DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: lampdogg Beating Pittsburgh - 12/29/20 10:49 PM
This is what we haven’t had in a long time: win in Week 17 and get in.

Now that the Steelers are sitting the alleged rapist and starting the alleged racist, we could not have asked for much more. Put heat on Rudolph, put Denzel on their best guy at wideout, double-team their next-best WR and we’re good to go on D.

Offence: getting Wyatt back would be huge. Run the ball, run the ball, mix in some Baker play action, build a lead and we’re ‘Goin to Kansas City’ or ‘shufflin’ off to Buffalo’.

Hopefully we get our receivers back.

Thoughts on how we beat them, ladies and gents?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/29/20 11:48 PM
First of all, we have to PRAY that this recent Covid stuff is not an issue again. If it is, we’re cooked.

If we are at full strength, we have to do our very best to not turn the ball over. If we don’t give them short fields and momentum, we will be in good shape. Even if we just run it 3 straight times each possession .. I think we’d squeeze out a win.
Posted By: redddog Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/30/20 12:04 AM
We have to score and score a lot.

Even with Rudolf, they'll carve us up with this defense. If we get Harrison back and lose Sendejo, it's like we upgraded the entire saftey unit.
Posted By: redddog Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/30/20 12:08 AM
dupe...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/30/20 12:09 AM

This to me is about covid.

If players are dropped from the roster because of covid it could be major trouble.

I am not underestimating Rudolph. Mike Glennon played well against us. Rudolph could play well.

We have to apply qb pressure. Period.

On offense to me we need to run and use play action. If the blocking is there with the OL.

All will be well.

Most games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

If we block up front we will win.

If we stop their run game and pressure the quarterback we will win.

Of course in any game turnovers can ruin you or if you get them; wins come easy.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/30/20 12:13 AM
Pressuring him is key. Though, we haven’t had Myles at his best for a month and a half. It’s really affected our defense obvioulsyl
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/30/20 12:31 AM
I hope the covid effects go away and he gets back to being himself. If there is permanent damage of some sort making him lose his air, he may never get back to his true form.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/30/20 12:38 AM
First, we won't be going to KC (they have a bye)but a rematch with Pitt is possible.

The most important thing is to not turn the ball over. Short fields and defensive scores can kill any team.

On offense we need to account for TJ Watt on every play. Like Myles he is a game wrecker.Chip him every pass play if you have to.

Like most on this board I would grind it out with heavy doses of Chubb and Hunt. Pittsburgh loves to blitz so I would run the screen game early,as well as moving the pocket. Later I. Would hit them with QB rollouts.

Defensively I feel Pittsburgh will try and run the ball. Stopping the run is going to be important. We can't afford to Allow them to go up and down the field at will. Most games we seem to go in spurts where we allow four,five or more yards per carry.Keep gap integrity and we should be fine

What I'm most worried about is blown assignments in the passing game. with no Goodson and the possibility of no Sendejo our communication is a huge concern
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/30/20 01:16 AM
Another brain freeze, but thanks, man, I totally overlooked iKC’s bye

That actually makes me feel a bit better lol.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/30/20 12:42 PM

The deal on blitz is the hot read.

It has to be recognized by both quarterback and receiver. Someone has to go to the vacated space.

Bernie was unreal on blitzes. He ate that crap up.

Baker is beginning to read it. Communication is key as well.

At this point we should know the Steelers.

We just need to man up and win the game.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 12:20 AM
Pittsburgh can be run on. I don't know who they will rest on defense, but I guarantee one thing, they are going to want to beat us up. They will be resting many, which means the following week if we play them again, their starters will be fresh. If they can take a couple of our key guys out, they will. I look for their defense to try and pound on Baker. Watt and hayward are always hitting the QB late, and hardly ever get called for it. I've watched this in several of their games this year. Last week, Watt was shoving Rivers down after the throw constantly, and Hayward was hitting and landing on top of him after the throw all game. I never saw one flag.

We need to look at their backups and treat them as if they are the starters. Out physical them and if possible run the score up early.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 01:42 AM

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 01:43 AM
It is time for this team to take down these bas^$%$s!

Then kick them in the A$$ the week after in the playoffs!
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 01:33 PM
I would be shocked if Cleveland did not win this game.

