DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish Aging - 04/20/23 01:47 PM
This week I went to visit a close friend of mine who lost his wife recently.

We have been close friends for over 45 years. He is originally from Morocco. We have shared many life experiences together.

I went over to his house and we hung out most of the day and then went out for dinner.

On my way home I began thinking about our day together and some things I had observed. I came to the conclusion that he is slipping. He is 77.

"Estimates vary, but experts report more than 7 million people ages 65 or older had dementia in 2020. If current demographic and health trends continue, more than 9 million Americans could have dementia by 2030 and nearly 12 million by 2040." Those are big numbers.

He displayed a few of the early signs.

I know the signs and I test myself on a regular basis. I began taking Spanish lessons on line to test cognitive retention ability. I show no signs at all. I have had excellent health all my life and a day does not go by that I don't recognize how fortunate I am.

I have a small circle of friends that has become smaller in the last few years. Part of the deal of aging.

Given the numbers dealing with dementia personally or as a care giver is most likely going to touch your life.

I think it something that everyone should be aware of. So you are more prepared and knowledgeable about how to deal with it.
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 04/20/23 02:34 PM
I was actually considering starting a similar thread, but it was more complaining about silly things. Gray nose hairs, my ears being the only fertile ground for new hair, the eyebrows! damn, I could weave a wig, etc...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It started with teasing back and forth between my wife and I. It's become a slow realization that we both are "slipping" cognitively. Nothing I'm worried about, just the simple remembering discussions from day to day. I'm in my mid-fifties, she's soon to be 50. It's easy for a 'guy' to say, "eh, I never pay more than half-attention to her mumbo-jumbo anyway', and brush it off. But there is more to it... like things that you know you are supposed to remember but still forget. She has been forgetting complete conversations that are less than 72 hours old. I'm actually considering nootropics in addition to more mental exercises.

Definitely having a few psychological issues with my own mortality, need to 'get my head straight' in more ways than one.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/20/23 03:13 PM
The numbers I posted on dementia are most likely underestimated.

Many people become isolated and become homebound. One of the signs is withdrawing from people.

When seniors lose those close to them. It begins a process of slowly becoming isolated. That in itself accelerates the process.

Again I count my lucky stars. I live with my daughter and my two grandsons. One is ten the other sixteen. I have a son as well who I am very close too.

It is like I have raised two generations. I use to coach baseball and have always enjoyed being around kids. I have no problem being Mr. Taxi and being involved in my grandsons daily lives. It keeps me fresh. I love taking them on trips of wonderment like National Parks. Seeing them experience the wonders in the world for the first time.

My biggest fear about aging has always been that of becoming dependent upon others. Having to be cared for and losing my independence. It motivates me to be very health conscious. I eat right. I exercise on very regular schedule. I have been a lap swimmer for over 13 years. I average over two miles a week. It has kept me from any type of weight issues.

Basically I perform preventive maintenance.

However, I have a an older sister and a younger brother. Both have health issues related to aging.

All of us will slip some as time passes. But there are many things you can do to help yourself.

One is being aware of what to look for and do what you can to slow your clock.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 04/20/23 04:56 PM
At a break at work so don’t have time to get into it… but my dad is starting to show signs… I’m heading home to Ohio this summer to see him and have discussions with my siblings on how to move forward as his dementia likely progresses.
Generally speaking, dementia isn’t typical in our family but…
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/20/23 05:09 PM
It is a difficult topic.

It is gut wrenching and hard to face. I am sure with your profession you must see it often.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Aging - 04/20/23 05:50 PM
A lot of the women on my Dad's side of the family get dementia/alzheimers. I have one copy of the gene, so I have an increased chance of getting it. Sucks.

Stay active/get exercise
Exercise your brain
Eat healthy - no junk food, whole/clean food
Take supplements

That's my strategy to stay young and keep a young brain.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Aging - 04/20/23 11:43 PM
I retired in 2019. I turn 66 tomorrow. I try and keep busy/active as much as I can.
However, in the last year or so I've developed an oops "forgot this, forgot that, etc, thing."

Go downstairs for something from the kitchen......

20% of the time I get there......
.....hmmm, now what did I come down here for?

.......go back upstairs......sit down, and, oh yea, that's right.....

Head back down.....

Other things as well. "Drat, gotta look for my phone again." I must look for my phone 3-4 times a day.

"Now where did I put that thing"??? willynilly
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Aging - 04/21/23 12:45 PM
Happy, happy joy, joy! Thought I would tell you twice so you remember one LOLetc. Helps me. Happy birthday, and many happy returns! I do this too. Do not weaken just yet.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 04/21/23 01:07 PM
I take all the tests every year. Sometimes I remember all 3 random words, sometimes not. I think mostly because I don't care all that much about the test.

I do have some problem with recall, but nothing I consider a big issue. We all at some point have that problem to a degree. Face it, the longer you live, the more you have to recall.

As for losing friends, I hear you, but, in the big scheme, 72- 92, it's 20 years but in reality, it is a couple blinks of the eye. You just never know.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 04/21/23 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by FATE
Definitely having a few psychological issues with my own mortality, need to 'get my head e w' in more ways than one.

Don't worry about it my friend. That isn't to say to ignore things that can be corrected to some degree. We all reach a point where we actually face mortality. For me it was at the point where contemporaries of mine were passing away from somewhat "normal" things and not freak accidents. Usually in your 40's somewhere.

None of us come out of this alive, so once you grasp that, you are better off. We aren't facing something that billions of other people haven't faced.

I look at facing mortality as an awaking. We face several of those in our life, and that is one of the most important ones. Rather than live with the fear/unknown in that, find the peace in that.

Life is energy, and at least according to some smart people, energy never goes away. The conservation of energy. The isolated system as we know, the human body, moves on. To what? That is a conversation for another thread.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/21/23 03:41 PM
Not so much about the number as it is about how you reach the number.

Quality of life.

I spoke to my younger brother the other day and he told me about a friend we grew up with. Said he had dementia.

He explained it was a bad situation because there really is nobody to help care for him.

I have seen people slide fast. They were ok and then they really needed help and the burden it put on family members.

At that point they do not know what is happening. They are unaware of the logistics and care requirements.

My situation is fine. It is my friends and family I worry about.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Aging - 04/21/23 04:34 PM
I can see it starting with my dad as well. Just a little slipping with memory (especially stuff he SHOULD know). I also worry about inactivity and not a lot of brain exercising, which I would imagine makes it more difficult to overcome the aging process
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/21/23 06:55 PM
My mother lived till 96 and remained healthy.

She became a Master bridge player. She traveled all over and entered contract bridge tournaments. That helped keep her in social contact and exercised her brain.

Exercise both physical and mental is really important. Inactivity and isolation accelerate decline.

