DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: tru_dawgs Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/25/14 10:42 PM

Every year we see it guys...several players picked late that pan out to be legit football players...who's your pick as perhaps a late round gem?

I'll go with CB from Texas Carrington Byndom...he was projected a 2nd-3rd round pick last year...elected to stay his senior year...and well we know Texas didn't play all that well...the kid is mocked in most drafts as a late pick or UDFA...has very good size 6'0 180 4.48 speed...was snubbed from this years combine...I think he had hammy issue and I really liked the kid last year...I know he had zero picks his senior year...but Texas always produces pretty good secondary players (Vasher, Griffin, Williams, Thomas, Vaccaro, Jammer, etc) Kid has zero off field baggage...but obviously had an inconsistent year to drop so much...here's a nice YouTube clip http://m.youtube.com/v/sh0vdhETyBA
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/25/14 10:50 PM
I don't know much about the kid... I do like his size though. CB is also a position of need IMO
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/25/14 10:51 PM
Jerrick McKinnon RB GSU

Once he learns how to run at a tilt he'll be unstoppable. Another muscle midget.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/25/14 11:03 PM
I don't know how late he is going to go, but I'll say Jordan Zumwalt from UCLA. The dude is a straight up crazy person and aggressive as all get out.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/25/14 11:15 PM
RB McKinnon man I never knew that guy was that fast...and when he did his long jump...I thought he was going to leap off the screen...shows lots of lower body explosiveness
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/25/14 11:16 PM
Jordan Najvar TE Baylor, love this kid reminds me of steve Heiden. If you like combine winners this one is not for you. He is big, slow but catches everything thrown his way and is a vicious blocker. 6 or 7 rounder but will probably be a 10-15 year player.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 12:30 AM
I think Isaiah Crowell is the most talented RB in the entire class. I also think he will last until the latter rounds. Not saying he will make it, but he is worth the shot.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 12:33 AM
Here is a link to an article in which Crowell says the Browns have expressed an interest in him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...-isaiah-crowell
Posted By: Jester Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 01:27 AM
La'Damien Washington Wr Missouri
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 02:29 AM
Devin Street, WR Pitt. Tough & catches everything. Projects 4th-5th round.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 03:00 AM
Quote:

Devin Street, WR Pitt. Tough & catches everything. Projects 4th-5th round.

I actually love Devin Street...he's a Little thin...but there's a lot to love...he always catches with his hands has superb hands by the way...is quick enough for the NFL and has a lot of length...long legged so when he runs he reminds me a lot of josh Gordon
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 03:06 AM
Quote:

I think Isaiah Crowell is the most talented RB in the entire class. I also think he will last until the latter rounds. Not saying he will make it, but he is worth the shot.

Vers...I'll admit I've never seen him play...only remember the rumblings over trouble he encountered... But if he is able to turn things around...just from clips of viewing he def. Is a no non sense runner...I'm always a fan of north south runners specially in the AFC North...playing at Alabama State he def. Looked like a man amongst boys...good pick and thanks for heightening my awareness on this guy.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 03:14 AM
Quote:

I agree, I'd be tempted to use the 5th round pick on him.

Since you named Crowell, I'll go with Kevin Norwood. Wr, Al.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 03:33 AM
Quote:

La'Damien Washington Wr Missouri

He's one of mine as well. Two others, though one may not be a "late round" sleeper, but rather a mid-round sleeper.

Daniel McCullers, NT (Tennessee)
Dri Archer, RB/WR/KR (Kent State)
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 06:44 AM
Tom Savage QB Pittisburg. 6'4 230lbs

21 TD's, 9 INT's, 2,958 yards

Gil Brandt compared Savage to a player he scouted when he worked for the Cowboys. Troy Aikman after watching hin throw for 6 TD's againts Duke last year.

Mike Mayock also feels he could be a real sleeper in the draft due to his boucing around in college. He started his career at Rutgers but lost his job when he was injured and Dodd came in and played really well. Greg Shiano went with Dodd because he did not want to remove a "HOT" QB. Savage transferred to Arizona but while sitting out his transfer year Arizona hired Rich Rod. Savage is a pocket passer and did not fit Rich Rod's spread option attack. He then transferred to Pitt.

