Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The NFL still has time to implement a bubble like the NBA has.

Get more games on TV to recoup the TV revenue.

I think the next two weeks will be telling in regards to actually having a season.

If there is one season where I wish we had a season, it would be this one...

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Southwestdawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
One is a given of the profession. The other is extraordinary, and really does risk your children and wife.

It's one thing to risk your own health. How much more should you be paid to risk your families health?

I don't know there is any amount for that. A $billion wouldn't do it for me. Risk my kids? No way.

jc
There is a gentleman who lives around the block from me who is a "contractor" for the military who goes to Afghanistan regularly. Each time he has come back since the corona-apocalypse he stays in his 5th wheel trailer for 14 days before he goes around his family. If he and his family take those precautions, I don't begrudge people playing a game to do the same.

How do you stay in a trailer for 14 days when you play games every 7 days? The math doesn't work IMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
One is a given of the profession. The other is extraordinary, and really does risk your children and wife.

It's one thing to risk your own health. How much more should you be paid to risk your families health?

I don't know there is any amount for that. A $billion wouldn't do it for me. Risk my kids? No way.

jc
There is a gentleman who lives around the block from me who is a "contractor" for the military who goes to Afghanistan regularly. Each time he has come back since the corona-apocalypse he stays in his 5th wheel trailer for 14 days before he goes around his family. If he and his family take those precautions, I don't begrudge people playing a game to do the same.

How do you stay in a trailer for 14 days when you play games every 7 days? The math doesn't work IMO.

Maybe he is saying he wouldn't hold it against players if they opted out?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

jc

Maybe he is saying he wouldn't hold it against players if they opted out?

Ok, that is a option. I agree. I don't think the players should play. Maybe I read it wrong, didn't read in enough, or you are reading in....either way, it's all good.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm not sure. That is just the way I took it. I could be wrong. I think he is saying to error on the side of caution.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I'm not sure. That is just the way I took it. I could be wrong. I think he is saying to error on the side of caution.

All's good

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Things about this virus almost changes daily.

Fauci the self acclaimed expert said scientifically that Masks do not change a thing (cloth masks especially) Medical its needed but in common people and in common areas the mask does not help and sometimes hurt as the virus lives and grows in cloth masks.

Now he says without any scientific proof that everyone should wear a mask??? HUH???

Again, we should have continuous breaks which should be done in the heat anyways and all should wash with disinfectant soap (dial) their hands and face...then resume practice. This will prevent the spread of any virus much much more than a mask!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
All soap is anti microbial. Just wash for 20-30 seconds.

Dawn dish soap in the best IMO. It cuts grease like nothing else. Just a small dap and you lather up good.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
MARK ANDREWS
TE, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Ravens TE Mark Andrews, who has Type 1 diabetes, indicated that he plans to play in 2020.

“We’ve got a big year coming up," Andrews said in a Zoom call with the Children with Diabetes foundation. "My goal is continue to use my platform. I want to continue to help kids and families that are dealing with [Type 1 Diabetes]." Diabetes will reportedly be covered under the NFLPA's opt-out clause for at-risk players, but the 24-year-old could serve as a case study if he remains insistent on taking the field. (For what it's worth, Andrews knowingly pricks his finger about 30 times per game to diligently monitor his glucose levels.) He's believed to be the only active NFL player with the disease.

SOURCE: Jonas Shaffer on Twitter
Jul 16, 2020, 10:47 AM ET

P
Legend
Legend
P
Fauci is not a "self proclaimed expert". He is an expert who has worked alongside six presidents and is proven to be an expert in his field.

Experts base their findings on the evidence at hand. When a virus is new there is very little information with which to form recommendations on. As time goes on and more evidence comes in, those recommendations change.

It's not that complicated.

The evidence is in. Masks help save lives.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I agree well stated

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: eotab
Things about this virus almost changes daily.

Fauci the self acclaimed expert said scientifically that Masks do not change a thing (cloth masks especially) Medical its needed but in common people and in common areas the mask does not help and sometimes hurt as the virus lives and grows in cloth masks.

Now he says without any scientific proof that everyone should wear a mask??? HUH???

Again, we should have continuous breaks which should be done in the heat anyways and all should wash with disinfectant soap (dial) their hands and face...then resume practice. This will prevent the spread of any virus much much more than a mask!

If Fauci isn't an expert, then there are no experts. So I dunno about your little 'self proclaimed' dig.

I think part of the confusion regarding masks (if my memory serves) was that masks were initially looked at to protect the wearer. People wanted to wear masks in order to protect themselves, and it was (correctly) communicated that that isn't the case. A single (or even double and triple) layer of cloth isn't going to protect you from a virus traveling via droplets. It will, however, protect others from you (along with distancing and other good practices... masks don't cover for not distancing and stuff).