Makes perfect sense.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Aging - 04/21/23 07:15 PM
I personally can recommend Tai Chi as you age. Breathing helped, BP down, low-key workout, just upside in a lot of directions. Balance is vital. Check it out some. For me it had measurable benefits on medical tests to complement anecdotal impressions I could offer. We offer free classes at a community senior service center.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/21/23 09:47 PM
Interesting that you mentioned Tai Chi. At one time it was only taught to royal families as a way to prolong life.

I took Tai Chi many years ago from a Chinese Tai Chi Master. He spoke no English.

In many ways it is mysterious. If you know nothing about it and just watch someone doing it. You would think how in the hell can help you?

However, when you do it. You find out quickly. It moves your blood through your body. Your circulation improves dramatically. Balance and core muscles strengthen. All about the power of "chi."

I have issues with arthritis in my feet now so I can't do it.

I do some yoga. Not a bunch but I have been doing four back exercise poses for over 40 years. I do a few light weight curls and presses.
But my main exercise is lap swimming.

I wish I could do Tai Chi. I loved it when I did it. I think it is really good for you.
Posted By: JPPT1974 Re: Aging - 04/22/23 02:52 AM
I used to really dread growing older and aging. But it is just a number. As I had in the working out every single day at home and in the gym. Trying to eat salads each and every single day. Take vitamins and medication.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Aging - 04/22/23 02:58 AM
I just hit 60 today. Age may be just a number, but it's getting bigger every year. crazy
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Aging - 04/22/23 06:25 AM
I think my work is a big benefit. It's a full brain and body workout 5,6 days/wk. It may look like nothing when you see us on TV, but the stuff we do is very physically demanding. 2.5 hours of nonstop exertion. Playing quiet passages are twice as painful as playing loud ones. You need a strong core to sit upright (on the front 6" of the seat, bent forward at 15°) for 30-minute stretches of time. There is a cardio element, as well: the most physically active playing is almost always at the end of those 45-60 minute long pieces (da big boffo finish). There have been times when I've finished the last 2-3 minutes of a Mahler or Beethoven symphony in oxygen debt.

Brain scans of people who listen to music display lit-up cognitive areas of the brain like almost no other stimuli. Brain scans of people who are making music light up like fireworks.

I have noticed some slight decline in my reflexes over the past 2 years. Example: we play thousands of notes per week. Occasionally, we'll choose a fingering pattern that leads to awkward moments. I used to just jet to a safe orientation spot and carry on my merry way. I plan more now, and improvise less.

This thing we do is all fast-twitch stuff, and the flow of data is nonstop. Produce, or get out.

A couple years back, a friend asked me when I'll retire. My bottom line: "When I can't represent the brand like I always have." I'm not there yet, but for the first time ever, I'm starting to look at it as not some abstract point near the horizon. Two weeks ago, I played a short program with some colleagues at the municipal Youth Treatment Center (read: 'juvie lockup'). At the end of the joint, the kids were allowed to come up and talk with us. One of the teens who approached me asked me how long I'd been playing. It took a second or two to actually do the math. "I've been playing for 57 years." *boom*

This has been more than a hobby, interest, or avocation. It's been more than a means to a paycheck. It's been at the core of who I am since I reached the age of self-awareness. And the thought of not having this as central to my life is absolutely terrifying. This thing I play has been married to me since I was 9 years old. This thing that vibrates in me has been there since birth.

My biggest fear about aging isn't getting old. My biggest fear is becoming irrelevant.

If I could give any general advice in this thread, it would be this: pick up the musical instrument of your choice, and take some lessons. Lessons from a real musician who specializes in your chosen voice. You don't even have to be good at it; the benefit is in the doing of it. And if you happen to catch fire and really start to take off, the benefits go through the roof.

Posted By: GMdawg Re: Aging - 04/22/23 09:48 AM
My biggest fear about aging isn't getting old. My biggest fear is becoming irrelevant.

With the last pick in the 2023 NFL Draft The Houston Texans select CLEM?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 04/22/23 10:54 AM
I suppose maybe I've been looking at this entire thing in a way that many don't. I'm simply not that worried about it. I am somewhat more mindful of taking care of myself than I was when I was younger. I think with age we do become more reminded of our mortality and gain knowledge. But I can't say that most of those lifestyle changes were of design in and of themselves. I quit drinking alcohol but more for the simple fact I lost interest in it and no longer enjoyed it the way I used to. Same with weed. It wasn't some big plan or some great need I felt to improve my life, extend my life or something I made the decision to do because of health issues. I still smoke tobacco but no more than half a pack a day.

I was always somewhat of a healthy eater to at least one extent or another. I little more so now that I'm older and when I was young than from say my late 20's to late 40's. Once again it's not really something I obsess over or plan every meal around. I feel I exercise enough but am not what one would consider avid in a work out program or have a daily routine of exercise.

I guess I'm just more interested in living while I'm alive than worrying about dying or living in a manner I don't care for to stay alive longer. Spending time focusing and worrying about what might happen if I don't get every test medicine can provide, not taking the latest fish oil supplement and seeking out shark cartilage at GNC isn't who I am nor what I want to be. That's not the things I wish to be concerned about at this point in life. And I'm not sure living until I'm 85 or 90 while I watch all of my close friends, family and siblings die around me is something I find so appealing. I've already lost enough of them at this point already. Just a few days ago I found out another friend who I grew up with and are still close friends with today has stage four lung cancer.

I will simply do as I do now. I will take somewhat reasonable care of myself. Try to avoid obviously dangerous situations whenever practical and let the chips fall where they may. I've had a good life. I've reached the point where I don't have to fight tooth and nail to survive and struggle every day to do so. I've reaped many rewards for what I think overall has been a life well spent. And I can't think of what I would have or could have done to change that. We all have had life's lessons to learn and yes, I've had my share of those. But for the most part I've came out of the other side not much worse for the wear and tear.

So that's the way my days left on this earth will continue. Over the span of my life I've determined from my experiences in my time on this earth that it's never bad to make a plan but it's always bad to think that every plan you make is going to work. While I know it's not always the norm I've witnessed people that worked so hard to live a healthy life die early and I've watched those who have put themselves through hell live long. While I don't use that as a gauge for how I take care of myself I've learned that a lot of times the length of your life is far more about your genetics than how you choose to live.

So I'm going to keep eating red meat, have a little cake here and there, not get crazy with vitamins and supplements and just live while not staying busy worrying about what's ahead. Because what will come will come. There is no cheating death. Sure you can possibly delay it. But as I said earlier, I'm not so sure sticking around so long I have to bear witness to most all of my friends and family dying around me first is such an appealing reason to fight for what will amount to nothing more than a short extension in the grand scheme of things. A lot of things are simply out of my control and for some reason I've become fine with that.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/22/23 10:55 AM
Interesting story behind Melody Gardot.

