DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 07:07 PM
Dead week in sports, this may spark some good conversation, and maybe interest people in new stuff. Stick with current shows.

1. South Park - probably been my favorite show since it debuted my sophomore year. I have to admit they have fallen off the last few years, but I still tune in every week.

2. The Walking Dead - I'm sure this one will pop up on several lists. I think it's the best show out there right now.

3. Ghost Hunters - I realize how corny some think it is, but I'm interested in their work. I do like that they present their findings/evidence to you and let you decide for yourself. They offer their own opinion but they don't jam it down your throat either. Plus, they check out some really awesome locations.

4. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Just recently got into this show and I can't believe how I missed out on this? Good news is I have so much catching up to do.

5. Impractical Jokers - I think everyone would enjoy this show. If you've never seen an episode. These 4 friends who all came up together as a comedy group go out into public one at a time and the other 3 force them to do entirely stupid/awkard/offensive things. It works out as a game where you get a mark if you don't get the right result, and the guy with the most at the end has to do something embarrassing and stupid. It's mindless fun.

Honorable mention to Catfish, Key and Peele, tosh.0, and Homeland.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 07:09 PM
1a. The Walking Dead

1b. Breaking Bad

2. Game of Thrones

I have no others.
Posted By: PDR Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 07:11 PM
Don't watch that many shows that currently air.

Mad Men, Parks & Rec, Louie, recently watched the new Arrested Development episodes.

I watch Dexter, though I don't know why. It's not that good. But I watch.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 07:12 PM
Shows that are still running (not canceled or ended)

1) Game of Thrones

2) Walking Dead

3) Big Bang Theory

4) Justified

5) Falling Skies
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 07:16 PM
Quote:

Don't watch that many shows that currently air.

Mad Men, Parks & Rec, Louie, recently watched the new Arrested Development episodes.

I watched the first season of Dexter and it was alright, but I haven't had the urge to ever watch any beyond that.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 07:18 PM
1. Walking Dead
2. Breaking Bad
3. Suits, Just started again last night
4. Longmire
Posted By: PDR Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 07:19 PM
Quote:

I watched the first season of Dexter and it was alright, but I haven't had the urge to ever watch any beyond that.

Season 1 was alright. Season 2 was good. Season 3 was awful. Season 4 was fantastic. The rest have been pretty bad.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 07:35 PM
I have 7 seasons of Dexter to watch, 2 seasons of Scandel, 3 seasons of Game of Thrones, 3 seasons of Nikita, 1 season of Vikings, 5 seasons of Nurse Jackie, 1 season of Copper.

I don't think I will ever catch up.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 07:48 PM
Quote:

I have 7 seasons of Dexter to watch, 2 seasons of Scandel, 3 seasons of Game of Thrones, 3 seasons of Nikita, 1 season of Vikings, 5 seasons of Nurse Jackie, 1 season of Copper.

I don't think I will ever catch up.

That is what winter bike riding indoors was for me.... nothing but time to pedal away for hours and watch an entire season of a TV series in just a about one week.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
Posted By: IRE 45 Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 08:08 PM
1. Walking Dead

2. Newsroom / Southland

3. Falling Skies

4. Boardwalk Empire

5. Game of Thrones
Posted By: Mantis Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 08:09 PM
My advice: don't watch those shows. It's not worth the time. And I should probably take my own advice, but here is my list:

1. The Wire
2. The Sopranos
3. Mad Men
4. The Simpsons (first ten seasons)
5. Seinfeld
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 08:18 PM
1) Walking Dead
2) Game of Thrones
3) Revolution

Beyond that there is nothing I set aside time to watch or record. I watch a lot of History, H2, Disc, Military, etc.

I have been catching "Under The Dome" which has been decent, not great, but decent.

