DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Swish Post Game - 11/29/20 09:14 PM
Cut sendejo!!!

We’re 8-3!!! We’re guaranteed to not have a losing season!!

And more importantly, we’re still in the drivers seat for the playoffs!!

8-3!!!! Omg guys!!!

Nick Chubb for president!!!!
Posted By: RocketOptimist Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:14 PM
We won.

Hunt and Chubb on the same offense together should be against league rules.

Baker is growing and makes dumb decisions. Stop crucifying him. Some of you would've wanted Bernie gone ASAP at this rate.

Glad we get Myles back next week.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:15 PM
We should have the #5 spot right now as well.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:16 PM
My post game thought - it's only a matter of time before Baker's subpar play comes back to bite this team. Man, he is AWFUL.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:16 PM
Winning season no matter what now. That's something.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:18 PM
This game was more stressful than it should have been.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:18 PM
8-3 !!!

Chubb is a Beast!!!

Refs were horrible !!!

Baker Missed a wide open Higgins and a wide open Hunt on 3rd and 1 !!!

Stefanski should have kicked the FG

Did I say CHUBB IS A BEAST smile
Posted By: jaybird Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:18 PM
Glad we won...

Baker overall played well but I'm concerned with some of the wide open guys he missed...

The call to not kick the field goal late was a head scratcher.... if we're going for it I would have preferred somethign with a FB or a QB sneak...

some of those penalties were unreal...

defense had a poor game... let's hope we can get a few guys healthy and get back to full strength going into a playoff push...

we're gonna get tore up on the ground next week if the run defense doesn't improve...

oh... and Chubb should be MVP...
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:19 PM
Baker had a lot of nice throws, but also had the yips at times. Settle down Bake.
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:19 PM
We won 3 times. The refs took the first two victories away from us. One with a bs roughing the passer. The other on a bs holding call. If Nick Chubb doesn’t get that first down, we punt and Jacksonville ends up kicking a fog for the win. This game and these officials need to be sent in for review.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:19 PM
Progress yes we can't have a losing season for the first time in 13 years ...

Work to do absolutely ... On Defense and Baker has to be better ...
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:20 PM
Defense sorely needs Myles and ward back, plus about 8 new players. Offense is being held back by QB. We should be running a lot more. Chubb and hunt could have 1200 each with a full season. Chubb doing his best to make up for lost time. Big problem next week. Henry could have a Jamal Lewis like day against this defense. 8-3 is huge and going in the right direction.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:20 PM
It's good we won and are 8-3 but that was a lot tougher than it should have been. What's up with Baker and short passes? The Browns have a lot to clean up.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:20 PM
It will be nice if Myles Garrett can come back.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:20 PM
Zebras tried, but they couldn't jacksonville this win away from us today!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Baker had a lot of nice throws, but also had the tips at times. Settle down Bake.

It almost seems that Baker really zone in on the impossible throws, and then freezes up on the easy throws. Weird.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:21 PM
Baker will get heavily criticized this week in the press, and he will deserve every bit of it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Baker will get heavily criticized this week in the press, and he will deserve every bit of it.

Whiffing on wide open receivers on huge plays will do that.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:23 PM
Definitely a lot of questionable calls by the refs.

However, baker needs to do better hitting his receivers. That being said, he still threw some beautiful passes, and Landry had himself a game!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:24 PM
We have a better record than anyone in the NFC
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:25 PM

He missed some throws, but he also made quite a few "tight window" throws. That big 3rd down conversion in the shadow of their own goalposts was a big boy throw for sure.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:25 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Baker had a lot of nice throws, but also had the tips at times. Settle down Bake.

It almost seems that Baker really zone in on the impossible throws, and then freezes up on the easy throws. Weird.

I'd bet money its all footwork.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:25 PM
Yes Baker will. He has to play better.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:27 PM
Yes he made difficult throws but missed a lot of easy throws also.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:28 PM
- Bad officiating throughout the game... and then it nearly cost us with those horrible calls in 4th Q.
- I'd love to see side by side cuts of the 3rd and 4th down measurements - it felt like for the 4th down the sticks were moved 2 inches.
- Should have kicked the FG, would have saved a lot of stress.
- Baker played well enough. Got a lot of hate in the game day thread again ... I guess unless he is perfect that will continue.
- Landry had a HELL of a game.
- Bryant looked mortified after his fumble - and to be fair that was a momentum changing event.
- Chubb and Hunt ... can't say enough.
- We played down to the Jags ... but people forgot who AWFUL our D is even when MG and Ward are playing ... no surprise we struggled to stop the Jags. Their RB is pretty damn good too - I can see why they let Fournette go.
- Sandejo did two things to warm me a little to him - he made a play early that was a very good play to prevent a completion (on 3rd down?) .... And more importantly when he made the game sealing defensive play at the back of the end zone there was no over the top celebrations. I liked that part a LOT.
- Stefanski's play calling was getting hammered in the game day thread too - I thought he had a very good day calling plays and managed to keep the D guessing. I didn't like the 4th down call even though it was inches ... and I didn't like the 3rd down pass before that and felt that we could/shoulda simply run it or done a QB sneak.

8-3 is pretty good and the Raiders lost. Now lets hope Ravens lose too.

Titans are going to tell us a lot about where this team is at. Hope we get a few more of our D starters back.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

I'd bet money its all footwork.
Yea it probably is.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:32 PM
I can't remember the last time we were relevant in December or what it feels like to have a winning season. I'll take game manager Baker, off target Baker, noob coaching mistakes, craptastic DC coaching, scrubs on D... Whatever gets the job done, I'll take.

Nobody thought we were going to set the world on fire this year. One more win and we meet or exceed most predictions for the team on the year. Yet everybody seems to be nitpicking every little bump along the way. They are learning to win in all the ways they need to learn to win IMHO, and it is all good. These cardiac kid-ish games just have everybody on edge is all... We will probably lose the next two games because that is what THESE fans are looking for.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:32 PM
Baker is not a finished product folks.. Ski has me scratching head again on some of his scheme .. Use a Fullback in the backfield from time to time , use Chubb and Hunt in the backfield at the same time from time to time..

Over all , I love the guy ( Ski )! Hope we have our long time Coach finally .. Not sold on Joe Woods at all .. Next years draft can be at Least two LB's , two DB's and two DL .. lol

Frustrating game by the refs... We will get eat up by Tenn. next week ..
Posted By: jaybird Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:35 PM
We have a better record than anyone in the NFC

Saints?
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:35 PM
Ill say what I've been saying the last few weeks; we won that's all that matters. We improved to 8-3 on the season and 6-12 lifetime against the Jags!!! thumbsup
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:36 PM
Kareem Hunt is very good.

Nick Chubb is soooooooooooo much better than him.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Kareem Hunt is very good.

Nick Chubb is soooooooooooo much better than him.

We are now 6-1 with Chubb in the Game ...
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:39 PM
My post game thought - it's only a matter of time before Baker's subpar play comes back to bite this team. Man, he is AWFUL.

He is better than our defense.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:42 PM
8-3 looks great to me but deep down I know this isn't an 8-3 team. We can beat the bad to mediocre teams but not the top echelon ones. The last games against Pitt. Balt. and Tenn. will prove me right. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it. JMO
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:42 PM
Stefanski should have kicked the field goal, was saying it before the dubious spots by the officials. Home team gets those, I guess.

The refs made it close. The personal foul on Vernon was horse-hockey.

Chubb doin Chubb things, Baker made some very good throws - and racked up another W - but he’s gotta set when he throws while rolling right. Landry had a big game.

8-3 now.
Posted By: bluecollarball Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:43 PM

I can't say I totally disagree. He misses far too many easy ones. I am hoping Van Pelt smooths out these wrinkles. I can look past the scheme and being in rhythm or lack thereof but his accuracy gets suspect on critical plays.

Chubb/Hunt continue to dominate. They own that field.

At least we are winning the games we should. Now we gotta win the ones that count.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:43 PM
252 passing/207 rushing...I'll take that every time
2 tds passing/1 td rushing...eh, I'd like to see more rushing td's
2 missed passes for td's...unacceptable
143 yds rushing for Chubb...winner
144 yds receiving for Landry...winner
7 different receiver receptions...winner
0 turnovers...winner
1 dropped pass for TD...unacceptable

On to 9-3.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:44 PM
Agree about seeing Chubb and Hunt play together more often. IMO, it would open things up for both of them.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:44 PM
Sorry Landry had a monster game 8 Catches 143 Yards and 1 TD smile
Posted By: BarkinMad Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:46 PM
Ok, Giants and Jets are winnable games. That leaves The Titans, Ravens, and Steelers. If we're not healthy, all losses. If we put this same team taht faced Jax on the field against any of the power teams, Browns get crushed.

If we're healthy, then we have a chance to win just one of those three power games, and beat the Giants and Jets and make the playoffs. 10-6 might get us a wildcard spot, 11-5 should.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:47 PM
The Browns were just a made 2 point conversion away from OT against a 1-9 team. Yea I'm happy they won and our turning around a losing culture. I just don't want to see them get blown out in the playoffs. If they are going to beat good teams on a consistent bases they have to play better.

It's a lot better talking about a winning team than a losing one. That's for sure.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:50 PM
Could not agree more. My sentiments exactly!!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:50 PM
- I need to stop betting Browns games.

- Baker missed a wide open Higgins for a TD, Landry for a TD on the next play, Landry on short pass on a rollout and Hunt on an easy 3rd down completion. He also hit tight windows. Frustrating.

- Haley Joel Osment fumbled again and dropped a TD pass.

- Chubb is amazing. Hunt is great.

- Happy to see Landry have a big game.

- Never really doubted we would lose this game.

- Nice job by D'Ernest Johnson on KRs.

- Great game by the OL.

- Stefanski has this team winning close game that the Browns typically have found a way to blow.

- Raiders lose. Colts lose. Browns currently have the 5th seed.

- Another week. Another win.
Posted By: BarkinMad Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
The Browns were just a made 2 point conversion away from OT against a 1-9 team. Yea I'm happy they won and our turning around a losing culture. I just don't want to see them get blown out in the playoffs. If they are going to beat good teams on a consistent bases they have to play better.