Last edited by oobernoober; 07/16/20 03:07 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

NFLPA Reveals 72 Players Were Diagnosed with COVID-19 as of July 10

TYLER CONWAY
JULY 16, 2020

Link

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
NFL will place players who test positive for COVID-19 on IR for three weeks

Mike Florio
July 16, 2020

The NFL and NFL Players Association already have reached an agreement regarding the procedures for dealing with players who test positive for COVID-19.

Per a league source, the league intends to change the injured reserve rules to create a COVID-19 classification. Players who test positive will be placed on the COVID-19 list for three weeks, creating a roster spot that would then be filled with a player who is negative for the virus.

The players on the COVID-19 list would be paid their normal salaries.

It’s unclear what will happen if a player on the COVID-19 list can’t return after three weeks, at which time he will be eligible to return to practice. He must be returned to the active roster within three weeks after that, or he will revert to IR (absent an injury settlement).

The goal will be to keep the roster strong and to avoid shutting players down for the full season. The broader objective will be to keep the league from collapsing if teams suffer outbreaks that shut them down.

The procedures haven’t been finalized. The league’s owners, who are due to meet tomorrow, quite possibly will vote on the measure then.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...or-three-weeks/

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
jc...

NFLPA Reveals 72 Players Were Diagnosed with COVID-19 as of July 10

TYLER CONWAY
JULY 16, 2020

Link

"NFLPA Reveals 72 Players Were Diagnosed with COVID-19 as of July 10"...

This certainly is not the way to start the NFL season. How many more players have been exposed but not even tested yet?

I believe the NFLPA will be on top of the situation and Roger Goodell and the owners will have a difficult time convincing the players to put their trust in the hands of those motivated by the money and rather than the health risk.

O
Legend
Legend
O
If covid has these longer term effects on the lungs and energy levels, I wonder if that will impact these players performance? I mean I know they are in great shape for the most part, but there are a lot of videos of normal people saying once you test negative the health issues are not ending.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Of course it affects everybody differently, but some players WILL be severely hampered.

One of my good friends had it in May. He’s very active, good athlete, young/fit, etc.

He was incapacitated from the disease ... literally could barely lift his head.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Both of my kids tested positive and they haven't talked about any lingering effects.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Did he make a full recovery?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Did he make a full recovery?

My buddy that had it, who was also extremely fit, active, strong, healthy, was in the ICU with it. He recovered fully... kinda. He no longer has COVID, but his strength, energy, and physical capacity were knocked WAY down.

I think the assumption with the 3 week IR may be that if they need longer than that to recover from a COVID infection, they aren't likely to be in any condition to return to playing at a high level, so they will likely get moved to the permanent IR.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I believe the 3 weeks is so that you can come back and not be contagious. 3 weeks is for the virus itself. The toll the virus took on your body would be in addition to that.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I think the assumption with the 3 week IR may be that if they need longer than that to recover from a COVID infection, they aren't likely to be in any condition to return to playing at a high level, so they will likely get moved to the permanent IR.

The USA is so 'new' to the coronavirus that no one has even conducted a long term analysis of the affects of the virus.

We have to at least get to 'long term', say a 12 month study of a specific group and specific number of NFL players, before we can arrive at any sort of conclusion as to the long term affect on those who contract coronavirus.

Last edited by mac; 07/17/20 09:12 AM.

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I wonder what players will think about this ... it may push some into opting out ... i read today the NFL wants to know by 8/1 whose opting out ...

Things are starting to get interesting ....

ANDREW WHITWORTH
T, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Rams LT Andrew Whitworth tested positive for COVID-19.

Whitworth, 39 years old, calls the situation "scary" as not only did he test positive, but his entire family did as well. He contracted it after a family member visited a friend. He's the latest example of how contagious the coronavirus is, and how big of a problem the NFL has to get this season in without many hiccups. Training camp starts next week.

SOURCE: Dave Birkett on Twitter
Jul 17, 2020, 1:18 PM ET

B
Legend
Legend
B
Give it a few weeks and you will have multiple teams unable to practice.

The season is a pipe dream.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
IMO, the NFL is hoping for something to happen that is beyond reality.

The more experienced players are going opt out and not allow themselves to used as the NFL's guinea pigs.

None of the players should agree to begin practicing without evidence of a plan from the NFL.

Last edited by mac; 07/17/20 06:20 PM.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Just call the season. Billionaires will still be billionaires. As will the millionaires. For the lowest end of the pay scale, join the rest of the 98% of us.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Selfishly, I want the NFL to play very badly.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Selfishly, I want the NFL to play very badly.

