here>'", but they don't work on the larger flaws.

One of the biggest mistakes at the top levels is they don't spend enough time looking at those small things because they just blindly keep working on the normal things that got them there.

The Greats will always find, identify, and work to correct any weaknesses.... but, they have the presence of mind to apply the 80/20 rule and not sweat the little things until/unless the bigger things are addressed.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 01:17 PM

Agree for the most part. And it's so refreshing to finally have one of "the greats" at quarterback. I can't wait!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 01:26 PM
j/c:

Alright, I'm going to try again because everyone who responded was cool about it and nothing became personal.

I'll start by saying that I think Baker had an outstanding rookie year. He was so much better than I imagined. I saw:

Strengths:

--Accuracy: It was outstanding much of the time. He can hit guys in stride.

--Arm strength: Ball explodes out of his hand. He can fit it into tight windows all over the field. He can throw darts while on the run. Very impressive.

--Footwork: Very good in the pocket when avoiding rushers. At times, has a perfect platform that helps w/his accuracy.

--Pocket presence: Need to see more, but he does a very good job of recognizing where the pressure is coming from and avoiding it.

--Moxie: Has a huge ego that allows him to play w/a swag. He believes he is great and that really helps him on the field.

--Leadership: Guys seem like they believe in him and are quick to defend him.

--Poise: The moment hasn't been too big for him.

--Pre-Snap Reads: Not very good at first, but by the end of the year, he was making some great pre-snap reads. That TD pass against Denver illustrates this point.

Concerns [Things I think he needs to work on:] I'll try to be more detailed here so I don't upset anyone.

Post-snap Reads: Holds the ball too long if his first option is covered. Now, someone suggested that might be that he doesn't want to settle for a shorter pass and is looking to make a big play. I don't know if that is the case or if he just misses seeing open receivers, but I think he needs to improve in this area. I actually hope it's that he is looking for the big play because you can coach him up on that one, whereas teaching a qb to go through his progressions quickly is virtually impossible.

Footwork: This is the one I brought up earlier. As I said, there are many times where his platform is excellent and his accuracy is outstanding. However, we have seen him be inaccurate. The throws are usually high and sometimes high and wide. The throw to Landry at the end of the Rat game [right before the pick by Mosely] is a good example of the inaccurate throws.

I've noticed that there are times when Baker--especially when he is pressured--opens up that left foot too much. That gets him off of his platform and causes the accuracy issues. Both feet should be pointed toward the target in a perfect world. Like many qbs, Baker's issues are that his back foot is positioned properly, but the lead foot opens too far to the left. This hinders hip and lower body rotation and causes you to have to use your arm too much. It affects the release point and this leads to accuracy problems.

I think you need to work w/someone to improve this because they need to see you. Taking videos of the guy while throwing and then having the qb watch them is huge. Hell, I'd love to work w/Baker on this. It gets me excited just thinking about teaching proper mechanics. Of course, I'm joking because there are a lot of great teachers out there. I just miss teaching that stuff.

I think Baker has been taught the proper throwing motion. It's fairly obvious because he does have great form on many throws. It's just something that he needs to be more consistent on. My bottom line is that if you aren't working to get better, you are getting worse because someone else is working their ass off.

--The third thing is maturity. I know that football is a game to most of our readers, but once you are in a position of getting paid.........it's no longer a game. It's a job. A profession. And the first rule of the game is that you never mess w/another man's opportunity to make money. It was very surprising when a couple of Steeler o-linemen called out Bell last year. Those guys took a lot of heat because you never mess w/a man trying to get paid.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 02:24 PM
I honestly think most of us got it the first time... I know it may not seem like it, but I bet we mostly all did.

He's good, really good, but like everyone on the planet, he can improve certain areas of his game.

