Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Legend
Legend
M

https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-expected-to-move-on-from-hc-ron-rivera-after-four-seasons (Link)

One of the most, if not the most, overrated HC is the past decade or so.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
yeah, he's been so below average

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I chuckle every time I hear Bill Simmons refer to him as Rowboat Ron.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Monday and next week in general will see coaching turnovers. It's an annual event. There is a meeting taking place here in Nashville with Vrabel and the top brass to determine the fate of Vrabel moving forward as well. We'll be hearing more of this in the upcoming days. Here are some that may be on the chopping block and there may even be a few other surprises sprinkled in....

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots.

Robert Saleh, New York Jets.

Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans.

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders.

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears.

Maybe Brandon Staley depending on the outcome of how the Jags game works out today.

Arthur Smith of Atlanta may be a contender.

The upcoming week should be an interesting one.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Monday and next week in general will see coaching turnovers. It's an annual event. There is a meeting taking place here in Nashville with Vrabel and the top brass to determine the fate of Vrabel moving forward as well. We'll be hearing more of this in the upcoming days. Here are some that may be on the chopping block and there may even be a few other surprises sprinkled in....

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots.

Robert Saleh, New York Jets.

Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans.

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders.

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears.

Maybe Brandon Staley depending on the outcome of how the Jags game works out today.

Arthur Smith of Atlanta may be a contender.

The upcoming week should be an interesting one.

UGH! Seven coaches, really hoped all the teams liked their HCs.

Inevitable, Part of the game

Now it's time for Jim Schwartz to start saying

No No No No No No and NO !!

P
Legend
Legend
P
That list by no means indicates they will all be fired. Just coaches that many think will be considered to be let go. It seems most years there are some coaches people expect to be fired that aren't and some coaches few expected to be fired that are. That's what will make next week so interesting. Nobody can be sure how it will all shake out.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Would it surprise you, if Vrabel ends up replacing Belichick in New England ?

I know it's early and like you said it's just list of posibilities.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It would slightly surprise me but not shock me. Vrabel has had a very bad season this year but then they've never given him a real QB. Under the conditions he has coached under, most seasons he has over performed.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree with the possibility of that list.

But I'm confused, Brandon Staley?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think New England is in the same situation at QB play as is Tennesee.

New England having the third overall pick might help Vrabel get his QB if he would end up there

I know this conversation is all speculation, just having a little fun with it

E
Legend
Legend
E
Staley was fired weeks ago. Where have you people been.

No Craps Given
B
Legend
Legend
B
That list by no means indicates they will all be fired. Just coaches that many think will be considered to be let go. It seems most years there are some coaches people expect to be fired that aren't and some coaches few expected to be fired that are. That's what will make next week so interesting. Nobody can be sure how it will all shake out.

In the end i think Vrabel sticks. The Titans are pretty much in control of the Jags at the moment.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by EveDawg

Stuck in a Crazy Browns Season Warp !

Beem me up Stefanski !

smile

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
J
Legend
Legend
J
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

Beem me up Stefanski !

smile

Pretty obvious they meant Pederson.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I think Arthur Smith is a no-brainer to be fired.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Need to clear his desk for Belichick.

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t end up there.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I think Arthur Smith is a no-brainer to be fired.

Definitely an obvious choice. Though he did make some staff changes two months ago by firing his mustache. So the change might buy him another year with the FO.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by JulesDawg
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

Beem me up Stefanski !

smile

Pretty obvious they meant Pederson.

Girl ! I miss you !

Legend
Legend
Arthur Smith is gone I agree

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Welcome back, Jules.
You've been missed.

(smiling ear-to-ear as I type)

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think he meant Doug Pederson, who I had mentioned as being a possible firing case in the playoffs forum. What a complete bed-crapping the Jags have done. 8-3 after Week 12 and they miss the playoffs. Lost 5 of the last 6 with the lone victory being against the worst team in the NFL.

Smith got fired already.

I don't think Saleh will be fired. He had a QB quagmire after their prized possession went down 4 plays into the season.

