DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: DiamDawg Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 05:33 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/20...son/5413210002/

Buccaneers' Donovan Smith: NFL players' return to action amid coronavirus pandemic 'does not seem like a risk worth taking'

In an Instagram post Friday, Tampa Bay Buccaneers left tackle Donovan Smith expressed concern over the NFL's return plan and the risk of playing football amid the coronavirus pandemic.

While Smith did not say whether he would opt out of the upcoming season, he questioned the safety of returning to play.

"To continue discussing the many UNKNOWNS do not give me the comfort," the post read. "Risking my health as well as my family’s health does not seem like a risk worth taking."

Smith, who has a baby due in three weeks, worried that because his position requires contact on every play, he would not be able to take proper precautions to ensure he did not bring the virus back to his household.

The NFL recently proposed to the NFLPA that 35 percent of players' 2020 salaries be placed in escrow for the upcoming season. Smith took issue with that proposal, saying, "That should at LEAST warrant a pay raise due to the risk, not a cut."

Last week, JC Tretter, a center for the Cleveland Browns and the president of the NFLPA, criticized the NFL's health and safety protocols, saying the league was "unwilling to prioritize player safety." The NFLPA has also asked for no preseason games to be played to minimize health risks.

With just over two weeks until training camps start, the continued fight over health and safety protocols between the league and its players remains a significant roadblock.

Smith, a second-round pick out of Penn State in 2015 who has been a five-year starter for the Buccaneers, ended his post with a strongly-worded sentiment.

"I am not a lab rat or guinea pig to test theories on," Smith said. "I am a man, a son, brother, soon to be father, and I deserve to be safe at work."
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 05:41 PM
To each their own. I have feeling if they actually go through with trying to have a season, by the middle of the season it will look like a rerun of the movie "The Replacements".

But each person has to do what they feel is right for their family and loved ones. As of now this virus is worse than it's ever been. I won't get into the reasons why because this isn't the forum for that. But let's just say that compared to the rest of the globe, we couldn't have botched this up any worse if that had been the actual goal from the start.

I won't blame anyone who doesn't play. No matter what any of us feel about missing sports, here's the one most important thing that should ring true for all of us...

Quote:
"I am not a lab rat or guinea pig to test theories on," Smith said. "I am a man, a son, brother, soon to be father, and I deserve to be safe at work."
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 05:42 PM
Bound to happen. The number of players who agree with this will grow. It's their right.

Another reason we will not see true, unfettered professional football until 2021.
Posted By: mac Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 05:49 PM
The NFL will insist that they have a plan in place to insure the players safety...

...and that plan will work UNTIL players begin to test positive for C-19!

THEN WHAT?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 05:54 PM

As much as we all want the games played.

Each person be that player, coach, or staff all have to determine for themselves: is the risk worth it?

I said in "games without fans" that this could very easily come downs to guys on the extended 90+ man roster playing.

The guys who are hungry. That are willing to take the risk for the dough.

Like Baseball this will be an asterisk season.

Have no idea how all this will turn out. NFLPA is a union. A Union's primary goal is to protect it's members.

There will be some peer pressure. But each person has the right to do as they see fit.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 06:20 PM
That’s my thing with HS sports in PA ... like, this is the plan ... until it’s not the plan ... so then what’s the plan?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 07:37 PM
They should just freeze this season, and start again when there is a vaccine, or this has passed.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
They should just freeze this season, and start again when there is a vaccine, or this has passed.

Both of these could be many, many years down the road. Sports leagues will have folded by then.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 11:12 PM
What happened in 1918 during the Spanish influenza? That pandemic was 50 times worse than this one (looking at deaths).

I haven't heard anything about major sports shutting down during those years.

Were there a number of players who got infected then?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/11/20 11:32 PM
I’m not sure at all. I know I’ve seen pictures of baseball games being played
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/12/20 03:11 AM
I think all eyes are on MLB and NBA right now, especially nba, they are the easily the most vulnerable to spread. If they are able to ok, I think other leagues will take away and develop ways to make their league work
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/12/20 03:26 AM
The season isn't going to happen.

Let's quit the charade.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/12/20 01:19 PM
j/c

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/cricket/51415541

CRICKET - England, Australia, West Indies, India

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/53137965
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53377081

SOCCER - England, Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Portugal, etc

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/formula1/52891706

F1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/tennis/53139785

TENNIS

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53362990
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/harlem...42b34b7eba0a519

RUGBY - England, Australia, NZ,
---------------------------------------------------------------
Something very wrong with the USA if we can't muster the procedures, will and compromise needed to play Pro Sports this fall.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/12/20 01:58 PM
In come states, where would you put say a dozen players. Not enough beds in multiple places for ICU right now. If we open schools, expect more numbers and casualties than we can imagine. I want sports again, but not at any price. I do not trust a bunch political decision makers or big money reps. It is headed out of control. No preseason seems valid to me. Larger roster and PS may well be needed. Maybe a conditional 6-week player opt out?
I respect everybody waving off playing in this current situation. Seems confounded by a coordinated confederacy of dunces. Just the old saw as I see those pushing for opening/playing/etc. being at lessened risk than those they are "requiring" to perform:

What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right."

Be safe dawgs. thumbsup
Posted By: mac Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/12/20 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Let's quit the charade.

I'm still waiting for the NFL to provide a realistic plan.

What if teams begin to lose their starters due to C-19?

If one player of a team tests positive, chances are they have exposed their teammates and possibly players of opponents.

Players will test positive and some players will get the virus....what will the NFL do when this happens?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/12/20 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: mac

Let's quit the charade.

If one player of a team tests positive, chances are they have exposed their teammates and possibly players of opponents.

Players will test positive and some players will get the virus....what will the NFL do when this happens?

That is what I have been saying. You could have entire teams out of action for 2 weeks. You could have teams down 5-6 starting players. That isn't competitive balance. You can't make up games. You could have states or at least cities with quarantine orders in place.

I think the NFL is trying to make a plan, but this is next to impossible to plan. I promise you that plenty of players are going to sit. All of the players are young. Many to most have young children who might not be able to go to school.

Lucky for them most have enough money to get through. They don't have to punch the time clock (be there a actual time clock or not) to put food on the table and pay the rent like most people. If you don't have to take the risk, why risk it? If you don't have to, minimize your risk by only going to the grocery store a time or two a week. Maybe out to dinner at places that maintain safe standards, or stick the Arby's drive thru window.

I understand we have to remain open as best possible. People need to work, for money and sanity. We can't keep sending out stimulus and unemployment checks, but it isn't safe for sweaty players to be blocking and tackling each other.

If you had a son in high school or college at this point, would you want him playing football in September? I know I wouldn't. Maybe you do, or more likely a grandson.

I know you played center in the leather helmet era. lol

That is a friendly poke in the ribs Mac.....just kidding around my friend, but my point is serious. Why would anybody put their kids at more risk than necessary?
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 01:27 AM
The nation's junior colleges have decided to move fall sports to spring 2021. (NJCAA). https://www.njcaa.org/general/2019-20/releases/20200713l9o7t8
Just start the NFL in January...screw basketball. Super Bowl in June...Yeah baby!
Posted By: mac Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 01:02 PM
[quote=Ballpeen]The season isn't going to happen.

Let's quit the charade.

That is what I have been saying. You could have entire teams out of action for 2 weeks. You could have teams down 5-6 starting players. That isn't competitive balance. You can't make up games. You could have states or at least cities with quarantine orders in place.

I think the NFL is trying to make a plan, but this is next to impossible to plan. I promise you that plenty of players are going to sit.

IMO, the NFL and NFLPA should focus on long term plans that focus on medicine and science.

Until there is a long term fix in place that assures the safety of all involved..players, coaches, fans, etc... planning for a 2020 NFL season should be placed on hold.

The NFL and NFLPA should be focused on meeting "priorities" first...they need to wait on medicine and science to do their part...until "A VACINE" is developed that protects all involved, playing football should be placed on hold, imo.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 01:48 PM
NOW a few drug companies say they'll have a vaccine by the END OF THE SUMMER. And they're already gearing up to have over 100,000,000 doses ready to go.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 02:19 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
NOW a few drug companies say they'll have a vaccine by the END OF THE SUMMER. And they're already gearing up to have over 100,000,000 doses ready to go.

Impossible unless they started last summer.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 02:32 PM

Link?
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Link?

Probably this one?

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemi...t-new-lockdowns

US Aims for End of Summer Vaccine as Rising COVID Cases Worldwide Prompt New Lockdowns

With the number of confirmed coronavirus infections around the world topping 13 million, including more than 570,000 deaths, the United States says it expects to start producing potential vaccine doses by the end of the summer, even as more and more governments are imposing, or re-imposing, strict quarantine and social distancing guidelines to blunt the spread of the disease.

The U.S.-based cable financial news channel CNBC reported Monday that a senior Trump administration official told reporters the manufacturing process is already underway even though they aren’t sure which vaccine – if any – will work. The official is quoted as saying they are already buying equipment, securing manufacturing sites, and acquiring raw materials.

CNBC says two companies involved in the development of a potential new vaccine, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, are expected to begin late-stage human trials for potential vaccines by the end of the month.

Social distancing

A set of new social distancing measures that took effect Tuesday in Hong Kong includes mandatory face masks for people using public transportation, with violators subject to fines up to $645 ($5,000 in Hong Kong currency). Restaurants are banned from offering indoor dining after 6 p.m., and gyms, movie theaters and karaoke bars are once again ordered to shut down, in response to a new order announced by Chief Executive Carrie Lam that limits group gatherings from 50 people to four.

The new guidelines have forced the closure of Hong Kong Disneyland, which had just reopened last month.

The Asian financial hub reported 52 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Monday, including 41 that were locally transmitted, prompting authorities to issue a warning of a potential large-scale outbreak. The city has reported more than 1,500 total coronavirus cases since the start of the pandemic.

Over in Australia, the southern state of Victoria recorded 270 new COVID-19 cases Tuesday, including two deaths, pushing the total number of cases nationwide to 10,251 and 110 deaths. Victoria’s capital city, Melbourne, is in the first week of a six-week lockdown imposed due to an alarming spike of new COVID-19 cases. Residents have been ordered to stay home unless going to work, school, medical appointments or shopping for food.

The neighboring state of New South Wales has imposed a strict new set of restrictions on bars in response to a cluster of 21 new COVID-19 cases traced to a popular bar in Sydney. The new restrictions limit group bookings to just 10 people and cap the number of patrons in large venues to 300.

Wearing face masks in supermarkets and stores in Britain will be mandatory starting next week, Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office announced Monday.

Face coverings are already required on buses and subways in London and other English cities. Other European countries, including Germany, Greece, Italy and Spain already require face coverings in stores.

In the United States, which posted well over 60,000 new infections on Monday, more than three dozen states are seeing a dramatic rise in new coronavirus cases on a daily basis, forcing many of them to reverse plans to reopen their economies after shutting them down during the initial phase of the outbreak.

California Governor Gavin Newsom extended Monday the closure of bars, restaurants, gyms, churches, and amusement centers from 19 counties to the entire state. The neighboring northwestern state of Oregon has banned gatherings of more than 10 people and mandated face masks for all Oregonians.

Across the Pacific Ocean, Hawaii Governor David Ige announced Monday the state is postponing plans to relax its quarantine requirements for some tourists from the U.S. mainland. The popular tourist destination has subjected all visitors to a mandatory 14-day quarantine since the start of the outbreak. The government had planned to make an exception for anyone who tested negative for COVID-19 in the 72 hours leading up to their departure, beginning August 1.

Gov. Ige delayed the revised rules until September 1 because of the dramatic uptick of new cases in many states, which he said has also caused serious delays in testing.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 02:58 PM
Ok. So he was misinformed. Shocker.
Posted By: eotab Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 04:51 PM
j/c...

I would just hope that the Players would educate themselves on the virus before making any final decisions.
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 06:39 PM
If they cancel the season, do the players expect to get paid for games that weren't played? I know some of them could keep going, but how about those still on a rookie contract that didn't get the mega signing bonus? Just asking, not trying to instigate a ruckus.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 06:46 PM
I think that's what a lot of this boils down to. People making the big money aren't financially forced to play. Only those at the bottom of their pay scale will. The question may become of the NFL will decide to put a product on the field nobody wants to watch.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 06:50 PM

Link?

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6171550458001/#sp=show-clips
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 07:06 PM
The devil is in the details. " potential launch of coronavirus vaccine".

That's a lot different than, "NOW a few drug companies say they'll have a vaccine by the END OF THE SUMMER."
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 08:39 PM
The media has scared people beyond the reality of this. I'm saying that there will be no season. I know of six people who have tested positive, not one was ever even the least bit sick. I know that people do get sick, but many don't. They are claiming "spikes" in certain states, they are not "spikes", they are results of heavy testing. 2 of the people I know where told that they probably have had it for a couple weeks. The hospitalizations are down and the death rate is going lower. My son works in a clinic that is doing testing, he says very few positive tests lead to hospitalization.

People can believe what they want, and I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything, but this whole thing is being misreported. It has been from the get go. I've been working thru the whole thing and see hundreds of other people working thru it everyday. I have yet seen any of these people getting sick. And most are not wearing masks and have not the whole time.

IMO,the media and the government have created unnecessary panic. The thing is real, and people have died from it. But the risk of death is being pushed beyond the reality of it.