Rudolph will hand the ball off all game to back up RBs.. and the Steelers can't run when you have to worry about Ben.

I think the Steelers are using this as a way to see if Rudolph shows any signs of being capable going forward. But I don't expect to see much because they will be seeing them again next week.

Just run the ball... play action Baker when needed.. don't turn it over. Browns probably only need 17 points to win.

HACK
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 02:16 PM

A question.

Do you believe this is the last year of Ben if the Steelers lose in the first round?

Do you believe that Colbert is looking at Darnold?

Or, another option at quarterback next year? Meaning not the draft but going after say Wentz, Darnold etc?

I know Ben stated he wants to play next year. However, do the Steelers want him to play?

Ben looks like his skills have diminished. He will not be better next year. If he does play next year. Most likely that will be it.

The Steelers have always faced reality and moved on from players. Will they do it with Ben?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 02:32 PM
You think they'd cut Ben loose with only Rudolph on the roster?

You think they didn't get enough of a look at him last season? He got benched for Duck.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 03:02 PM
I think Darnold is a real possibility for them. Also there rumors Matt Stafford could be available. He could be a bridge QB for them while they draft someone else.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 03:08 PM

That was not the question.

Ben's salary cap hit is $40+.

If he does play next year that will be it.

So, the Steelers have always been pro-active. Rudolph is not their future and they know that.

They will be to low in the draft to find an answer there. Maybe a guy to develop.

The question is about who will play next year? Ben even if he does play is a injury risk.

So that is why I asked Steelhack about Colbert's plan.

Darnold or Wentz would insure a capable Ben backup.

Or, possible starter.

The NFL is a cold business. It is better to plan early rather then having to react late.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 03:12 PM
I doubt Darnold. Maybe Dak?
There will be quite a few QBs on the move this offseason.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 03:23 PM

IMO Dak will not be leaving Dallas.

There are some other options but most of those may be very short term.
Posted By: FATE Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 04:00 PM
The bottom line with the Steelers is that they have A LOT of tough decisions to make. No way to pay Haden, DeCastro, Watt, Minka and Big Ben. Can't pick up Darnold for 9 million and pay Ben 19. Math just doesn't work.

More talent going out the exit door than coming in. Fact.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 04:18 PM

Anyone feel like we are going to see the Browns at their best, ?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 04:26 PM
I don't think we can really get a feeling until we learn who even will suit up to play.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 05:05 PM
Here's an interesting idea.... bring all of the Watt brothers to CLE.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 05:59 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 06:03 PM
Good ... do it again Sunday
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 06:04 PM
Show it to me on a day that matters.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 06:10 PM
Don't waste all those good throws.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 06:37 PM

In support of Baker.

Frankly, I am getting sick of measuring this guy weekly. All players have good and bad games. He fumbled. I am sure it disgusted him.

That was not where the game was lost.

Covid is a unplanned variable. It happened and no doubt it ruined the game.

Baker is our quarterback. And he will be our quarterback for the foreseeable future.

He is a determined young man. To get to where he is: He has had to overcome plenty of obstacles. Had to comeback from bitter disappointments.

He is all about the Browns and is determined to bring Cleveland a championship. He wants to win. He works hard to win.

He is not perfection. He is a young player who is improving. I am totally behind this guy. His intent is coming from the right place. And his teammates back him.

I am glad he is our quarterback.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 06:39 PM
Good point about “being measured weekly.” ... At some point that hopefully will stop. Every season has ebbs and flows.

I actually think he’ll be WAY better next year as he and Stefanski gel too
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 07:07 PM
I think every performance a player makes gets measured. Keeping it in context seems to be more of the issue.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 08:08 PM
Quote:
More talent going out the exit door than coming in. Fact.

me likey much.
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 08:40 PM
Not only do I think Ben will be back. I think he is going to get extended to get that cap # down. The team was 11-0...but remember most of the talking heads said they were done and would finish no better than 3rd in the AFCN. To start the year

If anyone told me they would be 12-3 and on the way to the playoffs...I would have been ecstatic.