It's a lot better talking about a winning team than a losing one. That's for sure.

8-3 is a winning record, best we've had at this point in the season since 2002, maybe even better? I can't recall. IF we do make the playoffs, it will be as a wildcard team, they re generally noted for being the weaker teams in he playoffs, so, not expected to go far and I think that would be the case for hte Browns, maybe win the Wildcard game but I think that would be it, for now. It would be more exciting than what we usually get, no team to root for in post season.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:52 PM
You're right the Browns have to get healthy or they will get crushed by the Titans, Ravens, and Steelers. I think they will beat the Giants and Jets regardless. There is an extra wildcard spot this year so 10-6 should get them into the playoffs.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

LMAO

thumbsup
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:54 PM

Posted By: RedBaron Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:56 PM
No doubt Baker missing 3 open shots was frustrating, but then he also hit on some ridiculous throws. That sideline strike to Hodge was insanity in that window.

Maybe he is rushing his step when someone gets so wide open it's crazy. Either way, that has to get cleaned up.

First time in ages I complained about officiating, but dang. Two of the weakest holding calls I've seen while simultaneously ignoring the blatant tripping attempt? Roughing the passer on Vernon even though he lead in with his shoulder? The just strange series of spotting the ball short twice while initially taking away Cleveland's timeout and challenge? How does Tretter get 2 holds with his hands inside the pads, while that Jax OT doesn't get a single hold on the first two times Vernon beat him around the outside with the OT grabbing him while being blown by was wild.

Really weird game. Should have won by 2+ TD's (Heck if Baker hits his open misses in the end zone early and Harrison holds onto the dang ball, we win by 4 or so.

Weird game. But now we have a 2 game lead for the wildcard on the Colts (via tie-break) and the Raiders. With Lamar out should have a 2 game lead on the Ravens come Wednesday morning.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: BarkinMad

T
8-3 is a winning record, best we've had at this point in the season since 2002, maybe even better? I can't recall. IF we do make the playoffs, it will be as a wildcard team, they re generally noted for being the weaker teams in he playoffs, so, not expected to go far and I think that would be the case for hte Browns, maybe win the Wildcard game but I think that would be it, for now. It would be more exciting than what we usually get, no team to root for in post season.
The Browns have taken a big step in the right direction. Depending on who they play, with the RBs and WRs they have, and when they get Myles and Ward back, could win a playoff game. If they don't it will still be a good season. The best we have seen in years!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 09:59 PM
You're right the Browns have to get healthy or they will get crushed by the Titans, Ravens, and Steelers. I think they will beat the Giants and Jets regardless. There is an extra wildcard spot this year so 10-6 should get them into the playoffs.

I Guarantee you they don't beat both the Giants and Jets.

Have you seen how hard it is to win a road game, with
The Referees guaranteed to give you multiple bad calls?

Today was a road game,

I guarantee they can't beat "both" the Giants and the Jets, No Way.

Unless,... someone like 2 or 3 more R. Higgins's's join the squad in the next 3 weeks
and Beckham came back healthy to go back to putting up 39 points per game.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 10:01 PM
I think we will be one and done if we make playoffs. If we play a really good game and get lucky we may win one. However, the taste of making the playoffs not to mention the experience that goes with it is invaluable. That counts for a lot with a young and somewhat talented team.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 10:02 PM
I hope Garrett can play at Tennessee
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I think we will be one and done if we make playoffs. If we play a really good game and get lucky we may win one. However, the taste of making the playoffs not to mention the experience that goes with it is invaluable. That counts for a lot with a young and somewhat talented team.

As of right now we'd play Buffalo. That's a winnable game for us. If we end up the 7th seed playing against the Chiefs then we get smoked in the first round.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

I Guarantee you they don't beat both the Giants and Jets.

Have you seen how hard it is to win a road game, with
The Referees guaranteed to give you multiple bad calls?

Today was a road game,

I guarantee they can't beat "both" the Giants and the Jets, No Way.

Unless,... someone like 2 or 3 more R. Higgins's's join the squad in the next 3 weeks
and Beckham came back healthy to go back to putting up 39 points per game.
Ok maybe not the Giants but they should definitely beat the Jets. Weird having two back to back road games in New York.
Posted By: myka Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:05 PM
After the third of 12 terrible calls by the Refs favoring Jacksonville, I looked up the point spread for the game. It was Jags + 7 and we were winning by 8. It all made sense from there. I took a deep breath, relaxed and figured we'd win by 2 or 3. We did. Thanks NFL/Vegas.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:05 PM
It's funny .... I was reading an article by Terry Pluto the other day, and he opined that no one had the Browns at the record that were at. (7-3 when he wrote the article) Teams need to learn how to win games. Bad teams can artificially seem close to getting it by losing games close. How many times over the past 20 or so years have we thought that about the Browns? That said, the Browns are now beating the bad teams.

Are they really a Super Bowl contender? Nope. They are lacking talent at too many spots on defense. (especially) We are beating the bad teams on our schedule. We beat Indy, and a bunch of poor teams. We still have 2 "should" wins left, @Jets and @Giants, and 3 tough games @Tenn, and at home against Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

10 wins? Do we steal a win against the other 3 for 11? Do we "old Browns" up one of the 2 NY games? We'll see. Frankly I am astonished that this team, dealing with a lot of high profile injuries, has been resilient enough to get to this point.

No real off-season program.

We've had injuries to guys like Teller, Chubb, OBJ, Garrett, Harrison, and now also Ward. Plus, in this game, how many others were out due to either Covid or other injuries?

We really don't have the depth to handle these injuries, yet we have in most games.

I am satisfied to thrilled, with the coaching staff. Penalties and stupid mistakes have been way down. I believe I read that the Browns were not allowed to have any full team practices this week. It was just socially distant offense against air, and I am not sure if the defense got any physical work at all.

Overall it was a messier game than it probably should have been, but I think there were a lot of factors ... and I think that Stefanski almost make a fatal error by not taking the FG up by 8 with about 5 minutes left.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Not sure that will matter.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:07 PM
But I hope he plays.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:08 PM
A team has 4 dbs out , the Jags, and your team

doesn't make more of a concentrated effort to exploit them deep.

The ONLY

deep exploitative pass Baker has thrown, and he appeared to throw it with ease, in about 7 of the games played this year,

ended up being when the flag was thrown for offsides today, and he knew he had a free play.

which leads me to believe, Baker is interception shy to throw a deep deep pass which the Browns player may come down with.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:08 PM
I’ll add one thing I haven’t seen on here yet (maybe I missed it):

- Hodge has been an unsung hero for us a few different times this year. He was big again today
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:08 PM
Ok maybe not the Giants but they should definitely beat the Jets. Weird having two back to back road games in New York.

At the same stadium!
I think we can win both games.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: pfm1963

Not sure that will matter.
It would help.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:11 PM
If Baker can hit his throws, especially to wide open guys, we have a Super Bowl caliber O. However, our D at this point even when healthy, is barely good enough to get a 6 or 7th seed. we need about another 5 or 6 players on D to bring it up to contender status.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:11 PM
Most importantly, it was a win.
There are things on which to improve, of course.
But, you’ll not catch me griping about a win.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:12 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

At the same stadium!
I think we can win both games.
Yea it is at the same stadium. Strange! I think we can win both games also but the Giants are starting to play better.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:13 PM
I’m more concerned about the turf at the NY stadium than either of the teams we plays.
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 10:14 PM
J/C Nick Chubb is a beast.
- I want to Rip Stefanski for the 3-inchs and 4th and inchs calls. WTF QB sneak or Chubb up the middle. Dont get cute, he did and it almost cost us.
- Baker looked great and bad, he has to hit those easy throws. I think we run Boot way too much, go shotgun so he can see the receivers actually run the routes sometimes.
- I am proud of our road wins, we would have found a way to lose this game in the past, instead we overcame adversity/ HORRIBLE REF BS calls.
- Considering our injuries on D, they have played pretty well, Sendejo drives me nuts but he makes enough plays to stay in the lineup.
-Special Teams are playing pretty good, Peoples-Jones and D' Johnson need to be coached up on decision making, but the coverage units and kicking are sound.
- Overrall we are doing well and beating the teams we should beat, next 2 weeks we will need all hands on deck and a little good fortune. BO BROWNS!!!!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:15 PM
Giants lost their QB
Posted By: slick Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:16 PM
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
We won.

Hunt and Chubb on the same offense together should be against league rules.

Baker is growing and makes dumb decisions. Stop crucifying him. Some of you would've wanted Bernie gone ASAP at this rate.

Glad we get Myles back next week.

They wont stop. They laminate his bad throws today but say nothing when he threaded the needle for some excellent passes and TD's. Luckily for them baker was not a berry guy so I'm pretty sure we try to move up in the draft to get a QB
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:18 PM
Maybe we can get some type of team discount for playing at the same stadium 2 weeks in a row!! brownie
Posted By: Squires Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:22 PM
We're going to play meaningful football in December.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:36 PM
this just in

Jaguars fire their GM David Caldwell after loss to the Browns!

where is Diam with that ~L~
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:37 PM
https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/...boger-reaction/

Jeff Risdon
November 29, 2020 4:08 pm
What would a Browns game be without some questionable officiating? The Week 12 matchup in Jacksonville proved more controversial than usual, and that’s saying something.

The worst infraction–though certainly not the only one–from referee Jerome Boger and his crew came late in the fourth quarter. With the Jaguars driving, Browns DE Olivier Vernon sacked Mike Glennon. But the 6-2 Vernon was flagged for helmet-to-helmet contact with the 6-7 Glennon on a play where his helmet literally never touched Glennon. The blown call kept the drive alive for the Jaguars, who eventually scored a touchdown on the drive.

It’s not often the volume of folks with blue checkmarks on their Twitter profiles almost unanimously attack the officiating, but that’s how bad this call was from Boger.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:38 PM
Gee, isn't that what used to happen to us after late season losses? superconfused
Posted By: Foedawg76 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:40 PM
Never in my life seen an offiating crew do everything in their power to try and gift a win to a team! Despicable!
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:47 PM
Bottlegate ring a bell?
Posted By: Foedawg76 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:53 PM
Also, never in my life,save for " touchdown johnny ", did I have to go into games hoping that we survive our own quarterback. Just saying he might not be that good ya'll
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 10:54 PM
- 8-3 is almost unfathomable after all of these years. And the top wild card, for now.