Strengths-
Has a cannon for an arm. quick release, moves in the pocket well, shows good ability to lead receivers, like Big ben has shruggged off defenders and extended plays, decent speed to escape in the pocket but not a threat to run the ball.

Weakness -
Needs to have better touch on short routes, passes hang when throwing on the run, relies heavily on arm strength to beat defenders needs to learn to move defenders with eyes and pump fakes, body of work is limited due to transfers.

Would be a nice project to draft in the 5th or later.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 08:21 AM
Seeing as how I know nothing about the upcoming draft.

I vote for Peter Lalich, UDFA
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 08:32 AM
Quote:

Seeing as how I know nothing about the upcoming draft.

I vote for Peter Lalich, UDFA

I got either Leon Sandcastle or Jerry Ricecake.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 09:51 AM
jc

Some good sleeper candidates already mentioned in this thread, good work guys.

I particularly like Norwood as a bigger slot WR with WR2 upside. Some of the RBs mentioned also have a shot at making it in the league, but my man crush at RB is James White from Wisconsin. Guy reminds me of Fred Jackson or Alfred Morris, as in: he does a lot of things well, but none of them "wow" you or flash, but he has little to no weaknesses in his game. He is a well rounded 3 down RB and in the later rounds those guys are rare. He runs with a great mix of instincts and wiggle between the tackles and is not afraid to go in there, unlike some bigger name guys in this draft who look to bounce a lot of runs outside. He's very smart, plays situational football and is an aware and good pass protector too. I really had a hard time finding any negative in his game.
I think his low draft status is because of the deep class and the fact that he was on the same roster as Gordon. He's a big time sleeper imho.

Other guys that are slated to go later on day 3 but in my opinion have a good shot at becoming starters include:

ILB Bullough (perfect mash 2 down ILB at worst in a 3-4)
CB/FS D.Johnson (good FS candidate)
CB W.Aikens (small school press corner)
RG Trai Turner (not a ZBS fit although he has very good athleticism. Just pushes DL out of the way)
DE Urban...this guy is the perfect 5-Tech DE with the versatility to play in a lot of formations. Very underrated.
TE Crockett Gilmore...cool name, underrated game. Good blocker, like a 6th OL and has enough athleticism to work out as a receiving option too.

Some deep sleepers (probably UDFA) that I think have a shot at making a roster and more down the line:

ILB Morris...found him when I was looking at Kirksey's tape. Guy's a very, very good and dependable ILB
C/G Harrison...underrated big school blocker
G Fulton....see above

My VERY deep sleepers are two RBs:

Zurlon Tipton from CMU and Reaves from UAB.

It will be very hard for them to get a chance considering how crowded backfields are and how much the NFL depth charts get filled by name recognition (see McGahee vs Baker), but those two should get into a camp as the 5th/6th RBs and should make some PS. They looked like they belonged with the others when I watched them.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 10:08 AM
aaron murray......who i feel maybe the best QB in the draft.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 12:13 PM
Quote:

Every year we see it guys...several players picked late that pan out to be legit football players...who's your pick as perhaps a late round gem?

Ethan Westbrooks, DE, WT
Posted By: dawg531 Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 12:18 PM
j/c

Kenny Guiton backup QB OSU
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 02:02 PM
I have two guys who you may or may not have heard but could become really great players:

Marcel Jensen- TE Fresno State

Caraun Reid- DE/T Princeton

Both of those are really late guys I haven't seen mentioned who I believe can be really great players if given time and coaching.

I also love Crowell who has been mentioned, and Preston Brown.
Posted By: DonCoyote Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/26/14 10:02 PM
Quote:

Kenny Guiton backup QB OSU

I think he'd be worth a 7th round pick. Definitely a look if he's not drafted.

I would rather groom him as a career backup then constantly signing Jake Delhommes and Seneca Wallaces
Posted By: urbrowns Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/27/14 02:03 AM
My pick is Wesley Johnson, OT/G/C from Vanderbilt. At the combine he measured in at 6' 5 3/8", 297 pounds. Started 51 games, played both tackle spots and some guard and center. He is athletic and smart and blocks well on the move.

