DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 04:30 PM

https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-expected-to-move-on-from-hc-ron-rivera-after-four-seasons (Link)

One of the most, if not the most, overrated HC is the past decade or so.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 04:31 PM
yeah, he's been so below average
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 04:42 PM
I chuckle every time I hear Bill Simmons refer to him as Rowboat Ron.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 04:52 PM
Monday and next week in general will see coaching turnovers. It's an annual event. There is a meeting taking place here in Nashville with Vrabel and the top brass to determine the fate of Vrabel moving forward as well. We'll be hearing more of this in the upcoming days. Here are some that may be on the chopping block and there may even be a few other surprises sprinkled in....

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots.

Robert Saleh, New York Jets.

Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans.

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders.

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears.

Maybe Brandon Staley depending on the outcome of how the Jags game works out today.

Arthur Smith of Atlanta may be a contender.

The upcoming week should be an interesting one.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Monday and next week in general will see coaching turnovers. It's an annual event. There is a meeting taking place here in Nashville with Vrabel and the top brass to determine the fate of Vrabel moving forward as well. We'll be hearing more of this in the upcoming days. Here are some that may be on the chopping block and there may even be a few other surprises sprinkled in....

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots.

Robert Saleh, New York Jets.

Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans.

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders.

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears.

Maybe Brandon Staley depending on the outcome of how the Jags game works out today.

Arthur Smith of Atlanta may be a contender.

The upcoming week should be an interesting one.

UGH! Seven coaches, really hoped all the teams liked their HCs.

Inevitable, Part of the game

Now it's time for Jim Schwartz to start saying

No No No No No No and NO !!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 05:30 PM
That list by no means indicates they will all be fired. Just coaches that many think will be considered to be let go. It seems most years there are some coaches people expect to be fired that aren't and some coaches few expected to be fired that are. That's what will make next week so interesting. Nobody can be sure how it will all shake out.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 05:40 PM
Would it surprise you, if Vrabel ends up replacing Belichick in New England ?

I know it's early and like you said it's just list of posibilities.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 05:47 PM
It would slightly surprise me but not shock me. Vrabel has had a very bad season this year but then they've never given him a real QB. Under the conditions he has coached under, most seasons he has over performed.
I agree with the possibility of that list.

But I'm confused, Brandon Staley?
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 06:31 PM
I think New England is in the same situation at QB play as is Tennesee.

New England having the third overall pick might help Vrabel get his QB if he would end up there

I know this conversation is all speculation, just having a little fun with it
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 06:52 PM
Staley was fired weeks ago. Where have you people been.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 08:24 PM
That list by no means indicates they will all be fired. Just coaches that many think will be considered to be let go. It seems most years there are some coaches people expect to be fired that aren't and some coaches few expected to be fired that are. That's what will make next week so interesting. Nobody can be sure how it will all shake out.

In the end i think Vrabel sticks. The Titans are pretty much in control of the Jags at the moment.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by EveDawg

Stuck in a Crazy Browns Season Warp !

Beem me up Stefanski !

smile
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

Beem me up Stefanski !

smile

Pretty obvious they meant Pederson.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 09:27 PM
j/c:

I think Arthur Smith is a no-brainer to be fired.
Posted By: redddog Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 09:35 PM
Need to clear his desk for Belichick.

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t end up there.
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I think Arthur Smith is a no-brainer to be fired.

Definitely an obvious choice. Though he did make some staff changes two months ago by firing his mustache. So the change might buy him another year with the FO.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/07/24 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by JulesDawg
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

Beem me up Stefanski !

smile

Pretty obvious they meant Pederson.

Girl ! I miss you !
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 12:38 AM
Arthur Smith is gone I agree
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 03:12 AM
Welcome back, Jules.
You've been missed.

(smiling ear-to-ear as I type)
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 01:35 PM
I think he meant Doug Pederson, who I had mentioned as being a possible firing case in the playoffs forum. What a complete bed-crapping the Jags have done. 8-3 after Week 12 and they miss the playoffs. Lost 5 of the last 6 with the lone victory being against the worst team in the NFL.

Smith got fired already.

I don't think Saleh will be fired. He had a QB quagmire after their prized possession went down 4 plays into the season.

I'd list Eberflus as a maybe. I could see it either way.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 01:55 PM
I think the following teams will be looking for new coaches:

Panthers
Commanders
Falcons
Patriots
Seahawks

and MAYBE:

Cowboys
Bills
Eagles
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 02:19 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 02:26 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 04:31 PM
Though he did make some staff changes two months ago by firing his mustache.
Because even pedophiles said that looked 'too pedo'.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 04:55 PM
Tomlin's not on the hot seat anymore?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 05:28 PM
IMO Tomlin never was on the hot seat ... only by the fans, not by his bosses
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 05:33 PM
It's really amazing how fickle their fans are. I do think they have a "bloated" fan base because of their decades of winning. Mind you, I think they also have a very strong core group of fans as well (sk8termom included), giving them a very huge fan base. The problem is that the bandwagon faction - and even some of the core faction - are like a bunch of spoiled kids:

"You can have only one dessert tonight, instead of two."

"You are the worst parents ever! I want other parents!"

They got stuck in a rough situation because they couldn't figure out the QB after Ben retired. They couldn't figure out the QB because they never draft in a position to get a good one. Pickett looks like he won't work out, which is just the way of things. The fans wanted Tomlin fired as a result. Now that they're in the playoffs, it's all sunshine a rainbows. If they get a first round exit, then it'll be back to wanting Tomlin's head.

It's actually a hard situation for them to resolve. How do you get out of being perennially good, but not elite? Not too many teams can figure that out. Hell, New England has been irrelevant since Brady left. It seems Baltimore is the only team with the secret formula.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 05:37 PM
Sadly, IMO a lot of coaches lose their jobs because of the failings of their FO. Their FO fails to get them the players, most often especially at the QB position and use their HC as the fall guy for their own shortcomings.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 06:19 PM
Sadly, IMO a lot of coaches lose their jobs because of the failings of their FO. Their FO fails to get them the players, most often especially at the QB position and use their HC as the fall guy for their own shortcomings.
It's why I finally feel like we have a good cohesion between our GM and coaching staff
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 06:27 PM
They do. But that's much easier to do when you're winning. Even the past few seasons haven't been bad. How well an organization has continuity or cohesion only gets tested when things are going badly. Everyone loves a winner or a team that is at least competitive inside the organization. At least for the most part.

