Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2012057 04/20/23 09:47 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This week I went to visit a close friend of mine who lost his wife recently.

We have been close friends for over 45 years. He is originally from Morocco. We have shared many life experiences together.

I went over to his house and we hung out most of the day and then went out for dinner.

On my way home I began thinking about our day together and some things I had observed. I came to the conclusion that he is slipping. He is 77.

"Estimates vary, but experts report more than 7 million people ages 65 or older had dementia in 2020. If current demographic and health trends continue, more than 9 million Americans could have dementia by 2030 and nearly 12 million by 2040." Those are big numbers.

He displayed a few of the early signs.

I know the signs and I test myself on a regular basis. I began taking Spanish lessons on line to test cognitive retention ability. I show no signs at all. I have had excellent health all my life and a day does not go by that I don't recognize how fortunate I am.

I have a small circle of friends that has become smaller in the last few years. Part of the deal of aging.

Given the numbers dealing with dementia personally or as a care giver is most likely going to touch your life.

I think it something that everyone should be aware of. So you are more prepared and knowledgeable about how to deal with it.

bonefish #2012060 04/20/23 10:34 AM
Legend
Legend
I was actually considering starting a similar thread, but it was more complaining about silly things. Gray nose hairs, my ears being the only fertile ground for new hair, the eyebrows! damn, I could weave a wig, etc...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It started with teasing back and forth between my wife and I. It's become a slow realization that we both are "slipping" cognitively. Nothing I'm worried about, just the simple remembering discussions from day to day. I'm in my mid-fifties, she's soon to be 50. It's easy for a 'guy' to say, "eh, I never pay more than half-attention to her mumbo-jumbo anyway', and brush it off. But there is more to it... like things that you know you are supposed to remember but still forget. She has been forgetting complete conversations that are less than 72 hours old. I'm actually considering nootropics in addition to more mental exercises.

Definitely having a few psychological issues with my own mortality, need to 'get my head straight' in more ways than one.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2012070 04/20/23 11:13 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The numbers I posted on dementia are most likely underestimated.

Many people become isolated and become homebound. One of the signs is withdrawing from people.

When seniors lose those close to them. It begins a process of slowly becoming isolated. That in itself accelerates the process.

Again I count my lucky stars. I live with my daughter and my two grandsons. One is ten the other sixteen. I have a son as well who I am very close too.

It is like I have raised two generations. I use to coach baseball and have always enjoyed being around kids. I have no problem being Mr. Taxi and being involved in my grandsons daily lives. It keeps me fresh. I love taking them on trips of wonderment like National Parks. Seeing them experience the wonders in the world for the first time.

My biggest fear about aging has always been that of becoming dependent upon others. Having to be cared for and losing my independence. It motivates me to be very health conscious. I eat right. I exercise on very regular schedule. I have been a lap swimmer for over 13 years. I average over two miles a week. It has kept me from any type of weight issues.

Basically I perform preventive maintenance.

However, I have a an older sister and a younger brother. Both have health issues related to aging.

All of us will slip some as time passes. But there are many things you can do to help yourself.

One is being aware of what to look for and do what you can to slow your clock.

bonefish #2012080 04/20/23 12:56 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
At a break at work so don’t have time to get into it… but my dad is starting to show signs… I’m heading home to Ohio this summer to see him and have discussions with my siblings on how to move forward as his dementia likely progresses.
Generally speaking, dementia isn’t typical in our family but…

[Linked Image]
PortlandDawg #2012085 04/20/23 01:09 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It is a difficult topic.

It is gut wrenching and hard to face. I am sure with your profession you must see it often.

bonefish #2012091 04/20/23 01:50 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
A lot of the women on my Dad's side of the family get dementia/alzheimers. I have one copy of the gene, so I have an increased chance of getting it. Sucks.

Stay active/get exercise
Exercise your brain
Eat healthy - no junk food, whole/clean food
Take supplements

That's my strategy to stay young and keep a young brain.

No Craps Given
bonefish #2012109 04/20/23 07:43 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I retired in 2019. I turn 66 tomorrow. I try and keep busy/active as much as I can.
However, in the last year or so I've developed an oops "forgot this, forgot that, etc, thing."

Go downstairs for something from the kitchen......

20% of the time I get there......
.....hmmm, now what did I come down here for?

.......go back upstairs......sit down, and, oh yea, that's right.....