He needs to add some strength, but I think he could do that at the next level.

In a zone blocking scheme I think he develops into no worse than an extremely valuable 6th lineman, if not a quality starter.

I see him projected as a 7th round pick, or an UDFA. But I like him.

I also like Jay Bromley, DT out of Syracuse in the 6th or 7th to potentially provide some interior pass rush.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/27/14 02:23 AM
I can't argue with you neighbor. A versatile o-lineman that can play multiple positions is never a bad thing.
Posted By: KingSteve Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/27/14 05:57 AM
Connor Shaw
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/27/14 08:14 AM
My late round sleeper is the same every year, but for some reason I keep going undrafted...

I've been draft eligible for 7 years now!
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/27/14 11:33 AM
Quote:

Connor Shaw

Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/27/14 11:40 AM
Quote:

My late round sleeper is the same every year, but for some reason I keep going undrafted...

You're slow, aren't you? Nobody has told you? You stink.
Posted By: IrishDawg42 Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/27/14 12:47 PM
Erik Lora, WR from Eastern Illinois.

I have watched several of their games to check out Garoppolo and he keeps showing up every single week. The kid is a baller and is going to make some team a nice slot receiver. The Browns should take him in the 7th to mix in with Andrew Hawkins.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/28/14 01:32 AM
Quote:

Quote:

If David Veikune can go in the 2nd round then I think I'm draftable...
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/28/14 01:35 AM
Quote:

Only if Mangini is doing the drafting.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/28/14 03:53 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if you can get Eric Mangini or George Kokinis GM jobs, I'm all for it. Live the dream man! Live the dream!
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/28/14 04:51 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if you can get Eric Mangini or George Kokinis GM jobs, I'm all for it. Live the dream man! Live the dream!

Y'all are given me nightmares. We just got rid of Lombardi and now we are bringing up Mangini.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 12:49 AM
Some of you can never let it go. Shot after shot after shot after shot. Then, you freak when someone defends one of those guys and get upset when someone criticizes any move that H and H made or Farmer has made.

But yeah, we started it.

Let it go, man.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 05:56 AM
WR Jeremy Gallon and WR Devin Street I put 3rd round "grades" on and I bet I'm not the only one.

WR Chandler Jones from San Jose State is a guy who ai think will actually go late but is talented. Same with Josh Stewart from Oklahoma State. Both are slot guys.

C/OG Corey Linsley Ohio State I've been talking up all season.

NT Beau Allen from Wisconsin... You can see a big difference in their defense when he's in there and when he's not.

QB Stephen Morris from Miami is the best QB that will be taken outside the top 100. Casey Pachall has some skills too, but I think is less likely to fulfill his potential.

I really liked Adam Muema before I found out he was a crazy person.

CB Andre Hal from Vandy can be very good if he gets into a zone scheme. He uses strange man technique that leaves him trying to catch up.

LB from OK State is really slow but has special instincts. He's better than Borland IMO who is way overrated.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 02:14 PM
Oh yeah and one more OG prospect Tyler Shatley of Clemson is pretty good, too.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 02:27 PM
Quote:

QB Stephen Morris from Miami is the best QB that will be taken outside the top 100.

Don't really know any of the other people you mentioned, but Stephen Morris has never impressed me. I don't think he's an NFL QB. Not for long at least.

I don't think he's particularly accurate and he doesn't make good decisions.

How many QBs usually get drafted? Because I'd rather take the usual crop of 8 (JFootball, Teddy, Blake, Carr, that Eastern Illinois guy, MacCaron, Mettenberger, Murray) right off the back. Then Hundley makes 9. I'd rather have Conor Shaw. That's 10. Can't think of any other QBs in the draft right now. Didn't get a chance to watch the Southern Methodist QB.