If things go south and the Browns were to start doing terribly I have no idea who the blame would fall on. Well, actually most of us should know. For anyone who has been reading the board the past few years we know it would be blamed on Stefanski. That didn't stop until he started winning games while they should have just made a QB jersey that said "PLACE NAME HERE" on it. Then suddenly everyone loved him.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 07:20 PM
Owners in most cases are terrible at hiring.

They make emotional decisions and they over react. Often they do not understand how important the GM and HC have to work together.

They look through the single lens of the record. Of course it is a wins and loses business. Sometimes that is all that counts. However, W's & L's do not always tell the total truth.

If the GM has roster control. You have to start there. The GM's make the decisions on what players stay or go. They make the decisions on FA signings. They make the trades. And they pick the players in the draft.

If the ingredients are rotten. You cannot make a good meal.

The head coach has to be evaluated by what he does with the roster he has.

This season you don't have to go out of the North. Tomlin and Stefanski were both outstanding.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Commanders to Fire Ron Rivera - 01/08/24 08:24 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Coach Firings - 01/09/24 05:36 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 05:44 PM
well, he'll be the best candidate on the market
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 05:54 PM
I think he ended up paying the price for the Titans FO lack of making the proper investment to get him a QB. A third round pick in 2022 for Malik Willis and a 2023 second round pick in Will Levis. Levis was a rookie and had some moments but not nearly enough of them. Vrabel won't be out if a job for long. This could impact what happens in New England. We'll just have to wait and see on that one.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 06:39 PM
I wouldn't mind him at Ohio State.......
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 06:42 PM
I think that a less Belichickian approach to offense would have taken them a long way, but QB definitely held them back. They have a ground & pound offense in a gunslinger world.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 06:43 PM
Looks like Jags let go of their DC. I suppose some head had to roll with the finish they had. Just interesting that it's on that side of the ball...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
I think that a less Belichickian approach to offense would have taken them a long way, but QB definitely held them back. They have a ground & pound offense in a gunslinger world.

While I certainly agree that was their offense I'm not sure there was any other realistic option when you had Tannehill as your QB. When all the FO gives you is Tannehill and two raw rookie draft picks and you have Derrick Henry I can't see how Vrabel could have done things much differently.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 08:28 PM
j/c

Derrick Henry reacts to the firing of Vrabel; “Wow. Wow. I’m shocked,” Henry told Russini. “Coach Vrabel is a leader of men. He is a great coach and teacher. I know he will get another opportunity right away. I look forward to it.”
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 08:45 PM
Kind of surprised they let Vrabel go when everyone knew their Offense was in complete rebuild mode. Other than Henry and an aging Hopkins they really have no offensive weapons and the OLine is a mess. Not to mention the QB situation.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 09:15 PM
One team's trash another team's treasure.

Mistake IMO.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Coach Firings - 01/09/24 09:40 PM
I think he ended up paying the price for the Titans FO lack of making the proper investment to get him a QB. A third round pick in 2022 for Malik Willis and a 2023 second round pick in Will Levis. Levis was a rookie and had some moments but not nearly enough of them. Vrabel won't be out if a job for long. This could impact what happens in New England. We'll just have to wait and see on that one.

Yes. The owner came out and basically said she sided with the new GM from last year. And implied that Vrabel basically wasn't innovative enough, was behind the times in the NFL, and that he wasn't aligned with the new GM.

Big mistake imo.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Coach Firings - 01/10/24 01:26 AM
I can see them spiraling into the perpetual poverty that we had all come to know and love for many a year.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Coach Firings - 01/10/24 04:42 AM
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Yes. The owner came out and basically said she sided with the new GM from last year. And implied that Vrabel basically wasn't innovative enough, was behind the times in the NFL, and that he wasn't aligned with the new GM.

Big mistake imo.

Also, the FO making the dumb A.J. Brown trade.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/10/24 08:02 PM
Pete Carroll out as Seahawks coach, will serve as team adviser

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39280057/pete-carroll-expected-seahawks-coach-sources-say
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Coach Firings - 01/10/24 08:03 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...emain-with-organization-in-adviser-role/

Pete Carroll is no longer the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks, the team announced. It ends a 14-year run with the Seahawks that brought the Pacific Northwest its only Super Bowl victory a decade ago. Seahawks team chairperson Jody Allen released a statement saying the longtime coach will transition into an adviser role.

Carroll also serves as the executive vice president of football operations in Seattle, so his departure marks a momentous shift in power with the top football decision-maker now out. It leaves yet another head coach opening in the NFL as the carousel continues around the league.

But as of just two days ago, Carroll said he expected to be back in 2024.

"I plan to be coaching this team," Carroll told a Seattle radio show on Monday. "I love these guys, and that's what I would like to be doing, and see how far we can go. I'm not worn out. I'm not tired. I'm not any of that stuff. I need to do a better job, and I need to help my coaches more and we need to do a better job of coaching."

Former Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, who's currently with the Cowboys, would be a leading candidate to take over in Seattle, sources say.

Carroll, 72, narrowly missed the playoffs this season with a 9-8 record. In the last three years, the Seahawks put up a 25-26 record with just one playoff appearance. It has been a far cry from the run between 2012 and 2020 when the team won 68 percent of its games and had the second-best record in all of football during that span.

The Seahawks hit the greatest of heights in the mid-2010s with the Legion of Boom on defense and Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch on offense. Seattle won Super Bowl XLVIII over the Broncos and narrowly lost the following season to the Patriots in a game that wound up collapsing the burgeoning dynasty.

Carroll, the oldest coach in the NFL, signed a five-year contract extension in 2020. He finishes his career in Seattle with a regular-season record of 137-89-1. His overall regular-season record is 170-120-1, including three years in New England and a year as the Jets head coach in 1994.

On Wednesday, sources told CBS Sports the Seahawks had postponed their coaches meetings -- originally scheduled for Wednesday -- until Thursday. Then an all-staff meeting was called for 1 p.m. ET.