Ben might not be what he was... but he is still the best player on the field in Pitt. As he goes so do their W's

So I think they extend him.. cut that cap number in half. Maybe they try to get a Darnold, Haskins, Wentz... but not at their current salaries.. and not for high compensation. They are all going to have to take less money with the idea of taking over in 2 years. Seriously of the names being thrown about.. even Stafford... Ben is out playing all of them at his age with a new elbow.

I think they look to get a OT and RB early in the draft try to get a running game again

Honestly Bens replacement is probably a freshman in college. They will keep taking a flyer on a Ruldolph type every year or two. But my guess is Ben plays another year..maybe 2 if he stays healthy... then the Steelers bottom out and take a QB at the top of the draft... unless Darnold..Wentz etc.. really want a chance to captain the ship and sign on cheap... and I don't see why they would

HACK
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 08:52 PM
I agree. I think Ben is still good and will be around another year or 2 playing at a high level. He may not be as mobile as he once was but he can still throw and has quite a group of receivers. Hate to say it because he is 28-3-1 against us but it's true.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 12/31/20 09:55 PM
I wasn't too optimistic about beating them after last Sundays game but then I heard they would be sitting Ben and a lot of their starters so I began to feel there was some hope. Now after hearing the guys we will have out and God knows how many more by game time well, let's just say I don't feel there is much of a chance.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 12:54 AM
We will once again be beaten by their backups, I've seen this movie many times. The curse lives.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 01:20 AM
We are not losing this week (thanks Diam) with all our offensive weapons we have against a defense missing Heyward and Watt. No way Rudolph will be able to score with us.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 02:07 AM
Hello, Hack. Good to see you again. On paper, I think it leans our way.

Fair and objective assessment IMO. Wondered gif you felt Rudolph is the Future or not. We made him look like a champ. I really don't see him as a regular starter. Just wondered what the feeling out of your fans might be.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 02:10 AM
Match this intensity.

Win.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 02:19 AM
Quote:
Fair and objective assessment IMO. Wondered gif you felt Rudolph is the Future or not. We made him look like a champ.

Fair and objective assessment IMO. Wondered gif you felt Rudolph is the Future or not. We made him look like a chump.

Fixed it for you. smile
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 02:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Hello, Hack. Good to see you again. On paper, I think it leans our way.

Fair and objective assessment IMO. Wondered gif you felt Rudolph is the Future or not. We made him look like a champ. I really don't see him as a regular starter. Just wondered what the feeling out of your fans might be.

Quote:
Honestly Bens replacement is probably a freshman in college. They will keep taking a flyer on a Ruldolph type every year or two.

Last time we played against Rudolph, we beat him like a drum...not just Myles.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 02:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
No way Rudolph will be able to score with us.

We lost last year to a guy named Duck, and now you just spoke *that* into existence.... have you not seen our Defense this year????
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 02:56 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
No way Rudolph will be able to score with us.

We lost last year to a guy named Duck, and now you just spoke *that* into existence.... have you not seen our Defense this year????
haha yeah, I’m WAY worried about both sides of the ball. Pittsburgh is gonna be highly motivated, I’ll guarantee that. Even though they will be missing their top 3-4 players, they’ll wanna beat us very badly
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 11:28 AM
Thanks for the note. Underneath my posted questions for Hack, I really want to usher in the Rudolph dynasty of losing to us. I vote to keep him. Same as Marvelous Marv and the Bungles. rofl
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 12:34 PM
The key is to get an early lead. But minus that to really just get MR to have to throw the ball. Pitt isn't going to change what they have done all year. 3 yard passes have been substituted for a real running game. Hack said it best when he said he believes Pitt will take a RB in the draft. Their RB's stink. Our Run D isn't the best but they can shut down the run when they choose too. An early lead will take away any ideas they have about running.

MR is going to need to step up in the pocket MG beat the hell out of him last year. On nearly every play Garret hit him, that needs to continue but the real key is going to be making him back up in the pocket so Garret can nail his ass.

I don't see us losing this game. We will display how far this team has come at least on the offensive side of the ball, from there I don't see Pitt being able to keep pace. I believe that even if Ben plays.