But yeah, not impressed with Morris
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 02:34 PM
Well, Hundley is not in this draft. I think I have Morris behind JM, TB, DC, AM, and that might be it.
Posted By: Dave Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 03:08 PM
He's not really a sleeper, but I wouldn't mind a 6th or 7th round flyer on Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech. He's 6-6, 250lbs, runs 4.61, and appears to throw really well (yeah, it was a highlight video). Issues, according to the guys at CBS (Brugler, Rang, Prisco) are footwork and a resulting lack of accuracy. They also question his drive and desire.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1691193/logan-thomas

Even if he's not a prospect at QB, he could be an interesting TE conversion project. Of course, that assumes he can catch the ball.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 03:36 PM
Logan Thomas: Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 04:39 PM
j/c

I should have mentioned this player earlier. I hope he continues to remain unnoticed, maybe until the Browns are on the clock with their final pick.
Brock Vereen
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 05:03 PM
Quote:

Has tiny hands,

Geesh .... his hands are 8 1/4", the same size as mine.

Now I have an inferiority complex.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 05:36 PM
I see, you got jokes. That aside, all prospects have some flaws. Sleepers usually have more. I'm looking more at his potential as a pass defender rather than a turnover producer where bigger mitts would be an assert.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/29/14 06:26 PM
Actually, I never saw hands mentioned as a negative as far as a Safety is concerned.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/30/14 02:44 PM
Don't know about the rest of you but I continue to stumble on to players that I didn't know a lot about. Came up with this name while playing the First Pick game. Then looked around the web for information on the guy. I think he actually has top 100 talent but he's had some off-field issues. Then I got the specifics of his "criminal involvement". Three arrest between 2012 and 2013 season. 1 Complaint of public intoxication. 2. Peeing in public. 3. Providing alcohol to a minor. Those are not good things and they should be investigated and he should have to answer any questions to the satisfaction of a team interested in him. But we're talking a 20 something kid here.

Football wise this is a big strong physical fast WR. Does body catch a little more than he should but also shows he can pluck the ball and he punishes defenders once he has the rock.

Tracy Moore #1

Tracy Moore #2

Tracy Moore #3
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/30/14 04:58 PM
Quote:

Last year when doing mock drafts...I started taking a liking to Logan Thomas...as far as Cam Newton comparisons I thought OK he's going to go back to school and get better...wrong lol love the guy...erratic poor timing confused too easily iffy at best decision making...but with body and arm and solid running skill...he's going to get drafted on his frame alone...saw some mocks having him going 2nd or 3rd round...that's a bust if any...though if he indeed goes very late (where he truly belongs) he's a definite project...if he sits 2-3 years and learns he could be a solid pro...I would not mind him as a 7th round project pick one bit...
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/30/14 05:03 PM
Quote:

Don't know about the rest of you but I continue to stumble on to players that I didn't know a lot about. Came up with this name while playing the First Pick game. Then looked around the web for information on the guy. I think he actually has top 100 talent but he's had some off-field issues. Then I got the specifics of his "criminal involvement". Three arrest between 2012 and 2013 season. 1 Complaint of public intoxication. 2. Peeing in public. 3. Providing alcohol to a minor. Those are not good things and they should be investigated and he should have to answer any questions to the satisfaction of a team interested in him. But we're talking a 20 something kid here.

Football wise this is a big strong physical fast WR. Does body catch a little more than he should but also shows he can pluck the ball and he punishes defenders once he has the rock.

Tracy Moore #1

Tracy Moore #2

Tracy Moore #3

You know he reminds me of...Greg Little with hands seems to play tough doesn't get huge YAC but plays strong and appears to catch well...wouldn't mind him late either...who knows may even go in UDFA I'd def. Bring him in
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/30/14 07:28 PM
His best chance to make the NFL is as a TE.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/30/14 07:39 PM
Quote:

At 6'1, 215#? As a TE?
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/30/14 08:23 PM
Quote:

Quote:

At 6'1, 215#? As a TE?

He was talking about Logan Thomas.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/30/14 08:23 PM
Name: Logan Thomas
College: Virginia Tech
Position: Quarterback
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 248 lbs
Forty Yard Dash: 4.61
Vertical: 35.5"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/30/14 09:41 PM
1) Jeff Janis WR Saginaw Valley St. Size and speed, apparently did well in post season practices/ game. 6'3 guys who run a 4.4 somehow stick on rosters.