Looking forward to a few fall shows coming up:

Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on ABC
and The 100 on CW
Posted By: columbusdawg Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 08:24 PM
1. Breaking Bad
2. Walking Dead
3. Person of Interest
4. Falling Skies
5. Revolution
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 08:31 PM
1. Breaking Bad - Only 8 more sodes to go!
2. Pardon the Interuption - I've watched since it came on & I still think it's great.
3. Wilfred - "Dude, I'm fat"
4. Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman - I like shows that challenge my weak brain
5a(tie). The Big Bang Theory - I didn't want to like it, but it's too well written
5b(tie). Sons of Anarchy - It's a little too "soap opera" for me, but it's kinda cool.

And sports (though I quit Sportscenter a while back - like 5 years ago).
Posted By: logdawg Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 08:46 PM
1.) Parks & Recreation
2.) Big Bang Theory
3.) Modern Family
4.) The Americans
5.) Suits
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 09:13 PM
If we are talking all time then shows like Curb your enthusiasm and The Sopranos would crack my top 5.

The only shows on to watch right now are dexter and gordon ramsay.

For those that are still new.

1. Breaking Bad. I love this show and have no idea what is going to happen this season.

2. It's Always Sunny . Really has lost its mark the last few seasons but the first four or so are amazing. Ps charlie day is in the movie horrible bosses which is an outstanding comedy i highly recommend. Seriously watch that movie if you like Charlie.

3. Dexter - seasons 1-2 and season 4 are awesome. I am excited for this last season. It isnt the best show ever but I suspect the ending will be satisfying.

4. Masterchef - I love gordon ramsay. And the format of this show really has a bunch of people making unique dishes every episode rather than beef wellington and risotto all day. My favorite cooking show to date.

5. Big Bang Theory- I hated this show when I first saw it. Much like House my enjoyment of it revolves entirely around Sheldon. Probably my favorite character on television surrounded by a fairly unmemorable cast.

Rounding out the rest are louie, archer, conan, the seth mcfarlane cartoons, community, south park(top 3 in the past), workaholics. I watch a few others, clearly too much, gilbert gottfried in comedy central roasts had me laughing for hours last week. The wire is the only show I havent seen right now on my must see list.
Posted By: rockdogg Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 09:23 PM
I liked the Brit version of The Office

Antiques Roadshow

American Experience

Indians Baseball

Daily Show
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 09:58 PM
1. Burn Notice - Sad to see this is the final season, but it was/is still a great show.
2. Red Eye - Seen on FOX NEWS at 3AM weekdays. Thank God for DVR capabilities.
3. psych - Funny as hell.
4. Rizzoli and Isles - Two of my favorite actresses, Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander are on the same show.
5. Southland - Intense cop show.
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 10:05 PM
60 Minutes
Symon's Suppers
Giada at Home
Saturday Night Live
Rehab Addict

Those are the 5 shows we DVR and usually watch at dinner time. I also love Breaking Bad and will watch that when it returns. My wife watches Mad Men but I just can't get into it.
Posted By: PDR Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 10:09 PM
If we're doing all-time favorites, "The Wire" is the best show ever. Hands down. It's the closest thing to The Great American Novel we have.

"The Sopranos" is up there, as well.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 10:12 PM
Also forgot Sons of Anarchy, also since 24 has a new season next year that will be set as well.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 10:22 PM
Game of Thrones - Far and away the best. It's not really fair to compare any other shows to this one since it has a six million dollar per episode budget.

Dexter - Intense beginning to the season, can't wait to see how this ends.

Breaking Bad - simply one of the best

The Walking Dead - It lost points for how lame the governers story ended, and the 2nd half of the season was kind of a let down after how great the first 8 episodes were.

Shameless - Too funny is all I have to say

One to look out for:
Ray Donovan - Jon Voight has been great in the first 3 episodes, I would recommend giving this show a look.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/17/13 10:47 PM
In no particular order

NCIS
Suits
Castle
Person of Interest
Franklin and Bash
Cover Affairs
Royal Pains

And lately I've gotten hooked on Under the Dome..
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 12:08 AM
Breaking Bad. Thinking it may end up being my favorite show ever.

A Game of Thrones. Love the books. Can't believe how good its being adapted.

The Killing. I hear ratings for season 3 are low. I think its still great.

The Americans. Can't wait to see where its going.

