DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: THROW LONG Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/06/23 10:18 PM
The AFC has a plethora of above average signal callers this year.
here is one list.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-afc-best-worst/vwz2yypmhdircdi5n2l7rgpq

That is from the sporting news, the top 3 are understandable, but I took about five minutes before scrolling down to wonder who they would put number 4 in the afc as a top @uarterback. or team by @uarterback.

Sure, we can rank the best team by @uarterback alone, but then, I think, one should consider the @uarterback with head coach combination,
and then also the @uarterback +head coach, with the top running back factored in,
THEN,
how about the @uaterback +head coach, +top running back with the #I top WR factored in,
THEN, teams ranked by,
their whole group of WR's only, without the @uarterback or anything else factored in, and then
FINALLY
The teams by @uarterback+total offense, +the best defense, ..+the organizational head out of the sand/ have their act together.
Anyway here is
The AFC @uarterback ranking by the sporting news, as recently as this week May 4+ 2023

I. Patrick Mahommes, KC
2. Joe Burrow, Cinncinnati
3. Josh Allen, Buffalo
4. Aaron Rodgers, NY Jets

5. Justin Herbert, Chargers
6, Lamar Jackson, Baltimore
7, Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville
8, Tua Tagavailoa, Miami

9. Deshaun Watson, Browns
I0. Jimmy Garoppolo, Raiders
II. Russell Wilson, Broncos
I2. Ryan Tannehill, Titans

I3. C.J. Stroud, Houston
I4. Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh
I5. Mac Jones, New England
I6. Anthony Richardson, Indianapolis
Only SEVEN teams make the playoffs.
Here is what they had to say about Watson.

9. Deshaun Watson, Browns
If you were compiling this list after the 2020 NFL season, Watson would be a top-five look. Currently, he's more the conference's average quarterback, but he has a lot of upside.

Watson played in six games for the Browns last year after a lay-off of nearly two seasons while dealing with a contract dispute with the Texans and legal issues stemming from 23 civil lawsuits alleging sexual assault and misconduct against him. He posted a 3-3 record in those contests while completing 58.2 percent of his passes for 1,102 yards, seven touchdowns and five interceptions.

On the surface, those numbers from Watson aren't very good. That said, he improved as the season went on, demonstrating that he was likely just shaking off the rust as he returned to action for the first time since 2020. And during that season, he led the NFL in passing yards with 4,823 while completing 70.2 percent of his passes for 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Watson has a solid arm and is a natural thrower of the ball who, like Tagovailoa, has great ball placement and rarely misses his targets. Thus, he has a similar ceiling to the Dolphins starter and could remind people of his ceiling if he can stay on the field in what will be his age-28 season.

Watson also is creative on the move and has made numerous plays over the years that have made NFL fans say, "How did he do that!?" Case and point, this insane play from his Texans days against the Raiders.

Here are the NFC Rankings:

NFL quarterback power rankings: The NFC's 16 best and worst QBs remaining after Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers
Author Photo
Vinnie Iyer
05/04/2023

8 min read

Go back in time to the Year 2020. Tom Brady just became the Buccaneers starting quarterback. Aaron Rodgers was about to start his fourth MVP campaign with the Packers. Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz and Jimmy Garoppolo were also among the trusted NFC QBs.

What a difference three offseasons make. Now all those QBs are gone from the conference, either retiring, being traded or signing elsewhere. That's rebooted the pecking order of NFC quarterbacks, to the point the East is best and the South is worst, with the North and West in between.

From all four divisions, here's how all 16 projected 2023 starting quarterbacks stack up against each other going into minicamp and training camp:

NFL POWER RANKINGS: Steelers, Seahawks rise while Patriots, Raiders drop after 2023 draft; Ravens recover with Lamar Jackson

NFL quarterback rankings: Best and worst in NFC
1. Jalen Hurts, Eagles

Hurts is coming off an MVP-caliber Super Bowl-bound season that made him the highest-paid QB in the conference. He's become the new ultimate dual-threat weapon with his power running and deep passing. His supporting cast of blockers and targets remains strong, too.

2. Dak Prescott, Cowboys

Although Prescott spiked as a prolific passer under Kellen Moore, the combination of Moore and offensive-minded coach Mike McCarthy didn't mesh for the best QB results. Now the Cowboys are throwing it back to more of a classic run-oriented West Coast attack with Brian Schottenheimer, with some parallels to the Jason Garrett era.

Prescott hit an efficiency and downfield passing low last season but should rebound nicely back in a less confusing and more inspiring comfort zone.

