DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 02:51 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 03:16 PM
Not to continue to pile on Houston for bad decisions .... but ......

Just amazing. crazy
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 03:17 PM
Cam to the Pats or Bears IMO
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:36 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:37 PM

Chris Mortensen
@mortreport
The Panthers and Teddy Bridgewater are negotiating a 3-year contract in the $60 million range, per source. The deal is not done as they work out details but it is expected to be complete when new league year opens Wednesday.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:37 PM

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
25m
Bears are releasing former first-round draft pick Leonard Floyd, per source.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:44 PM
Posted By: Dave Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Setting the market for Schobert?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:45 PM
A lotta cash
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:47 PM
A lot of crazy news as of late, well on all avenues...Anyone have any news whom else our Browns are looking at? Hopefully some safeties, linebackers, or Oline...

Wouldn't mind at safety S Kearse, Phillip's, Joseph, Von Bell, or even Tavon Wilson.

LB obviously wouldn't mind Joe Scho...possibly Reddick...however he is still more of a project at this point...Not sure whom is all left, after Blake Martinez and Littleton are inked up now.

Oline guy whom I think is serviceable and cheap is Cam Fleming...can be a good swing option, and even slide at RG if need be...played in some good systems in NE and Dallas.

Wouldn't mind DT Timmy Jernigan on a cheaper 1 year deal, I think he can slide around and offer us versatility and depth...I know he has had back issues though...DE Blair out of SF, wouldn't be a bad depth option for us as well.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:52 PM
Quote:
Setting the market for Schobert?

You'd have to think so....at least to a certain degree.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:52 PM

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
·
10m
#Lions are releasing LB Devon Kennard, source says. Bit of a surprise there. Team captain coming off back-to-back seven-sack seasons. Should have interest elsewhere.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:53 PM
j/c...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 04:53 PM
He'll draw some interest..

Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
He'll draw some interest..

We would be looking at him to play DE I would think.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 06:06 PM
Tom Brady to Tampa Bay

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/conten...bay-buccaneers/
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 06:09 PM
There it is
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 06:27 PM
Von Bell thumbsup
Posted By: BarkinMad Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 06:56 PM
I trust NOTHING that Cow Turd says. Ok, seen the Brady story in other places, guess it's true, bit of a shock, not that I truly care if he stays, goes, or retires. LOL

I still don't like Colin Cowturd. haha
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:01 PM
j/c...

The Jags. Poor guy (not financially!).

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:02 PM
Not happy about that.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:03 PM
Bummer.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:03 PM
Ian Rapoport reported Schobert to Jags 5 Years $53 Million www.nfltraderumors.com
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:05 PM
I wonder why we wouldn't pay him that? I don't think that is out of line. At all.

It's weird because we spent so much yesterday. So, I can't use the "cheap" justification. Not signing him doesn't make any sense to me.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I wonder why we wouldn't pay him that? I don't think that is out of line. At all.

It's weird because we spent so much yesterday. So, I can't use the "cheap" justification. Not signing him doesn't make any sense to me.

This is where I'm at.

Very disappointing.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:10 PM

Agreed, this is a brain scratcher. I beat them up over being cheap for not signing him, then we went on a signing spree yesterday.

AB was part of drafting Joe as well.

I really wish someone in media would ask for clarification on this and flat out ask AB - do you not think Joe is worth the value he signed at?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:11 PM
The only explanation is they didn't like him as a player.

Better hope his replacement is as good or better, but I think the odds of that are low.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:12 PM
j/c...

Posted By: woodybrownsfan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:14 PM
are defense will be young and Ripe. Good thing we got all that talent on Offense. as long as no long term injuries arise. This offense should be scoring 27-31 points per game.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:19 PM
Not sure what to say about that post???
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:23 PM
Not sure what to say about that post???

Let it go Vers tsktsk
Posted By: BpG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:23 PM
I just don't agree on Scho, we will see I guess. He was a very solid pick in the draft but he isn't a difference maker to pay 53m to IMO. That is Eric Kendricks, Lavonte David money and he is not that caliber. It's reasonable when you think he is a top 10 ILB, but I definitely do not see him in that caliber.

He was a solid player on a not very good defense, especially against the run.

I would love to get Malcolm Jenkins onto a defense completely void of leadership. Skills are in decline but he is still a "heart and soul" type person.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:24 PM
Not sure if DustinFox is being facetious or serious, but he just implied the Jags are so dumb for signing that contract
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:27 PM
Loved Joe, remember him at Wisconsin, and was glad we drafted him, he is a solid ILB, but $53 Mil? I'm Just glad he chose Jax and Not the Bengals who they said was in the mix ...
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
The only explanation is they didn't like him as a player.

Better hope his replacement is as good or better, but I think the odds of that are low.

Yeah, I just disagree. Especially since even the data says he was rated up there. I get hes not a generational player. Some fans think that unless someone is LT or Ray Lewis, everyone is a bum (esp. Cle fans). Its not the case.

Joe was a leader on defense, that played hard, worked himself form a low draft position to a BIG payday, and did it all the RIGHT WAY. He is literally the story you want on your team to show others and say "see Joe, THATS the reward of being a Brown". But alas, we cut bait. SMH.

The only other thing I can think of that was a hold up that would make sense was the 5 year thing.

Maybe the FO only wanted to go 4 years???
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:29 PM
This $53 million thing that has been used in two recent posts is w/out context.

The deal was a 5-year, $53.75M deal, source said. He gets an average of $10.75M per year. $12M to sign and $22.5M guaranteed. A new face on that Jax defense.

The $10.75 million per year is not out of line. Nor is the guaranteed money.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Agreed, this is a brain scratcher. I beat them up over being cheap for not signing him, then we went on a signing spree yesterday.

AB was part of drafting Joe as well.

I really wish someone in media would ask for clarification on this and flat out ask AB - do you not think Joe is worth the value he signed at?

I think the 20+ million guarantee was the deal-breaker on Joe...just like the 20 million was the deal sealer on Hooper. JMO
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:34 PM
Good idea!

This is a job for MKC! Eager to see her take on this.
Posted By: BpG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:35 PM
11m per puts him in the same light as Erick Kendricks, Bendardrick McKinney and Lavonte David, which is why I mentioned them.

I just do not agree that he is that quality of a player. Good for him, let him live, but he is a one dimensional player who got washed out against any decent rushing attack. Joe Mixon absolutely wore him (and our defense) out in both meetings last season.

I agree with you, not out of line, not wildly scoffing at the deal, I just don't think he is that far above replacement level to pay him 11m per.
Posted By: Dave Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Not sure if Dustin Fox is being facetious or serious, but he just implied the Jags are so dumb for signing that contract

He wasn't being facetious. He's definitely not a Schobert fan. Thinks he misses too many tackles, for one thing.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:40 PM
That's fine and I'm not criticizing you at all. I will add that I vigorously disagree w/your talent evaluation of Joe. I think he is a much, much better player than you are giving him credit for.

I posted multiple PFF charts of where Joe ranked in certain categories. PFF is not the end-all. Not claiming that. It's a piece of information. I watch the games and Joe is excellent in coverage. He is so intelligent and instinctive in regards to finding the ball and being in the right spots. He is not the most physical tackler, but his DTs [especially Ogunjobi] did not eat-up too many blocks. They are better at penetrating. That's important to a LBer.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:41 PM
Personally, I liked Joe Schobert. But I do think he was a bit overrated here. I guess we will see next season.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
Not sure if Dustin Fox is being facetious or serious, but he just implied the Jags are so dumb for signing that contract

He wasn't being facetious. He's definitely not a Schobert fan. Thinks he misses too many tackles, for one thing.

Schobert was as good as any ILB covering the pass but not so much against the run Mack Wilson can do both very well ...
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Schobert was as good as any ILB covering the pass but not so much against the run Mack Wilson can do both very well ...

I think Mack Wilson is going to be a very good linebacker.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
11m per puts him in the same light as Erick Kendricks, Bendardrick McKinney and Lavonte David, which is why I mentioned them.

I just do not agree that he is that quality of a player. Good for him, let him live, but he is a one dimensional player who got washed out against any decent rushing attack. Joe Mixon absolutely wore him (and our defense) out in both meetings last season.

I agree with you, not out of line, not wildly scoffing at the deal, I just don't think he is that far above replacement level to pay him 11m per.
What are Joe's #s and grades compared to said players....

Similar if not better. But hey. . .
Posted By: Dave Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

I think Mack Wilson is going to be a very good linebacker.

Joe Mixon made both Schobert and Wilson look below average as far as tackling ability. There has to be some reason(s) Wilson lasted until the 5th round, and I think tackling might be one of them.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG

Kendricks signed his deal two years ago. Same with Bendardrick McKinney. Lavonte David is at the end of his deal.

Each year the salary cap goes up. each year the contract prices go up. I'm not sure trying to compare older contract amounts with current deals ia a fair comparison. Just sayin'.