The Venture Brothers. God's gift to fanboys.

Honorable Mention: Boardwalk Empire, Louie, American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Family Tree, Curb Your Enthusiasm, True Blood, Dexter (These last 2 have jumped the shark. Can't wait for them to end)
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 12:20 AM
When I created the Walking Dead thread, it didn't get much traction. Now it's on everyone's list.

If you had asked me 2 months ago what my favorite current show is it would have been Walking Dead. But with the disappointment of Season 3 and finally getting around to watching Breaking Bad, I'm bumping Walking Dead to #2. So here are mine in order:

1. Breaking Bad - Can't wait for the last 8 episodes. I'm just bummed that I will have to wait a week in between each one.

2. Walking Dead - Awesome show. Hope season 4 is better than season 3.

3. Sons of Anarchy - Can't wait for season 5.

4. The Following - For a standard cable show, they hit on a nice formula that isn't the same old, same old lawyer/cop rehash that seems to be every show on every standard station. You don't know what's going to happen from week to week, and it doesn't hurt that they got a big star to play the lead.

5. Just started Game of Thrones so don't really have an opinion other than I'm just so-so on it right now. I'm not a big medieval kind of guy. Would also like to start The Wire and 24.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 12:20 AM
Walking dead
Big Bang theory
Ncis

Will watch game of thrones on DVD once I read the books
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 01:49 AM
1) Dexter
2) Breaking Bad
3) Shameless
4) The Walking Dead
5a.) House of Lies
5b.) Ray Donovan (giving a chance. Entertained, but haven't formed a strong opinion of the show yet)

Just missed top 5... Justified, Homeland & Sons of Anarchy, Arrested Development (netflix)

Shows on list to watch: Game of Thrones
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 02:03 AM
Quote:

1. Burn Notice - Sad to see this is the final season, but it was/is still a great show.
2. Red Eye - Seen on FOX NEWS at 3AM weekdays. Thank God for DVR capabilities.
3. psych - Funny as hell.
4. Rizzoli and Isles - Two of my favorite actresses, Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander are on the same show.
5. Southland - Intense cop show.

Teah I'll watch Rizzoli and Isles if I run across it just for Angie.

I want to add Sons of Anarchy to my current list, forgot it.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 02:49 AM
There's not a tremendous that I actively search out to watch on TV.

I like Counting Cars, because his crew does some amazing stuff with some real wrecks. The prices me pays for some stuff makes me wish I had kept some of the beaters I had in the past though.

I enjoy American Restoration, again because he restores some destroyed items to incredible shape. I love some of the old items that I saw in my youth. (man I sound really old now ..... but I guess I'm getting there)

Top Gear on BBC America is a fun show. They do some cool stuff, like converting cars into car/boats, and such ..... and it's always fun.

I love Doctor Who. My favorite show on TV. Unfortunately it's off until Christmas.

I also enjoy Restaurant Impossible, and Kitchen Nightmares, though they are heavy, heavy, heavy on formula.

I like some of the renovation shows on HGTV and DIY Network. I can't do that kind of stuff anymore, but I enjoy seeing how a property can go from awful to fantastic, often in just a half an hour.
Posted By: AC001 Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 02:59 AM
I watch way too much tv to just list 5.

For action/dramas I would probably say:

1. 24 ( my favorite show ever)
2. Dexter ( I actually enjoyed every season except 3)
3. Breaking Bad
4. Homeland
5. Prison Break
6. Burn Notice
7 Fringe
8. Arrow ( only been on 1 season, but I really enjoyed the 1st season)

Comedies:

1. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (1st 5 seasons are fantastic)
2. South Park
3. Arrested Developement
4. Parks and Recreation
5,. The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

Then in no particular order I also really enjoy Louie, Family Guy , Workaholics, Tosh.0, The League, Psych, Community, 30 Rock, and I'm probably forgetting a bunch more,
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 03:31 AM
1. Vikings
2. Modern Family
3. How I Met Your Mother
4. Big Bang Theory
5. Jeopardy
Posted By: Spawn1 Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 09:52 AM
Current shows