Gotcha thumbsup
Posted By: eotab Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 02:25 PM
I think the big key in this discussion of QB coach and/or QB guru. Is that in the off season I am not sure he (QB coach) is allowed to coach up Baker and work with him due to the CBA on workouts. It has to be done on their own and I guess that means a QB Guru gets the work done.

jmho
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 02:42 PM
I think you have that right. The CBA limits how much time the team's coaches can spend w/him. I really don't like that term "guru," but yeah, that is what they're called.

I love football drills. We had a really good discussion on this board after Kizer was drafted about mechanics and drills. One of the most enjoyable threads ever. I could talk about mechanics and drills all day.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 03:54 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
To pit:
I never thought of the CBA aspect, which certainly changes my outlook. Does he actually need a lot of person-to person sessions, can't he be given a program that he can work on without someone overseeing it in person?

Well I'm not an expert on the subject but I do know that a lot of great QB's have worked with what are called, "QB gurus". And no, I don't like that term either. lol

I believe it's very hard for a QB to analyze himself on a play by play basis. Most bad habits or mistakes in any given situation are based on reflex, habit and muscle memory. Not only do you need someone to identify when you're doing it, but how to take immediate actions to correct it. It's a process you need to be coached at repeating over and over again in given situations in order to "relearn a new habit" if that makes sense.

I'm also one who feels players need time away from the game to decompress. I feel they need to work with their team mates on timing and familiarity. So it's not really a one size fits all.

There's always room for improvement. Honing your skills can never be a bad thing. And while something other than a QB guru working with a QB during the off season may be a workable solution, I haven't seen nor do I know of one.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
To pit:
Does he actually need a lot of person-to person sessions, can't he be given a program that he can work on without someone overseeing it in person?

The biggest value in having a coach/guru is the feedback. They, if they're good, will spot flaws you don't even know you have. What feels like good, normal movement to you may actually be a foot turned too far out, or a knee that turns inward. Maybe release point isn't as high as you think it is and maybe what you feel is too high is actually just about right.

You can get this from video analysis, but that is slow and you have to wait for them to watch what you did, take notes, and then send the report back to you. There is nothing better than in-the-moment instant feedback from someone that is right there; someone that can walk you through a progression or grab your arm and move it into the right spot so you can feel where it should be.

Without that person, yes, there are programs and drills that you can run yourself through - it doesn't matter what the movement is, you can devise a drill for it.... but, without that feedback, you could well just be practicing bad form.

That's the single greatest value of a coach - they can see what you can't because they are focused on watching you while you're focused on doing the work.

Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 06:44 PM
That was well-delivered...kudos to you.

I have two comments about that:

Regarding post-snap reads:

Rookie QBs will hesitate because...well...they are rookies;

Rookie QBs...throwing to rookies/new guys etc will surely result in some hesitation with one guy not certain what the other guy will do on-the-fly;

With the number of guys he spreads the ball around-to, he must be - at least - pretty good at post-snap reads.

All that said, it is perfectly logical that he needs to get better in that aspect. Not sure how one practices that...but there is no doubt that is a valid issue/point.

Regarding working on the nuances:

It was stated repeatedly that Baker had trouble playing under center during OTAs. He clearly found a way to work on that and he subsequently had very few issues with that aspect once TC broke. I would expect him to also work on his footwork and foundation to work through those areas as well. On his own or with whomever he wishes.

He's the real deal right now...and my expectation is that the coaches know what he should work on and have made that clear to him...those things logically could be the points you made above.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 06:46 PM
Even Peyton manning worked with QB gurus. It's always helpful to hone your craft.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 07:04 PM
I'm the furthest thing from a QB guru, but I would imagine that the more you dial in your throwing/footwork mechanics, the easier it would be to read the field.