In regards to Joe I'm willing to see how things shake out at the LB'er position before i cast judgement. On the surface I'm not a fan of him leaving. But my determination will be how we look at the LB'er position going into the season.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 07:51 PM
j/c...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 08:08 PM

My guess is that data shows that off ball linebackers are easily replaceable on cheap contracts. Also, you can sub linebackers in and out of the game based on situation. My guess is that off ball linebackers will soon become like running backs where teams have several different guys who come in the game at different times with no one taking 100% of the snaps.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 08:24 PM
This is a player we should be interested in:

Tom Br. . . whoever the Chargers quarterback is going to be just got a good left tackle:

The Raiders are weird:

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 08:26 PM
Rivers to the Colts I am seeing

Chargers getting Bulaga trying to lure Brady it seems
Posted By: BpG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 08:29 PM

Not picking on you but I have been very vocal that Mack Wilson is another one dimensional player. He needs to add 15lbs, he is a coverage backer and that is really it.
Posted By: BpG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 08:36 PM
It's ok to disagree, I just see him as a one dimensional player. I agree that our DT's did not help him but is he going to get that type of help in Jax? Glad he got paid.
Posted By: BpG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 08:37 PM
I hear you but that's where we are when comparing salaries. He is paid like a top 10 backer and I'm just not sold he is even top 15.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 09:12 PM
Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
·
9m
The Bills have reached a two-year extension with safety Jordan Poyer, locking up one of their defensive leaders through 2022, according to a source.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 09:40 PM

The only viable reason I can figure out is his lower ratings against the run. Maybe the FO is looking at Baltimore’s run game and thinking they need a guy who is better at stopping it? Just a guess on my part.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 09:43 PM
Is anyone considering the possibility that Joe didn't want to play here?
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Is anyone considering the possibility that Joe didn't want to play here?

It does take two to tango, as the saying goes.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 09:45 PM
He has said that he wanted to be here, because he likes the area, and this is the team that drafted him, and gave him a shot.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 09:49 PM

Look, the Browns didn't put up the money. As much as I don't like seeing him go, hey, he's doing for him, as he should.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:25 PM
I have no idea what we're going to do. The Hooper and Conklin deals were pretty surprising to me. Happily surprising.

But I'm legit worried about the LB & Safety spots. I wasn't in love with Joe but he was above average and a play caller / vocal leader on the defense. That's the kind of thing that doesn't show up on stats sheets but it super important. And now we don't just need 1 of each, at this point the cupboard is getting close to bare. Redwine did nothing in my eyes last year. Mack Wilson looked like a tweener in a bad way. Not terrible, but a depth guy. TikyToky? No idea, couldn't find the field. So, like practically no one at either position. They have to get busy. I hope they do. I think we (re)learned a very painful lesson last year (one of several) that having a handful of really good skills guys and hoping for the best will get totally torpedoed if you don't have at least average players and a bit of depth at most other positions. Just warm bodies and a cup full of hope will get you nothing.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:27 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:29 PM
j/c...

And he didn't want to have to go through Mahomes...

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:33 PM
A guy I was hoping we'd make a run at .... and he took an incredibly affordable deal.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:34 PM
Would have liked to have seen him a Browns uniform as well.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:34 PM
We don't need no safeties.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:36 PM

Evidently not. Don't need LB either.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:50 PM

Evidently not. Don't need LB either.

Jeez guys, it is only the first day of the "tampering" period.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:50 PM

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:51 PM
This actually could make sense. Brady likes Brown .....

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 10:55 PM
I wanted Tre Boston too
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:06 PM
I wonder ......

If the Bucs get Brady, and the Pats were to get Jameis, which team would have a better year ....?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:09 PM
Bucs IMO
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:10 PM
I wonder ......

If the Bucs get Brady, and the Pats were to get Jameis, which team would have a better year ....?

Tom Brady, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and OJ Howard....
vs
Jamis Winston, Julian Edelman, Mahamud Sanu, Matt LaCrosse

TB has the better offense.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:13 PM
Yes ... but Belichick has a far superior defense, historically ..... and he has seen every weak point in Brady's game.

I would find it hard to go against Belichick.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:17 PM
Yes ... but Belichick has a far superior defense, historically ..... and he has seen every weak point in Brady's game.

I would find it hard to go against Belichick.

In a head to head maybe, but for the year, I would bet TB (and did at 40/1) smile
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:19 PM
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
#Lions are releasing LB Devon Kennard, source says. Bit of a surprise there. Team captain coming off back-to-back seven-sack seasons. Should have interest elsewhere.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:21 PM

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
49m
The #Jets are signing former #Broncos C Connor McGovern to a three-year, $27 million deal that includes $18M fully guaranteed, per source.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:33 PM
I just want to say "Thank you" to all the posters who do a great job of getting information on the board. My work as a CIA specialist and expert in infectious diseases keeps me away from here minutes at a time.

No really, I DO appreciate your updates.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:33 PM
LOL Ouch!

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:45 PM
LOL Ouch!

brownie
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/17/20 11:59 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

My guess is that data shows that off ball linebackers are easily replaceable on cheap contracts. Also, you can sub linebackers in and out of the game based on situation. My guess is that off ball linebackers will soon become like running backs where teams have several different guys who come in the game at different times with no one taking 100% of the snaps.

Joe is a 3-down LBer. Why waste a roster spot on having two guys play one position when you have one guy play it?

It's all kinda crazy on how much praise Joe got the last few years and how people were so upset that Dorsey hadn't re-signed him before the end of the year and now.........it's like he wasn't even a good player and didn't have much value.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 12:13 AM

Now I'm hoping the Bucs sign Hunt to an offer sheet. fingerscrossed
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 12:14 AM
Yes yes yes!
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 12:16 AM
Why would that be good for the Browns?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 12:18 AM

In addition Joe is a leader.

You got the guy on the cheap for 4 years because he was a 4th round selection. He leads the team in tackles, lines everybody up, and he is one of the best cover LB's in the game.

You have two second year LB's who most of the time just didn't have it all figured out.

And the Jag's sign him to a five year $53.75 deal with $22.5 guaranteed.

And we couldn't give him that deal?

Head scratchier to me.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 12:19 AM
It wouldn't.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:01 AM
Wow! That's absolutely insane!

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:04 AM
It is insane. He is terrible. He can rush the passer, but he sells out to do so and offers almost no run support. And I say that after saying the Browns should consider drafting him. He started off good, but he fizzled out quick and was the main culprit for teams beating us on the perimeter. Nothing changed in TB.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:07 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:15 AM
There is inappropriate language, but folks should check out Nassib's alien YouTube video. Hilarious.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:15 AM
Wow, thats about three times more than i imagined haha
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:23 AM
I'm waiting for someone to give Nate Orchard $20 million ...... crazy
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:24 AM
Did Nassib ever have a meangiful sack as a Brown ? Yeah he got some sacks but mostly the QB was funneled toward Nassib. How hard is it to get a sack ? He never got off a block to get to the
QB. So over rated. Can't believe people here were crying after he left for Tampa
Posted By: jaybird Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:40 AM
Wow.. good for carl...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:52 AM
Haha yeah, that’d be even worse
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:56 AM

The casinos are closed.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 02:01 AM
And good luck getting 10% interest with the Fed just cutting prime to 0%.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 02:53 AM
LOL I didn't see that. I don't know how legit the guy is but he has got a lot right today so far.
Posted By: Jester Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:16 AM
I don't know if Joe is worth that contract. If you ask me, they are all overpaid for what that do.

I also don't know that the Browns didn't offer him that same contract and he prefered to play for the jags
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:27 AM
I thought Joe said he wanted to stay w/the Browns? Do you think he would lie about that?

Besides, who has a better team..............Jax or Cleveland?

I'm not buying Joe wanted out.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:37 AM
I thought Joe said he wanted to stay w/the Browns? Do you think he would lie about that?

After four years at Wisconsin, and four in Cleveland, he may have just wanted warm weather in the winter. We’ll never know.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:45 AM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:13 AM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

That's a good deal for both sides. The Panthers can get out after one year for pretty cheap if it doesn't work out.
Posted By: Jester Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 06:00 AM

I am not saying he did or didn't want out, only that we don't know what the Browns offer to him was.Maybe we offered the same contract, maybe $1 mil less per year maybe $5 mil less per year.

I never heard him say he wanted to stay. Maybe he did maybe he didn't.
Maybe he said it and meant it at the time. Then we made a lowball offer and it made him made and changed his mind about wanting to stay.

I am just saying that I am not making a judgement without knowing all the facts.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 06:28 AM
He has said that he wanted to stay. However, he didn't get what he wanted here, and did get it elsewhere ..... and we are stuck with a barren LB corpse. (spelling intentional)

I had no problem with letting Kirksey walk. He only played in a handful of games over the past 2 seasons, and his contract was far in excess of his value here.

As of this moment, our LB room consists of Mack, Takitaki, Tae Davis, Jermaine Grace, Willie Harvey, and Montreal Meander. I don't know about you, but looking at that group runs a cold vein of terror down my spine. We need at least 2 starters, and another backup good enough to start. We created a hole we didn't need to by allowing a very good MLB to just walk away. Crazy.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 09:13 AM

NFL Update
@MySportsUpdate
·
5h
The #Cowboys are signing DL Gerald McCoy to a 3-year deal, per
@toddarcher

Wonder how much has left
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 10:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Jester
I don't know if Joe is worth that contract. If you ask me, they are all overpaid for what that do.

I also don't know that the Browns didn't offer him that same contract and he prefered to play for the jags

I doubt we offered the same. I think we were probably willing to go 9 max.

I would have been good with keeping Sho, but I don't think we will end up missing him all that much.

We do need to focus on lb and safety the rest of FA.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 10:31 AM
j/c:

I'm guessing a lot more news will drop today just after the 4pm deadline, although there was more news than I thought on Monday.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 11:18 AM
I know it is not going to happen, but at 4pm today, I'd love to see the Browns announce they are extending Chubb beyond 2021 as well as Myles Garrett.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 12:44 PM
He has said that he wanted to stay. However, he didn't get what he wanted here, and did get it elsewhere ..... and we are stuck with a barren LB corpse. (spelling intentional)

I had no problem with letting Kirksey walk. He only played in a handful of games over the past 2 seasons, and his contract was far in excess of his value here.