The vacancy in Seattle makes seven open head coaching positions in the NFL along with the Raiders, Panthers, Chargers, Commanders, Falcons and Titans. The NFL world continues to wait on what happens in New England with Bill Belichick.

It's unclear at the moment the immediate direction of the Seahawks franchise. Carroll has controlled football operations since he got there, with GM John Schneider collaborating with the head coach. Allen took over for her late brother, Paul, after he passed away in 2018, and she is now tasked with the biggest decision in franchise history under her watch.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 02:12 AM
Pete Carroll is no longer the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks, the team announced. It ends a 14-year run with the Seahawks that brought the Pacific Northwest its only Super Bowl victory a decade ago. Seahawks team chairperson Jody Allen released a statement saying the longtime coach will transition into an adviser role.

I gotta admit- this one came as a surprise to me, perhaps because I wasn't looking hard enough. Apparently, 3 seasons of middling performance really is enough to get a boot in your butt.

Was it the record?
Was it Pete's age?
Was it an amicable divorce?

A whoooolotta questions with this one.
I'm curious to see what info comes out-
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 03:52 AM
the reports are that Carroll would take another job if it was offered, so clearly he wanted to keep coaching
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

I gotta admit- this one came as a surprise to me, perhaps because I wasn't looking hard enough. Apparently, 3 seasons of middling performance really is enough to get a boot in your butt.

Was it the record?
Was it Pete's age?
Was it an amicable divorce?

A whoooolotta questions with this one.
I'm curious to see what info comes out-

Probably age as much as anything. I think he had one more year on his current deal. At least the article made it sound like that. When a coach hits that 1 year left mark, they are usually expecting a extension or a release.

How amicable it is remains to be seen. The article did say Pete would transition into an advisor role. At least from the Seahawks perspective, they aren't simply kicking him out the door.

Is that a sign or respect or a sign they don't want to pay him for sitting at home and want to see him report for duty everyday?
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 12:29 PM
j/c:

Bill Belichick out in New England

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bill-belichick-out-in-new-england
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 12:34 PM
That's a tough change to make lol, regardless of the last season or two
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Yep.

He's 71 years old. I wonder if he'll retire or not?
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20

End of an era. Man, with both him and Carroll out, you lost the two oldest HC's. Who is the oldest HC now? Payton?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 01:28 PM
Not a surprise. I felt going into this week he would be gone no later than Friday.

IMO there will not be many teams knocking on his door. Teams when hiring want a new hire to be a 10 year head coach.

BB is 72.

He may get an offer or two where they put in a plan for a successor coming from his staff.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I do not think BB wants to retire.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 02:23 PM

Paging Mike Vrabel. Paging Mike Vrabel.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 02:23 PM

Yep.

A read a report that he still wants to coach. We'll see.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 02:27 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 02:29 PM

Yep.

Belichick wants to break Shula’s win record. I think he ends up coaching the Commanders. High draft pick, can stabilize the franchise with new ownership and set up a coaching succession plan.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 02:41 PM
Commanders or Falcons make sense, but it's hard to "start over" with a 72 year old coach
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Yep.

Belichick wants to break Shula’s win record. I think he ends up coaching the Commanders. High draft pick, can stabilize the franchise with new ownership and set up a coaching succession plan.

I think Atlanta would be a good place for any coach. Pretty decent defense with Bijan, Pitts, and London on the offensive end. Just need to get that QB situation figured out because it ain't Ridder.
Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 03:03 PM

Yep.

This. Yes, you want a coach that will stay for a decade or two. Fact is, many franchises (Cleveland) are lucky to have one stay more than a year or two. BB can build an organizational bridge while getting things right in the locker room and on the field as well. There are a handful of franchises that would be fools not to take advantage of that... especially if that's his pitch and he would like to move into the FO at the right time.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by FATE

Yep.

This. Yes, you want a coach that will stay for a decade or two. Fact is, many franchises (Cleveland) are lucky to have one stay more than a year or two. BB can build an organizational bridge while getting things right in the locker room and on the field as well. There are a handful of franchises that would be fools not to take advantage of that... especially if that's his pitch and he would like to move into the FO at the right time.

Organizational bridge! I like that term. Never heard of it before today.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 03:22 PM
It does sound better than transition. At least these days to a lot of people. naughtydevil
Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 03:26 PM
rofl
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Coach Firings - 01/11/24 03:34 PM

Paging Mike Vrabel. Paging Mike Vrabel.

He'd probably even keep BOB on as the offensive coordinator. Probably not a whole lot of staff turnover.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 01:28 AM
These are the ages of the HC's

Andy Reid, 65 (Chiefs)

John Harbaugh, 61 (Ravens)

Mike McCarthy, 60 (Cowboys)

Todd Bowles, 60 (Buccaneers)

Sean Payton, 60 (Broncos)

Doug Pederson, 55 Jacksonville Jaguars

Giff Smith (Interim),55 Los Angeles Chargers

Matt Eberflus, 53 Chicago Bears

Chris Tabor (Interim),52 Carolina Panthers

Mike Tomlin,51 Pittsburgh Steelers

Dennis Allen,51 New Orleans Saints

Sean McDermott, 49 Buffalo Bills

Brian Daboll, 48 New York Giants

Dan Campbell,47 Detroit Lions

Antonio Pierce (Interim), 45 Las Vegas Raiders

Robert Saleh,44 New York Jets

Matt LaFleur, 44 Green Bay Packers

Kyle Shanahan,43 San Francisco 49ers

Nick Sirianni, 42 Philadelphia Eagles

Kevin Stefanski,41 Cleveland Browns

Jonathan Gannon, 40 Arizona Cardinals

Mike McDaniel,40 Miami Dolphins

Zac Taylor,40 Cincinnati Bengals

DeMeco Ryans,39 Houston Texans

Shane Steichen, 38 Indianapolis Colts

Kevin O’Connell,38 Minnesota Vikings

Sean McVay, 37 Los Angeles Rams

Vacant, Washington Commanders

Vacant, Tennessee Titans

Vacant, Atlanta Falcons

Vacant, Seattle Seahawks

Vacant, New England Patriots

Jim Schwartz is 57, hopefully the NFL HC trend will be to have younger coaches fill in the positions.