She was hit by a SUV while on a bike. She was a teen. The accident nearly killed her. Crippled her and caused brain damage. She lost the ability to speak. Slowing gaining it back. She was in chronic pain and was taking serious doses pf pain killers.

She had read about music as a healing therapy. She had played piano and decided to try it as treatment. She threw away all her prescription drugs.

She became Melody Gardot. It was the music that reordered her brain.

So, Clem you may experience loss of physical dexterity but more than likely you will never suffer cognitive loss.

When I went for my annual physical the doc asked about what I do for entertainment. I told him I listen to music all the time. He said "good" using your hearing is important. In many ways listening to music for me is communication.

I feel very fortunate physically. But again it is my loved ones that are a concern.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Aging - 04/22/23 11:29 AM
I am reminded that I am in my 50's after a day of strenuous yard work. But overall, I really don't think about it other than I remember thinking people in their 50's and 60's seemed like the cliché grey haired grandparent stereotypes when I was younger, which is not true.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/22/23 12:03 PM
As you age you will think about it because you will see those around you change.

You will be in conversation with friends your age and see them searching for words. It will happen.

You will be more aware because it is a natural progression.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Aging - 04/22/23 12:49 PM
I want to reiterate something I brought up this past summer. If you're contemplating a knee replacement, do it now. I put it off for 2 years, and it really hampered my ability to work out and be active. I had the surgery last June, and I'm still trying to get my cardio and flexibility back to where it was. The knee is doing great, I'm able to squat, climb ladders, bike, etc. The rest of my body has to catch up to the new kid on the block. The older you get, the harder it is to get it back.....there's definitely a point of no return. At my age, you can't just let things go.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/22/23 02:54 PM
We all make choices regarding our own health.

Some things we can control. Some things we can not.

We can choose to drink, smoke, over eat, eat unhealthy, exercise or not. We can't choose genetics.

The reality is dementia and or alzheimer's will hit some of us or our loved ones.

No matter what we choose life will happen. There is no such thing as a normal life: there is only life.

And like Nature itself it will take it's own direction.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Aging - 04/22/23 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by jfanent
I want to reiterate something I brought up this past summer. If you're contemplating a knee replacement, do it now. I put it off for 2 years, and it really hampered my ability to work out and be active. I had the surgery last June, and I'm still trying to get my cardio and flexibility back to where it was. The knee is doing great, I'm able to squat, climb ladders, bike, etc. The rest of my body has to catch up to the new kid on the block. The older you get, the harder it is to get it back.....there's definitely a point of no return. At my age, you can't just let things go.

jfan???

Curious.....

Sounds like you had only 1 knee replaced?

I had the option of having only "one" done or "both" done at the same time. I opted for both at the same time.

Knowing the surgery would be painful I figured I wouldn't have twice the pain having both knees replaced at the same as opposed to just one. I'd just be in pain.

Best decision I've ever made.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Aging - 04/22/23 07:38 PM
I agree. The slow flow of movement is a stress killer. I am a type A junkie for conflict for most of my life. Feeling your center, moving energy, and feeling balanced afterward surprised me. I also have lifted and been active in sports; I was amazed how this art "stacks the body" using it and stretching to give you more workout than I believed was possible. I miss it a lot after a medical operation, but despite the mystery it paid me some lasting benefits. Can't do it anymore as far as the forms, but the breathing stays with you. Recommended once again.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 04/22/23 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
I just hit 60 today. Age may be just a number, but it's getting bigger every year. crazy

LOL.

I was going to say it might be a number, but we are talking about aging.
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 04/22/23 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

Happy Birthday!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Aging - 04/23/23 12:23 AM
Thank you.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Aging - 04/23/23 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by TTTDawg
Originally Posted by jfanent

jfan???

Curious.....

Sounds like you had only 1 knee replaced?

I had the option of having only "one" done or "both" done at the same time. I opted for both at the same time.

Knowing the surgery would be painful I figured I wouldn't have twice the pain having both knees replaced at the same as opposed to just one. I'd just be in pain.

Best decision I've ever made.

I only had one done, my other one's in decent shape. I have the utmost respect for those that have had both knees replaced at the same time. I can't imagine how you got around those first few weeks. I was using the other knee to do the heavy lifting on stairs, getting up from the toilet and whatnot.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/23/23 05:22 PM
My father started taking me fishing when I was about five. I took my son on fly fishing trips all over the place.

River fishing in waders for trout, steelhead, and salmon is not easy. It is physically demanding.

You can not go fish for an hour or so and expect much to happen. It does not work that way. You have to put in the time and make lots of casts.

My issue now at 75 is osteoarthritis. Wear and tear arthritis. It hits the joints. In my case the knuckles in the feet as well as mid back.

After an hour or so I begin to get pain and at that point it is no longer fun.

So, now I have the time and money to go anywhere but can no longer do the type of fishing I really love.

Two summers ago I went to a lodge in New Brunswick, Canada to fish for Atlantic salmon. They are considered the greatest of all gamefish.

The good thing is in Canada a non resident has to have a guide and the fishing is done from long canoes. I can do it with no pain.

The bad part is wild Atlantic salmon are basically endangered and very hard to catch. You get few chances if any. It is highly regulated and all catch and release which is fine by me. When I went 2 years ago I fished for three days and never made contact. The river was hit with record low water.

It is costly like a grand a day. That is lodging, food, boat, guide. When you do a trip like that you want to share the experience. I don't anybody anymore who can do it. My son could but normally he is touring in the summer so he is unable.

I am thinking go ahead and give a try again. Kind of a bucket list thing for me. But I waver about doing it.

It is that damn aging thing.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 04/24/23 03:45 AM
Man. If I had time I’d come join you.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/24/23 11:06 AM
One of the owners is going to call today to let me know what is open.

The best time is mid May to July. The season ends 9/30.

Migratory fish like Atlantic's are a crap shoot because it is all about the water. How much. What temperature. Whatever triggers them to enter the river from the ocean.

https://www.restigouchelodge.com/

Let me know. PM me.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 04/24/23 01:10 PM
That’s right at the busiest time of my year. I have art heading to Burning Man at the end of August, and another large scale commission due by mid October. I’m not even sure if I’ll have time to fish locally during this fall’s steelhead run.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/24/23 01:35 PM
I am contemplating a trip to Manitoba, Canada for trophy pike.

More action than fishing for Atlantic's. Not the same fish at all. Pike on top water streamers with a fly rod can be heart thumping.

Price is a little less. But you can use any type of equipment. Atlantic's are fly fishing only.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Aging - 04/27/23 09:57 PM
I read this thread while I was suspended and wanted to reply, but I forgot what I wanted to say.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/29/23 03:34 PM
Read it again.