Head back down.....

Other things as well. "Drat, gotta look for my phone again." I must look for my phone 3-4 times a day.

"Now where did I put that thing"??? willynilly

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

TTTDawg #2012133 04/21/23 08:45 AM
Legend
Legend
Happy, happy joy, joy! Thought I would tell you twice so you remember one LOLetc. Helps me. Happy birthday, and many happy returns! I do this too. Do not weaken just yet.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #2012139 04/21/23 09:07 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I take all the tests every year. Sometimes I remember all 3 random words, sometimes not. I think mostly because I don't care all that much about the test.

I do have some problem with recall, but nothing I consider a big issue. We all at some point have that problem to a degree. Face it, the longer you live, the more you have to recall.

As for losing friends, I hear you, but, in the big scheme, 72- 92, it's 20 years but in reality, it is a couple blinks of the eye. You just never know.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
FATE #2012142 04/21/23 09:31 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE
Definitely having a few psychological issues with my own mortality, need to 'get my head e w' in more ways than one.

Don't worry about it my friend. That isn't to say to ignore things that can be corrected to some degree. We all reach a point where we actually face mortality. For me it was at the point where contemporaries of mine were passing away from somewhat "normal" things and not freak accidents. Usually in your 40's somewhere.

None of us come out of this alive, so once you grasp that, you are better off. We aren't facing something that billions of other people haven't faced.

I look at facing mortality as an awaking. We face several of those in our life, and that is one of the most important ones. Rather than live with the fear/unknown in that, find the peace in that.

Life is energy, and at least according to some smart people, energy never goes away. The conservation of energy. The isolated system as we know, the human body, moves on. To what? That is a conversation for another thread.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: TTTDawg, FATE
Ballpeen #2012158 04/21/23 11:41 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not so much about the number as it is about how you reach the number.

Quality of life.

I spoke to my younger brother the other day and he told me about a friend we grew up with. Said he had dementia.

He explained it was a bad situation because there really is nobody to help care for him.

I have seen people slide fast. They were ok and then they really needed help and the burden it put on family members.

At that point they do not know what is happening. They are unaware of the logistics and care requirements.

My situation is fine. It is my friends and family I worry about.

bonefish #2012174 04/21/23 12:34 PM
Legend
Legend
I can see it starting with my dad as well. Just a little slipping with memory (especially stuff he SHOULD know). I also worry about inactivity and not a lot of brain exercising, which I would imagine makes it more difficult to overcome the aging process

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #2012212 04/21/23 02:55 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
My mother lived till 96 and remained healthy.

She became a Master bridge player. She traveled all over and entered contract bridge tournaments. That helped keep her in social contact and exercised her brain.

Exercise both physical and mental is really important. Inactivity and isolation accelerate decline.

Makes perfect sense.

1 member likes this: TTTDawg
bonefish #2012222 04/21/23 03:15 PM
Legend
Legend
I personally can recommend Tai Chi as you age. Breathing helped, BP down, low-key workout, just upside in a lot of directions. Balance is vital. Check it out some. For me it had measurable benefits on medical tests to complement anecdotal impressions I could offer. We offer free classes at a community senior service center.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Bard Dawg #2012247 04/21/23 05:47 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Interesting that you mentioned Tai Chi. At one time it was only taught to royal families as a way to prolong life.

I took Tai Chi many years ago from a Chinese Tai Chi Master. He spoke no English.

In many ways it is mysterious. If you know nothing about it and just watch someone doing it. You would think how in the hell can help you?

However, when you do it. You find out quickly. It moves your blood through your body. Your circulation improves dramatically. Balance and core muscles strengthen. All about the power of "chi."

I have issues with arthritis in my feet now so I can't do it.

I do some yoga. Not a bunch but I have been doing four back exercise poses for over 40 years. I do a few light weight curls and presses.
But my main exercise is lap swimming.

I wish I could do Tai Chi. I loved it when I did it. I think it is really good for you.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
bonefish #2012261 04/21/23 10:52 PM
1st String
1st String
I used to really dread growing older and aging. But it is just a number. As I had in the working out every single day at home and in the gym. Trying to eat salads each and every single day. Take vitamins and medication.