- We certainly have shown the ability to play down to lesser teams, without being able to play up to the superior ones. A win by 2 and one by 20 are the same in the standings, but it would be nice to put a team away for once. We let them all hang around the whole game.

- I mentioned this in the game day thread, but Bryant has absolutely no physicality. He is too weak to play TE in the NFL. The ball gets punched out way too easily. He is ineffective as a blocker. And he cannot catch a contested ball.

- The first challenge by Stef was a really poor decision. No way that was a TD.

- The second challenge was good. After review, the spot was really bad, IMO. Not sure of the spot after the 4th down run either.

- The two holds they got us for (one was when we were deep in our own territory and negated a nice run; the other was on the last drive) were no where near as flagrant as some of the ones JAX got away with. Zero consistency.

- Baker had some nice throws in some tight windows.

- Baker yet again missed some wide open players. And again these would be scores or 1st downs. This seems to be a trend. Each game you can count on a handful of misses on easy throws and an intentional grounding.

- In the game day thread, in that drive where we failed on 4th and inches, someone said Stef called a stupid play on 3rd down. There is a difference between the play call and execution. Hunt was wide open for the 1st and there was nothing but space behind him. The play call was fine. Baker missed Hunt who was 9 feet in front of him. That is not on Stef.

- When a receiver drops one out of 9 targets over a span of three games, people on this board call for him to be cut. When the QB misses a handful of wide open guys in each game, those same people say we are winning, so don't pick on the QB. It feels like the presidential campaigns are still in full force.

- I have been really critical of Sandejo this year. He did have a pass breakup in the end zone. And I will even give him the stop on the 2 point conversion even though the WR was already out of the back of the end zone. Easily his best game as a Brown, though the bar was not high. Still do not want him here next year.

- Chubb? Good. Landry? Good. 8-3? Sweet.
Posted By: Foedawg76 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:55 PM
"Kill the head and the body is dead", Gerard warren...
Posted By: Foedawg76 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:58 PM
Referees think they can get away with that kind of stuff. See them try that against the stoolers or crows?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 10:59 PM
Giants lost their QB

They'll probably sign a more competent one, 2 days before they play Cleveland, i.e.
the Browns could have gotton a chance to play Lutton today, who is not near as good as the Veteran Glennon is.

Pretty much, The Browns did not play a teams lesser Qb so far this year, Dak was still there in Dallas,
Burrow was in for both Browns matchups with Cincy,

Big Ben played, Lamar played, I think.

oh, reminds me

" Intercept-a-tannehill" next week.

Tannehill is a top Qb and I support him many times but his weakness is he will, Will throw int's if you bait him

so, "Intercept-a-tannehill"
Posted By: The Collector Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 11:00 PM
Baker confuses me but I understand it..

The kid misses the easy ones but knows how to ball with defenders in his face.

It feels like he overthinks his throwing when the receiver is wide open.. Felt like he was surprised at how open Higgins was and thought he was getting duped.

First year with stefanski... Dude has started to be careful with the ball. And I can see him growing. If a QB falls into Berrys lap I think he takes em.. But I do see progress with Bake as well.

Regardless Stefanski is legit and this season is shaping out to be a success. I refrain to commit to that fully atm because it all boils down to how you finish. I think hes done an amazing job so far with limited offseason

As for the rest of the season... The Jets are inept... Even with Darnold. If you watched them today at all... Who knows... Maybe they squeak out a win?

Giants might be without Jones theyve got a great offense and they might make waves next year.... But they barely squeaked out a win against Cincy without Burrow.

Derek henry is a monster. I hope garret can play. Tennesee also has a passing game.. This game is going to be the yardstick IMO of how good this team actually is....
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 11:03 PM
My postgame thoughts: Our running attack is tops. It may not look pretty in the first quarter, or even the second quarter. But, as long as we stick with it, Chubb and Hunt, and the O line, will get it done. Patience.

Few bad throws from Baker today, a few that I thought would be bad but turned out good.

Landry had a day - I'm sure he's been hoping for this all season.

Honestly, with our O line, Chubb, and Hunt..............teams we play should be nervous. As I said, it might take a half or so, but the Browns WILL bite with the run, and once they get it going, it's tough to stop.
Posted By: Foedawg76 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:08 PM
I have said it before and I'll say it again, the nfl needs to reseed for the post season according to record. The NBA and NHL does it. Get with the times Roger!!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:10 PM

Pretty much what I expected you to say.

For the record....19-29..66%, 2 TD, 0 picks, 117 QB rating.

Sorry man, I'll take that every game.

I and others are not sure what you and your "eye's" expect...lol.

I get it, he isn't a QB you like or wanted, and that's fine, but it's best to save your complaints for when the game stats don't prove your eyesight poor.
Posted By: Foedawg76 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:10 PM
11 and 5 should give us a home playoff game. Instead we could travel to a "division winner " with a 10 and 6 mark, total BS
Posted By: Riffer X Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:11 PM
Yeah>>>8-3
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 11:13 PM
And I want to add this about Nick: Dude just plays the game. No 'pointing' on a first down. If he gets tackled for a loss, he gives the ball to the ref. If he gets a big first down, he hands the ball to the ref. If he breaks a run for 20, 40 more yards, he hands the ball to the ref. If he gets a touchdown he hands the ball to the ref.
Posted By: Foedawg76 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:13 PM
Sorry to you and your eyes, mine saw a subpar performance bailed out time and time again from Spectacular catches and a stellar running game.once again he tried to lose and was bailed out,Fo Browns!!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Foedawg76
11 and 5 should give us a home playoff game. Instead we could travel to a "division winner " with a 10 and 6 mark, total BS

It is what it is. It's been that way since the wildcards were brought in to the mix. No sense complaining about it.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 11:14 PM
A little early but how do we beat Tenn. We load the box on Henry to try to stop him and play tough man to man pass D, you know, don't give them much room off the line and be physical. On O we have to keep moving the chains. If they load the box on us Baker has to make our passing game work which means he can't miss all those easy throws he has been. Keep their O off the field. That would be a start.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:14 PM
Best start since 94. Ill take it
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:15 PM
Sorry to you and your eyes, mine saw a subpar performance bailed out time and time again from Spectacular catches and a stellar running game.once again he tried to lose and was bailed out,Fo Browns!!!

It's not my eyes. My eyes see another blind poster.

Go Browns.
Posted By: Foedawg76 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:24 PM
We are 8 and 3,that's is awesome, but..... that is 7 wins versus teams with a losing record, also most of those game were waaaay too close. We are 1 and 3 against teams with a winning record, so let's be appreciative of how far we've come, but a little weary about where we have to go. Strengthen the defense, resign Chubb and get ourselves a quality gunslinger, not a broken one.
Posted By: Xanthros Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 11:25 PM
This forum cracks me up sometimes. I get it being an emotional game and all but it’s like no one has ever seen a team win a SuperBowl with a QB that’s not considered elite. Is Joe Flacco elite? Brad Johnson? Trent Dilfer? Mark Rypien? Jeff Hostetler? IMO this team is learning to win games that in the previous at least 10 years would without fail lose. Baker hasn’t thrown a pick in 4 games and finished with a 114 rating in the day. NOT AGAINST THE BENGALS no less. The national pundits are already gearing up to tear him down again for the next week over a few bad plays that YES he should have made but NO didn’t cost them the game.

My hats off to the coaching staff for navigating all the craziness that Covid brought with it.

Extra special shout out to Callie Brownson for elevating and pioneering a pathway to anyone who is being told you aren’t allowed to be who you want to be.

This year and this team are doing special things and have taken us to 8-3 for the first time since 1989 when they started 7-3-1.

Go Browns
Posted By: 85_Browns_Queen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 11:25 PM
New to the board but have been lurking for years. I'm extremely happy with the W, all things considered. some of y'all are awfully hard on an 8-3 team. seriously, who expected a perfect game going into this Sunday? I'm a huge Baker critic but i give him credit where its due. He came through on some needles on 3rd and longs. Thats not to give him a break on those wide open passes. It's very frustrating but im not gonna crucify him either. some of y'all might not take this win but i will!
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/29/20 11:27 PM
I think some of Baker's high passes are a result of him trying to avoid batted balls. Opposing DL have been trying to get their hands in passing lanes.

With all the video/replay technology in place and/or available, bringing the chains across the field for measurements feels stupid. It's like they want a way to allow the officials to influence that sort of decision.
Posted By: Foedawg76 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:28 PM
Not trying to complain but just seeing a Way to improve the game.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:28 PM

There was some spots of brilliance as well... That back shoulder pass to landry on that TD was solid.

The second TD was also direct to the receiver.

Most of his throws tend to be pretty on point.

Its just that he needs to tie up and reduce the bone headed plays that kill drives
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:29 PM
We are 8 and 3,that's is awesome, but..... that is 7 wins versus teams with a losing record, also most of those game were waaaay too close. We are 1 and 3 against teams with a winning record, so let's be appreciative of how far we've come, but a little weary about where we have to go. Strengthen the defense, resign Chubb and get ourselves a quality gunslinger, not a broken one.

Just out of curiosity - what was our record against losing teams with Hue? .... hell what's been our record against losing teams since 1999? .... how many games that we "shoulda won" did we lose during the last 20 years?

I'll take the wins no matter how they come. Someone smart in the "How do we beat the Jags" thread pointed out how the Jags only lost by 4 to Green Bay - only by 2 points to Houston. Folks look at 1-9 and *assume* they are cup cakes. Glennon also played better than their other QB's so far this season. *** Want to add that their RB is very good - and their rookie WR Shenault also looks to me like he is going to be something of a stud.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:33 PM
Not trying to complain but just seeing a Way to improve the game.

Cool. I do understand. I'd like us to get a home game too, but it has always been division winners first. We know that going in to this thing.