3. Justin Fields, Bears

Fields was unleashed as a dynamic runner and became a dominant force in that capacity out of necessity, as Chicago was limited on passing pop and protection. That's changed for Year 3, with a clear No. 1 wide receiver, D.J. Moore and new top rookie offensive tackle, Darnell Wright. The power running game and the tight end situations are deeper to help Fields, too.

The Bears' offense should hit another gear and with a little complementary help from the rebuilding defense, Fields has a shot to lead them to the playoffs, a la Hurts in 2021.

Justin Fields
(Getty Images)
4. Geno Smith, Seahawks

Smith wasn't a fluke late bloomer at 32 with an exceptional passing season that earned him his first Pro Bowl nod and NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors. He's a terrific system under Shane Waldron and now has more blocking and receiving help on the inside to help him deliver up to his new worthy contract. Smith is getting the ball quickly, spreading it well and using his legs when needed, also playing off a strong running game.

5. Kirk Cousins, Vikings

Cousins still throws a pretty deep ball and before a slide in 2022, he had put together the three most efficient seasons of his career with high yards per attempt. He forced the ball a little too much into coverage last season and it didn't help, despite some decent protection, he took a career-high 46 sacks as part of the pressure that was on him. He did also lead a ridiculous successful eight fourth-quarter comebacks and game-winning drives.

MORE 2023 NFL DRAFT:
Full results | Team-by-team grades | Biggest steals

6. Daniel Jones, Giants

The Giants had to be pleased how Jones finally responded as a dynamic all-around starter under the strong offensive influence of coach Brian Daboll and coordinator Mike Kafka, giving him some of the young guiding principles that helped Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes.

Jones still can grow, as a downfield passer given he has the arm for it, but he got much better with his accuracy and efficiency while unleashing his athleticism playing off a reliable running game. An upgraded wide receiver corps will help after he got paid.

7. Derek Carr, Saints

Carr comes over from middle of the pack in the loaded AFC QB landscape to slightly above that in his new conference for his new team under old Raiders coach Dennis Allen. There will be some offensive adjustment but the scheme is tailored to his calculated downfield passing and short-to-intermediate decision-making strengths. With Brady gone, there's no doubt Carr gives New Orleans a big quarterback edge in the wholesale-changing NFC South.

8. Matthew Stafford, Rams

Stafford's age (35) and durability are real concerns in terms of how much longer he can be effective to his liking as a big-armed pocked passer. Stafford decided to return for another season to keep working with Sean McVay while he can in an attempt to get right, but the reality he's one of the key veterans there to mostly ease a rebuilding transition.

Matthew-Stafford-021422-GETTY-FTR
(Getty Images)
9. Jared Goff, Lions

Goff revved up in Year 2 in Detroit, showing the arm, decision-making and efficiency that defined his early breakout years with the Rams. He has thrived in Ben Johnson's offense supported by a terrific line and diverse weaponry.

Goff remains one of the league's most dependent passers, but the Lions have been smart to play to this strengths and providing him with a high-floor rushing attack. He just needs to get more consistent to play as well outside of Ford Field..

10. Jordan Love, Packers

Love takes over from Rodgers and inherits a good system under Matt LaFleur with the running game and depth of young weapons being his biggest assets toward success. Love has had ample time to absorb what he needs to succeed, and his arm and athletic traits will help him overcome some lumps tied to his general starting inexperience.

11. Bryce Young, Panthers

Young ascends to the No. 2 QB in the NFC South as the No. 1 overall-drafted rookie. He has a high immediate floor because of big-play flair as a passer and receiver plus leadership skills and intangibles well beyond his years. He will work hard to start well right away and his massive college game experiences will make the NFL game smaller for him sooner rather than later.

Getty
12. Kyler Murray, Cardinals

Murray is coming off a major knee injury and it's uncertain how much of the early season he will need to miss, if any. If he can't be as effective as a runner while learning a new passing scheme minus Kliff Kingsbury, the big contract may push him into a big bust.

This is a make-or-break year for Murray to restore efficient play and reestablish his leadership when healthy given Arizona holds high draft capital in 2024 with which it can go after Caleb Williams.

13. Trey Lance, 49ers

Would Lance start if healthy and Brock Purdy isn't? Or would the 49ers would still trust newcomer Sam Darnold in their offense over him? And is Lance still on the trading block? San Francisco has been a bit all over the place at QB given Kyle Shanahan's comments, but there's some truth it's a public motivational ploy to push Lance toward his high ceiling.

Lance can make sure they don't go for the high floor of Purdy or even lower one of Darnold but turning the corner with his offseason work post-ankle injury.