LOL.........I was thinking about that earlier. I want there to be a season so much. I've been reading the political crap since we haven't had sports and it is so disgusting. I just want to argue about sports. Sports are not important in the sense that they set policies, but they are a diversion to get away from all the crap in our society and it's no big deal if someone loves or hates Baker, loves or hates Sashi, loves or hates Hue. LOL.....it's not important.

It would be great to have a diversion and just enjoy the game, but that's selfish and I am thinking that they should not play the season. It bums me out to say that, but it is what it is.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Honestly, the NFL helps me get through the year. No matter what has happened in the first part of the year, knowing the NFL is coming helps me get through. And when fall is here, looking forward to every Sunday helps me get through each week. Bad week at work? That's ok, here comes Sunday. This isn't to imply I have this crappy life. It's quite the opposite. I am very blessed. But the Cleveland Browns have been a part of my life for so long, it's just depressing thinking about no NFL season.

This is a very selfish thought. I just want to feel normal again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I get it, Rish. I really do.

I'm bummed, too.

But, it's about putting others ahead of ourselves.

Legend
Legend
Same here. I want something to look forward to watching and discussing. Even though I’ve managed to get by the past few months, without sports it isn’t the same for me

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I get it, Rish. I really do.

I'm bummed, too.

But, it's about putting others ahead of ourselves.

We all do. Look at the amount of time most of us spend on a Browns message board.

I don't think any of us want the season called off, but realize it is probably the best thing to do.

If it isn't safe for people stand close together, how is it safe for players to play the game of football?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
The media has scared people beyond the reality of this. I'm saying that there will be no season. I know of six people who have tested positive, not one was ever even the least bit sick. I know that people do get sick, but many don't. They are claiming "spikes" in certain states, they are not "spikes", they are results of heavy testing. 2 of the people I know where told that they probably have had it for a couple weeks. The hospitalizations are down and the death rate is going lower. My son works in a clinic that is doing testing, he says very few positive tests lead to hospitalization.

People can believe what they want, and I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything, but this whole thing is being misreported. It has been from the get go. I've been working thru the whole thing and see hundreds of other people working thru it everyday. I have yet seen any of these people getting sick. And most are not wearing masks and have not the whole time.

IMO,the media and the government have created unnecessary panic. The thing is real, and people have died from it. But the risk of death is being pushed beyond the reality of it.

Many of these players will still get paid, so it is easy for them to decide to sit out. Many of us could not sit out, and we received nothing for our effort. Politics are playing to big a part in this whole fiasco.

You put to much truth in this for anybody else to want to comment on. Death rates are dropping, not that they were ever high among people in the age range of NFL players, but they are dropping everywhere. Positive tests for having the virus have continued to go up, but that doesn't mean they all have the disease. You're 100% right in that this has been blown way out of the proportion to scare the public for political reasons. I've been out working among the masses since the beginning (November) and have only known 1 person that tested positive for the virus, they never got the disease. Oh well, this will be over and something new will take it's place.

I'm grateful for Browns football.
B
Legend
Legend
B
At first doctors didn't know how to treat it. They weren't even sure how it was killing people.

Now we at least have a few possible treatments that seem to help a good number of people.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Some posts actually lack anything worth commenting to. Claiming Covid 19 isn't dangerous and wearing masks aren't needed are such type of comments.

Hospitalizations are up. ICU rates are up. The death rate is up. There were no facts presented to comment on.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
self proclaimed dig...just looking at the facts that is all. I don't want PC crapola I want scientific facts as we know them.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
ROGER GOODELL
COM, NFL

In coordinated Twitter postings Sunday afternoon, a host of NFL players criticized the league's coronavirus plan.

More specifically, the league's lack of a plan. "If the NFL doesn’t do their part to keep players healthy there is no football in 2020," were the words of Drew Brees, amongst many others. Players from J.J. Watt to Russell Wilson took part in the effort. In Watt's post, he said players still do not know how a positive COVID-19 test will be handled, or how the league might handle opt-outs. The league is still trying to claim players will report as usual this week, but the number of unresolved critical issues is massive.

SOURCE: J.J. Watt on Twitter
Jul 19, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well we all know the Statesmen knows more than the CDC and epidemiologists across the country. No, there are no actual facts to debate here.

15,292 people were fatally shot in The United States in 2019, excluding suicides, according to data gathered by Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit that tracks shootings. In 2019, an estimated 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes.

In five months 140,000 Americans have died from Covid 19 and people are still trying to make excuses to deny the science.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
So you didn’t click the link?

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Players considering sitting out

Link Copied to Clipboard