DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:00 PM
Mary Kay Cabot
@MaryKayCabot
#Browns have released DT Perrion Winfrey after he reportedly threatened a woman with a gun Tuesday night. Details coming soon.

he had a heck of a career here
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:03 PM
Ravens will sign him all but guaranteeing his Gold Jacket.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:04 PM
he could get another shot somewhere, but he was literally nothing but problems from the moment he was drafted and barked
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:05 PM
What a dolt...
So many Browns fans bought into his stupid barking hype
Video after he got drafted.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

That original draft press conference w/ Nathan Zegura was cringy.
And Berry's draft busts continues
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:16 PM

How about the Browns analytics draft team that failed to investigate Winfrey's history...Depo and Berry drafted Winfrey...but he did run a 4.8/40.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:17 PM
Official

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:19 PM
yeah there was a lot of smoke about his off the field stuff prior to the draft
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by mac

How about the Browns analytics draft team that failed to investigate Winfrey's history...Depo and Berry drafted Winfrey...but he did run a 4.8/40.

They did.....as did other teams. Which is why he fell to the fourth round.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:27 PM
The available veteran interior lineman search begins.

Matt Ioannidis is still available, I think.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by mac

Another excuse for the Browns analytics draft team....

Those "OTHER TEAMS" that passed on Winfrey...they probably did their homework.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:34 PM
Ioannidis would be great
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by mac

Another excuse for the Browns analytics draft team....

Those "OTHER TEAMS" that passed on Winfrey...they probably did their homework.

I'd suggest continuing to concentrate your analytics outrage towards earlier round guys like Wills, Delpit, Newsome, and JOK than day three draft picks.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:45 PM
Just a passing comment from Jason Lloyd.....who I consider one of the best here in town.

I read this as there were other issues on top of this that may have not been public or as serious, but part of a larger picture re: Winfrey.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 02:47 PM
A clear case of the message not getting through.

Winfrey was given numerous chances to fix his head.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

This means someone else will get a chance. The worst kind of draft failure. Thick as a brick.

Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 03:01 PM
Does this really surprise anyone that Winfrey has finally been cut?

Why did Perrion Winfrey fall so far in the 2022 draft?
"Teams were worried he could have positive tests and suspensions in the pros. They also did not like his inconsistent play where he was a huge liability against the run and really struggled as a run defender in college. Between his makeup and inconsistent play, Winfrey's slide was not surprising to team sources." (walterfootball.com)

Clearly a swing and miss by the Browns.

I'm guessing the next missed draft pick on the cut room floor will be Schwartz.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
yeah there was a lot of smoke about his off the field stuff prior to the draft

Smoke about off field stuff seems to be a new requirement.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 04:40 PM
After the latest news I agree on cutting PW. We don't need any added distractions. I feel he has talent but it's not worth the trouble. Unfortunately, it's a position we are trying to strengthen. We'll have to look for another player or 2 at DT.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 04:42 PM
I'm so shocked by this. rolleyes

cue tweet about Anthony Schwartz next
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
After the latest news I agree on cutting PW. We don't need any added distractions. I feel he has talent but it's not worth the trouble.

This is the part I find rather troubling. Are you saying that a constant disruption and such behavior is somehow acceptable based on how much talent you have? That character only matters depending on how talented you are?

Sadly, as much as it pains me to admit it, I think you're right so please don't take this as some attack. I just find it troubling that this is the way it seems to be. And I am interested to try and have someone explain to me why you can excuse terrible character on the part of one player and have a double standard with other players. It certainly portrays a huge double standard and the appearance that when push comes to shove, the top brass makes examples of lesser players in an attempt to BS people into believing that character actually matters to them while embracing and excusing those with more talent. So it's not really about what you did, but who you are.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255
Does this really surprise anyone that Winfrey has finally been cut?

Why did Perrion Winfrey fall so far in the 2022 draft?
"Teams were worried he could have positive tests and suspensions in the pros. They also did not like his inconsistent play where he was a huge liability against the run and really struggled as a run defender in college. Between his makeup and inconsistent play, Winfrey's slide was not surprising to team sources." (walterfootball.com)

Clearly a swing and miss by the Browns.

I'm guessing the next missed draft pick on the cut room floor will be Schwartz.

I wouldn't call it a swing and miss. It was taking a flyer. A gamble on a long shot.

I bought a few tickets on tonights Powerball. If I don't win, I wouldn't call it a swing and a miss.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
After the latest news I agree on cutting PW. We don't need any added distractions. I feel he has talent but it's not worth the trouble.

This is the part I find rather troubling. Are you saying that a constant disruption and such behavior is somehow acceptable based on how much talent you have? That character only matters depending on how talented you are?

Sadly, as much as it pains me to admit it, I think you're right so please don't take this as some attack. I just find it troubling that this is the way it seems to be. And I am interested to try and have someone explain to me why you can excuse terrible character on the part of one player and have a double standard with other players. It certainly portrays a huge double standard and the appearance that when push comes to shove, the top brass makes examples of lesser players in an attempt to BS people into believing that character actually matters to them while embracing and excusing those with more talent. So it's not really about what you did, but who you are.

