DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Kareem Hunt - 08/06/22 11:22 PM

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/06/22 11:23 PM
He gone.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/06/22 11:45 PM
Fun times!

Wants paid knowing he has to run into a stacked box all season before heading into FA.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 12:23 AM
Pay him.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 12:38 AM
I'd hate to see him go.

But if it has to happen, I hope what we saw of D'Ernest last season was the real thing moving forward.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 02:32 AM
Pay the man.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 02:38 AM

Bruh, a suggestion, if I may: you really should make this your sig.
Priceless.
Posted By: FATE Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 02:40 AM
Amen to that.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

Bruh, a suggestion, if I may: you really should make this your sig.
Priceless.

Done.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 03:28 AM
Not sure why I don't see it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 03:41 AM
I would put the chances of this front office paying Hunt anymore than he is already scheduled to be paid at pretty close to zero.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 09:32 AM
Looks like we’ll be trading him for a mid round pick … what teams could use his skill set?
Posted By: myka Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Looks like we’ll be trading him for a mid round pick … what teams could use his skill set?

No decently run organization would give a draft pick and more than $5m for a 2nd string RB coming off injury.

Maybe the Jets if they didn’t learn from Leveon? Lions? I dunno who else is dumb enough
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 11:30 AM
Kamara should be suspended so they would need a RB. However, the NFL already pushed his hearing back, so they are hoping his story just goes away. Other than that......maybe Buffalo, Houston, Bears, Falcons, TB, and maybe Seattle.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 11:32 AM
I don't think it's fair to say that Hunt is a 2nd string RB. He led the league in rushing. He is probably a better all-around back than Chubb. With that said, the market for RBs has been less than lukewarm for awhile now.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 12:44 PM
He's under contract,, time for him to show up and work
Posted By: FATE Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 01:06 PM
I wonder how much of this new attitude has to do with the contrast between how his "homecoming" to the Browns worked out and the way the team is treating Watson.

Hunt:

Took full responsibility
Showed true remorse
Sought professional treatment

Put his head down and worked for peanuts
Signed team-friendly contract
8M guaranteed

Watson:

No responsibility
No remorse
No treatment

Red carpet
Sun, moon and stars
240M guaranteed / protected from suspension

May very well be the impetus for "time to move on".
Posted By: Jester Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 01:32 PM
Do we know, does he want more money, meaning a higher per year salary or does he want more years at the same salary, or both?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 02:07 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I really like Hunt, but I am questioning his strategy. He does not appear to have a lot of leverage. Also, I'm not sure I like the Browns hard-line stance, but that might just be a perception given the reporting language.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 02:25 PM
I'm old enough to remember when the Browns told Baker they would not trade him after he requested a trade.

Thanks for the memories, Kareem!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 02:31 PM
New Orleans could make sense, but it appears that the NFL is conveniently just sweeping the Kamara incident under the rug
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 02:40 PM
What an offseason. So many layers to this one.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 02:43 PM

Posted By: boofers20 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 03:02 PM
I know stats don't lie, but for me Kareem passes the eye test. Seems like he always makes some plays when we need them the most. How are we going to screw up the best RB duo in the NFL? makes no sense to me. I guess the flip side to this would mean more carries for Chubb, so he can rightfully lead the league in yards.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 03:08 PM
I’m not particularly worried about the running game, I’m more concerned with the passing game without Kareem
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 03:11 PM
I’m not particularly worried about the running game, I’m more concerned with the passing game without Kareem

And blocking. He is our best blocking back.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 03:34 PM
KEEP KAREEM! Pay him. We could have 10 Hunts for the price of one RDW. We should try to keep the key talent we have since we traded the farm in first-rounders for RDW.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 03:35 PM
The Browns have told Hunt's agent he will not be traded.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ld-kareem-hunt-they-wont-be-trading-him/

So, He will play or be fined. After this year he will be a free agent.

Ford was drafted because of that.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 03:46 PM
I would be pretty surprised if both Hunt and Johnson are on the team week one.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 04:55 PM
I don't blame Hunt. His window to get paid is closing exponentially with each passing day.

I hope he and the Browns can get it worked out. Love watching him play, and I believe he's part of the solution here. But it's understandable from both sides if they can't.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I don't blame Hunt. His window to get paid is closing exponentially with each passing day.

This.

He's got time left in the league, but not miles.

Got to look after himself and his future. It's a business. Try to get out after a few more years while the getting is sort of good.

I don't know if it's a situation where he and his agent believe he can make #1 RB money for another team for the short term or not.

It was bound to happen.

It would be tough to lose him, especially with some other Browns' issues up in the air now.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 05:25 PM
Maybe this is just Hunt making an executive decision on his body that,
He isn't going to learn anything he doesn't already know,
So it isn't any benefit to be going into 7-on 7s and II on IIs in training camp when all that can happen is the risk of injury
at this point of his career.
and when the games come around he'll be ready to go.

Pre-Season needs abolished too.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 06:11 PM
Anyway you slice it, it just another cloud of drama that this franchise doesnt need.
Maybe the drafting of Ford was a indictment of the front office expecting this Hunt.
I.dont understand the reluctance of trading Hunt. RB is the strongest position on this
Team while WR is the weakest.
Trade Hunt for a draft pick next year and use that pick for a WR.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15
I would put the chances of this front office paying Hunt anymore than he is already scheduled to be paid at pretty close to zero.