Many of these players will still get paid, so it is easy for them to decide to sit out. Many of us could not sit out, and we received nothing for our effort. Politics are playing to big a part in this whole fiasco.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 09:31 PM
[quote=Ballpeen]The season isn't going to happen.

Let's quit the charade.

I think the NFL is trying to make a plan, but this is next to impossible to plan. I promise you that plenty of players are going to sit.

IMO, the NFL and NFLPA should focus on long term plans that focus on medicine and science.

Until there is a long term fix in place that assures the safety of all involved..players, coaches, fans, etc... planning for a 2020 NFL season should be placed on hold.

The NFL and NFLPA should be focused on meeting "priorities" first...they need to wait on medicine and science to do their part...until "A VACINE" is developed that protects all involved, playing football should be placed on hold, imo.

I agree. If a vaccine is not found, at least a reliable treatment. Right now we are simply making educated guesses....Let try this!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Impossible unless they started last summer.

Or China had the vaccine before they released this.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 10:00 PM
I read the two differently. Encouraging info today from Moderna (I believe) who have entered final or late trial in humans. THEY say safe use and pronounced response with their mRNA (messenger RNA) approach. I hope the scientists find a way out for some of the dunce-like behavior .
Posted By: JPPT1974 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 10:03 PM
Yeah as really the cases are higher and higher and will get only more worse.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 10:09 PM
J/C Asking someone to risk the lives of themselves and their loved ones for your entertainment is pretty loathesome.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
J/C Asking someone to risk the lives of themselves and their loved ones for your entertainment is pretty loathesome.

MMA says "Hold my beer."
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/14/20 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Hamfist

Are you referring to the part about playing through the virus?

Or the part of football that requires players to wear plenty of padding, to include a helmet due to the high risk of serious injuries that can occur to include paralysis and brain damage on literally any given play?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 02:15 AM
One is a given of the profession. The other is extraordinary, and really does risk your children and wife.

It's one thing to risk your own health. How much more should you be paid to risk your families health?

I don't know there is any amount for that. A $billion wouldn't do it for me. Risk my kids? No way.
Posted By: eotab Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The devil is in the details. " potential launch of coronavirus vaccine".

That's a lot different than, "NOW a few drug companies say they'll have a vaccine by the END OF THE SUMMER."

I just heard today that the Vaccine in question is going to start the big test and that is with 30,000 human test studies. I think from those results we will know to put it out on the market or not. The manufacturer is pretty confident as they are producing 100 mil for the first wave.

jmho
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 03:15 PM
Things certainly look promising but none of them actually know if this thing can be controlled long term. At this point, even if a vaccines is found to work, they're not sure if the antibodies produced will last long term. Some indications show that the antibodies slowly go away over time and a vaccine may only be effective for a period of months. It may be a vaccine you would have to get again in 6 months to 1 year.

There's just a lot of unknowns at this early stage of the game. We all certainly hope for the best.
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 03:38 PM
One is a given of the profession. The other is extraordinary, and really does risk your children and wife.

It's one thing to risk your own health. How much more should you be paid to risk your families health?

I don't know there is any amount for that. A $billion wouldn't do it for me. Risk my kids? No way.

jc
There is a gentleman who lives around the block from me who is a "contractor" for the military who goes to Afghanistan regularly. Each time he has come back since the corona-apocalypse he stays in his 5th wheel trailer for 14 days before he goes around his family. If he and his family take those precautions, I don't begrudge people playing a game to do the same.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 04:27 PM
The NFL still has time to implement a bubble like the NBA has.

Get more games on TV to recoup the TV revenue.

I think the next two weeks will be telling in regards to actually having a season.

If there is one season where I wish we had a season, it would be this one...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 06:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Southwestdawg

jc
There is a gentleman who lives around the block from me who is a "contractor" for the military who goes to Afghanistan regularly. Each time he has come back since the corona-apocalypse he stays in his 5th wheel trailer for 14 days before he goes around his family. If he and his family take those precautions, I don't begrudge people playing a game to do the same.

How do you stay in a trailer for 14 days when you play games every 7 days? The math doesn't work IMO.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 10:33 PM

jc

How do you stay in a trailer for 14 days when you play games every 7 days? The math doesn't work IMO.

Maybe he is saying he wouldn't hold it against players if they opted out?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

jc

Maybe he is saying he wouldn't hold it against players if they opted out?

Ok, that is a option. I agree. I don't think the players should play. Maybe I read it wrong, didn't read in enough, or you are reading in....either way, it's all good.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 11:04 PM
I'm not sure. That is just the way I took it. I could be wrong. I think he is saying to error on the side of caution.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/15/20 11:23 PM
I'm not sure. That is just the way I took it. I could be wrong. I think he is saying to error on the side of caution.

All's good
Posted By: eotab Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/16/20 02:11 PM
Things about this virus almost changes daily.

Fauci the self acclaimed expert said scientifically that Masks do not change a thing (cloth masks especially) Medical its needed but in common people and in common areas the mask does not help and sometimes hurt as the virus lives and grows in cloth masks.

Now he says without any scientific proof that everyone should wear a mask??? HUH???

Again, we should have continuous breaks which should be done in the heat anyways and all should wash with disinfectant soap (dial) their hands and face...then resume practice. This will prevent the spread of any virus much much more than a mask!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/16/20 02:21 PM
All soap is anti microbial. Just wash for 20-30 seconds.

Dawn dish soap in the best IMO. It cuts grease like nothing else. Just a small dap and you lather up good.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/16/20 03:37 PM
MARK ANDREWS
TE, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Ravens TE Mark Andrews, who has Type 1 diabetes, indicated that he plans to play in 2020.

“We’ve got a big year coming up," Andrews said in a Zoom call with the Children with Diabetes foundation. "My goal is continue to use my platform. I want to continue to help kids and families that are dealing with [Type 1 Diabetes]." Diabetes will reportedly be covered under the NFLPA's opt-out clause for at-risk players, but the 24-year-old could serve as a case study if he remains insistent on taking the field. (For what it's worth, Andrews knowingly pricks his finger about 30 times per game to diligently monitor his glucose levels.) He's believed to be the only active NFL player with the disease.

SOURCE: Jonas Shaffer on Twitter
Jul 16, 2020, 10:47 AM ET
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/16/20 04:16 PM
Fauci is not a "self proclaimed expert". He is an expert who has worked alongside six presidents and is proven to be an expert in his field.

Experts base their findings on the evidence at hand. When a virus is new there is very little information with which to form recommendations on. As time goes on and more evidence comes in, those recommendations change.

It's not that complicated.

The evidence is in. Masks help save lives.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/16/20 05:19 PM
I agree well stated
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/16/20 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Things about this virus almost changes daily.

Fauci the self acclaimed expert said scientifically that Masks do not change a thing (cloth masks especially) Medical its needed but in common people and in common areas the mask does not help and sometimes hurt as the virus lives and grows in cloth masks.

Now he says without any scientific proof that everyone should wear a mask??? HUH???

Again, we should have continuous breaks which should be done in the heat anyways and all should wash with disinfectant soap (dial) their hands and face...then resume practice. This will prevent the spread of any virus much much more than a mask!

If Fauci isn't an expert, then there are no experts. So I dunno about your little 'self proclaimed' dig.

I think part of the confusion regarding masks (if my memory serves) was that masks were initially looked at to protect the wearer. People wanted to wear masks in order to protect themselves, and it was (correctly) communicated that that isn't the case. A single (or even double and triple) layer of cloth isn't going to protect you from a virus traveling via droplets. It will, however, protect others from you (along with distancing and other good practices... masks don't cover for not distancing and stuff).
Posted By: mac Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/16/20 09:48 PM
jc...

NFLPA Reveals 72 Players Were Diagnosed with COVID-19 as of July 10

TYLER CONWAY
JULY 16, 2020

Link
Posted By: Dave Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/16/20 10:15 PM
NFL will place players who test positive for COVID-19 on IR for three weeks

Mike Florio
July 16, 2020

The NFL and NFL Players Association already have reached an agreement regarding the procedures for dealing with players who test positive for COVID-19.

Per a league source, the league intends to change the injured reserve rules to create a COVID-19 classification. Players who test positive will be placed on the COVID-19 list for three weeks, creating a roster spot that would then be filled with a player who is negative for the virus.

The players on the COVID-19 list would be paid their normal salaries.

It’s unclear what will happen if a player on the COVID-19 list can’t return after three weeks, at which time he will be eligible to return to practice. He must be returned to the active roster within three weeks after that, or he will revert to IR (absent an injury settlement).

The goal will be to keep the roster strong and to avoid shutting players down for the full season. The broader objective will be to keep the league from collapsing if teams suffer outbreaks that shut them down.

The procedures haven’t been finalized. The league’s owners, who are due to meet tomorrow, quite possibly will vote on the measure then.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...or-three-weeks/
Posted By: mac Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/16/20 11:09 PM
jc...

NFLPA Reveals 72 Players Were Diagnosed with COVID-19 as of July 10

TYLER CONWAY
JULY 16, 2020

Link

"NFLPA Reveals 72 Players Were Diagnosed with COVID-19 as of July 10"...

This certainly is not the way to start the NFL season. How many more players have been exposed but not even tested yet?

I believe the NFLPA will be on top of the situation and Roger Goodell and the owners will have a difficult time convincing the players to put their trust in the hands of those motivated by the money and rather than the health risk.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 03:36 AM
If covid has these longer term effects on the lungs and energy levels, I wonder if that will impact these players performance? I mean I know they are in great shape for the most part, but there are a lot of videos of normal people saying once you test negative the health issues are not ending.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 09:24 AM
Of course it affects everybody differently, but some players WILL be severely hampered.

One of my good friends had it in May. He’s very active, good athlete, young/fit, etc.

He was incapacitated from the disease ... literally could barely lift his head.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 11:57 AM
Both of my kids tested positive and they haven't talked about any lingering effects.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 12:15 PM
Did he make a full recovery?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 12:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Did he make a full recovery?

My buddy that had it, who was also extremely fit, active, strong, healthy, was in the ICU with it. He recovered fully... kinda. He no longer has COVID, but his strength, energy, and physical capacity were knocked WAY down.

I think the assumption with the 3 week IR may be that if they need longer than that to recover from a COVID infection, they aren't likely to be in any condition to return to playing at a high level, so they will likely get moved to the permanent IR.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 12:49 PM
I believe the 3 weeks is so that you can come back and not be contagious. 3 weeks is for the virus itself. The toll the virus took on your body would be in addition to that.
Posted By: mac Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 01:10 PM
Quote:
I think the assumption with the 3 week IR may be that if they need longer than that to recover from a COVID infection, they aren't likely to be in any condition to return to playing at a high level, so they will likely get moved to the permanent IR.

The USA is so 'new' to the coronavirus that no one has even conducted a long term analysis of the affects of the virus.

We have to at least get to 'long term', say a 12 month study of a specific group and specific number of NFL players, before we can arrive at any sort of conclusion as to the long term affect on those who contract coronavirus.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 06:12 PM
I wonder what players will think about this ... it may push some into opting out ... i read today the NFL wants to know by 8/1 whose opting out ...

Things are starting to get interesting ....

ANDREW WHITWORTH
T, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Rams LT Andrew Whitworth tested positive for COVID-19.

Whitworth, 39 years old, calls the situation "scary" as not only did he test positive, but his entire family did as well. He contracted it after a family member visited a friend. He's the latest example of how contagious the coronavirus is, and how big of a problem the NFL has to get this season in without many hiccups. Training camp starts next week.

SOURCE: Dave Birkett on Twitter
Jul 17, 2020, 1:18 PM ET
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 07:40 PM
Give it a few weeks and you will have multiple teams unable to practice.

The season is a pipe dream.
Posted By: mac Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 10:19 PM
IMO, the NFL is hoping for something to happen that is beyond reality.

The more experienced players are going opt out and not allow themselves to used as the NFL's guinea pigs.

None of the players should agree to begin practicing without evidence of a plan from the NFL.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/17/20 11:58 PM
Just call the season. Billionaires will still be billionaires. As will the millionaires. For the lowest end of the pay scale, join the rest of the 98% of us.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/18/20 12:59 AM
Selfishly, I want the NFL to play very badly.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/18/20 01:07 AM
Selfishly, I want the NFL to play very badly.

LOL.........I was thinking about that earlier. I want there to be a season so much. I've been reading the political crap since we haven't had sports and it is so disgusting. I just want to argue about sports. Sports are not important in the sense that they set policies, but they are a diversion to get away from all the crap in our society and it's no big deal if someone loves or hates Baker, loves or hates Sashi, loves or hates Hue. LOL.....it's not important.

It would be great to have a diversion and just enjoy the game, but that's selfish and I am thinking that they should not play the season. It bums me out to say that, but it is what it is.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/18/20 01:20 AM
Honestly, the NFL helps me get through the year. No matter what has happened in the first part of the year, knowing the NFL is coming helps me get through. And when fall is here, looking forward to every Sunday helps me get through each week. Bad week at work? That's ok, here comes Sunday. This isn't to imply I have this crappy life. It's quite the opposite. I am very blessed. But the Cleveland Browns have been a part of my life for so long, it's just depressing thinking about no NFL season.

This is a very selfish thought. I just want to feel normal again.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/18/20 01:30 AM
I get it, Rish. I really do.