Someday, it could work the other way, then it wouldn't seem like such a good idea....and welcome to the board.
Posted By: hitt Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:39 PM
JMHO, Baker missed easy throws, the absolute dart he threw Laundry near our goal could have easily been intercepted, small differences. I think our great ROOKIE coach screwed up at end, didn't make it on 4th down and up 8. I was begging him to kick a field goal- make it 11 pt game with just under 4 min. I think he screwed up. Analytics probably says go for it....yet we could have lost the game......NOT GOOD.....go Browns!!!!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I get it, he isn't a QB you like or wanted, and that's fine, but it's best to save your complaints for when the game stats don't prove your eyesight poor.

this.

I'll take this every game
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:41 PM

Just out of curiosity - what was our record against losing teams with Hue? .... hell what's been our record against losing teams since 1999? .... how many games that we "shoulda won" did we lose during the last 20 years?

I'll take the wins no matter how they come. Someone smart in the "How do we beat the Jags" thread pointed out how the Jags only lost by 4 to Green Bay - only by 2 points to Houston. Folks look at 1-9 and *assume* they are cup cakes. Glennon also played better than there other QB's so far this season. *** Want to add that their RB is very good - and their rookie WR Shenault also looks to me like he is going to be something of a stud.

I agree. A few years ago we were complaining because we couldn't win any games.

Now we are beating the bottom dwellers and pushing to be one of the better teams. Maybe we are just accustomed to complaining.

Me, I am pretty happy. No doubt we need to get better to compete against the elite teams on a regular basis, but for the here and now, no complaints here.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:43 PM
Its nice we are talking about playoffs and not who is getting fired and next years draft smile
Posted By: myka Re: Post Game - 11/29/20 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Giants lost their QB

They'll probably sign a more competent one, 2 days before they play Cleveland, i.e.
the Browns could have gotton a chance to play Lutton today, who is not near as good as the Veteran Glennon is.

Pretty much, The Browns did not play a teams lesser Qb so far this year, Dak was still there in Dallas,
Burrow was in for both Browns matchups with Cincy,

Big Ben played, Lamar played, I think.

oh, reminds me

" Intercept-a-tannehill" next week.

Tannehill is a top Qb and I support him many times but his weakness is he will, Will throw int's if you bait him

so, "Intercept-a-tannehill"

yeah also won't Lamar Jackson return from Covid 2 days before Browns game? haha, seems like it's every game every year we get the worst case situation, but hey...

WE'RE 8-3!!! WOOOOO
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:03 AM
I keep thinking Ski is holding back for a BIG game ..
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:10 AM
When do they have to announce if they are flexing the Titans/Browns game to Sunday night? Thought it was like 8 days or something.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
When do they have to announce if they are flexing the Titans/Browns game to Sunday night? Thought it was like 8 days or something.

They usually announce it Sunday night.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:12 AM
They just announced we are playing at 1pm next week. We will be the number 1 game at that time slot.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:17 AM
Jarvis made his best game of the season.
Nick Chubb had a normal day on the office.
Baker made easy mistakes but again he navigated his offensive line to enough points on the score board. Say what you want but I’m confident with him as our future QB.

Stefanski has a vey high lowest level when it come to decision making. That’s why we won today despite injuries and plenty of individual mistakes.

No individual criticism against anyone when we’re 8-3. Only good vibes after a win in a away game with the refs who’s doing their best to make it hard for us.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
They just announced we are playing at 1pm next week. We will be the number 1 game at that time slot.

Good, hate Sunday night games cause I have to take sick days.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:19 AM
Was totally gonna post the flex rules...

They have to announce 12 days in advance... With the exception of week 17 which is a guaranteed game to have playoff implications..

You bet your butt if the Steelers are 15 and 0 going into week 17 that theyll get that game
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:23 AM
I meant to mention Schobert. Watching him try to tackle Chubb and Hart made me realize that while we are weak at LB I do not think he would have been the answer. Jack on the other hand ....

I remember after week 1 Scho tweeted about how nice it was that he was finally 1-0, and his old team was 0-1 yet again. He has not mentioned records since then.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:24 AM
I really wanted them to flex out Denver and KC from SNF ... that’ll be so dumb. But, I get why they’re keeping it
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:25 AM
Giants brought in our lil' Colt McCoy today when Daniel Jones hurt his hammy. Not sure how long Jones will be out, but I'm sure McCoy would love a chance to screw our season up. I don't think he could, but I'm sure he'd like to try.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:29 AM
Fun fact

we currently have the 6th best record in the NFL
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:45 AM
Before todays game I think we would have drawn the 24 slot in the 2021 draft.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:55 AM
Browns won 2 games in a row without Myles Garrett or Odell Beckham.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 12:55 AM
[quote=Bull_Dawg]I think some of Baker's high passes are a result of him trying to avoid batted balls. Opposing DL have been trying to get their hands in passing lanes.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw saw of the replay of his wide open end zone pass (to Higgins IIRC). One of the Jag linemen had their hands up right in line with the play so I think Baker was trying to avoid a tipped ball. Not to excuse him missing it, just an observation.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:55 AM
I think Baker needs to calm down. It is usually when a guy is wide open he overthrows. I think his excitement gets the better of him. High emotions can be good and bad when playing QB.

Jacksonville has played a lot of teams tough, I knew it wouldn't be a beat down. IMO, Glennon is a better QB than anyone on their roster.

Our Dline is baffling. No push today and horrible against the run. Then in other games they look like they command the LOS. Inconsistent.

As bad as the spot was on the first Hunt run, if you noticed, the spot on the ball the second time was placed in the exact same spot almost, plus the nose was even with the stick. That's a first down. If the nose touches the stick, it is good.

Losing Harrison hurts the D big time. He is a good player against the run. Our LBs are the worst. I hope Ward and Garrett can play next week. Tannehill can make some plays, and Henry will run all over us.

All in all, they won. I'm tired of the "beat only bad teams" mantra. Pittsburgh is 10-0, most of those wins are against the same "bad" teams. You play who is scheduled.

No losing record this year is fantastic. Win one more and we are guaranteed a winning record. I'll take it, it has been a long time. If this team makes the playoffs, their goal will be achieved. I expect them to be better, just like many others, but not having an offseason to install the offense and defense, is holding them back. The injuries are also been hurting.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:57 AM
One thing I noticed, sometimes he opens up his body and doesn’t throw towards his target ... and it leads to high passes. His footwork seems off at times
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:04 AM
Browns are doing a good job of closing out games, despite some bad play.

Baker Mayfield is definitely going to want a handful of today's throws back. Still, 19/29 with 2 TD and no picks is a nice day.

What more can you say about Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. These guys continue to help the Browns finish these games.

Jarvis Landry was a monster today. Hodge had a few nice plays. Didn't notice Higgins on the field.

I thought the defense did what they could today. They were without 2 guys going to the pro bowl this year as absolute shoe-ins. They lost Harrison early. It definitely helped that we faced Mike Glennon and that offense, instead of Tannehill and Derrick Henry, but they found a way.

Hopefully guys start getting back, and they can finish strong over these next 5.

For years we were that team just finishing on the wrong end of close games, now that we are winning, don't let anyone tell you it was just the jaguars, or it was just some other team. We were told we are what our record says it is back when we were winning 4 games a year.

The Browns for this 2020 season need to just get into the playoffs and get that taste.

The Falcons did us a favor today. This Titans game next week is HUGE. You've got the uppder hand against the Colts with the win over them earlier in the year, you lost that upper hand against the Raiders. If you can take out the Titans, you really are setting yourself up to not have to worry about any craziness in the last week or two of the year.

It's funny that fans get on other fans about looking ahead, and I don't know if some just don't realize it, but FANS HAVE NO EFFECT ON THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. We are supposed to be looking ahead. Come up with every scenario your heart desires.

With that said, I love that Kevin Stefanski seems to have really sold these guys on this 1-0 mindset. It's working. Guys seem to be unified on that front. I am so glad that when this offseason comes, we don't have to jump into that circle of all the other teams looking for new coaches. Lions, Texans and Falcons are already there, and you just know there will be more on the way.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:04 AM
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...2020-155669378/

It’s crazy how good Chubb is
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

His cutting, and the timing of those cuts is so damn good, and separates him from most of the backs in the league. He's not just fast and agile, but he's tremendous with his feet.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:07 AM
I know it’s like he’s the perfect RB ... and this scheme is like a hand in a glove
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
Didn't notice Higgins on the field.

I could swear everyone noticed him in the endzone all by his lonesome.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:14 AM
Maybe we should sign James Harrison just for that game. Bet Colt would love to see him out there.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 01:17 AM
Also, never in my life,save for " touchdown johnny ", did I have to go into games hoping that we survive our own quarterback. Just saying he might not be that good ya'll

You must not have been watching the Browns for long. I am trying to think of one QB since the return that I would take over Baker.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:27 AM
Quote:
....don't let anyone tell you it was just the jaguars, or it was just some other team. We were told we are what our record says it is back when we were winning 4 games a year.

This. These Jags lost to GB by 4 and Tennessee by 3, on their fields. Both needed 4th qtr scores at home to beat the Jags. If we would have told any of the whiners at the beginning of the season that we'd be 8-3 at this point with some ugly wins, they would have been elated.

Sheesh. Sit back and enjoy meaningful football going into December for a change instead of whining about how the W's don't meet your standards.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 01:34 AM
Of all the quarterbacks who have started for the Browns who are currently active in the NFL, I can confidently say that Baker is the best active Browns QB

Stefanski says that he trusts Mayfield and that he is "running the show"

So Im 100 percent behind him
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:34 AM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
Didn't notice Higgins on the field.

I could swear everyone noticed him in the endzone all by his lonesome.
brownie
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:55 AM
Haley Joel Osment fumbled again and dropped a TD pass.

Posted By: Hammer Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 01:58 AM
Not for nothing, but Baker is the best QB the Browns have had since Bernie and it is not even close.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 02:01 AM
Originally Posted By: slick
They laminate his bad throws

I printed stills of all his misses, covered them in a glossy plastic, framed them, and put them on my wall.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 02:06 AM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Bottlegate ring a bell?