I agree,
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 07:14 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 07:19 PM
Good news. We are better off w/him than the draft choice and he probably wasn't going to get the money he is seeking elsewhere. Someone mentioned this already, but his best bet is to have a great year and then get a new contract here or somewhere else next year.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 09:44 PM
Good news that he’s participating today. Having him on the team this year helps us this year.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/07/22 10:38 PM
I don't blame him. He will never be the feature back here, and that hurts is earning potential. He was bound to ask for more money sooner or later. The dude is a stud and would be RB #1 anywhere he went.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/08/22 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by DaveyD
Not sure why I don't see it.

We can see it.
Looks good on you.

wink
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/08/22 01:14 AM
Make sure you have the spinner (drop down) set in your profile to see signatures.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/08/22 11:50 AM
I like Hunt...a lot. But I don't know how anyone didn't see this as inevitable. I think this season will be lost the second DW gets his do-over suspension term. Might as well get something for Hunt before he walks next year. We have DE and just drafted Ford...BEHIND Chubb. I won't like it...but it should probably happen.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/08/22 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I like Hunt...a lot. But I don't know how anyone didn't see this as inevitable. I think this season will be lost the second DW gets his do-over suspension term. Might as well get something for Hunt before he walks next year. We have DE and just drafted Ford...BEHIND Chubb. I won't like it...but it should probably happen.

I feel bad for Hunt. Dude wants to get paid, but he has absolutely 0 leverage. He could start for a majority of the league, though.

Nobody is going to trade for him just to have to give him a mega contract next year.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/08/22 08:13 PM
His only hope is to ball out, stay healthy, and stay out of trouble. If he does those three things he’ll get another 3 year deal elsewhere
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Anyway you slice it, it just another cloud of drama that this franchise doesnt need.
Maybe the drafting of Ford was a indictment of the front office expecting this Hunt.
I.dont understand the reluctance of trading Hunt. RB is the strongest position on this
Team while WR is the weakest.
Trade Hunt for a draft pick next year and use that pick for a WR.
That would weaken the 2022 Browns for a whole year, and right before the season begins, and we know Hunt can play, nobody can be sure about any future draft pick.
thumbsdown
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 04:50 AM

Pat McAfee share my sentiments about that too much controversies isn’t good.

It seems like Andrew Berry has a habit of being inconsistent or maybe not fully honest as a communicator because major disagreements and controversies often starts with wrong expectations. The number of disappointed Browns players who wants to be traded because they think they deserve a better contract starts to stack up. When those disagreements ends with such strong disappointment that the conflict goes public then the relationship is often near the end. When the employer then starts to threaten their employees with fines or similar then it’s often a sign of a unhealthy working environment. Threats as a tool to keep authority never works if you want success, it’s that simple.

I use the same principles as with my criticism of DSW, one mistake can happen to anyone but when making the same mistakes over and over again then the alarm bells is ringing. Maybe it’s time for young Berry to start to look in the mirror and ask himself why his leadership methods doesn’t works?
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 05:17 AM
...Yes, we know you side with anyone that has their hand out for more money.

Seriously, NFL players wanting to be paid more is a non-story. Wouldn't even be surprised if the Browns leaked this to see if any teams would bite. We seem to have a surplus at the position and just paid Chubb. We're unlikely to pay another RB who would likely be in his 30s at the end of his next contract.

I love Hunt, but he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning, most likely. Don't get me wrong he probably has good years in him, but he did miss 9 games last season with multiple injuries. His style doesn't typically go with longevity.

At this point, the team is pretty used to dealing with/tuning out drama. That's life in the NFL, especially in certain segments of the media.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
...Yes, we know you side with anyone that has their hand out for more money.

Seriously, NFL players wanting to be paid more is a non-story. Wouldn't even be surprised if the Browns leaked this to see if any teams would bite. We seem to have a surplus at the position and just paid Chubb. We're unlikely to pay another RB who would likely be in his 30s at the end of his next contract.

I love Hunt, but he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning, most likely. Don't get me wrong he probably has good years in him, but he did miss 9 games last season with multiple injuries. His style doesn't typically go with longevity.

At this point, the team is pretty used to dealing with/tuning out drama. That's life in the NFL, especially in certain segments of the media.

Leaking information of controversies and publicly threaten your own employees with hefty fines? Seems like a good strategy that’s often practiced by successful employers around the world, right?

These old school methods when managers play hard ball and threaten people worked well when dinosaurs was occupying the earth but lately most modern leaders has moved on from such crap. When I search for successful leaders most of them practice good and honest communication built and trust and understanding. A employer who look after their employees best interests and always trying to work for a mutual good solution often surround themselves with loyal hard working and professional people who don’t go on strike when disagreements appear. You know the best recipe for long term success but unfortunately the concept of building “long term” seems unfamiliar for certain organizations.

I fully understand the context around not giving elder players on their last leg to much money but with this approach it’s hard to build continuity and create a attractive player environment.

Btw. Brady seems to have other thoughts about how to practice leadership. Sees value in comradeship and trust. Seems to work….
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 11:46 AM
Pretending to play GM can be tricky when you don't know all the facts.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Floquinho

I can agree controversies aren't good. I think Pat is flailing a bit at a dead horse here. The one comment he made about 4:20 in was dead on the money though .... "Has anyone seen a clip of Brissett throwing a football yet" ... the answer is no, and per Purple's comments from the other day from being at camp, his balls don't look good. I personally think the notion that JB is better than injured QB from last year might be wishful thinking.... at the end of the day and that is very concerning.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 12:45 PM
j/c:

After reading a few posts, I am not sure if the following is known to all of you.