I can see how it would be similar to playing hockey. You have to be able to skate, stickhandle, and look around to see where you want to pass/shoot. You can be a good skater, but if you aren't completely comfortable skating, where it's second nature, then your puckhandling and playmaking is hampered. It's because you have to think about how to skate and how to handle the puck at the same time... it's complete mental overload.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 08:26 PM

Good post. While I don't necessarily agree with everything, I understand some of the concerns.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 09:41 PM
And muscle memory. Often overlooked. Reps are not merely mental. Practicing wrong can create problems like lazy drop steps on timing. I favor crisp feedback so you don't drill a bad habit waiting to breakdown tape. Not a huge thing, but it is a real thing, especially for QB.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 10:15 PM
Even Peyton manning worked with QB gurus. It's always helpful to hone your craft.

Golf probably has the least wiggle room for slight flaws in mechanics. All those guys have a personal coach.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 11:05 PM
j/c:

This has turned out to be a good conversation. We all have different opinions on a couple of things, but there haven't been any personal attacks.

I think it's good that we disagree some. It helps people learn. I don't even know if I am right about some of those things. I'm just a dude on a message board.

I think Grimm brought up a good point earlier. He asked me how do you simulate pressure during drills? That is a good question and there is no clear-cut answer. I believe in muscle memory and you can do things like come at guys w/those foam teaching tools, but it obviously isn't the same.

If I were coaching Baker, I would give him one thing to work on each off-season. You don't want to burn a guy out, but sharpening your strengths and improving your weaknesses should always be a goal during the off-season.

Do any of you remember what Michael Jordan used to do? One off-season, he spent the entire time working on his ball handling. He set up chairs and cones and worked on both hands daily. He also did all the ball-handling drills each day.

There is an old saying that we used to preach a lot. The only time "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 11:15 PM
Trust me, Baker's severest critic is himself. No QB is working harder to hone his skills and his conditioning harder. And I am confident he has gotten input from "professional" sources, be it Browns staff or otherwise, on areas of improvement.

Where he came up with Jimmy Clausen to prepare him for the combine I have NO idea. Clausen also engineered his Pro Day at OU. I'd have to say the venture was a successful one. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jim...E&FORM=VIRE

As for working on pressure, of course QB's are basically "off limits" when it comes to practice hits, and should be. But they are very aware of pressure regardless. I'm excited that Bake gets an entire off-season to work with the 1's. After what he did last year, can you imagine....?
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/26/19 11:49 PM
Quote:
Golf probably has the least wiggle room for slight flaws in mechanics.

Try playing an unfretted stringed instrument. rofl

90,000 ways to play a note out of tune; only one place where it's exactly right.
banghead
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 12:00 AM
I tried, Clem. And I found all 90,000 ways to play that note wrong and only once did I find the right way. Of course, I immediately realized I had no idea how I played the right note.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 12:46 AM
Quote:
Golf probably has the least wiggle room for slight flaws in mechanics.

Try playing an unfretted stringed instrument. rofl

90,000 ways to play a note out of tune; only one place where it's exactly right.
banghead

Fair enough.....I was keeping it in the realm of sports.

That said, there are probably fewer PGA pro's then concert cellists. And probably way more who try to be good at golf.

That said, all the respect in the world my friend.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 04:10 AM
I tried, Clem. And I found all 90,000 ways to play that note wrong and only once did I find the right way. Of course, I immediately realized I had no idea how I played the right note.

rofl

First, it's a mystery.
Next, it's a crap shoot.
Then, it starts making sense... and that's when you can start learning something.

'Peen: I tell my students that NFL players, tennis pros and LeBron are athletes of large muscle groups, and musicians are athletes of small muscle groups. The training regimens are strikingly similar. The coaching techniques are mostly the same. Only the jobs look dissimilar, but human beings all learn the same way. Study the body, adapt it to the specific job at hand, and begin refining the movements until pure technique is left. It's all about burning off the impurities.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 04:21 AM
Posts like that are why we like Clem.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 10:32 AM
Just because Bake said he’s not going to work on his mechanics doesn’t mean he’s not ... just because he didn’t go work with a QB guru that WE KNOW OF doesn’t mean he’s not working on the mechanical flaws he has ... I’m sure Bake is doing EVERYTHING HE CAN to improve in all areas of his game ..... knowing who Bake is and how driven he is to succeed it doesn’t make sense he’s not working on all of his flaws ... it just doesn’t add up ... not at all ...