Sometimes you have to prime the pump.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Aging - 04/29/23 03:40 PM
I was just making a lame joke.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/29/23 03:44 PM
check
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 04/29/23 08:16 PM
j/c

Just something I thought I would share. It's not a message I promote or advocate in any way but I did find it interesting.....

Warren Buffett eats McDonald's for breakfast, drinks 5 Cokes a day, and devours cookies and ice cream. Here are the investor's 11 best quotes about his iconic diet.

Warren Buffett may be 92 and one of the richest people on the planet, but he still has a child's taste for fast food, sugary sodas, and sweet treats.

The famed investor and Berkshire Hathaway CEO counts burgers, hot dogs, and ice cream among his favorite foods. He munches on McDonald's for breakfast, guzzles five cans of Coke every day, and demolishes cookies and chocolates.

Fittingly, Berkshire owns See's Candies and Dairy Queen, while Coca-Cola and Kraft Heinz are among the largest holdings in its $300 billion stock portfolio.

Buffett has defended his eating habits — and voiced his disgust at vegetables and other healthy options — during interviews, in his yearly letters to shareholders, and at Berkshire's annual meetings.

Here are Buffett's 11 best quotes about his diet, lightly edited for length and clarity:

1. "I've gotten to 92 with the habits of a 6-year-old. So far, it's working. Charlie's 99 and he doesn't eat any better than I do. I found everything I like to eat by the time I was six. Why should I fool around with all these other foods? If somebody told me I would live an extra year if I ate nothing but broccoli and a few other things all my life, I would say, 'Take that year off the end of my life and let me eat what I like to eat.'" (CNBC)

2. "I think happiness makes an enormous amount of difference in terms of longevity. And I'm happier when I'm drinking Coke or eating hot fudge sundaes or hot dogs." (CNBC)

3. "I'm one quarter Coca-Cola. If I eat 2,700 calories a day, a quarter of that is Coca-Cola. I drink at least five 12-ounce servings. I do it everyday. I have three Cokes during the day and two at night." (Fortune)

4. "I checked the actuarial tables, and the lowest death rate is among 6-year-olds. So I decided to eat like a 6-year-old. It's the safest course I can take." (Fortune)

5. "I follow a very simple rule when it comes to food. If a three-year-old doesn't eat it, I don't eat it." ("The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life")

6. "Broccoli, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts look to me like Chinese food crawling around on a plate. Cauliflower almost makes me sick. I eat carrots reluctantly. I don't like sweet potatoes. I don't even want to be close to a rhubarb, it makes me retch. My idea of a vegetable is green beans, corn, and peas. I like spaghetti and grilled cheese sandwiches. I'll eat meat loaf but wouldn't order it in a restaurant." ("The Snowball")

7. "During the meeting, Charlie and I will each consume enough Coke, See's fudge and See's peanut brittle to satisfy the weekly caloric needs of a NFL lineman. Long ago we discovered a fundamental truth: There's nothing like eating carrots and broccoli when you're really hungry – and want to stay that way." (2015 letter)

8. "There's a lot to be said about being happy with what you're doing. If I'd been eating broccoli and Brussels sprouts all my life, I don't think I'd live as long. I would approach every meal thinking it's like going to jail or something." (2015 meeting)

9. "When I compare drinking Coca-Cola to something that somebody would sell me at Whole Foods — I don't see smiles on the faces of people at Whole Foods." (2015 meeting)

10. "I like eating the same thing over and over and over again. I could eat a ham sandwich every day for 50 days in a row for breakfast." ("The Snowball")

11. "I don't eat any Chinese food. If necessary, serve me rice and I'll just move it around on my plate, and I'll go back to my room afterward and eat peanuts." ("The Snowball") (This was Buffett's response when Bill and Melinda Gates asked what he liked to eat ahead of a group vacation to China. Buffett made sure to speak up after suffering through a disastrous sushi dinner a few years earlier, and was served hamburgers, french fries and Cherry Coke throughout the trip.)

https://markets.businessinsider.com...NG2U2U7IfjIk2kVZKnCZpqpscDwaznX_g3g0GfmE
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 04/29/23 09:52 PM
I love Egg McMuffins. I have eaten thousands over the years. I was thrilled when McDonalds went to an all day breakfast menu. I could eat them 3 meals a day. I was bummed when they stopped doing that...at least around here they did.

Next to Bacon and Eggs, Egg McMuffins are the greatest innovation in breakfast history.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Aging - 04/30/23 02:22 AM
I could eat bacon and eggs "till the cows come home". And we all know how long it takes cows to walk home.

Gotta go "real butter" on the 4 slices of toast. That's a given/and or mandatory imo.

No doubt, over the years, that meal was a heavy factor in my receiving a an RCA stent due to a 95% blockage. rofl
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Aging - 04/30/23 02:49 AM
Eggs are a superfood. Skip the sausage/bacon and repace it with some oatmeal or grits and you have a healthy breakfast.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 04/30/23 12:00 PM
Food and aging?

Sure food plays a role in health. I am conscious of the link but I don't obsess about it. Overall my natural tastes are healthy.

My one thing is breakfast. I love breakfast. My bad that I love is butter. I tested a little high in cholesterol. The main reason is dairy products. Butter, sour cream, cheeze, eggs, ice cream. I have really cut back on butter because I was over the top with it before.

Eggs, breakfast sausage, pancakes, waffles, real maple syrup, french toast, coffee mmmmmmmmmmm.

But I love old fashioned oatmeal and ralston as well.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Aging - 04/30/23 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Eggs are a superfood. Skip the sausage/bacon and repace it with some oatmeal or grits and you have a healthy breakfast.
a few months ago I had eggs and blueberries for breakfast and felt invincible all day
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 04/30/23 04:43 PM
My breakfast weakness are the Hardee's biscuits. They're just so good and the closets I've ever found to home made in fast food. The sausage, egg and cheese is my go to and sometimes they'll run specials like the steak, egg and cheese. If I'm doing fast food for breakfast, which is pretty rare, I'm doing Hardee's.
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 04/30/23 11:52 PM
Hardee's still sell that sausage gravy and biscuits in Tennessee? That's about the last place I've had it, probably ten years ago now. It rivals any sit-down restaurant.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Aging - 05/01/23 12:09 AM
My strange breakfast is my biggest meal of the day. I eat between 3:30 to 4:30 am most mornings.
1 banana
2 peanut butter sandwich with whole wheat bread.
3. Four egg whites
4. 1 oz low or no salt cashews
5. One square of dark chocolate
6 one ounce of baked lays

Ya I need to drop the chips but its my weakness, but it beats the 6 to 8 ounces of regular chips I use to eat every day.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/01/23 11:32 AM
Hardee's still sell that sausage gravy and biscuits in Tennessee? That's about the last place I've had it, probably ten years ago now. It rivals any sit-down restaurant.

Yes.