Hunt did not hold out. He held in. That has become a common negotiating tactic this year around the league.

He was participating in individual and group drills while holding in, but did not take part in team activities.

He has since returned to participating in team activities.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 01:01 PM
As a GM analyzes and develops a roster they must plan well in advance.

That is why James Hudson and Nick Harris were drafted as an example. The plan was to replace aging veterans nearing their contract end. Give them a couple years to develop then replace the veteran.

Good running backs see their market value drop at 30 because the stats show their shelf life is 5 or 6 years. There are exceptions but that is the rule.

D'Ernest out performed Hunt last year. They gave him a contract. They drafted Ford. Hunt has this year remaining on his deal he is 27. They extended him once already. Sure if I am Hunt I want an extension. This is his last big pay day. Why should the Browns pay him max dollars when he is a second string player and his replacements are on the team now?

Hunt has great value for the Browns this year. He is under contract through this year. Hunt is in no position to demand anything. That is life in the NFL. Teams are always planning to replace you. You don't by practice extend running backs for second contracts as they near 30. You can replace them with rookies. Chubb was extended because of production and because he was not used up as a solo back.

Berry is doing his job.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 01:05 PM
If Baker would have stayed I don't think the Browns would have made the playoffs. He would have had less weapons this year than last year. He would also have been upset without a contract extension. He was already upset at the organization and fans in general. If anyone needed a fresh start it was him.

If Brissett plays all year, same result. Maybe Baker might have been good for an extra win or two, but in both cases you're not making the playoffs.

Watson was the only shot at making the playoffs so it's shaping up to be an unenjoyable season.

My suggestion...adopt a second team for the year. Not have a second, just a team you wouldn't mind see winning and take a rooting interest for the year. I'm down to about three teams I'm considering. You can pick the Panthers. Baker is apparently running away with the QB comp.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 01:47 PM
We disagree on what things would have been like with BM at QB. I think a lot would have depended on the atmosphere and KS and BM would have had to clear the air. But Amari Cooper is better than anything we had last year at WR, Bell has potential to be as good or better than the rest. . . and we missed the play offs by 1 game with injured BM. Hooper was 'not good' and while Njoku is still a giant question mark in terms of consistency, I'm happier with him and Bryant as #1 and #2 TE. Injuries hurt everywhere last year too .... But none of that really matters ....

I struggle to watch and can't root for any team other than the Browns - other than highlights and Thursday night games, Monday night games and playoffs etc. After leaving Cleveland I lived in Phoenix when the cardinals were pretty good, never rooted for them or watched them. I moved to Charlotte 10 years ago and never root for them and have not watched many games on TV (less than 4?)- have been to 3 or 4 games live. With Baker in town I will be interested to see how he does but I won't be rooting for him or the Panthers. I'm more likely to root against the Steelers and Ravens, than have a team to root for. Along with BM I'll also be interested in the progression and how good Burrows is, Herbert, and the dearth of WR talent that was in the draft this year ... in fact if I have anything of true interest for me if the Browns are flailing, it will be this year's rookie WR class (and of course my fantasy teams!).
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish

Give me one reason why I should feel confident with our current leadership. A past history of success?

Did we handle the OBJ saga well?
Jarvis Landry?
Troy Hill?
How about Baker Mayfield? How our GM handled that beauty was a masterpiece.
And now Kareem Hunt.

Always somebody else’s fault…, that’s hard to beat.
Posted By: FATE Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 02:17 PM

Give me one reason why I should feel confident with our current leadership. A past history of success?

Jarvis Landry?
Troy Hill?
And now Kareem Hunt.

In the meantime, we've locked up Garrett, Chubb and Ward.

You can't "handle" every player -- they aren't horses, they have free will. You're doing the same nitpicking that can be done by any fan of any team.

OBJ makes himself a "saga", it's what he's famous for.
Landry? He went home... and everyone on the planet knew he was never playing out the last year of his contract at that price.
Hill? How did the FO mess that one up?
Mayfield was done the second we jumped on the plane. While I have never condoned the entire process, there was no other choice (process-wise) and that situation was a two way street.
Hunt still plays here. We haven't done anything wrong.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 02:47 PM
Actually given the facts IMO

Landry, Baker, Odell, Hill and Hunt were all handled correctly.

Landry was an aging vet who needed to be replaced.

Baker was not good enough.

Odell aging, hurt player who wanted to leave.

Hill not worth any real consideration. Easy to replace and was replaced.

Hunt for all the reasons I listed in my last post.

So we disagree. That's ok. I don't mind that. At least we are talking football.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 02:54 PM
I don’t think any of those players bone just listed would really help us right now. Our only issue is QB. Brissett can be what Baker was last year.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 04:10 PM
I don’t think any of those players bone just listed would really help us right now. Our only issue is QB. Brissett can be what Baker was last year.

Yet an injured Baker had slightly better stats than a healthy Brissett last year. But you see, Baker is healthy now. So the real question would be is a healthy Brissett as good as a healthy Baker? Remember before you answer, a healthy Baker helped lead this team to the playoffs in 2020.