As of this moment, our LB room consists of Mack, Takitaki, Tae Davis, Jermaine Grace, Willie Harvey, and Montreal Meander. I don't know about you, but looking at that group runs a cold vein of terror down my spine. We need at least 2 starters, and another backup good enough to start. We created a hole we didn't need to by allowing a very good MLB to just walk away. Crazy.
Looks better than our safety room of Sheldrick Redwine...... rofl
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 12:53 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I know it is not going to happen, but at 4pm today, I'd love to see the Browns announce they are extending Chubb beyond 2021 as well as Myles Garrett.

I know it's not going to happen, but at 4 pm today I'd love to see the world announce the coronavirus has disappeared, everyone is healthy, and the NFL season will start on time.
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 12:56 PM
We got Mack Wilson that is ready to jump into the MIKE role on our team. Its a position that falls into the analytic realm...10+ mil a year for a none Pass rushing LB these days is not in the proper analytics for the NFL.

I love Schobert but was surprised at how much it would take to keep him here. All the best to him. I know we are, on paper, weak up the middle on defense except for Richardson. But I see the analytics in this. I'd like to see our roster when our training camp starts.

jmho
Posted By: BpG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:17 PM
I think Scho is significantly better than Mack Wilson was as a rookie against the run. However Mack should improve by gaining some weight (hopefully) and a season under his belt. I think against the pass Wilson is an upgrade athletically. Eotab is correct 10+ mil on a non pass rusher is bad business, however we had plenty of cap to make it happen so it definitely speaks volumes on where we are headed.

At the end of the day Scho was an upgrade over Mack Wilson for certain last season, will he be in year two? The FO thought it too close to give Scho 11m. Time will tell, but I agree with not signing a one dimensional (IMO) marginal athlete to a top 10 money LB deal.

Moving on, Carl Nassib, gross, never should have been cut, made absolutely no sense at the time or now.

I think AB is definitely going to Tampa now.

Malcolm Jenkins just makes too much sense to me right now for our Browns. Pair him with Vonn bell?

Andrew Whitworth or Jason Peters sign anywhere? Can we get a 1 year stop gap?

Is Michael Peirce a free agent? Not mad about looking into that situation.

If we release Vernon, would Clowney be in play? Probably not but fun to consider.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:42 PM
Some guys out there that I would still like to see the Browns sign for the right price

Jayron Kearse S
Adrian Phillips S
Zach Banner OT We still need depth
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S
Karl Joseph S
Derek Wolfe DE Yes I am biased on that one grin
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 01:58 PM
If people want to laugh at me, that's fine...

But I'm hoping we mend fences with Randall and give him a one-year (if lucrative) prove-it deal. He'd be proving that last year is in the past and he's going to get his head screwed on straight with the new coaching staff and go back to playing well.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 02:00 PM
j/c:

I don't understand why folks are talking about Antonio Brown going to Tampa Bay? I know there is the Brady factor, but TB is loaded at WR.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 02:04 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

But I'm hoping we mend fences with Randall and give him a one-year (if lucrative) prove-it deal. He'd be proving that last year is in the past and he's going to get his head screwed on straight with the new coaching staff and go back to playing well.

From everything I've read and followed (not the fake twitter account floating around yesterday night) had the Browns #1 target as Anthony Harris and, until he was tagged, was going to be their big signing attempt. But now, in addition to a massive contract he'd most likely get, the FO would have to give up a draft pick as well.

Not sure where it stands now but it seems like Randall was an afterthought compared to Harris. If Harris is no longer in the plans, anything can happen I suppose.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Some guys out there that I would still like to see the Browns sign for the right price

Jayron Kearse S
Adrian Phillips S
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S
Karl Joseph S

I don't get it ... whats there to be biased about.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

I know it's not going to happen, but at 4 pm today I'd love to see the world announce the coronavirus has disappeared, everyone is healthy, and the NFL season will start on time.

Eh. Priorities.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:15 PM

Hmmmm.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:16 PM
As the days move on, their contracts become cheaper too
Posted By: jfanent Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:24 PM

Hmmmm.

Whoa, that's interesting.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:27 PM

Hmmmm.

If anyone feels like being entertained, I recommend going back and reading some the things posters said about this not being an issue. It's good reading for anyone that is self-quarantined.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:30 PM
Interesting about that quote .. props to him for being honest. We all agree he’s a good dude ... but it’s crazy that so many have mixed opinions about his play
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:40 PM

Hmmmm.

If anyone feels like being entertained, I recommend going back and reading some the things posters said about this not being an issue. It's good reading for anyone that is self-quarantined.
I don't know if it's so interesting that I would go back to look for 'got ya!' moments... but it is pretty interesting.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:44 PM

Jayron Kearse S
Adrian Phillips S
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S
Karl Joseph S

I think this is a sound collection, they should all be affordable options. I think Banner signed somewhere yesterday...Wolfe is interesting because he can bring a veteran leadership role as well, obvious injuries are his biggest drawback. But I wouldn't mind him, hes a high effort player which we need more of. Phillips, Kearse, and Joseph are at the top of my list as well for safety acquisitions.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:49 PM
When there are no offers or discussion during the season, and the new FO is flipped, this is the most likely scenario. It's happened many times before.

A couple posters tried to paint a different picture. Some of them were pretty funny, actually.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:49 PM
I don't get all the hub-bub.

I liked Joe, but if the new regime doesn't feel he fits well enough into the scheme, why lock yourself into him? Maybe we don't have a replacement right this moment, but it also makes no sense to handcuff themselves, if they don't think he is the future.

And the FO that didn't approach him mid-season isn't the one doing the deals now, so that tidbit only insight into the last regime, not the current.

Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:54 PM
rofl ...

Nice STRAW MAN argument .... The two are mutually exclusive but your agenda driven posts would never concede to that ...

What does KJ not offering him a contract last year have to do with Andy deciding Joe’s not worth what he was asking before FA started ... ya ... THATS KJ’S FAULT ... rolleyes ...

Your straw man bs would lead one to believe there was no window for Andy to get a deal done ... what a crock of crap ... sad part is when you not posting your agenda BS you bring a lot to the board ... to bad all u almost always want to do is go with the agenda BS ... thumbsdown

The fact u think Hooper is not overpaid but believe VG is overpaid is all the proof anyone with a brain needs as to just how AGENDA DRIVEN what seems like 90% of your posts are ...
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 03:56 PM
^^ CASE AND POINT ^^
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:00 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boltsfr...argers-pro-bowl

Though the article is from January 2019...Really good article of a safety whom has a high intelligence and build of character. Classic overachiever whom has a pro bowl niche for special teams work as well.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:01 PM
^^ CASE AND POINT ^^

I knew this was going to strike a nerve.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:06 PM
^^ CASE AND POINT ^^

I knew this was going to strike a nerve.

IF the funny bones a nerve, you’d be correct for once ... good for u ... thumbsup
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:09 PM
A simple, "oh geez, I was wrong, I'm sorry," would have sufficed over one of your tribal rants.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:09 PM

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
28m
Broncos acquiring five time Pro Bowler DL Jerrell Casey from Tennessee for Day 3 draft pick. #9sports

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
2m
Source: The #Lions traded for #Patriots DB Duron Harmon.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
22m
With the #Broncos acquiring a big salary in #Titans DT Jurrell Casey, the Joe Flacco situation — likely a release — should be resolved today, source said. Another backup QB on the market.

If anyone picks up Flacco I’ll be shocked
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:13 PM

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
28m
Broncos acquiring five time Pro Bowler DL Jerrell Casey from Tennessee for Day 3 draft pick. #9sports

Huge trade...Casey is yearly an elite player, who is one of the most underrated players...surprised Tennessee got rid of him for cheap.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:13 PM
Joe likes purple.... maybe the Vikings?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
28m

Huge trade...Casey is yearly an elite player, who is one of the most underrated players...surprised Tennessee got rid of him for cheap.

I think his current ontract is a big reason why.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:14 PM
A couple posters tried to paint a different picture. Some of them were pretty funny, actually.

You just love to point fingers don't you? Let's hope you're never wrong. Karma is well.... you know. You have and will be wrong over and over again in the future. Just remember this. wink
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:15 PM
I mentioned this earlier, but the Broncos are quietly getting really good.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

You just love to point fingers don't you? Let's hope you're never wrong. Karma is well.... you know. You have and will be wrong over and over again in the future. Just remember this. wink

"You see....", if don't understand why so many others call you out, then you never will. It 's nothing to do with being wrong or right...It really doesn't. You are missing the entire point.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:19 PM

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
28m

I think his current ontract is a big reason why.

This is probably accurate...saw he still has 41 mill left through the next 3 years...but not bad by any means considering it was a swap of 7th round picks...Broncos did well on that one imho
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:19 PM
I mentioned this earlier, but the Broncos are quietly getting really good.

Agreed...having a nice offseason
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:24 PM
A lot will depend on their QB of course
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:25 PM

Not sure how this would be a strawman argument:

When there are no offers or discussion during the season, and the new FO is flipped, this is the most likely scenario. It's happened many times before.

Those are facts, we've watched it over and over since the advent of free agency.