I'm bummed, too.

But, it's about putting others ahead of ourselves.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/18/20 09:19 AM
Same here. I want something to look forward to watching and discussing. Even though I’ve managed to get by the past few months, without sports it isn’t the same for me
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/18/20 09:32 AM
I get it, Rish. I really do.

I'm bummed, too.

But, it's about putting others ahead of ourselves.

We all do. Look at the amount of time most of us spend on a Browns message board.

I don't think any of us want the season called off, but realize it is probably the best thing to do.

If it isn't safe for people stand close together, how is it safe for players to play the game of football?
Posted By: KyDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/18/20 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
The media has scared people beyond the reality of this. I'm saying that there will be no season. I know of six people who have tested positive, not one was ever even the least bit sick. I know that people do get sick, but many don't. They are claiming "spikes" in certain states, they are not "spikes", they are results of heavy testing. 2 of the people I know where told that they probably have had it for a couple weeks. The hospitalizations are down and the death rate is going lower. My son works in a clinic that is doing testing, he says very few positive tests lead to hospitalization.

People can believe what they want, and I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything, but this whole thing is being misreported. It has been from the get go. I've been working thru the whole thing and see hundreds of other people working thru it everyday. I have yet seen any of these people getting sick. And most are not wearing masks and have not the whole time.

IMO,the media and the government have created unnecessary panic. The thing is real, and people have died from it. But the risk of death is being pushed beyond the reality of it.

Many of these players will still get paid, so it is easy for them to decide to sit out. Many of us could not sit out, and we received nothing for our effort. Politics are playing to big a part in this whole fiasco.

You put to much truth in this for anybody else to want to comment on. Death rates are dropping, not that they were ever high among people in the age range of NFL players, but they are dropping everywhere. Positive tests for having the virus have continued to go up, but that doesn't mean they all have the disease. You're 100% right in that this has been blown way out of the proportion to scare the public for political reasons. I've been out working among the masses since the beginning (November) and have only known 1 person that tested positive for the virus, they never got the disease. Oh well, this will be over and something new will take it's place.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/18/20 06:57 PM
At first doctors didn't know how to treat it. They weren't even sure how it was killing people.

Now we at least have a few possible treatments that seem to help a good number of people.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/18/20 07:17 PM
Some posts actually lack anything worth commenting to. Claiming Covid 19 isn't dangerous and wearing masks aren't needed are such type of comments.

Hospitalizations are up. ICU rates are up. The death rate is up. There were no facts presented to comment on.
Posted By: eotab Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/19/20 01:55 PM
self proclaimed dig...just looking at the facts that is all. I don't want PC crapola I want scientific facts as we know them.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/19/20 04:25 PM
ROGER GOODELL
COM, NFL

In coordinated Twitter postings Sunday afternoon, a host of NFL players criticized the league's coronavirus plan.

More specifically, the league's lack of a plan. "If the NFL doesn’t do their part to keep players healthy there is no football in 2020," were the words of Drew Brees, amongst many others. Players from J.J. Watt to Russell Wilson took part in the effort. In Watt's post, he said players still do not know how a positive COVID-19 test will be handled, or how the league might handle opt-outs. The league is still trying to claim players will report as usual this week, but the number of unresolved critical issues is massive.

SOURCE: J.J. Watt on Twitter
Jul 19, 2020, 12:10 PM ET
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/19/20 04:27 PM
[/url] [url=s://www.boldsky.com/health...iclecontent-pf]
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/19/20 04:32 PM
Well we all know the Statesmen knows more than the CDC and epidemiologists across the country. No, there are no actual facts to debate here.

15,292 people were fatally shot in The United States in 2019, excluding suicides, according to data gathered by Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit that tracks shootings. In 2019, an estimated 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes.

In five months 140,000 Americans have died from Covid 19 and people are still trying to make excuses to deny the science.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/19/20 04:38 PM
So you didn’t click the link?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/19/20 04:55 PM
Yes I did. I probably didn't word my response very well. They debunked the popular myths. I'm just very frustrated with the ignorance of knuckle draggers helping to spread a virus killing so many Americans.
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/19/20 06:45 PM
It has nothing to do with math. You missed my point. If a man who goes overseas to shoot bad guys takes precautions to keep his family safe after returning, then my point was I don't blame people who are playing a game feel they have the same responsibility to protect their families.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/19/20 09:21 PM
I take it you were making a reply to someone else.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/20/20 06:49 PM
j/c

Browns’ Jarvis Landry, Myles Garrett & many NFL players launch massive #WeWantToPlay campaign to call out league for lack of player safety amid Covid-19

Updated Jul 19, 2:04 PM; Posted Jul 19, 12:38 PM

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/07...7bIYui7eeMnewig

There are a lot of Tweets included in the article that makes posting it difficult. But it's well worth a read to help understand the players perspective.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/20/20 07:16 PM
I really don't see the NFL playing a full season this year.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/20/20 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I really don't see the NFL playing a full season this year.

Neither do I. You are going to see entire teams shut down.

I don't think it takes 3-4 days to get results other than to filter through the system. I am sure teams have to ability to get overnight results if they contract the lab staff to do that. I don't know what all is involved to find a positive or negative result, but to test 60-70 players and coaches would probably take 10 lab techs doing 8 a night. Maybe more, maybe just 3-4....I just don't know what all is involved.

I also get the feeling the "we want to play" slogan is just a PR deal. I don't think they really want to play. The players just don't want it to look they shut it down.

I am not blaming them at all....just saying.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/20/20 07:39 PM
I agree with you about the PR aspect. I also think the owners giving firm dates of starting camp and players reporting before having a safety agreement in place was a PR move.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/20/20 07:40 PM
I don't blame the players in the least. Hell my wife is a nurse. If I had 10 million in the bank there is no way in hell she would be working this year. Who am I kidding if we had 300,000 in the bank there is no way in hell she would be working this year.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/20/20 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I don't blame the players in the least. Hell my wife is a nurse. If I had 10 million in the bank there is no way in hell she would be working this year. Who am I kidding if we had 300,000 in the bank there is no way in hell she would be working this year.

Well, $10 mil, sure. You or she could have retired years ago.

I hear you man. I hear you.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/20/20 10:19 PM
The league and the players agreed on testing protocols:

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/20/20 11:18 PM
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 02:23 AM
I just don't see this happening.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 02:49 AM
No preseason games would not be good for the Browns.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 08:44 AM
No preseason games would not be good for the Browns.

No, it wouldn't be, but it is what it is. Not the best start for Stefanski and staff.

No worries, I would be shocked to see real games being played.

It might start, but by 3-4 games in, it will be postponed with dozens of players testing positive and dozens more deciding to just head to the house, it isn't worth the risk.

This is as foolish as it gets.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 12:29 PM

I think it would be wise to cancel all preseason games. High schools and colleges don't play preseason games. The exhibition games are just another money-grabbing tool for the NFL.

For awhile, I was thinking that the season would be delayed or canceled. However, my kids and future son-in-law were over this weekend and we were talking about it. The NFL generates a ton of revenue. Hard to walk away from that cash. Also, other economic-generating businesses are open. You can get your hair cut, nails done, teeth cleaned, elective surgeries, etc.

Most businesses are open and people are back to work. Some of the places I mentioned puts people in close contact w/others.

I'm starting to think that the games will be played and fans will either not be permitted to attend games or they will be adequately spaced out.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 01:04 PM
Yes, the NFL will figure out how to play games.

I am happy about that.
Posted By: mac Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 02:28 PM
jc...

No preseason games...no games to judge new talent.

They might want to expand the roster count to allow team to carry more players so teams can judge free agents and those late round draft picks.
Posted By: eotab Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 06:50 PM
As long as we can have extended practice days instead of preseason games we should be competitive and also have some good in house scrimmages. The only thing effected will be the competition for maybe RG and LBs. CBs and WRs can get reviewed from regular practices against our own players. Hitting is the key that will be limited.

jmho
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 07:29 PM
Why would he? There are about ten different sites using the CDC and WHO studies that all say that masks do not protect from influenza and airborne viruses. So he makes a statement suggesting that I don't believe the virus is real. It is real and people die from it, my point is the CDC, WHO, and even Fauci himself have said that the masks do not prevent the spread.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 07:36 PM

I think it would be wise to cancel all preseason games. High schools and colleges don't play preseason games. The exhibition games are just another money-grabbing tool for the NFL.

For awhile, I was thinking that the season would be delayed or canceled. However, my kids and future son-in-law were over this weekend and we were talking about it. The NFL generates a ton of revenue. Hard to walk away from that cash. Also, other economic-generating businesses are open. You can get your hair cut, nails done, teeth cleaned, elective surgeries, etc.

Most businesses are open and people are back to work. Some of the places I mentioned puts people in close contact w/others.

I'm starting to think that the games will be played and fans will either not be permitted to attend games or they will be adequately spaced out.

They might. It is big business. It's not just players and team employees.

Many will still feel the brunt of this if fans are limited. You have parking lot owners and attendants. Restaurant owners and employees who look forward to that Sunday crowd. That Sunday rush accounts for a big slice of their pie. When you are working for tips, you want thousands of customers. If you hand out 800 beers over the course of a shift, even if people only leave you .50 cents a beer, That's $400. A pretty good pay day. Most people leave more than that. I generally leave a dollar a beer.

I realize they won't make that much. Most places are on tip share. Tenders usually make the most percentage, wait staff next, then your bus help and washers get tipped out. Cook staff might get something, but they usually just get paid straight...they need to get paid as much as wait staff if not a little more if food is a big draw, so they usually just get a hourly wage. You make $25 a hour as a good cook. Wait staff makes $2.35 a hour plus tips. They share out to tenders, busboys and dishwashers. Tenders keep their tips except to share out to busboys and dishwashers. Got to help out the minimum wage back of the house. If you don't have clean tables and dishware, you have a problem.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 11:32 PM
Why would he? There are about ten different sites using the CDC and WHO studies that all say that masks do not protect from influenza and airborne viruses. So he makes a statement suggesting that I don't believe the virus is real. It is real and people die from it, my point is the CDC, WHO, and even Fauci himself have said that the masks do not prevent the spread.

Have they said this recently?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 11:40 PM
No they have not.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fauci-masks-no-longer-needed/

Since at least April 2020, the CDC recommended that everyone wear cloth masks in public to help slow the spread of COVID-19. That recommendation changed because of studies that found even people without coronavirus symptoms, but who may still have the disease, could transmit the virus through close interactions with others, especially through speaking, coughing, and sneezing:
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
No they have not.

Since at least April 2020, the CDC recommended that everyone wear cloth masks in public to help slow the spread of COVID-19. That recommendation changed because of studies that found even people without coronavirus symptoms, but who may still have the disease, could transmit the virus through close interactions with others, especially through speaking, coughing, and sneezing:

Snopes is a debunked fact checking site
Posted By: hitt Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/21/20 11:58 PM
Who gets the doses, sure won't be football players, they are NOT essential. And imagine the social, political crap coming on who gets the vaccine first.

Football players WAY down the line....GO Browns.

I vote NO football this season, how's our new left tackle going to perform with NO preseason games. This whole thing stinks.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/22/20 12:07 AM
No they have not.

Snopes is a debunked fact checking site

Do you have a recent quote from the CDC, WHO, or Fauci saying masks don’t prevent spread?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/22/20 03:07 AM
BREAKING: The #Browns stadium has been renamed. It's now known as "Company A Stadium."
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/22/20 10:07 AM
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0714-americans-to-wear-masks.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 02:47 AM
Man you guys are really doom and gloom in here about the season. It's depressing.

MLS figured it out.
The NBA figured it out.
Even the dysfunctional MLB figured it out.

All signs suggest that the NFL is going to figure out how to have a season as well.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 04:09 PM
In MLS Nashville wasn't even allowed in to play because of the virus.

Even if there is an NFL season, one would have to wonder what that would even look like before it's over.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 05:29 PM
In MLS Nashville wasn't even allowed in to play because of the virus.
Even if there is an NFL season, one would have to wonder what that would even look like before it's over.

If the proper protocols are used and there are no fans, I think the NFL can figure it out.

The players in the NBA bubble have had no positive tests recently.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 06:24 PM
Let's see how that all plays out when there are 22 men on the field, sweating and in close contact with each other.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. What I'm saying is the difficulty factor is much greater than some think.

There are what, now with the rules change, 55 men on the roster alone? Then you have the entire coaching staff and team doctors. There is no other sport I can think of that has even close to that many people to contend with at every game on each team.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 06:44 PM
If there are 22 players sweating on the field that have tested negative twice in the last 72 hours then the risk of infection is minimal.

Spreading the virus on the field isn't really the issue...

It's about what happens in the team facilities during camp / practice.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 06:52 PM
We'll see. Like I said, I live close to Nashville and our MLS team couldn't even play this year due to Covid 19.

Nothing could please me more to have a full season of the NFL with everyone healthy. But I don't see it. even The White House has had cases and nobody has more testing than they do.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 07:03 PM
The MLS is a very different league than the NFL.

I don't think there is any chance an NFL team opts out or doesn't play. There is too much revenue at stake to do that.

For Nashville, they withdrew from the tournament. I also think their decision to withdraw had more to do with the timeline of the tournament, revenue and operational costs than it did with positive cases.

MLS teams also have less depth. 5 players tested positive and would be out for two weeks.