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
bonefish #2012264 04/21/23 10:58 PM
Legend
Legend
I just hit 60 today. Age may be just a number, but it's getting bigger every year. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
bonefish #2012265 04/22/23 02:25 AM
Legend
Legend
I think my work is a big benefit. It's a full brain and body workout 5,6 days/wk. It may look like nothing when you see us on TV, but the stuff we do is very physically demanding. 2.5 hours of nonstop exertion. Playing quiet passages are twice as painful as playing loud ones. You need a strong core to sit upright (on the front 6" of the seat, bent forward at 15°) for 30-minute stretches of time. There is a cardio element, as well: the most physically active playing is almost always at the end of those 45-60 minute long pieces (da big boffo finish). There have been times when I've finished the last 2-3 minutes of a Mahler or Beethoven symphony in oxygen debt.

Brain scans of people who listen to music display lit-up cognitive areas of the brain like almost no other stimuli. Brain scans of people who are making music light up like fireworks.

I have noticed some slight decline in my reflexes over the past 2 years. Example: we play thousands of notes per week. Occasionally, we'll choose a fingering pattern that leads to awkward moments. I used to just jet to a safe orientation spot and carry on my merry way. I plan more now, and improvise less.

This thing we do is all fast-twitch stuff, and the flow of data is nonstop. Produce, or get out.

A couple years back, a friend asked me when I'll retire. My bottom line: "When I can't represent the brand like I always have." I'm not there yet, but for the first time ever, I'm starting to look at it as not some abstract point near the horizon. Two weeks ago, I played a short program with some colleagues at the municipal Youth Treatment Center (read: 'juvie lockup'). At the end of the joint, the kids were allowed to come up and talk with us. One of the teens who approached me asked me how long I'd been playing. It took a second or two to actually do the math. "I've been playing for 57 years." *boom*

This has been more than a hobby, interest, or avocation. It's been more than a means to a paycheck. It's been at the core of who I am since I reached the age of self-awareness. And the thought of not having this as central to my life is absolutely terrifying. This thing I play has been married to me since I was 9 years old. This thing that vibrates in me has been there since birth.

My biggest fear about aging isn't getting old. My biggest fear is becoming irrelevant.

If I could give any general advice in this thread, it would be this: pick up the musical instrument of your choice, and take some lessons. Lessons from a real musician who specializes in your chosen voice. You don't even have to be good at it; the benefit is in the doing of it. And if you happen to catch fire and really start to take off, the benefits go through the roof.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: FATE, jfanent
Clemdawg #2012266 04/22/23 05:48 AM
Legend
Legend
My biggest fear about aging isn't getting old. My biggest fear is becoming irrelevant.

With the last pick in the 2023 NFL Draft The Houston Texans select CLEM?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
3 members like this: TTTDawg, Clemdawg, jfanent
bonefish #2012270 04/22/23 06:54 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I suppose maybe I've been looking at this entire thing in a way that many don't. I'm simply not that worried about it. I am somewhat more mindful of taking care of myself than I was when I was younger. I think with age we do become more reminded of our mortality and gain knowledge. But I can't say that most of those lifestyle changes were of design in and of themselves. I quit drinking alcohol but more for the simple fact I lost interest in it and no longer enjoyed it the way I used to. Same with weed. It wasn't some big plan or some great need I felt to improve my life, extend my life or something I made the decision to do because of health issues. I still smoke tobacco but no more than half a pack a day.

I was always somewhat of a healthy eater to at least one extent or another. I little more so now that I'm older and when I was young than from say my late 20's to late 40's. Once again it's not really something I obsess over or plan every meal around. I feel I exercise enough but am not what one would consider avid in a work out program or have a daily routine of exercise.

I guess I'm just more interested in living while I'm alive than worrying about dying or living in a manner I don't care for to stay alive longer. Spending time focusing and worrying about what might happen if I don't get every test medicine can provide, not taking the latest fish oil supplement and seeking out shark cartilage at GNC isn't who I am nor what I want to be. That's not the things I wish to be concerned about at this point in life. And I'm not sure living until I'm 85 or 90 while I watch all of my close friends, family and siblings die around me is something I find so appealing. I've already lost enough of them at this point already. Just a few days ago I found out another friend who I grew up with and are still close friends with today has stage four lung cancer.