Previous to this quote from Joe, everything was conjecture, now one part of the equation is clear and the rest of the math can be done. Schobert was never offered a contract or even approached and that's when he knew he was leaving Cleveland. Why? He obviously felt disrespected. He didn't say "that's when I knew I would test the free agent market", he said "that's when I knew I was leaving". Straight from the horses mouth, bro.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE

Not sure how this would be a strawman argument:

Those are facts, we've watched it over and over since the advent of free agency.

Previous to this quote from Joe, everything was conjecture, now one part of the equation is clear and the rest of the math can be done. Schobert was never offered a contract or even approached and that's when he knew he was leaving Cleveland. Why? He obviously felt disrespected. He didn't say "that's when I knew I would test the free agent market", he said "that's when I knew I was leaving". Straight from the horses mouth, bro.

Plus, when that new calendar hits and you see FA just around the corner, why not test the market? Could there be a situation where a signing could happen? Sure. But it's tough considering that environment of flipping regimes and having to start negations from scratch when you know your demand is high.

If the regime has stayed AND if the regime had negotiated in good faith regarding a contact something could happen just before FA.

It didn't.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:29 PM
I don't think (my opinion) that Joe is so much a diva that he felt disrespected and that's why he left.

I think the fact that they weren't even approaching him with anything told him that his best contract offer was coming from elsewhere. I'd be curious to hear if the FO turnover threw any wrinkles into his offseason timeline.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:38 PM
Quote:
I'd be curious to hear if the FO turnover threw any wrinkles into his offseason timeline.

All I know is they met with his team at the combine. What was discussed is anyone's guess.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:44 PM

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
5m
A reunion: The #Saints are close to a deal with safety Malcolm Jenkins — likely bringing back one of their former first-round draft choices and securing their back end. The #Eagles recently parted ways with Jenkins.
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:45 PM
I hear ya. I really don't think it's a "diva" thing, I'll point to Memphis' last post. Free agency is right around the corner, your next move is really just simple common sense. Who here wouldn't want people bidding on their services?

Put yourself in Joe's shoes...

New boss comes in, says the last boss hired crappy employees that couldn't do their job. Hand picks a couple possible replacements for you, never talks to you about your possibility of continued employment even though your contract is coming up. Nasty taste in your mouth, right?

Deciding, at that point, that you'll probably receive better compensation and/or more respect for your services elsewhere would be expected. Doing anything but testing the waters would be absurd.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:45 PM

Jeff Darlington
@JeffDarlington
·
10m
Slight surprise in Charlotte: The Panthers will be releasing safety Eric Reid, source says. Team saw him as a great culture fit, ownership/management really liked him, all seemed well. But team decided to instead go a different way at safety in free agency.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:47 PM
The math is simple and one part of the equation is done ONLY IF u want to leave out the fact that the new FO had plenty of time to re-sign him if they chose too ...

Its a shame you’ve turned onto an agenda driven poster like u have ... What your saying makes no sense ...

The timeline u present leaves the last two months out of the equation like it doesn’t exist ... this FO had plenty of time to sign him if they wanted .. they chose not to ... I’m fine with that ...

#FAKENEWS if u just want to ignore the fact this FO had plenty of time to get a deal done with Joe if they chose too ... and if Joe decided he wanted nothing to do with the new browns ... its a good thing KJ didn’t extend him .. thumbsup
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 04:48 PM
Well of course I am.

rofl
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 05:04 PM

Jeff Darlington
@JeffDarlington
·
10m
Slight surprise in Charlotte: The Panthers will be releasing safety Eric Reid, source says. Team saw him as a great culture fit, ownership/management really liked him, all seemed well. But team decided to instead go a different way at safety in free agency.

Surprised me, as he has been the leader of that secondary the past couple years...Another option for us at SS.
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 05:18 PM
Signing him is not a one-sided process, he's not a slave. I'm sorry you don't understand how free agency works. He obviously made it clear with this front office that he was going to test the waters. The "Joe has earned the right to test free agency" statement from Berry said as much. Just another fact though, not that they matter.

Furthermore, I never said this front office did their due diligence because we don't know. Get it? No facts, just conjecture.

He was never approached by the previous FO. FACT. Twist it anyway you want.

BTW... everyone that doesn't see eye-to-eye with the #clan is an agenda poster. Haven't you learned that yet? Posters here have a choice: Shut up and read only if you have a differing opinion or get labeled.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 05:23 PM
Was he approached by this FO? All I heard them say was he has a right to hit the FA market.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 05:26 PM
j/c:

I don't get the uproar over Joe's supposed comments? We already knew that Dorsey didn't offer him a contract during the season. MKC reported that months ago and it was what set people off about how Dorsey was dropping the ball.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 05:40 PM
Eric Reid might be a fit. I think Berry and Woods could handle his political views. For all his negatives, Haslam seems to be fairly progressive socially/pc-wise.

Plus there are the LSU ties with OBJ and Landry. They were only a draft apart.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 05:47 PM
j/c:

I don't get the uproar over Joe's supposed comments? We already knew that Dorsey didn't offer him a contract during the season. MKC reported that months ago and it was what set people off about how Dorsey was dropping the ball.

That's when everyone claimed he was so good. All that changed.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 05:55 PM
j/c...

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 06:10 PM
j/c:

That's when everyone claimed he was so good. All that changed.

Riiiiiiight.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 06:16 PM
Changes like the weather. I have a compete wardrobe close at my disposal especially designed just to post on this board. wink
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 06:20 PM
Changes like the weather. I have a compete wardrobe close at my disposal especially designed just to post on this board. wink

We are all well aware of your changing ways.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 06:22 PM
After reading that I put on my rain coat.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 06:28 PM
j/c...

Posted By: guard dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 08:52 PM
Was he approached by this FO? All I heard them say was he has a right to hit the FA market.

I have read your post for many, many years. There have been times I have agreed with the positions you've taken. At other times I have have not agreed but I understood and respected your reasoning. I don't make a habit of inserting myself in these trivial squabbles and I will probably regret doing it in this case.

The above remarks by Barry happened at a particular time in a particular place. It was at a Combine press conference. It was widely reported that during the Combine that a meeting took place between the Browns and Schobert's representation. This makes your statement glaringly untrue.

Please don't argue that the timing of the statement was made before Barry met with Schobert's agent. We simply don't know, unless you have documented proof of when the meeting took place relative to the press conference remarks.

Even a single meeting could be enough to jumpstart stalled negotiations. That did not happen. There was an attempt made to find common ground. It was not successful. Case closed. Move on.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 09:36 PM
j/c:

I don't know much about the guy but he is coming from the team where our HC last came from.

*** Goes right to PFF ***
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 09:38 PM
Quote:
** Goes right to PFF ***

Eww.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 09:39 PM
Quote:
Favorite teams and players growing up: “I was a Browns fan. My dad was from Northeast Ohio. I didn’t really have any favorite players. I just loved watching the game.”

Recollections of rooting for the Browns: “It was really devastating when they moved. That kind of hurt us. I always watched the Bears too, because I was born in Chicago and my mother [Julie] is from there. I had them to watch when [the Browns] were gone. When they came back [in 1999], I watched them a lot, even though they had some bad years. Cleveland is a blue-collar city and that’s how the team is – through thick and thin, you stay with the team.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-eng...y-ol-josh-kline
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 10:08 PM

That's a bit more than I was expecting for a 32 year old player. Good for him.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 10:21 PM
As always, the terms are the devil in the details. The contract is only approx half guaranteed. It could be a deal with an out after 2 seasons.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 10:23 PM
As always, the terms are the devil in the details. The contract is only approx half guaranteed. It could be a deal with an out after 2 seasons.

Right. I was talking about the guaranteed money. I didn't expect that much. I was thinking more like one year, $10 million.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 10:49 PM
I’m all for Kline if we can make it work
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 10:52 PM

Why? He is not very good.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 11:06 PM
LOL it's funny how teams are "reporting" their free agent "agrreing to terms"

Latest Browns free agency buzz
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/latest-browns-free-agency-buzz

The views expressed or reported in this article are not confirmed by any member of the Cleveland Browns. rofl
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 11:07 PM
He went to Kent State and he won a Super Bowl. We gotta get this guy!!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 11:07 PM

So Kline was ranked T41st as an OG last year by PFF - a source many including you have referenced multiple times.

The Browns OL was pretty decent last year - and much maligned according to some - how does Kline compare to our OG's last year? I'd be interested to know if he is considered an improvement ... also whether he'd come to Cleveland and be expected to start or add depth.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/18/20 11:36 PM

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
28m

I live in Tennessee and can't help but watch the Titans on a regular basis. I root for them if it doesn't impact the Browns in some way.

He is a very good player.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 01:28 AM
I'd be happy with our FA haul if we finished out with the following two signings and built the rest of the roster through the draft.

1. S Anthony Harris
2. WR Breshad Perriman
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 01:35 AM

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
· 28m
The #Rams are signing former #Lions DT A’Shawn Robinson to a two-year, $17 million deal, his agent, Sean Kiernan of @SelectSports, tells me and @RapSheet.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 01:35 AM

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
34m
The #Packers have agreed to terms with TE Marcedes Lewis on 1-year deal worth $2.25M, including more than $1M guarantee, source said. He drew interest from the #Saints, as well.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 01:36 AM
j/c:

I just heard the Ravens signed Brockers from the Rams? Is that true? If so...............damn!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 01:37 AM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1h
The #Vikings agreed to terms former #Ravens DT Michael Pierce on a 3-year deal worth $27M, source said, with a max of $28M. He gets $18M guaranteed and is back in free agency at 30.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 01:37 AM

Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
· 3h
The #Saints have agreed to terms with safety Malcolm Jenkins, per source.