It is quite inspiring to think that the Browns would draw the line in the sand on chasing a woman with a gun (or bruising another's wrist) after openly accepting the sexual assault on 23 women by another player. My suggestion to Winfrey is to immediately try to come to some kind of financial settlement with the women and everything will be water under the bridge.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

I wouldn't say it makes it acceptable. It does give people a few more chances.

The bottom line is the kid is just a thug from the hood. Has been and never tried to change that.

It is what it is. We gave him a chance and he screwed it up. No big surprise.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 06:54 PM
Couldn't get thru the silly season, ie no adult guidance. Made nearly $900,000 last year--wonder how much he's owed this year.....can't be much- sad he thought he'd made it.....another bust from the hood.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 06:57 PM
Pit I'm not taking your response as an attack not at all. However, your response did make ne think about it a little more. If PW was an all pro for us the last few years I don't believe he would have been cut. As a matter of fact, I don't think we as fans would want to see him cut. There have been instances on other teams, 2 in our division, where very important players got in some serious trouble and nothing happened. So yes, I believe there is a double standard for more talented players as opposed to those with less talent in any sport not just the NFL and yes, it is troubling.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 07:01 PM
Thanks for the honest and candid response.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 07:35 PM
j/c:

Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 08:16 PM
Just an idiot we’ll soon forget about. Had a great opportunity to, at worst, build a nice little nest egg for his future, instead he blows it.
See ya.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 08:31 PM
Good bye dumb ass!

Money in his pocket and he thinks he is a Gangsta, brandishing a gun and not what. Oooo he showed those girls how inportant he is.
Chance after chance and he just blew it.

Good bye!
Im telling you all Maurice Hurst is going to kick ASS!!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 10:36 PM
ten cent brain syndrome
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/19/23 10:46 PM
It's sad. Some of us wish we had the talent of these athletes and the opportunity to make the money that goes with it.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 12:45 AM
He was given extra chances. Once you trash the opportunity after you've been told what is expected of you. I don't have any regrets about showing him the door. He forced their hand.

He has some talent. He might have been able to develop.

Unfortunate.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by eotab
Good bye dumb ass!

Money in his pocket and he thinks he is a Gangsta, brandishing a gun and not what. Oooo he showed those girls how inportant he is.

Good bye!

I think Hurst is a sleeper. This guy was good when he played, just hurt too much. Maybe he is healthy now, if so, he is pretty good
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 12:57 AM
Some guys think they are all that, only to find they are not.

I do hope that the Browns start looking at character more. We had that other DL, who went to jail ......and an assortment of guys who are talented, but will never make it in life, let alone the NFL.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 01:27 AM
The Browns should have cut him after the domestic violence incident back in April.

Winfrey screwing up....again, is the least surprising news this offseason.

There's a room vacancy now at The Greenbrier!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 01:33 AM
Ed and Peggy Gallek on the case....

Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 02:38 AM
well he didn't last long...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
Originally Posted by eotab
Good bye dumb ass!

Good bye!

I think Hurst is a sleeper. This guy was good when he played, just hurt too much. Maybe he is healthy now, if so, he is pretty good

That is the only question. He has only played 2 games the last 2 season, so he should be good, but you never know.

We have some money. I don't think we can rest on what we have. Too many caution flags.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 01:35 PM
This "bust" doesn't remind me of Schwartz so much, but more like Callaway or Gordon (I know Gordon wasn't a bust on the field). WE took a third-round gamble on Calloway and a second (supplemental) on Grodon. But those guys seemed to have major question marks coming out of college regarding possible legal and playing effort issues.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 01:46 PM
I can agree, Peen. We need to add more to hedge our bets. I won'y miss Winfrey; he is a flyer who failed. It was a risky gamble, but it is over. This kind of roster triage is a necessity. First, stop the bleeding. Getting rid of numbskulls who insist on failure as a lifestyle despite chances should be gone. When I think back on somme of the injury & illness plagues we have had, we need insurance to cover up a weak spot and still be able to compete.

PW was a liability with no change in sight; his trend was a downward spiral. We won't miss his production much and his headaches even less. .02
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 02:34 PM
with the signing of Watson, it's a safe bet that we don't value character haha

But I agree, especially with the fringe type guys
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
I can agree, Peen. We need to add more to hedge our bets. I won'y miss Winfrey; he is a flyer who failed. It was a risky gamble, but it is over. This kind of roster triage is a necessity. First, stop the bleeding. Getting rid of numbskulls who insist on failure as a lifestyle despite chances should be gone. When I think back on somme of the injury & illness plagues we have had, we need insurance to cover up a weak spot and still be able to compete.

PW was a liability with no change in sight; his trend was a downward spiral. We won't miss his production much and his headaches even less. .02

Indeed.

I don't even think it was that much of a gamble. He was a 4th rounder. The reality is most of those guys don't amount to much. I would call it a calculated risk. We knew the guy had issues, but also felt he had the potential be the value of a 2nd rounder.

When you toss the bones, sometimes you crap out.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/20/23 08:58 PM
Indeed, indeed.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/22/23 05:36 PM
Man charged in Cleveland mass shooting stole gun from woman who accused ex-Browns player Perrion Winfrey, police reports say

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2023...utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

That's quite the headline.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/23/23 03:25 PM
that's unbelievable
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Release DT Perrion Winfrey - 07/23/23 09:21 PM
Maybe a couple of them.
© DawgTalkers.net