MORE: 15 worst value picks from the 2023 NFL Draft

14. Baker Mayfield, Buccaneers

Mayfield is in the right spot to get on track with some offensive line and receiving assets, now in a run-heavier offense under new coordinator Dave Canales. Canales is fresh off helping to resurrect Smith's career with the Seahawks with some similar scheming

15. Desmond Ridder, Falcons

The Falcons are confident in Ridder as a second-year third-rounder to start full-time, with Taylor Heinicke serving as the veteran backup. Ridder is a good fit in their style of run-heavy offense with his mobile pocket passing. He should also be reliable with short-to-intermediate throwing and shown more willingness to run.

16. Sam Howell, Commanders

Howell also is getting his shot full-time in Year 2 as a fifth-rounder from '22. They have a strong veteran option behind him in Jacoby Brissett, so Howell has a limited window to prove that he has the arm and athleticism to produce results in the new Eric Bieniemy Chiefs-like offense. There's a wide QB gap from Washington and the rest of the NFC East.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-nfc-best-worst/hxateuapajpgfdnkhak8vhif

I expect Jacoby to win the job against Howell and he will move up in the ranks.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/06/23 10:49 PM
Ranking does not IMO mean much.

It does not matter the order. Looking at 2,3,4, how much better is number 2 over number 3 and so forth?

IMO I would rank DW 5 or 6.

But again I don't think it means much.

What really counts is if your qb is good enough to win a SB if the team is good enough?

Mahomes and Rodgers IMO are step above the rest. The others through DW are damn close.

Tua and Lawrence are not equal to the others. Lawrence is getting better and may rise.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/06/23 11:53 PM
The titans, have mostly moved on from Tannehill already, which would put Trevor Lawrence in an unusual position of facing a rookie @uarterback in all 6 of his divisional games, how lucky for him.
Not like the AFC north.
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Here are the NFC Rankings:

[

11. Bryce Young, Panthers

Young ascends to the No. 2 QB in the NFC South as the No. 1 overall-drafted rookie. He has a high immediate floor because of big-play flair as a passer and receiver plus leadership skills and intangibles well beyond his years. He will work hard to start well right away and his massive college game experiences will make the NFL game smaller for him sooner rather than later.

Does it really say Bryce Young has big play flair as a receiver?
LOL..........nice catch. Pun intended.
I actually was going to start a thread about ranking the QBs across the league. I started one of those threads last year, but there have been some changes at the top. I think it would be in poor taste for me to start that thread considering this one is similar in nature. So, I will put my rankings here. For now, I will just start at the top.

Last year, I had a group of elite qbs at the top that I did not rank in order. I believe they were Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Stafford, Rodgers, Brady, and Watson. I think I had Lamar and Carr just outside of that group along w/some other dudes like Dak and R. Wilson.

Things changed last year and I think I can put them in order......at least at the top.

1. Mahomes: He reclaimed the top spot by doing more w/less. Dude is a magician and has the ability and work ethic to adapt his game to fit new circumstances.

2. Burrow: Great competitor and leader. Very good in the clutch. Great accuracy.

3. Allen: Has to do too much in Buffalo's offense and his mistakes increased. Greatest talent in the game and he plays it the right way. I'm afraid that line and coaching staff are going to shorten his career.

4. Rodgers: Dude is the ultimate diva, but he still has it. Always has a great TD/Int ratio. Seems like he is all-in w/the Jets this year.

5. Herbert: I almost put him 4th. Big, strong, accurate, gun. Way more mobile than given credit for. Has uncanny ability to avoid sacks w/subtle moves in the pocket. Plays for the worst HC in the league and that is hurting his career.

6. Hurts: Had a great year in Philly. Tough guy. Exceptional leader. Very poised and mature. Continually improves his game. No one predicted he would end up being this good. I admire guys like him.

7. Lamar: Injuries are a concern. However, this guy does so much for that team. They are contenders w/him and not so good w/out him. Dynamic playmaker who is underrated as a passer. Still not an elite reader of coverages. That holds him back.

That's it. My top seven who are above the rest. Others are not worthy of being in the top 10 yet. However, there are a few lurkers who could break into the elite group.

Watson: He was terrible last year. However, he was a top 5-7 qb in Houston. He seems like he is dedicated to being the best he can be.

Lawrence: Great physical skill and a good head on his shoulder. Makes questionable reads at times.

Tua: Was great when on the field last year. The concussions are scary. It seems like one more hit could end his career.

The crazy thing is that 9 out of my top 10 guys all play in the AFC. I'm fairly certain that most lists that are comprised by people who do this for a living have lists that are very similar to mine.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/07/23 01:54 PM
Daniels in Miami has helped Tua be as good as he can be.

Daniels has a good offensive mind. He created an offense to fit Tua. Tua however is a limited passer. There are throws he struggles with.