The terms are as follows:

Four years, $32M - up to 35 max - with $16.25 guaranteed.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 01:44 AM

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
OT Cam Fleming to the #Giants on a one-year deal, source says.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:07 AM

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
OT Cam Fleming to the #Giants on a one-year deal, source says.

Was hoping to ink Cam Fleming as our swing tackle...solid signing for the Giants
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:16 AM

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
34m
The #Packers have agreed to terms with TE Marcedes Lewis on 1-year deal worth $2.25M, including more than $1M guarantee, source said. He drew interest from the #Saints, as well.

Marcedes Lewis is still in the league?!?!?!?!
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:31 AM

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
34m

Pretty much just a blocker nowadays...man I still remember when he was a Jag, and would always run so awkwardly with him being so tall...I think he came into the league with Maurice Jones Drew...light years ago it seems
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:04 AM

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
34m

Pretty much just a blocker nowadays...man I still remember when he was a Jag, and would always run so awkwardly with him being so tall...I think he came into the league with Maurice Jones Drew...light years ago it seems

I used to go to a lot of UCLA games when he was college. It seems like so long ago (it was so long ago).
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:24 AM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

So Kline was ranked T41st as an OG last year by PFF - a source many including you have referenced multiple times.

The Browns OL was pretty decent last year - and much maligned according to some - how does Kline compare to our OG's last year? I'd be interested to know if he is considered an improvement ... also whether he'd come to Cleveland and be expected to start or add depth.

I dont know anything about Kline, but Vikings fans on Twitter are pissed. Most were saying they cut their 2nd best OL.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 05:33 AM
He didn't grade out too well last year.

I think he could be a solid depth signing.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 09:37 AM
I remember him KILLING us a time or two with the Jags (but that’s par for the course with TE’s lol)
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 10:18 AM
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

Jayron Kearse S
Adrian Phillips S
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S
Karl Joseph S

I know Derek and his family, so I would love to see him playing for the Browns.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 10:31 AM

He was on SiriusXM NFL channel talking about the CBA recently. I think the Pat Kirwin show or something.

Seemed like a really good guy
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 12:07 PM
j/c:

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 12:08 PM
I get that he may have connections, but before that matters, he needs to be GOOD.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 12:09 PM
It could be nothing more than a depth signing, if it happens.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 12:13 PM
Depth?
Outside of Conklin and that TE,everyone they've signed would be depth on a good team.
Here they are starters,to be exploited by those good teams.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 12:13 PM
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 02:22 PM

Jayron Kearse S
Adrian Phillips S
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S
Karl Joseph S

I see, thats cool. I always liked him as a player.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 02:27 PM
j/c:

He is also 32 years old.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
The above remarks by Barry happened at a particular time in a particular place. It was at a Combine press conference. It was widely reported that during the Combine that a meeting took place between the Browns and Schobert's representation. This makes your statement glaringly untrue.

Please don't argue that the timing of the statement was made before Barry met with Schobert's agent. We simply don't know, unless you have documented proof of when the meeting took place relative to the press conference remarks.

Even a single meeting could be enough to jumpstart stalled negotiations. That did not happen. There was an attempt made to find common ground. It was not successful. Case closed. Move on.

Here's the bottom line in all of this. Neither Berry nor Dorsey were willing to pay anything close to what Joe wanted to stay here. Both knew the asking price. The only difference I can really see, or anyone can actually substantiate, is that Dorsey realized the two sides were too far apart to find a reasonable middle ground. It seems Berry may have touched base with his agent, which doesn't mean there were anything "close to negotiations", and reached the exact same conclusion Dorsey did.

Two FO's, two different GM's, same results.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:27 PM
j/c:

He is also 32 years old.

Yes, he is.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:41 PM
Sandejo is not a great player .. depth/ST if anything
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:44 PM
Sandejo is not a great player .. depth/ST if anything

To me his is ok. He's is just older relative to other players I would prefer to sign in FA. Long-term, at least.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:44 PM

Jeff Howe
@jeffphowe
·
10m
Aside from Todd Gurley, the Rams have also made Brandin Cooks available in a trade as they attempt to trim salary and restock their draft picks, per source.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:46 PM

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Bengals are signing former #Vikings CB Mackensie Alexander to a one-year, $4 million deal, source said.

I like Alexander
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 03:50 PM

Here's the bottom line in all of this. Neither Berry nor Dorsey were willing to pay anything close to what Joe wanted to stay here. Both knew the asking price. The only difference I can really see, or anyone can actually substantiate, is that Dorsey realized the two sides were too far apart to find a reasonable middle ground. It seems Berry may have touched base with his agent, which doesn't mean there were anything "close to negotiations", and reached the exact same conclusion Dorsey did.

The bottom line is that Scho is gone and there's a gaping hole. There is no concrete news that Berry and Scho's agent even sat down (that I'm aware of). That's a problem, if true. I guess there's a slim chance that Scho was just "done" and was moving on regardless - in that case - Berry gets a pass. Scho seems to say he knew he was done, take it for what it's worth.

As far as Dorsey goes, I don't know how you can say the price was too high, or they were too far apart, when Scho says they were never in talks and he wasn't even approached.

Was there another player on the roster that deserved more attention ahead of free agency? How do we go through an entire season and never even approach the best player in a position of sub-par play? Was there something in the play of Wilson or Taki that said Joe should sit on the back burner as "expendable"? A little mind-boggling to me.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:00 PM
So other than speculation, you have nothing to dispute anything I posted. Thanks.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:10 PM

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Bengals are signing former #Vikings CB Mackensie Alexander to a one-year, $4 million deal, source said.

I like Alexander

I like him too, Bengals got a good deal right there.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:11 PM
So other than speculation, you have nothing to dispute anything I posted. Thanks.

This is guy from the Schobert conversation.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:14 PM
You must have missed it, this still is the Schobert conversation.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:16 PM
Nah.. I don't miss anything. You know that.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:18 PM
You miss a lot.
Posted By: FATE Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:19 PM

So, other than actually reading it, you are spot on with my post.

Schobert said "There were no talks, I was never approached, that's when I knew I was leaving Cleveland."

What's so confusing about that?

You can't call my post speculation, you can only call Schobert a liar. Are you saying he's a liar?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:23 PM
j/c:

Speaking of missing....
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:33 PM
I like the Andrew Billings signing, depth along the Dline was horrid...should be able to give our guys a break here and there.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:36 PM
Was he a starter?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:39 PM

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
5m
49ers just informed starting guard Mike Person that he is being released, per source. A veteran guard now available.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:41 PM
He has started, but was a depth cog initially...still rather young, I used to watch a lot of Bengals games...but honestly didnt watch them much last year as they were horrid. Minimum we stole some talent from a division rival.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:42 PM
Cool thanks
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:43 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:43 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1m
The #Browns are giving DT Andrew Billings a 1-year deal worth $3.5M fully guaranteed, source said. Some heft on their defensive line from someone they’ve played against twice a year.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE

Schobert said "There were no talks, I was never approached, that's when I knew I was leaving Cleveland."

Why would he hold it against the new FO and coaching staff for anything the old FO and coaching staff did?

Are you trying to say the new group offered him what he wanted and he turned it down? I didn't think so.

If that's true, Joe is a moron.
Posted By: Dave Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 05:16 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 05:20 PM
Nickel Roby would be nice ... adding with a FS type
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 05:34 PM
Anyone know of anyone really left at DE that's reasonably priced?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 05:47 PM

Why is every regime allergic to Terrance Mitchell?

I'd argue he's our best corner between him, Ward, and Greedy.

Can't we put all three on the field and slide one inside?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 05:51 PM
Lol Clowney??
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:15 PM
Lol Clowney??

Derek Wolfe, Everson Griffen, Michael Bennett
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:18 PM
I like Wolf, but figured he’d be more of an interior guys
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:19 PM
I like Wolf, but figured he’d be more of an interior guys

He has that versatility for sure.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:24 PM

Let me start by saying I might be in error. By that, I mean before now I understood you to be placing more blame on the new FO for the Schobert fiasco and Dorsey. Which was unfair IMO.

The above seems to acknowledge at least that each party was unsuccessful in getting a deal done. Who was more accountable for that lack of success seems to be the only remaining point of contention. That's nothing more than conjecture. It can't be proven and is mainly fuel for egos on both sides of the arguement.

Thanks for taking my post in the spirit it was intended.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:26 PM

Cam Wake, Ezekiel Ansah, Jabaal Sheard, and many more:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-end/available/
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:28 PM

And Jacksonville has one of the least smart front offices.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:28 PM

It seems that none of them have the skill set to play in the slot. I'd just keep Mitchell as an insurance policy against injuries.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:29 PM
That is what I mean. Both had the exact same net result with the same player and same agent. Not trying to place more or less blame on either. You made your intent as well as tone obvious. I have no problem discussing football with people who have the same desire.

There aren't as many of those people around as there used to be.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:52 PM
I wonder if Sheard is an option
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:52 PM
Can I say that I like what the FO is doing at this point in FA? Getting some veterans on the roster for stability at positions of need on the defense. Reducing the impulse to draft for need. Some might be worth longer term deals at the end of the season depending on their performance and who we draft. Not tying the team to any burdensome contracts that will compromise our ability to resign our core players.
Even signing Sendejo who can still play at age 32 to a short term deal while we get a rookie ready to play makes sense. He was depth behind Anthony Harris but I would feel comfortable with his veteran experience as the last line of defense.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 06:56 PM
I think they've done a pretty good job too.