In Tennessee, Hardee's is a sit down restaurant. What are you talking about! LOL

Seriously, for breakfast they are packed. Lined up around the building. They must do 90% of their sales in the morning beacuse the rest of day they do zilch.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 05/02/23 02:09 PM
Well… here we go… I don’t want to get into specifics because I only just found out yesterday and don’t have all the info myself… but… I got a cancer diagnosis from some recent tests that were done. The staging hasn’t been done yet but it is cancer none the less.
My hope is it’s stage one, which in this type of cancer is very curable. If it’s stage two or more my life could get very unfun… or come to a close. I have faith I caught it early.

Once I know more I’ll share more. Anything I can do to help others be proactive in getting screening done.

In the mean time, prayers please.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/02/23 02:12 PM
You have mine.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Aging - 05/02/23 02:14 PM
Wishing you all the best and I will pray for you to have the strength to beat that dreadful disease.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 05/02/23 02:15 PM
Thanks. Yesterday was rough. It wasn’t the news I had hoped to hear, but when the doctor called me directly I knew it wasn’t going to be good. It’s hard not to be freaked out.
Now off to work I go to take care of terminal patients while I face my own mortality in the back of my mind. Fun.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/02/23 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
Thanks. Yesterday was rough. It wasn’t the news I had hoped to hear, but when the doctor called me directly I knew it wasn’t going to be good. It’s hard not to be freaked out.
Now off to work I go to take care of terminal patients while I face my own mortality in the back of my mind. Fun.

I can understand, being older.

We all tend to think the worst. Just chill until you know what you know, then deal with it from there.

I am pulling for you.
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 05/02/23 02:32 PM
Said a prayer for you and I will continue, my friend.

Keep your head up and try your best to stay positive. Just imagine a day, soon in the future, when you can brush this off and say "that was close, glad I found out early".
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 05/02/23 02:53 PM
Damn Port.

To do what you do as a career takes a special person. You have helped so many others.

My thoughts are with you. The only thing I will say at this point is don't jump ahead.

Wait to get all the information and then plot your course.

I am sure with your background that you have been diligent in getting physicals and tests. If so getting it early is key.

It will not be easy but try and keep a positive attitude. I am sure you know it helps.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 05/02/23 03:19 PM
You will certainly be in my prayers. Man, cancer is a tough one. My wife had a huge cancer scare a few years back but it turned out to be benign. That alone was scary enough. I'm not one who posts a lot of personal information on here but if you feel comfortable doing so please keep us updated. Again, you are in my prayers.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Aging - 05/02/23 04:45 PM
You are in my Prayers-

and F*** Cancer
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 05/02/23 05:16 PM
Thanks everyone. I went and talked with my boss this morning. She’s awesome. I know I’ll be supported on that front.
My girlfriend is a hospice nurse too. We work together. She’s a rock. She’s also vegan. I’m in the process of radically changing my diet. I’ve been at it for about a week now as I started, for other reasons, cholesterol, prior to hearing my cancer screen test results. I’m going to do everything in my power nutritionally to help my body heal. Last night I ate beets for the first time as an adult. A hated food as a child. My GF made a really delicious beet salad. I was surprised. Lol

Anyway. Back to work.
Thanks for thinking of me.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Aging - 05/02/23 05:45 PM
Fight that fight and be well.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Aging - 05/02/23 06:15 PM
I'll be praying for you bud.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Aging - 05/02/23 08:18 PM
Prayers on the way. Heal well.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Aging - 05/02/23 09:08 PM
I've been ignoring this thread intentionally, not wanting to think about how old I'm getting..... and then saw your post today. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 05/02/23 10:15 PM
We’re mortal. There’s no ignoring it. Putting off regular screening as we age only places us at higher risks for worse outcomes when we finally do get screened, or have symptoms of disease/cancer. And often times by the time you have symptoms things have progressed to a point of deeper concern… and harder to treat.
We only live once. Living in denial of how we age can take years away from our already, in the grander scheme, short lives.
If you’re over 50 you need to get poked and prodded.
Just do it.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Aging - 05/04/23 09:23 PM
Prayers from here Port.....

I've had cancer and they caught it in time. Prostate. Ironically, it was spotted/diagnosed/whatever during a left side hernia mesh install surgery.

My father died of cancer/tumor (brain) in May of 1973, 12 days after I turned 16.

Again, prayers.........!
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Aging - 05/04/23 10:45 PM
Port you'll be in my prayers. I was sorry to hear your news. I lost my wife in February of 2022 to cancer and it was awful to see what she went through. Miserable rotten disease. I get pissed every time I hear the word. Miss her every day. Stay strong my friend! I'll be thinking and praying for you. Keep us updated.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 05/05/23 12:19 AM
Quick update.

They believe they caught it in stage one. I’ll need a CAT scan and an MRI yet to confirm it hasn’t gotten into my lymph system… which could the lead to the liver. If the stage one is confirmed I’ll have to have surgery to remove the area and surrounding tissue. This is all in the best case scenario.
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers.

My duty as a nurse is to say this…
If you’re a male 50 or older, go get your prostate exam and colonoscopy. Don’t put it off. Stop putting it off if you have.
Please be proactive. We never know what could be growing inside us but there are easy measures to check. Do it.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 05/05/23 11:20 AM
Thanks for the update Port.

You have been in my thoughts.

That is great news. I am sure it gives you needed hope. We are fortunate to live in a time when medicine has advanced and can save many lives.

Stay on course. Get that cancer out of your body and go on with all your dreams.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Aging - 05/06/23 05:47 AM
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis Port. They got the bladder cancer out of me, but I have an oncology appointment coming up to check the rest of me too. Pain levels shot way up last August and there are concerns. Good news is, since healing from the bladder procedure, that level is back down a bit, so fingers crossed here too. In June I get another scope, if all goes well, it will be annually after that. And I’ll probably be doing that the rest of my life. The least invasive bladder cancer is also the most aggressive at coming back. Fun Fun.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Aging - 05/06/23 03:43 PM
Dr has been on me for my last 2 physicals to get a colonoscopy, but I have put it off. Being 50 in July, a coworker died from colon cancer two weeks ago, another friend called me yesterday and told me he has leukemia. I figure next Monday for my physical I will agree to do it this year.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Aging - 05/06/23 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Dr has been on me for my last 2 physicals to get a colonoscopy, but I have put it off. Being 50 in July, a coworker died from colon cancer two weeks ago, another friend called me yesterday and told me he has leukemia. I figure next Monday for my physical I will agree to do it this year.

Do it. My dad kept putting it off and died of colon cancer.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Aging - 05/06/23 05:18 PM
I just had a colonoscopy due to my age. Everyone should be sure to get the scope and not the cologuard/pill camera. Nothing beats/replaces the real thing. Those other things can't take samples or remove polyps.

