DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Chilly The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 07:32 PM
I cant believe I'm saying this and unless I just got Ricked and shot into an alternate dimension. This IS our reality. But, kicker seems to be a HUGE need right now. Bad kicking is what lost us the division. Gostkowski is resigning. So do we draft a K?
Posted By: bonefish Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 08:13 PM

Pretty sure Dorsey will bring in competition.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 08:30 PM
I think Greg Joseph is going to be the guy. We will also bring another guy for camp, but I wouldn’t expect that him to get the job.
Posted By: FATE Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 09:09 PM

Do we really need a kicker? Don't need FGs, Baker doesn't like them anyway. Go for two every time... Pooch all the kickoffs out of bounds and give the other teams a chance!
Posted By: jfanent Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 09:20 PM
Joseph's got a year of experience under his belt. Hopefully he's matured mentally.
I kind of want to see what Joseph does with a different special teams coach before getting rid of him.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 09:27 PM
I want to bring in all the kickers, and have a competition. Put them under pressure and see who is the best.

Because when we get to the playoffs, no doubt, the pressure is gonna be phenominal, and we need the right guy.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 09:49 PM
Two kickers. Phil for anything under 45, Joseph for the longer one. Unless there's a blizzard and it's from 48 yards or so, in the swirling, cold winds of Lake Erie, cuz we'd need Phil for that one.
Posted By: jfanent Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 09:52 PM
I'd settle for Phil just doing the PAT's.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 09:55 PM
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Two kickers. Phil for anything under 45, Joseph for the longer one. Unless there's a blizzard and it's from 48 yards or so, in the swirling, cold winds of Lake Erie, cuz we'd need Phil for that one.

That is a waste of a roster spot.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/23/19 10:01 PM
No kidding????

Gee whiz, I didn't consider that.

I was being slightly facetious.

Edit: but not completely facetious.
Everytime Joseph came out my heart stopped. I never felt confident and knew we would lose via a kick at some point (once he was signed).

10/11 games won + playoffs last year had we a better kicker and ST's.
The position that is most worrisome, is Safety,

Then Right Guard,
Then Tight end #3, and #4

Then kicker,

Then backup quarterback.

But the kicker needs to be more reliable, like foul shots in a basketball game. So kicker may be higher up on the list.

You shouldn't have to draft a kicker though. In the old days nobody drafted a kicker, I thought, except the dumb teams.
What’s Kickalicious up to these days.
I do have concerns about the kicker. I'm not sure if Dorey had any involvement in signing Butker in KC but that dude is pretty solid and he's a free agent

The "position" I think is bleakest is kick/punt returner. I'd spend our 7th or maybe our 6th depending on houw the draft shakes out on Tony Pollard of Memphis. He's had 7 NCAA career TD's on returns. He's also a decent WR/RB option.
We still have the draft, FA and even cuts at the end of preseason games to address these positions.
Posted By: jaybird Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/24/19 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
We still have the draft, FA and even cuts at the end of preseason games to address these positions.

No kidding... wouldn't be surprised to draft a kicker late.. we will have a kicker competitio... maybes . a through fa but I wouldn't be surprised if we draft one
Posted By: GMdawg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/24/19 10:21 AM
Linebacker and DB's

Yes I know that's two.
LB and safety

That sounds right.

Btw: Look at our WR ranking. Tied for the highest in the league. What an amazing turnaround from just a couple of years ago.
WR could be even better if they ended up with Paris Campbell, who may or may not, (ehh at least "possible") push n end up greater than Ratley and Louis, maybe and Strong, n Willies,

Nevermind, probably won't happen.

Posiotion most worrisome. (Well nowhere else to put this )

I'm a little worried the Browns somehow don't get the monkey off their back with either Baltimore or Pittsburgh for the division, and

the Worry, The AFC South has 4 teams that collectively, the last 2 times the Browns were "near", I'm not sure in my mind what the previous one before last year was, may have been pettiness 7-9 season, may be another,

My worry is the AFC South has 4 teams that are more "Gelled" at present at least, to just not even give the Browns a chance at the wild card, again.

And their quarterbacks? they can play just as good, and their teams and coaches, they have just as much continuity.

Because of the AFC south, I'm worried there could be 3 10-6 teams, and the Browns could also be 10-6 and not get in.

The one position that is most worrisome?
Quarterbacks of the AFC South.
Grateful, where can I get that chart?
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Grateful, where can I get that chart?

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1109155441152421889
Posted By: eotab Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/24/19 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I think Greg Joseph is going to be the guy. We will also bring another guy for camp, but I wouldn’t expect that him to get the job.

He wasn't that bad...and he should become more comfortable. He's just a touch away from actually being rather good. I'd like to give him a shot to progress. A very strong leg.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/24/19 02:19 PM
I agree LB and Safety.