I do not see him as a top quarterback. I also believe his career is near over from concussions. In fact I think he should retire.

Herbert looks good to me. He does everything well. Lamar is a stand alone guy. His total package is very good although he is not a great passer.

IMO DW will be the same guy he was or better. He is very talented.

Lawrence is on the rise. He still has more to prove though.

Allen has to learn to protect himself. I think he knows it.

Burrow is all around good. Makes good decisions and is very accurate. More mobile than not. Great leader.

Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/07/23 02:40 PM
This list of groups of top wrs is interesting because it's only one day old.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10074953-nfls-top-wr-groups-after-2023-nfl-draft

I find it interesting that the mention the teams with 2 I000 yard wrs. and how all of those teams made the playoffs.
Every @uarterback is going to exist in the environment of their coaching and pass catchers which will influence that @uarterbacks success.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/07/23 03:16 PM
Looking at those names there's quite an upgrade in talent over the last 5-10 years. Just not long ago, it seemed you had for elite talent Brady, Rogers and Manning....then a dropoff to Roethlisberger. And that was it.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/07/23 05:50 PM
I find myself thinking about how well any QB could perform with the sad-sack pass-catchers the Browns have fielded pretty-much STR.

I think there are (2) QBs who could turn our chicken poop to chicken salad (or be better than average) and that's Mahommes and Rogers.

Then there are a slew of guys in the next tier - but that tier is far, far from those (2) ^ guys. Burrow has the best WRs in the league - again. 0-5 yard throws become huge gains and TDs and not because the throw was anything special...Allen is still ridiculously inaccurate and he has studs to throw to and has played for (1) coach his entire career...Lamar STILL can't throw the ball like an NFL QB...Tua and Hurts have studs all around and are still average-at-best NFL passers...I can't get a pulse on Herbert, he has had the weapons around him but in a weird organization...the best thing that happened to Lawrence was Doug Peterson - jury is still out on him. Purdy just might fit in here if last year wasn't a fluke.

Then you get guys like Jimmy G (who simply wins a lot of game)...R Wilson (who used to simply win a lot of games)...Dak (who can't win the most-important games)...Purdy (who won a lot of games last year)...Cousins (who wins enough game that he should probably be listed in the previous paragraph)....Daniel Jones (even he doesn't know if he's really good)...maybe Stafford if he's not toast.

Then pretty-much everyone else.

Watson isn't up there with Mahommes and Rogers. He is certainly in the next tier...but he doesn't raise the 2nd tier to within sniffing-distance of tier 1. I am concerned that he won't get back his form from (2) seasons ago. I've always stated my opinion that he is too willing to pull it down and run. Last year's sample size means absolutely nothing IMO. He will have the best weapons STR and probably the best OL roster STR.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/07/23 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I find myself thinking about how well any QB could perform with the sad-sack pass-catchers the Browns have fielded pretty-much STR.

I think there are (2) QBs who could turn our chicken poop to chicken salad (or be better than average) and that's Mahommes and Rogers.

They did pretty well when Brissett was the QB. The Browns were running a top 10 offense then.

I'm certainly not trying to make a prediction moving forward on what watson will do one way or the other. But some of the crazy things people state just don't hold water.
There are several QBs who can put their teams on their back and make bad play calls look good and good defensive calls look bad. The Browns had an excellent WR corp when they had OBJ and Juice. Their QB made them look far worse than they were and the proof is that both performed better w/other qbs. OBJ just got $18 million w/a $15 base after having two major knee injuries. Teams don't pay slouches that kind of money.

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Rodgers, Herbert, Watson [when in Houston], Lamar can all carry teams. Stafford [when healthy] is another guy who can raise the play of others. Philly has great talent so it is hard to say about Hurts, but I think they went 0 and 2 when he was out.

What you can't have is a guy like Baker who needs everything to be perfect around him and then it still isn't good enough.
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
There are several QBs who can put their teams on their back and make bad play calls look good and good defensive calls look bad. The Browns had an excellent WR corp when they had OBJ and Juice. Their QB made them look far worse than they were and the proof is that both performed better w/other qbs. OBJ just got $18 million w/a $15 base after having two major knee injuries. Teams don't pay slouches that kind of money.

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Rodgers, Herbert, Watson [when in Houston], Lamar can all carry teams. Stafford [when healthy] is another guy who can raise the play of others. Philly has great talent so it is hard to say about Hurts, but I think they went 0 and 2 when he was out.

What you can't have is a guy like Baker who needs everything to be perfect around him and then it still isn't good enough.
There are QBs who can simply will their way out bad situations
On any given play. To me a overlooked quality of a QB is
Can he galvanize a whole roster and get them to do
Whatever it takes to win. Will those other 52 guys go through
A wall for him?
It is really easy to look at black and white stats and draw
A conclusion on a QB. But I think the effectiveness of a QB
Goes deeper than that. Does he set a precedent for the rest
Of the team. Etc etc.