I don't think there's any way that people can compare Baker to watson. Watson is clearly a better QB when he's available to play. But some of this crazy BS of fans trying to convince themselves that a healthy Brissett can be compared to a healthy Baker is just as foolish as someone who would try to compare a healthy Baker to a healthy watson.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 04:16 PM
I hope Hunt gets paid. He deserves it. Dude could start for the majority of teams in the league, and he wants to get paid accordingly. Hope he can contribute to a successful season here before he goes.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 04:30 PM
The only one I disagree with is Landry. He could have helped us this year. With that said, I support this FO. I did. not like Dorsey getting fired, but Berry has done a very good job and I like that we have smart guys in charge.

Getting back to Hunt........I think the Browns have a big plans for Hunt this year. He's an excellent all-around back who is more versatile than any of other backs. I don't think he will be w/us long-term, but I believe the Browns want him to be a big part of the offense this year. I could be wrong and he might be traded, but I think I have a pretty good feel for what Berry and Stefanski want to do w/this offense.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Yet an injured Baker had slightly better stats than a healthy Brissett last year. But you see, Baker is healthy now. So the real question would be is a healthy Brissett as good as a healthy Baker? Remember before you answer, a healthy Baker helped lead this team to the playoffs in 2020.

I don't think there's any way that people can compare Baker to watson. Watson is clearly a better QB when he's available to play. But some of this crazy BS of fans trying to convince themselves that a healthy Brissett can be compared to a healthy Baker is just as foolish as someone who would try to compare a healthy Baker to a healthy watson.
I think you are correct - but as I mentioned somewhere else, Baker's injury for 15 games last year are becoming a myth and omitted in any current conversation about performance last year. What might be interesting is if he performs even remotely close to the second half of 2020 or the first couple games last year with a bad Panthers team, I wonder how the narrative will be twisted?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 06:21 PM
“He’s my best friend, on and off the field. He’s a great person to be around,” Chubb said during an appearance on NFL Network. “I couldn’t imagine playing without him. I want him to be here, whatever they got to do to keep him here. I want to play with Kareem.”
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 06:29 PM
Merely money and/or picks? I want to keep him here. Unless we get a sweet deal for him. I just also felt we didn't use him well when we went pass-happy at times. He had games where he was the highpoint if not the highlights reel. DW may get more out of him than BM managed to do.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 06:31 PM
“He’s my best friend, on and off the field. He’s a great person to be around,” Chubb said during an appearance on NFL Network. “I couldn’t imagine playing without him. I want him to be here, whatever they got to do to keep him here. I want to play with Kareem.”

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think you are correct - but as I mentioned somewhere else, Baker's injury for 15 games last year are becoming a myth and omitted in any current conversation about performance last year. What might be interesting is if he performs even remotely close to the second half of 2020 or the first couple games last year with a bad Panthers team, I wonder how the narrative will be twisted?

There's just a difference in opinion in how much the injury affected his play. Nobody is omitting it. If it's not brought up it's because it's not considered a big factor. And that's because it's being based on his whole body of work and a number of other factors.

My favorite Baker moment of last year...after spending an off season where he still had a large number of doubters across the NFL landscape...people that doubted how good he really was and whether he could put the team on his back...that he, after three and a half quarters of man handling the Chiefs, wet the.bed at the most critical point of the game...too unathletic to escape pressure, tripped up, panicked, and threw into tight coverage for an easy interception on the game winning drive. This is consistent with his poor QB rating in the 4th quarter over his career. He had a chance to rise to the occasion and quiet the doubters. Instead he proved them right.

I knew we were doomed after that game.

If Baker plays well this year, I will say so. There's a greater than 0 percent chance he turns it around and a change of scenery could be exactly what he needed. It wasn't happening in Cleveland. But my bet is he's a backup by next year.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 06:44 PM

I think this is a big deal quote and something the FO should give some weight to.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 06:51 PM
Don't forget Baker fumbled that punt snap inside our own 20 and also blew his coverage when Hill went on that 1 play, 75 yard TD drive.

Case Keenum stated that it is almost impossible to play with the injury Baker had...the mystery injury that it has now become.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 06:55 PM
Don't forget Baker fumbled that punt snap inside our own 20 and also blew his coverage when Hill went on that 1 play, 75 yard TD drive.

The type of stuff that happens every week in every game across the league. The teams that come out on top have great QB play to close out games. A large percentage of games in the NFL come down to the final minutes.

That is literally the difference between winners and losers in the NFL.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by FATE

Jarvis Landry?
Troy Hill?
And now Kareem Hunt.

You can't "handle" every player -- they aren't horses, they have free will.You're doing the same nitpicking that can be done by any fan of any team.

Landry? He went home... and everyone on the planet knew he was never playing out the last year of his contract at that price.
Mayfield was done the second we jumped on the plane. While I have never condoned the entire process, there was no other choice (process-wise) and that situation was a two way street.

My point isn’t about what’s the right or wrong decision but more about how our GM handle the communication process.