Even some of the criticism seems to about players the coaching staff plans to use as depth and rotation that posters have mistaken for players that will start.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:30 PM

It seems that none of them have the skill set to play in the slot. I'd just keep Mitchell as an insurance policy against injuries.

Agreed
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:33 PM

rofl

couldn't resist...lol laugh I loved Randall and all I know is he must have been doing something attitude wise possibly he really like Hue??? Don't know but thought the kid played excellent football. Wish he was on our roster.

nobodies laughing wink
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:52 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:53 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:53 PM
Wow.
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:54 PM
Wow...too bad we don't need an RB...RAMS seem to be a team that shot their hmmm can't say that can I...
they went to average pretty quick.
jmho
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:54 PM
Is Matthews worth a look he probably wants BIG $$$$$
Posted By: Dave Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:54 PM

They also cut Clay Matthews, according to 92.3 The Fan.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:55 PM
The Rams paid their running back so much that they can’t keep their running back.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:57 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 07:57 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:00 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:00 PM
We should sign him to a reasonable deal, then trade him to them for their 1st rounder, leaving us to only eat the signing bonus rofl
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:02 PM

They also cut Clay Matthews, according to 92.3 The Fan.

Yep...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:09 PM
It’s going to stink when we don’t sign Nick Chubb to an extension but it’ll be the right decision.
Posted By: Dave Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:17 PM

He'll be 34 in May, so he's still got 5-6 good years left, being a Matthews.

It would be pretty damn cool to see Clay III wearing the orange and brown, in a # 57 jersey to honor his old man.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:29 PM
Sign the Clay! Boy, would that be amazing!

Make it so, Number One! Engage. thumbsup brownie
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:36 PM
It’s going to stink when we don’t sign Nick Chubb to an extension but it’ll be the right decision.

I'm not sure if we can, yet. There are rules surrounding when you can start doing that with guys that are still on their rookie deals, but I'm not sure what those restrictions are off the top of my head.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:44 PM
I would love to get Mathews on a short term deal. His work ethic would be great to get Taki and Mack around. Plus he is still pretty good.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:47 PM
Sad news about Sean Payton, hope he makes a full recovery
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:50 PM
Agreed. I doubt that either Mack or Taki are better than him, even as he's aged, so I would definitely not be averse to a short term deal for him, for all the reasons above.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 08:56 PM
Finishing his career where his father was a legend would have to be appealing to him. He would be an instant fan favorite.

Make it happen
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 09:21 PM
The tea leaves were there for a release/trade of Gurley for a while ... simply got old fast. He’ll sign somewhere for sure, but I think he’s done
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 09:24 PM
The tea leaves were there for a release/trade of Gurley for a while ... simply got old fast. He’ll sign somewhere for sure, but I think he’s done
yeah his suddenness just disappeared...someone will get him though...maybe Tampa Bay
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 09:25 PM
They were definitely one of the first teams I thought of too ... and Baltimore, Indy, Buffalo, Seattle
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 09:26 PM

So far, we are not building the team with the same crazed overspending that the Rams did. We'll be in better shape to retain Chubb.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 09:56 PM
j/c:

I don't know if Gurley got "old fast," but that knee took a lot of his explosiveness and quickness away. Pretty sad, really.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I'm not sure if we can, yet. There are rules surrounding when you can start doing that with guys that are still on their rookie deals, but I'm not sure what those restrictions are off the top of my head.

I meant when he is eligible (which is after a player’s third season.)
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 10:24 PM

He'll be 34 in May, so he's still got 5-6 good years left, being a Matthews.

It would be pretty damn cool to see Clay III wearing the orange and brown, in a # 57 jersey to honor his old man.

He'd sure bring some fire to the D that would be much appreciated.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 10:25 PM

So far, we are not building the team with the same crazed overspending that the Rams did. We'll be in better shape to retain Chubb.

Some may argue that signing Chubb to an extension at all is a bad choice.

I’d let him play out his contract and then franchise him.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 10:40 PM
Franchising him could be the way to go. I also presume that analytics would suggest adding a younger back sometime prior to his current contract ending.

I'm really not of the dispassionate temperament that really wants to think about the end of the Chubb era. I also don't want to sign him to the equivalent of a Zeke Elliot contract.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 10:45 PM
BTW, I found a pretty cool Website for those who don't have paid access to PFF. It doesn't grade game performance but it does offer expanded stats. It contains some OL stats too.

NFL Pllayer Stats
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 11:16 PM
j/c,

So I take it the news of signing Safety Andrew Sendejo was not so air tight?
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/19/20 11:26 PM
Patriots signed S Adrian Phillips... still hoping we can get another safety in here...wouldn't mind Tavon Wilson.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 02:12 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-f...ew-league-year/
Posted By: Hammer Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 02:13 AM
For what it is worth...
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 06:07 AM

Randall quit last year.

I don't want anyone like that near my team.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 06:20 AM
I would sign Matthews in a heartbeat if it was a fairly reasonable deal. He is a legacy player. His father is a legend that every Browns fan loved. He's still a very good Defensive end and could play opposite Miles. We need another pass rusher and he would fit the bill nicely.

Of COURSE, you sign Nick Chubb to a contract when it is time. He's one of the best running backs in the league and with this offense that actually means something. Allowing one of the best players in the league to walk because you think the position is "devalued" is crazy. Ask the Titans if the running back position is important or not... For that matter ask the Rams. Since Gurley got hurt they haven't done anything. If he were healthy they would have gladly kept him on that contract. The same goes for Seattle. When they had Beast Mode they were dangerous. Without that stud RB, they aren't nearly as scary.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 09:13 AM

Randall quit last year.

I don't want anyone like that near my team.
agreed
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 09:13 AM
I didn’t watch much of the Rams, so I don’t know the answer: but was he productive last season? Is his age catching up to him? Is he even worth a look?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 12:17 PM
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 12:42 PM
I think Clay Matthews started the season on fire (off the top of my head he had like 6 sacks super quickly...once again I'm sure that number may be incorrect) he got hurt...missed a chunk of the season, then came back...but I recall he started on fire...Injuries and price tag will have to be monitored with him
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 02:02 PM
Saw Haha Clinton Dix signed with the Cowboys, he would have been ideal.
Posted By: BpG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 03:02 PM
Unimaginable that Todd Gurley signed a one year deal. Get your money fellas.

Re: Damarious Randall, he was a malcontent in Green Bay and he was a malcontent here.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 03:10 PM
j/c,

So I take it the news of signing Safety Andrew Sendejo was not so air tight?

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 03:19 PM
Prediction: we’re drafting a safety in the first three rounds ... both the guys we signed for 1 year
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 05:07 PM

Stephen Watson
@WISN_Watson
·
19m
Sources tell me Melvin Gordon is close to finalizing a deal with the Denver Broncos.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 05:26 PM
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
Source: The #Steelers are signing TE Eric Ebron to a 2-year deal worth $12M. Another target for Big Ben.

I have a feeling that’ll be a good fit
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 05:33 PM
Good signing. He's a good player.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 06:12 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Hammer Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 06:51 PM
Next up on the ex-Vikings train - Everson Griffin.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer

Why not? We just signed a 32 year old Safety.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 07:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer

We could definitely use a proven DE to add to our rotation, would not be opposed to that.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 08:13 PM
Everson Griffen set to leave Vikings; Browns, Cowboys have interest in Pro Bowl pass rusher
By Cody Benjamin 1h ago • 2 min read

After 10 years with the Minnesota Vikings, Everson Griffen is moving on. Almost a month after opting out of his contract with the team, the veteran pass rusher has cut off negotiations with Minnesota regarding a potential reunion, setting his sights instead on landing elsewhere in free agency.
That's according to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, who relayed Friday a statement from Griffen's agent, Brian Murphy: "We have broken off talks with Minnesota because they have to spend their money elsewhere and we decided to now focus our attention on free agency."
The 32-year-old Griffen initiated his potential departure by opting out, voiding the final three seasons of a four-year extension inked in 2017, but all signs previously pointed to the defensive end re-signing with the Vikings on a smaller deal earlier this offseason. Coach Mike Zimmer, in fact, even went out of his way to say Minnesota wanted Griffen back, and Griffen himself said following the 2019 season that he desired to be a "Viking for life."
Now, it appears the divorce is final. It's unclear if money remained a sticking point, but the Vikings remain one of the most cap-strapped teams in the NFL, even after cutting other notable defensive starters like Xavier Rhodes and Linval Joseph to save money.