If that happened in the NFL, the team wouldn't shut down.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 07:39 PM
No, a team wouldn't shut down. However, if it happens that star players from a few of the top teams have to quarantine, there will always be an asterisk attached to this season and nobody will consider it as legitimate.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 08:44 PM
And now to address the elephant in the room ...

ROGER GOODELL
COM, NFL

Washington Post's Mark Maske reports NFL owners may delay the start of training camp until the teams and the NFLPA can agree to the finances.

The beginning of training camp would open the door to injuries and potential locked-in salaries for the 2020 season, something owners don't want until they've ironed out the details of the league's finances. Essentially, the owners want the salary cap to be reduced in 2020 and 2021, while the player's association wants the reduced cap to spread out as long as possible. An immediate reduction of the salary cap would be added chaos during unprecedented times. Hopefully the two parties can agree to finances within the next few days. The players, in particular the rookies, need practice time.

SOURCE: WashingtonPost.com
Jul 23, 2020, 4:30 PM ET
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 08:50 PM
At this stage, I don't think this is a surprise.

What the players are asking for does seem reasonable. Hopefully the league figures it out and doesn't drag their feet like the MLB.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 08:53 PM
First it was safety and now the cap. I wonder what roadblock will come next?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 08:55 PM
It's rather odd coming from Goodell. The cap is supposed to be set by the previous seasons income. Now he wants to adjust things to what the NFL "might or might not make" this year?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/23/20 08:58 PM
I’d agree it’s reasonable ... practicals another story ..

IF we knew things would return to “normal” next year it would be a lot less of a risk for the owners to pay out money this year there not going to have and spread the pain out ... there gonna lose a ton of revenue this year and there’s no guarantee there’ll be butts in the seats next year plus they may lose more then they think from the kneeling whe things do return to “normal” ...

It’ll be interesting to watch this play out ...
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 12:22 AM
j/c

I'm wondering if cancelling preseason games is the right way to go. Reading the points brought up on various posts, it seems to me the argument should be for having preseason games. Let's be honest, any agreement for safety that the League and NFLPA agree to is theoretical until the games start playing right?

So let's say worst case scenario there aren't any measures that they can take that are going to be sufficient. Would you rather them find that out in the midst of playing a 4 game stretch of games that don't mean anything? Or would you rather find out Week 3 or 4 after they have committed to playing a season?

I get that trying to play the preseason games as originally planned puts them on a time crunch. So why not just move the entire schedule back? Say 4 weeks.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 11:05 AM
No, a team wouldn't shut down. However, if it happens that star players from a few of the top teams have to quarantine, there will always be an asterisk attached to this season and nobody will consider it as legitimate.

I'd still take a Lombardi, even with an Asterisk. smile
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

I agree, and it really wouldn't be any different than players missing games to injury. That happens all the time.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 01:44 PM
Just a thought.

This season is already messed up. It'll have an asterisk regardless.

Instead of trying to work out the logistics of a full season, why not just go with a shortened season. Instead of 16 games over 4 months, play 12 games over 4 months. Each team plays 3 games every 4 week. Each team plays division rivals twice, 4 games against out of division conference rivals, and 2 out of conference games. Play 2 consecutive weeks, a week off, then 1 game and a week off, 2-bye-1-bye...or 1-bye-2-bye. It would reduce the impact of C-19 positives and allow for schedule flexibility if things change.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 02:07 PM
Because that’s a lot less revenue in a season where everyone is already taking a huge hit.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

That sounds fine in theory. But what if it's us that's hot and miss out due to Covid cases?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 03:21 PM
TODD GURLEY
RB, ATLANTA FALCONS

Todd Gurley said he's open to sitting out the season if the NFL doesn't come up with a proper COVID-19 safety plan.

“It’s really not structured right,” Gurley said about the NFL’s current restart plan. “There’s not a proper plan in place that I’m comfortable with. I don’t have a wife. I don’t have any kids. You have to look at guys on the other side who have [a] pregnant wife, kids and a wife that they go home to every single day. I just feel like we just need to come up with something a lot better than what they’re giving us. Everything they gave us is pretty last minute. We should have been able to have answers weeks ago, if not months ago. You have to be prepared to not play or be prepared to have a half a season. If they don’t do things right, we won’t have a full season. It’s just how things have been going so far this year. Hopefully everything goes well, but I don’t see [it]. It just doesn’t sit well right now.” The league and NFLPA are working on a plan as we speak, but this is something that should've been done weeks ago, as Gurley said, with training camps scheduled to open this coming week. Gurley is one of the first players we've seen actually talk about the possibility of sitting out.

SOURCE: 92.9 Atlanta
Jul 24, 2020, 10:40 AM ET
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 03:55 PM
All I know is, I'd much rather not have a season and keep all of our players one extra year than try to have a pointless season and we're 1 year closer to losing talent without anything to show for it.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 03:57 PM
Why would it be pointless?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 04:00 PM
If we're having players in and out of the lineup with COVID symptoms and can't get any sort of momentum going during the season.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 04:06 PM
What if it benefits the Browns?

If they play, it won't be meaningless. Hopefully, they figure out some protocols aimed at safety that make sense and players and staff can follow. They'll come up with something. There's too much money at stake.

I watched baseball and exhibition basketball last night. It was wonderful.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 04:23 PM
What it it doesn't? See, that's the big gamble in all of this. We could be having a great year and a few of our star players could be quarantined for a few weeks and we miss the playoffs.

It's a gamble either way you go. And there is no "foolproof plan" that's going to keep everyone safe. Those simply don't exist. Sure you can cut the risks, but that's as far as it goes.

Whether they play or don't play is far less important to me than the life of the players, and even more critical, the health and safety of coaching and medical staffs who for the most part are much older. So far, for many, that seems to have been placed on the back burner as of now.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 04:28 PM
So if they play are you not going to watch?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 04:34 PM
Where in the hell did you get that from? I said it's a gamble either way and I'm more concerned with the life of others.

But everyone has the right to do as they choose. If these players and coaches decide they are going to play, I'll watch. Hell, I watch boxing, MMA and NASCAR. And I think it takes a moron to participate in those three sports. wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 04:38 PM
j/c:

I think some people are being overly dramatic regarding player's lives being in jeopardy. Malls are open, salons and barber shops are open, dentist and doctor offices are open. Everything is open.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 04:58 PM
And the death cont has risen to well over 1000 per day. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 06:52 PM
And the death cont has risen to well over 1000 per day. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Name one active athlete that has been diagnosed with COVID who has developed serious complications and hasn't immediately recovered?

The fatality rate for COVID has changed. The fatality rate with the new wave of cases is much different than the first.

April 18th it was 7.74% and yesterday it was 1.22%.

http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualiz...08o1bMLIv8G4V0c
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 07:00 PM
You seem to be forgetting about the coaching and medical staffs. How do you think Andy Reid would do? Then there are those that serve their meals, provide their transportation and provide their lodging. Let's try and think big picture here for a moment.

And that fatality rate is on the rise along with the cases being on the rise. You do realize that sometimes it takes weeks after someone becomes infected before they die, right? That's why the death rate rises slower than the cases rise. I mean you didn't think they just fell over and died as soon as the diagnosis came in did you?
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 07:01 PM
While the death rate may have dropped due to 'whatever' happened in the data, the bodies behind that number are still no joke. I don't think acting like covid is somehow less severe is the answer to anything.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 07:08 PM
Actually, I think there is a chance it's less severe but because there's so much they still don't understand about it and there is no bona-fide vaccine or treatment it's like playing Russian roulette if you don't exercise caution.

You or one of your loved ones could be one of those ones it just attacks relentlessly.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 07:15 PM
With over 1000 deaths a day I don't think, 'yeah but it isn't killing athletes' quite covers it. The coaching staff, their families, the medical staffs and all of the supporting staffs are people too.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 09:23 PM
I'm not acting like COVID is less severe. I am just saying that it isn't severe enough to cancel the season as long as the proper protocols are put into place.

Pit, with the new spike in coronavirus cases over the last month and a half, the number of deaths should have already spiked by now. During the first wave there was a 7-10 day lag in deaths. Cases started spiking again in mid June but deaths did not in the same ratio as they did before.

1000 deaths a day is severe but not as severe as it could have been. If the pattern from the first wave remained the same we would be looking at something like 7000 deaths a day right now.

Recent news from the NFL seems promising:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29531605/sources-nfl-camps-open-pending-ok-players
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 11:03 PM
j/c:

Despite the attempts of some, this is not a political forum. Once again, if it is okay for folks to clean other peoples teeth, fill their cavities, do root canals, etc........then I doubt that the NFL is more at risk.

My two kids had it. Both are in good shape. Hell, my son is a cancer survivor and I was really worried about him. But, both have said that the symptoms were not that bad.

I am not trying to say that Covid isn't a real thing or trying to diminish it's effect on society, but I don't think it would devastate the NFL community like some seemingly are implying.

It's an election year and I get that, but this is the Pure Football forum. My guess is that they will play.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/24/20 11:05 PM
They will for sure play.

I'm getting excited.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 12:21 AM
They will for sure play.

I'm getting excited.

More good news. Looks like football is back on the menu boys.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29531605/sources-nfl-camps-open-pending-ok-players

At least for now.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 03:05 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 10:00 AM
You wonder how many more guys we’ll see choose it
Posted By: jaybird Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 12:38 PM
j/c:

I think some people are being overly dramatic regarding player's lives being in jeopardy. Malls are open, salons and barber shops are open, dentist and doctor offices are open. Everything is open.

100% agree... if a player has or lives with someone who has an underlying disease that would deem them at risk I get wanting to sit out the season...

but several people and players I think are over blowing this thing...

get the protocol in place... but recognize that the protocol will change...

I've been working throughout this entire thing... the first couple of months our protocols changed every other week it felt like... we still change/update protocols as new information comes out but it's less frequent... just the nature of a novel situation
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 03:36 PM
People dying isn't political no matter how much you try to twist it.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 04:23 PM
j/c:

Despite the attempts of some, this is not a political forum. Once again, if it is okay for folks to clean other peoples teeth, fill their cavities, do root canals, etc........then I doubt that the NFL is more at risk.

My two kids had it. Both are in good shape. Hell, my son is a cancer survivor and I was really worried about him. But, both have said that the symptoms were not that bad.

I am not trying to say that Covid isn't a real thing or trying to diminish it's effect on society, but I don't think it would devastate the NFL community like some seemingly are implying.

It's an election year and I get that, but this is the Pure Football forum. My guess is that they will play.

God bless your son. I have cancer survivors in my family also. My nephew was diagnosed at 10 years old, he is now 45. He was given three years at the time. It is devastating to the family as I'm sure you know first hand. Staying strong and having faith is all you can do. My prayers will always include your son from now on
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 05:04 PM
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
I'm not acting like COVID is less severe. I am just saying that it isn't severe enough to cancel the season as long as the proper protocols are put into place.

Pit, with the new spike in coronavirus cases over the last month and a half, the number of deaths should have already spiked by now. During the first wave there was a 7-10 day lag in deaths. Cases started spiking again in mid June but deaths did not in the same ratio as they did before.

1000 deaths a day is severe but not as severe as it could have been. If the pattern from the first wave remained the same we would be looking at something like 7000 deaths a day right now.

Recent news from the NFL seems promising:

I'm still wondering how they intend to keep players from transmitting the virus while playing the game... And then what happens when those players go home to their wives and kids?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 05:07 PM
Very happy for your kids good luck with Covid.. Sorry to hear about your son and Cancer.

Not for nothing, but there are over 140,000 that can't say that.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 05:12 PM
It's well over 1450,000 now. But hey, that's only dead Americans so it's not a big deal anymore, right? I mean as long as his family got through it okay, right?
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 05:15 PM
I see the players point of view but every time they play an NFL game they're risking their health.
Posted By: brownieforlife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 05:20 PM
If there are 22 players sweating on the field that have tested negative twice in the last 72 hours then the risk of infection is minimal.

INCORRECT. Even Harvard says that someone tested within 24 hours of exposure is going to yield a false negative 100% of the time. At the 4th day from exposure, test yields a false negative 40% of the time. At 4th day AFTER symptoms, test still yields false negative 20% of the time. Simply put, the test isn't accurate enough fast enough to stop the spread of this thing...yet.

There isn't a lot of clarity on how long it takes from the time of exposure until you you can spread it.

You have your most risky players for MAJOR injury of COVID (HEAVY folks) knocking heads and effectively wrestling one another a minimum of 60 times a game.

This thing is going to spread like wildfire...you may even see Belecheck having it spread to an opponent the week before each game!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 05:24 PM
It's well over 1450,000 now. But hey, that's only dead Americans so it's not a big deal anymore, right? I mean as long as his family got through it okay, right?

Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 05:28 PM
I really don't see them playing until 2021 or when there is a safe vaccine.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 07:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
I really don't see them playing until 2021 or when there is a safe vaccine.

So do you think the next thing the NFL does is the next Draft in April?

I've entertained that thought a few times.
Posted By: FATE Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 08:17 PM

How you equate someone saying they don't think it will devastate the NFL to them meaning all the people who died don't matter is just simply mind-boggling.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/25/20 09:55 PM
I guess you sign on for hazard pay. I think the players will need to be screened continuously. I also believe that there can be "Q (quarantine)— wins" for starters who may need to sit out.