Or the Rudd helmet game.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 02:08 AM

I both like and want Baker. Actually, I thought Rosen was going to be the best QB in the draft. I liked Allen the year before after I saw him play live against Reno. I never wanted Baker but I didn't not want him either. I trusted Dorsey and Wolf. After Baker's rookie year I was ecstatic.

I want Baker to be the guy because I don't want to start over at QB just like I dont want to start over at coach. But Baker is inconsistent. Has not improved from game 1 to game 11. I want to see more from the QB.

Those stats are only impressive if you didn't actually watch the game.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 02:19 AM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: slick
They laminate his bad throws

I printed stills of all his misses, covered them in a glossy plastic, framed them, and put them on my wall.

"Twenty-seven 8x10 color glossy photographs, with circle and arrows, and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was."
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 02:45 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

This is the frustrating thing, he makes throws like the ones above and then botches easy throws on the regular. I don’t get it.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 02:53 AM
This is the frustrating thing, he makes throws like the ones above and then botches easy throws on the regular. I don’t get it.

This.

I've been saying for weeks that 3rd and 5 or shorter is a guaranteed punt. 3rd and 10 or longer and we've got a chance.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 02:54 AM
This says it all to me.

"Actually, I thought Rosen was going to be the best QB in the draft."

You lose all credibility right there.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 02:57 AM
I didn't know I had any credibility to lose.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 02:59 AM

100%... though I'd like to see how he does his second year in Stefanski's offense... give him some solid/consistent coaching...
Posted By: 85_Browns_Queen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 03:03 AM
yup. yet gets crapped on for passes that every QB in the league misses from time to time (not including the wide open td pass). he makes mistakes just like everybody else but you'd swear he was the only one
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 03:10 AM
I don't see a lot of QBs missing wide open guys at the rate Baker does. You see bad QB play league wide but it's due to various reasons. Stefanski runs a very QB friendly system. His scheme gives Baker so gimme throws that he just misses.

If it doesn't stop it will cost the Browns a game or more. We are fortunate it hasn't to date. It's going to really suck when that's the reason we lose a game.

And I agree with jaybird...I hope we see improvement in year 2 under the same system.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 03:12 AM
j/c...

I've noticed in the past 2-3 games that Baker has effectively used the hard count to get defenses to jump offsides.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 03:21 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw him miss some of the absolute easiest throws. Then follow up either immediately after or later on and make basically the same throw with a slightly higher or significantly higher level of difficulty.

I'll have to go back and re-check, but on those bad misses, his footwork/body positioning looked all kinds of out-of-whack. Not sure why that would be (again, need to re-look).
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 03:32 AM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm pretty sure I saw him miss some of the absolute easiest throws. Then follow up either immediately after or later on and make basically the same throw with a slightly higher or significantly higher level of difficulty.

I'll have to go back and re-check, but on those bad misses, his footwork/body positioning looked all kinds of out-of-whack. Not sure why that would be (again, need to re-look).

This suggests that he's still working on changes and getting them to be second-nature. When he gets lazy, or rushed, or whatever, it sounds like he forgets the coaching points he was given, and the next time around he's more cognizant of it and he gets the better results.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
....don't let anyone tell you it was just the jaguars, or it was just some other team. We were told we are what our record says it is back when we were winning 4 games a year.

This. These Jags lost to GB by 4 and Tennessee by 3, on their fields. Both needed 4th qtr scores at home to beat the Jags. If we would have told any of the whiners at the beginning of the season that we'd be 8-3 at this point with some ugly wins, they would have been elated.

Sheesh. Sit back and enjoy meaningful football going into December for a change instead of whining about how the W's don't meet your standards.

This is why I don't really get into expert predictions in July and August. You could have looked at this game a lot differently than you did today. There are just so many things that happen for better or worse over the course of a football season. Browns took care of business today, and that's all that matters. And you are right that this Jags team has challenged some of the better teams in the league.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Hammer
This says it all to me.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:23 AM
j/c...

This week's reference: Ron Swanson.

Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:27 AM
This says it all to me.

I dunno man, he certainly wasn't the only one saying that. I definitely heard more talk about Rosen at 1 than Baker.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:57 AM
I heard a lot of "Youd be stupid to not take Darnold" talk
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 05:13 AM
j/c

There is a lot of discussion that I've not been part of. Here are some random thoughts from watching football this weekend.

The Browns are 8-3 for the first time since before the rebirth. That alone is worth celebrating.

The Bears traded the farm for the right to draft Trubisky.

Mac Jones looks like an NFL QB

Nick Chubb has become my all-time favorite football player. I've been a football fan for nearly 60 years, so that is saying a lot!

The first week loss to the Ravens has many, even most people thinking the Ravens are on a higher level than the Browns. To that I point out 2 things. First, that game was KS first game as HC, the team's first game under a new system, with many players new to the team, and after condensed pre-season. The Ravens, with a few exceptions, were largely the same team as last year, playing for the same coaching staff and system. Of course they were at a different level of preparedness. That is no longer true. And the second point is that the Ravens, at least before Tuesday's game, look less imposing than that first game. I think we could win that game.
Posted By: Cincy_Dawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:17 PM
And a quick thought about Stefanski.... of the 5 NFL 'Rookie' Coaches IN 2020.
He has TWICE as many wins as any of the others.

Watching the game yesterday I was reminded of the old 'he turned to run before he caught it, RB line.
Baker looked to be having those same yips early.
He threw it a split second too soon.. not set... worried bout being baited...too easy a throw... who knows....
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:23 PM
100% agree about Nick Chubb. I'm 42, been a lifelong Browns fan and had plenty of favorite Browns players over the years but my favorite pro-athlete of all time was Barry Sanders. Not just because of his phenominal ability, but because of his humility and humble approach. In that era we started to see a lot more show boating from players and there was just something about the contrast of his talent and his demeanor that really resonated with me.

I get that exact same feeling watching Chubb play.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:24 PM
Tough game overall, it should not have been this close, but with so many D players out, it wasn't a surprise.

Could some of Baker's accuracy issues be related to the rib injury weeks ago, it may still be tight/sore and more difficult to do some of the crossbody throws?

How come the Ravens get their game rescheduled but we have to play through, Denver starts a WR at QB, and every other team is faced with adversity and has to figure it out.

They should have rescheduled the Thursday game for Sunday and if the Ravens still could not/would not play they forfeit.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:30 PM
Simple footwork issues he has to keep working on. Watch that left foot, Bake and keep your shoulder square. Not difficult.
He missed a couple, but I’ll take his overall numbers every damn Sunday.

We are 8-3 and targeting the playoffs. After missing the post-season party for 17 years, I’m beyond happy.
I’m not gonna complain about beating bad teams. We have “been” those bad teams for too long, so let’s be proud of the Browns, a gritty bunch with a single-minded purpose: win games.

We’ve entered the way-back machine with an old-school smash-mouth running game, a hammering OL and two all-world backs, and Baker’s a winner. Either saddle up with the gang & ride with it, or hit the dusty trail.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 12:33 PM
Originally Posted By: 85_Browns_Queen
yup. yet gets crapped on for passes that every QB in the league misses from time to time (not including the wide open td pass). he makes mistakes just like everybody else but you'd swear he was the only one

yet receivers get crapped on for drops that every receiver in the league misses from time to time, even if it is once in 3 or 4 games. they make mistakes just like everybody else but you'd swear they were the only one
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Good, hate Sunday night games cause I have to take sick days.

I haven't had to take time off for many years now, but it's hard for me to stay awake. When it gets dark early, it's not unusual for me to go to bed at 7PM.

I may watch some TV or read for a while, but I am usually out by 8PM.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

As bad as the spot was on the first Hunt run, if you noticed, the spot on the ball the second time was placed in the exact same spot almost, plus the nose was even with the stick. That's a first down. If the nose touches the stick, it is good.

I agree. You have to go 10 yards for a 1st down, not over 10 yards. Over the years I have seen several measurements that were called 1st down when the ball was even with the stick. Unless the NFL has changed things with the chains, making them slightly shorter to make it where the ball has to just get past the stick by a fraction, we got short changed on that one.

Maybe shortening the chains slightly would be a good idea.

No matter, if I have a complaint with the play calling, it was there. If you are going to go for it, run two QB sneaks. If you can't make it by doing that, you don't deserve it.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:07 PM
It felt like Oakland all over leading by 8 and they spotted us short on 4th down when he clearly got the first ...
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

I agree. You have to go 10 yards for a 1st down, not over 10 yards. Over the years I have seen several measurements that were called 1st down when the ball was even with the stick. Unless the NFL has changed things with the chains, making them slightly shorter to make it where the ball has to just get past the stick by a fraction, we got short changed on that one.

Maybe shortening the chains slightly would be a good idea.

No matter, if I have a complaint with the play calling, it was there. If you are going to go for it, run two QB sneaks. If you can't make it by doing that, you don't deserve it.

This might be a stupid question, but does anybody know how they are measuring these days? I can't remember the last time I saw a spot challenged or confirmed with the refs hooking up that little disk and running on to the field. I'd assume with the technology we have today that we can put hi-res cameras in the endzone pylons that we'd now have sticks on both sides of the field with a laser running between.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:26 PM

Wasn't this the same series where Baker missed Hunt on one of those easy throws? I don't remember because I was switching back and forth between phone app and radio and they're all getting jumbled together in my memory... please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm NOT wrong, then playcalling is literally the last thing we should criticize. Playcalling got it done, and execution failed.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:43 PM

Don't own a jersey. Have other gear like hats and jackets.

I may have to get a Chubb jersey.

Love the guy. His attitude. His approach to football. His unselfishness.

But let's get to do it. His ability.

He is a flat out great back. Vision. Patience. Smarts. Awareness. Power. Acceleration. Cutting ability. Lean. After contact. The whole package.

IMO the best in the game today.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:47 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:59 PM

Wasn't this the same series where Baker missed Hunt on one of those easy throws? I don't remember because I was switching back and forth between phone app and radio and they're all getting jumbled together in my memory... please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm NOT wrong, then playcalling is literally the last thing we should criticize. Playcalling got it done, and execution failed.