Glad you are on the path to being cured Portland!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 05/06/23 06:16 PM
Please keep updating as you go through treatment.

Really happy that it sounds like you got it early.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Aging - 05/07/23 10:47 AM

Do it Frenchy. Don't delay. I put it off for years as well and ended up with stage IV color cancer that had metastasized to my liver. Been fighting that now for almost 8 1/2 years.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Aging - 05/07/23 02:56 PM
I had a colonoscopy in the middle of February. It was the first time in 11 years. They found one pre-cancerous polyp. I have to go every 3 years now. Prudent thing to do for everyone. GM I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. You'll be in my prayers also.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/08/23 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
My breakfast weakness are the Hardee's biscuits. They're just so good and the closets I've ever found to home made in fast food. The sausage, egg and cheese is my go to and sometimes they'll run specials like the steak, egg and cheese. If I'm doing fast food for breakfast, which is pretty rare, I'm doing Hardee's.

Never been a big biscuit eater, and Mama was from Alabama, so I have eaten a few. I like English Muffins myself. That said, I like Bogangles over Hardees. Sometimes I want a ham biscuit, and Bo's is where I go. Damn good Cajun chicken as well.

I did say I have family in Louisiana, didn't I ?. They use Cajun spice and hot sauce like many use salt and pepper.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 05/08/23 03:40 PM
There have been some Bogangles pop up here locally as of late. I know I like Popeyes spicey chicken which is as close to Cajun as I have been able to find around here. But then we have Nashville Hot Chicken. I'll have to give Bogangles a try.
Posted By: TTTDawg Re: Aging - 05/08/23 03:50 PM
Saw this of Facebook. Should fit in nicely here.

I arrived at the address and honked the horn. After waiting a few minutes I honked again. Since this was going to be my last ride of my shift I thought about just driving away, but instead I put the car in park and walked up to the door and knocked.. 'Just a minute', answered a frail, elderly voice. I could hear something being dragged across the floor.
After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 90's stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940's movie.
By her side was a small nylon suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets.
There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard box filled with photos and glassware.
'Would you carry my bag out to the car?' she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman.
She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb.
She kept thanking me for my kindness. 'It's nothing', I told her.. 'I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother to be treated.'
'Oh, you're such a good boy,’ she said. When we got in the cab, she gave me an address and then asked, 'Could you drive
through downtown?'
'It's not the shortest way,' I answered quickly..
'Oh, I don't mind,' she said. 'I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice.’
I looked in the rear-view mirror. Her eyes were glistening. 'I don't have any family left,' she continued in a soft voice.. ‘The doctor says I don't have very long.' I quietly reached over and shut off the meter.
'What route would you like me to take?' I asked.
For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator.
We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds. She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.
Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.
As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, 'I'm tired. Let's go now'.
We drove in silence to the address she had given me. It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico.
Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move.
They must have been expecting her.
I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.
'How much do I owe you?' She asked, reaching into her purse.
'Nothing,' I said.
'You have to make a living,' she answered.
'There are other passengers,' I responded.
Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly.
'You gave an old woman a little moment of joy,' she said. 'Thank you.'
I squeezed her hand, and then walked into the dim morning light.. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life..
I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that day,I could hardly talk. What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?
On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life.
We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments.
But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.
PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~ THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL.
At the bottom of this great story was a request to forward this - I deleted that request because if you have read to this point, you won't have to be asked to pass it along you just will...
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Aging - 05/09/23 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg

I can understand, being older.

We all tend to think the worst. Just chill until you know what you know, then deal with it from there.

I am pulling for you.

We all are pulling for you. Remember, it's always darkest before the dawn.....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/09/23 02:45 PM
There have been some Bogangles pop up here locally as of late. I know I like Popeyes spicey chicken which is as close to Cajun as I have been able to find around here. But then we have Nashville Hot Chicken. I'll have to give Bogangles a try.

Nashville hot is for a limited group IMO, and I am not a part of that group. There is a difference between hot and spicy and moronic. Making food better tasting is the goal of a cook, not getting it as hot as possible.

I could make my chicken hotter than Ms. Hattie, but I want to eat and like what I am eating. But, they have them lined up down the street with out of towners who want to try it....I bet most never go back.

God Bless America....if it sells, keep selling it.
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 05/09/23 02:57 PM
That's funny.

Going to be in the Nashville area in June -- family members tell me I have to try Hattie B's. I assume that's the 'Ms Hattie' you're talking about? It's not all super-spicy, is it?

Also: We love independent joints; if you and Pit have any recommendations, please let me know.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/09/23 03:14 PM
Same place.

Go try it. You tell me.

I have lived in Tennessee since the middle 70's. I have been going to Nashville for as long. I have been eating...or have eaten Nashville hot long before the world heard about it. I had a Cajun Grandmother. She cooked with spice. Hattie just dumps Cyanne in the sauce.

Some might call that cooking. I don't. Had I cooked in your restaurant, you wouldn't have fired me because I am such an overall swell guy, but you would have said a few cuss words in my direction.

Just saying.
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 05/09/23 03:42 PM
I'm fine with hot... but not just for the sake of being hot. If your creativity level is dumping in some cayenne, well, that's not really my cup of tea.

I had a bar too, so we had the obligatory hot wings and super hot wings (called Agent Orange). Caramelize honey and brown sugar... Toss in fresh garlic and orange rind... Quickly add our house bbq before the garlic gets bitter... then ground red savina peppers (hot as hell). Very hot... but so tasty you could not quit eating them, even if you weren't really into hot-hot. Simple ingredients and a little creativity are not akin to digging a damned ditch. When all I can taste is cayenne or Red Hot, I lose a lot of respect.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 05/09/23 03:42 PM
I don't really go into the city of Nashville very much per say. Mainly just for concerts which I'm very picky about who I go to see. Four major concert venues are all very close together and there are so many events held in Nashville it's often a chaotic mess. To give you an example the last time I went to the city for a concert was to see Joe Bonamassa at the Ryman Auditorium. The Stones were playing just a few blocks away at Bridgestone Arena. Just getting into the entertainment district and getting parked was a huge mess much less trying to dine there.

I wish I could be of more help to you.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/09/23 10:58 PM
I'm fine with hot... but not just for the sake of being hot. If your creativity level is dumping in some cayenne, well, that's not really my cup of tea.

I had a bar too, so we had the obligatory hot wings and super hot wings (called Agent Orange). Caramelize honey and brown sugar... Toss in fresh garlic and orange rind... Quickly add our house bbq before the garlic gets bitter... then ground red savina peppers (hot as hell). Very hot... but so tasty you could not quit eating them, even if you weren't really into hot-hot. Simple ingredients and a little creativity are not akin to digging a damned ditch. When all I can taste is cayenne or Red Hot, I lose a lot of respect.