This is Faker Hayfields last chance to prove to the league
He was worthy of being a number 1 overall draft pick.
He has been a serious bust up to this point.
He shined at Oklahoma cause of the surrounding cast.
Any QB could have put up points in that offense.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/07/23 11:26 PM
Most years it should be easier to find a team to be an obvious number sixteen on the list
a team with the obvious worst @uarterback situation, but, in 2023, it could be more than a few,
it could be, from the list, the
Colts / Patriots / steelers / or Houston /
but
it could even be the titans, broncos, or even the Dolphins.

Tua could be mega injured and not avail.
the broncos, R. Wilson appears to have lost his mojo in the pocket in decision making and that was his whole game,
and the titans could just keep choosing the wrong guy to suit up and end up in a world of uncertainty.

the Colts and Texans, it's cloudy to assume they will or won't get good, or even bad play from their new rookies
The patriots and steelers caller may have a ceiling, but that is not at sixteenth ranked in the afc,
and Pickett could improve, and Cam is a wild card with bellichic,

Does anyone think there is a clear sixteenth ranked @uarterback situation in the afc, if so, I'm all ears.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/07/23 11:36 PM
I do believe in the power that a quarterback can have.

However, a football team has a 53 player roster.

Quarterbacks are also very dependant upon others for their success. You need a OL. I have seen the greats humbled with poor protection.

You need receivers. QB's can elevate play of others. But again you need talent to get open and to catch the ball.

Quarterback is the premier position. But it still takes a team to win it all.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/07/23 11:49 PM
One Mahommes KC
two Burrow Cinncinnati, 4 years same situation playoff wins, continuity of coach and receivers.
three, Allen Buffalo, the same.

based on continuity , Rogers cannot be #4, because he moved to a new place, so, only the raven, Jaguar, maybe the charger situation could be 4, but

How could continuity put a 3rd year player Lawrence ahead of Lamer, well because Lawrence has a possibility of 3 rookie @b's in his weak division, and Lamar not only has, Burrow, but Pickett, And the Browns, the afc north is crazy.

so, 4 and five on the list should be
4. Trevor Lawrence, and
five, Lamar Jackson, and
why not the chargers and Herbert?
because the Chargers and Herbert consistently finish 3rd in their div, they did get the number one wr in the draft, but he is a run after catch guy who doesn't catch a lot in contested situations

Rogers and Garopollo belong above the La charger situation imo.

Were the Jets or raiders a better team for a new @b to land in? the Raiders were, so Garopollo has to be above Rodgers for that reason.
Can't believe the love A.Rodgers gets. He has put incredible numbers
Throughout the years. But can he win when it matters the most?
No. Rodgers is going to a conference where he will be
Competing vs a murderers row of QBs.
He is a year older. The NFC North is not the AFC East.
The Bills Pats Dolphins have rock solid defenses
The AFC North has playmakers on all their defense.
Rodgers is simply facing a talented conference.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/08/23 03:04 AM
Will Rodgers on the Jets be as good as Favre was on the Vikings? hmm.
Posted By: eotab Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/08/23 11:54 AM
I'm tired of your constant ignorance regarding Baker Mayfield.
Bruce Arians who knows more about QB play than any of us. Thinks Baker is a top QB and came into the NFL as the most accurate QB and he had a change at OC or HC his first two years. Stefanski wanted to mold him into a West Coast Offense with precision routes which takes two and changes every year. Most Coaches who get a #1 pick QB will work around the QBs talents - instead Ski tried to make him into a 6'4" QB who could run which Baker could scramble but he was not a running QB. So they broke him mentally and after he played hurt he was vilified and it has taken 2 years for him to recover. Now he is ready to play the game of football.

I always thought Watson had talent but he was not a winner. 4-12 in the best season of his career meanwhile the accolades of Baker was great. As a rookie in the Red Zone 20 TD and -0- INTs. Who does that but we went with SKI who ruined Baker but Haslam once again was snookered. He wanted the deal done so Berry did what it took to get it done and so far we could have had Jordan Davis at DT and Van Ness DE with the 1st rounders we gave up...who knows what we would have taken in the 2nd rounds. Add in Berry's picks from round 3 down and we would have a great team ADD in all our FA picks as we would have had MILLIONS of Cap Space and with a QB ready to play as he is 100% healed and keep his head on straight.

But you go on and on about Baker being bad as if you know more than Bruce Arians. I didn't want to get into it but again your ignorance just brought it out of me. Later before I get banned for saying what I really think about you.