Taking hard decisions is the easy part, it’s how good you communicate your decision process and then sell it to all involved parties so it’s understandable enough for them to move on without internal or external conflicts . That’s what separate good and less great leaders.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 07:30 PM
Very little point rehashing the bad or good over the last 4 years. As I said - it'll be interesting to see how things play out. I will say that I watched a game of Herbert's last year and he was pretty poor - the plays he missed and passes that were off target, our guy would have been vilified for... hell he got crucified for playing about the same as the Herbert game I watched with a broken humerus, torn labarum and leg/ankle injuries. I don't think that's who Herbert is - but stuff happens. In addition to player ups and downs, calls are missed - even in the playoffs - and in our case they helped define a lot of people's opinion on our QB.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz

The type of stuff that happens every week in every game across the league. The teams that come out on top have great QB play to close out games. A large percentage of games in the NFL come down to the final minutes.

That is literally the difference between winners and losers in the NFL.
Which is why, in my opinion, our FO probably watched that KC/Buffalo playoff game last year and collectively thought: THERE’S NO WAY IN HELL WE WOULD WIN THIS GAME. Hence, the QB move for Watson.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 08:03 PM
I wanted Landry to stay but I understand why he left. It was time and they were not going to pay him.

Jarvis was a damn good player for the Browns. He was highly paid. He was also a descending talent.
I have nothing but praise for Berry.

The Browns roster is the best roster we have had since 1987. If DW plays second half the season and we can get into the playoffs. We could do major damage.

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 08:23 PM
Kareem Hunt is under contract play ball ...
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/09/22 10:42 PM
I think this is a big deal quote and something the FO should give some weight to.

I agree. Nicholas Jamaal Chubb is not known for speaking up/out. If he is this hype regarding his pal, that should carry some real weight.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by FATE

Jarvis Landry?
Troy Hill?
And now Kareem Hunt.

You can't "handle" every player -- they aren't horses, they have free will.You're doing the same nitpicking that can be done by any fan of any team.

My point isn’t about what’s the right or wrong decision but more about how our GM handle the communication process.

Taking hard decisions is the easy part, it’s how good you communicate your decision process and then sell it to all involved parties so it’s understandable enough for them to move on without internal or external conflicts . That’s what separate good and less great leaders.

I really disagree with that.

How is that considered “good” leadership?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 03:49 AM
Give you one reason why you should be confident with the current leadership?
good uestion.
As the WH press secretary might say. We'll circle back to that in a minute. rofl
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask

Ask yourself what’s the end goal of “good” leadership.

Stability vs. Less stability
Conflict’s vs. Less Conflict’s
Less drama vs. Too much drama
Harmony vs. Less harmony
Stringent communication vs. dishonest or bad communication

What’s in common for successful organizations/teams/clubs/companies/families/friendship?

I can go on but if you don’t understand the difference between a honest leadership built on stability and trust vs. a leadership that creates tensions, disappointments and media drama then we’re not on the same page. Most communication around DSW and BM is a text book page of bad leadership. Then you can add all the negative reactions how they handle Kareem Hunt. It’s not about right or wrong decisions, it’s about poor communication skills. People in general and media get tired. Some players get tired. A lot of supporters get tired. It’s out there for everybody to see.

Too much of everything.

I will not consume more of your time if we don’t talk the same “language” but if I use one word to describe GOOD LEADERSHIP it’s STABILTY. The opposite of what we see now.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 11:36 AM

Harmony vs. Less harmony

As far as the NFL goes, you forgot THE most important one:

Fielding a playoff caliber team vs. sucking. It's a business where, unless you're the owner, the window of opportunity is a small one. The roster is limited in size and tough decisions have to be made, and sometimes it's not prudent to share every detail in the decision making process. Then you have twisting and embellishment by the press and social media to add fuel to situations. Given our rabid fanbase, we're never going have a rainbows and unicorns for everyone environment.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 11:41 AM
I think most of us understand you don't like our FO. We got it. Now, about Kareem Hunt.....
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 11:51 AM
Just a question.

How are you aware of how "communication" has taken place within the Browns.

"Negative reactions on how they handled Hunt." Hunt went public with a trade request. He is under a contract.

And Berry is at fault? I don't fault Hunt for asking but how is there a failure on Berry's part? Because he said no.

What communication around DW and Baker? Do you know what was said by whom?

From everything I have read about Berry the players like and respect him.

The Browns made a decision about Baker that every organization makes about their players. If we can find an upgrade that we feel will improve the team. We will we persue that player.

Rams did that with Goff. 49er's did that with Garoppolo.

The Browns went after Wilson. It did not work out. They went after DW. They got him. The contract was part of the reason. The contract was written like most contracts where the first year was made low for cap reasons. The guarantee is what other pro sports do.

You agree to pay the guy and you insure he gets his money. If you were a player is that not what you would want? I should make x for this many years. You (the team) have to agree guarantee to pay me. What a concept. The NFL doesn't like that. Well to bad NFL. How do they get paid in their dealings?

Is Goodell's money guaranteed? Oh a player wants his money that is different.

"The other owners don't like it." That is because they have to put the money in escrow. Gee the owners want to use that money while they pay monthly terms. Ok how about you pay interest then? Well the owners don't want that.

"What we have here is one way communication."
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 01:45 PM
[color:#FFCC33]Just a question.

The Browns made a decision about Baker that every organization makes about their players. If we can find an upgrade that we feel will improve the team. We will we persue that player.

/color]

I guess I tend to forget that both those players "took" teams the Superbowl. I don't seem to be hearing the anger aimed at the Rams and 49ers for trading Goff and putting Garoppolo on the market. After all, these QBs took their teams to the SB, not just one playoff win. Both of those guys have higher career QB ratings than Baker. What were the Rams and 49ers thinking?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 02:03 PM
Precisely.