If you like hot, you may like it. I don't.

As for other places...the ones I liked are now closed post covid. One I like in West end, where I usually stay is the Mid Town Cafe. The place is always packed, so get a reservation. I am sure you will like that place. It's a top notch place that isn't too fancy, but the food has always been first rate IMO. I eat there both breakfast and Lunch/Dinner. Again, reserve, they are jammed at all hours.

If you stay out there, the rooms are a bit cheaper, but not much. There is also a hattie B's about 40 yards from the cafe, just down the street.
West end is about 3 miles from the main strip, out near Music Row and Vanderbilt.

https://www.midtowncafe.com/
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 05/10/23 01:36 AM
Excellent, thanks!

We're going in blind and have a few days before a family reunion in the Gatlinburg area. That place looks legit, already wondering how to narrow my choices lol.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Aging - 05/10/23 04:12 AM
That's funny.

Going to be in the Nashville area in June -- family members tell me I have to try Hattie B's. I assume that's the 'Ms Hattie' you're talking about? It's not all super-spicy, is it?

Also: We love independent joints; if you and Pit have any recommendations, please let me know.

It's become touristy but its also great spicy fried chicken. I've only been to the original location and this was in 2014 and 2018. Located in midtown in between the Gulch and Vanderbilt. If I recall there are 5 spice levels. Like a Thai food menu! You can order mild to flaming.

This place is a good time... https://www.pinsbar.com/nashville

Have fun!

Nashville has an incredible dining scene. My brother, two cousins, aunt and uncle all live there now.

My order...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/10/23 09:07 AM
Excellent, thanks!

We're going in blind and have a few days before a family reunion in the Gatlinburg area. That place looks legit, already wondering how to narrow my choices lol.

That is why we sometimes eat there 2 times a trip. We always stay at the Courtyard next door except for the times we stay out at Opryland.
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 05/10/23 12:18 PM
Pins looks like fun, Milk. Thanks! I think Hattie's will probably be a must-see (taste).

'Peen -- leaning toward Opryland. I stayed there once in the late eighties for $125... looks like there's been some "inflation". saywhat
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Aging - 05/10/23 02:08 PM
That's funny.

I was a big fan of Monell's. Quality home-style cooking with family-style dining. You're seated with a bunch of people you don't know at a huge table and whatever they're cooking is what you're eating. The dishes come out in bulk and set on the table, and you'll get scolded if you try passing them the wrong direction, lol.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/10/23 02:48 PM
Pins looks like fun, Milk. Thanks! I think Hattie's will probably be a must-see (taste).

'Peen -- leaning toward Opryland. I stayed there once in the late eighties for $125... looks like there's been some "inflation". saywhat

Oh yeah...We usually stay there once a year. It's one of those places you need not leave. All of the restaurants are good. None all that noteworthy. The mall across the way, Opry Mills is pretty cool, even for a non-mall guy like myself.

Depending on when you go, i would recommend going to the Grand Old Opry. Country music fan or not, it is a cool experience everybody should take in once. It is a live radio show that has been on air maybe 80 years now .

Just looking ahead, some pretty good shows starting to take shape in June. Pat and I just went 3-4 weeks ago. Had a great time, as usual. We usually see 2-3 a year.

If you don't know the format, it is a current star, a past star or two, an Opry member, an up and comer, and usually some sort of comedian or story teller as some fill.. There are usually 6-7 acts and all sing 3 or so songs. It's a good 2+ hour show. When we went
Darrius Rucker was the current star, I liked John Connely, Mark Wills, Jr. Brown, and Riders in the Sky. Can't remember the newcomer and the story teller...he seemed popular with the younger crowd. He had a big following that night...some podcast dude.. All were good.

Just do it, I promise you will like it

You can ask Columbus, I don't make bad recommendations. I take restaurants, hotels, and shows pretty seriously. If i tell you a restaurant or hotel is good, it is good. You won't find yourself in some Motel 6 type joint, or Dennys to eat.

Shows are a bit subjective, but I promise you will like it, even if for no other reason in this case the historical value. It's just a slice of Americana. We all like that pie once in a while. It's the grand old Opry. You are in Tennessee. What's more Tennesse or American than that?

When you go to NYC, you go the the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and maybe catch a Broadway show. When in Tennessee, the Opry is a must see.

Back in the day, the Loving Spoonful sang "Nashville Cats" and said there are 1352 guitar pickers in Nashville.

They were wrong. There are 13052 guitar pickersin Nasville, and "And any one that unpacks 'is guitar could play
Twice as better than I will"
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 05/10/23 04:40 PM
Pfft... Now that I'm looking, someone who spoke to my wife waay overstated the price of rooms at Opryland. It's a no-brainer. I paid double to stay at The Grand on Mackinac Island.

My wife has never been there -- it will blow her away. Pretty excited now. And if you say "just do it", I'm in. Not a big country fan but I'm sure it will be a fantastic night.

I'll PM you dates when I have everything worked out, maybe you and Pat will be in the area for a show or lunch -- no pressure. wink
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Aging - 05/11/23 10:08 AM
Hope you and your wife have a great time Fate.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Aging - 05/14/23 10:16 PM
Not a big country fan ....)

You mean you don't like music where your dog just died and your wife took off with your best friend....lol
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 05/15/23 02:57 PM
It's not your mom and dad's country music anymore. It's closer to pop for the most part. And a lot of those mom and dad's aren't happy about it either.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Aging - 05/15/23 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by bbrowns32

You mean you don't like music where your dog just died and your wife took off with your best friend....lol

David Allen Coe knows everyone likes that.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 05/15/23 09:57 PM
What happened here?

How in world did the issues of aging turn into food and country music?

Not that I care but they are far from the topic.

Baby boomers are from 1946 to 1964. Age related problems are here or coming.

I guess we can eat mac n cheese and listen to country music and see what happens.

"my dog blue can't hunt no more
got so old his nose gave out.
He can still hear if he is close and you yell though

my ford pickup still has a throttle
and she can go
thelma lu loves her so."
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Aging - 05/16/23 12:52 PM
It's not your mom and dad's country music anymore. It's closer to pop for the most part. And a lot of those mom and dad's aren't happy about it either.
I remember telling my grandpa to listen to Luke Combs, one of the more popular country stars … he listened for 10 seconds and laughed and laughed
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 05/16/23 02:00 PM
I’ve mentioned this before but I’ll do it again… do a YouTube search for ‘Bo Burnham country music’. I can’t post the song here because of language but it’s a pretty hilarious take on modern country music.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 05/16/23 04:25 PM
I told him he had not written the perfect county and western song because it didn't have anything about.....

And I didn't even have to listen to it. For me it's a classic country song.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 05/16/23 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
What happened here?

How in world did the issues of aging turn into food and country music?

Not that I care but they are far from the topic.