Leaving Schwartz as the Browns DC for a few more seasons

Unlikely, but hey ! one can hope

lol
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 01:54 AM
Commanders or Falcons make sense, but it's hard to "start over" with a 72 year old coach

No it isn't. He might be able to set a foundation. That means a lot.

No doubt he isn't a long term answer, but he can help lead to that answer. He will walk in with the cred no matter the age difference between him and the players. Players know that no matter how good the QB might be or have been, it still takes a coach to pull it all together.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 02:23 AM
It's bonkers to think McVay has coached the Rams for seven years and is still the youngest coach in the NFL.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 02:31 AM
It's bonkers to think McVay has coached the Rams for seven years and is still the youngest coach in the NFL.

Not gonna lie.....I was little surprised to see Tomlin at 51. But seeing John Harbaugh at 61 is the real bonkers for me.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 03:22 AM
BB with the Chargers and Herbert would be very interesting. That’s where he’s dangerous, when he has a talented young QB he can nurture in the film room. I’ve read that from several players (there was a Hoyer interview a few years ago as well as some other talking head last weekend) about how he opens your eyes to how your opponents see you. I can’t see BB taking a job without an at least decent QB.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 03:41 AM
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 04:15 AM

Seems like mcvay just took over a few years ago.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
BB with the Chargers and Herbert would be very interesting. That’s where he’s dangerous, when he has a talented young QB he can nurture in the film room. I’ve read that from several players (there was a Hoyer interview a few years ago as well as some other talking head last weekend) about how he opens your eyes to how your opponents see you. I can’t see BB taking a job without an at least decent QB.

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 12:07 PM
Perfect place for BB is the Chargers... He has a QB there but they need exactly what BB is known for, Toughness and Defense. At 72, he doesn't have time to build from a blank sheet of paper..
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 02:11 PM

Apparently it was written in his contract that he would be the successor.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 03:39 PM
The Jets would be a good short term landing spot for BB too. They have Rodger’s, offensive weapons and a very talented D. Not to mention BB would love the opportunity to stick it to the Pats and Robert Kraft. The Jets are a ready made team built to win now.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 04:46 PM
I actually think Saleh is a decent coach. His QB situation there has been an absolute quagmire. Now, if Rodgers returns next year and they still suck, then yeah, get rid of him.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 04:59 PM
I agree with you about Saleh but what a story it would be. BB returning to the Jets same division as the Pats and a team that can win today. The drama would be off the charts and make the Jets the most talked about team in sports, even more than Dallas if that’s possible!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 05:06 PM
I just haven't seen anything to indicate that the parting of the ways between BB and the Pats was confrontational. I don't think BB has some vendetta against Kraft. Not saying that the Jets wouldn't pose an interesting situation for BB but not for the reasoning you're using in regards to sticking it to Kraft. And as others have said I don't feel Saleh is doing a bad job under the circumstances.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 05:06 PM
Oh I agree. It would definitely blow the media doors off.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 05:52 PM
I just haven't seen anything to indicate that the parting of the ways between BB and the Pats was confrontational. I don't think BB has some vendetta against Kraft. Not saying that the Jets wouldn't pose an interesting situation for BB but not for the reasoning you're using in regards to sticking it to Kraft. And as others have said I don't feel Saleh is doing a bad job under the circumstances.

Although, he lost a QB in week 1 and his season fell apart. Stefanski lost his QB middle of the season and found a saving grace at QB. One that was let go by Saleh. Just saying.... Everyone has excuses and victims recite their issues and leaders' true leaders lead no matter what is put in front of them. I am sure glad the Browns have Stefanski vs Saleh.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I agree with you about Saleh but what a story it would be. BB returning to the Jets same division as the Pats and a team that can win today. The drama would be off the charts and make the Jets the most talked about team in sports, even more than Dallas if that’s possible!!

Plus, didn't BB take a job with the Jets and then reject them before going to New England?
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 06:05 PM
Listening to local sports radio here in New England it sounds like it was a mutual parting of the ways between BB and Robert Kraft. However, IMO, I don’t think BB really wanted to leave. He had complete control, his son was a coach and he was allegedly making 25 million a year. They said it was an amicable decision agreed to by both men but BB has a big ego and alot of pride and respect that was well earned. I think he would like nothing better than to coach against the Pats.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 06:06 PM
Yes that’s true but the Jets ownership was different then. Look, this is all conjecture by myself at this point but what drama it would be and the sports talk shows in New York and New England would be off the charts not to mention the national shows on television every day. Unfathomable might be a good word LOL 😆
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

Although, he lost a QB in week 1 and his season fell apart. Stefanski lost his QB middle of the season and found a saving grace at QB. One that was let go by Saleh. Just saying.... Everyone has excuses and victims recite their issues and leaders' true leaders lead no matter what is put in front of them. I am sure glad the Browns have Stefanski vs Saleh.

I prefer Stefanski over Saleh as well. I think that Stefanski combined with Berry helped us avoid disaster on the personnel front, with all of our injuries. Saleh is more of a defensive guru and he had that side of the ball playing very well. That being said, I don't think more than a couple coaches right now could have dealt with injuries the way Stefanski and Berry did.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 06:11 PM
And yet Saleh still has a job. It seems those that really matter, the Jets FO and ownership disagree with you. I agree with their decision.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 06:18 PM
Right Pit but BB just became available yesterday. Someone in New York could be contemplating the situation. Being able to hire arguably the greatest coach of all time to a team ready to win now is tempting. It makes the Jets as relevant as any team in the league maybe more and let’s face it, it’s short term.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 06:20 PM
And yet Saleh still has a job. It seems those that really matter, the Jets FO and ownership disagree with you. I agree with their decision.

Probably has more to do with Nathaniel Hackett being the offensive coordinator. If the Jets want Aaron Rogers back, they have to have Hackett as OC. That was the reason Rogers choose the Jets. If Rogers would have said I'm done, I retire the Jets would have fired Saleh. Bottom line was he let Flacco walk and choose Zach Wilson to back up Rogers. Then choose another QB to try to replace Wilson. None were named Flacco. Flacco was a Jet last year and his success this year are making the Jets look bad.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 06:23 PM
Good points. Sounds like the Jets need to make a big splash!!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 06:58 PM
If Rogers would have said I'm done, I retire the Jets would have fired Saleh.