I’m sure they went over his flaws in his exit interview this year ... it doesn’t seem like Freddie or someone in the org, didn’t pick up on his flaws when watching film on him .. i’m sure the video staff put together a montage of all his missed throws and those were dissected ad nausea looking for the why’s and any flaws ...

I’m sure he’s working on them and getting feedback from someone .. it just doesn’t make sense that he’s not ...

Vers said he opens up his left foot to much on some of his innacurate throws and then says he needs to work with someone where they can watch film together ... I don’t know squat about that but Vers knows his stuff so I 100% believe it ... i also know even though Bake said he’s not going to work with someone on his mechanics that Bake’s not an idiot and he knows there not going to magically improve ...

I’ll almost guarantee U that he’s working with someone, somehow on his flaws ... or there’s a plan in place to get them worked on between now and TC ...

- he could be working with whoever prepared him for the draft last year ...
- he could be working with Stanton ...
- he could be working with our QB coach ... it may be against the CBA but if Bake wants too to it whats to stop him .. u think the nfl is spying on him ... *L*
- he could be working with someone we’ve never heard of who Bake trusts and has been working with for years ... doubtful but maybe Lincoln Riley or Hue ... *L* ...
- he may be live streaming the sessions he spends working on them back to Freddie with Freddie providing instant feedback for all we know ..

Bake’s a real smart dude that is driven to succeed and he’s not blind, deaf or dumb when it comes to any of his flaws and i’m sure he’s doing what he can to work on all of them and regardless of what he said I’m sure he’s working on his mechanics as well ..

Nothing else makes sense ...

THIS IS DIFFERENT!!!!

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo ... thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 11:00 AM
Nothing prevents a player from reaching out to a coach on the team. The CBA limits the amount of contact a coach initiates.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 12:48 PM

No doubt. My post in no way suggests otherwise.
Posted By: eotab Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 03:03 PM
QB Gurus...the irony of it all is the best one in the game is a Baseball Player who started his program for Pitchers...lol laugh
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 03:58 PM
You obviously didn't comprehend my posts. I clearly said that working with your team mates to refine timing was just as important as working with a QB guru. You can't do everything at the same time. Right now reports are he's working with his team mates. Nobody said that was a bad thing.

Otherwise all people have done is show why we feel working with a QB guru is helpful to any QB.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 07:10 PM
I should have put j/c ... it was a general response not directed at u ... my bad ...

I’ve read very few of the posts in this thread ... not even sure i read even one entire post ... the dead period is even more sucky than usual this year ....

My sole point was i’m sure Bakes taking care of business witch is all that matters ... at least too me ... thumbsup
Posted By: hitt Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 08:49 PM
It is the off season AND he/ like you has only one life- he wanted to see Paris, have you ever been....I've been several times and it's great. Kitchen's stated he wanted Baker away from football for awhile because he's going to grind on him when it starts.
Please don't dump on anyone for enjoying their off season, JMHO.
Go Browns!!!!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/27/19 11:20 PM
j/c:

I do not think my analysis of Bakers' strengths and weaknesses was even close to suckiness. I thought it was an honest analysis that was pure football talk. I'm sorry if that has no place on this board for some folks.

I'll bow out now.
Posted By: eotab Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/28/19 01:31 PM
Diam btw, is there an article stating who is there working out? Or video??? It is was posted I missed it.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/28/19 04:16 PM
j/c:

I do not think my analysis of Bakers' strengths and weaknesses was even close to suckiness. I thought it was an honest analysis that was pure football talk. I'm sorry if that has no place on this board for some folks.

I'll bow out now.