We can get a starting SS in round 2. We may or may not be able to do much to impact LB this year.
The position most worrisome to me is cornerback. We're a Denzel Ward bad tackle away from another concussion and a weak unit. TJ Carrie was very bad last year, BBC is gone, and both Gaines plus Mitchell dealt with injuries last season.
Posted By: Chilly Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/24/19 04:24 PM
The top ranked kicker in the draft is that kid from LSU.....so there's another Tiger who can win some games for us.
LB and S are glaring IMO ... imagine having LBs that can cover, because we haven't had that in a long while
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
LB and S are glaring IMO ... imagine having LBs that can cover, because we haven't had that in a long while

Schobert is excellent in coverage. Kirksey isn't too bad. We need another safety who can cover.
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
I do have concerns about the kicker. I'm not sure if Dorey had any involvement in signing Butker in KC but that dude is pretty solid and he's a free agent

The "position" I think is bleakest is kick/punt returner. I'd spend our 7th or maybe our 6th depending on houw the draft shakes out on Tony Pollard of Memphis. He's had 7 NCAA career TD's on returns. He's also a decent WR/RB option.

Pollard is my ideal later pick as well...would help on special teams as we have a big opening at returner...and he could be someone we can groom as a receiving back, specially if they do indeed trade Duke away.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/24/19 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
LB and safety

^This.
QB is by far most worrisome to me.....just bc of how snake-bitten this franchise seems to be..
LB although Avery eases my concern ...
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Everytime Joseph came out my heart stopped. I never felt confident and knew we would lose via a kick at some point (once he was signed).

I felt the same each and every time Joseph came out.

I seem to remember Phil Dawsons first couple of years,,,, I felt the same about him.. Not sure what that means,,,
Originally Posted By: eotab

He wasn't that bad...and he should become more comfortable. He's just a touch away from actually being rather good. I'd like to give him a shot to progress. A very strong leg.
Those knuckleballs tho, how many went in that easily could have been missed?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/25/19 01:57 PM
I believe a few were tipped at the line.

Couldn't say if it was because of a low kick or a breakdown with the line.

The way Dorsey as added some linemen in FA, it leads me to think the Oline didn't hold position.
Posted By: KyDawg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/25/19 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

I seem to remember Phil Dawsons first couple of years,,,, I felt the same about him.. Not sure what that means,,,

It means one of the best kickers in Browns history had growing pains his first couple of years in the league, just like our current kicker. I don't think it's very logical to believe Joseph can't improve, based on the facts that Phil started out this way too. I don't remember the distances of the kicks missed before Joseph was signed, were any of them withing the distance he was "automatic" based on his stats? I'm not say
Posted By: KyDawg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/25/19 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

It means one of the best kickers in Browns history had growing pains his first couple of years in the league, just like our current kicker. I don't think it's very logical to believe Joseph can't improve, based on the facts that Phil started out this way too. I don't remember the distances of the kicks missed before Joseph was signed, were any of them withing the distance he was "automatic" based on his stats? I guess give a rookie kicker a year to learn before we call for their head is how we should feel.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I believe a few were tipped at the line.

Couldn't say if it was because of a low kick or a breakdown with the line.

The way Dorsey as added some linemen in FA, it leads me to think the Oline didn't hold position.
I don't recall them being tipped, just knuckleballs.
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Derden
QB is by far most worrisome to me.....just bc of how snake-bitten this franchise seems to be..

Oddly, QB is the one position I'm not really concerned with... I'm still wanting more help on the DL.
I'm still very concerned about the OL. I remember the year we lost Schwartz and Mack and the entire team imploded. When the dam is busted, it doesn't matter what weapons you have. At least with S & LB, if there's a lot of pressure on the QB, they'll look better than they are. On pass plays anyway.
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
LB and safety

^This.

K isn’t on this.
I'm worried about LB and CB.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/26/19 03:22 PM
j/c

I'm not as concerned about the OL as some seem to be. I'm confident that a plan is in place and we're prepared to fill the hole left by Zeitler with Corbett. When it comes to depth, and even a spot starter due to injury on the interior, I think we're in pretty good shape. I'm not as worried about the LT position as some are. I'm one of I think only two posters on this board that saw Harrison as super talent that was just very raw and needed to develop and add some strength. As much as many doubt it, I think the long term plan there will end up being Harrison. Baker and the system we're running with the weapons we have is going to help your OL look better than they really are. Buying time in the pocket and having the weapons so your opponent can't be throwing 8 man fronts at you make more of a difference than it seems some people understand.

Kicker also doesn't worry me as much as it seems to worry some. As has been pointed out on this board already, even Dawson didn't look great early on. To me that doesn't mean Joseph is a lock to be great, but you can find a kicker late in the draft. You certainly need a dependable kicker but we're not talking the QB position here in terms of difficulty to address.