1. The Walking Dead. Most compelling show on TV. It's one of the few shows that has me on the edge of my seat every week.
2. Copper. It's on BBC America. Very good period piece about police in Civil War New York.
3. Arrow. It's kinda corny, but I like the superhero drama.
4. Regular Show. My kids turned me on to this and it is the funniest show on TV.
5. Haven. I couldn't think on another show, so I stuck this one in there. It's entertaining

All time favs

1. Battlestar Galactica. The new one is one of the best written shows of all time.
2. Barney Miller. This is one of the funniest shows of all time.
3. The Walking Dead. See above
4. Seinfeld. I watch the reruns and they are still just as funny as they were the first time I saw them.
5. Star Trek TNG. I know it was slow to start, but I think it really evolved into something great.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 12:40 PM
Quote:

When I created the Walking Dead thread, it didn't get much traction. Now it's on everyone's list.

I had to refrain from even looking at your topic, because we were behind in episodes. I still haven't watched the last two.

My girlfriend likes the show but won't watch them without me, and we work opposite schedules.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 12:44 PM
Quote:

A lot of us record and watch later, so we don't want spoilers so I stayed out until I caught up. :P
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 01:00 PM
I have yet to watch a Walking Dead episode.

Zombies just don't do it for me.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 01:52 PM
Sounds like I need to start watching The Wire and the new Battlestar Galactica (after Breaking Bad).
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 02:14 PM
Quote:

...Rizzoli and Isles if I run across it just for Angie.

OK. I'll be more than happy with Sasha. Also:
Defiance
NCIS
Documentaries
National Geographic, etc...
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 02:43 PM
Off the top of my head, some shows i watch:

Big Bang Theory
Duck Dynasty
Ghost Hunters
Restaurant Impossible
Tanked
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 02:59 PM
Andy Griffith
Everybody Loves Raymond
Big Bang Theory
Law and Order (SVU)
Turner Classic Movies (Any)
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 03:23 PM
Quote:

In no particular order

NCIS
Suits
Castle
Person of Interest
Franklin and Bash
Cover Affairs
Royal Pains

Forgot all about Burn Notice and Graceland.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 03:55 PM
I saw a few people mention Southland. I gotta say that show was surprisingly good. I haven't watched more than a few episodes, I usually only catch it when I am flipping around. I may have to see if I can go on-demand with that.
Posted By: Heat33 Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/18/13 11:09 PM
No particular order:

The Walking Dead
Big Bang Theory
NCIS
Person of Interest
The Mentalist
Falling Skies
Survivor

Hey, that's more than 5
Posted By: Heat33 Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/19/13 11:22 AM
I don't post all that much, but I have noticed once I do I am the 'Thread Killer'. I have a knack for it.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/19/13 12:03 PM
My winners in no particular order (depends on wife having the remote for a few):

1) NCIS (but not LA!)
2) Ancient Aliens (I am hooked!)
3) Duck Dynasty
4) Mad Money
5) Big Bang Theory
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/19/13 12:05 PM
Let's see it probably looks something like this right now.

1. Dexter (I've loved every season of this show. Everyone on it is just such a good actor, especially Hall. Also it's always fun to see him play a role like this that is so different from what he did on Six Feet Under).
2. Breaking Bad (can't wait to see how it ends)
3. Mad Men (Still catching up on Netflix)
4. Under the Dome (this show kicks ass)
5. Not enough time/Ultimate Survival Alaska
Posted By: MrTed Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/21/13 03:00 AM
Quote:

Yeah...that's not concerning at all!
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/21/13 04:22 AM
Glad you started this thread!!!

My below list is NOT my fav top 5 TV shows of all time, but more recently, let's say in the last 5 years or so.

1. Spartacus. GREAT series!!! Highly recommended. Best show on TV since The Sopranos. Spartacus is not safe to watch with your kids... or even most women. It's a man's show. Sex & violence.... Heavy on the violence. I've never seen more killing in a show in my life, ever. But it's not that, per say, that I like. The plots and storyline are great. Deep. Still haven't seen the final season so please, don't post any spoilers here without a 'spoiler alert.' Thanks.