It was. It also was execution, or failure of.

Note I said "If I have a complaint". Everybody has a bit of a second guess on many things. In this case I feel my comment expressed it was minor at most.

To me, a sneak is as safe as it gets. Sure, you run the risk of a fumbled snap for some reason, but you run the same risk on every play. Same with a fumble.

On a throw you run the risk of a poor throw, which we saw, a failed catch, or a interception.

At any rate, we won the game, so all complaints are minor at this point.
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 01:59 PM
Love Nick Chubb, but did you happen to see any Derrick Henry highlights from yesterday? He's amazing - power, moves, acceleration, and vision. He also delivered another KO stiff-arm to a Colts D-lineman that was like a Mike Tyson straight right.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 02:08 PM
I just think it's fantastic that complaints/criticisms about play calling is a lot further down the list of issues than what we are used to.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 02:11 PM
There needs to be a PFF for officiating.
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 02:48 PM
After today's AAR, the guys at work all agree we need a rule change for next year. We can call it the "Baker Mayfield Rule". Any time the QB makes a bonehead throw that lays out the receiver for a monster hit, or just throws one that is generally considered dumb, the receiver may opt to kick the QB in the backsides upon the receiver's return to the huddle. We think it would have both a motivating effect on Mayfield and seriously lift spirits in the Dawg Pound.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 03:01 PM

For sure I respect Henry.

But Chubb is my guy. Each guy has own thing but Chubb is a Brown.

And I can not say that Henry is better.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 03:05 PM
It is so cool that only three NFL teams have a better record than the Browns.

Damn the critics about who we have beaten.

You play your schedule. There are no gimmies in the NFL.

In the end you are your record.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 03:06 PM
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 03:07 PM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

LOL
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 03:08 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 03:13 PM
Watching some replays of Nick Chubb's runs yesterday and I swear to God it felt at moments like I was watching old tape of Jim Brown running. Maybe it was the White on White uniforms, maybe it was the man wearing it. It was a damn fine vision, no matter what.
Posted By: Deepsouthdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 03:24 PM
It's funny .... I was reading an article by Terry Pluto the other day, and he opined that no one had the Browns at the record that were at. (7-3 when he wrote the article) Teams need to learn how to win games. Bad teams can artificially seem close to getting it by losing games close. How many times over the past 20 or so years have we thought that about the Browns? That said, the Browns are now beating the bad teams.

Are they really a Super Bowl contender? Nope. They are lacking talent at too many spots on defense. (especially) We are beating the bad teams on our schedule. We beat Indy, and a bunch of poor teams. We still have 2 "should" wins left, @Jets and @Giants, and 3 tough games @Tenn, and at home against Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

10 wins? Do we steal a win against the other 3 for 11? Do we "old Browns" up one of the 2 NY games? We'll see. Frankly I am astonished that this team, dealing with a lot of high profile injuries, has been resilient enough to get to this point.

No real off-season program.

We've had injuries to guys like Teller, Chubb, OBJ, Garrett, Harrison, and now also Ward. Plus, in this game, how many others were out due to either Covid or other injuries?

We really don't have the depth to handle these injuries, yet we have in most games.

I am satisfied to thrilled, with the coaching staff. Penalties and stupid mistakes have been way down. I believe I read that the Browns were not allowed to have any full team practices this week. It was just socially distant offense against air, and I am not sure if the defense got any physical work at all.

Overall it was a messier game than it probably should have been, but I think there were a lot of factors ... and I think that Stefanski almost make a fatal error by not taking the FG up by 8 with about 5 minutes left.

Well said brother.
To so many others...I have never seen so much whining, crying, bi!chn finger pointing and such over a 8-3 winning ball squad in all my years of watching football. You guys are sad.
I post very little and this is why. Why do I always have to remind myself.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 03:56 PM
I saw the stick marker too, but when looking closer, you see it is at the padding on the pole, but the actual distance is the pole itself, and the spot left it 1/2" short. Was a horrible spot from the start.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 03:59 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:04 PM
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:12 PM
First play of the game or first pass of the game?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:14 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

I want to see this for the 3rd down measure the play before. I swear the marker changed location from one play to the next by a couple inches.
Posted By: 85_Browns_Queen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 04:20 PM

yet receivers get crapped on for drops that every receiver in the league misses from time to time, even if it is once in 3 or 4 games. they make mistakes just like everybody else but you'd swear they were the only one

the only difference is nobody is calling for Landry's head when he drops a pass. nobody is lobbying to bench him or questions his hands. that gameday thread drives my insane. i'll stay away from now on.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:26 PM
I'm an old man now ( 72 ) ouch ! This is the kind of football I have talking about forever.. A passing League ; Knock your self out .. This is my kind of Browns Football .. Ram it down their throat for four quarters .. A smart game manager QB to put the ball in the air when needed .. Old School Browns !

Now considerate on building a snobber knocker Defense..
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:28 PM

Wait. Let this sink in.

The Cleveland Browns are 8-3. The 8 stands for wins. And the 3 for loses.

Only the Steelers 10-0
The KC Chiefs's 9-1
And the NO Saints at 9-2

Have a better record in all the NFL.

How about that?

I must be in a dream or something.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 04:29 PM

the only difference is nobody is calling for Landry's head when he drops a pass. nobody is lobbying to bench him or questions his hands. that gameday thread drives my insane. i'll stay away from now on.

Saw a tweet that I agreed with.. Browns fans have to stop grading Baker on a pass-by-pass basis... The guy made some absolutely phenomenal throws on Sunday and hasn't thrown an INT in what, 4 weeks? A couple of the throws he made to get us out from in front of our own end zone in the 4th quarter were tremendous... then on 3rd and 1 he misses a WIDE open Hunt in the flat which could have sealed the game. That's why he's frustrating.

I don't know, when he sees somebody so wide open if he just gets anxious and hurries and doesn't set his feet, turn his shoulders, whatever... but the TD he missed and a couple easy first down throws he missed do get frustrating... yes, other QBs miss those from time to time, but we have a stretch of games coming up who are not Jacksonville or Philadelphia and the margin of error will be much thinner. We absolutely cannot leave easy TDs or first downs on the field. You know he has to complete those passes, I know he has to complete those passes, HE KNOWS he has to complete those passes... me griping about it isn't going to fix it.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 04:35 PM

The call on Vernon make me ill.

I truly despise what the league is doing in regards to sacks. It has almost become that you need to stop and tell the quarterback "I am approaching you is there a place where I can touch you?"

I mean what are linemen suppose to do stop in mid-rush and announce their plans?

Vernon was rushing. He was leaning forward. His helmet hit the shoulder pads.

Just a ridiculous call.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 04:39 PM
I was planning on going back and re-watching the game to pay attention to the lead up to those bad-missed throws. If it's what I thought I saw and Baker's feet/body are all messed up prior to the throw, then this issue of the errant throws can be mostly mitigated simply by Baker spending more time drilling on the basics and getting those locked down. WE know his footwork is a work-in-progress, and would take longer to 'fix' than the compressed off-season and the busy in-season. If this is largely the culprit, the fix is already in-process... and I know I'll feel a lot better.
Posted By: 85_Browns_Queen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 04:52 PM
oh im with u all the way. im just as frustrated as anybody else and i probably get more mad at him than u. im not gonna call for him to be benched like some do. thats all im saying. he does have a tendency of missing easy wide open passes that he has to clean up as soon as next sunday, for sure.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 05:08 PM

Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 05:19 PM
I was planning on going back and re-watching the game to pay attention to the lead up to those bad-missed throws. If it's what I thought I saw and Baker's feet/body are all messed up prior to the throw, then this issue of the errant throws can be mostly mitigated simply by Baker spending more time drilling on the basics and getting those locked down. WE know his footwork is a work-in-progress, and would take longer to 'fix' than the compressed off-season and the busy in-season. If this is largely the culprit, the fix is already in-process... and I know I'll feel a lot better.

The only way I can relate his mechanics to his rotating coaches over the last 4 years is that he has had to devote so much time to learning new offenses and getting familiar with new coaches that he probably hasn't had as much time as one would hope to devote to fixing his mechanics.. at least that's what I'm going with.. tongue

His mechanics, when throwing into tight windows seems to be much better. It's like when he sees somebody running totally wide open he gets anxious or excited to get the ball out and forgets to take the .5 seconds to set himself to make the throw. The TD throw he sailed in the Jags game he was back peddling as he threw it.. IIRC, he didn't need to be, but he was.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 05:20 PM
Yeesh. That first drive was dreadful. Both Browns lines coming out kinda flat.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 05:29 PM
I know that people were kinda crapping on him being out there (because Higgins was losing time) but Hodge turns in another strong game.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 06:00 PM
He brings back memories of Jurevicius to me.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 06:02 PM
It’s Victory Monday and I for one am enjoying it. We’re 8-3 and in the playoff hunt.
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 06:15 PM
-JC-

I'm just glad we are going into the 12th game of the year talking about playoffs instead of Draft Talk.

I was/am a big fan of Baker. Obviously he needs to improve in several areas, but he has had 4 head coaches and 4 offensive schemes in 3 years. I understand that Freddie was his OC the second half of his rookie year as well as last year, but the addition of OBJ caused Freddie to change his scheme from year to year, so it was a different offense.

I'm going to believe that Baker will start to calm down and be more comfortable as he plays in the same system year after year and he will be our QB for years to come. All in All he will still have Bad Games but everyone does. He will never be a Tom Brady QB but even Tom had his bad games (I remember the Mangini years we had a 4 INT game against him and Brees in back to back games). If a First Ballet HOF'er can have bad games, then so will the next tier of guys down. I think Baker can be that next tier of guy.

8-3 and in the Driver seat for a playoff hunt, this is what I was asking for.

I think the Titans will win this week, but I'm hopeful we can beat the Ravens in the rematch.

Then if we beat the Giants and the Jets, we are at 11 wins with the possibility of the Steelers resting players in the final week. The way the AFC is shaking out, I think 11 wins will be needed to make the playoffs.
Posted By: Cleats Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 06:26 PM
when Baker learns he doesn't need to throw smokin laser passes to wide open receiver's and just put a little touch on the the throw things will get much better.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 06:38 PM
Bakers pass to Higgins is interesting...