Source?

Bottom line was he let Flacco walk and choose Zach Wilson to back up Rogers. Then choose another QB to try to replace Wilson. None were named Flacco. Flacco was a Jet last year and his success this year are making the Jets look bad.

Flacco sucked when he played for the Jets.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 11:01 PM

Probably has more to do with Nathaniel Hackett being the offensive coordinator. If the Jets want Aaron Rogers back, they have to have Hackett as OC. That was the reason Rogers choose the Jets. If Rogers would have said I'm done, I retire the Jets would have fired Saleh. Bottom line was he let Flacco walk and choose Zach Wilson to back up Rogers. Then choose another QB to try to replace Wilson. None were named Flacco. Flacco was a Jet last year and his success this year are making the Jets look bad.

I follow the Jets closely. Been kind of a hobby of mine since Baker - Darnold. Saleh is a poor head coach. He's more cheerleader than leader. His pressers are very cringe. Pretty stark contrast between him and Stefanski. Him and the GM remaining are due to Rodgers signing up to play for them and not getting a chance to do that this year. They do have poor ownership as well. In a lot of ways, the Jets are the new Browns.

If Rodgers was not a part of the equation, Saleh and Joe Douglas would have been gone and they'd be in the market for both a coach and GM.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Coach Firings - 01/12/24 11:41 PM
Where BB goes will be fascinating.

The Chargers have Herbert but somehow I don't see BB as a west coast guy.

Washington? Atlanta? The Titans have Will Levis that may be attractive.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 12:40 AM
As everyone knows New England hired Jerod Mayo as coach. They were saying on local sports radio that it was written in his contract so that's why he was hired. Now they're looking for a GM. Not the right thing to do. Didn't we do something like that once? How did that turn out? You hire the GM and he hires HIS coach. The Pats organization isn't what it used to be.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 11:45 AM
We hired Stefanski before we hired Berry. That seems to have worked out pretty well. I don't think it matters all that much.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 11:45 AM
If the GM/HC is not in sync and in any way incompatible.

It cannot work. There must be trust and respect.

That is why I am optimistic about the Browns future. AB and KS work well together. There is mutual respect and they trust each other to do their job.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
If the GM/HC is not in sync and in any way incompatible.

It cannot work. There must be trust and respect.

That is why I am optimistic about the Browns future. AB and KS work well together. There is mutual respect and they trust each other to do their job.

I agree. That trust and respect isn't dependent on hiring the GM first.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 12:36 PM
In a case like this it does not matter.

They are going to replace both HC and GM. So, make sure they can work together.

I remember when Marty was in SD and he did not get along with the GM. He got let go and he won I believe 12 games.

We have a good thing going. KS and AB appear seamless. They know their jobs and they know the other guy will do his job.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
In a case like this it does not matter.

They are going to replace both HC and GM. So, make sure they can work together.

I remember when Marty was in SD and he did not get along with the GM. He got let go and he won I believe 12 games.

We have a good thing going. KS and AB appear seamless. They know their jobs and they know the other guy will do his job.

This isn't me raining on the parade when I add that Haslam has played a huge part in this by providing an open checkbook to the FO...a big, fat, wide-open checkbook.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 04:21 PM
Dare we say Haslam has become a good owner?
Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 04:43 PM
He "became" a good owner many years ago.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 05:19 PM
And some people say they don't believe in evolution when they have witnessed it with their own eyes. naughtydevil

Let's not pretend he didn't suck at it when this whole thing started.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 06:26 PM
And some people say they don't believe in evolution when they have witnessed it with their own eyes. naughtydevil

Let's not pretend he didn't suck at it when this whole thing started.

I am sure John Lennon and Paul McCartney sucked pretty bad their first several years while learning to play guitar.

I have always said it isn't how it starts, it's how it ends.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 06:38 PM
I agree. Actually that's the point I was trying to make. I think from Stefanski to Berry to Haslam they have all gown as time has went on. It's been an evolutionary process. Without that process the Browns wouldn't be where they are now.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Dare we say Haslam has become a good owner?

The guy chose Hue Jackson over Sashi Brown and that (correct) FO direction so I won't absolve him just yet as it was only two regimes ago.

That said, he did bring back as many as he could in Berry, signed Stefanski who was the choice the first time around by everyone but John Dorsey, and kept Depo throughout the whole crap storm that was the Dorsey regime (what a clown). So, yeah, he's learning I suppose.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/13/24 07:14 PM
While at this point it's only a rumor I found it to be an interesting one.....

Chargers head coach rumors: L.A. set to interview Jim Harbaugh next week amid mounting interest
Harbaugh has reportedly indicated he could leave Michigan to take over in L.A.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nAXH6Y7SAPa6duSNpVm-hfbIozFTmfNAb3OOf4HE
Posted By: Knight Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 12:27 AM
After tonights perfomance we should pursue BB, our failure at the coaching level at this point should be evident for all to see.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by Knight
After tonights perfomance we should pursue BB, our failure at the coaching level at this point should be evident for all to see.

Shut up.
Posted By: Knight Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 12:57 AM

Shut up.
LoL!!
Posted By: Knight Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 01:05 AM

Shut up.
LoL!!
I want to hear you defend the 4th and 2 call on our own 30 half way through the third quarter being down 2 scores. Lot of football left to play but what the hell lets push all the chips in right now, all in baby!!
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 02:05 AM

Shut up.
LoL!!
I want to hear you defend the 4th and 2 call on our own 30 half way through the third quarter being down 2 scores. Lot of football left to play but what the hell lets push all the chips in right now, all in baby!!

I believe it was with 5 minutes left in the third. We were down 3 scores not 2. I’m good with the decision
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 02:29 AM
I agree with the decision as well.

But Stefanski does panic when the team is down. He treats just about every drive in those situations like it will be his last.
Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 02:40 AM

Shut up.
LoL!!