I will simply do as I do now. I will take somewhat reasonable care of myself. Try to avoid obviously dangerous situations whenever practical and let the chips fall where they may. I've had a good life. I've reached the point where I don't have to fight tooth and nail to survive and struggle every day to do so. I've reaped many rewards for what I think overall has been a life well spent. And I can't think of what I would have or could have done to change that. We all have had life's lessons to learn and yes, I've had my share of those. But for the most part I've came out of the other side not much worse for the wear and tear.

So that's the way my days left on this earth will continue. Over the span of my life I've determined from my experiences in my time on this earth that it's never bad to make a plan but it's always bad to think that every plan you make is going to work. While I know it's not always the norm I've witnessed people that worked so hard to live a healthy life die early and I've watched those who have put themselves through hell live long. While I don't use that as a gauge for how I take care of myself I've learned that a lot of times the length of your life is far more about your genetics than how you choose to live.

So I'm going to keep eating red meat, have a little cake here and there, not get crazy with vitamins and supplements and just live while not staying busy worrying about what's ahead. Because what will come will come. There is no cheating death. Sure you can possibly delay it. But as I said earlier, I'm not so sure sticking around so long I have to bear witness to most all of my friends and family dying around me first is such an appealing reason to fight for what will amount to nothing more than a short extension in the grand scheme of things. A lot of things are simply out of my control and for some reason I've become fine with that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: TTTDawg, FATE
Clemdawg #2012271 04/22/23 06:55 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Interesting story behind Melody Gardot.

She was hit by a SUV while on a bike. She was a teen. The accident nearly killed her. Crippled her and caused brain damage. She lost the ability to speak. Slowing gaining it back. She was in chronic pain and was taking serious doses pf pain killers.

She had read about music as a healing therapy. She had played piano and decided to try it as treatment. She threw away all her prescription drugs.

She became Melody Gardot. It was the music that reordered her brain.

So, Clem you may experience loss of physical dexterity but more than likely you will never suffer cognitive loss.

When I went for my annual physical the doc asked about what I do for entertainment. I told him I listen to music all the time. He said "good" using your hearing is important. In many ways listening to music for me is communication.

I feel very fortunate physically. But again it is my loved ones that are a concern.

bonefish #2012275 04/22/23 07:29 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
I am reminded that I am in my 50's after a day of strenuous yard work. But overall, I really don't think about it other than I remember thinking people in their 50's and 60's seemed like the cliché grey haired grandparent stereotypes when I was younger, which is not true.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
FloridaFan #2012278 04/22/23 08:03 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
As you age you will think about it because you will see those around you change.

You will be in conversation with friends your age and see them searching for words. It will happen.

You will be more aware because it is a natural progression.

bonefish #2012283 04/22/23 08:49 AM
Legend
Legend
I want to reiterate something I brought up this past summer. If you're contemplating a knee replacement, do it now. I put it off for 2 years, and it really hampered my ability to work out and be active. I had the surgery last June, and I'm still trying to get my cardio and flexibility back to where it was. The knee is doing great, I'm able to squat, climb ladders, bike, etc. The rest of my body has to catch up to the new kid on the block. The older you get, the harder it is to get it back.....there's definitely a point of no return. At my age, you can't just let things go.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
PitDAWG #2012287 04/22/23 10:54 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We all make choices regarding our own health.

Some things we can control. Some things we can not.

We can choose to drink, smoke, over eat, eat unhealthy, exercise or not. We can't choose genetics.

The reality is dementia and or alzheimer's will hit some of us or our loved ones.

No matter what we choose life will happen. There is no such thing as a normal life: there is only life.

And like Nature itself it will take it's own direction.

jfanent #2012302 04/22/23 01:31 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by jfanent
I want to reiterate something I brought up this past summer. If you're contemplating a knee replacement, do it now. I put it off for 2 years, and it really hampered my ability to work out and be active. I had the surgery last June, and I'm still trying to get my cardio and flexibility back to where it was. The knee is doing great, I'm able to squat, climb ladders, bike, etc. The rest of my body has to catch up to the new kid on the block. The older you get, the harder it is to get it back.....there's definitely a point of no return. At my age, you can't just let things go.

jfan???

Curious.....

Sounds like you had only 1 knee replaced?

I had the option of having only "one" done or "both" done at the same time. I opted for both at the same time.

Knowing the surgery would be painful I figured I wouldn't have twice the pain having both knees replaced at the same as opposed to just one. I'd just be in pain.