2. Arrested Development. Just about finishing up the second season. Who are the lunatics that write this show? I LOVE IT!!! VERY funny show and I personally cannot stand most regular TV comedies. 'Funniest show since Seinfeld.' Narrated by Ron Howard (Richie Cunningham) of Happy Days. Recommended!!!

3. Shameless. Another funny show, but in a disturbing way. Father is a sociopathic alcoholic. His whole family has to support HIM. I think I've seen two or three seasons of this show so far. (I get pretty much everything from the library, so still waiting for the last season to come out.)

4. Dexter. Yes, Dexter is pretty good too, but some of the writing (- or lines) are a bit subpar, even stupid at times. Haven't seen the last season or two but will when the library gets them in. We all like Dexter.

5. Breaking Bad. GREAT show! Started off a bit slow the first season, but given time this show just KILLS. Haven't seen this last/final season, but will see it on DVD when the rest of the episodes finish up and it comes out.
Posted By: Molly Hatchet Dawg Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 07/21/13 02:10 PM
Quote:

Quote:

In no particular order

NCIS
Suits
Castle
Person of Interest
Franklin and Bash
Cover Affairs
Royal Pains

Forgot all about Burn Notice and Graceland.

Graceland is growing on me. Good stuff so far.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 08/12/13 06:53 PM
Just started watching Trailer Park Boys over the last few weeks. I can't believe I missed out on this gem of a show.

All the seasons are on Netflix streaming too.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 08/12/13 07:03 PM
1. Seinfeld
2. Simpsons (Season 1-8; went down hill after that and turned into trash after ~season 10)
3.. Doug (Nickelodeon version)
4. Mad Men
5. Star Trek TNG

Pawn Stars honorable mention.

Also I may have missed it, but I'm shocked by the lack of Seinfeld in here.

Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 08/12/13 07:45 PM
i tried to limit it to current stuff, although some people put shows that were off the air. No biggie.
Posted By: hitt Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 08/12/13 08:21 PM
Opinion of an old goat- Blue Bloods, NCIS, Sherlock Holmes-new series-forget name-old guy sorry, Dancing with Stars, Seinfeld reruns-AND old westerns IF they were on, like Maverick, Have Gun will Travel, Wagon Train, Paladin, etc....black and white oldies......GO Browns!!!!
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 08/12/13 08:48 PM
ahh I see. Guess it helps to read the whole post

Seinfeld is still in syndication.......

In that case:

1. Mad Men
2. Pawn Stars
3. Futurama
4. Bar Rescue
5. Justified
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 08/12/13 09:09 PM
1. Breaking Bad - I've never been so addicted to any show. When I first started watching this on Netflix, my personal sleep took a back seat to fitting in "just one more episode"
2. Top Gear (BBC) - Seriously entertaining and funny.
3. Family Guy - Seth Macfarlane is brilliant
4. Spartacus - Compelling story lines to go along with an outrageous amount of violence and sex
5. Cheers - That wonderful half hour where you knew everyone's name and felt like you were sitting at the bar next to Norm.
Posted By: Punchsmack Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 08/12/13 09:23 PM
Cheers, that's a show I can finally start watching again. I watched most of them live and then tons of re-runs. I got to a point where I couldn't watch a single second because it was so played out in my head. It was probably 15+ years ago when I last watched a Cheers. A few months ago I caught a few on during the day because I work from home a lot and found myself laughing. It's fresh again.

Seinfeld is something I can't watch now. I'd rather watch just about anything else. And I think it's the best sitcom of all time too.

Once Breaking Bad is over and maybe the newest season of SOA, if I can make it through another full year, I'll get into The Wire and maybe Battelstar. We'll see.
Posted By: Dawg Duty Re: Top 5 favorite TV shows - 08/12/13 10:54 PM
Dexter, Ray Donavan, True Blood, Walking Dead , Boardwalk Empire Longmire
© DawgTalkers.net