We were down three scores with 4 minutes left. Not that the facts matter.
Posted By: Knight Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 02:51 AM

Shut up.
LoL!!

No matter, defend it all you want. Your handing them points going for it that deep in your own territory. They out schemed us the whole game. We got ZERO points after halftime adjustments, Stephanski can't make adjustments and this has been the case all year.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 03:02 AM

Shut up.
LoL!!

No matter, defend it all you want. Your handing them points going for it that deep in your own territory. They out schemed us the whole game. We got ZERO points after halftime adjustments, Stephanski can't make adjustments and this has been the case all year.

Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 03:03 AM
Cool story. Let's go get Bill, he's 29-38 since Brady left.

BTW, I didn't defend anything, just corrected your b.s. exaggeration.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 03:12 AM
Glad we have stefanski.

The end.
Posted By: Knight Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 03:38 AM
Cool story. Let's go get Bill, he's 29-38 since Brady left.

BTW, I didn't defend anything, just corrected your b.s. exaggeration.

LoL!
Posted By: Knight Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Glad we have stefanski.

The end.
As the saying goes, there's always next year.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 05:07 PM
Let's see you defend firing a HC who won 11 games and led a team to the playoffs having to start four different QB's in order to hire a different HC that led his team to 4-13.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 05:59 PM
Let's see you defend firing a HC who won 11 games and led a team to the playoffs having to start four different QB's in order to hire a different HC that led his team to 4-13.

Winning coaches get fired all the time. Lovie Smith had a 10-6 record with the Bears the season he was fired at season's end. He had a 9-year record of 81-63 at .563 (better than Stefanski's 4-year record). Lovie had 3 playoff appearances while winning the NFC North 3 times (none for Stefanski) and had 1 Super Bowl appearance. Lovie had 3 more years of NFL HC experience with TBB (2) and HOU (1) never finishing better than 6-10. Though winning is important, having the ability to get your team to win those big games that will get you over the top is equally important. I would suspect that's the exact reason why rumors are flying around about a coaching change coming in PHI and/or DAL if they lose this weekend.

That's the big question now, does Stefanski really have the ability to take the Browns to the next level - so far, not so much.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 06:07 PM
Yeah, with Flacco and a decimated roster, not so much. So you wish to bring up one of only a very few times it's even happened in the NFL? I think thou doest protest too much. "Look, I found an anomaly!"
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Coach Firings - 01/14/24 06:29 PM
Yeah, with Flacco and a decimated roster, not so much. So you wish to bring up one of only a very few times it's even happened in the NFL? I think thou doest protest too much. "Look, I fond an anomaly!"

With all this talk the last few weeks about KS being a candidate for Coach of the Year you'd think he'd be safe from all the BS talk about getting fired. How man coaches faced the injury mess he did and still came out with an 11-6 record and a playoff spot with 5 different QB's and RB by committee?

Just a guess on my part, but I'd say Kevin is safe. I do suspect they will go out and get a REAL OC.. I just think that he being both the HC and OC (I know, not in title) is just a bit too much. I do hope that Schwartz is staying put.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/15/24 12:24 AM
It’ll be interesting to see if Dallas has an opening after getting drubbed at home. Jerry doesn’t like to be embarrassed.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Coach Firings - 01/15/24 01:05 AM
Just a guess on my part, but I'd say Kevin is safe.

You're really going out on a limb, there.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Coach Firings - 01/15/24 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by jfanent
Just a guess on my part, but I'd say Kevin is safe.

You're really going out on a limb, there.

I was speaking of "safe from the BS talk"!

Of course he's not getting fired.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/15/24 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255

Winning coaches get fired all the time. Lovie Smith had a 10-6 record with the Bears the season he was fired at season's end. He had a 9-year record of 81-63 at .563 (better than Stefanski's 4-year record). Lovie had 3 playoff appearances while winning the NFC North 3 times (none for Stefanski) and had 1 Super Bowl appearance. Lovie had 3 more years of NFL HC experience with TBB (2) and HOU (1) never finishing better than 6-10. Though winning is important, having the ability to get your team to win those big games that will get you over the top is equally important. I would suspect that's the exact reason why rumors are flying around about a coaching change coming in PHI and/or DAL if they lose this weekend.

That's the big question now, does Stefanski really have the ability to take the Browns to the next level - so far, not so much.

Wow!!! You really want to fire the possible coach of the year. A coach that dealt with more injury issues this year than any other team and still got that team to the playoffs? I really believe that at the start of the season the Browns had the best roster in the NFL. Thank you Andrew Berry!!! Then the injuries piled up. That great roster that Berry pit together couple with very good game plans each week by Stefanski this team found a way to get to the post season.

Let's not forget Stefanski found a way to beat the Niners with PJ Walker. They beat the Ravens at Baltimore with a Houston Texans practice squad Left Tackle and a 3rd string right tackle. The season did not end the way we wanted. But it sure went better than it really should have. That was Stefanski coaching that did that. Stay healthy and this team would have had home field and would still be in playoffs this year.
Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/15/24 02:46 PM

Wow!!! You really want to fire the possible coach of the year. A coach that dealt with more injury issues this year than any other team and still got that team to the playoffs? I really believe that at the start of the season the Browns had the best roster in the NFL. Thank you Andrew Berry!!! Then the injuries piled up. That great roster that Berry pit together couple with very good game plans each week by Stefanski this team found a way to get to the post season.

Let's not forget Stefanski found a way to beat the Niners with PJ Walker. They beat the Ravens at Baltimore with a Houston Texans practice squad Left Tackle and a 3rd string right tackle. The season did not end the way we wanted. But it sure went better than it really should have. That was Stefanski coaching that did that. Stay healthy and this team would have had home field and would still be in playoffs this year.

Lovie was fired after starting the season 7-1 and then missing the playoffs for the fifth time in six years.

Not that the actual context matters when you can cherry-pick some of your endless, mindless stats. With that said... the Bears went on to ONE winning season in the next eleven.

Any other dazzling stats to support firing Stefanski?

How 'bout some more "winning coaches are fired all the time" examples...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 12:24 AM
j/c...