He locks onto Higgins early... Pump fakes to higgins... And then realizes that higgins is wiiiide open so he rushes the pass... Im assuming he was shocked that there wasnt a defender covering higgins after the pump fake and rushed it
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: The Collector

He locks onto Higgins early... Pump fakes to higgins... And then realizes that higgins is wiiiide open so he rushes the pass... Im assuming he was shocked that there wasnt a defender covering higgins after the pump fake and rushed it
that was definitely one of the weirder incompletions I’ve seen from Baker. It was just awkward, like he figured Higgins would be covered ... then he wasn’t ... and Baker panicked
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 07:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: The Collector

that was definitely one of the weirder incompletions I’ve seen from Baker. It was just awkward, like he figured Higgins would be covered ... then he wasn’t ... and Baker panicked

Baker spoke about this play in his presser. He wasn't locked onto Higgins. He was locked on to the deep guy to the left of Higgins. He said his eyes weren't in the right place and he should read low to high not high to low. By not having his eyes in the right place he completely botched the play.

That's what he said in his presser at least.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 11/30/20 08:01 PM
Gotcha thanks, I hadn’t seen that. It makes sense
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 08:11 PM
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

This might be a stupid question, but does anybody know how they are measuring these days? I can't remember the last time I saw a spot challenged or confirmed with the refs hooking up that little disk and running on to the field. I'd assume with the technology we have today that we can put hi-res cameras in the endzone pylons that we'd now have sticks on both sides of the field with a laser running between.

Read an article in SI about the chain gangs, where they are, why, etc.

In the article it mentioned that officials have started placing the ball on an exact yard line more than in the past. That makes it easier for them to judge for the next first down if it's close.

As in, say they spot the ball after a play at the 49 1/2 yard line for a measurement.......after the measurement, the ball is often placed at the 49 or the 50 if it was a first down.

Saves on time. Time saved is advertising dollars gained. (this is my own interpretation here).

Don't know if it's true, but it makes sense to me. I didn't write the article, I just read it.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 09:06 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

Read an article in SI about the chain gangs, where they are, why, etc.

In the article it mentioned that officials have started placing the ball on an exact yard line more than in the past. That makes it easier for them to judge for the next first down if it's close.

As in, say they spot the ball after a play at the 49 1/2 yard line for a measurement.......after the measurement, the ball is often placed at the 49 or the 50 if it was a first down.

Saves on time. Time saved is advertising dollars gained. (this is my own interpretation here).

Don't know if it's true, but it makes sense to me. I didn't write the article, I just read it.

Mike Tirico and Tony Dungy discussed this on SNF (I believe it was this game) last night as well and confirmed what the SI stated. Refs will move the ball to nearest yard line when starting a new series of downs so they can quickly determine 1st downs.

Chain gang eventually getting downsized!
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:13 PM

Chain gang eventually getting downsized!

Pretty much what the article said, but they've already been downsized as well.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:33 PM
just put a chip at each end of the football and call it a day.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:36 PM
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:45 PM
That's it, I'm buying a Sendejo jersey.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:47 PM
Chubb 88.2.

What the heck more does he have to do to get to 90+???????

If yesterday wasn't 100 ....... I don't know what was.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:51 PM

Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:51 PM
Chubb 88.2.

Probably blamed him for not picking up the block the couple times Mayfield got pressure. tongue (Honestly I don't even know if he was on the field)

Maybe if he made a few more tackles, had kept their running game in check a little better? I don't know what else he could better than average 7.6 yards per carry on 19 carries and 3 catches for over 30 yards....
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:55 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
That's it, I'm buying a Sendejo jersey.

Do they make those?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:56 PM

NO NO NO .... Baker was AWFUL. All caps AWFUL. I read it here, it must be true.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 10:57 PM
I agree. He was.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 11:01 PM

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 11:12 PM
PFF and I both disagree.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 11:14 PM

http://www.footballzebras.com/2020/11/week-12-officiating-liveblog-2020/

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 11:31 PM

this is a big reason why I think we will pick up Baker's 5th year.

he is a leader among men
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game - 11/30/20 11:35 PM
Want another reason? It would be difficult for us to replace him. look how long it took us to get him. At least, at this point anyway, he is decent and competent and has some upside with the system and coaching we have.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 12:02 AM
PFF and I both disagree.

We are on the same page.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 12:29 AM
j/c

Just asking, when Baker started in the NFL, he was throwing balls too hard for receivers to catch sometimes. It seems that many of his missed passes in the past few weeks were touch passes. Could it be that he still learning the finer details of throwing passes with touch as opposed to his natural tendency to throw bullets?
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 02:06 AM
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

It's the next step in the evolution of the game. No difference between this and Paul Brown's taxi squad substitutions or helmet speakers for the QB.

Chips- or lasers. Or a combination of both.

Get it right, and get it fast.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 02:52 AM
Agreed. If we’re going to review every minor thing, you might as well do it
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 12:18 PM
Want another reason? It would be difficult for us to replace him. look how long it took us to get him. At least, at this point anyway, he is decent and competent and has some upside with the system and coaching we have.

On top of that his record is almost back to .500 right? More importantly we're sniffing the playoffs. No, Baker isn't the driving force behind it, but he is the guy managing the offense that has put us in the driver seat. I suppose I understand any hesitancy to sign him to a 2nd contract already, but how do you not pick up that 5th year and look for progress and consistency?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 12:19 PM

A lot of factors are at play when a quarterback throws a ball in a game situation.

You have your playbook with the design of the play. Under center or in shotgun. The route trees of those involved in the play. The blocking assignments. The drop steps are timed to the patterns.

In practice you run the plays over and over. Timing and execution are forefront.

Then in the game live action dictates or alters what really takes place.

Some red zone plays calls for touch to the endzone corner as an example. But the defense may alter the play to a degree and the throw may have to change.

On a screen to the flat you may need to float a ball over a defender or you may throw quicker depending how the play unfolds.

Most quarterbacks know from playing how much mustard is needed.

In the end IMO each play needs to be broken down and looked at because each play becomes different in the game.

Baker has a strong arm. Practice should prepare the receivers for what to expect. Every qb throws a different ball to a degree.

Deep outs have to have zip. Crossing routes need more lead when throwing.

Baker has shown both in college and the NFL that he can make the throws the way they need to be made.

That does not mean that happens correctly all the time.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

It's the next step in the evolution of the game. No difference between this and Paul Brown's taxi squad substitutions or helmet speakers for the QB.

You are right but I don't like every evolution. Especially the "Where, to the inch, was the ball, when some part of him grazed the top of the grass and he was down" calls.

Sorry, I like the old days when they placed the ball where your momentum stopped when you hit the ground. If that means you were in the endzone even though your forearm touched the grass before the ball crossed the plane, then so be it. Let it stand. If you make a spin move and then run for another 20 yards and they can show that your knee actually touched the ground, sure, bring it back. But this microscopic measuring to the inch and piecing together different angles to see where the ball was when your shin grazed the grass on your way down.... I don't like it. It has both saved and hurt the Browns this year but I still don't like it.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 05:17 PM
I agree.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 05:20 PM
Chubb 88.2.

Who really cares? Would a higher rating make you like him any more?

I doubt it.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

You are right but I don't like every evolution. Especially the "Where, to the inch, was the ball, when some part of him grazed the top of the grass and he was down" calls.

Sorry, I like the old days when they placed the ball where your momentum stopped when you hit the ground. If that means you were in the endzone even though your forearm touched the grass before the ball crossed the plane, then so be it. Let it stand. If you make a spin move and then run for another 20 yards and they can show that your knee actually touched the ground, sure, bring it back. But this microscopic measuring to the inch and piecing together different angles to see where the ball was when your shin grazed the grass on your way down.... I don't like it. It has both saved and hurt the Browns this year but I still don't like it.

Especially when the placement of the ball is subjective the the ref's perspective, and the measurement by chain is to a fracture of an inch.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 09:12 PM

Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 09:33 PM

Kinda funny that already I have seen "analysts" picking the Titans to roll over the Browns.

Everyone buying into our record is against losers.

If you look at team offensive and defensive rankings the Browns and Titans are very close.

Actually I like our chances.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Post Game - 12/01/20 11:46 PM
Perhaps they did not see the Titans lose to the Bengals. These "analysts" only think about the last game that was played - against depleted Colts and assume Browns will get spanked. The Titans are the flavor of the week.

It should be a Slobber Knocker.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 12:20 AM
"The Union"

Joel Bitonio

Jedrick Wills Jr.

Wyatt Teller

J.C. Tretter

Jack Conklin

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 12:39 AM
Sounds like it’s a great nickname (weren’t we just talking about it??)

The Union
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Kinda funny that already I have seen "analysts" picking the Titans to roll over the Browns.

If you look at team offensive and defensive rankings the Browns and Titans are very close.

It was the Titans that outright stomped all over our heads in the opener last season to pop the bubble of hype surrounding this roster.

Now, there is hype building again as we're 8-3. I absolutely favor them over us because we haven't proven too much, yet.

Now is our chance to rise, or be what we've always been.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 01:01 AM
Assuming we will beat two very beatable NY teams, this game is our best chance to lock down a playoff spot IMHO. It's almost a must win.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 01:19 AM
The one against the Ravens is probably the true Must Win, but since this one is up first, it is a MUST WIN.

For one, it puts pressure on the Ravens at worst, and at best it puts distance on them should they lose to Pittsburgh.
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 02:42 AM
Best game of the year remember we were without
Myles,Ward,and Harrington on the road.
Refs shooting them to good .
459 yards no 1 turnover
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 02:45 AM
All 5 games ahead are MUST wins.
Posted By: myka Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 03:37 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

It was the Titans that outright stomped all over our heads in the opener last season to pop the bubble of hype surrounding this roster.

Now, there is hype building again as we're 8-3. I absolutely favor them over us because we haven't proven too much, yet.

Now is our chance to rise, or be what we've always been.

Totally agree.