GM's make decisions on rosters after it is determined where can they improve.

Drafting is one part of the job with it's own risks and unknowns.

Player contracts and cap management is another component of GM's job.

Not all negotiations with players and their agents are going to be harmonious.

IMO Andrew Berry has done an exceptional job.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 02:45 PM
Just a question.

"Negative reactions on how they handled Hunt." Hunt went public with a trade request. He is under a contract.

And Berry is at fault? I don't fault Hunt for asking but how is there a failure on Berry's part? Because he said no.

The Browns went after Wilson. It did not work out. They went after DW. They got him. The contract was part of the reason. The contract was written like most contracts where the first year was made low for cap reasons. The guarantee is what other pro sports do.

You agree to pay the guy and you insure he gets his money. If you were a player is that not what you would want? I should make x for this many years. You (the team) have to agree guarantee to pay me. What a concept. The NFL doesn't like that. Well to bad NFL. How do they get paid in their dealings?

"The other owners don't like it." That is because they have to put the money in escrow. Gee the owners want to use that money while they pay monthly terms. Ok how about you pay interest then? Well the owners don't want that.

If everything is so well handled why don’t this good leadership translates to less drama and more success?

Why do many respectable TV hosts and media pundits call our organization dysfunctional?
Why do “problems” related to the Browns often dominate off season discussions instead of us being the interesting talking point during game weeks?
Where does the word Cleveland Clowns comes from?
In our latest major press conference that included both our GM and HC it was called a funeral by Rich Eisen? Why is that?
Why’s Pat McAfee pessimistic about our chances this season and says there’s to much drama in this organization?
Our beloved Colin Cowherd says all the other owners dislike our owners? Why’s that? Not to mention all other things he says. Why us and the sad part is that he’s often right. That irritates me the most and sometimes I want to “punch” his ugly face because I hate when he says he’s right. Poof. .
Why do Roger Godell wants to hit the “hammer” on us/DSW?

If we always believe that it’s somebody else’s fault and we as a organization and supporters isn’t willing to look ourself in the mirror then nothing will change.

And for the record. I really wanted to embrace Andrew Berry to my heart. Young, ambitious, intelligent and well spoken. Not to mention his color of skin, it was exactly what this organization and the NFL needed on that position. That’s why I’m extra disappointed. Things can change but right now it’s lots of room for improvement.

Regarding Stefanski I simply don’t rate him as a elite HC. Nothing else.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 03:35 PM
If you click on the link below and scroll down until you get to

Advanced NFL Stats
How do Kareem Hunt's 2021 advanced stats compare to other running backs?

you will see a bar graph w/green and blue lines. The longer the bar, the better it is for the player. I think you'll see that Hunt is a damn good back.

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/kareem-hunt-11739
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
If you click on the link below and scroll down until you get to

Advanced NFL Stats
How do Kareem Hunt's 2021 advanced stats compare to other running backs?

you will see a bar graph w/green and blue lines. The longer the bar, the better it is for the player. I think you'll see that Hunt is a damn good back.

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/kareem-hunt-11739

I've never seen anyone claim that Hunt is not a damn good back. I think the only question is whether we should move him for a pick or player. If they could get a needed-player or a 3rd/4th pick next year, I think they should move him. If all they can get is a 5th, I'd keep him.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 04:13 PM
How far are you going back?

I am talking about Berry.

Read what I wrote about the DW contract.

Berry is highly respected all over the NFL.

The owners have a strings attached to God-ell's mouth. They don't like us because of the DW contract. Bitter grapes.

Talking heads of media are click driven. Cowerd, McAffee I really and truly could care less.

If your view is all negative there are options.

I would take Berry over any GM. I am really glad he with the Browns.

DW and his punishment will go the way God-ell wants. So, be it. I accept whatever is handed out.

Whatever, happens this year I will be watching. I don't expect to win a SB. OK. So, I watched 1-31. I can live with the results of this season.
I believe the roster we have is as good as any team in football. That is because of Berry.

I will be behind the team next year when DW plays. He is a guy on the team with a number on his back. What he does off the field will determine how I view him as a person. He will have to earn thru action any respect.

That will have no bearing on the field.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 04:14 PM
Hunt did pick some curious timing, for sure... and I think the mellow nature of the hold-in and how short it ended up being kinda bears that out.

He's coming off an injury-plagued season. Dang near all of our RBs are NFL-starter caliber. His trade value is also low because a team that trades for him would also have to sign him to a massive contract right after this year. Teams don't necessarily throw picks around for what could be a 1-year rental.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 04:58 PM
How far are you going back?

I am talking about Berry.

Read what I wrote about the DW contract.

Berry is highly respected all over the NFL.

The owners have a strings attached to God-ell's mouth. They don't like us because of the DW contract. Bitter grapes.

Talking heads of media are click driven. Cowerd, McAffee I really and truly could care less.

If your view is all negative there are options.

I would take Berry over any GM. I am really glad he with the Browns.

DW and his punishment will go the way God-ell wants. So, be it. I accept whatever is handed out.

Whatever, happens this year I will be watching. I don't expect to win a SB. OK. So, I watched 1-31. I can live with the results of this season.
I believe the roster we have is as good as any team in football. That is because of Berry.