Griffen, on the other hand, is expected to find a relatively hot market now that he's publicly moved on from Minnesota.
CBS Sports' Patrik Walker reports that the Dallas Cowboys have interest in the 32-year-old defensive end, and Griffen himself has already hinted the interest is mutual. Dallas just recently struck a three-year agreement with fellow veteran D-lineman Gerald McCoy but figures to be in the market for help opposite Demarcus Lawrence.
The Cleveland Browns are also a likely suitor, according to a league source, as they weigh the future of DE Olivier Vernon. The Browns have been more than willing to shell out money for defensive help this offseason, they remain flush with cap space, and they've got several notable connections to Griffen from his time in Minnesota -- including coach Kevin Stefanski and defensive assistant Jeff Howard, who spent seven years on the Vikings' staff.
Griffen missed five games in 2018 due to some headlining mental-health issues, but he rebounded in 2019 with eight sacks and the fourth Pro Bowl nod of his career. The former All-Pro has played at least 15 games in eight of his last nine seasons, and he's had at least eight sacks in six of his last eight years.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/evers...impression=true
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 10:19 PM
I guess we have to decide: who’s better, Vernon or Griffen?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 10:26 PM

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
48m
Former #Packers FB Danny Vitale has
agreed to terms with the #Patriots, per his agent
@ChrisCabott
of
@SteinbergSports
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 11:13 PM
Is Griffin the dude who kinda freaked out and missed games a year or two ago for mental problems?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 11:17 PM
Is Griffin the dude who kinda freaked out and missed games a year or two ago for mental problems?

Yes
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 11:24 PM
Thought so. Thanks.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 11:28 PM

Vernon or Griffen and a little more cap space?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/20/20 11:59 PM

Vernon or Griffen and a little more cap space?
yeah, if he’s a cheaper option
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 12:13 AM
I still think a lot of folks underrate Vernon on here. I thought he was a huge help for Myles when both were in the lineup together. Unfortunately, injuries and a suspension derailed it a bit...........but, the Browns have something special w/those two guys. No need to blow it up.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 12:37 AM
I agree with that take. My only beef is that Vernon can't stay healthy a point a friend of mine, who is a Giants fan, mentioned when we traded for him. When Vernon is healthy he may be in the top 20 best at his position especially with MG playing on the same line. I say keep him and hope for good healthy; and no suspensions!!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 12:42 AM
Yeah, the injuries are a concern. Of course, so are mental health concerns.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 01:23 AM
I've read some opinions that basically stated that Vernon played fairly well last year...especially including areas that aren't stat-related.

I think his performance AND his health are secondary to the $$$ he's due to make...in the big picture anyway. JMO
Posted By: chet the jet Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 01:39 AM
or who'll be healthier.
Posted By: mac Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 01:54 PM
Yeah, the injuries are a concern. Of course, so are mental health concerns.

Vers...just what mental health concerns you talking about?

Anyone can have mental health issues due to imbalances of the natural chemicals in the brain. Those conditions are treatable and once a proper balance is found, that individual might be fine.

Everson Griffen is a "warrior", earning Pro Bowl honors in 4 of his last 5 years...including in 2019, year 10 of his career. Griffen missed only 9 starts over the 6 seasons.

Given Olivier Vernon's inability to stay healthy the last 3 seasons, adding quality depth might be a good idea. Vernon missed 15 starts over the last 3 seasons, including missing 6 games last season.

I would sign Griffen...

Posted By: guard dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 02:26 PM
Griffen has acknowledged suffering some kind of mental health disorder but also to getting treatment for the problem. It might be Depression, not sure. Apparently it is under control enough that he played with it last season. The specifics might be hard to come by because of HIPPA considerations.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 04:10 PM
Dov Kleiman
@NFL_DovKleiman
·
9m
#Colts cutting CB Pierre Desir, a starter the past 3 seasons, per
@RapSheet
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 04:20 PM
From memory, Griffin was threatening to shoot someone at the team's hotel. He then was said to break into a teammate's home. The police allegedly arrested him, but the Vikings denied his arrest. So, I'm not sure if he was or not. Shortly afterwards, his wife called the police on him. He wasn't reacting well to medical personnel and the police assisted in putting him in an ambulance and taking him to a mental health facility.

I'm not claiming that we shouldn't sign him. I'm saying that it would be something that might make me hesitate to sign him. You may disagree and that is fine.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 04:25 PM
Anyone think our free agency choices are based primarily on money ball stats? Might explain why we have no namers being signed. Maybe on moneyball stats standards they are ideal?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Anyone think our free agency choices are based primarily on money ball stats? Might explain why we have no namers being signed. Maybe on moneyball stats standards they are ideal?

Huh? Jack Conklin and Austin Hooper are no-namers? Oy vey.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 04:39 PM
Dov Kleiman
@NFL_DovKleiman
·
9m
@RapSheet

I used to think he might make an interesting FS.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 04:51 PM
I didnt say they were all no namers
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 04:51 PM
It wouldn't hurt to give him a shot.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 06:00 PM

Aaron Wilson
@AaronWilson_NFL
·
52m
OL Eric Kush has agreed to terms with the Las Vegas Raiders per his agent
@ChrisCabott
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 06:04 PM

Aaron Wilson
@AaronWilson_NFL
·
52m
OL Eric Kush has agreed to terms with the Las Vegas Raiders per his agent
@ChrisCabott

Whew! We dodged that bullet.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 06:06 PM

I think we targeted and got the higher priced guys we were after, and now we're shopping the bargain bin to fill out the bottom of the roster.

Unless something breaks in the Clowney arena, I don't think you will see us buy any more high-priced guys. We filled holes, now we add talent in the Draft.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 06:13 PM
The job of a GM is to get better in all positions both from the position of starters to depth. You look at the entire roster and improve where you can.

This the approach I see being used here. This is no different than any other off season in that respect.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 06:56 PM
GC, Will the Browns have a winning season again? When?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 07:02 PM
I sure would love to know what the plan at LBer is now, what it was when we started and how it evolved to get to where were at now ...
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 07:36 PM
I would like to see us pick up Mathews on a 1 or 2 year contract. outside of that, waiting to see what we do in the draft.
Posted By: Jester Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I sure would love to know what the plan at LBer is now, what it was when we started and how it evolved to get to where were at now ...

I have not seen these guys myself but had this thought and would like to get the opinion of people who have actually laid eyes on these players.

Assuming Derrick Brown and Isaiah Simmons are both taken before our pick (those are the 2 players at 10 that I really like should they drop)

Trade down a few spots and draft Kenneth Murray LB Oklahoma
Then in Round 2 come back and grab Ezra Cleveland OT Boise St or Calvin Throckmorton OT Oregon or Lucas Niang OT TCU.

Thoughts?
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 08:27 PM
With Kush gone, would the Browns have any interest in Mike Person? The '49ers released him. I think he's only about 32 years old. Their run game was excellent.

Person, who occupied the only locker next to Jimmy Garoppolo, was due to make $2.7 million this season as part of a three-year extension he signed last year.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 09:08 PM

I have not seen these guys myself but had this thought and would like to get the opinion of people who have actually laid eyes on these players.

Assuming Derrick Brown and Isaiah Simmons are both taken before our pick (those are the 2 players at 10 that I really like should they drop)

Then in Round 2 come back and grab Ezra Cleveland OT Boise St or Calvin Throckmorton OT Oregon or Lucas Niang OT TCU.

Thoughts?

I think there is a fairly good chance one of Brown or Simmons is there at #10.

I like your thoughts on the tackles as well.

I know many are hell bent on drafting a LT at 10, but there are others who are good. IMO only Wills and Thomas are top 10 players. Becton and Whirfs are more mid round guys.
Posted By: Dave Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 09:25 PM

Thoughts?

If Simmons or Brown fall fall to 10, I'd want to take either (preferably Simmons), but then I'd try to trade back into the later 1st round to take either Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, or Ezra Cleveland (in that order) because I believe that once the run on LT starts its going to be heavy in the 1st round. We have to come out of this draft with a starting LT, at least as things stand right now - unless we sign Jason Peters.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Dov Kleiman
@NFL_DovKleiman
·
9m
@RapSheet

I used to think he might make an interesting FS.

He was a decent zone CB in 2018.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Thoughts?

I know many are hell bent on drafting a LT at 10, but there are others who are good. IMO only Wills and Thomas are top 10 players. Becton and Whirfs are more mid round guys.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 09:41 PM
Sorry. I posted it, agree with it, apparently hijacked it somehow. My apologies. Stuff happening in the post that I don't do.

Bad enough to respond to myself, so I won't punch up a 'like' to boot. I like Simmons and think we draft two tackles.

Carry on. Somebodystake a rightful claim to it.
Posted By: Jester Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 09:42 PM

Thoughts?

I think that it is much more likely than not, that both Simmons and Brown are gone by pick 10.
Anybody have any thoughts on Murray?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 11:04 PM

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
3h
Source: The #Colts are releasing QB Brian Hoyer, and he’s now a free agent. The former #Patriots backup on the move.
Posted By: Dave Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 11:15 PM
The former and soon-to-be current Patriots' back-up QB, I would guess.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/21/20 11:24 PM
The former and soon-to-be current Patriots' back-up QB, I would guess.
same here
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 12:32 AM

Huh? Jack Conklin and Austin Hooper are no-namers? Oy vey.

I don't think the FO is about Moneyball right now, but I think you may have misinterpreted his post.

I read it as the Browns signed a couple of big names early and the signings after that have been rather dismal. Cheap contracts for guys who are not very good players and/or have injury concerns.

I get that a lot of folks don't want anyone to criticize the new FO after they just bashed the previous one for two years.............but, not every move is golden.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 02:31 AM

Thoughts?

I’m guessing you meant mid-first round, and not mid round.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 01:23 PM
Anyone have an update on our available cap space? (after the first wave of FA signings)
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 02:58 PM
Anyone have an update on our available cap space? (after the first wave of FA signings)
I had read that we were still in better shape than most teams
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 03:09 PM
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
On this chart, on this day, the Browns have the most cap space and have the 3rd youngest team at 25.54. Only #17 Jax at 25.2, and #20 NYG at 25.32 are younger.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 04:34 PM
That’s why it’s so annoying if we lose again this year ... last year we had talent, youth, cap space, etc .. but still sucked

We have to take advantage of our youth/talent/cap space this year and next year
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 05:24 PM
I disagree completely that it has been a moneyball approach.