I have written Pitt off many times so here goes again. I have seen things from Ben this year that lead me to believe that his elbow injury is sort of day to day. But it's impossible IMO to not notice his lack of zip and accuracy when trying to get the ball down the field. How he plays depends on how he feels that day, from where I sit he has more bad days then good. Pitt has done a fabulous job scheming up their offense to deal with their limited ability to run on a consistent bases and to get the ball out quickly in the passing game. When the quick passing game is taken away and they are forced to work the ball down the field things get iffy for them.

We WILL win this game, in fact I don't believe it will even be close.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 02:13 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 02:40 PM
What is a Kyle Brandt and why would Baker need a pep talk from him?
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 03:18 PM
And why would BM listen? And why would this matter to him in the first place?

Let him listen to the coach's speech in Any Given Sunday. Better yet, let him listen to Patton's address to the troops. That stirs me up.

Just win, baby. Unleash The Elf at last.

Go, Browns! brownie
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 03:18 PM
Kyle is a cohost of a show on NFL Network called Good Morning Football. On his resume is he was on a reality Tv show that was on MTV.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 03:22 PM
QB for the Bills? Part of Jim Rome Show? BM has to have better things to do. Get the Patton dusted off.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 04:04 PM
Baker doesn't need a pep talk from anybody. He is self motivated like any good employee is. I got on him for those fumbles because I'm frustrated from these things happening for the last 50+ years. I want him to be our franchise QB, to do well and most of all to win Sunday. I don't care if we win because Pittsburgh doesn't play their starters. Did anyone care when they rolled over us because we had our 3rd or even 4th string QB playing. Bruce Gradkowski anyone. I don't know if we'll win Sunday but I sure hope so!!!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 04:29 PM
Kyle is a cohost of a show on NFL Network called Good Morning Football. On his resume is he was on a reality Tv show that was on MTV.

Sooooo, he's just another nobody that likes to hear himself talk.
Posted By: myka Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 04:55 PM
Here's an interesting idea.... bring all of the Watt brothers to CLE.

We had our chance. We took Jabrill Peppers and David Njoku instead. I remember it vividly as I screamed at the TV all day.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 05:57 PM
You are replying to me but I didn’t say what your quote says. Someone else did.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 05:57 PM
It was all part of the five year plan.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 07:11 PM

Line of scrimmage.

Browns offensive line against the Steelers front.

If we control the LOS we win. It will set up the run and open play action.

On defense losing Ward really hurts. It will be on the DL to stop their run game and apply non-stop pressure on Rudolph.

This game is about the big boys.

They are resting defensive linemen and offensive linemen.

That is where we must win this game.

Win there and rest will be easy.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 07:49 PM
Myles Garrett will be this week's game captain. Kevin Stefanski says in no way is it a call back to last year "It's a big game and we want to send the big guy out there"

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1345094540865236993
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 09:19 PM
An interesting aside, Garrett Gilbert started for the Cowboys against Pittsburgh week nine. Gilbert completed 21-of-38 passes for 243 yards, one touchdown and an interception in his first career start. He was Baker’s best man, so MAYBE he has some tidbits to share. But eight weeks ago is an eternity in this league.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 09:56 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 10:02 PM

Mentally I have gone full circle.

I was stressed out about the covid list. Who was going to play on both teams.

I am past all that.

I don't care if they force the long snapper to play quarterback.

Just win this damn game. Win this game. Get to the playoffs. Get that damn monkey off our back.

I am so sick of all curse crap. All the media pouring over all our failures. All the crap about our record. How many times we have lost to the Steelers. The quarterback list.
Who was our coach way back then. Remember Kelly Holcomb?

Win this game and start a new conversation. What we now have in place. Where we are headed. Going to camp with the same coaches. No quarterback controversy. How we can be a great team for years.

Win Sunday.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 10:04 PM
Exactly. In the words of Bill Parcells ... “this is why you lift all them weights”

There’s a time to just do it
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 11:04 PM
What is a Kyle Brandt and why would Baker need a pep talk from him?

That's my line! rofl

What is a Kyle Brandt?????????
Posted By: Dave Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/01/21 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
You are replying to me but I didn’t say what your quote says. Someone else did.

When posters use "Quick Reply" it shows the person who started the thread as the one being replied to. Its why I wish we'd dump "Quick Reply".
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 12:16 AM
Unless the poster clicks the Quick Reply link in a specific post, then it shows as being a reply to that post in particular.