[color:#66FF99]I will be behind the team next year
when DW plays. He is a guy on the team with a number on his back. What he does off the field will determine how I view him as a person. He will have to earn thru action any respect.

That will have no bearing on the field.[/color]

Kareem Hunt has been a bright little star and a likable character since he got his second chance. Smiling. Laughing. He’s making people around him more happy. Simply a very positive team mate as far as I can see.

A smart HC and GM sees that and value Kareem’s other contributions outside his stats when taking a decision about his and the organizations future.

Nick Chubb openly expressed his thoughts about the subject. Players that likes each other creates a good harmony inside the locker room and that matters on game days.

With that said.

The Browns took a chance when giving Hunt a second deal, that’s admirable. But the player also took his chance and mostly delivered above expectations. That’s also worth something. If the Browns FO don’t think he’s worth the money then at least trade him so the guy can get his fair share of money. Do the right thing and don’t be so egotistical. If other players see that Berry take care of his “own” guys the will take notice and suddenly the Cleveland Browns is place that is known for taking care of loyal and hard working players. That sort of value can’t be bought or traded, it’s something you build with time.

Am I wrong?

When things matters most stats is only a small part of the result, those who’re willing to die for the team and their team mates is often the unsung heroes in those situations.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 05:02 PM
Browns are under no obligation (official or otherwise) to give Hunt away in a trade. I feel for Hunt, but he's going to cash in this coming off-season. He'll be fine.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Browns are under no obligation (official or otherwise) to give Hunt away in a trade. I feel for Hunt, but he's going to cash in this coming off-season. He'll be fine.

(If he doesn’t get hurt.)
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 05:37 PM

(If he doesn’t get hurt.)

That is always the concern, and our luck, here.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 05:57 PM

This is exactly what I mean. I’m sorry to say this but creating a player friendly environment is the opposite of what you’re suggesting. You need to build the foundation first then you can reap the benefits.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 06:20 PM

This is exactly what I mean. I’m sorry to say this but creating a player friendly environment is the opposite of what you’re suggesting. You need to build the foundation first then you can reap the benefits.

Paying players when you don’t need to is unwise. Everyone involved understands what is going to happen. It’s business as usual. You are looking for a controversy where there is not one.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 06:58 PM
This is not pre-school. It is professional football.

Hunt is no different than any player. Do you think that GM's and HC's like cutting vets when they get beat out in training camp?

Hunt went public is he the only player who has done that? Aaron Rodgers and a ton of others. Roquan Smith today. Debo Samuel not long ago.

He is under a contract to play through this year. He signed the contract.

Sure he is swell guy and buddy of Chubb. I am sure he is well liked. The NFL is a business his situation happens to tons of guys every year.

Look you are probably a super nice guy. But somehow at least it appears that you look at football like it is Happy Camp Day.

Every player knows the score. Everyone of them. I have know professional football players. Guys who played in the NFL and worked for me. I talked to them in depth about life in the game.

When Hunt leaves Chubb will be sad. He will also fulfill his contract. And the day will come when he is cut, traded, or leaves as a free agent.

When the game begins players play ball. So much of football and all the rah rah is the fans not the players. They will leave and go get the best deal they can. When your knees are toast. Adios pal. Thanks for the memories. Every year teams churn a third of the roster. Players leave that coaches, GM's, love personally. That is the way of the game when 30 is old.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 07:07 PM

Paying players when you don’t need to is unwise. Everyone involved understands what is going to happen. It’s business as usual. You are looking for a controversy where there is not one.

Exactly.

Playing games instead of building on trust, sending out the right message and keeping good relations. When everything is “business as usual” drama and conflicts will be your secret companion that’s pop up every now and then.

Seems like a winning concept.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 07:10 PM
I think Hunt did this FO a huge favor. They know well in advance of this season what Hunt will be looking for after the season ends. He won't be settling for back up money. This helps the Browns to prepare for what's coming. He's back to full participation and the Browns know well ahead of time the situation they will be facing this coming off season.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 07:36 PM
People were questioning why did we draft Ford?

Because they were preparing to replace Hunt next year.

Just like Harris was drafted and developed to replace Tretter.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 08:09 PM
Problem being you can never predict how the #156 draft pick will pan out. The odds of that happening are horrible. Not impossible but yet horrible. At that point in the draft it's simply a developmental pick you hope will plan out. Not a plan to replace someone of Hunt's caliber the following season. If anything I would say it makes this FO understand that if they aren't to planning to pay Hunt which I don't think they are at season's end, they need to be reaching out to work a longer term contract with D'Ernest Johnson. But at least now they know.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 08:14 PM

Exactly.

Playing games instead of building on trust, sending out the right message and keeping good relations. When everything is “business as usual” drama and conflicts will be your secret companion that’s pop up every now and then.

Seems like a winning concept.

Not one team would give Hunt an extension given our current situation.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask

Harmony vs. Less harmony

What’s in common for successful organizations/teams/clubs/companies/families/friendship?

I can go on but if you don’t understand the difference between a honest leadership built on stability and trust vs. a leadership that creates tensions, disappointments and media drama then we’re not on the same page. Most communication around DSW and BM is a text book page of bad leadership. Then you can add all the negative reactions how they handle Kareem Hunt. It’s not about right or wrong decisions, it’s about poor communication skills. People in general and media get tired. Some players get tired. A lot of supporters get tired. It’s out there for everybody to see.