I'll leave the regime wars to others.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 05:47 PM
Cap space source: spotrac.com
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 07:26 PM
There it is

Jim McBride
@globejimmcbride
·
6m
BREAKING: The #Patriots have reached agreements with QB Brian Hoyer and former Jets LB Brandon Copeland today. This will be Hoyer's third tour of duty with in New England.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 07:26 PM

Rich Cimini
@RichCimini
·
1h
The #Jets have agreed to a one-year deal with former Colts CB Pierre Desir, a source confirmed (as
@Connor_J_Hughes
said). Much-needed CB help.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 07:46 PM
There it is

Jim McBride
@globejimmcbride
·
6m
BREAKING: The #Patriots have reached agreements with QB Brian Hoyer and former Jets LB Brandon Copeland today. This will be Hoyer's third tour of duty with in New England.

It was written in stone *L*
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 08:01 PM

Thank you sir...was wondering if we would still be in the market for another good option in FA.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 08:02 PM

Good stuff, thank you
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 08:56 PM

Thank you sir...was wondering if we would still be in the market for another good option in FA.
I bet nothing major ... unless they come cheaper
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 11:15 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 11:30 PM
The Falcons have agreed to terms with OL Justin McCray, who played last season for the Browns and previously played for the Packers, a source said. The versatile lineman played in 15 games last season (four starts) and has 15 career starts to his credit.

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41093305-4
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/22/20 11:38 PM
Falcons are signing former Vikings’ first-round pick, WR Laquon Treadwell.

@AdamSchefter
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 12:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Falcons are signing former Vikings’ first-round pick, WR Laquon Treadwell.

@AdamSchefter
there’s a name that just cant get it to click, much like Perriman used to be
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 12:29 AM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
On this chart, on this day, the Browns have the most cap space and have the 3rd youngest team at 25.54. Only #17 Jax at 25.2, and #20 NYG at 25.32 are younger.

But...........Dorsey left this team "a mess."
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 12:33 AM
I disagree completely that it has been a moneyball approach.

I'll leave the regime wars to others.

Not sure why you posted that to me?

Here is what I said:

Quote:

I don't think the FO is about Moneyball right now, but I think you may have misinterpreted his post.

I think you play the regime wars more than I do. Just sayin'.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 12:34 AM
Who cares anymore? We are at the cusp of the end. Wave after wave is going to hit us. Football is over.
Posted By: Dave Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 12:44 AM
Who cares anymore? We are at the cusp of the end. Wave after wave is going to hit us. Football is over.

Is this facetious? China is recovering. S Korea is recovering. But the greatest country in the history of the world, the United States of America is finished? Come on man, get a grip.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 06:05 AM

Mingo was never as good as we all hoped he would be but it’s kind of cool to see a guy carve out a role for himself and last in the league eight years.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 09:49 AM
Yeah, Mingo has definitely made a career for himself. Not worth his draft slot, but certainly not close to the worst pick we’ve had
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 03:00 PM
It amazes me how many of our castoffs go on to have careers elsewhere and hang in the league for years. It irks me when our current guys are not as good as said castoffs.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 03:38 PM
Our mistake is that we keep drafting career journeymen like Mingo in the 1st round and look for them to be elite-level saviors.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 03:39 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 03:42 PM
With XFL Done For Year, Browns Should Look at Storm Norton
https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-mav...at-storm-norton

With so many sports either suspending or cancelling their seasons in wake of the COVID-1 concerns, the XFL was one of the leagues that decided to cancel the remainder of its season as the league was set to end during the spring. Although the season was cut short, there were players that had already done enough to warrant consideration for NFL teams, including offensive tackle Storm Norton, who played for the Los Angeles Wildcats. For the Cleveland Browns, who need offensive tackle help, the XFL season being cut short could be an opportunity to sign Norton as free agency is set to kick off on March 18th.

Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski is familiar with Norton, who was with the Vikings in 2018. Coming out of the University of Toledo, Norton was an athletic tackle prospect with ideal length for the position, but just needed to continue his development. The XFL provided an opportunity for Norton to get game reps and he showed to be one of, if not the best offensive linemen in the league.

Norton turns 26 in May, he's got familiarity in the wide zone scheme the Browns intend to run and offers an upside move that can theoretically be part of a plan to overhaul the position. If he can provide depth, it's a worthwhile move for the team because he clearly has the potential to get better as he's shown in the XFL. He's 6'7 1/2" and listed at 317 pounds now.

It remains to be seen if that upside will be enough to start, but from an athletic profile standpoint, he's got everything necessary to be an excellent tackle. It's a similar situation as Brian O'Neill, who came into the league as an undersized tackle prospect that needed to continue adding strength. He ultimately did that and became an effective right tackle for the Vikings. O'Neill was also a second round pick where Norton was an undrafted free agent so there's more patience for the team to stick with them.

Norton had to do some of this on his own, taking the opportunity to go play in the XFL. The fact the league is being shut down for the year right as the NFL league year is about to start could be beneficial for players who still have dreams of playing in the NFL. Norton could be one of the players that stands the most to gain
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 03:45 PM
It definitely cannot hurt to give the guy a minimum contract, but we will probably wait until after the Draft before signing guys like this.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 04:21 PM
I liked Walker when he was with the Colts in the preseason ... he hurt us in the game IIRC
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 04:35 PM
I think Walker played for Ruhle at Temple???
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 05:15 PM
I think Walker played for Ruhle at Temple???
I believe so
Posted By: eotab Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 05:35 PM
A cheap one year deal we can use another old guy to play tag team with Vernon for that DE spot opposite of Garrett. Its a move done later in the FA period where he would accept the one year deal. But I don't think our guys really know the love we had for his dad making this a fan favorite.

Of course fan favorite would be anyone helping us to get to the playoffs and beyond!!

jmho
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 09:23 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 09:34 PM
Well, I can see why we couldn't sign Schobert then .... crazy banghead
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 09:38 PM

Didn't want to is more like it.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 09:42 PM

That was kind of my unstated point.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/23/20 10:18 PM
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 12:56 PM

Does this include all our free agent signings this offseason?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 01:09 PM
It said as of this AM on March 23. So that's the way I took it.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 01:15 PM
So, no then.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 01:45 PM

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 02:56 PM
Cam Newton released today ... does he end up with NE or LAC?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 03:12 PM

Wanted to...didn't want to pay what Joe thought he was worth.

Same went for Kirksey.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Wanted to...didn't want to pay what Joe thought he was worth.

Same went for Kirksey.

Joe got what he wanted, and quickly, so he was worth what he thought he was ..... just not to our guys.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 04:18 PM
Joe and Kirksey were not worth what they were asking for.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 04:35 PM
Jacksonville and Green Bay disagree w/you.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 04:40 PM
Neither. He's toast.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 04:51 PM

Suggesting or implying - as you have - that Green Bay are value Kirksey close to what the Brown's were due to pay him is somewhat misleading (at best).

https://overthecap.com/player/christian-kirksey/3010/

2019 Browns
Base $7,000,000 $1,200,000 $0 $0 $0 $7,000,000 $8,200,000 4.4% $7,000,000
2020 Packers
Base $1,750,000 $2,000,000 $0 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $4,125,000 2.1% $7,000,00

Kirksey was due to make $8.75 Million in 2020 with the Browns. He signed a $13M contract over 2 years with GB. This link says his cap number in 2020 is $4.125M ....
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Joe and Kirksey were not worth what they were asking for.

John Dorsey and Andrew Berry agree with you.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 05:14 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Suggesting or implying - as you have - that Green Bay are value Kirksey close to what the Brown's were due to pay him is somewhat misleading (at best).

https://overthecap.com/player/christian-kirksey/3010/

2019 Browns
Base $7,000,000 $1,200,000 $0 $0 $0 $7,000,000 $8,200,000 4.4% $7,000,000
2020 Packers
Base $1,750,000 $2,000,000 $0 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $4,125,000 2.1% $7,000,00

Kirksey was due to make $8.75 Million in 2020 with the Browns. He signed a $13M contract over 2 years with GB. This link says his cap number in 2020 is $4.125M ....

I read where the Browns offered Kirksey an incentive-laden deal that would have allowed him to reach the $$$ from his original contract. He wasn't willing to bet on himself...not that I blame him.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 07:54 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/24/20 11:13 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/25/20 03:26 AM
Eifert to the Jags

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-two-year-deal/
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/25/20 04:10 AM
The Panthers signed Robby Anderson.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1242535514001063937

I am not sure what their plan is right now. It seemed like they were going to tank but they've also made some "win now" type signings. It'll be interesting to see how Teddy Bridgewater does targeting Anderson deep.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/25/20 08:53 AM
That’s a sneaky good signing IMO
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/25/20 11:03 AM
I'm not sure what the Jets plan is right now. They've done almost nothing in FA and now just let Darnold's favorite weapon walk. Darnold literally has nothing to work with. Doesn't seem like they are setting him up for success.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Free Agency Part 3 - 03/25/20 01:08 PM
I'm not sure what the Jets plan is right now. They've done almost nothing in FA and now just let Darnold's favorite weapon walk. Darnold literally has nothing to work with. Doesn't seem like they are setting him up for success.

Agreed
© DawgTalkers.net