The two spots at the top of my list would be CB and LB. We need someone opposite of Ward that is a good man cover guy. And I'm not as concentrated on the LB position because I don't feel we have a terrible weakness there. It's not a strength by any means but at the same time it's not like we have some huge hole there.

With the talent we have in place my position is pretty much as it always has been. Only now we're much closer at having the required talent that would make any team feel they can compete. My position is any time you can make a move to upgrade any position on your 53 man roster, you make that move. I'm also one who knows you can't build Rome in a day. And while you can't do that, Dorsey has came damned close to doing it.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/26/19 05:07 PM
As of today, S, DB and LB in that order for me.

Ward's injury/concussion history are of concern. Hopefully, this past season was a one-off and he stays healthy, because he is a tremendous player. It'd be a tough blow to lose him.
with as deep as this draft is in db, i'm taking a couple atleast. I think ward is out of football in the next year or two..he's just not built for it. Concussions aren't anything to mess with. I still think S and LB are biggest need. guess reports are Dorsey has reached out to reps for Berry and Boston
Posted By: Chilly Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/26/19 10:18 PM
I KNOW!!!!! The same here. Which is killing me. I want Baker to have the durability of Favre and Brady but I know how the Gods just love screwing Browns fans. Its almost like having a great car but you don't want to get it dirty or park on the street.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/27/19 01:24 AM
Get over it Chilly.

You sound like a youthful Dawg.

I am a old Dawg. Maybe we can work together....the Browns CAN dominate....you can share you youthful exuberance, I can share my wisdom.

It's a good combination that helps both.
Posted By: eotab Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 03/27/19 03:10 PM
Can't have enough Edge Rushers and CBs...2 of the 4 Rare commodities. QB, LT are singular positions and not rotational. But Edge Rusher and Cover Corners the other two rare commodities are rotational or in the case of Cover Corners there can be 5 eligible WRs on the field at one time. So you need 5 solid Cover Corners and you have a big time advantage over other teams.

Right now we got two in my eyes and they will start. Mitchell and Ward. We have to add 1 more and then you are getting into your Nickel and Dime units which could have Safeties who can cover along with a LB that can cover to make up the 5!

But you need at least 3 and the 4th n 5th are needed in case of injuries!

jmho
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I'm worried about LB and CB.

So? The thread started with a discussion about kickers. Stalk much?
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

That is a waste of a roster spot.

But is it though?

How many NFL games were decided by the FG kicker last year?

How many were decided by a 3rd string offensive lineman?

Hmmmmmm.....
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 04/01/19 11:27 PM
exactly.
Bring Phil home! And I'm serious. We need a reliable kicker for the PAs and shorter field goals.
We won't be kicking many, if any, from outside of 40 and I'd wager solid money that there is still not a kicker in the NFL that knows the winds and the field in CBS better than Phil Dawson.

#bringhimhome
I love Phil, but he is very old and doesn't have the leg anymore.
Joseph doesn't even have that strong of a leg does he? How many times last year did we punt when we had a 50-57 yard try lined up. It seems to me that this happened like twice a game...

I love Dawson but he was only 5/8 last year before being replaced by Zane...

I think it would be worth using a 5th or 6th rounder on a kicker. Cole Tracy, K, LSU seems like the best prospect in the draft at this point.
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
We won't be kicking many, if any, from outside of 40 and I'd wager solid money that there is still not a kicker in the NFL that knows the winds and the field in CBS better than Phil Dawson.

#bringhimhome

only extra points this year hehehe all we will be doing...
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 04/01/19 11:53 PM
Yeah but 32-yard PAs would be automatic with Phil. Remember Zane and what's his face who replaced him, when converts were nail-biting moments?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 04/01/19 11:53 PM
I'm kinda joking, but not really.
Anyone else remember that the comedian Martin Mull (A huge Browns fan from North Ridgeville) used to go out and kick FG's? On his birthday he would go out and kick his age in yards ever year.

Martin Mull is like 75 years old now.

I'm just sayin...
Damn. I'm old!
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Damn. I'm old!

We both are!
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Damn. I'm old!

We both are!

Me too .... just not as old as you guys are. rofl (I think)
Posted By: lampdogg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 04/02/19 01:08 AM
Martin Mull is a straight up beast.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 04/02/19 02:25 AM
We gotta get that guy!
Posted By: bonefish Re: The one position that is most worrisome - 04/02/19 02:37 AM

What Me Worry?

Ain't worried about a thing.

Dorsey has my back.
Lol!

Jokes aside, I'm sure we'll see a kicker in here for camp, but I'm not so sure I'd write him off as our kicker for 2019. He actually has a very strong leg. He'll probably be given a shot to win the job.
I know who Martin Mull is. Where am I?
© DawgTalkers.net