Only if the poster uses the quick reply box without first clicking Quick Reply on a specific post will it default to showing as a reply to the original post.
Posted By: Dave Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 12:18 AM
I was referring to the box at the bottom of the page.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 12:26 AM
j/c

I think above all this is a game where we have to get back to basics. Since Baker got the hot hand we've seen the offense start to shade a little to the 1 dimensional. In a way I don't blame Ski because you should ride that horse but Baker was throwing way too much too early last week. I know the run game wasn't producing early but it always hasn't. Its strength has always been what it can do in the latter half of the game.

With our O=Line back there is no reason we don't put Chubb and Hunt back in front and let this offense run through them. Take the pressure off of Baker to be the driving force and let him feel it out, look for his shots. They'll be there. There is no reason to force anything.
Posted By: Dave Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 12:35 AM
I'd love to see Chubb and Hunt on the field at the same time a lot more than we have. I think they force a defense to be on their heels, even if just a split second, to make sure who actually has the ball.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave
I'd love to see Chubb and Hunt on the field at the same time a lot more than we have. I think they force a defense to be on their heels, even if just a split second, to make sure who actually has the ball.

One thing I don't we mention all that much is just how consistent our players have been this season in carrying through their play fakes. Too often we see QBs and RBs half-arse the motions and reveal the fake too early. Not our guys. When they get a defense to bite, they get them to bite hard. IMO its the motions that a player does when he doesn't have the ball to sell it that makes play action effective.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 12:47 AM
Yes, that would be the box I spoke of. If you just type in it and hit submit, then yes, your reply will look like it is addressed to the original post. However, if you click Quick Reply on a post like I just did to yours, then the page automatically moves you to the bottom of the page and you can type in that same box, and when you hit Submit it will now show you as replying to that post and NOT the original post.
Posted By: Dave Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 12:49 AM
Play-action is a thing Mayfield doesn't get enough credit for, IMO. He's really good at it.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 12:49 AM
j/c...

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 12:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

lets hope we see it Sunday
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave
Play-action is a thing Mayfield doesn't get enough credit for, IMO. He's really good at it.

Some of the most convincing play fakes in the game today. Some are just beautiful. That ball virtually disappears sometimes.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 03:32 PM
I have said this as well all year at various times, and with Landry, we have another passer. The idea of Chubb off tackle and Hunt wider just seems to me a great idea. Play action off of this, BM running some, Challenge their D with a few different things.

Playoffs! : Unleash. The. Elf. brownie
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 07:42 PM
We've made the following roster moves:

Signed:
G Blake Hance (from the Jets’ PS)

Activated from Reserve/COVID-19:
S Karl Joseph

Elevated from practice squad:
G Cordell Iwuagwu (standard elevation)
LB Montrel Meander (COVID-19 replacement)
T Alex Taylor (COVID-19 replacement)
Posted By: redddog Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 08:44 PM
We should be able to win this game. As it's been said before, if we don't, we didn't belong anyway.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: redddog
We should be able to win this game. As it's been said before, if we don't, we didn't belong anyway.
thats where I am too ... tired of worrying about who’s playing or if we can do it.

As Hamlet said: to be or not to be, that is the question
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/02/21 11:08 PM
Come to the table hungry! Hope we put it on them. VERY eager for this game. This is looking better for us IMO. I am leery of it, having been snakebitten over the years by this game.

Get this danged monkey off our back!

Go, Browns!
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 12:28 AM
Originally Posted By: redddog

And win easily.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 12:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I have said this as well all year at various times, and with Landry, we have another passer. The idea of Chubb off tackle and Hunt wider just seems to me a great idea. Play action off of this, BM running some, Challenge their D with a few different things.

Playoffs! : Unleash. The. Elf. brownie

That's flubbed up imo.

One of the worst things they did against the jets was line Hunt out wide.
It took him out of the game.

What hunt did for eleven games is what he needs to do here,

Not pretend to play Wr in one week when there were others I mentioned,
Even Ward, both dbs' KJ, KJ,

Just don't line hunt up out wide.