I hope Watson becomes a winner cause I love my Browns. I wish he would show some remorse over his conduct in the past so fans like me could start to forgive him.
jmho it doesn't have to be yours but I do know what I'm talking about. Berry has done a good job making lemonade.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/08/23 12:22 PM
If Watson reverts back to his Houston days, he'd have to be in that top 7 somewhere. We'll just have to wait and see.
I agree. I think he will re-establish himself, but he has to prove it on the field [this year] before I can put him in the group w/the elite qbs.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/08/23 12:43 PM
I haven’t looked at the rest of the responses yet, but here’s how I’d rank the AFC teams THIS season by QB

1. Kansas City
2. Cincinnati
3. Buffalo
4. LA Chargers
5. Jacksonville
6. NY Jets
7. Baltimore
8. Cleveland
9. Denver
10. Miami
11. Pittsburgh
12. Las Vegas
13. Tennessee
14. New England
15. Houston
16. Indianapolis
Originally Posted by eotab
Bruce Arians who knows more about QB play than any of us. Thinks Baker is a top QB and came into the NFL as the most accurate QB and he had a change at OC or HC his first two years. Stefanski wanted to mold him into a West Coast Offense with precision routes which takes two and changes every year. Most Coaches who get a #1 pick QB will work around the QBs talents - instead Ski tried to make him into a 6'4" QB who could run which Baker could scramble but he was not a running QB. So they broke him mentally and after he played hurt he was vilified and it has taken 2 years for him to recover. Now he is ready to play the game of football.

I always thought Watson had talent but he was not a winner. 4-12 in the best season of his career meanwhile the accolades of Baker was great. As a rookie in the Red Zone 20 TD and -0- INTs. Who does that but we went with SKI who ruined Baker but Haslam once again was snookered. He wanted the deal done so Berry did what it took to get it done and so far we could have had Jordan Davis at DT and Van Ness DE with the 1st rounders we gave up...who knows what we would have taken in the 2nd rounds. Add in Berry's picks from round 3 down and we would have a great team ADD in all our FA picks as we would have had MILLIONS of Cap Space and with a QB ready to play as he is 100% healed and keep his head on straight.

But you go on and on about Baker being bad as if you know more than Bruce Arians. I didn't want to get into it but again your ignorance just brought it out of me. Later before I get banned for saying what I really think about you.

I hope Watson becomes a winner cause I love my Browns. I wish he would show some remorse over his conduct in the past so fans like me could start to forgive him.
jmho it doesn't have to be yours but I do know what I'm talking about. Berry has done a good job making lemonade.
Ah see your feeling healthy better Mr.Eotab. that's spirit. Better to get
A response from you than no response. Your alive.
That carries more than any opinion on Baker Cant-See-the-Field.

I can state any opinion on Baker Mayfield that I please.
If my view of Baker bothers you then you have to deal with that.
But iam simply not going to state a opinion on a player
Worrying about how you might react.
Look not every Browns fan has share the same opinion as you.
And understand this sir, Bruce Ariens carries no weight
With Andrew Berry , Kevin Stefanski or most Browns fans

You might want to actually come to the realization that Baker
Is not a QB that can get you far in the playoffs.
He is a average 5'11 1/2 short QB who cannot manipulate
Defenses with his eyes. He cannot make adjustments
When the defense adjusts to him.
If Baker was all that how come Sean McVay was all too happy
To let him leave the Rams. ? How come Alex Van Pelt who knows
The QB position as well as anyone didn't come to the defense
Of Mayfield. See for every Bruce Ariens there is 31 GMs HCs
QB coaches and OCs that believe Mayfield is not starter worthy.
If you notice he has to compete with Kyle Trask. That in itself
Is a indictment on far Baker has fallen.

Sorry Eotab. Many others share my opinion on Baker.
You might know football from a coaching perspective
But your ability to judge and assess talent is highly questionable
At times.
You were the same person that stated Dan Pastorini was the
Best QB you ever saw.
You said Josh Rosen was the Browns secret weapon last preseason
You compared Duke Johnson to other HoF players.
You beat the drum so hard for David Veikune it hurt John Adams
Ears that.summer at Progressive Field.
And you were so hurt Eric Mangini got canned you stayed off
Dawgtalkers for a extended period.
How many Browns GMs have you fell hook line and sinker for?

The fact of the matter is...you take others football opinions
So personally and that's not healthy.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/08/23 03:45 PM
Some people still can't get Baker out of their brains. You are not alone in that regard.
Posted By: eotab Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/09/23 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

At times.
Best QB you ever saw.