You mean to tell me that for as long as you have been posting here you haven't figured out how that works? rofl
Posted By: jfanent Re: Aging - 05/16/23 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by bbrowns32

David Allen Coe knows everyone likes that.

Holy crap would you look at that mullet!
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 05/16/23 05:47 PM
Update…. Had a quick procedure done this morning and talked with my doctor about my diagnosis and expected outcomes. His words were "likely you're already cured.
(Meaning the initial colonoscopy and removal likely got it all.) The rest of these tests and procedures are to verify that information and reduce the chance of recurrence."
So, that's promising.

I have my MRI tomorrow night. A CT on the 24th. If those come back clear I’ll be scheduled for an outpatient surgery to remove the potentially compromised tissue in my colon wall… and with everything staying in the positive, this will be a footnote in my much longer life.

I have to say, this has been one of the most terrifying things I’ve ever dealt with in my life. I’ve rock climbed and taken a 12’ fall that chipped a tooth while 110’+ off the ground. I’ve gotten ‘lost’ back country skiing, and had to self rescue. I’ve scuba'd in the open ocean at night, with sharks around. Nothing comes close to the anxiety and fear that this diagnosis has brought to me. Nothing.

Please, please get screened. My doctor said this has likely been growing in me for 3+ years… if I had waited another 1-2 more before getting my colonoscopy… my entire world would be turned upside down.
I’m not in the clear yet. Let’s hope the MRI and CT are clean.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Aging - 05/16/23 06:00 PM
Hopefully your doctors comment that "likely you're already cured" holds to be true. Until I know all is well you will certainly be in my prayers. Thanks for the update.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Aging - 05/16/23 06:30 PM
Hoping for the best Portland. Keep. Us updated
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 05/16/23 06:48 PM
Thanks for the update. Right on time. I was going to PM you.

That is about as good as can be expected.

At this point it is follow the steps to get that clean bill of health. Outstanding.

Lots of things can scare you but nothing like a cancer diagnosis.

Do what you do and carry-on. Grab all of life and squeeze hard.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Aging - 05/16/23 08:56 PM
Of course! You got this Portland....
Posted By: FATE Re: Aging - 05/17/23 01:44 PM
Seems like just about the best news possible, eh?

Hopefully the MRI and CT are clear, the minor surgery goes well, and this is just a blip on the screen in the long run!
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Aging - 05/18/23 04:42 PM
Got mine scheduled for June 19th. Question about the colonoscopy, do you still have to drink that gallon of golitely, or have they changed to some other method to clean you out? How often after getiing one done is another one done? This isn’t a yearly thing is it?
Posted By: Tackman Re: Aging - 05/18/23 06:12 PM
Got mine scheduled for June 19th. Question about the colonoscopy, do you still have to drink that gallon of golitely, or have they changed to some other method to clean you out? How often after getiing one done is another one done? This isn’t a yearly thing is it?

There are other preps to drink. I get the gallon jug deal due to other health issues. I get it done every 3 years due to them finding polyps the first few times.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 05/18/23 10:31 PM

Tackman got it right.

I did a different bowel prep. Magnesium Citrate based stuff. Two small bottles. It’s a low residual diet two days prior to procedure. Then clear liquid diet the day before. One bottle of the prep that night. The next one taken the morning of the colonoscopy. Like 6 hours before. So it’s best to schedule the procedure around, or after, 10am. Or you’ll have to get up at like 3am to drink the other bottle.

If your svope comes back clear, you go back every five years.

Onto my update…

Had my MRI last night. Already got a call from my doctor. The cancer hadn’t gotten into my lymph system. I still have a CT next week. This’ll give my liver and lungs the all clear. The doctor said he’d expect those to be clear too based on the ‘no lymph involvement’ from my MRI. They do the CT just to be sure.
With that, I’m schedule for outpatient surgery next month to remove the compromised tissue. Once done, this dark chapter can be behind me.

Back to the colonoscopy frequency topic… I’ll now go back at one year, three years, and five years. Meaning I’ll have three more in the next five years. If I remain cancer free for five years I’ll be officially ‘cured’. Then I’ll only have to be scoped every five years.

I’ll just leave you with this.. No amount of bowel prep is worse than cancer.

Plus, how often in your life will you get to legally be put to sleep like the King of Pop? Propaphol is a light switch. Enjoy the dark.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Aging - 05/18/23 11:13 PM
Hey Portland. I didn’t know you had cancer - like jfanent, I avoided reading this thread. smile

But now I know, and all I can say is fight the good fight, and get well soon man.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/18/23 11:29 PM

Yes, you drink something. I didn't think it tasted as bad as some say.

As for frequency...it depends. If you are pretty clean with a few minor polyps removed, every 3 years. If you seem higher risk, then maybe every year. You age might increase things as well.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Aging - 05/19/23 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Yes, you drink something. I didn't think it tasted as bad as some say.

It doesn’t taste great but I found a way to make it go down. It’s a really sickly sweet lemon lime flavor. Since I all ready had to be on a clear liquid diet, I just made some lime jello and chased the prep liquid down with a few bites of that. The jello tempered the taste well.
Note that I made lime jello. The clear liquid diet can’t include anything red, purple, or blue as that can read as blood in the GI tract. So lime it was.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Aging - 05/19/23 06:09 AM
This whole conversation affirms we are getting old.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Aging - 05/19/23 10:55 AM
Yes damn it.

I have osteoarthritis in my feet. I got a couple cortisone shots yesterday. Instant relief.

I wish you could take steroids with an oral dose daily. But you can not. Steroids are toxic on the rest of your body.

But they really lower joint inflammation. I get shots 2 or 3 times a year. It feels great for a while to not have chronic pain on the top of my foot.

But I really have nothing to complain about. Minor in comparison to what I see people dealing with.

Posted By: GMdawg Re: Aging - 05/19/23 11:04 AM

I had colonoscopy's every six months for 4 years, and had them every year the last four years. Getting another one next month. Tell (don't ask) you DR that you want to use 3 dulcolax, and a mixture of miralax 8.3 oz bottle mixed with 64 ounces of gatorade. (no red or purple, I use either G zero orange flavered) Do not, I repeat do not wait till everning the night before to do your prep (unless you want to sheet yourself during the night before. I take my dulcolax about 9 AM the day before, followed by drinking my prep between noon and 2 PM. By 9 PM I am pretty well cleaned out and can get a good nights sleep wake up early go get my colonoscopy then stop for breakfast on my way home from the hospital.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Aging - 05/19/23 05:58 PM
Thanks for all the advice and helpful info.

I work in a prison, that caters to sick inmates. I cant count the times Ive seen inmates have to choke down a gallon of golitely and the kind they got tasted like chalk Ive been told. And boy did they struggle to get it down. They had no flavors to choose from.
© DawgTalkers.net