Geesh, Hitler didn't move his tanks either. (oy vey. where the x did my mind go)

... Chubb has fallen off as a consistent every down threat.
He needs Hunt there to actually get the carries that'll win this game.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 11:58 AM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
....oy vey. where the x did my mind go)

..... superconfused. We've been wondering that for awhile...no answers as of yet. (j/k)
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 12:13 PM
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 12:54 PM
Just a reminder to everybody. This IS the NFL. Every team has talent and every team has backup players who are chomping at the bit to play and prove themselves. They are play to continue their jobs and their pride, or to be noticed by another team that will benefit them when they become free agents. IMO This game is not going to be a easy win (IF we win at all) it's not going to be a cake walk. The Steelers will show up to pay and to play hard.

Week one many folks thought we could win.... we got stomped.
week two most people thought we would blow out the Bengals.... we didn't.
week six most people thought we had a chance to beat Pittsburgh... instead we got embarrassed.
week seven most folks thought we would blow out the Bengals again..... we squeaked out a win.
week eight we got upset by the Raiders
week 9 we squeaked out another win against The Texans
week 11 we were lucky to get by Jacksonville by 2 points.
week 16 we lose to the 1-13 Jets who also have a lot of players missing from the game.

So now we go into week 17 needing to beat Pittsburgh to make the playoffs and we are missing both starting CB's and our 4th best cb. Missing two linebackers and have two others banged up. Missing a starting safety, and a backup safety. We are still not sure if Willis and Teller will be OK to play the whole game, and our best backup O-lineman are out. We are missing one or our best TE's. We are also missing both our O-line coach and his assistant, and our receivers coach/ passing game coordinator.

Lets just hope we can pull off a win.

GO BROWNS
Posted By: bigdatut Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 12:59 PM
That moment, that play... I can still feel the upper deck vibrating beneath my feet, I can still feel the joy with my dad as we high fived each other and everyone around us...

Man I hope to have a moment similar to that this afternoon...
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 02:05 PM
If you happen to step outside this afternoon during the game the yelling you will hear will be from here in eastern PA.

5 Wins to go, It starts today.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 02:08 PM
Agreed. Well, the day of reckoning is here. Will it be a great win to get us in the playoffs or another heart brake. We shall see. I'm naturally hoping for the win but am preparing for the latter.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 02:49 PM
Hey why don't you join the marine marching crew, long distance edition!

The NFL really haS me pitched off!

NOt only is this the LAST game I want to see in 25 years!

But The punk as nfl is going to take away the game I want to watch!
Browns vs Bills one!
or Browns vs Titans two!
or even
Browns vs Dolphins one!

Even if they Win, watching Browns vs Steelrs is about the most BORING football game I can think of to watch!

I think it's a disgrace that we're stuc in the same div as the steelers, and the same div as the ravens

And after 30 years, the only playoff games we can see, if they even win, is another game against the steelers.

The NFL IS NOT EVEN WORTH IT TO WATCH!
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 03:17 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Hey why don't you join the marine marching crew, long distance edition!

The NFL really haS me pitched off!

NOt only is this the LAST game I want to see in 25 years!

But The punk as nfl is going to take away the game I want to watch!
Browns vs Bills one!
or Browns vs Titans two!
or even
Browns vs Dolphins one!

Even if they Win, watching Browns vs Steelrs is about the most BORING football game I can think of to watch!

I think it's a disgrace that we're stuc in the same div as the steelers, and the same div as the ravens

And after 30 years, the only playoff games we can see, if they even win, is another game against the steelers.

The NFL IS NOT EVEN WORTH IT TO WATCH!

Crying changes nothing, none of this matters if you win.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 03:22 PM
Posted By: Jcamm Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 03:25 PM
Just win no excuses, weather Covid don't care, Mud it up if need be. This is Bakers last chance to shut up the haters JUST DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: jfanent Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 03:50 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Just a reminder to everybody. This IS the NFL. Every team has talent and every team has backup players who are chomping at the bit to play and prove themselves. They are play to continue their jobs and their pride, or to be noticed by another team that will benefit them when they become free agents. IMO This game is not going to be a easy win (IF we win at all) it's not going to be a cake walk. The Steelers will show up to pay and to play hard.

week six most people thought we had a chance to beat Pittsburgh... instead we got embarrassed.
week seven most folks thought we would blow out the Bengals again..... we squeaked out a win.
week 16 we lose to the 1-13 Jets who also have a lot of players missing from the game.