I would hope that with the accuracy percentage, both ways, that the testing will be thorough to ID infected fins and that those flagged have tests also to be "Q breakers" and able to play if there is a false positive for them, a pretty well known result, and a literal game changer.

I suspect a mess, and the NFL believing it can tweak away its problems as long as they keep ringing the register. My hope is for a reliable and effective vaccine. fingerscrossed
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/26/20 01:02 AM
j/c:

I was more along the lines of restaurants and barber shops needed to be open,

But the NFL I see a point,
It's about person to person, skin vs skin, or clothing vs clothing contact, even in baseball it can be limited somewhat, and basketball? basketball they don't necessarily have to make physical contact every single possession,
but in football, the name of the game is you have to do way more contact than a high five or handshake, for just about all the positions, every single snap.

And I think there is a valid point that we don't know how bad that is,
Can players wash up and change clothes between every single snap?
every time they make a tackle, then on surface skin germs spread, and then, well over a game, all 53 times 2 groups of players germs could be so intermingled
that it's like a pitri dish.

They are saying don't touch your face, don't touch your eyes for a reason, and then you're supposed to lather soap for 20 long seconds, (which is about 3 times normal)
Because the lather helps to stop this spread.

Well the lather of soap that helps, is cleaning, skin, but NFL football, it's a giant skin surface and clothing surface intermingling of germs,

and there's already a problem with germs getting onto the turf itself, that's been around for a few years,

Think about just the ball, We can't handshake but, the Center, the Quarterback, the receiver, and a DB, and 2 or 3 referees can touch the ball, just on one incomplete pass play.

' No season. ' frown

( I know I was totally on the other side of this, but though I didn't express it, a lot of that didn't include large crowd sports, but, after thinking, I almost think it would be better to allow 100% stadium filling, because people can wear masks and put up plexiglass,
but for the players, and full contact/ Even Walk Throughs

I haven't been going around, hand to shoulder grappling groups of two or three guys in demonstrating techniques, or for any reason, over the last 6 weeks, and I wouldn't want to start today.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/26/20 06:10 AM
Originally Posted By: brownieforlife

INCORRECT. Even Harvard says that someone tested within 24 hours of exposure is going to yield a false negative 100% of the time. At the 4th day from exposure, test yields a false negative 40% of the time. At 4th day AFTER symptoms, test still yields false negative 20% of the time. Simply put, the test isn't accurate enough fast enough to stop the spread of this thing...yet.

There isn't a lot of clarity on how long it takes from the time of exposure until you you can spread it.

You have your most risky players for MAJOR injury of COVID (HEAVY folks) knocking heads and effectively wrestling one another a minimum of 60 times a game.

This thing is going to spread like wildfire...you may even see Belecheck having it spread to an opponent the week before each game!

My point was that the virus is more likely to spread off of the field. There is a much greater chance for infection during practice and in the facility than during the actual game.

So... if the NFL protocols don't work, we will likely learn that before the season even starts.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/26/20 11:55 AM
Good points. We should see in the first 14 days of camp how it spreads if at all. Hoping the NFL has a plan B.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/26/20 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Good points. We should see in the first 14 days of camp how it spreads if at all. Hoping the NFL has a plan B.

Not sure what plan "B" would be, maybe just call it off?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/26/20 12:32 PM
You've really been pushing for no season.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/26/20 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Not sure what plan "B" would be, maybe just call it off?

Plan B would to quarantine the infected and hope it’s isolated. If it’s not.

plan “C”....closed for the season

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/26/20 12:41 PM
You've really been pushing for no season.

I don't know that I am pushing for it. I am just not pushing for one despite the cost. I don't want to see players or players families get sick.

The players are young and strong. They will probably be good. The locker room staff, maybe not as much. The over weight coach, the wife, the child, the parent, maybe not as well?
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 02:32 AM
Play the damn season.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 02:33 AM
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Play the damn season.

So you don’t watch after entire teams kneel?
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 02:48 AM
Play the damn season.

So you don’t watch after entire teams kneel?

Nevermind.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 01:12 PM
j/c:

One thing the NFL has in its favor is that they can monitor MLB and the NBA.

I see that many of the MLB players aren't exactly practicing safe practices. This morning, I heard that 4 players on the Marlins tested positive. I think all the travel might make things worse.

The NBA is playing in one location and that should be an advantage. Fewer points of contact.

Either way, the NFL can watch and see what happens w/these two professional leagues before making their final decision.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 01:48 PM
Play the damn season.

“Risk yourself and your family for my entertainment!”
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 01:58 PM
j/c:

I have been back-and-forth on whether the NFL plays this season or not. For a long time, I thought they would not. Recently, I thought they would play due to other leagues starting up and how many younger, healthy folks have been effected by the virus.

However, the news of the what is going on w/the Marlins is making me think that it's going to be tough for the NFL to play. The number of Marlins who tested positive is up to 14. They already postponed tonight's game. I doubt the Yankees will want to use the visitor's clubhouse in Philly. It's a mess.

Unlike the NBA, neither the MLB or the NFL play in a bubble. Traveling from city to city increases the risk of contacting and/or spreading the disease. That's the way a pandemic works.

What a horrible mess.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 02:17 PM
The NFL has the advantage of only traveling to one city per week. They have the major disadvantage of having a huge number of people that travel with the team.

Either way, it was futile. Starting the leagues back up, without a bubble, while the virus is running rampant was unwise. The other countries that started sports had the virus under control. We started our sports at its peak. Dumb.

Oh well. At least we got one weekend of baseball.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 04:39 PM
The other countries that started sports had the virus under control. We started our sports at its peak. Dumb.

It's all about priorities I suppose.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 09:19 PM
Two more ..

CHANCE WARMACK
G, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Seahawks G Chance Warmack has taken the voluntary opt-out for the 2020 season.
Warmack signed in late March on a one-year contract after sitting out the 2019 season in order to replenish his health. The Seahawks likely won't look for a replacement after selecting G Damien Lewis in the third-round.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Jul 27, 2020, 4:16 PM ET

DE'ANTHONY THOMAS
WR, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Ravens WR/KR De'Anthony Thomas has voluntarily opted-out of the 2020 season.
Thomas split time between the Chiefs and Ravens last season, playing six games in Kansas City before suiting up for eight games in Baltimore. He returned 13 punts and 10 kicks for the Ravens, who re-signed him on a one-year contract back in March. The voluntary opt-out includes a stipend of $150,000.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jul 27, 2020, 4:04 PM ET
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 09:25 PM
BRUCE ARIANS
C, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

In a conversation on the Buccaneers' plans for handling the coronavirus, coach Bruce Arians stated "the players, they’re going to all get sick, that’s for sure.”

“It’s just a matter of how sick they get,” Arians continued. "We’ve got to be careful." This season will be unlike any other. Positive cases will be confirmed, and it appears the NFL will attempt to power through them with a multi-week quarantine for impacted players and staff members - and a larger practice squad to pick replacements from. Arians is a three-time cancer survivor and took measures to aid his health even before this offseason, including riding a golf cart during practice and handing play calling responsibilities to Byron Leftwich. Arians, at 67 years old, is at higher risk than other coaches around the league. As is safeties coach Nick Rapone (64) and quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen (64). “It’s the team that adapts and has the most discipline, they’re going to win,” Arians concluded. This level of honesty is appreciated, but also chilling.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times
Jul 27, 2020, 3:22 PM ET
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 09:40 PM
It is chilling.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 10:04 PM
Bruce Arians makes the case for not having a season.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/27/20 11:13 PM
A few more ...

CALEB BRANTLEY
DL, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Washington DL Caleb Brantley is the first reported "high risk" opt-out player for the 2020 season.
Brantley will receive a $350,000 stipend with no offset language and a credited season. Brantley, a former sixth-round pick by the Browns, played in one game last season for Washington and re-signed for the team back in March.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jul 27, 2020, 6:17 PM ET

DAN VITALE
RB, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Patriots FB Dan Vitale elected to opt-out of the 2020 season.

Vitale and his wife recently welcomed a newborn baby to their family. He signed a one-year deal worth $1.3 million back in March to compete for the starting fullback spot. That role will now fall to Jakob Johnson and rookie Dalton Keene.

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter
Jul 27, 2020, 6:05 PM ET
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 12:23 AM
I believe that's exactly his point, without outright saying so.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 07:53 AM
And a few more ....

MARCUS CANNON
T, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Boston Herald's Karen Guregian reports Patriots RT Marcus Cannon is opting out of the 2020 NFL season.

Cannon was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma during his final year at TCU and had been considering opting out in recent days due to COVID-19 concerns. His option is considered “high-risk” and includes a $350,000 stipend (and an accrued season) as a cancer survivor. His contract, which was scheduled to pay $4.7 million this year, will also toll. It's the first dire domino to fall prior to the August 3 deadline as the 32-year-old made 15 starts for New England last season. It's possible the Patriots move Joe Thuney to the right side, or simply trust any of Korey Cunningham, Yodny Cajuste or Justin Herron to fill Cannon's void. Veterans LaAdrian Waddle and Cordy Glenn are also available in free agency. Cannon joins offensive guard Najee Toran and fullback Danny Vitale among those who also took voluntary opt outs with the Patriots.

SOURCE: Karen Guregian on Twitter
Jul 28, 2020, 12:11 AM ET

MAURICE CANADY
DB, DALLAS COWBOYS

Cowboys CB Maurice Canady will opt-out of the 2020 season.

Canady played for the Jets and Ravens last season, starting three of the 13 games he suited up for. The Cowboys' cornerback group remains full of questions after Byron Jones' departure in free agency.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Jul 27, 2020, 11:35 PM ET
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 09:33 AM
As this wave has started, expect to see it grow.

When baseball pulls the plug here in the next few days, expect to see the NFL do the same.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 09:38 AM
Two ex browns ... and Brantley had some talent, just no desire or discipline

Hoping he stays safe though
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 12:00 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 12:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Two ex browns ... and Brantley had some talent, just no desire or discipline

Hoping he stays safe though

It said Brantley was high-risk. I don't recall him having that type of health issue when we got him in the draft. Just discipline issues.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 12:39 PM

When baseball pulls the plug here in the next few days, expect to see the NFL do the same.

This right here. If baseball can't make it happen, there's no chance for football.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 12:39 PM
They report today ... the majority will opt out yesterday or today ... maybe a few will opt out over the first few days of training camp ...

Don’t be so sure baseball’s going to pull the plug over the next few days ... they may be forced to but based off the info we have right now that would be a huge reach to cancel ... they may have to in the future but not in the next few days ...

Football will start ... it will be a joke of a season if they finish but i doubt they finish ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 12:42 PM
j/c:

I have been reading/watching various reports about certain teams like the Rams, Seahawks, etc are doing all they can to keep their employees safe at their facilities. Can you imagine what the folks who work for Daniel Snyder and the Washington franchise are feeling right now? Would you trust those creeps to do all they can to provide a safe environment?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 02:12 PM

There is no indication baseball will cancel the season.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
They report today ... the majority will opt out yesterday or today ... maybe a few will opt out over the first few days of training camp ...

There is a seven day opt out period in which a player can opt out and get a stipend. I think we are on day three of that period.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 03:13 PM
There’s a few more I just don’t feel like copying and pasting ... no big names or even starters I don’t believe ...

EDDIE GOLDMAN
DL, CHICAGO BEARS

Bears DT Eddie Goldman has opted out of the 2020 season due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the move is due to "health concerns," so perhaps Goldman will receive the "high risk" stipend of $350,000 instead of the standard $150,000. Players are not eligible for the $350,000 if the higher risk belongs to a family member. Goldman's guaranteed $4.75 million salary now tolls to the 2021 campaign. The No. 39 overall pick of the 2015 draft, Goldman seemed to break out in 2018, but he returned to being a league-average player in 2019. It's still a huge loss from a snaps perspective, especially against the run.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jul 28, 2020, 10:51 AM ET
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 03:13 PM
Ty sir ... thumbsup
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 03:51 PM
There’s more ... but this ones big ... Pats decimated on D and no Brady ... if BB wins this year he’s alone as the best ever in my book ... he has a real steep hill to climb ...

PATRICK CHUNG
DB, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Patriots S Patrick Chung has opted out of the 2020 season to the coronavirus pandemic.

This is beginning to get serious for the Pats, who have now lost Chung, Dont'a Hightower and Marcus Cannon in one 12-hour period. Players seem to be even more concerned about COVID-19 and the league's protocols than they were letting on. Chung has a child on the way, and did not want to take any chances. One of Bill Belichick's most trusted players on defense, Chung's absence will create a huge void on the back end of the Pats' defense. Coupled with their losses in free agency, the Patriots are beginning to look extremely vulnerable, even if Cam Newton can bounce back. 22 days shy of his 33rd birthday, Chung's contract will toll to 2021, but his age means his future role will be up in the air.

Jul 28, 2020, 11:38 AM ET
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 03:54 PM
Here’s another with some impact ... nothing major but he’s a decent player ...

STAR LOTULELEI
DL, BUFFALO BILLS

Bills DT Star Lotulelei has opted out of the 2020 season due to the coronavirus pandemic.

30-year-old Lotulelei was due $4.5 million guaranteed this season. That will now toll to 2021, with $150,000 of it being paid now as a "stipend." One of the league's better known run stuffers, Lotulelei is not an impact player, but it forces the Bills to immediately dip into their depth in a season where they are beginning to look like AFC East favorites. Harrison Phillips and Vernon Butler are the next men up.