Too much of everything.

I will not consume more of your time if we don’t talk the same “language” but if I use one word to describe GOOD LEADERSHIP it’s STABILTY. The opposite of what we see now.

I am aware this probably will be meaningless, so I'm not going to type the long response that I want.

Let's just say, stability is not what describes good leadership. It's a piece of the pie that results from good/great leadership.

Good/great leadership's bottom line goal is accomplishing the vision of the leader.

Tough decisions AREN'T easy if you are a good leader. But leaders have to make those decisions. All the while knowing there will be always be noise outside the organization no matter if your decision is right or wrong.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/10/22 10:24 PM
Just a question.

If everything is so well handled why don’t this good leadership translates to less drama and more success?

Why do many respectable TV hosts and media pundits call our organization dysfunctional?
Why do “problems” related to the Browns often dominate off season discussions instead of us being the interesting talking point during game weeks?
In our latest major press conference that included both our GM and HC it was called a funeral by Rich Eisen? Why is that?
Why’s Pat McAfee pessimistic about our chances this season and says there’s to much drama in this organization?
Our beloved Colin Cowherd says all the other owners dislike our owners? Why’s that? Not to mention all other things he says. Why us and the sad part is that he’s often right. That irritates me the most and sometimes I want to “punch” his ugly face because I hate when he says he’s right. Poof. .

If we always believe that it’s somebody else’s fault and we as a organization and supporters isn’t willing to look ourself in the mirror then nothing will change.

And for the record. I really wanted to embrace Andrew Berry to my heart. Young, ambitious, intelligent and well spoken. Not to mention his color of skin, it was exactly what this organization and the NFL needed on that position. That’s why I’m extra disappointed. Things can change but right now it’s lots of room for improvement.

This has NOTHING to do with leadership. Every question you just proposed has to do with outside entities making assumptions/opinions about a business they aren't a part of. They are here to cater to your emotions and grab your attention, b/c they know you are attached to that team.

Think of our previous regimes. A good portion of our previous regimes, there was always some REAL issues. What I mean by that is, Sashi/Dorsey/Hue issues. Ray Farmer calling the sidelines during games, Lombardi and whoever he was fighting with. Kokinis and whoever the Man person was. That right there is a good portion of our previous regimes since 1999.

Now name who is fighting within our FO / coaching staff. Is there anyone? Am I wrong? This is showing a piece of good leadership.

I honestly could go on and on with this group and the leadership they have shown. The media can talk all they want, that's their job. Heck, a few years ago they were talking about the issues between Bill B and Tom Brady when they were together. They were at the top of their game....and the media still had plenty of negative segments about them.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/11/22 01:02 AM
Hunt might not have all the so called power plays, as some have said. Blocking and having the ability to help with the pass game is big !

Chubb Hunt

Chubb Johnson

Chubb Ford

Johnson Ford

Mack Byner

Dang !!
Posted By: bugs Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/11/22 05:07 AM

It's simple. Win. If you are winning games, you are respected. If not, you are a whipping post. It's just that simple.

Right now, Cleveland is an easy target with a fanbase that responds. We are our own worst enemy and a product of a "proud fanbase". Because we show such loyalty and defend our team to a fault, we become the "click bait" that drawls attention. But, wait until we win again, oh, I can't wait until the day, we become the obnoxious fans and let every other team's fans know we are the BROWNS!!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/11/22 08:20 AM
I think Hunt did this FO a huge favor. They know well in advance of this season what Hunt will be looking for after the season ends. He won't be settling for back up money. This helps the Browns to prepare for what's coming. He's back to full participation and the Browns know well ahead of time the situation they will be facing this coming off season.

I agree. If the Browns want to keep him, they can float him an offer that works for the team. If it isn't good enough then it is time to cut bait, get what we can get in trade and move on.

I like Hunt but have long felt that he was the guy we might need to move. I think the team is very comfortable with the backs we have in house. Maybe unlike some other positions(receiver) I think the Browns are good at scouting the running back position.
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/11/22 10:52 PM
J/C Does anyone else here see a Hunt for Jimmy G trade coming? I am not in love with it, but it would make some sense considering Roger seems hell bent on making sure Watson is not anywhere near a field this year. It wouldnt be a bad fit for Kareem as Shanahans system is very similar to ours which means it would be decent fit for Jimmy G. I was OK with the 6 game exodus and it seemed about right, anything beyond 8 games and we will have to make a move and this one seems pretty damn good for August.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/11/22 11:13 PM
IMO the Browns want Hunt to play this season with them.

They know the strength that Hunt and Chubb together bring. With all the questions at quarterback they need that strength.

However, the hinge is the suspension.

It is for sure a consideration.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Kareem Hunt - 08/11/22 11:29 PM
IMO the Browns want Hunt to play this season with them.

They know the strength that Hunt and Chubb together bring. With all the questions at quarterback they need that strength.

Agreed.

Add to that the questions at WR. Hunt is going to be a valuable receiver for us out of the backfield.

He'll be gone after this season (unfortunately). It would be foolish (imo) to trade a sure weapon for a possible short term replacement at QB. It's one season we're looking at.

We need all the help we can get.

D'Ernest is good, but a full time #2 with Hunt's hands for 17 games? I'm not sure. Ford? Maybe 2023.
© DawgTalkers.net