Best decision I've ever made.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

bonefish #2012322 04/22/23 03:38 PM
Legend
Legend
I agree. The slow flow of movement is a stress killer. I am a type A junkie for conflict for most of my life. Feeling your center, moving energy, and feeling balanced afterward surprised me. I also have lifted and been active in sports; I was amazed how this art "stacks the body" using it and stretching to give you more workout than I believed was possible. I miss it a lot after a medical operation, but despite the mystery it paid me some lasting benefits. Can't do it anymore as far as the forms, but the breathing stays with you. Recommended once again.

YTownBrownsFan #2012336 04/22/23 04:48 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
I just hit 60 today. Age may be just a number, but it's getting bigger every year. crazy

LOL.

I was going to say it might be a number, but we are talking about aging.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
YTownBrownsFan #2012340 04/22/23 05:12 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

Happy Birthday!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2012352 04/22/23 08:23 PM
Legend
Legend
Thank you.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
TTTDawg #2012358 04/22/23 10:14 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by TTTDawg
Originally Posted by jfanent

jfan???

Curious.....

Sounds like you had only 1 knee replaced?

I had the option of having only "one" done or "both" done at the same time. I opted for both at the same time.

Knowing the surgery would be painful I figured I wouldn't have twice the pain having both knees replaced at the same as opposed to just one. I'd just be in pain.

Best decision I've ever made.

I only had one done, my other one's in decent shape. I have the utmost respect for those that have had both knees replaced at the same time. I can't imagine how you got around those first few weeks. I was using the other knee to do the heavy lifting on stairs, getting up from the toilet and whatnot.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
bonefish #2012400 04/23/23 01:22 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
My father started taking me fishing when I was about five. I took my son on fly fishing trips all over the place.

River fishing in waders for trout, steelhead, and salmon is not easy. It is physically demanding.

You can not go fish for an hour or so and expect much to happen. It does not work that way. You have to put in the time and make lots of casts.

My issue now at 75 is osteoarthritis. Wear and tear arthritis. It hits the joints. In my case the knuckles in the feet as well as mid back.

After an hour or so I begin to get pain and at that point it is no longer fun.

So, now I have the time and money to go anywhere but can no longer do the type of fishing I really love.

Two summers ago I went to a lodge in New Brunswick, Canada to fish for Atlantic salmon. They are considered the greatest of all gamefish.

The good thing is in Canada a non resident has to have a guide and the fishing is done from long canoes. I can do it with no pain.

The bad part is wild Atlantic salmon are basically endangered and very hard to catch. You get few chances if any. It is highly regulated and all catch and release which is fine by me. When I went 2 years ago I fished for three days and never made contact. The river was hit with record low water.

It is costly like a grand a day. That is lodging, food, boat, guide. When you do a trip like that you want to share the experience. I don't anybody anymore who can do it. My son could but normally he is touring in the summer so he is unable.

I am thinking go ahead and give a try again. Kind of a bucket list thing for me. But I waver about doing it.

It is that damn aging thing.

bonefish #2012432 04/23/23 11:45 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Man. If I had time I’d come join you.

[Linked Image]
PortlandDawg #2012434 04/24/23 07:06 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
One of the owners is going to call today to let me know what is open.

The best time is mid May to July. The season ends 9/30.

Migratory fish like Atlantic's are a crap shoot because it is all about the water. How much. What temperature. Whatever triggers them to enter the river from the ocean.

https://www.restigouchelodge.com/

Let me know. PM me.

bonefish #2012441 04/24/23 09:10 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
That’s right at the busiest time of my year. I have art heading to Burning Man at the end of August, and another large scale commission due by mid October. I’m not even sure if I’ll have time to fish locally during this fall’s steelhead run.

[Linked Image]
PortlandDawg #2012444 04/24/23 09:35 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am contemplating a trip to Manitoba, Canada for trophy pike.

More action than fishing for Atlantic's. Not the same fish at all. Pike on top water streamers with a fly rod can be heart thumping.

Price is a little less. But you can use any type of equipment. Atlantic's are fly fishing only.

bonefish #2012908 04/27/23 05:57 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I read this thread while I was suspended and wanted to reply, but I forgot what I wanted to say.

1 member likes this: FATE
Versatile Dog #2013385 04/29/23 11:34 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Read it again.

Sometimes you have to prime the pump.

bonefish #2013388 04/29/23 11:40 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V