My first year on this board I made a thread called "Groundhog Day" strongly criticizing the talent and players on this team. Then we were in such doldrums I decided to become a HOMER Poster trying to give hope and trying to make sense of it all. But you LIED in your post. I didn't go overboard on Veikune...never like him much. I sure as heck didn't compare DUKE to HOF status. And I never left the board in a hissy fit over Mangini. GMs - fell over all of them. But once we became competitive I didn't see the need to over hype finally I could post and criticize the team - Thanks to Baker we became competitive. But not for one moment did I believe the PROMOTIONAL post I had made about our sad sack teams. Heck I posted positive about our 1-31 team trying to not commit suicide lol laugh Josh Rosen lmao I was trying to make amends with a poster who liked Rosen. Did I have some hope - I always did. The fact you took me serious tells me you just don't have a clue. After his play was seen I threw up my hands on him as he was who we thought he was...lousy.
Dan Pastorini was the best QB I saw play in his era. He just happened to play on the WORST teams of that era also. Again you bringing that up shows your ignorance on QB play. Beat up and a shadow of himself he finally got some talent and did something but too late his body was battered over the years... What is your point. You go and look at arm strength, accuracy, footwork, athleticism he was the best.

I am getting old but I still fart more football than you ever will know. So what you are telling me you HATE ME cause I was a positive poster. grow up!

At times.
Best QB you ever saw.

My first year on this board I made a thread called "Groundhog Day" strongly criticizing the talent and players on this team. Then we were in such doldrums I decided to become a HOMER Poster trying to give hope and trying to make sense of it all. But you LIED in your post. I didn't go overboard on Veikune...never like him much. I sure as heck didn't compare DUKE to HOF status. And I never left the board in a hissy fit over Mangini. GMs - fell over all of them. But once we became competitive I didn't see the need to over hype finally I could post and criticize the team - Thanks to Baker we became competitive. But not for one moment did I believe the PROMOTIONAL post I had made about our sad sack teams. Heck I posted positive about our 1-31 team trying to not commit suicide lol laugh Josh Rosen lmao I was trying to make amends with a poster who liked Rosen. Did I have some hope - I always did. The fact you took me serious tells me you just don't have a clue. After his play was seen I threw up my hands on him as he was who we thought he was...lousy.
Dan Pastorini was the best QB I saw play in his era. He just happened to play on the WORST teams of that era also. Again you bringing that up shows your ignorance on QB play. Beat up and a shadow of himself he finally got some talent and did something but too late his body was battered over the years... What is your point. You go and look at arm strength, accuracy, footwork, athleticism he was the best.

I am getting old but I still fart more football than you ever will know. So what you are telling me you HATE ME cause I was a positive poster. grow up!
Why would I HATE you for stating a football opinion.
HATE is a very very strong word that should never
In a football forum or any other forum where ideas are
Freely and openly exchanged.
I'm afraid your making more out of this than it should be.
No I'd never hate you. You've done nothing to me personally.
But I do find you amusing.
Just because your ever so positive about the Browns
Does not make you anymore intelligent about the game
Of football than anyone who is part of this community.
Yet anyone who has a different opinion than what your opinion is
You go through great lengths to make them feel inferior
Regarding there football views.
I've seen you post many years on here.
It is hard for you to admit you are wrong when talking
About a player a coach a GM that you so much
Banged the table for.
Heck you can't even admit you were wrong about Baker Nofield.
Even in the latest rankings there are 3 rookies rated ahead
Of him for 2023 season.
It's okay to be wrong
We have all missed on judging players coaches GMs and
Rosters in general.
Posted By: FATE Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/09/23 03:48 PM
30% of your posts seem to be stalking Eotab and complaining that he is eternally positive... and then enlightening the board with your list of examples.

It's actually a little creepy.
Originally Posted by FATE
30% of your posts seem to be stalking Eotab and complaining that he is eternally positive... and then enlightening the board with your list of examples.

Interesting concept "stalking"
So you are actually "studying" my posts directed to Eotab.
That in itself Is humorous in placing a % on somebody
Replying to another.
But going back to Eotab..it's OK to be positive. But at what
Point does that distort what is real.?
This is the same guy that sang the praises of every GM
And HC stepped through the doors of Berea.
Yet anyone that disagreed with Eotab was called a " bozo"
Or whatever by him.
This is the same poster that cried over and over that
The league had it in for Browns and cried everytime
The Steelers bullied the Browns.
Eotab is good man but homerism gets a little silly at time.
Meanwhile other posters here who actually are
Realistic get criticism till no end.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/09/23 06:41 PM
Tab and I have gone around and around about his homerism in years past. I understand the point you're trying to make. Yet at the very same time as well as he knows the game I took a lot of it with a grain of salt. My mind was always telling me, "He has to know better than that." Considering this is a Cleveland Browns message board I'm a little surprised you take exception with finding "homers" on it. One would think you should actually expect it.
Posted By: FATE Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/09/23 07:06 PM

Replying to another.
Or whatever by him.