SOURCE: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter
Jul 28, 2020, 11:40 AM ET
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 04:54 PM
That Bills D-line should be able to handle the loss and keep on ticking.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 04:58 PM
WR Marquise Goodwin another opting out.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 05:14 PM
It's happening.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 05:49 PM
There’s more ... but this ones big ... Pats decimated on D and no Brady ... if BB wins this year he’s alone as the best ever in my book ... he has a real steep hill to climb ...

PATRICK CHUNG
DB, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Patriots S Patrick Chung has opted out of the 2020 season to the coronavirus pandemic.

This is beginning to get serious for the Pats, who have now lost Chung, Dont'a Hightower and Marcus Cannon in one 12-hour period. Players seem to be even more concerned about COVID-19 and the league's protocols than they were letting on. Chung has a child on the way, and did not want to take any chances. One of Bill Belichick's most trusted players on defense, Chung's absence will create a huge void on the back end of the Pats' defense. Coupled with their losses in free agency, the Patriots are beginning to look extremely vulnerable, even if Cam Newton can bounce back. 22 days shy of his 33rd birthday, Chung's contract will toll to 2021, but his age means his future role will be up in the air.

Jul 28, 2020, 11:38 AM ET

Now up to (6) Pats playes
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 05:54 PM
Bill may have to suit up ,,, *L* ...

There’s some rookies and FA’s that’ll get a shot now ...

There’s a lot more players opting out than I thought would ..
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 05:54 PM
j/c:

You were saying?

Over 1000 Americans have died for several days in a row now. Not only do you have the players themselves, but their families, coaching and medical staffs along with supporting field crews, those preparing their meals and lodging.

You listed as excuses for "being overly dramatic" some of the very measures that have been passed that has help lead to the rising death count.

Don't sit here and play the victim card now. Own it.

The body count indicates nothing is "being overly dramatic". So yeah, when you say some of the things you say you're gong to get called on it. Deal with it.

And at least if your skin is crawling and your blood is boiling, you know you're still alive. That means you're doing a lot better than over 150,000 other Americans right now.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 05:58 PM
This is my last reply on the subject. Pit is lying about me saying I was okay w/people dying of Covid and all I was concerned about was my kids surviving it. That is a complete fabrication of what I was talking about. It's disgusting that people resort to such irresponsible and hateful messages to try win some stupid board argument.

Once again, I do not think outright lies should be permitted on this board when they are intended to slander another person's character. It is my hope that the refs will discuss that and do the right thing.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 06:10 PM
I'll allow your words to speak for themselves. People can read the things I quoted you as saying. You downplayed the impact of coronavirus in regards to the NFL and later mentioned how your kids were fine in some manner to reinforce it.

You said the concern of other people were "overly dramatic".

Now you lambaste me by calling me disgusting. Take a look in the mirror Vers.

You've been whining about the rules around here for quite a while now. Now you think the refs are going to rewrite the rules to suit your wishes. Get a clue man.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 08:13 PM
Bill may have to suit up ,,, *L* ...

There’s some rookies and FA’s that’ll get a shot now ...

There’s a lot more players opting out than I thought would ..

Good way to tank without looking like you are. Not saying they are doing that, but it would work. Trevor Lawrence is sitting there waiting
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/28/20 09:38 PM
This a COVID strand. I have been looking for names of "Players considering sitting out." I appreciate the intensity and see it as important. We are not following the title. We seem to be turning up more NFL players who are not playing.

Not personal, but might we re-visit the focus? Or split this thing up?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 02:28 PM
Belichek is doing whatever he can to make sure he gets the #1 pick.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 03:18 PM

Don’t be so sure baseball’s going to pull the plug over the next few days ... they may be forced to but based off the info we have right now that would be a huge reach to cancel ... they may have to in the future but not in the next few days ...

Football will start ... it will be a joke of a season if they finish but i doubt they finish ...

Few days doesn't have to mean 2-3 days.

We'll see what happens.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 03:37 PM
I read where players can opt out until Aug 3rd and get something. That is 5 more days including today.

I don't know if we have had any at this point, but I'd expect to see at least a few by next Monday.

The scary thing is how quickly it spread through the Marlins clubhouse. It may spread further. All it takes in one person and BOOM, you can have 20 infected.

I think players are waiting. All it will take is one big time player to opt out and the floodgate will open. If baseball has more problems over the next day or two, the NFL has a problem.

I think a lot of wives will have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with their husbands over the weekend, especially if they have children in the house.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 04:27 PM
I read where players can opt out until Aug 3rd and get something. That is 5 more days including today.

I don't know if we have had any at this point, but I'd expect to see at least a few by next Monday.

The scary thing is how quickly it spread through the Marlins clubhouse. It may spread further. All it takes in one person and BOOM, you can have 20 infected.

I think players are waiting. All it will take is one big time player to opt out and the floodgate will open. If baseball has more problems over the next day or two, the NFL has a problem.

I think a lot of wives will have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with their husbands over the weekend, especially if they have children in the house.

I really think there are different strains of this thing. Some that are more severe and some that are not severe at all.

Out of all the 17 Marlins that tested positive, how many have had troubling symptoms, how many are asymtomattic?

The good news is that no other teams have had positive tests. So if MLB and NFL can get the isolation process right, it can be managed.

It has been working in South Korea. We just have to use them as a template.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 04:58 PM
J/C

I have a friend who plays in the NFL. He says that he expects a lot of players to opt out ... there’s a lot of talk and threats privately. He also thinks OL/DL are far more likely to opt out given their position. Makes sense to see DTs leading the way thus far
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 04:58 PM
I think dosage is also an issue. How much and for long did you get exposed to it.

But it would be interesting to know how the players are currently fairing.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 05:05 PM
I haven't heard about there being different strains. I just think it impacts people differently. Kind of like a cold. Some people, mild that last 4-5 days. Others, heavy symptoms that seem to linger near 3 weeks.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 05:15 PM
I think dosage is also an issue. How much and for long did you get exposed...

This.
Viral load is showing up as a major factor. You walk past a COVID positive person on a trail and breathe in a virus or three of theirs... likely you’ll not get sick. Or at least be asymptomatic.
Spend and hour at dinner, sitting across a table from a COVID positive friend.... good luck.

That’s why outdoor backyard BBQs and gatherings can lead to outbreaks. It’s one thing to spend 10-15 minutes with a buddy chatting outdoors. It’s another to be masklessly eating and drinking beers in a backyard for three hours with friends. Social distance has limitations.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 05:48 PM
The thing is S. Korea had the virus pretty well under control as a nation before trying to implement sports. It seems we're trying to do it backwards.

There's really no way to compare the two at this juncture.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

This.
Viral load is showing up as a major factor. You walk past a COVID positive person on a trail and breathe in a virus or three of theirs... likely you’ll not get sick. Or at least be asymptomatic.
Spend and hour at dinner, sitting across a table from a COVID positive friend.... good luck.

That’s why outdoor backyard BBQs and gatherings can lead to outbreaks. It’s one thing to spend 10-15 minutes with a buddy chatting outdoors. It’s another to be masklessly eating and drinking beers in a backyard for three hours with friends. Social distance has limitations.

The interesting thing with that is you almost would WANT to be exposed to small viral load to develop the antibodies in the event you are eventually exposed to more viral load.

And... you would want to have this happen at least once ever 3 or 4 months so your body keeps the antibodies in your system.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 06:43 PM
But does it work that way?

You get around someone with a cold, maybe you build some antibodies, but you usually catch the cold.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 06:57 PM
But does it work that way?

You get around someone with a cold, maybe you build some antibodies, but you usually catch the cold.

That I don't know. I think, if you have already had that strain of the cold then I don't think you get it. If it is a new mutation, then you wouldn't have the antibodies for that strain.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 06:59 PM
It may work that way with controlled doses in an immunization shot. But in the way strife describes it there's no way to control what dose you're exposed to which has helped lead to the pandemic we see now.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 07:39 PM

This.

The interesting thing with that is you almost would WANT to be exposed to small viral load to develop the antibodies in the event you are eventually exposed to more viral load.

And... you would want to have this happen at least once ever 3 or 4 months so your body keeps the antibodies in your system.

In the studies I’ve read thus far those that are asymptomatic or only get very minor symptoms have very little antibody response. Most asymptomatic carriers have no antibodies at all.
They get exposed but don’t have enough of a viral load to trigger a strong antibody response.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 08:19 PM

This.

In the studies I’ve read thus far those that are asymptomatic or only get very minor symptoms have very little antibody response. Most asymptomatic carriers have no antibodies at all.
They get exposed but don’t have enough of a viral load to trigger a strong antibody response.

Thanks. Like I said, I don't know. I am not going to talk about it like I know what I am talking about. I just ask questions. I just wash up, wear my mask, use hand sanitizer often and spray stuff down with the two cans of Lysol I was able to find.....it's still hard to find that stuff.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 10:45 PM
"Marlins' 2020 season is paused by MLB after COVID-19 outbreak among players, coaches"

They have been playing a little over a week. It is not possible to keep the players and coaches safe and play an NFL season. Not possible. 152,000 Americans have died so far and that number is continuing to rise each and every day(1,144 yesterday).Over 1000 a day now. That is 30,000 a month. Until there is a vaccine, all sports teams should shut it down! Players and coaches will get sick, some may get VERY sick and some might die...
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 11:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
"Marlins' 2020 season is paused by MLB after COVID-19 outbreak among players, coaches"

They have been playing a little over a week. It is not possible to keep the players and coaches safe and play an NFL season. Not possible. 152,000 Americans have died so far and that number is continuing to rise each and every day(1,144 yesterday).Over 1000 a day now. That is 30,000 a month. Until there is a vaccine, all sports teams should shut it down! Players and coaches will get sick, some may get VERY sick and some might die...

I watched a CNN interview with Adam Silver, NBA Commish, and came away very impressed both with the man and their process. They may have a shot at completing their 'season' in October...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/29/20 11:27 PM
Playing in a bubble is their big advantage.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 01:01 AM

The bubble is safer than not the bubble. Everyone is tested everyday (even workers who don’t stay in the bubble). I wish I had a bubble to go to.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 01:08 AM
Quote:
I wish I had a bubble to go to.
LOL...nice.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 01:16 AM

The bubble is safer than not the bubble. Everyone is tested everyday (even workers who don’t stay in the bubble). I wish I had a bubble to go to.

A few are going to break the bubble, then there is no bubble. You'll be trapped inside.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 03:11 AM
I remember this movie from when I was a kid, called the boy in the plastic bubble, or something like that.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 03:56 AM

A few are going to break the bubble, then there is no bubble. You'll be trapped inside.

You aren’t trapped in the bubble.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 09:06 AM

If people go in and out, what's the point of having a bubble?

So you are tested daily. It takes time to get results. If 1 person brings it in, the bubble is over. So now you are sitting in a contaminated environment.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 09:29 AM
I cant help but think of Seinfeld with all of this bubble talk haha.

There’s no doubt it’s more efficient and safe ... but obviously the MLB and NFL didn’t bargain that and had too much pushback
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 11:39 AM

Quote:

So you are tested daily. It takes time to get results. If 1 person brings it in, the bubble is over. So now you are sitting in a contaminated environment.

Quote:
Any players who leave the bubble environment would undergo quarantine of up to 10 days upon their return to Disney, and will need to register two negative tests as well as an antibody test before returning to play. Everyone in the bubble is tested each night, with the results coming the following morning.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-d...lay-in-orlando/

The NBA developed a very sound plan. They have a chance.

The players in MLB said they did not not want to play in a bubble. There was talk about dividing the teams into 4 regions and having them play in that location, but the players nixed that idea and some of the owners were not keen on it either.

I don't think it would be feasible to find a location or locations to do something similar w/the NFL.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 02:11 PM

I meant if there is an outbreak you can leave.

There are tests now, like the NBA is using, where you get results back within minutes.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 02:30 PM

I meant if there is an outbreak you can leave.

There are tests now, like the NBA is using, where you get results back within minutes.

OK...got you now. When I read it this morning, well, it came across like you were being a dork.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 03:37 PM
Honest question because I don't know the answer ... I *thought* you could have CV-19 in the early stages before being symptomatic and not show positive in a test? Is that correct? If you can have early stage CV-19 and not test positive, can you still transmit to others at that stage?
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 03:50 PM
Is it a coincidence that Miami is one of the hotspots in the US right now, and the Marlins team is all infected? It's a different culture there, to many Floridians, Miami is not even considered part of Florida, it's like it's own little republic over there. smile
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 04:04 PM
I think the problem becomes that there are many hot spots that have NFL teams so it's not limited to Miami. Even in Florida the Tampa Bay area isn't doing well. You have Houston, both L.A. teams, New Orleans, Nashville and others.

If it were simply a Miami problem it could probably be circumvented.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 05:21 PM
Honest question because I don't know the answer ... I *thought* you could have CV-19 in the early stages before being symptomatic and not show positive in a test? Is that correct? If you can have early stage CV-19 and not test positive, can you still transmit to others at that stage?

I believe that, yes, you can be infected and not test positive in the earliest days of the infection.

I am nearly certain that you cannot transmit to others and not test positive.

You can transmit to others even if you have no symptoms, but you would test positive if tested.