So now we go into week 17 needing to beat Pittsburgh to make the playoffs and we are missing both starting CB's and our 4th best cb. Missing two linebackers and have two others banged up. Missing a starting safety, and a backup safety. We are still not sure if Willis and Teller will be OK to play the whole game, and our best backup O-lineman are out. We are missing one or our best TE's. We are also missing both our O-line coach and his assistant, and our receivers coach/ passing game coordinator.

GO BROWNS

Yes indeed. Like you, I have 40+ years of experience thinking the Steelers are going down because of injuries, poor record, we're favored, they've got no reason to give 100%, looking crappy in previous games etc. only to watch us get beat. We'd better be ready for this one.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 03:54 PM

Nobody is forcing you watch a thing.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 04:05 PM
We win we're in! I agree about running the ball. Especially if the weather is bad. Also no costly penalties or TOs.

It's good that Ben Roethlisberger is sitting this out but Our defense still needs to play better.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 04:08 PM

Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 04:27 PM

Bitonio.

That is funny. Go team
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 04:31 PM
well, I dreamt last night that we beat (drubbed) the Bills in the AFC Championship game, so that kinda bodes well for the next couple of weeks.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

GO BROWNS

I just hope we win also but some of your points above I don't agree with.

Not sure by "many people" if you mean Browns fans or NFL fans & media nationally.

I certainly did not think we would beat the Ravens and also thought we had little chance to blow out the Bengals. You also changed your points from expectations (thinking Browns win) to just beating teams we should.

I think most Browns fans thought we would struggle against TN and that Baker would completely fall apart against that defense.

I never expect to win, especially after this team's performance the past 20 years. We "should" win today but I am certainly not holding my breath.

Another thing, fan optimism is not unique to this team. I follow the Bengals message board and for as bad as they have been under ZT, many of their fans predicted they would stomp us both games. They have several predicting a win over the Ravens today also. They feel their backup is the best QB also. Some of them this week implied Burrow might be expendable.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
yes
Posted By: Hammer Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 05:08 PM
Here's hoping you are clairvoyant...
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 05:16 PM
To win today we have to have long drives and keep moving the chains. I don't trust our D with all the starters we have out. Heck, I wouldn't trust our D if we were healthy. Our O has to keep our D off the field as much as possible. Pittsburgh has pretty much owned us for the good part of the last 48 years with the only exception in the mid to late 80's. I never feel confident or comfortable playing them no matter what. I really want us to win today but I'm not holding my breath. If we do win it will be a pleasant surprise.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
To win today we have to have long drives and keep moving the chains. I don't trust our D with all the starters we have out. Heck, I wouldn't trust our D if we were healthy. Our O has to keep our D off the field as much as possible. Pittsburgh has pretty much owned us for the good part of the last 48 years with the only exception in the mid to late 80's. I never feel confident or comfortable playing them no matter what. I really want us to win today but I'm not holding my breath. If we do win it will be a pleasant surprise.

I agree. I keep being surprised by how well the D played last year when Rudolph was playing. That gives me a little hope even with guys out. The difference to me is I think our O is better and Pitt sitting who they are and Haden out gives me optimism. Still it's Pittsburgh, and I won't relax until we are ahead with 0:00 and we have the W.

Go Browns.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 05:26 PM
Here's hoping JJ does his Tik Tok dance at midfield.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 05:30 PM
Redwine may be starting.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 05:33 PM
Browns warmups

Mitchell and Jackson at corner
Second group: Thomas and Stewart

Linebacker: Phillips in the middle w/Takitaki and Wilson

Safety: Redwine and Harison
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 05:33 PM
After the bengals game JuJu said he wasn't doing that any more.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Here's hoping JJ does his Tik Tok dance at midfield.

Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Beating Pittsburgh - 01/03/21 09:48 PM
Great point! Self correcting problem.

More pressing issue: Is The Island open for business? Imagine the ferries can double up for this.

Great win, men! brownie
© DawgTalkers.net