Now it's 40%.

Replying to another.
Or whatever by him.

Now it's 40%.
Ah great reply.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/09/23 08:36 PM
In between your Eo bashing posts, can you do something about that formatting?
Originally Posted by jfanent
I can try
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/10/23 01:36 AM
How is Garoppollo going to do on the Raiders? A veteran with all that playoff experience,
the whole afc is crazy.
Posted By: JPPT1974 Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/10/23 02:27 AM
Well the AFC is much more going to be competitive.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/10/23 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by JPPT1974
Well the AFC is much more going to be competitive.

And why I don't put Playoffs as a criteria for Stefanski keeping his job. I could see a few teams with 10 wins possibly not making the playoffs.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/10/23 11:12 AM
I think Berry and KS would be under immense pressure if we don't make the playoffs. I mean injuries and freak stuff not withstanding - I can't see making the playoffs with a QB that you wanted to move on from, giving up all that draft capital and that contract to DW, and then standing still or going backwards. You can move on from your QB and not make that deal for DW and be in the same position of not making the playoffs. It's not got anything to do with the former QB - it's got everything to do with who you moved to and what you gave up for him and the 1/4 $Billion.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/10/23 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think Berry and KS would be under immense pressure if we don't make the playoffs. I mean injuries and freak stuff not withstanding - I can't see making the playoffs with a QB that you wanted to move on from, giving up all that draft capital and that contract to DW, and then standing still or going backwards. You can move on from your QB and not make that deal for DW and be in the same position of not making the playoffs. It's not got anything to do with the former QB - it's got everything to do with who you moved to and what you gave up for him and the 1/4 $Billion.

The thing about the $quarter billion, if you look around the league, that is the going rate for top QB's. Watson isn't even the top guy.

As for the guarantee, it's just symbolic. Any team who pays a QB that much isn't going to move off that QB any time soon. If a QB like that gets a career ending injury, most teams pay it off anyway. Most teams also have insurance for events like that on top players. It doesn't pay everything, but it pays enough to make the guarantee a moot point.

It may sound like a lot(and it is) and it may sound stupid, but the Browns FO and owner are pretty sharp cats. They aren't going to make a move like that unless it made sound business sense.

The bottom line is unless your rookie balls out, you are going to pay a top QB $45-55 mil a year.

I think Hurts is making $51 a year. Rodgers $50. Mahomes about the same. Burrough is on the cheap right now, but NFL...not for long. What did Jackson get? Add in Allen and Herbert. Not sure if they have been paid yet, but you can bet your sweet bippy they will.

LOL....pulled that saying out from the deeper reaches of the memory bank.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/10/23 11:52 AM
Every big-money QB you listed there ^ - with the exception of Rogers - was in the playoffs last year. We should expect the same.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/10/23 03:03 PM
I do find it odd how all we heard is that Watson was a top 5 QB and now people are trying to walk back expectations. Seems a little weird to me.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/10/23 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I do find it odd how all we heard is that Watson was a top 5 QB and now people are trying to walk back expectations. Seems a little weird to me.
Not really.Those that saw him as a knight in shinning armor brought here to save the franchise had their expectations tempered by last season.Those of us who saw him as just another creepy guy in a trenchcoat standing in park flashing young girls weren't surprised.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/10/23 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by BCbrownie
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Not really.Those that saw him as a knight in shinning armor brought here to save the franchise had their expectations tempered by last season.Those of us who saw him as just another creepy guy in a trenchcoat standing in park flashing young girls weren't surprised.
well that escalated quickly 😂
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/11/23 03:15 AM
Looking at those names there's quite an upgrade in talent over the last 5-10 years. Just not long ago, it seemed you had for elite talent Brady, Rogers and Manning....then a dropoff to Roethlisberger. And that was it.

You might be able to put Brees in that elite group for a time.

But yeah... SportsCenter was all about "The Triplets" for the longest time.
And... don't you think the game is more interesting with this expanded cast of characters? I sure do.

Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Ranking the AFC teams by quarterback - 05/11/23 03:32 AM

rofl

It's driven me nuts for years, but I've never said anything until now.
Posts look like they were ripped from a book of avant-garde abstract poetry.
Haiku on steroids.

There might actually be some content worth perusing, but I wouldn't actually know- he's part of my 'auto-scroll group.'

I sure hope he can get it fixed.
© DawgTalkers.net