**of course, this all assumes that the test itself isn't faulty and is actually detecting sars-cov-2.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 05:45 PM
I just saw where a few Philly staffers just tested positive. The Blue Jays Philly series has been postponed. I wonder how many Philly players start to test positive over the next few days?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 06:13 PM
I heard the visitors clubhouse attendant tested positive but no players or any other staff ...

Where did u hear that two philly staffers caught it?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 06:58 PM
ESPN....Philly manager was quoted. Maybe 45 minutes ago.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 07:02 PM
I get the clubhouse attendant getting it ... i wonder what the role of the other staffer or two that tested positive was ...

I wonder if maybe it was their bat boy? .. I’m not sure if the batboy isn’t the clubhouse attendant ... it wouldn’t make sense that staffers caught it if they weren’t in the marlins clubhouse yet no players caught it ...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 07:09 PM
I don't know. It wasn't reported. Just said 2 on the staff, they may have said clubhouse staff. I didn't really catch it in total.

I know they said the Bluejays and Phillies series is canceled/postponed.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 07:10 PM
Those stories cycle. It should come back up soon.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 07:14 PM
Here ya go Peen.

2 more Phillies staffers positive for COVID-19; Blue Jays series postponed

The team said no players tested positive.

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- The weekend series between the Philadelphia Phillies and the Toronto Blue Jays has been postponed after two more Phillies staffers tested positive for COVID-19.

A member of the coaching staff and a member of the home clubhouse staff received the positive test results, the team said.

In a statement issued Thursday, the Phillies said no players received positive results from Wednesday's testing.

Blue Jays manager Charlie Montoyo said concerns about those positive tests led to the series being called off, the AP reported.

"Our plans right now are to stay put and let MLB work through whatever they're working through," Montoyo said before his club played the last of four games in Washington. "We're not going to Philadelphia. Those games have been postponed," he said.

The Phillies said all activity at Citizens Bank Park has been canceled Thursday and until further notice.

🚨BREAKING: Phillies have 2 staff members that tested positive for COVID-19

One is a member of the coaching staff and one is a member of the home clubhouse staff

All activity at Citizens Bank Park has been cancelled today and until further notice.@6abc #Phillies pic.twitter.com/MLkHlb4KOX
— Jeff Skversky 6abc (@JeffSkversky) July 30, 2020

The weekend series against the Blue Jays would have included a doubleheader on Saturday.

Earlier Thursday, word emerged that another player with the Miami Marlins - who recently played at Philadelphia - tested positive for COVID-19, bringing their total outbreak to 17 players, according to a person familiar with the situation told the AP.

On Wednesday, general manager Matt Klentak said an employee who works in the visiting clubhouse tested positive.

The Phillies' four-game, home-and-home series against the New York Yankees was postponed this week following a coronavirus outbreak among the Miami Marlins, who played a season-opening series in Philadelphia last weekend.

The Blue Jays are stuck on the road because the Canadian government wouldn't let them use their stadium in Toronto this season because of fears about teams traveling back and forth to the United States. Eventually, the Blue Jays are supposed to play home games at a minor league ballpark in Buffalo, but it isn't ready.

Miami's team remains quarantined in Philadelphia, where the Marlins' outbreak was discovered during a weekend series against the Phillies. Two Marlins staff members have also tested positive. The person who spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday about the Marlins did so on condition of anonymity because test results were not announced. Miami's season has been suspended through at least Sunday, and it appears the schedule will be altered next week, too.

https://6abc.com/phillies-covid-philadelphia-coronavirus-covid-19-marlins/6342857/

It may not have all of the info you were looking for.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 08:03 PM
I wasn't really looking for info. Just passed along what I heard reported on ESPN. I know some want links, so thanks for finding that.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 08:26 PM

SEAN MCDERMOTT
DL, BUFFALO BILLS

The Bills have sent their rookies home following a fifth positive test for COVID-19.

Not all the positive tests are rookies. The five cases are a total number, with two coming on Thursday, including one as-of-yet unidentified rookie. The team will conduct meetings virtually for the time being. "As we were informed by medical experts as training camp opened, we expected to have positive tests for COVID," the team said in a statement. "With five since the beginning of the testing period last Tuesday, we decided to take a disciplined, proactive and preventative approach to hopefully eliminate additional cases within our team." Teams are going to have to continue to adapt on the fly in this most unusual of summers.

SOURCE: ESPN
Jul 30, 2020, 4:12 PM ET
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 11:20 PM
Not sure if anyone read what I posted about the NBA, but it is extremely evident that their league is head and shoulders above the other major professional sports. Even their players are more unified and being smarter than the guys in MLB.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 11:21 PM
Same can be said of the NHL.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 11:22 PM
I didn't know that. Thanks.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 11:32 PM
It's happening.....it's over
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 11:40 PM
*L* ... your a bit quick on the trigger there Hoss ...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/30/20 11:58 PM

Maybe....I saw where Jamime Gilliin was placed on the COVID list.

That isn't good
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/31/20 12:04 AM

Maybe....I saw where Jamime Gilliin was placed on the COVID list.

That isn't good

Only one guy testing positive after days of testing is actually a pretty good result.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/31/20 10:51 AM
With any luck, the positive tests being reported will open guys' eyes, and get them to be more diligent to protecting themselves and their families.

We still have 6 weeks until the season officially starts, plenty of time to see improvement.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 07/31/20 12:34 PM
That span of six weeks and testing lets players catch up on "missing time" before getting on the NFL routine. Like Hammer did. Time to heal and bounce back hopefully. thumbsup fingerscrossed
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 12:10 AM
I get the clubhouse attendant getting it ... i wonder what the role of the other staffer or two that tested positive was ...

I wonder if maybe it was their bat boy? .. I’m not sure if the batboy isn’t the clubhouse attendant ... it wouldn’t make sense that staffers caught it if they weren’t in the marlins clubhouse yet no players caught it ...

I wonder if they could make it mandatory for all players to have face shields and to create a cloth mask insert that quick attaches to the inside of the face mask, something that can easily be replaced if/when it falls off? I should think this would go a long way in preventing fluid exchanges and still provide players adequate breathing space?
Posted By: FATE Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 12:42 AM
They're going to start with some feedback from players during camp...

Could NFL players wear masks during the 2020 season? Lingering coronavirus-related questions

Kevin Seifert
ESPN Staff Writer

As it draws closer to actual football practices, the NFL is still working to answer a central question of its coronavirus mitigation policy: Is there a practical and effective way to mimic a mask for players on the field?

The league's first response, in conjunction with the NFL Players Association, was to partner with Oakley to create a mouth shield that would be attached to the helmet and presumably prevent the forward movement of droplets that contain the virus. The shields have been distributed to all 32 teams, and players will be given the option to test and provide feedback when they get on the field in August. But pushback from a number of prominent players -- most notably Houston Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt -- has dampened enthusiasm for widespread adoption.

During an appearance Thursday on "The Dan Patrick Show," NFL chief medical officer Allen Sills acknowledged another option: a gaiter-style neck pull-up that some players already wear during cold-weather games. Sills indicated that the league's joint coronavirus task force is researching possible designs that could be used in warm-weather games as well.

How detailed are NFL teams' IDER plans for training camp? What we learned from the Lions
"I'm looking at everything that makes us safer," Sills said. "So I would certainly hope that we arrive at a design that offers protection and doesn't hinder performance, and I think if we do that, it would certainly be something I would want to see everyone adopt. If we can hit that sweet spot, if we can find something that does offer protection and doesn't hinder how guys breathe or communicate on the field, I would have to think the players would buy into that and want that."

As it stands, there is expected to be some voluntary use of masks during practice and games. The league's game-day protocol strongly recommends that coaches, staff members and non-participating players wear them on the sideline. Referees and other officials are likely to be in masks too, to be used in conjunction with electronic whistles.

But for now, the only people required to wear masks on the field on game day are the relative handful of non-football personnel who will have access to the field. So the fundamental paradox of playing football in a pandemic -- minimizing virus spread among players in a game that does not allow for social distancing -- might only be solved by voluntary adoption of technology designs that remain in development. Absent a visor or mask, the NFL will have to hope that the rest of its protocols, from daily or near-daily testing to strict limitations on in-person meetings during the practice week, will prevent infected people from getting onto the field in the first place.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2956...lated-questions
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 12:44 AM
Maybe a treated face shield for linemen that could be treated, especially for linemen and LBs.

How long does killing virus if droplets to kill it/them? I am not knowledgeable about how long that would require. But shields could be swapped or refreshed on sidelines perhaps.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I remember this movie from when I was a kid, called the boy in the plastic bubble, or something like that.

Story of David Vetter... incredible story... I've met his mother who is inspirational to talk to.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 07:09 PM
Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley opting out of 2020 season

Entering his second season with the franchise, New York Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley has decided to opt out of the 2020 campaign, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported.

Mosley, whose first season with the Jets saw him play only two games due to injury, is opting out due to family health concerns.

ESPN's Rich Cimini first reported the news.

Following a five-year run with the Ravens that included a quartet of Pro Bowl nods, Mosley was a much-ballyhooed free-agent signing for the Jets ahead of the 2019 season. However, he played only two games due to a groin injury.

Now, though for vastly different reasons, Mosley will be gone for all of the upcoming season. In his five years with the Ravens, he played in 77 of a possible 80 games.

The move is all the more ominous for the Jets considering it comes a week removed from the franchise trading Pro Bowl safety Jamal Adams to the Seattle Seahawks. Mosley is the second Jets player to opt out, following offensive lineman Leo Koloamatangi.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-linebacker-c-j-mosley-opting-out-of-2020-season
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 07:32 PM
There was no NFL in 1918. It didn't start until 1920. There were a handful of pro football teams but no NFL. A lot of sports shut down during that time due to WW1 and the Spanish flu.

We don't know how bad the Covid-19 pandemic is going to be since it's not over yet. The U.S. death toll from Covid-19 could be close to the Spanish Flu death toll by the time this is over. I hope not but who knows.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 07:39 PM
If there is a season at all a lot of star players will probably sit it out. If that happens this should be considered an exhibition season.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Maybe a treated face shield for linemen that could be treated, especially for linemen and LBs.

How long does killing virus if droplets to kill it/them? I am not knowledgeable about how long that would require. But shields could be swapped or refreshed on sidelines perhaps.

Maybe, but if it kills the virus, do you want to be breathing if deep in to you lungs?

I don't think sniffing Lysol all day is going to be a good thing. I don't think I would want to do that.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 08:59 PM
Thought that I read or saw that some cleaner killed surface junk and offered residual control.
Inside of an open mask might help if something could be found perhaps. I don't wanna huff Lysol either obviously. But if it gives the worst possible "polluters" some protection and is a viable additional control factor, possibly voluntary, it might be a consideration. Not like I suggested bleach swigging.

Was Antonio Brown eligible for this listing, already on it, or just DQed?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/01/20 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Thought that I read or saw that some cleaner killed surface junk and offered residual control.
Inside of an open mask might help if something could be found perhaps. I don't wanna huff Lysol either obviously. But if it gives the worst possible "polluters" some protection and is a viable additional control factor, possibly voluntary, it might be a consideration. Not like I suggested bleach swigging.

Was Antonio Brown eligible for this listing, already on it, or just DQed?

Maybe?

I can speak intelligently on some things, some things not. Medicine is one of the not's for the most part, so I mostly ask questions.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/02/20 05:16 AM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29576708/marqise-lee-becomes-7th-patriots-player-opt-2020-season
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/02/20 09:28 AM
I can totally understand if you have a young child or live with ailing parents, etc. It would be tough for me to turn down the money and such a good job, but I get it
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/02/20 09:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I can totally understand if you have a young child or live with ailing parents, etc. It would be tough for me to turn down the money and such a good job, but I get it

Maybe so, to you and I. Lee has maybe 6 years in the league, so he is on a 2nd contract. He has money in the bank.

The Pats just lost their QB. I think you are seeing guys packing it in because they don't think they are going to be very good. Why risk it to suck?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/02/20 04:59 PM
Lions place QB Matthew Stafford on reserve/COVID-19 list

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2957...PBHWf9xflbIf4Zs
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/02/20 05:20 PM
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/02/20 05:28 PM
I know less than I should probably, but the pandemic thing is a puzzle to most folks. Oddly, as bad as it is going, I can't swing a cat without whacking a passel of "experts" who often can't agree, but experts they be if a camera is set up anywhere near them

I want football, but not at the expense of tragedies. Injuries are one thing; this pandemic issue is a different beast. My gut reaction is if baseball can't function, how in the world will NFL make it work? Or do you just shoot the wounded and force the march onward?

Still have hopes that folks make their necessary choices, but if QBs drop, I think we may have a deluge of others follow them.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/02/20 06:33 PM
If there is a season at all a lot of star players will probably sit it out. If that happens this should be considered an exhibition season.

Regardless of who ends up sitting out or the circumstances surrounding the league and virus in the fall, I am absolutely considering this an exhibition season. Whatever games are played (and in whatever fashion), at least it will be a chance for the Browns to begin implementing the playbook on both sides of the ball in a game time setting. Preparation for 2021.