Add to that the fact that Garrett's status is still open, Ward and Harrison are out. Not to mention the rest of our laundry list of injuries.

If we had our full power it would probably be pretty even matchup. As it is they're only favored by 4.5 at home which isn't much, the odds makers are actaully giving us decent respect. Let's hope we can prove we deserve it!
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 12:50 PM
Perhaps they did not see the Titans lose to the Bengals. These "analysts" only think about the last game that was played - against depleted Colts and assume Browns will get spanked. The Titans are the flavor of the week.

Honestly, I am not surprised that TEN is favored. Look at it objectively.

TEN has the same record as we do. The game is in TEN. We are 1-3 against teams with winning records. Two of those losses were embarrassing efforts. Our 6 of our 7 wins were against some pretty bad teams, and for the most part went down to the wire.

If we want respect, we need to earn it. Beating TEN will help with that.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 01:00 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 02:03 PM

Honestly, I am not surprised that TEN is favored. Look at it objectively.

TEN has the same record as we do. The game is in TEN. We are 1-3 against teams with winning records. Two of those losses were embarrassing efforts. Our 6 of our 7 wins were against some pretty bad teams, and for the most part went down to the wire.

If we want respect, we need to earn it. Beating TEN will help with that.

This. Though we did beat the Colts... not getting embarrassed by the Titans will even be a step in the right direction for us, imo.
Posted By: eotab Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 02:43 PM
j/c...

didn't have the opportunity to make my what I saw thread and its Wednesday already so will put my observations here. If I can remember....lol laugh

Baker had a bad Red Zone as he had a wide open WR but over threw him...it was one pass but a situation that we have seen before.

Before that miss there was a pass to Landry that was incomplete right at the goal line posts. Can a receiver get mugged any more without a Pass Interference??? shame on you refs...smh

Back to Baker - I have a theory on Bakers Pocket passing near the goal line. Oh he still is accurate and throws TD passes. Stupid announcers making a big thing of Baker not throwing a TD in three games....um did you see the weather in those games and those 3 games all were determined by the RUNNING GAME!
Rain, sleet and 30+ MPH winds will take that air game away.

Anyways back to what I have observed. Baker needs to drop back deeper when he is closer to the Goal Line. He and I have seen other QBs have similar problems (Wilson for example) they don't have much depth for spreading the field and they/Baker has to get his pass over LBs so that it ends up being thrown high and very often too high or else his pass would be tipped and worst case scenario an INT would happen. To avoid that he throws the ball too high.

As stated I would like to see him get that Shot gun snap but then take a Deep 3 step or even 5 step drop...if he did so he would have better depth on those endzone passes. Just saying and please observe yourselves. Not only with Baker but look at other QBs as it is something going around.

Anyways Baker is protecting the ball much better our last game the weather was playable and he did throw 2 TD passes but our Run Game totally controlled the game.

btw the Eagles are a pretty talented team - I think their OL is bad but everything else is pretty darn good.

Talk about holding onto the ball too long and not seeing the open routes....that is Wentz. He has been hit so much and so often the kid is almost at that Damaged goods stage.

Something Burrows will have to look out. As he is out for the year.

Harrison Bryant His hands are small for his size. 9.5" but no excuse for his handling of the ball. For some reason he has it against his chest but not securely in his hand. He has to hold the ball out like a loaf a bread secure in his hand....and then bring that Loaf against his chest with a secure 2 point position and then as he did this time bring his other hand up to secure it even better making a 3 point handle on it. This time he brought his second hand up but the ball was already slipping out of control when he did so. Since his hands are not massive he has to get that ball over the point secured in his hand and arm. Instead he tries to grasp the side of the ball. He has excellent hands but after catching he does not know how to secure that ball. Where is our TE coach...of not her fault but she was a one day coach who needed to show him...At least the kid can block.

Where is Njoku I think his attitude is lack luster and he does not put out 100%.

Chubb has the best vision in the NFL right now. No body is better I know I tried to convey that when he was out and Hunt is very very good but does not have the vision that Chubb has.

Its clogged up Chubb cuts to an opening rather than commit to the quagmire at the LOS. Just good and the kid can catch.

Kudos to our OL they just feed on that Run game that we hae and puts it to our opponents - So proud of them but our depth is not that great, pretty much is Hubbard that is our depth and the kid from the West Coast for Center.

Very satisfied with our Rookie Wills - don't know if he will be an HOFer like Thomas but the kid can ball that is for sure.

Our WRs - are running good routes especially Landry, Higgins and Hodge. I also see our rookie Peoples-Jones learning from them. As he is getting better. I like OBJ his attitude was actually pretty good with us and he has a world of talent but whether from him or coaches too much emphasis was made about him. Just let him be one of the guys and not center the O around him. In any case our WR Corp. is doing just fine without him for some reason things are flowing or that just might be the effects of 8 games under our NEW OFFENSE and things are just jelling. But as I have preached for years you don't need a STUD WR, what you need are 5 WRs who run good routes and have good hands! with Hoop included we got 4 right now. Peoples Jones might become 5.

Hunt I think feeds on Chubbs running game. He becomes a BEAST especially when the Defense is gasping for air and he is fresh. Best Tandem for us in a long long time. Better than Mack and Byner.

Don't want to talk about Playoffs...but things are starting to fall into place for us!

I don't think we are ready yet for a Championship but it would be nice to get some Playoff experience and a Taste in our mouths that will have us identify our goal for the future.

LBs didn't even know anyone was playing the position although now and then I'd see 93 Goodson but they were so so irrelevant. We need a sideline to sideline Beast in there.

Well all I can say is we have to cut RedWine - cause if he cannot beat out Sandejo then what good is he!!! I saw another NONE Tackle out of Sandejo he puts his head down and the runner easily gets by him. He tries hard....but he just is bad!

Our DL is exceptional. I hope that Vernon can give this effort now with Garrett back. It would be nice for the DL to just take over games. Our O will play well but Win or Lose is going to be from our D.

Denzel is missed and it will be probably another game before he is coming back. Woods is going to have to EARN his money from here on in.

I think our D is disciplined and its getting better on the TEAM EFFORT. As the game was a lot more in our control then the score showed.

Stefanski scares me sometimes. 6 minutes to go and its 4th and 1 at the 23...we are in 40 yard FG range Parkay has been money at this range and we are in excellent weather conditions.

My wife goes. WE SHOULD KICK THE FG...I thought for a second - You know, She's right. we had an 8 point lead, the FG was pretty much at excellent odds of success and it puts us up 11 points instead of 8. Why go for it... Yeah I get it we could probably get it close to the 2 minute warning with an 8 point lead and get a TD or the FG. But we went for it. Hunt right up the Gut...not spreading things out and get a Zone read run by Chubb. But any how it was not successful and the Eagles did get their last minute TD but missed their 2 point conversion leaving us with a 2 point lead...smh. Scary when my wife KNOWS a football situation better than our HC and she did so without hesitation. No rant, a simple....ummm, we should kick the FG why are we going for it??? I had no real reason for her and was actually silent about it cause I know she was Right.

anyways we out played them Our D comes through and I never worry about the O as they are flowing especially the Run game.

I think our next will be interesting. It might go FAST like without a batting of the eye Quarters will change cause we will both be running the ball eating up clock time. We have to take advantage of every OPPORTUNITY!

Well that is what I saw.
Wish me luck hope I'll be back having a little procedure done Thursday. Don't know if there will be football in after life for me to see. I was in a bad way September's procedure but I didn't see any white light or my life passing before me.

Just nothing but came back
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 02:48 PM
Good luck 'tab.

I'll be praying for you.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 03:12 PM
Thinking about you buddy. See you when you get back.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 04:12 PM
EO best of luck to you. I, as I'm sure other posters, understand the problems of health issues. My wife was diagnosed with cancer for the 2nd time back in August and has been having a tough time. My prayers are with you my friend.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 04:45 PM
My prayers are with both you and Tabber.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 04:58 PM
Thank you. It's greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Deepsouthdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 06:25 PM
Prayers your way my friend.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 07:06 PM
Praying for Both ..
Posted By: mac Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 10:14 PM
Homewood and EO...

Thoughts and prayers to EO and his family and for Homewood and his wife as well as the family.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/02/20 10:17 PM
I'll be praying for your wife as well.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game - 12/02/20 10:57 PM

If you look at body of work, I don't get it.

Texans squeaked by the Broncos, Jags, and Vikings, got stomped by the Bills, Squeaked by the Texans.. got stomped by the Colts, then stomped the Colts, lost to the Steelers.. Sorry, I don't see anything there that says they should beat us badly. Could they beat us? Sure.. but I expect this to be a fairly close game. I mean, we beat the Colts pretty handily for most of the game.
Posted By: eotab Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/03/20 01:03 PM
EO best of luck to you. I, as I'm sure other posters, understand the problems of health issues. My wife was diagnosed with cancer for the 2nd time back in August and has been having a tough time. My prayers are with you my friend.

back at you Homewood Dog...prayers for your wife and family.
Posted By: Xanthros Re: Post Game - 12/04/20 01:36 AM

this is a big reason why I think we will pick up Baker's 5th year.

he is a leader among men

https://youtu.be/1bk4XXc50qc

Check out this Youtubers take. I love his streams and he is a very well spoken Browns fan. He does a great job breaking down Bakers miss to Higgins.
Posted By: KashDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 12/04/20 04:42 AM
EO take care brother. You are one of my favorite posters on this board. I wish people would understand Vers and not attack him. He is another one of my favorites that just talks and educates around football. Thank you for your "What I Saw!!" I have been wondering where you were smile
Posted By: jfanent Re: Post Game - 12/04/20 02:09 PM
That was worth a watch. Thanks!
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game - 12/04/20 06:32 PM
Very well reasoned take free from the emotion, hype, and hyperbole that you see in "analysis" much of the time.

Did not even realize on the TD pass to Landry that Landry was supposed to be running the pick and then an inside route with the target being Hodge on the wheel route, which got blown up and everything after that was improvised.. that's awesome.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game - 12/05/20 03:44 AM
Insight like that is why I still hang around here.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game - 12/05/20 03:16 PM
© DawgTalkers.net