I'd list Eberflus as a maybe. I could see it either way.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think the following teams will be looking for new coaches:

Panthers
Commanders
Falcons
Patriots
Seahawks

and MAYBE:

Cowboys
Bills
Eagles

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
Though he did make some staff changes two months ago by firing his mustache.
Because even pedophiles said that looked 'too pedo'.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Tomlin's not on the hot seat anymore?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
IMO Tomlin never was on the hot seat ... only by the fans, not by his bosses

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's really amazing how fickle their fans are. I do think they have a "bloated" fan base because of their decades of winning. Mind you, I think they also have a very strong core group of fans as well (sk8termom included), giving them a very huge fan base. The problem is that the bandwagon faction - and even some of the core faction - are like a bunch of spoiled kids:

"You can have only one dessert tonight, instead of two."

"You are the worst parents ever! I want other parents!"

They got stuck in a rough situation because they couldn't figure out the QB after Ben retired. They couldn't figure out the QB because they never draft in a position to get a good one. Pickett looks like he won't work out, which is just the way of things. The fans wanted Tomlin fired as a result. Now that they're in the playoffs, it's all sunshine a rainbows. If they get a first round exit, then it'll be back to wanting Tomlin's head.

It's actually a hard situation for them to resolve. How do you get out of being perennially good, but not elite? Not too many teams can figure that out. Hell, New England has been irrelevant since Brady left. It seems Baltimore is the only team with the secret formula.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sadly, IMO a lot of coaches lose their jobs because of the failings of their FO. Their FO fails to get them the players, most often especially at the QB position and use their HC as the fall guy for their own shortcomings.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Legend
Legend
Sadly, IMO a lot of coaches lose their jobs because of the failings of their FO. Their FO fails to get them the players, most often especially at the QB position and use their HC as the fall guy for their own shortcomings.
It's why I finally feel like we have a good cohesion between our GM and coaching staff

P
Legend
Legend
P
They do. But that's much easier to do when you're winning. Even the past few seasons haven't been bad. How well an organization has continuity or cohesion only gets tested when things are going badly. Everyone loves a winner or a team that is at least competitive inside the organization. At least for the most part.

If things go south and the Browns were to start doing terribly I have no idea who the blame would fall on. Well, actually most of us should know. For anyone who has been reading the board the past few years we know it would be blamed on Stefanski. That didn't stop until he started winning games while they should have just made a QB jersey that said "PLACE NAME HERE" on it. Then suddenly everyone loved him.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Owners in most cases are terrible at hiring.

They make emotional decisions and they over react. Often they do not understand how important the GM and HC have to work together.

They look through the single lens of the record. Of course it is a wins and loses business. Sometimes that is all that counts. However, W's & L's do not always tell the total truth.

If the GM has roster control. You have to start there. The GM's make the decisions on what players stay or go. They make the decisions on FA signings. They make the trades. And they pick the players in the draft.

If the ingredients are rotten. You cannot make a good meal.

The head coach has to be evaluated by what he does with the roster he has.

This season you don't have to go out of the North. Tomlin and Stefanski were both outstanding.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
1 member likes this: Bard Dawg
#2053935 01/09/24 01:36 PM
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Milk Man #2053940 01/09/24 01:44 PM
Legend
Legend
well, he'll be the best candidate on the market

Milk Man #2053946 01/09/24 01:54 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think he ended up paying the price for the Titans FO lack of making the proper investment to get him a QB. A third round pick in 2022 for Malik Willis and a 2023 second round pick in Will Levis. Levis was a rookie and had some moments but not nearly enough of them. Vrabel won't be out if a job for long. This could impact what happens in New England. We'll just have to wait and see on that one.

#gmstrong
Milk Man #2053955 01/09/24 02:39 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wouldn't mind him at Ohio State.......

#gmstrong
2 members like this: Milk Man, jfanent
PitDAWG #2053956 01/09/24 02:42 PM
Legend
Legend
I think that a less Belichickian approach to offense would have taken them a long way, but QB definitely held them back. They have a ground & pound offense in a gunslinger world.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Milk Man #2053957 01/09/24 02:43 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Looks like Jags let go of their DC. I suppose some head had to roll with the finish they had. Just interesting that it's on that side of the ball...

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
I think that a less Belichickian approach to offense would have taken them a long way, but QB definitely held them back. They have a ground & pound offense in a gunslinger world.

While I certainly agree that was their offense I'm not sure there was any other realistic option when you had Tannehill as your QB. When all the FO gives you is Tannehill and two raw rookie draft picks and you have Derrick Henry I can't see how Vrabel could have done things much differently.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Coach Firings

Link Copied to Clipboard