Exhibition is the word.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 01:13 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 02:14 AM
Originally Posted By: AZBrown

Regardless of who ends up sitting out or the circumstances surrounding the league and virus in the fall, I am absolutely considering this an exhibition season. Whatever games are played (and in whatever fashion), at least it will be a chance for the Browns to begin implementing the playbook on both sides of the ball in a game time setting. Preparation for 2021.

Exhibition is the word.

I disagree w/the "exhibition" term. Football is football.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 04:57 PM
j/c...

Posted By: DaveyD Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 05:37 PM
So, how long until they cancel the season?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: DaveyD

I don't think they will cancel the season. Too much money involved.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: DaveyD

Only time will tell, but speaking for myself only I will be shocked if the NFL makes it through half their schedule.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 07:09 PM
My guess is half of that.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 07:17 PM

Odell speaks out:

""Obviously with everything that's going on, it doesn't make sense why we're trying to do this. I can understand basketball was already in the playoffs. Five-on-five basketball in an arena is going to be more intense than regular-season games. Hooping is different than playing an eleven-on-eleven contact sport where there's 80 people in a locker room. We're not ready for football season. So why are we trying to push forward? It's obviously for their money. And that bothers me because there's always been this—and I hate saying it like that—but the owners' [attitude is], 'Oh we own you guys,' and just kind of that unfairness going on that they don't see us as human. I just feel like the season shouldn't happen and I'm prepared for it to not happen and I wouldn't mind not having it."

Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com later reported that Beckham "has no plans of opting out" after seeing "how safe" the Browns' facility was."

It will always be about the money.

Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Odell speaks out:

""Obviously with everything that's going on, it doesn't make sense why we're trying to do this. I can understand basketball was already in the playoffs. Five-on-five basketball in an arena is going to be more intense than regular-season games. Hooping is different than playing an eleven-on-eleven contact sport where there's 80 people in a locker room. We're not ready for football season. So why are we trying to push forward? It's obviously for their money. And that bothers me because there's always been this—and I hate saying it like that—but the owners' [attitude is], 'Oh we own you guys,' and just kind of that unfairness going on that they don't see us as human. I just feel like the season shouldn't happen and I'm prepared for it to not happen and I wouldn't mind not having it."

Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com later reported that Beckham "has no plans of opting out" after seeing "how safe" the Browns' facility was."

Especially when it's time to redo his contract. rolleyesdevil
Posted By: bonefish Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 08:31 PM

Years ago I had to go to Birmingham Al. for a training class. I checked in to the hotel and found out I was sharing a room. I was a bit surprised by rolled with it. Ends up it is a former OL. He was a marginal guy and played for a number of teams.

Over the class course I got to know the guy.

He told me how cold pro football really is. He said most players find out quick that it is about money. The team rah rah is for the fans. Owners want more money. Players learn. Get all you can when you can.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 08:36 PM

Odell speaks out:

OBJ's comments were made before the testing and safety guidelines were put in place. In the original article, which for some reason was in the Wall Street Journal, it stated that fact.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 09:15 PM

At this point who the hell knows how this will go?

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/03/20 09:38 PM

I know.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 02:30 PM
Then tell us oh wise one. How will it go?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 03:17 PM

Odell speaks out:

OBJ's comments were made before the testing and safety guidelines were put in place. In the original article, which for some reason was in the Wall Street Journal, it stated that fact.

and, he's not wrong.

It is going ahead ONLY because of the owner's money, and nothing else.
And, if MLB has already shown anything, it is that this will run roughshod over entire rosters very, very quickly.

I fully expect the season to start.
I also fully expect the season to be abbreviated and abandoned at some point before Christmas.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 03:37 PM

No.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 03:54 PM

I know.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 04:18 PM

No.

I have known people who have used this tactic before. It allows them to say "I knew it all along" no matter what happens.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 04:24 PM

No.

I have known people who have used this tactic before. It allows them to say "I knew it all along" no matter what happens.

Or they are just joking with people who don’t get jokes.
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 04:32 PM

This would be the year the Browns win the Superbowl and it will be looked at as a Covid fluke that no one will respect. Don't get me wrong, I'd be in hog heaven regardless.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 04:37 PM
Either is possibility.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 04:45 PM

This would be the year the Browns win the Superbowl and it will be looked at as a Covid fluke that no one will respect. Don't get me wrong, I'd be in hog heaven regardless.

If the whole season is played with no missing games I don’t see why any team’s championship would be tainted.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 04:47 PM

I don't care, cause I get to collect in Vegas anyway. smile
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 04:49 PM
I don't know about that. How many star players did you avoid facing due to Covid? I guess one could say that the rules are the same for everyone. However, if a team makes it to the SB by avoiding facing some opponents star players in the playoffs, it's not going to be seen as legit. And really it won't be.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 08:30 PM
I don't know about that. How many star players did you avoid facing due to Covid? I guess one could say that the rules are the same for everyone. However, if a team makes it to the SB by avoiding facing some opponents star players in the playoffs, it's not going to be seen as legit. And really it won't be.

If you play the season, it is a season. It's no different if players go down with a knee injury, or something else.

My personal feeling is they shouldn't, but that is JMO.

But if they do, no matter who may go out, it is a legit season. Everybody faced the same deal.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 08:40 PM
Correct. With that said, I don't foresee a season happening.

And also, I've heard rumors that the state of Ohio will not allow spectators at any "contact" sport, including high school, college, a pro levels.

And lastly, I won't get hyped up about the Browns unless and until they show the came to play and win games.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 09:18 PM
Couldn’t agree less ...

NE’s D has been decimated by opt outs ... who have we lost? ... that doesn’t seem like everyone facing the same deal to me ... it is the sa,e deal but that deal is affecting everyone differently ...

Losing a player to COVID is like losing someone to a knee injury ... come on my friend ... knee injuries don’t spread through the team and cost u 1/2 your roster ... see the marlins ... no way bro ... not even close to the same ,,,

To me this will be a joke of a season ... i believe like in baseball that they will start but not finish ... if they do ... i bet not all the teams play the same amount of games ... in baseball there going by winning % for when that happens ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/04/20 10:16 PM
Hopefully, the NFL is learning from the mistakes of MLB and the success of the NBA.

I would also like to add that while we will all have our own opinions of whether the SB champ is legit or not, I am on the side that it is legit.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 10:24 AM
Couldn’t agree less ...

NE’s D has been decimated by opt outs ... who have we lost? ... that doesn’t seem like everyone facing the same deal to me ... it is the sa,e deal but that deal is affecting everyone differently ...

Losing a player to COVID is like losing someone to a knee injury ... come on my friend ... knee injuries don’t spread through the team and cost u 1/2 your roster ... see the marlins ... no way bro ... not even close to the same ,,,

To me this will be a joke of a season ... i believe like in baseball that they will start but not finish ... if they do ... i bet not all the teams play the same amount of games ... in baseball there going by winning % for when that happens ...

The impacts from team to team might be different, but everybody faces the same deal. No different than a team who gets hit by injuries
Posted By: eotab Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 12:36 PM
baseball has the absolute worse program in playing the season and coping with the virus.

Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 03:26 PM
Curious as to your thought process here ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 03:28 PM
Couldn’t agree less ...

The impacts from team to team might be different, but everybody faces the same deal. No different than a team who gets hit by injuries

OK Pit ... let me know the next time one player goes down with a knee and it spreads to 4 or 5 other players ... thumbsup

Your math is Pitesque here my friend ...
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
baseball has the absolute worse program in playing the season and coping with the virus.

How is football’s different bro?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 03:32 PM
Only Pit agrees with you. So how's your math today? Have you managed to get beyond 0+0=0 yet?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 03:59 PM
Couldn’t agree less ...

OK Pit ... let me know the next time one player goes down with a knee and it spreads to 4 or 5 other players ... thumbsup

Your math is Pitesque here my friend ...

Not sure where Pit factors in but everybody faces the same challenges. It isn't exclusive to a team or two.

When you are 24, you want to bump your sweaty belly with a sweaty woman belly.

Just the way it is. That instinct never fades.

Just saying....
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 04:45 PM
Curious as to your thought process here ...

About what? The NFL learning from the NBA and the mistakes of MLB? Or if the season will be legit or not?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 05:02 PM
Legite season ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 05:06 PM
Well, I think we all will have our own separate opinions on that and we won't be able to prove our opinions.

If they are able to crown a SB champ, I will consider it legit. I say that because I know just hard it is to win even one football game, never mind being the last one standing when all is said and done.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 05:20 PM
.... never mind being the last one standing when all is said and done.

No pun intended? wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/05/20 05:22 PM
LOL....Nice.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/06/20 09:41 PM

I'll have a lash. A number of these players WILL contract Covid-19. There is no doubt of that. Some of those will get very sick. A few may even die. A few will recover but be out of the league for a year or more to FULLY recover from the damage the virus caused. You don't just get better from Covid and hit the ground running. It lingers.

A number of coaches will contract Covid-19. This is more worrisome. There are many coaches in the danger zone age/health wise. Some will get very sick. A few may even die.

These are all facts. It is not possible to keep players and coaches safe. There are far too many factors to cover everything. Travel, hotels, etc. Lockerrooms, team meetings, etc. Even if you could quarantine the entire team, keeping them away from family and friends for the entire season(and that isn't possible) it would still be impossible to keep every single player and coach safe. All it takes is ONE. Someone that contracts Covid and doesn't know it. He gives it to others and they don't know it. In 14 days a LOT of people can be infected. It is what it is. The players have the option to opt out and that is exactly what they should do. But their egos preclude it so they risk their career and life. Make no mistake though, it is a risk. Some will lose that gamble. II don't blame anyone for opting out. It is the smart thing to do.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/06/20 09:43 PM
Well, I think we all will have our own separate opinions on that and we won't be able to prove our opinions.

If they are able to crown a SB champ, I will consider it legit. I say that because I know just hard it is to win even one football game, never mind being the last one standing when all is said and done.

I agree and it will be even harder this season. The risks are higher, there may well be an outbreak that hits teams hard. If a team can go through all of this and win then it is definitely legit. I think it is stupid to have a season but if they do then the winners earned it!
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/06/20 09:46 PM
Feels like it may play out like strike ball for those old enough to remember it. If you can't, well. a lot of the flavor of this season might be reminiscent of The Replacements. The virus could win all ties. We seem OK so far.

Stay tuned!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/07/20 09:25 AM
I’m way more worried about the coaches or staff members getting it severely than the players. Sure, there may be a few players who get a severe case, but a guy like Bruce Arians? Not good
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/10/20 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

I'll have a lash. A number of these players WILL contract Covid-19. There is no doubt of that. Some of those will get very sick. A few may even die. A few will recover but be out of the league for a year or more to FULLY recover from the damage the virus caused. You don't just get better from Covid and hit the ground running. It lingers.

A number of coaches will contract Covid-19. This is more worrisome. There are many coaches in the danger zone age/health wise. Some will get very sick. A few may even die.

These are all facts. It is not possible to keep players and coaches safe. There are far too many factors to cover everything. Travel, hotels, etc. Lockerrooms, team meetings, etc. Even if you could quarantine the entire team, keeping them away from family and friends for the entire season(and that isn't possible) it would still be impossible to keep every single player and coach safe. All it takes is ONE. Someone that contracts Covid and doesn't know it. He gives it to others and they don't know it. In 14 days a LOT of people can be infected. It is what it is. The players have the option to opt out and that is exactly what they should do. But their egos preclude it so they risk their career and life. Make no mistake though, it is a risk. Some will lose that gamble. II don't blame anyone for opting out. It is the smart thing to do.

Here's a thought... if we "listen to the science" that means professional athletes would fall in to the tiniest of risk categories. Only a handful of them have a comorbidity that in reality would move them out of that risk group in to another.

Now I would agree that many of the coaches and coordinators would be in a higher risk category such as Bruce Arians. If those people have assessed the situation and team/League procedures and choose to coach this season, maybe we ought to trust them?

The only real ego being exhibited is by those who keep characterizing anyone who doesn't believe the way they do that they are merely stupid or selfish, as if they know better than anyone else.

I'd be curious to know for any of you guys who believe the players should opt out because its the "right" thing to do, would this mean if there are any games played you'll refuse to watch them? After all anyone who does watch them is at least implicitly supporting such a dangerous and selfish thing. If you guys still will watch them, that's cool. I'm not trying to play the "Who's a Hypocrite" game. I'm just curious when people take a strong position as to how strong it is. You know? Like, if we cheer because Nick Chubb in no uncertain terms gets the Rushing Title this year, do we also hold a memorial service for all the people who dies to make that happen?
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/10/20 12:29 PM
I watched the Browns for years, including the "Owen" season and strike ball. I am conditioned to watch disasters, like train wrecks and Browns games. If they are willing I will honor it from a safe distance. But I am a fan, which conditionally means I may be a hypocrite at times and hold conflicting decisions' positions. Fans aren't the pistons driving the problem; I doubt that those fans embody the real solution either. But it is between me and the Browns. Make up your own mind for yourself.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/10/20 02:49 PM
Listening to the health experts doesn't mean "we know better than anyone else". It means we actually listen to the people that know better than anyone else.
Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/13/20 03:25 AM

Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/21/20 10:17 PM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2970...gs-learned-week

Where did all the doom and gloomers go?
Posted By: mac Re: Players considering sitting out - 08/22/20 12:45 PM
THIS IS GOOD...click and DTers is up and running.

Thanks to all who worked hard to get DTers up and running. fingerscrossed
© DawgTalkers.net