Me neither ... i thought it was GREAT ... best post on the entire board since the trade ... of the ones I’ve read, i’m not reading much right now .. I was in no way reffering to U with my this is the suckiest dead period prolly ever for me remark .. i have no clue why u took it that way ... there’s never much football to talk about now and for once i actually can’t wait for FALL SUNDAYS to get here ... LETS GOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo ... thumbsup

When i got something to say to u or anyone else ... i’ll say it .. i’ve never been one to beat around the bush or be shy about calling someone one out ... i believe i’m an extremely blunt person in here and face to face .... like right now, I have something to say to U ... u left me no choice but to do it here and u know why ...

I did not contradict U when i said I believe Bake is working on his mechanical flaws and it very well may be with a QB guru or someone else ... just like i wasn’t reffering to U with the “sucky” remark in this thread ...... i was contradicting Bake ... he’s he one that said it, not U ... u said u don’t like that he said it, nether do I ... i then STATED WHY I believe Bake mis-spoke or was full of crap when he said it .... IT HAD ABSOLTELY ZERO to do with U .... i then gave the different options he could be using to be working on those flaws .... that’s MY OPINION ... sorry if u don’t agree with it or don’t like it ...

If u disagree with what I said, fine ... tear my opinion up it’s not like it would be the first time thats happenend ..... *L* .... its what makes for convo and it’s how I learn ...

Take this FWIW ...

Over the last 6 - 8 weeks everything I’ve said on here seems to have rubbed u the wrong way ... not sure what’s crawled up your butt in regards to me but i hope it crawls back out soon ... i could care less if we argue and debate things ... we’ve had plenty of knock down, drag outs on here ... we’ve done that for years ... but u seem to just run away in the middle of our debates now and in this thread your bowing out cause u wrongly think I was contradicting U and wrongly ASSumed i was refferingto U ... that’s getting old ...

Like i said .. take that for FWIW
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/28/19 04:20 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Diam btw, is there an article stating who is there working out? Or video??? It is was posted I missed it.

Not sure if there’s any articles written about whose at it, if it’s still going on ... we have OTA’s starting Monday so I’m sure its over with at this point ....

If there was an article about it I’m not sure if its been posted here either ... haven’t been reading a ton lately ... nothing going on since the trade ...

I saw it the night of or day after the trade ... Njoku was on the NFL network and spoke about it ... that’s how i know about it ...

Damm bro ... this sure is fun ain’t it ... thumbsup
Just for visual reference.

Browns' Njoku: Defenses won't know how to handle us - NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ow-to-handle-us

4:25 or so mark is where Njoku talks about working out in LA with Baker and others.
Posted By: eotab Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/29/19 02:51 PM
Yeah I remember that show...he only mentioned Himself, Ratley and Higgins. Didn't remember him mentioning Landry or VG. didn't watch the link provided but was my memory wrong???
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/29/19 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Yeah I remember that show...he only mentioned Himself, Ratley and Higgins. Didn't remember him mentioning Landry or VG. didn't watch the link provided but was my memory wrong???

I'm so confused... who is VG? I thought it was Landry's nickname of Vice Grip?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/29/19 06:13 PM
No ... your not wrong ... Njoku started to name them and Joe Thomas cut him off after he got two names out ...

I’m sure VG was there ... he works his butt off and is a leader ...i’m sure he was there ... hopefully Calloway was also ...

Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/29/19 06:58 PM
Quote:
Njoku started to name them and Joe Thomas cut him off after he got two names out ...

Joe's been at this 'microphone stuff' for awhile now, and he's pretty sharp. I think he just helped David keep the lid on just how much offseason work is being done, and by whom.

Pretty smart.
No need for the rest of the league to know our every move, you know?

p.s. Do you listen to the podcast he does with Andrew Hawkins? Those guys are great together. If you haven't, it's called "The ThomaHawk Show." Find it at their website.

thumbsup
Posted By: eotab Re: Njoku/VG/Higgins working with Bake - 03/30/19 01:45 PM
yes Landry is VG should have typed a / as in Landry/VG I was typing fast didn't know it would confuse anyone...lol laugh you get confused easy I guess... wink
© DawgTalkers.net