2) Vinney Sunseri S Alabama, I believe he got hurt, he and Clinton Dix were the best safety tandems in college. Coached very well and has superb instincts , very underrated athlete IMO. I really think he will play on Sundays.
Posted By: Browns26 Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/31/14 12:25 AM
Some potential steals:

Colt Lystra-TE-Oregon
Aaron Murray-QB-Georgia
Devin Street-WR-Pittsburgh
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/31/14 01:10 AM
Quote:

Name: Logan Thomas
College: Virginia Tech
Position: Quarterback
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 248 lbs
Forty Yard Dash: 4.61
Vertical: 35.5"

Sorry, your response was immediately after his post about Tracy Moore. My apologies for not quite understanding that you were replying to his comment about Logan Thomas.

It was just a bit confusing with your comment without any other clarification.

In regards to Logan Thomas, I agree... but only if he can catch. Anyone know if he was on Va Tech's basketball team?
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 03/31/14 01:24 AM
If I recall correctly that's what he played in HS and was recruited as.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 04/03/14 03:45 AM
j/c

Philip Gains CB, Rice. I'm not sure why he is not being touted as a top 2 rounds guy. He's a physical, fast, huge corner. LOVE him.
Posted By: rich52 Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 04/05/14 03:57 PM
Quote:

plays like olive oil not popeye
Posted By: KingSteve Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 04/05/14 09:03 PM
my late round guys are Denicos Allen and Connor Shaw...

I think both will have + NFL careers. Shaw has played with high expectations and has been a VERY large part of why South Carolina has been successful the past 4 years, and was a HUGE part of it this year as they played some VERY VERY good football, and were incredibly well quarterbacked.

Denicos Allen i think is also an underrated part of the Sparty defense this season that was one of the best in the game. Allen plays alot like a TJ Ward to me...just a little slower, and a little better as a run stuffer at the LOS between the tackles. With less quality outside the tackles...but the same style player
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 04/12/14 04:55 PM
An update on Texas CB Carrington Byndom measured in at 5'11 and a quarter 177 lbs ran a blistering 4.33 40 4.37 official 38' inch vertical...here's a nice post pro day interview...seems well rounded and mature for a player...would not mind him late in the draft...Texas DBs seem to always do well in the NFL and the guy was mentioned as a 2nd round pick last year...not bad for a round 7 steal...interview below... Looks cut as well

http://m.youtube.com/v/cmxzCuHwues
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 04/12/14 05:04 PM
Sorry I can't get the link to work just Google "Carrington Byndom interview" should do the trick lol
Brock Jensen -QB North Dakota State
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 04/18/14 03:21 PM
Although I think Crowell is more talented as a runner I like this player, Rajon Neal, because I think he's a more complete player. Good size and speed. Runs inside and out. Displays pass pro skills and can catch with his hands from the RB position.

Not sure Crowell would embrace any role other than featured back. I think Neal offers quite a bit as a late round pick and he would accept whatever role the team needs from him.

Rajon Neal -RB, Tennessee
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Who's your late round sleeper? - 04/18/14 06:36 PM
Quote:

Tom Savage QB Pittisburg. 6'4 230lbs

21 TD's, 9 INT's, 2,958 yards

Gil Brandt compared Savage to a player he scouted when he worked for the Cowboys. Troy Aikman after watching hin throw for 6 TD's againts Duke last year.

Mike Mayock also feels he could be a real sleeper in the draft due to his boucing around in college. He started his career at Rutgers but lost his job when he was injured and Dodd came in and played really well. Greg Shiano went with Dodd because he did not want to remove a "HOT" QB. Savage transferred to Arizona but while sitting out his transfer year Arizona hired Rich Rod. Savage is a pocket passer and did not fit Rich Rod's spread option attack. He then transferred to Pitt.

Strengths-
Has a cannon for an arm. quick release, moves in the pocket well, shows good ability to lead receivers, like Big ben has shruggged off defenders and extended plays, decent speed to escape in the pocket but not a threat to run the ball.

Weakness -
Needs to have better touch on short routes, passes hang when throwing on the run, relies heavily on arm strength to beat defenders needs to learn to move defenders with eyes and pump fakes, body of work is limited due to transfers.

Would be a nice project to draft in the 5th or later.

From what I've read,he's flying up draft boards to the point he was invited to the draft. I have to assume he's no worst than a day 2 pick now.
© DawgTalkers.net