Posted By: JimDawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 12:45 AM
How much longer are they going to prop up Tomlin?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 03:18 AM
Posted By: Knight Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 03:52 AM
He didn't lead us to the playoffs, Flacco did. If not for Flacco we would still be running flea flickers with DTR and double reverses.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 05:26 AM
He didn't lead us to the playoffs, Flacco did. If not for Flacco we would still be running flea flickers with DTR and double reverses.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]
Posted By: bonefish Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 12:21 PM
That is a ridiculous comment.

You may as well say eleven wins were given to the team and there was no head coach.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 04:51 PM

Shut up.
LoL!!

Facts don't matter for your argument? Sounds about right.

It was getting later in the game, and the defense had plenty of time to settle in and they didn't. The engine that had brought the team this far (the defense) was playing like crap. He tried something other than handing it back to their offense who was probably going to march right back down the field.

I'm curious what you think the proper adjustment should've been. Your defense (the reason you're here in the first place) is having a bad day. Your #5 and #6 OTs are getting smoked when they pass block and you haven't had a run game since like halfway through the season. So what is this magical adjustment that KS failed to do?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 04:55 PM

KS coached his tail off this year. Making the playoff was "the next level" given the injuries this year. Our starting QB and LT (off the top of my head) weren't on the team when the year kicked off.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 06:04 PM

I'm glad Falcco was making the play calls and running practices while preparing the team all week. I had no idea.
Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 08:17 PM

I'm glad Falcco was making the play calls and running practices while preparing the team all week. I had no idea.

I heard Flacco also taught the team how to apply some of Mac's rehab procedures as well, helping players return to the field faster.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 08:22 PM
There may be something to that. I mean Flacco did stay healthy for six full starts. It had to be what they're calling "The Mac Magic!"
Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 08:24 PM
I mean, if you're going to believe he's the one exclusively responsible for the playoff run, may as well go all in.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 08:31 PM
Those criticizing Stefanski needs to keep this in mind. Joe Flacco was 1-9 in his last 10 starts before playing for the Browns. Stefanski coached Flacco to a 4-2 record as Browns starter. Those wanting to give Flacco all of the credit for the late season run and rob Stefanski of the credit for taking a badly beaten-up football team with the Texans practice squad player as Left Tackle, A Quarterback and Running Back that was not on an NFL roster to start the season on a late season playoof push might want to know that stat.

Flacco was not even on the team when Stefanski helped guide a team with a QB that had 0 TD's and 6 INT's to wins over the San Fransico 49ers and the Indianapolis Colts. Then if not for the defense giving up a late game TD a win on the road vs Seattle. All of those teams had winning records and 1 was the top seed in the NFC.

That is coaching. Plain and simple.

Deshaun Watson 4-1
Joe Flacco 4-2
PJ Walker 2-1
Dorian Thompson Robinson 1-2
Jeff Driskel 0-1
Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 08:46 PM
Don't forget the chess match against the Steelers. An absolute work of art from the coaching standpoint.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Coach Firings - 01/16/24 09:00 PM
I wonder if the Browns had a record of 7-10 or 8-9 this past season, if there would be so much controversy among fans. I think those records would have been more appropriate for all of our in-season injuries.

Since we made a late season run, more was expected because many fans assumed Flacco would continue to ball out. The Houston drubbing to me was what more games we could have experienced this past season. But we good plans by coaches and players gave a performance that exceeded the sum of their parts.

As with anything, I think some would rather lose than be wrong.

I had pointed out before to those that think Stefanski & Berry suck, that if they both suck, shouldn't we be 0-17.

If Berry is so bad at developing a roster, then Stefanski must be a good coach.

If Stefanski is a lousy coach, Berry would need to be a genius at player acquisition to produce the record we did.,
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Coach Firings - 01/17/24 03:19 AM
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/17/24 04:41 AM
I had pointed out before to those that think Stefanski & Berry suck, that if they both suck, shouldn't we be 0-17.

If Berry is so bad at developing a roster, then Stefanski must be a good coach.

If Stefanski is a lousy coach, Berry would need to be a genius at player acquisition to produce the record we did.,

[Linked Image from s3.amazonaws.com]
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Coach Firings - 01/18/24 02:02 AM
j/c...

Early 2024 NFL Season Predictions:

Cowboys lose in first round of playoffs.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/18/24 03:40 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/18/24 04:13 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Coach Firings - 01/18/24 06:58 PM

Hmmm......Chicago is looking at the USC QB coach for Offensive Coordinator AND they also have the #1 pick where they could draft USC QB Caleb Williams?
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Hammer Re: Coach Firings - 01/18/24 07:09 PM
Yes - things that make you go hmmmm...
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Coach Firings - 01/18/24 07:47 PM
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Coach Firings - 01/18/24 11:32 PM
I don't really get the Mitchell firing. All the RB's we have love the guy,. They appear to be willing to run through walls for him.... And they proved they can get the job done. I'm confused by this
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Coach Firings - 01/19/24 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I don't really get the Mitchell firing. All the RB's we have love the guy,. They appear to be willing to run through walls for him.... And they proved they can get the job done. I'm confused by this

100% agree. I don't like this one bit.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Coach Firings - 01/19/24 01:59 PM
I'm surprised that both Philly and Dallas are standing pat
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/19/24 02:22 PM
Agreed. Really have respect for him; not sure what had to be done better or differently, because I thought he was a high quality part of the coaching staff. What was a realistic expectation given the injury cards we were dealt this season? I am surprised and upset; this hardly seemed a step forward in any sense to me. He has reliably supplied some qualities like those you point out; his replacement has a high bar, and I wonder about the missing intangibles.
Thanks for your dedication and hard work, coach!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/19/24 05:19 PM
I don't know that I'm right here but based on my perspective of the history of coach firings maybe my viewpoint is a bit skeptical. Often times my perception of these things is that when an NFL FO fails in providing proper depth they blame the coach, certain coaches or even an entire coaching staff takes the fall for a lack of talent.

Of course in all honesty I can't predict how Jerome Ford, Pierre Strong or even John Kelly would have done with different coaching. So it could be that this FO feels that these RB's could have been better coached. But for them to believe that they must believe that they gave Mitchell good RB's and he lacked the ability to develop them and get the most out of them.

Whether it was Mitchell's failure to develop them or their lack of being competent NFL RB's is up to the opinion of each poster here. I can see how people may feel differently about that.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/19/24 05:44 PM
Saw a YT talking head segment say it was all over leaks.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coach Firings - 01/19/24 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Saw a YT talking head segment say it was all over leaks.

The irony there being that any knowledge of the sort would be the result of a leak.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Coach Firings - 01/25/24 12:20 AM
Harbaugh is going to the Chargers!!
Posted By: FATE Re: Coach Firings - 01/25/24 12:40 AM
Wow!

Sources: Jim Harbaugh accepts head-coaching job with Chargers

Kris Rhim, ESPN
Jan 24, 2024, 06:49 PM ET
LOS ANGELES -- Jim Harbaugh is leaving the national champion Michigan Wolverines to accept the head coaching job with the NFL's Los Angeles Chargers, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday.

Harbaugh has agreed to a five-year deal with the Chargers, sources told ESPN.

Harbaugh was considered among the Chargers' most desirable candidates in this coaching cycle because of his success at every level. Since his head coaching career began in 2006 at the University of San Diego, Harbaugh has had success at stops at Stanford, Michigan and in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers.

There's also Harbaugh's Chargers connection: he played quarterback for the team for two seasons (1999-2000).

As a collegiate coach, Harbaugh has a 144-42 record, winning three Big Ten championships and Michigan's first national title since 1997.

He was 86-25 at Michigan and restored college football's winningest program to relevance after it slipped over several seasons under Brady Hoke and Rich Rodriguez following the retirement of national-championship winning coach Lloyd Carr.

The rival Ohio State Buckeyes had an eight-game winning streak against the Wolverines until Harbaugh helped them snap the streak in 2021, leading to their first of three straight Big Ten titles and College Football Playoff appearances.

Following two straight losses in the semifinals, extending Harbaugh's winless streak in bowl games to six, Michigan outlasted Alabama at the Rose Bowl and pulled away from Washington to win the national championship with a school-record 15-0 mark this season.

Despite the ultimate triumph, it was a season filled with adversity for Harbaugh, who served two three-game suspensions in 2023. He missed the first three games due to an NCAA investigation into alleged recruiting violations in 2020, and he missed the final three games of the regular season following a sign-stealing scandal and the subsequent dismissal of staff member Connor Stalions.

Harbaugh spent four seasons (2011-14) as the coach of the 49ers from 2011 to 2014, and he was named the NFL's Coach of the Year in his first season. He led the 49ers to the Super Bowl XLVII, where they lost to the Baltimore Ravens who were coached by his brother John.

Harbaugh left the 49ers after the 2014 season with a 44-19-1 regular record.

The Chargers are scheduled to play the Ravens next season at SoFi Stadium, which now officially will be a matchup between John and Jim Harbaugh.

When Harbaugh took over the 49ers, he was rebuilding a team which had tumbled from the NFL's elite and missed the playoffs for eight straight seasons.

He will have a similar challenge with the Chargers, who finished 5-12 last season and have three playoff wins since 2008. Another task for Harbaugh will be deciding the construction of the Chargers' roster next season, as this team is projected to be $27.5 million over the league salary cap, according to ESPN's roster management system.

Harbaugh and the Chargers had been linked since the offseason began. Still, one of the potential challenges for the Harbaugh-Chargers reunion was if owner Dean Spanos was willing to pay Harbaugh a competitive salary, one that would lure him away from Michigan and other NFL teams.

While the Chargers have signed players to record-breaking contracts, the organization has developed a reputation for not paying coaches. The Spanos' have denied that claim, with team president John Spanos telling reporters in December that he didn't know where "narratives came from" and that the team has never had limitations with spending.

The Chargers fired coach Brandon Staley and general manager Tom Telesco on Dec. 15, following a 63-21 loss to the Las Vegas Raiders in Week 15.

The Chargers held an extensive search after firing Staley, interviewing a league-high 15 candidates. They began internally with interim head coach Giff Smith and offensive coordinator Kellen Moore before interviewing former Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, 49ers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan, Raiders DC Patrick Graham, Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan, former Titans coach Mike Vrabel, former Stanford coach David Shaw, Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn, Ravens offensive coordinator Todd Monken and Ravens defensive coordinator Mike MacDonald.

Staley finished his 48-game Chargers tenure with a .500 record, with one playoff appearance that ended in a historic loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39380148/sources-jim-harbaugh-accepts-head-coaching-job-chargers
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 01/25/24 06:09 PM
I guess an immunity clause in his contract at Michigan wasn't on the table.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Coach Firings - 02/09/24 05:35 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 02/09/24 05:52 PM
This is even more evidence why most NFL team owners aren't putting former RB's in charge of making executive decisions in NFL FO's across the league.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 02/14/24 09:52 PM
49ers' Kyle Shanahan decides to fire defensive coordinator Steve Wilks

SANTA CLARA, Calif. —

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan announced Wednesday on an impromptu conference call that he has fired defensive coordinator Steve Wilks.

The 54-year-old coach's tenure with the team ends after one season following the departure of DeMeco Ryans, who became the head coach of the Houston Texans. This news also comes one day after Shanahan told reporters that he expected all of his assistant coaches to return for next season.

https://www.ksbw.com/article/49ers-...fensive-coordinator-steve-wilks/46790932
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Coach Firings - 02/15/24 10:10 AM
I found it odd that one day Shannahan seemed to go to lengths to support Wilkes, then can him the next day.

Seems a little backasswards in the way that whole deal fell. It makes me wonder if something happened between the two events? Maybe some words between the two coaches? Maybe a "nudge" from management?
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Coach Firings - 02/15/24 03:28 PM
Wilks' career has really been on quite the roller coaster since 2018.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Coach Firings - 02/15/24 05:03 PM
I think Paul Depodesta told Jimmy to fire him and poof he was gone
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Coach Firings - 02/15/24 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I found it odd that one day Shannahan seemed to go to lengths to support Wilkes, then can him the next day.

It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Often times it seems that when a HC has to go public to support his staff it's right before people get fired. You know the old saying. "They love you until they don't".
© DawgTalkers.net